PDA

View Full Version : 3-4 Draft Rankings...

TheDave
01-09-2010, 10:16 AM
Just came across this site. Obviously it is VERY early in the process, but at least some decent discussion material regarding the draft and our 3-4.

http://www.newerascouting.com/defense-ratings/3-4-defensive-end/

2010 3-4 DE Rankings

OVR Pos. Rank Player Pos. School Ht. Wt. Proj. Rd. Stock
1 1 Ndamukon Suh 3-4 DE Nebraska 6-4 302 Top 10 same
5 2 Gerald McCoy 3-4 DE Oklahoma 6-4 295 Top 10 up
24 3 Corey Wootton 3-4 DE Northwestern 6-6 280 1 same
55 4 Tyson Alualu 3-4 DE California 6-2 295 2 same
90 5 D’Anthony Smith 3-4 DE Louisiana Tech 6-2 300 3 same
120 6 Alex Carrington 3-4 DE Arkansas State 6-5 284 4 same
174 7 Jeffrey Fitzgerald 3-4 DE Kansas State 6-4 280 6 same
212 8 John Fletcher 3-4 DE Wyoming 6-6 272 7 same
229 9 Doug Worthington 3-4 DE Ohio State 6-5 276 7 same
248 10 Greg Middleton 3-4 DE Indiana 6-3 284 FA down

http://www.newerascouting.com/defense-ratings/nose-tackle/

2010 NT Rankings

28 1 Dan Williams NT Tennessee 6-2 327 1 up
37 2 Terrence Cody NT Alabama 6-4 365 2 same
62 3 Lamarr Houston NT Texas 6-2 300 2 up
115 4 Mike Neal NT Purdue 6-3 302 4 same
132 5 Torrell Troup NT UCF 6-3 314 4 same
223 6 Jeff Owens NT Georgia 6-1 306 7 down
249 7 Jay Ross NT East Carolina 6-3 314 FA same
279 8 Brandon Deadrick NT Alabama 6-4 296 FA down
291 9 Cam Thomas NT North Carolina 6-3 328 FA down

http://www.newerascouting.com/defense-ratings/3-4-outside-linebacker/

2010 3-4 OLB Ratings

12 1 Sergio Kindle 3-4 OLB Texas 6-4 255 1 up
14 2 Brandon Graham 3-4 OLB Michigan 6-1 263 1 same
15 3 Greg Hardy 3-4 OLB Ole Miss 6-4 265 1 injury
19 4 Ricky Sapp 3-4 OLB Clemson 6-4 248 1 same
20 5 Eric Norwood 3-4 OLB South Carolina 6-0 252 1 same
31 6 Jerry Hughes 3-4 OLB TCU 6-2 257 1 same
65 7 George Selvie 3-4 OLB South Florida 6-4 245 2 down
92 8 Jermaine Cunningham 3-4 OLB Florida 6-3 252 3 same
139 9 Danny Batten 3-4 OLB South Dakota State 6-3 250 4 up
142 10 Koa Misi 3-4 OLB Utah 6-2 263 4 same

WolfpackGuy
01-09-2010, 10:20 AM
I'd like to see Denver end up with one or two of those NT's.

Lev Vyvanse
01-09-2010, 10:24 AM
I'd like to see Denver end up with one or two of those NT's.

We only need one.

Pony Boy
01-09-2010, 10:28 AM
Big drop off after Suh and McCoy, and no chance at Suh but McCoy could be there. It makes more sense because there isn't a chance in hell MdDaniel's will take a QB with the top pick, less of a chance of getting burned...

Bigdawg26
01-09-2010, 10:49 AM
MOUNT CODY!!!!!!!! He was awesome in the BCS championship. Did you see when he moved the center, guard, and quarterback completely backwards on third and 1?

bpc
01-09-2010, 10:58 AM
These rankings are flawed.

1st of all, I think Suh is a better fit at NT in a 3-4, than 3-4 DE. Just my opinion but that's where his strength is at. He's not a laterally defenders like a 3-4 DE would need to be and his speed up the field will not generate a huge pass rush when lined up in a 5 technique.

That's one of the reasons why I think McCoy is a great fit for the 3-4. He's actually played the position at OU, along with all along the LOS, and has more athletic ability than Suh.

The fact that Jason Pierre-Paul at OLB is not on this list is a joke. Let me first credit Mediator, as he notified me of this guy in the draft thread. I did some research on the guy and he has elite size, speed, and athletic abilility coming off the edge of a defense. He's not polished and has only been playing football about four seasons but somebody is going to take a chance on this guy early. I would easily say he's a better fit than Ricky Sapp, Brandon Graham (too big), and even Greg Hardy at OLB. No doubt in my mind.

Check out the vid...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/V4-1e6Faglw&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/V4-1e6Faglw&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

WolfpackGuy
01-09-2010, 11:01 AM
Someone to hog up 2 of the interior offensive linemen would do wonders for the defense.

bpc
01-09-2010, 11:17 AM
Action film.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/tP0rhntrT7I&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/tP0rhntrT7I&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Only four years playing football... not polished but he'll probably run a 4.6 to 4.7, he's 6'6", 265lbs, and is primarily a former basketball player. He has a 81 inch wingspan.

barryr
01-09-2010, 11:38 AM
Suh would be a great pick to play DT for a 4-3 team. I don't think he would do well at NT in a 3-4.

