PDA

View Full Version : Another reason to hate Walmart!

Sassy
01-08-2010, 12:22 PM
H&M and Wal-Mart destroy and trash unsold goods

by Joanna Douglas, Shine Staff, on Thu Jan 7, 2010 8:31am PST

Cynthia Magnus holds up unworn, destroyed clothing she found in the garbage. Photo by Suzanne DeChillo/New York Times
This week the New York Times reported a disheartening story about two of the largest retail chains. You see, instead of taking unsold items to sample sales or donating them to people in need, H&M and Wal-Mart have been throwing them out in giant trash bags. And in the case that someone may stumble on these bags and try to keep or re-sell the items, these companies have gone ahead and slashed up garments, cut off the sleeves of coats, and sliced holes in shoes so they are unwearable.

This unsettling discovery was made by graduate student Cynthia Magnus outside the back entrance of H&M on 35th street in New York City. Just a few doors down, she also found hundreds of Wal-Mart tagged items with holes made in them that were dumped by a contractor. On December 7, she spotted 20 bags of clothing outside of H&M including, "gloves with the fingers cut off, warm socks, cute patent leather Mary Jane school shoes, maybe for fourth graders, with the instep cut up with a scissor, men’s jackets, slashed across the body and the arms. The puffy fiber fill was coming out in big white cotton balls.”

The New York Times points out that one-third of the city's population is poor, which makes this behavior not only wasteful and sad, but downright irresponsible. Wal-Mart spokeswoman, Melissa Hill, acted surprised that these items were found, claiming they typically donate all unworn merchandise to charity. When reporters went around the corner from H&M to a collections drop-off for charity organization New York Cares, spokesperson Colleen Farrell said, “We’d be glad to take unworn coats, and companies often send them to us."

After several days of no response from H&M, the company made a statement today, promising to stop destroying the garments at the midtown Manhattan location. They said they will donate the items to charity. H&M spokeswoman Nicole Christie said, "It will not happen again," and that the company would make sure none of the other locations would do so either. Hopefully that's the final word. [NY Times][Huff Post]

Requiem
01-08-2010, 12:27 PM
Can't bitch about Wal-Mart and shop there.

cutthemdown
01-08-2010, 12:30 PM
well the problem is they turn up being sold on the black market competing with the store. You can't blame them for not wanting that.

Trying to sell them at a cheaper store also not smart for someone already a discount retailer. Nordstroms etc just creates its on discount store.

There are some things worth getting at Walmart. Especially when it saves you money.

snowspot66
01-08-2010, 12:35 PM
well the problem is they turn up being sold on the black market competing with the store. You can't blame them for not wanting that.

Trying to sell them at a cheaper store also not smart for someone already a discount retailer. Nordstroms etc just creates its on discount store.

There are some things worth getting at Walmart. Especially when it saves you money.

Give them to charity. Good PR instead of bad and no competition.

WolfpackGuy
01-08-2010, 12:41 PM
That stuff will probably end up down on Canal Street labeled as "designer".

UberBroncoMan
01-08-2010, 01:09 PM
give them to charity. Good pr instead of bad and no competition.

Bingo

TailgateNut
01-08-2010, 01:12 PM
We need another reason to hate Wal-Mart???

Los Broncos
01-08-2010, 01:15 PM
This isn't the half, my girlfriend works with them and let me tell ya...

Rabb
01-08-2010, 01:15 PM
boy when they say they slash prices, they aint' kidding

OBF1
01-08-2010, 01:16 PM
Instead of spending time going thru the trash, why not spend that time actully LOOKING FOR A FREEKIN JOB ???

broncocalijohn
01-08-2010, 01:19 PM
I see why they did it, but the solution is to either sell them to charities at $1 a garmant or ship them to a 3rd world nation where they wont turn up in America. I love Wal Mart and dont think this doesnt happen in other stores. I bought a wall mounted Thomas Brothers Map for my office for $20. They retail for over $100 (back in the early 90s). It had slash marks in the coating. It bubbled so they couldnt sell it so they slashed it and threw it away. Dude was probably an old employee who saw a way of selling them on the black market.

DenverBrit
01-08-2010, 02:00 PM
But Wal-Mart provides endless entertainment and insight. Ha!

http://www.peopleofwalmart.com/

rastaman
01-08-2010, 02:16 PM
I see why they did it, but the solution is to either sell them to charities at $1 a garmant or ship them to a 3rd world nation where they wont turn up in America. I love Wal Mart and dont think this doesnt happen in other stores. I bought a wall mounted Thomas Brothers Map for my office for $20. They retail for over $100 (back in the early 90s). It had slash marks in the coating. It bubbled so they couldnt sell it so they slashed it and threw it away. Dude was probably an old employee who saw a way of selling them on the black market.

I'd love the Wall Mart PIMPS even more if they would allow their empolyees to join unions if they wanted too.

"EMPLOYEE FREE CHOICE ACT" All The Way Baby!!!;)

listopencil
01-08-2010, 02:24 PM
"...she also found hundreds of Wal-Mart tagged items with holes made in them that were dumped by a contractor."

"Wal-Mart spokeswoman, Melissa Hill, acted surprised that these items were found, claiming they typically donate all unworn merchandise to charity."

Whoever wrote this article seems to have done a nice job of trying to smear Wal-Mart. No biggie, I guess. It's very fashionable these days to do that.

cutthemdown
01-08-2010, 02:31 PM

Yeah as long as its not a resale charity. I agree giving them straight to needy or stored into emergency stores for natural disasters seems to make since.

I can understand a CEO being worried though that if people can go to the thrift store and get brand new wal mart jackets, maybe that would cut into walmart sales which he can't allow.

I agree totally though, better uses then just trashing them.

Even giving the to govt, to give to needy, for a tax break seems to make since.

You know give the company a little more incentive then just do whats right.

jhns
01-08-2010, 02:33 PM
"...she also found hundreds of Wal-Mart tagged items with holes made in them that were dumped by a contractor."

"Wal-Mart spokeswoman, Melissa Hill, acted surprised that these items were found, claiming they typically donate all unworn merchandise to charity."

Whoever wrote this article seems to have done a nice job of trying to smear Wal-Mart. No biggie, I guess. It's very fashionable these days to do that.

Yeah, I noticed that as well. We should hate walmart for doing what she says they should be doing? I don't get it...

I worked for them in high school and they aren't bad to work for. They are cheaper than others so I will always shop there. The only thing that made working there suck is I was in customer service for the last year and a half. You do not want to work wal mart customer service.

Paladin
01-08-2010, 02:40 PM
All that stuff probably was made in China and would have fallen apart after three wearings anyway.......

Garcia Bronco
01-08-2010, 02:44 PM
All that stuff probably was made in China and would have fallen apart after three wearings anyway.......

This

I was going to say the didn't cu tthe sleeves off....they fell off.

bombay
01-08-2010, 02:55 PM

Exactly. That sort of behavior is beneath contempt.

missingnumber7
01-08-2010, 03:08 PM
Instead of spending time going thru the trash, why not spend that time actully LOOKING FOR A FREEKIN JOB ???

Graduate students living off government grants.

watermock
01-08-2010, 03:17 PM
That's unacceptable, they can cut the tags and get a tax credit I think.

There are alot of needy people that have lost belongings while losing homes.

It's not that complicated to donate, hey just get chinese good so cheap they don't want to lose sales, even if they trash them.

broncocalijohn
01-08-2010, 09:45 PM
I'd love the Wall Mart PIMPS even more if they would allow their empolyees to join unions if they wanted too.

"EMPLOYEE FREE CHOICE ACT" All The Way Baby!!!;)

sure, as long as Wal Mart can fire them once they join. Employer choice too! If you dont like it, work somewhere else. My Mother in law was working there part time for a few months. Walmart gets a ton of applications to hire. You do get what you paid for but I havent noticed the service that extremely less than other stores. Why is it so hard to figure out that WalMart doesnt want Unions. Let me know next time an employee of WalMart was forced to work there.

broncocalijohn
01-08-2010, 09:50 PM
btw, H and M store (I believe it is called) was also in the article. Dont think WalMart is the only one. WM gives a ton to charitable events and causes.

L.A. BRONCOS FAN
01-08-2010, 09:57 PM
Another reason to hate Walmart!

Like there aren't enough already.

L.A. BRONCOS FAN
01-08-2010, 10:01 PM
WM gives a ton to charitable events and causes.

ROFL!

Too bad their own employees aren't one of those causes.

(We won't even go into the sweat shop labor, poorly-manufactured junk, and human rights abuses upon which WalMart's "always low prices" and enormous profits rely.)

And on that note, I send you here:

http://www.stillmadeinusa.com/bednbath.html

L.A. BRONCOS FAN
01-08-2010, 10:13 PM
Why is it so hard to figure out that WalMart doesnt want Unions.

Why is it so hard for right-wing shills like you to admit WHY WalMart doesn't want unions?

Bottom line: Even if WalMart paid its employees a living wage and provided full benefits, the company's annual net earnings would still surpass the GDP of several countries!

Face it - WalMart is the paradigm for greed taken to the extreme.

TallyBronco
01-08-2010, 11:07 PM
I made it through grad school buying my food and lots of other cheap, good quality stuff there. Best value for money anywhere.

Now, who helped me live a better life: Walmart, or the snobs and whiners who hate on it. Yep, no question.

L.A. BRONCOS FAN
01-08-2010, 11:48 PM
"Good quality" stuff from WalMart?

Holy crap - it looks like the GOP isn't the only parasitic entity out there that depends on the short memories (or, depending on your age, no memories) of Americans.

Funny how right-wingers like to claim they are pro-capitalism in one breath while defending an institution like WalMart (a company whose business model and practices fly in the face of the actual tenets and principles of capitalism) in the next.

In any event, I will continue to make it a point to always buy American whenever possible and to support local businesses - even if it means paying a little more.

