PDA

View Full Version : Seattle fires head coach Jim Mora

HEAV
01-08-2010, 12:16 PM
RENTON, Wash. (AP) Several media outlets are reporting Jim Mora is out after one season as head coach of the Seattle Seahawks.

Foxsports.com is the first to report Friday that Mora has been fired after Seattle went 5-11 in his first season after taking over from Mike Holmgren. KJR-AM in Seattle says it received a text message from Mora confirming he was fired.

Calls and e-mails to team officials by The Associated Press seeking confirmation were not immediately returned.

It's a stunning reversal from last month when team CEO Tod Leiweke gave Mora a vote of confidence. Mora himself said this week that he expected to return in 2010, despite Seattle losing its final four games.
-------------

One and done for Jim (smell'n salts) Mora

Rohirrim
01-08-2010, 12:20 PM
I hear they are launching Coach Vista.

Borks147
01-08-2010, 12:21 PM
That is kinda surprising.

HEAV
01-08-2010, 12:23 PM
That is kinda surprising.

They let Holmgren leave, then fire Mora...what a mess.

Funny thing is Holmgren decides to keep Mangini in Cleveland...go figure.

_Oro_
01-08-2010, 12:31 PM
Mangini won a couple games down the stretch. Guess it saved his a**.

gtown
01-08-2010, 12:33 PM
I wonder if his dad forbids him from talking about the playoffs.

OBF1
01-08-2010, 12:35 PM
Bring him in for a look..... someone had to say it, it is the mane afterall.

Garcia Bronco
01-08-2010, 12:36 PM
i hear they are launching coach vista.

lol

jhat01
01-08-2010, 12:39 PM
I don't understand how these teams think it's some sort of magic pill to **** can the coach after one season...Haven't they been grooming him there for a couple years too? Oh well, Hasselback(sp?) probably only has a year ortwo at the max. Maybe Cowher will find a job this year after all.

Killericon
01-08-2010, 12:46 PM
Stupid, stupid, stupid move.

400HZ
01-08-2010, 12:47 PM
Good move. That team was listless all year.

dbfan21
01-08-2010, 12:50 PM
bring him in for a look..... Someone had to say it, it is the mane afterall.

qft! Lol

ColoradoDarin
01-08-2010, 01:13 PM
This is quite a surprise, no one was talking about Mora on the hot seat, he was a hand picked successor.

WolfpackGuy
01-08-2010, 01:17 PM
At least the new coach will have an extra first round pick to help him...

s0phr0syne
01-08-2010, 01:18 PM
latest reports strong mutual interest betwixt Pete Carroll and Seattle.

Flex Gunmetal
01-08-2010, 01:21 PM
In a league with a 16 game season, it's incredibly stupid to fire a head coach after one season.
Unless he's banging the owner's wife.

HEAV
01-08-2010, 01:24 PM
latest reports strong mutual interest betwixt Pete Carroll and Seattle.

Pete would be nuts to leave USC.

Broncoman13
01-08-2010, 01:26 PM
Mike Shanahan will bring in Mora to coach his Defense... somebody had to say it! ;)

worm
01-08-2010, 01:29 PM
Jim Mora blows. His personality sucks.

He is mentally weak and easy to get off his game. His explosion of the Lynch hit while HC at Atlanta will always keep him on my hated list.

SouthStndJunkie
01-08-2010, 01:33 PM
Report: Seahawks targeting Pete Carroll

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/01/08/report-seahawks-targeting-pete-carroll/

Posted by Mike Florio on January 8, 2010 3:05 PM ET

On the same day the Seattle Seahawks surprisingly dumped coach Jim Mora, word has emerged that the Seahawks are plotting a run at USC coach Pete Carroll.

Per Chris Mortensen of ESPN, Carroll is the primary target. And Carroll reportedly is interested.

With no coach and no G.M., Carroll would likely be given full control of the football operations. Many believe that one of his first orders of business would be to hire Pat Kirwan of Sirius NFL Radio and CBS to handle contract negotiations and player evaluations.

Mort also reports that Carroll would bring with him to Seattle his current offensive coordinator, Jeremy Bates. The former Broncos quarterbacks coach has been contacted by the Bears, given that Bates worked well with quarterback Jay Cutler in Denver.

The fact that word has trickled out is somewhat shocking, given that Carroll's recruiting efforts will be dramatically undermined unless and until he makes it clear that he's not going to be the Alabama coach.

Alternatively, Carroll needs to leave quickly -- and the Seahawks will be required to interview a minority candidate for the coaching job before hiring Carroll, unless they've interviewed internal candidates for the job before firing Mora, Redskins-style.

If they haven't pre-complied with the Rooney Rule, they might have trouble finding someone to sit for the job. Mort reports that Vikings defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier already has declined an opportunity to interview for the job, citing the possibility that the session would merely represent an attempt to satisfy the rule that one minority candidate be interviewed.

WolfpackGuy
01-08-2010, 01:35 PM
Carroll's current team could take out the Squawks.

WABronco
01-08-2010, 01:46 PM
Mora was an embarassment. He's only part of the poison in the well, but they needed to flush him.

HEAV
01-08-2010, 02:03 PM
Carroll's recruiting efforts will be dramatically undermined unless and until he makes it clear that he's not going to be the Alabama coach.

When did that happen?

