PDA

View Full Version : The real McCoy

watermock
01-09-2010, 04:16 AM
Mike Lopresti, Gannett
PASADENA, Calif. — Maybe he could have saved the day for Texas, maybe not. Add that to the list of things we'll never know, just like the identity of Jack the Ripper.
An hour after the national championship game Thursday night, the rest of Colt McCoy's life had already begun. What to do — look at the future and hope, or look at the past and cry?

The Texas quarterback did a little of both.

"I pray to God that I'll be put on a stage like that again someday in my career, and be able to play," he said.

But also this:

"I can't put it into words. Nobody could. I could try to explain. I've given everything I had to Texas. I've given everything I had to college football. I've worked my whole career to be put on this stage, and given this opportunity. Never in my wildest dreams would I have ever thought it'd be taken away like that."

You had to feel for him. Even the most ardent Alabama fan from the heart of Tuscaloosa had to feel for him. McCoy is a senior. This was it. Next stop, NFL draft.

So the Tide savors a championship today, and time moves on. The coaches are already out recruiting and the first preseason polls of 2010 are already in the books. Alabama, in case you missed it, is the team to beat

McCoy? Done and done.

He stood at his locker late Thursday night and the right shoulder did not hurt. It never hurt. When the hit came in the first quarter, something went to sleep and never woke up.

"I'll play through pain. This isn't a pain issue," he said. "My shoulder's dead. My shoulder's … dead. If I was playing free safety, I'd go out there and make a tackle. I have no strength to throw a football. It's like the feeling when you fall asleep on your arm for an hour and a half, and you wake up and your arm's dead."

He tried. Oh, how he tried. While his teammates labored the first half and you watched from the recliner, he was in the locker room with medical personnel and his father. First, he went to the ice. Then, tossing footballs across the huge Rose Bowl locker room to his dad.

How many passes had Brad and Colt McCoy lobbed back and forth through the years?

"Millions," the son said.

But none like this. Outside, thousands roared. Inside, father and son agonized.

"Even he said, 'You don't know where you're throwing'," Colt McCoy said, "I was trying to lie to the doctors, telling them I could go back in. But when they saw me throw …"

Afterward, as wave after wave of strangers arrived at his locker for explanations and anguish, McCoy went through his ordeal. Occasionally, his voice halted and his eyes glistened. Losing, he could have accepted. But not this.

"I'm handling my emotions now," he said. "I don't know how I am."

His final statistics for the championship game will always be two passes thrown, two passes completed. 'The way I prepared was exactly what they were doing," he said of the Alabama defense. "We had them on their heels."

Then came the tackle by the Alabama defender — "I really didn't hit him that hard. I wasn't trying to hurt him," Marcell Dareus would say later — and the night went dark.

Two senior Heisman candidate quarterbacks finished their college years this month, neither winning the championship they so badly wanted. But Florida's Tim Tebow had a grand finale in the Sugar Bowl. Besides, he will take two national title rings with him for the rest of his days.

McCoy's career came to a crash landing.

"I've worked my whole life for this game to turn out different," he said.

We'll never know. He'll never know.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/columnist/lopresti/2010-01-08-mccoy-anguish_N.htm?csp=hf

watermock
01-09-2010, 04:25 AM
It happened for a reason.

Hulamau
01-09-2010, 05:21 AM
Thats good news he doesn't have rotator cuff just a bad stinger and that is likely healed by now in any event.

Maybe just maybe he falls to a spot we can grab him with ... perhaps with the Marshall trade first round pick? Or better yet with the Scheffler 2nd rounder?

broncofan7
01-09-2010, 07:55 AM
If he is around in the 3rd round--pick him up!

watermock
01-09-2010, 08:09 AM
He'd go Church Lady on McD's swearing....

LonghornBronco
01-09-2010, 09:01 AM
I've had my doubts about Colt through the years, but one thing about that kid is he always exceeds expectations. As a freshman no one gave him a chance against Jevon Snead, in the end they could just not sit him down. I never remember the kid making a big mistake when it counted, but maid several when his team needed it the most. I would not be dissappointed if we picked him up in late first or second round. He is simply the antithesis of Jamarkus. I would say his best atributes are his reads, composure, work ethic, and accuracy.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
01-09-2010, 09:04 AM
I really like McCoy. Very humble, all about team, and just seems like a decent PERSON. Considering that combined with his talent, I'd love to see him in Denver.

Kid A
01-09-2010, 09:04 AM
He'd go Church Lady on McD's swearing....