The Broncos need at least one DE and probably a NT, but whether any of the guys other than the top 2-3 will do anything is a crapshoot of course.

Broncos need a playmaker on defense somewhere in the front seven at least.

TheDave
01-09-2010, 11:41 AM
By the way... not that he is mentioned here

But why is everyone so high on Rolando McClain? I've watched a few videos of him and he doesn't seem anywhere near as impressive as the scouting reports I've read.

Has anyone here spent much time watching him?

gyldenlove
01-09-2010, 11:43 AM
I would love Brandon Graham if he falls to the 2nd round. I hate Michigan defensive linemen more than I hate ants in my underwear, but Graham would be a great LOLB across from Dumervil and it would allow us to bulk up Ayers and move him to DE where he is better suited.

TheChamp24
01-09-2010, 11:48 AM
I think Kindle will be a bust, the guy just seems to get by on his speed and talent rather than have anything else to work with.
I think Wootton would be a good pick up in the late 1st if we get into that range somehow.
Ideally, get McCoy in the 1st to play DE, and then hope Cody falls in round 2 to us.

Dr. Broncenstein
01-09-2010, 11:49 AM
Mount Cody, please.

s0phr0syne
01-09-2010, 01:08 PM
Jeremy Beal out of OU to me looks like an amazing prospect at OLB in a 3-4. The guy has been a quiet monster for OU the past 3 or 4 years.

Has anyone seen him being mentioned? I don't know how severe his injury was in the Sun Bowl, but I feel as though he's being overlooked.

peacepipe
01-09-2010, 01:16 PM
Suh would be a great pick to play DT for a 4-3 team. I don't think he would do well at NT in a 3-4.
The Broncos need at least one DE and probably a NT, but whether any of the guys other than the top 2-3 will do anything is a crapshoot of course.

Broncos need a playmaker on defense somewhere in the front seven at least.

Suh isn't projected to play NT, he's projected to play DE in a 3-4. So if by some miracle he's there at our pick he would fill the need for DE. Where is he projected to play NT?

Broncosfreak_56
01-09-2010, 01:17 PM
Trade Bmarsh for a high first and get McCoy. Then Get McClain with our first. And pray mount Cody falls to our second rounder.

Defense=Fixed.

DBroncos4life
01-09-2010, 01:32 PM
ILB is a must this year. Ronando McClain and Brandon Spikes are my first two choices. Phillip Dillard is a guy I seen make lots of plays and improve as they year went along for the Huskers. He might be a late round guy worth looking at. Pelini really lit a fire under his ass by benching him to start the season.

watermock
01-09-2010, 01:34 PM
We traded Mt. Cody to Seattle.

NFLBRONCO
01-09-2010, 01:42 PM
Do you think Cody will go in round 1.

Hamrob
01-09-2010, 01:48 PM
This is the best Mock Draft Site I've seen:

http://www.hailredskins.com/MockDraft.htm

DBroncos4life
01-09-2010, 01:50 PM
Do you think Cody will go in round 1.

No.

Hamrob
01-09-2010, 01:54 PM

But why is everyone so high on Rolando McClain? I've watched a few videos of him and he doesn't seem anywhere near as impressive as the scouting reports I've read.

Has anyone here spent much time watching him?I agree. I'm not impressed either. He seems to be a big guy who doesn't take angles, has average speed at best and gets lost on many plays. Not the guy I want.

Bigdawg26
01-09-2010, 02:13 PM
Man you must not watch the SEC!! Rolando McClain finished this season with 104 tackles, 4 sacks and 2 picks. That guys is 6-4 260 and plays with nothing but his instincts which allows him to take proper angles. The only thing that would make him fall is if he runs a 4.7 in the forty then he will drop to second round.

Ambiguous
01-09-2010, 02:16 PM

I agree, his tackling kinda sucks IMO... What is his big strength?

HEAV
01-09-2010, 02:56 PM

I watch footage of him the other day (some poster was rave'n about him) and I wasn't impressed at all. He's a bigger ILB, but he looked slow and being slow in College will only look worse in the NFL.

McClain will need a big front 4 or 3 infront of him, he doesn't shed blockers well and gets caughtr up in traffic.

I just don't see the hype in him.

TheDave
01-09-2010, 03:01 PM
Well I'm glad I'm not the only one with some questions about the kid.

gyldenlove
01-09-2010, 03:04 PM
No.

He will, it is the Parcells doctrine, there are only so many fat guys who can play football so grap them before someone else does.

With the popularity of the 3-4 there will be some team who will take him, currently I am looking at San Diego who saw this year how vulnerable their defense is without Williams.

Popps
01-09-2010, 04:18 PM
I watch footage of him the other day (some poster was rave'n about him) and I wasn't impressed at all. He's a bigger ILB, but he looked slow and being slow in College will only look worse in the NFL.

