PDA

View Full Version : Memo to Mac: “Shhhh” is the word in the NFL

oubronco
01-08-2010, 09:04 AM
This may sound strange coming from a media type who never met a secret he didn’t like to expose, but Josh McDaniels needs to keep things on the hush-hush at Dove Valley.

J-Mac said in his year-end press conference that he wished some issues that hit the headlines in Denver and all points beyond had stayed behind closed doors. Things like, oh, his ongoing feud with Brandon Marshall which resulted in Marshall being benched for the season finale. Or the fact that Tony Scheffler also was benched for attitude issues after telling teammates he was fed up and couldn’t wait for the season to end.

Trouble is, McDaniels is the one who makes the issues public. Which is fine, of course. In fact, it’s highly encouraged by the media corps that covers the Broncos on a daily basis. There’s just one problem: There is going to come the day, probably about two or three months down the road, when McDaniels is going to try to trade both Marshall and Scheffler.

Both are scheduled to become restricted free agents. Technically, the Broncos would have the right to match any offer for both. And if they didn’t match, they would get first- and third-round draft choices for Marshall and a second-rounder for Scheffler. Like I said, technically, that’s how it works in the NFL.

In reality, when a team wants to move a restricted free agent, it works out the best package of draft picks it can get and trades him to a team that wants him. Sometimes, teams overpay for players, as was the case last year when the Cowboys gave up a first-rounder and another draft pick to the Lions for wide receiver Roy Williams.

Let the record show that Williams isn’t half the player Marshall is. But, thanks to all of his issues being hung out to dry like so much dirty laundry, the rest of the league knows the Broncos want to get rid of him. So in all likelihood, they wouldn’t be able to get full value for him. Same with Scheffler, now that the rest of the league’s GMs know he was essentially suspended for attitude issues.

Getting less than full value for players is no way to build a franchise in the NFL. But in the aftermath of the Marshall and Scheffler fiascoes, that’s just what the Broncos are going to get. Maybe, just maybe, McDaniels still can get top dollar for both, but I wouldn’t count on it.

Jim Armstrong: 303-954-1269 or jmarmstrong@denverpost.com

Smiling Assassin27
01-08-2010, 09:13 AM
I couldn't agree more. It doesn't take much forethought to see that if something will potentially compromise our team's ability to execute, gameplan, sign, and/or trade a player, mum's the best policy. Even if the player's flappin' his gums to anyone who will listen.

And when it doubt, lie, lie again...This is a high stakes game of Survivor, not a leisurely game of Candyland.

DenverBrit
01-08-2010, 09:26 AM
Teams will compete with each other and won't give a rat's ass about the relationship between coach and player.

This isn't about Denver, it's about BM and the teams that want him.

jhns
01-08-2010, 09:28 AM
I said this exact thing earlier in the week. Armstrong is one smart reporter.

chex
01-08-2010, 09:29 AM
I know, it killed us in the Cutler trade.

Paladin
01-08-2010, 09:33 AM
And, by gawd, we got the internet toughies that will search out any and all "lies" with which to skewer McD or Orton. Yes siree....

I don't think McD really gives a monkey' arse what anyone else thinks right now. He has his own vision of the team and he will pursue it whether anyone else likes it or not. I have never heard of a single coach who ever changed his mind or made any changes whatsoever as a result of a postings on an obscure bulletin board or other sources of "public opinion", and sports "reporters" and newspaper wenches.

I completely understand why Bellicheck just doesn't give muchinformation to the press at all. I agree: Don't tell anyone a thing. They wouldn't know what to say about it, anyway.......

broncocalijohn
01-08-2010, 09:40 AM
hopefully BMarsh's talent out ways a ton more than his personal and team problems. Would love to get those draft picks. Ive been saying that i would love a WR and a pick. Austin Miles straight up or with a 4th rounder, but I dont know if Cowboys would entertain something to that. Cowboys doing pretty well without T.O. around. If Marshall is gone, hope we get the same team production out of our vets and newbies.

jhns
01-08-2010, 09:43 AM

Cutler also only had a problem a single time and it was him being mad about being traded. Do you really think that compares to all of Marshalls problems? A better example would be TO or Moss. Those guys don't even have off field problems like Marshall and teams couldn't get anything for them. Also, the NFL treats QBs far different than they treat receivers.

Popps
01-08-2010, 09:44 AM

:rofl:

chex
01-08-2010, 09:50 AM
Cutler also only had a problem a single time and it was him being mad about being traded. Do you really think that compares to all of Marshalls problems? A better example would be TO or Moss. Those guys don't even have off field problems like Marshall and teams couldn't get anything for them. Also, the NFL treats QBs far different than they treat receivers.

The theme of the article is not about off the field issues, it's about a coach airing dirty laundry and negatively impacting a players trade value. Everyone knew Cutler wanted out and we were doing what we could to accommodate him, and we still got a huge haul for him.

Learn to read goddamit.

TonyR
01-08-2010, 09:51 AM
Armstrong's theory sounds good until you think about it and realize that it's overly simplistic. If Team X wants Brandon Marshall they want Brandon Marshall. Team X has a price it's willing to pay to get him. They may think they can low ball because Denver is supposedly "desperate" to get rid of him, and they're smart to try. But Denver has a minimum price they're willing to deal Brandon Marshall for. If Team X doesn't meet that price they don't get Brandon Marshall. So now we're back to the price Team X is willing to pay. If that price is at or above Denver's minimum then a deal will be made. If not then any other suitor has a shot or Denver keeps him. At some point Denver may be willing to lower their demand, and/or Team X or some other team may be willing to increase what they're willing to pay. But at the end of the day Denver's assumed desperation to rid itself of Brandon Marshall is hardly a factor. If you want a perfect of example of this in action see what happened with Jay Cutler. Chicago wanted him, Chicago paid for him, all in spite of the controversy swirling in Denver.

ColoradoDarin
01-08-2010, 09:54 AM
If anyone's right it's Jim Armstrong, of course....

Someone look up his archives from last year and see if he said the same thing about Cutler?

Garcia Bronco
01-08-2010, 09:55 AM
It's all win-win for the Broncos

jhns
01-08-2010, 09:59 AM
The theme of the article is not about off the field issues, it's about a coach airing dirty laundry and negatively impacting a players trade value. Everyone knew Cutler wanted out and we were doing what we could to accommodate him, and we still got a huge haul for him.

Learn to read goddamit.

My examples were Moss and TO and you come back with I am just talking about off the field issues? Ok?

He is adding to the off field issues and letting the league know he is another TO. Again, cutlers single problem does not compare to this situation at all.

Ambiguous
01-08-2010, 11:05 AM
If you are going to shop guys like Cutler and Marshall, it's pretty apparent that the relationship isn't working anyway.

Rabb
01-08-2010, 11:30 AM
If you are going to shop guys like Cutler and Marshall, it's pretty apparent that the relationship isn't working anyway.

that's what I am saying, Braylon Edwards, Kellen Winslow, Randy Moss, TO

they all have issues and people pay anyhow because they are talented enough to put butts in seats and sell jerseys

there is a bottom line and it has pretty much nothing to do anymore with integrity and relationships...it's talent and doh rey mi's

can you catch the ball at point A and run it to point B a lot?

awesome, you're hired

it reminds me of that scene in Stripes where the recruiter asks them:

Have you ever been convicted
of a felony or a misdemeanor?

Convicted? No, never convicted.

hell we have alleged rapists and murderers that are perennial pro bowlers!