Taco John
01-08-2010, 11:49 PM
My brother makes a living wage working at Walmart. He says it's a good company with plenty of opportunity for promotion for anybody willing to show some initiative. He says there aren't a lot of those types around though. It's mostly a revolving door.

The idea that Walmart cashiers could unionize is kind of laughable. Why would they want to hire an unskilled, unmotivated worker protected by a union that they can't fire when they can hire the next person off the street to agree to work at a non-union wage for the fact that they need the money and the economics works out for their situation?

I'm all for unions and any other free associations that people may form. But unions of unskilled labor sounds a lot like trying to build a space shuttle out of a gross of toothpicks. Good luck getting that off the launching pad.

L.A. BRONCOS FAN
01-08-2010, 11:58 PM
Why would they want to hire an unskilled, unmotivated worker protected by a union that they can't fire when they can hire the next person off the street to agree to work at a non-union wage for the fact that they need the money and the economics works out for their situation?

That's funny - Safeway employees belong to a union, and I certainly haven't found them to be either unskilled or unmotivated. In fact, I've found most of the employees at most of the Safeway stores where I've shopped to be significantly more motivated, skilled, friendly, etc., than their WalMart contemporaries.

BTW, your foregone conclusion, i.e., that union worker = unmotivated and/or unskilled, certainly suggests a bias against unions.

broncocalijohn
01-09-2010, 12:42 AM
I made it through grad school buying my food and lots of other cheap, good quality stuff there. Best value for money anywhere.

Now, who helped me live a better life: Walmart, or the snobs and whiners who hate on it. Yep, no question.

LABF was right there giving you the handouts. Nice how a corporation needs to be forced into setting a living wage. Here is an idea; How about those employees use WalMart as a stepping stone for a better job. Use the experience than in a year or two, go better themselves.

broncocalijohn
01-09-2010, 12:51 AM
That's funny - Safeway employees belong to a union, and I certainly haven't found them to be either unskilled or unmotivated. In fact, I've found most of the employees at most of the Safeway stores where I've shopped to be significantly more motivated, skilled, friendly, etc., than their WalMart contemporaries.

BTW, your foregone conclusion, i.e., that union worker = unmotivated and/or unskilled, certainly suggests a bias against unions.

You think sherlock? Keep shopping those stores with $18 cashiers taking a can of soup and scanning it over the glass. Wonder why they put self checking and bagging in some of these same stores? Maybe not too hard to figure out. Our Walmart is expanding to be Super Walmart and that place will be packed with middle class customers. Amazing how all the higher end areas get the Walmart while the ACORN crowds run around city hall meetings in poor, urban areas to scare the citizens out of allowing it and bringing jobs and crap load of sales tax dollars. Of course when they win, you never hear from those protesters again and places like Inglewood will still have the high unemployment. Yeah, shame on Walmart for bringing much needed jobs.

listopencil
01-09-2010, 01:08 AM

Yeah, they belong to a union and Safeway's prices are ridiculous. I live in a small town and there is a Safeway here. I eventually stopped going. I know two people who worked there and hated it because of the union.

By the way, how much do some of you think a cashier should make exactly? Do you realize that the cost of the food items on the shelves is directly related to the business' payroll?

Archer81
01-09-2010, 02:53 AM
You want to see what Unionization and Democrat policies do? Visit Detroit.

:Broncos:

JJJ
01-09-2010, 03:32 AM
Why would anyone hate Walmart?

Very low prices that many, many working class families depend on. As far as I know they are not breaking any laws of the land in how they run their operation. Everyone has a choice to shop there or not or to work there or not. What is the issue?

They certainly have a right to destroy or throw away their unsold property as well because they spent the money to create the product in the first place.

If they choose to give some or all of it away to charity or recycle it, good for them, as long as it is not at the detriment to their shareholders. Such goodwill actions may well increase the value of the company to the shareholders overall.

Consumers putting PC pressure on them to do so is fine as well. It helps keep companies acting responsibly and is certainly better than enacting laws forcing them to do so.

watermock
01-09-2010, 04:32 AM
Don't blame Wal-Mart for having a world beating business model.

As far as service goes, try getting some help at Lowes. ACE blows them away for finding the right thingy.

WallyWorld is a mixed blessing, but soup to nuts to an oil change, they got it covered.

TallyBronco
01-09-2010, 07:21 AM

In any event, I will continue to make it a point to always buy American whenever possible and to support local businesses - even if it means paying a little more.

WhoTF are you tell me whether Walmart provides good quality things for my own purposes? You're doing a good job nurturing that little tyrant inside, the sort who thinks that everyone who disagrees with him is a complete moron, even on entirely subjective matters such as the quality of toothpaste and tissues.

Enjoy the illusion that you're "buying American." Any product that isn't strictly a raw material is made from a blend of suppliers and manufacturers around the world.

Los Broncos
01-09-2010, 09:52 AM
But Wal-Mart provides endless entertainment and insight. Ha!

http://www.peopleofwalmart.com/

:rofl:

RhymesayersDU
01-09-2010, 10:40 AM

This. People who hate Wal-Mart are hilarious. And stupid.

Boo-****ing-hoo.

Victor
01-09-2010, 10:42 AM
This is the free market in action. I have no problem with this. Everyone is an expert when it comes to their neighbor's issues. This is the way that markets work...supply and demand, etc. When you give away your inventory for free it decreases any incentive to purchase. Newspaper subscriptions are a perfect example. People get free access on the internet, subscriptions are way down and newspapers are suffering.

Send it to a "third world country"? Who picks up the cost of the freight? Restaurants do the same thing when they dump food in the trash. Should they put checkered tablecloths out back and feed the hobos instead?

This righteous indignation over Walmart is silly.

TDmvp
01-09-2010, 10:46 AM
I'm pretty sure nobody has ever been forced to work at Wal-Mart ... If you don't like it work for Kroger ...

DBruleU
01-09-2010, 11:07 AM

Holy crap - it looks like the GOP isn't the only parasitic entity out there that depends on the short memories (or, depending on your age, no memories) of Americans.

Funny how right-wingers like to claim they are pro-capitalism in one breath while defending an institution like WalMart (a company whose business model and practices fly in the face of the actual tenets and principles of capitalism) in the next.

Your life must really suck. I have never witnessed someone who complains about every little thing that contradicts your small narrow world view. Has to be your upbringing.

Taco John
01-09-2010, 11:11 AM

I think you missed the point. I believe for a union to be truly successful, the labor has to be skilled. Otherwise, it's easy to replace them.

DHallblows
01-09-2010, 11:23 AM
Walmart is what it is. Can't hate on such an amazing business model. They have every right to throw away their ****ty clothing if they can't trick rednecks into buying it.

watermock
01-09-2010, 11:26 AM
I'm pretty sure nobody has ever been forced to work at Wal-Mart ... If you don't like it work for Kroger ...

Kroger rocks for food, they mark down tons of stuff 1/2 price all the time.

The phamacy is good once you assert youself and they know your on medicaid.

Freakin ribs get marked down to 5.00 and giant chickens to 3.00.

Hot Springs is a killer town.They got bible thumpers and casinos. Huge lakes.

Taco John
01-09-2010, 11:27 AM
It's pretty low rent for Walmart to do that, if in fact it's true that they do that. I'm not particularly convinced that it is. Seems to me that there are more profitable ways for them to dispose of the stuff than paying contractors to slice the merchandise up.

Dr. Broncenstein
01-09-2010, 11:31 AM
I hate Wal-Mart but love Sams Club. Same company, totally different experience. There isn't a single aspect about each store that isn't completely planned and accounted for... which means they purposely make Wal-Mart the white-trash center of the universe. It's obviously a successful business model, but it makes me feel stabby everytime I have to go there. Wish my little town had a Target instead.

watermock
01-09-2010, 11:33 AM
Yes, even if it is good business, it is bad business.

We are entering an era of scarcity of unknown length.

Just pay someone to cut the tags and labels.

Pretty lazy by wallyworld.

watermock
01-09-2010, 11:46 AM
I hate Wal-Mart but love Sams Club. Same company, totally different experience. There isn't a single aspect about each store that isn't completely planned and accounted for... which means they purposely make Wal-Mart the white-trash center of the universe. It's obviously a successful business model, but it makes me feel stabby everytime I have to go there. Wish my little town had a Target instead.

I don't like Box stores. Hate Sams. I don't want to shop in a warehouse.

Walmart is almost robotic, every store is the same., so you know where to go.

BTW, Sams are nowhere near as sucessfull as super wallyworlds.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Zcv4T9Auy0U&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Zcv4T9Auy0U&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Taco John
01-09-2010, 11:49 AM

Stabby? Like you want to stab someone!

watermock
01-09-2010, 11:59 AM
Oh, too snooty to shop at Wal-Mart, lets go upscale with Target.

Target is a good chain, better clothing, but about 10% higher price overall.

A little better quality overall tho.

Got an empty KMart right by the giant Dillards/Sears mall.

Guess how much that sears store does in it's auto dept?

My guess is 5%. I like Kroger . Just my town.

SportinOne
01-09-2010, 12:51 PM

Not everyone grows up with:

A. A decent chance
B. A home
C. Intelligence
D. Good health ... and so on and so on. For some people, every day is about survival, not about what they are saving money or vacation time for.

cutthemdown
01-09-2010, 01:06 PM
Meh I got a cheap digital camera at wal-mart, great deal. But my pre-paid cell phone at wal-mart got a great deal. My mom bought her 40 inch LCD 120hz 1080p television there and saved money.

Not to mention they have food you can buy, cheap prices on stuff like toilet paper, shaving cream etc. It's a great store its like Target on steriods.

SportinOne
01-09-2010, 01:20 PM
Wake up people. Life is about more than "the bottom line."

If you MUST shop at wal mart, fine, pretend that you can't afford to shop elsewhere when you are spending money on a computer, internet service, cell phones, ipods, tv's, dvd's, and other frivolous gizmos. But at the very least, please don't buy your food there. Shop at a co-op, keep it local and organic if you can, and your body will thank you 20 years from now.