McClain will need a big front 4 or 3 infront of him, he doesn't shed blockers well and gets caughtr up in traffic.

No thanks. We've already got one like that.

DBroncos4life
01-09-2010, 04:31 PM

Rolando McClain Scouting Report
By Matt McGuire

# Strengths: Huge frame for ILB
# Very long arms
# Good level of production
# Comfortable in coverage
# Excellent tackling technique
# Stacks and sheds blocks well
# Very good pass rusher
# Love his timing on blitzes
# Nice agility; smooth change of direction
# Highly experienced
# Takes good angles to the ball
# Stays in control
# Nice versatility especially in 3-4 defense
# Vocal leader
# Intelligent
# Very young prospect (20 years old)
# Doesn't take plays off
# Outstanding instincts
# Well versed in 3-4 defense

Weaknesses:
# Unimpressive speed
# Overpursues against run
# Questionable 4-3 inside linebacker
# Average sideline-sideline range
# Good, but not an exceptional athlete
# Could be exposed in man scheme
# Doesn't have huge upside
# A little uncomfortable in space

Summary: I really don't think McClain is a 4-3 inside linebacker. The speed and lateral range just isn't there for me, and I think he would be exposed because he will overpursue gaps. McClain is great for 3-4 teams because he can play inside, but also move over to the outside if needed temporarily. His best fits are at 3-4 inside linebacker and 4-3 strongside linebacker. McClain is a solid prospect who will likely come off the board in the top 20 picks.

Player Comparison: Bart Scott. Scott has great instincts and size, and is a leader at inside linebacker in the 3-4 defense.

He is a 3-4 MLB. He plays the position in college. Not only that the guy is a film junkie. They claim he even watches game film with his girlfriend.

Bigdawg26
01-09-2010, 04:42 PM
We really don't need McClain we have DJ and Andra Davis already who play pretty in the middle what we need a Big NG and/or two DE's and an outside rush backer that can help Dumervil. I like big Cody!!

DBroncos4life
01-09-2010, 04:53 PM
We really don't need McClain we have DJ and Andra Davis already who play pretty in the middle what we need a Big NG and/or two DE's and an outside rush backer that can help Dumervil. I like big Cody!!
I disagree, we need a leader in the front 7 like Willis or Lewis. Talent wise I wouldn't say McClain is as good as those two but I think his impact will be felt on the front 7. DJ isn't vocal enough and Davis is slipping.

meangene
01-09-2010, 05:33 PM
You people questioning McClain are crazy. Did you watch the BCS championship game? He was playing after being out sick with the flu all week. He is a can't miss three down linebacker with incredible instincts and measurables. We can only hope he is there when we pick. Here is a great article about him:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/column...van&id=4619628

meangene
01-09-2010, 05:38 PM
How can you not have guys like Brian Price, Arthur Jones, Jared Odrick and Vince Oghobaase ranked as 3-4 DE's? Some others who may declare: Marvin Austin, Carlos Dunlap, Cameron Heyward and Adrian Clayborn. There will be quality players who can play 3-4 DE well into the second round.

TheDave
01-09-2010, 05:40 PM
You people questioning McClain are crazy. Did you watch the BCS championship game? He was playing after being out sick with the flu all week. He is a can't miss three down linebacker with incredible instincts and measurables. We can only hope he is there when we pick. Here is a great article about him:

///
The URL you requested does not exist, but you may be interested in the content below.

meangene
01-09-2010, 05:50 PM
Try this:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/columns/story?columnist=maisel_ivan&id=4619628

TheDave
01-09-2010, 05:58 PM
Try this:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/columns/story?columnist=maisel_ivan&id=4619628

"I'm so competitive," McClain said. "I want to be the best at everything I do. Growing up, I wanted to be the smartest, wanted to be the best swimmer, whatever it was we were doing. Against everybody, anything I did. Whether it was in the classroom or whatever, I always wanted to be the best. I'm hard on myself. I know I'm not perfect and I know I'm never going to be perfect. At the same time, I can always work and be better because I want to get there. Coach says I'm too much of a perfectionist."

Wow... Gotta like that.

skpac1001
01-09-2010, 05:59 PM
He will, it is the Parcells doctrine, there are only so many fat guys who can play football so grap them before someone else does.

With the popularity of the 3-4 there will be some team who will take him, currently I am looking at San Diego who saw this year how vulnerable their defense is without Williams.

I think Mt. Cody belongs to earlier versions of the 3-4, the ones where size is everything and athletic ability doesn't matter on the D-line. The 80's, early 90's style of 3-4. The ones being run now are either 1 gap style 3-4's, or very versital deceptive multi-dimensional 3-4's, like the Belicheck or zone-blitz ones, in which Cody would be a pretty limited situational player because he can't routinely do all that is required of a NT today besides take up space. I don't think he will be taken in the first, and may slip even after that.
At least, that is my thoroughly non-professional understanding of it.