Rohirrim
01-08-2010, 02:07 PM
Carroll's recruiting efforts will be dramatically undermined unless and until he makes it clear that he's not going to be the Alabama coach.

When did that happen?

Once again, another brilliantly researched Florio article. Ha!

WABronco
01-08-2010, 03:47 PM
he's not going to be the Alabama coach (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2705288)

Jason in LA
01-08-2010, 04:02 PM
If Pete left, now would be the time. The NCAA might be coming down on USC soon. Joe McKnight was smart to go pro. Pete might be thinking the same thing.

BigPlayShay
01-08-2010, 04:08 PM
If Pete left, now would be the time. The NCAA might be coming down on USC soon. Joe McKnight was smart to go pro. Pete might be thinking the same thing.

Reggis Bush thing is still out there and may be coming to head soon:

http://espn.go.com/blog/pac10/post/_/id/6632/does-this-mean-eventual-closure-for-bush-usc-case

kamakazi_kal
01-08-2010, 04:17 PM
as much as seattle sucked I'd take the bald wonder hasselbeck over Orton.

400HZ
01-08-2010, 04:37 PM
Once again, another brilliantly researched Florio article. Ha!

Wow, that went right over your head.

Rohirrim
01-08-2010, 05:17 PM
Wow, that went right over your head.

Yeah, but I caught it the third time it went by. !Booya!

WABronco
01-08-2010, 06:09 PM

No, no you wouldn't.

Maybe 3 years ago.

Gort
01-08-2010, 07:01 PM

i've always said that i thought the USC "dynasty" is this past decade was probably built on the back of a crooked program. i don't care what school or what coach it is, there are too many hangers-on and too much pressure to win at the big name programs, for their not to be violations of all sorts. and with alot of today's top young players viewing college as something they have to endure before getting a shot at the NFL, it's not too hard to see how a promising sophomore could be tempted with gifts from a booster. of all of the perennial contenders for a national championship, i can think of only 2 schools that are probably run honest programs. Notre Dame because of who they are, and Penn State because of Paterno's own ethics. everyone else... from Florida to Miami to USC to Texas to Nebraska to whomever is a perennial contender is probably not 100% clean.

TheDave
01-08-2010, 07:35 PM
FWIW, the rumor on the radio is that they have been negotiating with Carrol for a few weeks now... Total control (ala Shannahan), Salary in the 8-10 million range, and Jeremy bates coming with him as the OC.

Jason in LA
01-08-2010, 09:18 PM
Listening to LA radio it sounds like he's as good as gone. They're talking about who his replacement will be. When I turned the radio on it sounded like he had already made the announcement.

USC is in big trouble. They've lost a lot of assistances over the past few years, a new coaching staff is coming in, and they'll probably get stuck with the punishment from the NCAA. Yeah, it's not looking good. The could be looking like the 1990s Trojans pretty soon. Sucks for them!

SoCalBronco
01-08-2010, 10:47 PM
Take the Seattle job, Pete!

This is great. It is timed perfectly to destroy their class and incentize talented juniors to jump ship.

I really hope he takes it. The NCAA then bringing the hammer down shortly thereafter would be a cherry on the top!

sisterhellfyre
01-08-2010, 11:08 PM
USC is in big trouble. They've lost a lot of assistances over the past few years, a new coaching staff is coming in, and they'll probably get stuck with the punishment from the NCAA. Yeah, it's not looking good. The could be looking like the 1990s Trojans pretty soon. Sucks for them!

Couldn't happen to a nicer, more deserving bunch of people.

NFLBRONCO
01-08-2010, 11:10 PM
Bad part though the staff that caused issues bolt leaving new guy holding the bag not fair imo.

Taco John
01-09-2010, 12:24 AM
Frankly, I've never understood how Mora Jr. ended up with a head coaching job, let alone a second one. Just what exactly has this guy accomplished at any level to justify it?

Taco John
01-09-2010, 12:25 AM

O hell no

worm
01-09-2010, 12:31 AM
Listening to LA radio it sounds like he's as good as gone. They're talking about who his replacement will be. When I turned the radio on it sounded like he had already made the announcement.

As a UCLA guy...you must be stoked.

broncocalijohn
01-09-2010, 01:12 AM

Pete is like the God Father in LA. USC is Pro football in LA/OC. If he leaves to Seattle, at least it is quiet there media-wise and NFC West is pretty much the step child now of the NFL. I hope he stays as he has it good. Sucks when a program is on probation and then the coach takes off. Between Bush and McKnight, they only cared for themselves once they hit close to entering the draft. Any college player that screws up a program and gets caught before entering the draft, should have to sit out that year. He can play in the new league for that year. That player gets to walk and make a killing while the program suffers. Not all programs are innocent. USC's BB program is finding that out that currently with Mayo and the former coach.

uplink
01-09-2010, 09:08 AM
the seahawks were one of the great preseason teams this year, remember how good everyone thought they'd be then? Funny how the preseason does indeed mean nothing.
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Doggcow
01-09-2010, 04:46 PM
Seahawks fan on Mora: "He had one year and killed it. We have not improved. The record might say so but the output and talent level has not. ****, I know this isn't as relevant but at the start of the season, the seahawks were an 86 on madden and now they are a 74 based on play through the season. Point being, Mora came in with certain expectations, he didn't meet them."

ROFL THIS FANBASE IS PATHETIC!