TDmvp
01-09-2010, 01:22 PM
Organic Food.. Is Bull****!!

<font face="Verdana" size="1" color="#999999"><br/><a style="font: Verdana" href="http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=62997797">Organic Food.. Is Bull****!!</a><br/><object width="425px" height="360px" ><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"/><param name="wmode" value="transparent"/><param name="movie" value="http://mediaservices.myspace.com/services/media/embed.aspx/m=62997797,t=1,mt=video"/><embed src="http://mediaservices.myspace.com/services/media/embed.aspx/m=62997797,t=1,mt=video" width="425" height="360" allowFullScreen="true" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent"></embed></object><br/><a style="font: Verdana" href="http://www.myspace.com/ss18icbm">Brjan</a> | <a style="font: Verdana" href="http://vids.myspace.com">MySpace Video</a></font>

Archer81
01-09-2010, 01:43 PM
Organic Food.. Is Bull****!!

<font face="Verdana" size="1" color="#999999"><br/><a style="font: Verdana" href="http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=62997797">Organic Food.. Is Bull****!!</a><br/><object width="425px" height="360px" ><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"/><param name="wmode" value="transparent"/><param name="movie" value="http://mediaservices.myspace.com/services/media/embed.aspx/m=62997797,t=1,mt=video"/><embed src="http://mediaservices.myspace.com/services/media/embed.aspx/m=62997797,t=1,mt=video" width="425" height="360" allowFullScreen="true" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent"></embed></object><br/><a style="font: Verdana" href="http://www.myspace.com/ss18icbm">Brjan</a> | <a style="font: Verdana" href="http://vids.myspace.com">MySpace Video</a></font>

Penn & Teller had a great show on Organic food. They did taste tests with people to pick the difference between Organic and Normal farming. 90% of the time the people picked the normal food and said it tasted better...so apparently organic food is bull**** and people cant tell the difference anyway.

TDmvp
01-09-2010, 01:46 PM
Penn & Teller had a great show on Organic food. They did taste tests with people to pick the difference between Organic and Normal farming. 90% of the time the people picked the normal food and said it tasted better...so apparently organic food is bull****.

that's the video of the episode ... Pretty funny when the organic eaters picked the normal stuff and still some of them act like they are to good to eat it LOL ...

Meck77
01-09-2010, 01:47 PM
My "locally" owned Ace hardware had a small ceramic heater I was looking for. $32.00
Checked the Walmart. $22.00.

Can someone remind me who the greedy nasty company is again?

DenverBrit
01-09-2010, 01:49 PM
It's not about the taste, it's about the chemicals vs manure. ;D

Archer81
01-09-2010, 01:52 PM
that's the video of the episode ... Pretty funny when the organic eaters picked the normal stuff and still some of them act like they are to good to eat it LOL ...

I know! I phrased my sentence wierd. More surprising, if we switched to all organic farming, 3 billion people would starve to death.

TDmvp
01-09-2010, 01:52 PM
My "locally" owned Ace hardware had a small ceramic heater I was looking for. $32.00

no doubt ... I see that all the time , same item 10$ cheaper at walmart.

And people also always bish about all the stuff from China at Wal-mart but there is TONS of stuff in wally world made in the U.S. ... you just have to actually flip the item over and that stuff is printed right there on the bottom .
I bet half those who bish about the china thing never look or even go to a walmart.

DHallblows
01-09-2010, 02:30 PM

Completely agree with everything you said. They market Walmart for hicks where Target does not. So I'd shop there before I'd shop at Walmart. Simple as that. I don't watch NASCAR or chew tobacco, and thus don't shop at Walmart.
I don't try to act like I'm offended by their procedures or anything like others have mentioned in this thread. I just feel like my IQ drops whenever I go there ugh!~

watermock
01-09-2010, 02:41 PM

Wal-Mart bribes suppliers.

cutthemdown
01-09-2010, 03:08 PM
Completely agree with everything you said. They market Walmart for hicks where Target does not. So I'd shop there before I'd shop at Walmart. Simple as that. I don't watch NASCAR or chew tobacco, and thus don't shop at Walmart.
I don't try to act like I'm offended by their procedures or anything like others have mentioned in this thread. I just feel like my IQ drops whenever I go there ugh!~

That's not true at all. It says right on the Walmart mission statement that:

Our goal is to provide an affordable, all encompassing shopping experience for all. *

* denotes all people including ****ers, spics, wops, whiteys, hicks, mamma's boys, wetbacks, porch monkeys, jew boys, bible thumpers, towel heads, teabaggers, socialists, marxists, capitalists and all pagans.

Blueflame
01-09-2010, 03:34 PM
For grocery shopping, the local Grocery Outlet is very good.

broncofan7
01-09-2010, 04:05 PM
Target--it's worth the extra $$$

watermock
01-09-2010, 04:35 PM
Can you buy groceries and change your oil?

baja
01-09-2010, 04:42 PM
Can't b**** about Wal-Mart and shop there.

I refuse to shop at wal-Mart or eat at mcDonalds

DBruleU
01-09-2010, 04:59 PM
I refuse to shop at wal-Mart or eat at mcDonalds

You're so much cooler than those who do.

Highfive!!

broncocalijohn
01-09-2010, 05:03 PM
For grocery shopping, the local Grocery Outlet is very good.

Grocery outlet is the best! Sure you have to eat those 6 for $1 Yogurts in 2 days but who cares? Just got 4 bags of peanut butter chips for cookies or toppings for $1! Now I dont need 4 bags and the expiration date was November but do you really think it is going to spoil in a month or so? Cereal $1-$2. Ice Cream.....Holy ****! Cheapest for all including Ben and Jerry's pints for $1.49! Dont eat that cause it is a lot more fattening and I am currently eating those PB chips (Mock, they are tasty and safe). Real lemonade 1/2 gallon, $1.00. You ****ting me? Nope. Have one in Huntington Beach and even looked into getting a franchise. Look it up and if one near you on the west coast, go there. BEER IS SO FING CHEAP AND THEY GET WIERD IMPORTS and local breweries. BEEEEEEER!

Taco John
01-09-2010, 05:05 PM
I don't eat at McDonalds very often. Occassionally when the seniorita and I have worked a long day, we'll throw our hands up in the air and say: "let's just grab a burger and pretend this never happened." Maybe once a month or something. Anyway, the problem with that is when we're driving around and pass a McDonalds and Z says "Daddy I want a hanayburger." Then it's like, "hmmm... easy meal that he wants to eat. No battling over getting him to eat tonight! Score!"

Of course, we try not to put ourselves in those situations too much by planning our meals each week. We find that when we skip that week's planning, we end up eating like crap that week.

watermock
01-09-2010, 05:06 PM
Expired dates are great buys.

watermock
01-09-2010, 05:07 PM
Wendy's has chicken for 99 cents.

DenverBrit
01-09-2010, 05:09 PM

Especially pork. Ha!

watermock
01-09-2010, 05:17 PM
They can't sell expired food. It's sold on the day before.

It's funny how this generation relies on packaging.

If you don't want to eat pork, don't.

watermock
01-09-2010, 05:18 PM
I get a rack of precooked BBQ ribs for 5 bucks.

Stay away.

Blueflame
01-09-2010, 05:35 PM
Grocery outlet is the best! Sure you have to eat those 6 for $1 Yogurts in 2 days but who cares? Just got 4 bags of peanut butter chips for cookies or toppings for $1! Now I dont need 4 bags and the expiration date was November but do you really think it is going to spoil in a month or so? Cereal $1-$2. Ice Cream.....Holy ****! Cheapest for all including Ben and Jerry's pints for $1.49! Dont eat that cause it is a lot more fattening and I am currently eating those PB chips (Mock, they are tasty and safe). Real lemonade 1/2 gallon, $1.00. You ****ting me? Nope. Have one in Huntington Beach and even looked into getting a franchise. Look it up and if one near you on the west coast, go there. BEER IS SO FING CHEAP AND THEY GET WIERD IMPORTS and local breweries. BEEEEEEER!

For my family, eating 6 yogurts in 2 days is no problem at all... ;) Their prices for cleaning supplies (especially dish/laundry detergent) are really good too.

DenverBrit
01-09-2010, 06:07 PM
They can't sell expired food. It's sold on the day before.

It's funny how this generation relies on packaging.

If you don't want to eat pork, don't.

I like pork, but I like mine fresh, not on the 'verge'. ;)

Sassy
01-09-2010, 06:34 PM
no doubt ... I see that all the time , same item 10$ cheaper at walmart.

And people also always bish about all the stuff from China at Wal-mart but there is TONS of stuff in wally world made in the U.S. ... you just have to actually flip the item over and that stuff is printed right there on the bottom .
I bet half those who bish about the china thing never look or even go to a walmart.

But...they are products that are specifically MADE for Walmart...usually cheaper parts....

DarkHorse30
01-09-2010, 07:13 PM

walmart is what it is.....I don't see the point of bashing a place that lets me save a lot of money. Maybe the bashers have too much cash to even know why anyone shops at a discount store.

If Walmart is a "problem" (because they don't let the "mom and pop" stores compete) than the internet is worse, for the same reason.

baja
01-09-2010, 07:44 PM
You're so much cooler than those who do.

Highfive!!

It's not about being cool. We live in a consumer society run by a government that is bought and paid for by the very corporations that sell us shiit for a profit therefore the only vote we have that actually means anything is how we spend our dollars. They still depend on us to buy their shiit...

here read this for starters;

http://www.fastcompany.com/magazine/77/walmart.html

baja
01-09-2010, 07:47 PM

They have expiration dates for a reason, was that peanut butter expired?

broncocalijohn
01-09-2010, 08:43 PM
They have expiration dates for a reason, was that peanut butter expired?