IHaveALight
01-09-2010, 05:59 PM
We need bigger, better Dlineman. We don't need to be spending high picks on OLB or ILB. I hope our 1st and 2nd round picks are spent on QB, Oline or Dline.

bpc
01-09-2010, 06:08 PM
I would love Brandon Graham if he falls to the 2nd round. I hate Michigan defensive linemen more than I hate ants in my underwear, but Graham would be a great LOLB across from Dumervil and it would allow us to bulk up Ayers and move him to DE where he is better suited.

I like Graham. He's a good football player. I don't think he can stand up though and play OLB. He's got a really thick lower trunk to his body where he holds a lot of his weight. Think Casey Hampton, except less. It affects his straight line speed (he really needs to build up a running start to go fast) and his change of direction. He isn't fast so much as he's quick to an OT's outside shoulder and has a nice burst off the LOS with his hand down. He won't really run around them though. He also gets similar leverage as Elvis pass rushing because he's short, I just don't think he has the athletic ability to stand up and play.

I've toiled over this thought of Graham. Where do you use him? He could be a 4-3 end like Elvis. He's been a great powerside DE for Michigan at times. I've had an outlandish though where Graham beefs up and could play NT in the 3-4. I actually think his quickness would be totally disruptive at the position and would cause a lot of problems for opposing offensive lines and blocking schemes.

Here's some video. He's #55.

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/WYkgFvVyZ7w&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/WYkgFvVyZ7w&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

He's a good football player though.

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/AEisqOyYhqU&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/AEisqOyYhqU&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/duCiUYUayVk&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/duCiUYUayVk&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

bpc
01-09-2010, 06:11 PM
We need bigger, better Dlineman. We don't need to be spending high picks on OLB or ILB. I hope our 1st and 2nd round picks are spent on QB, Oline or Dline.

We're very much in need of another playmaker at the LB spot.

3-4 DL normally are easier to find because they are just expected to hold the point against multiple blockers and don't need to be premium pass rushers.

We need to find help at both positions but premium DL are easier to find than LB, outside of NT.

bpc
01-09-2010, 06:13 PM

I questioned him but you are right, he had a very solid championship game. He deserves to be in the running for our 1st pick.

misturanderson
01-09-2010, 06:21 PM

This is what I'm wondering. Before that game I had only seen a couple games of his and focused on him only for a few plays. In those instances I came away unimpressed, but when I focused on him (it was hard not to at the beginning of the game) in the championship game I came away a huge fan.

The guy takes much better angles than our current MLBs do and absolutely had the instincts to stuff the right gap and step into passing lanes. He is a leader on and off the field and could take over the leadership roles that our safeties currently occupy in a couple years. He could be an emotional leader that also acts as the QB of our defense.

On top of all of those intangibles, he's also a very imposing physical specimen. He isn't an elite athlete, but he has elite size and adequate athleticism.

There are a few players I would rather us take in the 1st, but it is fairly likely that Suh, Berry and Gerald McCoy will all be gone by the 11th pick. If we can't trade back and gain some picks, I think we'd have to pick McClain unless Champ is moved in which case we might have to pick Haden.

bpc
01-09-2010, 06:25 PM

We need an upgrade at MLB for sure. DJ is a product of the guys around him and how they are playing. He's not a great player who would dominate on any defense, by himself. A guy that could cover up his weak instincts would be a big improvement on this unit.

Andra Davis was a guy who came in with a rep for burning out in the 3-4 defense as the season goes along and I think this year showed that was exactly true. He notched 30 tackles over his last 7 games. 0 sacks. Over his first 9 he had 60 tackles and 4 sacks. He had a great impact on our defense during the 1st six games we won... then his overall game fell off and the run defense went to hell. He's got maybe one more season left as a stop gap player but we very much need to find somebody to fill the spot.

rmsanger
01-09-2010, 06:29 PM
People were impressed with Jarvin Moss's play at the BCS Championship game as well and we all know how that turned out. Not saying McClain = Moss but thought it was a relevant statement.

bpc
01-09-2010, 06:36 PM
People were impressed with Jarvin Moss's play at the BCS Championship game as well and we all know how that turned out. Not saying McClain = Moss but thought it was a relevant statement.

I would say completely different prospects. I wouldn't have McClain first on my board but he's a guy that has game against the run and pass, plus size and speed. That would help us tremendously.

Moss was a bowlegged defensive lineman who had trouble putting on weight and anchoring against the run. He had littel if any lateral quickness.

He wouldn't be the first guy on my list right now but I wouldn't be disappointed with him either. DJ and McClain would be a nice setup at MLB.
I think we would be good at LB if we could pickup a guy like Chris Gucong (FA-Philly) and have him challenge Haggans for his starting spot.

misturanderson
01-09-2010, 06:42 PM

McClain was thought of as a top15 prospect prior to that game though. I personally didn't see what the big deal was before, but I had really only focused on him for a few plays of 2 games prior to the championship. I saw everything that people were touting him for on the biggest stage in college football. I was very impressed.