He's been on a team where Will Muschamp is defensive coordinator. I'm pretty sure he's heard all those words before.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/JZSy2JH8iu4&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/JZSy2JH8iu4&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

nooner
01-09-2010, 09:21 AM
Colt would be great for us. He is a class act and a good QB

Rabb
01-09-2010, 09:35 AM
I want him just because that is a bad ass football name, is that wrong?

Pony Boy
01-09-2010, 09:40 AM
We already have a Colt McCoy and don't need another

rastaman
01-09-2010, 10:01 AM

Colt = Simms or Orton....enough said.;)

rastaman
01-09-2010, 10:03 AM
I want him just because that is a bad ass football name, is that wrong?

You are not a good QB in the NFL based on your name only!

rastaman
01-09-2010, 10:10 AM

Yeah right! I can see it now, If Colt plays a great game or plays a bad etc., he'll give praise to god for reason he's playing well and say "God" willing and put his faith in god he will play better!

McCoy is flaky and too superstitious with his religion beliefs and how it intertwines with his performance on the field.:thumbs:

TheElusiveKyleOrton
01-09-2010, 10:11 AM
Colt = Simms or Orton....enough said.;)

No, sadly, that's not "enough said." Why is Colt McCoy = Simms or Orton? And furthermore, how can Simms and Orton even be on the same level after what we saw this season?

Stupid argument, stupid poster. Go figure.

Northman
01-09-2010, 10:12 AM
Simms 2.0

TheElusiveKyleOrton
01-09-2010, 10:35 AM
Yeah right! I can see it now, If Colt plays a great game or plays a bad etc., he'll give praise to god for reason he's playing well and say "God" willing and put his faith in god he will play better!

McCoy is flaky and too superstitious with his religion beliefs and how it intertwines with his performance on the field.:thumbs:

Yeah, it's worked out so poorly for him thus far. And for Kurt Warner. And Tim Tebow.

Just because you don't believe in god doesn't mean you should crush on someone else's beliefs.

barryr
01-09-2010, 10:42 AM
Thats good news he doesn't have rotator cuff just a bad stinger and that is likely healed by now in any event.

Maybe just maybe he falls to a spot we can grab him with ... perhaps with the Marshall trade first round pick? Or better yet with the Scheffler 2nd rounder?

A 2nd round pick for Scheffler? Just what idiotic team would offer a 2nd round pick for Scheffler? Would be lucky to get as high as a 4th.

TheDave
01-09-2010, 11:07 AM
A 2nd round pick for Scheffler? Just what idiotic team would offer a 2nd round pick for Scheffler? Would be lucky to get as high as a 4th.

None but then a gain I think people are high for dreaming about a #1 and a #3 for BMarsh.

LonghornBronco
01-09-2010, 12:42 PM
Saying Colt = Simms shows just how little Pony and Rasta know about Colt or football for that matter.

Pony Boy
01-09-2010, 02:28 PM
Saying Colt = Simms shows just how little Pony and Rasta know about Colt or football for that matter.

You're right Colt would need a couple of years under his belt to be = to Simms... but one good thing, Colt still has a spleen....:approve:

Crashman44b
01-09-2010, 02:41 PM
We already have a Colt McCoy and don't need another

Pretty clear to me that you have no idea what your talking about. I HATE TEXAS but have watched them play alot over the years. Simms isnt a pimple on McCoy's butt at the college level.

Pony Boy
01-09-2010, 03:03 PM
Pretty clear to me that you have no idea what your talking about. I HATE TEXAS but have watched them play alot over the years. Simms isnt a pimple on McCoy's butt at the college level.

Wake up !!!! We are not talking about them at the college level, it's about McCoy as an NFL QB and in my opinion, I think he will bust in the NFL just like Simms did. I hope the kid proves me wrong, I just don't think he on the same level with Bradford ......

Archer81
01-09-2010, 03:09 PM

You are too stupid for words.

:Broncos:

watermock
01-09-2010, 03:19 PM
Greene reminds me of Hillis.

TexanBob
01-09-2010, 06:10 PM
I think McCoy will be a good quarterback in a system that plays to his strength. If he can throw mainly short accurate passes, he'll be fine. If they expect him to play in a Raiders or Bears system, he'll struggle. A lot of projecting a QB to the next level depends on matching system with player.

That's where I think McCoy has a much better chance than Tebow. I don't know what NFL system suits Tebow other than perhaps being the understudy for Vince Young.