Ok, that was totally uncalled for. I enjoy a mock bashing, but that **** was just tainted. I had expiration dated from a year on gummy worms. How those things are made, they can probably be eaten 3 years later without a problem. Things have expiration dates to protect their ass from lawsuits. Milk (and other dairy products), that isnt non fat, is pretty much on cue with the expiration date.

JJJ
01-10-2010, 12:19 AM
You guys should live in a world without Walmart for awhile like over here in Europe. Unbelieveably high food prices. Really ridiculous. Pound for pound I would say 3 to 4 times more expensive that the prices in the states.

Let me give you some examples.

Sliced ham. 37 Swiss Francs per kg. That is roughly $15 per lbs.

Chicken breast (nonSwiss). 22 CHF per kg. $9.50 per lbs. Don't ask me why it is cheaper than the sliced ham. If you want Swiss chickens it cost another 50% higher than that.

Imported US Ribeye Steak. 80 CHF per kg. $35 per lbs.

Now you know why there are so many vegatarians in Europe.

Los Broncos
01-10-2010, 12:57 AM
I was at Walmart tonight and I forgot how much I hate that place.

But I think I'll be buying buying my new TV from there.

Some of the people there were really strange, I was hit on by a fifty year old in a hoodie.

I took a shower after I got home, nothing like a good Comet scrub.

Dr. Broncenstein
01-10-2010, 02:00 AM
You guys should live in a world without Walmart for awhile like over here in Europe. Unbelieveably high food prices. Really ridiculous. Pound for pound I would say 3 to 4 times more expensive that the prices in the states.

Let me give you some examples.

Sliced ham. 37 Swiss Francs per kg. That is roughly $15 per lbs.

Chicken breast (nonSwiss). 22 CHF per kg. $9.50 per lbs. Don't ask me why it is cheaper than the sliced ham. If you want Swiss chickens it cost another 50% higher than that.

Imported US Ribeye Steak. 80 CHF per kg. $35 per lbs.

Now you know why there are so many vegatarians in Europe.

That would seriously suck. Reasors is the local grocery chain and has the best meat market around. I can get free-range Bison ribeye and porterhouses for less than your sliced ham. Even USDA prime beef is 12-13 bucks for the best cuts. My wife is a vegitarian, and gripes about my steak bill. I'll have to tell her about the european prices.

hambone13
01-10-2010, 02:02 AM
Why is it so hard for right-wing shills like you to admit WHY WalMart doesn't want unions?

Bottom line: Even if WalMart paid its employees a living wage and provided full benefits, the company's annual net earnings would still surpass the GDP of several countries!

Face it - WalMart is the paradigm for greed taken to the extreme.

And the top employer in the country....with all the jobs going over seas I guess it's their fault a free market made them what they are...geez. If you don't like it, find another nationality.

hambone13
01-10-2010, 02:07 AM

As far as service goes, try getting some help at Lowes. ACE blows them away for finding the right thingy.

WallyWorld is a mixed blessing, but soup to nuts to an oil change, they got it covered.

Yeah and spend 100% more on things like scotch tape. I agree there is a market for Ace because they have great customer service but I don't shop at Walmart for Customer service....

hambone13
01-10-2010, 02:51 AM
I was hit on by a fifty year old in a hoodie.

Hilarious!Hilarious!Hilarious!

How did yer weiner feel being thrown down the hallway? Nothing like Baby-Boomer love.......LOLLOL

hambone13
01-10-2010, 02:56 AM
That would seriously suck. Reasors is the local grocery chain and has the best meat market around. I can get free-range Bison ribeye and porterhouses for less than your sliced ham. Even USDA prime beef is 12-13 bucks for the best cuts. My wife is a vegitarian, and gripes about my steak bill. I'll have to tell her about the european prices.

Don't forget to mention the 60% + income tax....let that trickle sink in maco-economically......

TomServo
01-10-2010, 03:24 AM
"Lets all shop at andersons"
South Park already did it.

Blueflame
01-10-2010, 03:42 AM
I was at Walmart tonight and I forgot how much I hate that place.

But I think I'll be buying buying my new TV from there.

Some of the people there were really strange, I was hit on by a fifty year old in a hoodie.

I took a shower after I got home, nothing like a good Comet scrub.

Belicheat was in your local WalMart tonight?

TallyBronco
01-10-2010, 06:08 AM
It's not about being cool. We live in a consumer society run by a government that is bought and paid for by the very corporations that sell us shiit for a profit therefore the only vote we have that actually means anything is how we spend our dollars. They still depend on us to buy their shiit...

here read this for starters;

http://www.fastcompany.com/magazine/77/walmart.html

They sell us shiit for profit??!! OMG, if I had known that I would have grown my own food, mined my own coal, refined my own petroleum, harvested my own cotton, manufactured my child's diapers, and created my own medicines in my basement biochemistry lab. Lord almighty, I can't believe somebody worked hard to make more money than they originally put into their products and services!!! I REFUSE TO COMPLY.

Oh, I meant to ask when you'll be coming over to mow my lawn for free this summer. Just let me know.

BroncoBuff
01-10-2010, 07:19 AM
I hate Wal-Mart. I've only purchased one thing from them ever: a set of windshield wipers on the road between Austin and Dallas during a driving rainstorm in 1987. And I still feel guilty :(

Kaylore
01-10-2010, 07:48 AM
I love Wal-Mart. I will shop there forever.

TailgateNut
01-10-2010, 08:05 AM

WalMart!!!

The can buy in bulk wheras the little locally owned store which doesn't get the giant tax breaks and can't afford to buy boatloads of ceramic heaters isn't the one taking advantage.

I refuse to buy **** from WalMart. To bad my wife still shop there.

TailgateNut
01-10-2010, 08:06 AM
completely agree with everything you said. They market walmart for hicks where target does not. So i'd shop there before i'd shop at walmart. Simple as that. I don't watch nascar or chew tobacco, and thus don't shop at walmart.
I don't try to act like i'm offended by their procedures or anything like others have mentioned in this thread. i just feel like my iq drops whenever i go there ugh!~

lol

TailgateNut
01-10-2010, 08:07 AM
Wal-Mart bribes suppliers.

Pull your hoodie over your head. Your STUPID is showing!

Meck77
01-10-2010, 08:09 AM
WalMart!!!

The can buy in bulk wheras the little locally owned store which doesn't get the giant tax breaks and can't afford to buy boatloads of ceramic heaters isn't the one taking advantage.

Could you be specific about the giant tax breaks Walmart gets over Ace Hardware?

Buying in bulk hardly sounds unfair?

The problem as I see it is America isn't producing these products anymore. It's not necessarily where they are sold/purchased.

Cito Pelon
01-10-2010, 08:56 AM
LABF was right there giving you the handouts. Nice how a corporation needs to be forced into setting a living wage. Here is an idea; How about those employees use WalMart as a stepping stone for a better job. Use the experience than in a year or two, go better themselves.

One very important thing about unions that people always forget - they drive up the price for labor at non-union shops because the non-union shops have to compete for the labor.

Unions have been very, very good for the USA. It's a system of checks and balances. I've worked at both union and non-union, as management and as a craftworker. Unions are good for the economy in some ways, bad in others. In general, it's best to have a check on both management power AND union power. One balances out the other.

Just take a look at the auto industry in the USA. We have the UAW that holds power at Ford, GM, demands high wages and bennies, gets them. OTOH, we have non-union shops in the USA like Nissan and Toyota that are non-union but they have to match the UAW payscale and bennies to compete for the labor.

If the UAW wasn't there, no way the non-union shops have the level of payscale they have. Pay would drop like a rock.

Cito Pelon
01-10-2010, 09:05 AM
You want to see what Unionization and Democrat policies do? Visit Detroit.

Unions can certainly f things up, I've seen it, you've seen it. OTOH, they play a useful role in keeping management from just throwing the workers a handful of peanuts when they feel like it.

Unions have been a positive part of the USA economy and all the strong economies in the world, you redneck. :D

peacepipe
01-10-2010, 10:02 AM
My brother makes a living wage working at Walmart. He says it's a good company with plenty of opportunity for promotion for anybody willing to show some initiative. He says there aren't a lot of those types around though. It's mostly a revolving door.

The idea that Walmart cashiers could unionize is kind of laughable. Why would they want to hire an unskilled, unmotivated worker protected by a union that they can't fire when they can hire the next person off the street to agree to work at a non-union wage for the fact that they need the money and the economics works out for their situation?

I'm all for unions and any other free associations that people may form. But unions of unskilled labor sounds a lot like trying to build a space shuttle out of a gross of toothpicks. Good luck getting that off the launching pad. I never seen a union that doesn't make a point to train there members, I had to go thruogh 4 yrs of training to become a journyman.
Wal-mart is already hiring unmotivated,unskilled workers. UPS has a policy in there union where you are in a probation period for 3 months,if during that time you show your lazy you get the boot, if you are a good worker you get in. No unionized shop,store or whatever is going to allow a company to hire non-union employees. It's set up in the contract that non-union employees can't be hired to work in a position that is union. In construction, companies save alot of money, because their insurance premium is a ton lower from having union workers because of the training we have. Non-union companies carry a higher insurance premium because they will hire any unqualified worker to do the job. BTW, I don't find anything laughable about someone excersizing their constitutional right to unionize.

Los Broncos
01-10-2010, 11:43 AM
Hilarious!Hilarious!Hilarious!

How did yer weiner feel being thrown down the hallway? Nothing like Baby-Boomer love.......LOLLOL

It was strange that's for sure Ha!

sixtimeseight
01-10-2010, 11:53 AM
Belicheat was in your local WalMart tonight?

Hey, just making sure you gave everyone in this thread who made a mock peanut butter joke infraction points, just like you gave me.

BroncoBuff
01-10-2010, 04:24 PM
I love Wal-Mart. I will shop there forever.

That makes sense ... you're a Republican after all :wave:

Lev Vyvanse
01-10-2010, 04:27 PM
Hey, just making sure you gave everyone in this thread who made a mock peanut butter joke infraction points, just like you gave me.