My main problem with him is that I really don't see ILB as a major need on this team. There are at least 5 other positions on the team that I feel could use more upgrading, but that high in the draft you have to take BPA, which McClain could easily be.

bpc
01-09-2010, 07:06 PM
1. McCoy
2. Bulaga
3. McClain
4. Bryant
5. Clausen

That would be my top five right now.

misturanderson
01-09-2010, 07:29 PM
1. McCoy
2. Bulaga
3. McClain
4. Bryant
5. Clausen

Does this list not include people that you feel have no chance of making it to our pick?

Hamrob
01-09-2010, 07:42 PM
How can you not have guys like Brian Price, Arthur Jones, Jared Odrick and Vince Oghobaase ranked as 3-4 DE's? Some others who may declare: Marvin Austin, Carlos Dunlap, Cameron Heyward and Adrian Clayborn. There will be quality players who can play 3-4 DE well into the second round.talk to me after he runs his 4.8 40 at the combine. The guy is a straight line guy only...he does not play the angles well and he is slow side line to side line.

NO THANKS!

meangene
01-09-2010, 08:03 PM
talk to me after he runs his 4.8 40 at the combine. The guy is a straight line guy only...he does not play the angles well and he is slow side line to side line.

NO THANKS!

Talk to me when he runs 4.6!

bpc
01-09-2010, 08:04 PM
Does this list not include people that you feel have no chance of making it to our pick?

It's a rough estimate of where mock drafts have had people drafted. Ya never know. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. ;D

meangene
01-09-2010, 08:10 PM
talk to me after he runs his 4.8 40 at the combine. The guy is a straight line guy only...he does not play the angles well and he is slow side line to side line.

NO THANKS!

What makes Rolando McClain the best linebacker in America?

by Ed Reinke - AP

His teammate Javier Arenas said he's like having a big and athletic version of Nick Saban on the football field.

Some consider him the next Brian Urlacher, at least when Urlacher was healthy. Saban, who doesn't just throw praise around, said he's the football version of Albert Pujols.

What Alabama's Rolando McClain is for certain the optimum linebacker prospect. He's got NFL size at 6-foot-4 and 258 pound. When he hits, he hits hard.

But McClain isn't just a shoulder-leading highlight-catching defender. He clearly knows how to wrap up and drives through the ball carrier.

This season, McClain's stat line is impressive. In eight games, e has 57 tackles, eight tackles for a loss, two sacks, two interceptions, seven quarterback hurries, three passes defended and a forced fumble.

McClain will also do well in offseason testing. He recently told a reporter his body fat was only 9 percent. When asked about his 40 time, McClain said he ran a 4.59 and 4.63 over the summer.

But McClain isn't one of those players who doesn't play up to his speed. He's always going hard and fast toward the ball. He takes correct angles to the ball carrier and doesn't get caught up on blocks.

While McClain is rumored to have some anger issues, is that such a bad thing for a middle linebacker?

Most impressively, McClain is smart. As a sophomore, McClain became the leader of the vaunted Alabama defense. He's like another coach on the field, barking order at his teammates making sure they're in the proper position.

"He lines up the guys next to him," LSU coach Les Miles told reporters this week. "He understands backfield sets and what to expect. You can tell he's a very bright player. (He) understand the intricacies of the game."

Those intricacies are just what might make McClain a top five pick in the draft.

gtown
01-09-2010, 08:14 PM

NO THANKS!

You can improve 40 times. You can't teach instinct (see DJ Williams). McClain is gonna be a good player. He takes good angles and is around the action at all times. He has been impressive on the biggest stage. Plus we need a difference maker in the middle like Al Wilson a few years ago.

If we could get McClain, a 5-tech in the second, and the best interior OL on the board in the 3rd, I would consider the draft a success.

meangene
01-09-2010, 08:19 PM
1. McCoy
2. Bulaga
3. McClain
4. Bryant
5. Clausen

Mine would be:
1. McClain
2. Brian Price
3. Bulaga
4. Spiller
5. Bryant

Of guys I legitmately think could be there.

Hamrob
01-09-2010, 08:27 PM
You can improve 40 times. You can't teach instinct (see DJ Williams). McClain is gonna be a good player. He takes good angles and is around the action at all times. He has been impressive on the biggest stage. Plus we need a difference maker in the middle like Al Wilson a few years ago.

If we could get McClain, a 5-tech in the second, and the best interior OL on the board in the 3rd, I would consider the draft a success.Yeah, Moreno was impressive on the big stage as well. If you looked closely enough you could tell that his speed and playing ability didn't project well to the Pros. Same thing with McClain in my book. Great college player. Smart guy...but too big and slow to be a major contributer at the next level.

Hamrob
01-09-2010, 08:28 PM
What makes Rolando McClain the best linebacker in America?

by Ed Reinke - AP

His teammate Javier Arenas said he's like having a big and athletic version of Nick Saban on the football field.

Some consider him the next Brian Urlacher, at least when Urlacher was healthy. Saban, who doesn't just throw praise around, said he's the football version of Albert Pujols.

What Alabama's Rolando McClain is for certain the optimum linebacker prospect. He's got NFL size at 6-foot-4 and 258 pound. When he hits, he hits hard.