Infraction points?

sixtimeseight
01-10-2010, 04:39 PM
<!-- / icon and title --> <!-- message --> Dear sixtimeseight,

You have received an infraction at The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community.

Reason: The peanut butter smack re: Mock isn't funny
-------
The peanut butter "smack" re: Mock is not funny.
-------

This infraction is worth 1 point(s) and may result in restricted access until it expires. Serious infractions will never expire.

Original Post:
http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?p=2675043 (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?p=2675043#post2675043)

Something tells me broncocalijohn and baja didn't receive this PM for their PB/mock related posts in this thread.

SureShot
01-10-2010, 04:40 PM
I hate the Walmart close to me because it isnt a Costco.

Blueflame
01-10-2010, 04:43 PM
Infraction points?

Infraction points are a means for a moderator to express disapproval of a post that might be unseemly but isn't outrageous enough to demand the wielding of the ban hammer or other more-serious sanctions.

Bronx33
01-10-2010, 04:47 PM
Infraction points are a means for a moderator to express disapproval of a post that might be unseemly but isn't outrageous enough to demand the wielding of the ban hammer or other more-serious sanctions.

or like i call infraction points ( mini bitch slaps)

L.A. BRONCOS FAN
01-10-2010, 07:33 PM
Nice how a corporation needs to be forced into setting a living wage.

Nice straw man.

No, the problem here is that people like you believe corporations like WalMart should be able to do whatever they want to whomever they want (whether it's their own workers or the third world sweat shop workers who make the cheap junk you buy) - no matter how inequitable or unethical - with complete impunity.

Neocons like you preach about a "free market" but what you're really defending is corporatism - not capitalism (which thrives on competition.)

L.A. BRONCOS FAN
01-10-2010, 07:41 PM
I think you missed the point. I believe for a union to be truly successful, the labor has to be skilled. Otherwise, it's easy to replace them.

No, I didn't miss your point.

My point was that better working conditions, wages, benefits, etc., usually attract a better class of workers insofar as it fosters increased competition (a concept that is obviously abhorrent to WalMart and its supporters) for jobs (which, in turn, motivates worker performance.)

L.A. BRONCOS FAN
01-10-2010, 07:46 PM
Your life must really suck. I have never witnessed someone who complains about every little thing that contradicts your small narrow world view. Has to be your upbringing.

My life "sucks" because I object to the behavior described in the OP and to WalMart's inequitable and unethical practices?

Only an unthinking, morally retarded jackal like you could make that logic work for you. :oyvey:

L.A. BRONCOS FAN
01-10-2010, 07:54 PM
WhoTF are you tell me whether Walmart provides good quality things for my own purposes?

Looks like you're joining the ranks of the right-wing straw man artists on the OM.

Hey - if you want to tell yourself the sh_t sandwich you're eating is just as good as the top sirloin the next guy is enjoying, then that's your right.

Just don't expect those who know the difference to buy into your delusions.

Odds are many of the WalMart apologists aren't old enough to remember the way things were before WalMart came down the pike.

Enjoy the illusion that you're "buying American." Any product that isn't strictly a raw material is made from a blend of suppliers and manufacturers around the world.

??? :rofl:

What kind of silly sh_t is that?

Meck77
01-10-2010, 08:35 PM
No, I didn't miss your point.

My point was that better working conditions, wages, benefits, etc., usually attract a better class of workers insofar as it fosters increased competition (a concept that is obviously abhorrent to WalMart and its supporters) for jobs (which, in turn, motivates worker performance.)

And just WTF do you know about running a business? Do you even own one? Have you ever owned one? If you have how many employees do you manage?

L.A. BRONCOS FAN
01-10-2010, 09:27 PM
And just WTF do you know about running a business? Do you even own one? Have you ever owned one? If you have how many employees do you manage?

Way to avoid actually challenging my claims - but what more can we expect from a BS artist like you?

baja
01-10-2010, 10:09 PM
Inform yourself;

http://www.walmartmovie.com/

broncocalijohn
01-10-2010, 10:09 PM
WalMart!!!

I hear from people that think that they take away from the "small guy". They do tend to shop at their local Supermarket though. Supermarket? Arent they the ones who overtook the regular "small guy" markets? Seems we might have a little hypocrisy here. But of course the Supermarkets have unions and that makes it A OK to shop there.

BroncoBuff
01-10-2010, 10:12 PM
I hate the Walmart close to me because it isnt a Costco.

Well said. Costco does things right ... they're the quintessential corporate good citizen.

Best example of the difference between them is that when Robert Greenwald made the Wal-Mart movie four years ago, the average hourly salary for all Wal-Mart store-based employees was $9.14 ... while the minimum hourly salary for all Costco store employees was $10. Ten bucks even for the seniors that serve up Vienna sausage samples all day.

Nearly twice as many Costco employees have health insurance (82%--47%), Wal-Mart's annual workforce turnover rate is triple that of Costco (21%-6%), and they better Wal-Mart in both profit-per-employee and sales per square foot.

Wal-Mart slams Costco for offering "too few choices" in products ... and yes, Costco saves by limiting inventory. But get real ... Wal-Mart customers are not exactly a discerning breed.

Sassy
01-10-2010, 10:41 PM
Well said. Costco does things right ... they're the quintessential corporate good citizen.

Best example of the difference between them is that when Robert Greenwald made the Wal-Mart movie four years ago, the average hourly salary for all Wal-Mart store-based employees was $9.14 ... while the minimum hourly salary for all Costco store employees was $10. Ten bucks even for the seniors that serve up Vienna sausage samples all day.

Nearly twice as many Costco employees have health insurance (82%--47%), Wal-Mart's annual workforce turnover rate is triple that of Costco (21%-6%), and they better Wal-Mart in both profit-per-employee and sales per square foot.

Wal-Mart slams Costco for offering "too few choices" in products ... and yes, Costco saves by limiting inventory. But get real ... Wal-Mart customers are not exactly a discerning breed.
What sucks is daycare teachers don't even get paid that! For the most part.

L.A. BRONCOS FAN
01-10-2010, 11:13 PM

Good point(s) - I forgot about COSTCO.

COSTCO's business model has been a huge success and the company has been extremely profitable.

This sort of evidence flies in the face of the rightards' usual propaganda that businesses like WalMart can't be competitive without being Scrooges to their employees.

BTW, when I read some of these half-wits who defend WalMart's practices, I always think of that exchange in "Trading Places" where one of the Duke brothers complains "we seem to be paying our employees an awful lot of money," and Winthorpe replies "well, Mortimer, you can't get around the ol' minimum wage." :laugh:

TDmvp
01-10-2010, 11:20 PM
I hear from people that think that they take away from the "small guy". They do tend to shop at their local Supermarket though. Supermarket? Arent they the ones who overtook the regular "small guy" markets? Seems we might have a little hypocrisy here. But of course the Supermarkets have unions and that makes it A OK to shop there.

spot on ...
Also I hear stories of the "small guy" mom and pop stores back in the day basically holding a gun to your head with their prices. Charge 3 bucks for a loaf of bread and if you didn't like it you can drive 35 mins to the next town and hope they have it cheaper. Mom and Pop was raping those poor people back in the day from what i hear from those old enough to remember it...

But after listening to many hear $hit on anyone who would dare step in a Walmart it sure sucks for those poor people who you all are obviously better than and smarter than who are just trying to save a little and better their lives... what human trash they must be in real life. We should just line em up and shoot em and thin the herd probably ...

TDmvp
01-10-2010, 11:34 PM
I would like to also add THANK GOD FOR THE WALMART that was built 2 mins or so from me ...
For 30 years of my 35 year life the only store near me was Kroger where i still get a lot of my food... But for 30 years if I couldn't get it at Kroger it was a 25-35 min drive to the mall.

But now that i know what poor trash shops there I may rethink it and just drive to the mall... I mean $hit I'm a millionaire , I can't be seen in places likes that.

broncocalijohn
01-10-2010, 11:46 PM
I would like to also add THANK GOD FOR THE WALMART that was built 2 mins or so from me ...
For 30 years of my 35 year life the only store near me was Kroger where i still get a lot of my food... But for 30 years if I couldn't get it at Kroger it was a 25-35 min drive to the mall.

But now that i know what poor trash shops there I may rethink it and just drive to the mall... I mean $hit I'm a millionaire , I can't be seen in places likes that.

Trust me, rich people shop at Walmart too. There is one Laguna Niguel (next to Laguna Beach) and one about 5 miles from my house (mostly middle to upper middle class). Place is packed with every type of income bracket. People just want to save money.

L.A. BRONCOS FAN
01-10-2010, 11:53 PM
People just want to save money.

Contrary to the usual right-wing straw man arguments, I don't think there's such thing as a liberal who is fundamentally opposed to either making or saving money.

It's HOW you go about doing both that's at issue here, IMO.

WalMart could still make more money than God AND you could still save money shopping at WalMart AND WalMart could treat its employees better.

L.A. BRONCOS FAN
01-11-2010, 12:55 AM
The Wal-Mart "New Jobs" Myth (http://www.progressillinois.com/2010/1/8/the-wal-mart-jobs-myth)

As the debate over expanding Wal-Mart's reach in Chicago has ramped back up, supporters for a new store on the city's South Side have played up the need to create jobs during the ongoing employment crunch. "There are people out here who need a job," an exacerbated Mayor Daley said (http://www.myfoxchicago.com/dpp/news/metro/Chicago_alderman_howard_brookins_daley_supports_wa lmart) during a news conference last month. "People could have been working here already," added Ald. Howard Brookins (21st Ward), suggesting that "the economy for the City of Chicago and the African American community would not have been as bad had we done this thing four years ago." On WTTW's Chicago Tonight yesterday, Ald. Emma Mitts -- whose 38th Ward includes the city's only Wal-Mart -- echoed the sentiment.