But McClain isn't just a shoulder-leading highlight-catching defender. He clearly knows how to wrap up and drives through the ball carrier.

This season, McClain's stat line is impressive. In eight games, e has 57 tackles, eight tackles for a loss, two sacks, two interceptions, seven quarterback hurries, three passes defended and a forced fumble.

McClain will also do well in offseason testing. He recently told a reporter his body fat was only 9 percent. When asked about his 40 time, McClain said he ran a 4.59 and 4.63 over the summer.

But McClain isn't one of those players who doesn't play up to his speed. He's always going hard and fast toward the ball. He takes correct angles to the ball carrier and doesn't get caught up on blocks.

While McClain is rumored to have some anger issues, is that such a bad thing for a middle linebacker?

Most impressively, McClain is smart. As a sophomore, McClain became the leader of the vaunted Alabama defense. He's like another coach on the field, barking order at his teammates making sure they're in the proper position.

"He lines up the guys next to him," LSU coach Les Miles told reporters this week. "He understands backfield sets and what to expect. You can tell he's a very bright player. (He) understand the intricacies of the game."

Those intricacies are just what might make McClain a top five pick in the draft.Do you really think he'll run a 4.6 at the combine? I don't. And i've watched him play...he does not take good angles and he over runs plays time and again.

Look, if we were drafting in the 20's great...but I wouldn't waste a #10 on him.

meangene
01-09-2010, 08:52 PM
Do you really think he'll run a 4.6 at the combine? I don't. And i've watched him play...he does not take good angles and he over runs plays time and again.

Look, if we were drafting in the 20's great...but I wouldn't waste a #10 on him.

So you would draft a LB who is slow, does not take good angles and over runs plays time and again in the first round but just not early in the first round? That makes sense. :thumbs:

TheDave
01-09-2010, 08:59 PM
Mine would be:
1. McClain
2. Brian Price
3. Bulaga
4. Spiller
5. Bryant

I inderstand everyone of those picks except Bulaga? OT is one of the few places we are solid at.

Maybe replace him with Taylor Mays

DBroncos4life
01-09-2010, 10:25 PM
Sergio Kindle is intriguing. I don't think he looks like a first rounder anymore but that is just me. He drafted Ayers last year but Kindle looks more like a pass rusher off the edge then Ayers. He has a Kamerion Wimbley or LaMarr Woodley type feel about him. I should say I don't think he is the total package like those two. I think he has similar pass rushing skills to those two.

Rulon Velvet Jones
01-09-2010, 10:43 PM
You guys need to study up on McClain a little more. The kid is damn good.

TheChamp24
01-09-2010, 11:46 PM
Mine would be:
1. McClain
2. Brian Price
3. Bulaga
4. Spiller
5. Bryant

Bulaga? WTF do we need to spend another 1st round pick on a fricken tackle for?
Spiller? After we spent a 1st round pick on a RB last year?
And Brian Price, no at that early.

And seriously guys, we have some nitpicky haters on McClain here.

KipCorrington25
01-10-2010, 12:00 AM
We only need one.

No, we need 3 probably because McDouchbag will run off at least two with stupid high school coaching stupidity.

ZONA
01-10-2010, 01:28 AM
I think it would be best if the Broncos could trade down from 11 to like 15 and pick up a high 2nd if they can. I think taking McClain at 11 is just a little too high for a LB who runs a 4.65. Sure he's big and talented but you want speed too. Now if NT Dan Williams is there at 15, which I think he would be, that's who I would get first. He would fill the biggest need on the team. Who knows, maybe McClain might slide to late first round or early 2nd. Maybe the team can trade a 3rd along with the 2nd they picked up to move back up into the later 1st round to get McClain at like pick #25 or something. I just think moving down is better.

bpc
01-10-2010, 01:37 AM
Drafting a tackle is a two fold issue for me here. YES, there is a need for talent on the line of the Broncos. LG proved that this year. It was a hole for us all season and it needs a quality starter there.

Watch Bulaga's film from last year and later on this season and you see a guy that could be great. He plays tackle but I think he could easily line up at LG to start and play four positions on the offensive line. He has size, speed, tenacity, grit, and plays to the whistle.

Denver is in a situation where we NEED quality backups who can play tackle because Ryan Harris has proven to be injury prone throughout his career. He's played one healthy season out of the last four. Not a good sign.

Bulaga to me has had some good film, and some bad film. This year he came off an undisclosed illness and started slow after missing part of the season. Film against Michigan, wasn't very good in my opinion. He looked rusty, and Brandon Graham tends to make people looks bad. I don't think Bryan was ready for the matchup. Watch him at any point last year when Shonn Greene was running the rock, or later on this year and the guy is just mauling people. He has a great kickslide for a big man, with long arms to keep defenders at bay. Fundamentally he's VERY sound and in the run game, he fires off with a nice low center of gravity and drives up through his man. I would say he usually gets a foot to 2 feet of movement on most run blocks. He's also great getting up to the 2nd level. He can pull and move with the best of em'.