But will a new Wal-Mart really create such a surge of new jobs? According to new research into the performance of the store in Mitts' own ward, the promises could amount to a whole lot of hype.

Between 2006 and the early part of 2008, researchers ate the Center for Urban Research and Learning (http://www.luc.edu/curl/) (CURL) at Loyola University surveyed both the number of jobs created and the sales tax revenue generated within close proximity of that store. They concluded that economic activity in the area was "a wash." Their new report estimates that, while Wal-Mart created 320 full-time jobs, another 298 equivalent jobs were cut as 25 percent of neighboring retailers were driven out of business. And despite generating $10.2 million in sales tax revenue within the store during its first two years in operation, there was no overall growth in tax receipts in the area. More from the study: After Wal-Mart opened, [sales tax] growth in zip code 60639 fell to about zero. Rather than launching a new wave of retail development in its zip code, Wal-Mart’s opening coincides with a stagnation of retail growth in that zip code.
On WTTW yesterday, Mitts attempted to downplay the findings, claiming that "people see what they wanna see." But as the report's author, University of Illinois economic professor David Merriman, noted during the segment, the sales tax data provided by the Illinois Department of Revenue is all included in the report. "If the new businesses came in, we should see some impact on the data in the sales," he said in response to Mitts. "We don't see that. What we see is that sales are pretty much flat."

Watch:
<object><embed src="http://player.theplatform.com/ps/player/pds/LKuixhzDPK&pid=3AlBnUdPHw074RCubAFkJSYuXUkuLJSJ" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" bgcolor="#ffffff" height="248" width="400">[/URL]</object>
It's worth noting that researchers stopped their sales tax analysis at the first quarter of 2008, because of the shopping lull that's coincided with the recession.

If you factor in the more recent data, Merriman adds, "you get even a worse effect." Moreover, they found that those stores closest to Wal-Mart that sold drugs, office supplies, toys and other merchandise were most likely to fold once Wal-Mart moved in.

"What this study confirms," Tom Otto of the West Humboldt Park Development Corporation says in the report, is "there's a pie and you're just divvying it up differently in terms of sales, number of jobs; it's just shifting."

And that only underscores why the current Wal-Mart debate -- which boils down to a fight over [URL="http://www.progressillinois.com/2009/12/17/columns/wal-mart-debate"]jobs vs. good jobs (http://player.theplatform.com/ps/player/pds/LKuixhzDPK&pid=3AlBnUdPHw074RCubAFkJSYuXUkuLJSJ) -- matters. Labor leaders and city officials have been negotiating (http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/chi-city-council-wal-martdec17,0,611912.story) with the mega-retailer to ensure that if the store does set set up shop, rather than continuing their race to the bottom (http://www.progressillinois.com/2009/9/9/stopping-walmart%27s-race-to-the-bottom) on wages, the company will commit to paying at least $11.03 per hour.

As of late last month, Wal-Mart was still refusing to even negotiate on that point. Unfortunately, Mayor Daley is standing with them, recently telling (http://www.wbez.org/Content.aspx?audioID=38873) WBEZ, "[C]itizens realize that if they can work for $10 an hour or $10.50. That's $80 a day they're getting or a little bit more. That's better than nothing."

The fight over the expansion could kick off in the City Council next week. On Monday, the Finance Committee meets and we'll find out then if Wal-Mart is on the agenda. Stay tuned.

Meck77
01-11-2010, 02:07 AM
Way to avoid actually challenging my claims - but what more can we expect from a BS artist like you?

That is what I thought. You are all theory. Reminds me of a couple of college business professors I had in college. You see they loved to "teach" us about the real business world yet failed themselves at free enterprise.

L.A. BRONCOS FAN
01-11-2010, 04:29 AM
That is what I thought. You are all theory.

Well, if my "theories" re: WalMart are BS as you claim, then why are you unable to debate even one of them?

So far, you haven't taken even one "theory" and argued why, in your estimation, it is erroneous or invalid.

On the contrary, you've merely played "attack the messenger" like some sleazeball defense attorney trying to impugn the credibility of a witness in order to distract the jury from any serious examination of the substance of his testimony.

Reminds me of a couple of college business professors I had in college.

Given what I said in my last paragraph, I find it difficult to believe you attended college.

If you did attend college, and if this debate we're having is any indication, then you must have received a lot of 'Fs.'

sixtimeseight
01-11-2010, 04:44 PM

Please respond to my post

Cito Pelon
01-11-2010, 04:53 PM
"while Wal-Mart created 320 full-time jobs, another 298 equivalent jobs were cut as 25 percent of neighboring retailers were driven out of business."

That's a salient point, and hard to refute. Then you have to factor in the wage reduction. LABF to me wins this argument. Why you ask? Because it's true.

Blueflame
01-11-2010, 04:57 PM
Please respond to my post

Seeing as how it was peanut butter that made Mock so ill that he's lucky to still be alive, telling him to go and eat 5 jars of peanut butter (your remark that drew the infraction) is quite different from asking him whether or not the peanut butter was past its expiration date. One remark was more lighthearted banter; yours seemed more like a wish that he were still very ill (or very ill again) and fighting for his life. Do you see the difference now?

sixtimeseight
01-11-2010, 04:58 PM
Not really, but don't worry about it, I'm just glad the hypocrisy is laid bare for all to see.

DHallblows
01-11-2010, 05:05 PM
Yeah. Douchebag posters are dealt with more firmly than quality posters who actually add value to discussions. As they should be.

Blueflame
01-11-2010, 05:12 PM
Not really, but don't worry about it, I'm just glad the hypocrisy is laid bare for all to see.

1. There's no "hypocrisy" involved. (perhaps you might do well to look up the word... it would be hypocrisy if I gave you an infraction for running peanut butter smack on Mock but then posted peanut butter smack aimed at him myself... which I didn't and never would.)

2. Your infraction points are long expired.

3. An infraction essentially means nothing anyway (unless you amass a very large number of them) other than that a mod disapproved of your remark.

4. Your remark was disgusting and worthy of the infraction points.

cutthemdown
01-11-2010, 05:29 PM
It's really simple. If you would rather not go to Wal-mart then go somewhere else. I can believe LABF stats that having Wal-mart doesn't mean more jobs or more money for the govt.

It means more money for people's pockets and that's why they like Walmart.

How many extra meals did a family get by shopping walmart instead of a more expensive store? All these studies that try to prove the economic impact can only go so far.

Last time at walmart we needed a quick cooler and some chairs to go to an outdoor party. When we got to where we were going we bought a bunch of goodies and put them in our cheap walmart cooler. Any extra we saved ended up getting spent.

Pretty much people are going to spend what they can afford to spend. Then after that you do without. All Walmart does is knock a few bucks off so you can afford to go to the movies once in awhile.

There is nothing evil about walmart. You can get hired, quit, whatever. They hire a lot of people with only GED and HS diplomas so really it's not a career. People working there should use it to hop up into a better job. Take some classes online, go to night school, get a better job.

chadta
01-11-2010, 05:48 PM
What sucks is daycare teachers don't even get paid that! For the most part.

my wife is a day care teacher, and shes always saying its a good sign of how messed up things are when we pay people more to pick up our garbage then we do to raise our children. I in turn give her a hard time about doing 4 years of post secondary education to get into such a low paying field of work. but thats a whole different story.

Lev Vyvanse
01-11-2010, 05:48 PM
Just so you know Walmart feeds babies poison. I'm not for that sort of thing.

Cito Pelon
01-11-2010, 07:13 PM
It's really simple. If you would rather not go to Wal-mart then go somewhere else. I can believe LABF stats that having Wal-mart doesn't mean more jobs or more money for the govt.

How many extra meals did a family get by shopping walmart instead of a more expensive store? All these studies that try to prove the economic impact can only go so far.

Last time at walmart we needed a quick cooler and some chairs to go to an outdoor party. When we got to where we were going we bought a bunch of goodies and put them in our cheap walmart cooler. Any extra we saved ended up getting spent.
Pretty much people are going to spend what they can afford to spend. Then after that you do without. All Walmart does is knock a few bucks off so you can afford to go to the movies once in awhile.

There is nothing evil about walmart. You can get hired, quit, whatever. They hire a lot of people with only GED and HS diplomas so really it's not a career. People working there should use it to hop up into a better job. Take some classes online, go to night school, get a better job.

That's pretty much it. If you want high end goods from Walmart you're gonna pay the same cost as you pay at Sears, and Sears has top end goods all the time, period.

The bottom line is if you want low end goods, Walmart is your place.

L.A. BRONCOS FAN
01-11-2010, 10:44 PM

If you have no problem with HOW WalMart brings you those "always low prices," then whatever helps you sleep at night, I guess.

But my point was really this: WalMart could still make more money than God AND you could still save money shopping at WalMart AND WalMart could treat its employees better.

cutthemdown
01-11-2010, 11:04 PM
So LABF your argument is that all business should slash what 10% off profits and give it back to the workers? Or just walmart? Because honestly the union boys charge way too much for a car. I mean cmon 40 thousand dollars for a new car? With some things being so over priced funny most of your venom goes to a discount store that you think doesn't pay MR GED high enough to stock the shelves?

Honestly if anything is a joke it's how much it costs to take your kids out to the movies. Walmart? hell they just give good deals.

How about hitting up the liberals who run the entertainment biz to slash some prices? Hell my niece works at a theater and they run her like crazy for minimum wage. But hey she is young and its a first job so its all good.

That's what walmart is, a first job, or a second job for a family where either hubby or wife has a real career.

As far as how the treat employees I hope not too good. You want kids to be like this stinks I'm going to work hard, save money, get an education, get a better job.

Now if you would like to harp on the fact we don't spend enough on education, there I would agree with you. Walmart isn't a big issue though.

cutthemdown
01-11-2010, 11:14 PM
How about instead of Angelina Jolie making 10 million for a movie. She just makes 200 grand and then she won't have to spend all that time giving money away. Then kids all over could go to the movies for a nickle again.

TallyBronco
01-12-2010, 01:04 AM
Don't bother with this guy. Arrogance and ignorance combined. Waste of time.

L.A. BRONCOS FAN
01-12-2010, 02:19 AM
So LABF your argument is that all business should slash what 10% off profits and give it back to the workers? Or just walmart?

Obviously we're discussing WalMart on this thread (see thread title) but the same principles and rules should apply to all businesses, IMO.

Because honestly the union boys charge way too much for a car. I mean cmon 40 thousand dollars for a new car?

Huh? ???

Um, yes, but what does that have to do with the issues being discussed here?

In any case, as long as you're on that topic, I remember you and your pals on the right were singing an entirely different tune when Americans were getting gouged by Bush's oil buddies.

The righties were tripping all over themselves trying to defend ExxonMobil, et al.

With some things being so over priced funny most of your venom goes to a discount store that you think doesn't pay MR GED high enough to stock the shelves?

^ This statement shows that you completely missed my point.

Here it is again: WalMart could still make more money than God and you could still pay the same "always low" prices and WalMart could pay "Mr. GED" (now look who's engaging in "class warfare") a living wage + benefits.

And what is your problem with that idea?

Your problem with that idea is that it contradicts the whole "greed is good" ethic you are sworn to defend.

For you, WalMart's "right" to get over any way it can (and with impunity) is the only principle worth defending here.

That's what walmart is, a first job, or a second job for a family where either hubby or wife has a real career.

According to who?

You?

Where are you getting those stats?

Are you really suggesting these are the only classes of people who work at WalMart? :rofl:

In any event, even if you were right on that account, it doesn't follow that the people you described shouldn't be treated well - especially when we're talking about a company whose annual net profits are comparable to the GDP of entire countries.

As far as how the treat employees I hope not too good. You want kids to be like this stinks I'm going to work hard, save money, get an education, get a better job.

So much for the "dignity of labor," eh?

More typical class warfare from you.

WalMart's workforce isn't comprised of only "kids" and you know it.

Bottom line: There is always going to be a class of people who, for whatever reasons, do those menial jobs people like you regard as beneath them. (Note: not everybody in this world is going to be as smart, talented, capable, fortunate, or whatever, as you are.)

If you really want to stimulate the economy, then put more money in these people's pockets (because you know they are going to spend it.)

watermock
01-12-2010, 02:23 AM
I have the solution let's hire more Goldman Sach's insiders to the economic council.

You are clueless.

broncocalijohn
01-12-2010, 02:24 AM
nice to know LABS and his liberal friends always want to put money in people's hands but never their own cash. When it comes to charities, Republicans give more than Democrats. Just look at Obama and Biden's charity contributions before they were elected Pres and VP. As long as its forced, then they are ok with it. If they dont want to work at WM, then they dont have to apply. They do because they need a job. If you are 40 and work as a cashier at WM, then life probably has been screwed up somewhere. Hopefully, this WM job is a stepping stone to a better career. WM, in most cases, should not be a job as a career.

L.A. BRONCOS FAN
01-12-2010, 02:24 AM
Don't bother with this guy. Arrogance and ignorance combined. Waste of time.

Ha ha ha! Ha!

I've yet to find a contribution from you on this thread that would suggest there's anything between your ears but unthinking, right-wing reactionary piffle.

L.A. BRONCOS FAN
01-12-2010, 02:31 AM
If you are 40 and work as a cashier at WM, then life probably has been screwed up somewhere.

That little tidbit right there sums up the typical classist republican POV just perfectly, doesn't it?

1) If you're 40 and working at WalMart, then it must be because you f_cked up in some way or other.

2) If you work at WalMart, then, obviously, you're lower on the food chain than me, so you don't deserve to be treated fairly by your employer.

Thanks for reminding us why republicans are poster children for arrested moral development. :wave:

BroncoBuff
01-13-2010, 07:39 AM
That is what I thought. You are all theory. Reminds me of a couple of college business professors I had in college. You see they loved to "teach" us about the real business world yet failed themselves at free enterprise.

C'mon, Meck, he's citing facts and sources and studies and reports. And lots of them. That's more than just academic "theory," that's real world substance. Your response "you've never run a business" doesn't fly. You disagree, fine. But don't attack him, address the points. By attacking him personally, and his politics, you've surrendered the argument.

And cuts, really? Your response is "if you don't like it don't shop there"? Another surrender.

LABF has owned you guys in this thread ... every one of you, all by himself. He cited real world facts and figures, and each of you responded with pointless insults and platitudes. And cali, really? You think any 40 year old working at Wal-Mart has screwed up somehow? How little of the real world you know :nono:

Rohirrim
01-13-2010, 07:41 AM
Let's put it this way, for those who believe in "free" markets, Walmart is the enemy. They can shut products out of the market as they see fit unless those vendors agree to prices, and conditions, set by Walmart. It's bare knuckles market feudalism where Walmart can protect its own profit margins by eating up the profit margins of smaller vendors who can't fight Walmart's market control. It's the same crap John D. Rockefeller pulled with the railroads back in the 19th century. How can you support a system where one, massive monopoly can determine whether you, as a vendor, will be allowed to produce and sell your products on the market?

And other massive stores are heading in the same direction. Safeway is following the Walmart model, driving products off the shelves and forcing vendors to pay for space.

BroncoBuff
01-13-2010, 07:51 AM
How can you support a system where one, massive monopoly can determine whether you, as a vendor, will be allowed to produce and sell your products on the market?

Because deep down in their heart of hearts, most "free market" advocates are really hegemonistic monopolists, bent on the accumulation and centralization of wealth.

TailgateNut
01-13-2010, 08:17 AM
Because deep down in their heart of hearts, most "free market" advocates are really hegemonistic monopolists, bent on the accumulation and centralization of wealth.

They will continue to support the "free market" until they realize they ARE NOT part of the "ueber-wealthy market controlling monopolies"which their actions help create, and are then also subjected to their prices and policies.

Rohirrim
01-13-2010, 08:30 AM
People generally don't give a damn about the "big picture." If they get cheap crap from China, it's all good. They don't really care about the larger impact on the economy, or the Earth, only the immediate impact on their wallet. Who cares about lost jobs if its not your job that's lost? It's the same with organic farming. Who cares about the destruction of farmland by chemicals when you can still buy a box of Cheerios at Walmart for a buck fifty? Who cares that the seas are being destroyed by all that garbage pouring into them if you can still get the can of tuna you want for a buck at Walmart? Somewhere down the road, let some other poor sucker pay the real costs that you ignore.

If you live long enough, you can see the yearly lowering in quality of everything. The steaks available to you now? The average person would have thrown that crap to their dogs in the fifties. When I was a boy, my mother had the same Hoover vacuum for my entire school years. Now, you're lucky if you can get one of those Chinese POS to last you three months, even though it still says "Hoover" on it. And then where does it go? Into the landfill. Go get another one. Humans are taking a giant **** on the planet and believe the stink will never reach their own nostrils. We'll see about that.

We should make a law that products can't carry respectable old American brand names if they aren't made in America. See how many "Chin Chan Chung" vacuums they can sell. ;D

TailgateNut
01-13-2010, 08:34 AM
People generally don't give a damn about the "big picture." If they get cheap crap from China, it's all good. They don't really care about the larger impact on the economy, or the Earth, only the immediate impact on their wallet. Who care's about lost jobs if its not your job that's lost? It's the same with organic farming. Who cares about the destruction of farmland by chemicals when you can still buy a box of Cheerios at Walmart for a buck fifty? Who cares that the seas are being destroyed by all that garbage pouring into them if you can still get the can of tuna you want for a buck at Walmart? Somewhere down the road, let some other poor sucker pay the real costs that you ignore.

If you live long enough, you can see the yearly lowering in quality of everything. The steaks available to you now? The average person would have thrown that crap to their dogs in the fifties. When I was a boy, my mother had the same Hoover vaccuum for my entire school years. Now, you're lucky if you can't one of those Chinese POS to last you three months. And then where does it go? Into the landfill. Go get another one. Humans are taking a giant **** on the planet and believe the stink will never reach their own nostrils. We'll see about that.

Don't hold back. Preach it, my brotha.......!

TailgateNut
01-13-2010, 08:36 AM
We should make a law that products can't carry respectable old American brand names if they aren't made in America. See how many "Chin Chan Chung" vacuums they can sell. ;D

:spit:

They'll sell plenty, and those who buy that ****, we'll be back the next year buying the same product and wondering why it only worked for one day past the 1yr warranty period.

Meck77
05-19-2010, 01:45 PM
Now how is that "greedy/evil" walmart has found a way to reach out to main street while our government pissed away billions into the pockets of banksters?

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/13/us/13gift.html

Wal-Mart Gives $2 Billion to Fight Hunger
By STEPHANIE STROM
Published: May 12, 2010

The Wal-Mart Corporation announced plans Wednesday to contribute $2 billion in cash and food to the nation’s food banks, one of the largest corporate gifts on record.

Over the next five years, the giant retail company will distribute some 1.1 billion pounds of food to food banks and provide $250 million to help them buy refrigerated trucks, improve storage and develop better logistics.

“Hunger is just a huge problem, and as the largest grocer in the country, we need to be at the head of the pack in doing something about it,” said Margaret McKenna, president of the Wal-Mart Foundation.

While the economy seems to be turning around, the number of people turning to charities to help put food on their tables continues to grow. A recent survey by Feeding America found that 37 million people a year now use its national network of food banks, a 46 percent increase from 2006. The survey drew on interviews with more than 61,000 people who use food banks, as well as reports from 37,000 food banks across the country.

Put another way, 1 in every 8 Americans uses a food bank to make ends meet, the survey said.

More than one-third of those surveyed said they would not have been able to pay for basics like rent, utilities and medical care without relying on food banks to offset the cost of their meals — and more than a third said at least one person in their household was working.