TheChamp24
01-10-2010, 02:32 AM
For people questioning taking McClain at 10/11 saying thats too high, well a lot of mocks I see have McClain going in the top 10, particularly to the Chiefs.

meangene
01-10-2010, 04:55 AM
Bulaga? WTF do we need to spend another 1st round pick on a fricken tackle for?
Spiller? After we spent a 1st round pick on a RB last year?
And Brian Price, no at that early.

And seriously guys, we have some nitpicky haters on McClain here.

See bpc's post on Bulaga. He has the versatility to play inside. Harris is coming off an injury and had some injury issues as a rookie also so depth at tackle is a serious issue for us. Or, do you want Polumbus back out there?

Spiller is, I admit, an unlikely pick by McD. But, that doesn't mean he doesn't make sense. The best running teams in the NFL have two quality backs and Moreno clearly is better with limited carries (though the OL has a lot to do with that). Buckhalter had a real nice season but, as is his history, he was nicked for several games. He set career highs for carries and yardage but you have to wonder how long he will last. Finally, Spiller gives us a dynamic returner who could make a huge difference in field position. And, it allows Royal to focus solely on WR where we need him to step up big.

Price will be shooting up the charts once teams see him in the post-season workouts. He was underrated because he had indicated preseason he was coming back to UCLA.

Rulon Velvet Jones
01-10-2010, 07:15 AM
For people questioning taking McClain at 10/11 saying thats too high, well a lot of mocks I see have McClain going in the top 10, particularly to the Chiefs.

His stock is going to rise at the combine. I'd hate to see him with KC.

Hamrob
01-10-2010, 10:57 AM
Talk to me when he runs 4.6!We'll see. I think he's got to be in our top 3 for picking at #10. I like the fact that he comands a defense, calls the plays and is a leader. I just don't see the atheletic ability that you'd like to have...like a Willis.

Lev Vyvanse
01-10-2010, 11:01 AM
McDouchbag will run off at least two with stupid high school coaching stupidity.

Did he steal your lunch money or something?

Hamrob
01-10-2010, 11:04 AM
You guys need to study up on McClain a little more. The kid is damn good.I don't disagree...but you have to project his game to the Pros. He has just about everything you want and more in some categories such as leaderhsip and football IQ.

The one thing that causes pause....is his speed and mobility. He's a huge ILB and he realistically runs a 4.7/4.8. Yeah sure...a 4.6 on his best day, in track spikes etc. He's not eactly fluid either. Hey, I like the kid...just not at #10. To me...he's in the same boat as was Maulaluga. Now, I liked Rey-Rey and I was hoping we'd trade up in the 2nd to get him...I was excited as hell because I thought we had done it...until I heard Smith and thought...what the hell! But, I wouldn't have taken Rey at #12.

Same goes for McClain...I'd take him in the 20's...but not at #10.

bpc
01-10-2010, 11:16 AM
I haven't had a chance to watch a lot of McClain's film this year but I got the championship game on DVR and when I get a chance, i'll watch it and give a little more info on what McCLain is like.

Personally, i wasn't that impressed with him earlier this year and then I thought he showed a lot of toughness coming through during the championship game, after being down with the flu all week. Size and speed... those are two things you can't coach on the field and McCLain has both of those. I would argue he is a very fluid athlete. My questions remain with his motor and intensity.

HEAV
01-10-2010, 11:19 AM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/miJwMCgaxKo&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/miJwMCgaxKo&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Good & bad plays

All I'm saying is he's not a surte fire blue chip, he's not Patrick Willis. He's a big kid that looks like he lumbers on the field (not fluid) and struggles with blockers.

In the NFL the speed will own him.

bpc
01-10-2010, 11:48 AM
Things that pop out to me on this film:

1. He never seems to run full speed, and his top end speed isn't that great. He looks 4.7 or 4.8 on this film. This is why I have questioned his motor. He's one of those good players that just floats. Never seems like he's sprinting.

2. He isn't really a downhill player, but he could be. When he hits people, he has more power than I thought he did. There is definite hip explosion in him but he seems fundamentally lazy. He's not a knee bender and thats going to hurt him on the next level because linemen are going to be cutting his ass onto the ground. He seems more willing to wrap and roll than hit, rise and drive through the ball-carrier.

3. He is disciplined and plays good assignment football. Sometimes when it seems like he's lumbering, he really just holding his assignment and staying in his gap. While it doesn't always look the most impressive, I appreciate a guy who understands his role within a defense and completes his job. That's a great thing. He doesn't really overpursue.

4. Smart pass defender. He understands angles and does a good job taking away his zone or man. Probably the most underrated part of his game IMO.

5. His shock and shed technique in the run game is average at best. Not a good sign when he'll have to be better at it on the next level. Because he plays high, he tends to get tied up looking at ball carries. He needs to deliver a blow to the blocker, get his hands extended on the chest plate and re-direct to the ballcarrier.

I wish he was more physical. He reminds me of a DJ Williams with less tenacity, but better overall instincts for the run and pass plays.

He is a first round player, but he isn't a slam-dunk player at #10 IMO.