“It is not just the unemployed that are going hungry,” said Vicki B. Escarra, chief executive of Feeding America.

Wal-Mart began taking on hunger as a cause in 2005, when it distributed 9.9 million pounds of food to food banks; last year, it provided 116.1 million pounds of food. The company also has donated the services of its staff to help food banks improve lighting and refrigeration and develop ways to increase the amount of fresh food on their shelves.

“We’ve learned a lot about this problem and the kinds of things we can do to help,” Ms. McKenna said. “We’ve learned, for instance, that there is a huge gap in terms of the protein and fresh produce that food banks can deliver, so we’ve learned how to fast-freeze things like meat and dairy. You can’t put 100 pounds of bananas on a truck that isn’t refrigerated and expect them to be edible for long.”

Almost one-third of the food Wal-Mart is donating this year will be fresh, and one of the first cash gifts out of the new grant will go to increasing the number of refrigerated trucks delivering food to food banks. “These are the types of resources we don’t get much from other sources,” Ms. Escarra said.

Feeding America puts the retail value of donated food at $1.59 per pound.

Wal-Mart and other companies are focusing on how to get food to children to expose them to fruits, vegetables and meats that traditionally have not been available to poor families because of limited supplies or high cost. For instance, the Target Corporation on Tuesday announced a $2.3 million program to create pantries in schools that can be used to teach children about good nutrition at the same time they are fed.

Target provided an additional $1.2 million to Feeding America to support other school-based feeding programs.

Ms. McKenna said she was concerned about getting food during the summer to children who rely on school breakfast and lunch programs. “We know about sending kids home with backpacks of food for the weekends,” she said, “but what do we do to feed them when they aren’t going to school?”

OBF1
05-19-2010, 02:03 PM
well this will go unmentioned by all the haters.

Kudos to Wallmart

Borks147
05-19-2010, 03:43 PM

I know this isn't a response to the new article - but Sony, Samsung, Hyndai, Toyota, Honda et al seem to be doing just fine.

mhgaffney
05-19-2010, 05:29 PM

BS.

There are ways to get the unsold clothing into the hands of people too poor to buy it.

The fact that Walmart did not think of this tells us what they are really about -- the bottom line. I try to avoid the place. I probably shop at Walmart 3 times a year.

Lestat
05-19-2010, 05:36 PM
plenty of companies trash unused merchandise rather than donating them.
the reason is to avoid employees getting sticky hands and claiming it to a charity and then it ending up getting sold.

Mr. Elway
05-19-2010, 06:35 PM
Penn & Teller had a great show on Organic food. They did taste tests with people to pick the difference between Organic and Normal farming. 90% of the time the people picked the normal food and said it tasted better...so apparently organic food is bull**** and people cant tell the difference anyway.

I don't think most people who eat organic food (I try to most of the time) do it because it tastes better. It's more about:

- Health: Avoiding ingesting pesticides and hormones
- Ethics: Not supporting factory farms that do all kinds of bad things to food, workers, other farmers and animals
- Community: Trying to promote sustainable, local farming

Believe me I am the last one to lecture anyone about what they should or should not be eating, but claiming that organic food is BS because Penn & Teller think it "tastes the same" as other food just misses the point entirely.

Suprisingly, Wal-mart is the biggest buyer of organic produce in the world.

Dagmar
05-19-2010, 06:42 PM
Not sure if we are still on topic, I worked for a national book chain, assistant managing a store. All easter, 4th July, halloween etc stuff gets destroyed about a month after the holiday, nothing is sent back.

Those little paperbacks that cost between 6 and $10? Covers torn off and sent back to the company, the meat of the book is book in with the cardboard recycling.

Archer81
05-19-2010, 06:47 PM
I don't think most people who eat organic food (I try to most of the time) do it because it tastes better. It's more about:

- Health: Avoiding ingesting pesticides and hormones
- Ethics: Not supporting factory farms that do all kinds of bad things to food, workers, other farmers and animals
- Community: Trying to promote sustainable, local farming

Believe me I am the last one to lecture anyone about what they should or should not be eating, but claiming that organic food is BS because Penn & Teller think it "tastes the same" as other food just misses the point entirely.

Suprisingly, Wal-mart is the biggest buyer of organic produce in the world.

It is also more expensive and has no other side benefits then making some consumers feel ok about the produce they buy. If you have organic and traditionally grown tomatoes selling side by side, the organic tomatoes will sit there for awhile simply because of the cost involved in growing and transporting them.

If there is no difference in taste, then I look for price. Im going cheaper.

Mr. Elway
05-19-2010, 07:09 PM
It is also more expensive and has no other side benefits then making some consumers feel ok about the produce they buy. If you have organic and traditionally grown tomatoes selling side by side, the organic tomatoes will sit there for awhile simply because of the cost involved in growing and transporting them.

While I think buying based on price is perfectly valid reasoning, there are many benefits to buying and eating organic food, and I cited the biggest ones in my last post.

I personally believe we will start to see a lot more studies on this in our lifetimes, and probably more government regulation will come out of it, which I'm sure you'd be thrilled about :)

Archer81
05-19-2010, 07:21 PM
While I think buying based on price is perfectly valid reasoning, there are many benefits to buying and eating organic food, and I cited the biggest ones in my last post.

I personally believe we will start to see a lot more studies on this in our lifetimes, and probably more government regulation will come out of it, which I'm sure you'd be thrilled about :)

Completely.

Quoydogs
05-19-2010, 07:28 PM
I know this isn't a response to the new article - but Sony, Samsung, Hyndai, Toyota, Honda et al seem to be doing just fine.

Hyundai, Toyota and Honda are made in the states. Just a little Fyi.

baja
05-19-2010, 07:45 PM

If you only eat for taste you will likely have early ailments.

RhymesayersDU
05-19-2010, 07:54 PM
If you only eat for taste you will likely have early ailments.

Get a lot of protein though.

baja
05-19-2010, 07:59 PM
Get a lot of protein though.

Let me tell you something profoundly true

<b>"You are what you eat"</b>

know what you are putting into your body

... and what is missing.

Mr. Elway
05-19-2010, 08:01 PM
"You are what you eat"

Sometimes I look at my dog and marvel that she is constructed entirely of IAMS mini chunks.

RhymesayersDU
05-19-2010, 08:03 PM

... and what is missing.

I'm unsure if we're telling the same joke, but if so that's hilarious.

baja
05-19-2010, 08:07 PM
Sometimes I look at my dog and marvel that she is constructed entirely of IAMS mini chunks.

It is amazing how long a body can hold up under nutritional short comings.

I had a friend that lived on cheerios and milk and he was a 60 year old college professor.

hambone13
05-19-2010, 08:32 PM

I have a close friend that works for a company that does tracking for cows from birth to slaughter. He informed me about the new "organic" designation regarding beef and the USDA. It use to be, you could call it organic, just because you wanted to and could prove that you didn't use steroids (which has never been acceptable by the USDA). Now, in order for an animal to be deemed "organic", it has to reside, with it's herd, on a particular amount of land and able to graze, naturally, until slaughter.

Bottom line, there has been companies claiming "Organic" for ages, that did nothing other than putting it on their packing. It holds true for almost every other meat/cheese/milk producer. They can claim it, just because they want to....production is production and commodity industries will find a way to get around cost. They're not very profitable...but their commodity is.

Tombstone RJ
05-19-2010, 09:03 PM
I find the term "organic" very ironic because all vegetables or fruits are organic. It's simply the way in which you grow the vegetable that differentiates it or makes it "organic." I'd prefer companies used another term to designate it (whatever food) as free of pesticides, or hormones, etc.

baja
05-19-2010, 09:12 PM
Raised or grown in their natural habitant.

course no matter what label you want to use someone will find a way around it.

Buy at local farms whenever you can and take time to know the farmer and his values in regards to his crops.

Join a good co op

check the internet for quality food providers research

Know you food.

L.A. BRONCOS FAN
05-19-2010, 10:49 PM
Now how is that "greedy/evil" walmart has found a way to reach out to main street while our government pissed away billions into the pockets of banksters?

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/13/us/13gift.html

Wal-Mart Gives $2 Billion to Fight Hunger

Don't mean to interrupt your regularly-scheduled Waltons reach-around, but did it ever occur to you that the company's motives might be less than 100% altruistic?

I believe this sort of thing is called "impression management."

And to claim that this sort of gesture (which is good on its face) somehow offsets all the harm WalMart does is just silly.

L.A. BRONCOS FAN
05-19-2010, 10:52 PM
They will continue to support the "free market" until they realize they ARE NOT part of the "ueber-wealthy market controlling monopolies"which their actions help create, and are then also subjected to their prices and policies.

Ha!

I'll never forget the handjobs on here who were defending the Oil Companies and the crooks on Wall Street while getting ass raped at the pump during the Oil Boy administration.

That's the example that sticks out in my mind.

Borks147
05-19-2010, 11:05 PM
Hyundai, Toyota and Honda are made in the states. Just a little Fyi.

I mean sure, some are, but my 2010 Honda sure says "Made in Japan"

broncocalijohn
05-19-2010, 11:20 PM

... and what is missing.

<b>"You are what you eat"</b> which might be a sun yogi

... and what is missing
I am going to say sunshine. :thanku:

baja
05-19-2010, 11:28 PM
<b>"You are what you eat"</b> which might be a sun yogi

<b>... and what is missing
I am going to say sunshine. :thanku:</b>

Unnecessary confession.;D

Meck77
05-20-2010, 05:54 AM
Don't mean to interrupt your regularly-scheduled Waltons reach-around, but did it ever occur to you that the company's motives might be less than 100% altruistic?

I believe this sort of thing is called "impression management."

And to claim that this sort of gesture (which is good on its face) somehow offsets all the harm WalMart does is just silly.

How many hungry Americans have you donated food to lately?

So Walmart is working on their image by giving back. TWO BILLION dollars is a pretty large statement and will help a lot of people.