Rulon Velvet Jones
01-10-2010, 12:02 PM
<object width="445" height="364"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-jpZsYNHjxU&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-jpZsYNHjxU&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="445" height="364"></embed></object>

HEAV
01-10-2010, 12:21 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/uhG6bwopKTc&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/uhG6bwopKTc&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

awareness?

Also lacks hustle after the play passes him... he rather watch others make a tackle than himself making the tackle.

oubronco
01-10-2010, 01:32 PM
Trade Bmarsh for a high first and get McCoy. Then Get McClain with our first. And pray mount Cody falls to our second rounder.

Defense=Fixed.

I would jizz my draws

bpc
01-10-2010, 01:33 PM
I just can't believe how much he jogs in those videos. RUN DAMMIT!

ha ha. I think this clearly dispells several notions about his game and makes it very apparent what he is.

Thanks for posting the page heav.

I watched Spikes video and he seems to have regressed this year.

We might be waiting a little while to get help at MLB this year.

Tombstone RJ
01-10-2010, 01:34 PM
No way Cody gets out of the top 10. I seriously doubt McClain will get out of the top 10.

Rabb
01-10-2010, 01:36 PM
No way Cody gets out of the top 10. I seriously doubt McClain will get out of the top 10.

if they handle the Marshall and Scheffler trades well enough (more Marshall) we could be in great shape for the draft to really make some improvements

I agree though, it will be a stretch to snag those 2 but who knows

with our luck we take a RB with #10/11

*ducks*

KCStud
01-10-2010, 05:36 PM
Eric Norwood is going to be a beast. He is the Gamecocks all-time sack leader, but yet he also has very good instincts and makes plays in the passing game. He is above average in coverage and whoever gets him gets a first round talent IMO.

I wish they had a highlight reel on this kid on youtube

anton
01-10-2010, 06:53 PM
I should have a video on Norwood up tomorow morning. Check out this page for 2010 prospect highlight videos. http://www.prodraftparty.com/prospect-highlights/

bpc
01-10-2010, 09:03 PM
I should have a video on Norwood up tomorow morning. Check out this page for 2010 prospect highlight videos. http://www.prodraftparty.com/prospect-highlights/

I've been a fan of your work since last year but then I saw you took the content and formed a paysite... just a general question, how are you charging people for cutups of copywrited telecasts?

I didn't really care for that.

Once again, no disrespect as I appreciate the work you put it to helping so many of us draft fans out.

ZONA
01-10-2010, 09:20 PM

If only I had a dollar for every time I heard that same thing about Rey Rey last year.

misturanderson
01-10-2010, 09:28 PM
If only I had a dollar for every time I heard that same thing about Rey Rey last year.

I don't think anyone was saying this about him. Maybe that he wouldn't get out of the first round, but he was pertty universally seen as a 2-down linebacker (and therefore not a high 1st round pick), something McClain is not.

Bigdawg26
01-10-2010, 09:38 PM
If only I had a dollar for every time I heard that same thing about Rey Rey last year
Can't argue with ya there lol! To be honest its really to early to tell who goes where but it is fun trying to find out. But I would love to get Mount Cody in the first (who is an big run stuffer who desperately need) and get another pass rusher on the opposite side of Elvis in the second!

TheDave
01-10-2010, 10:28 PM

By april there will be 20 guys "Who won't fall out of the top 10"

and come draft day there will be at least 2 names that no one ever mentioned that will be off the board by #11.

anton
01-11-2010, 12:04 AM
I've been a fan of your work since last year but then I saw you took the content and formed a paysite... just a general question, how are you charging people for cutups of copywrited telecasts?

I didn't really care for that.

Once again, no disrespect as I appreciate the work you put it to helping so many of us draft fans out.

the only thing is, i dont have a paysite. All the videos are on youtube for free, every page of prodraftparty.com is absolutely free. I have no idea why you think i formed a paysite.

bpc
01-11-2010, 12:15 AM
I thought it was from the subscribe link that's on the upper right hand corner of your website.

anton
01-11-2010, 12:20 AM
ah, no that is just like for notifying people when articles to the site are put up, definitely no paying for anything

anton
01-12-2010, 03:46 PM
Eric Norwood is going to be a beast. He is the Gamecocks all-time sack leader, but yet he also has very good instincts and makes plays in the passing game. He is above average in coverage and whoever gets him gets a first round talent IMO.

<object width="640" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZCimRrkfcFg&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZCimRrkfcFg&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="505"></embed></object>

misturanderson
01-12-2010, 04:59 PM

Cody's going to need some major help from his workouts to stay in the top half of the first round. If he shows up out of shape at all he could easily drop to the 2nd with questions about his work ethic already running rampant.

The guy is a physical specimen, but he is pretty universally seen as a 2-down player that will need to be part of a deep rotation and you don't take a 2-down player in the top 10.

Maybe some team will fall in love with him and reach big time, ala 2009 Hayward-Bey, but he probably shouldn't go in the top 10.

gtown
01-12-2010, 05:09 PM

Eric Norwood? Yes please!! Guy has a nose for the QB and has a great build. The more SEC All-Conference guys we get the better.