PDA

View Full Version : Could Ben Watson wind up in Denver?

Florida_Bronco
01-07-2010, 10:44 PM
It just occurred to me that Ben Watson will be an unrestricted free agent this offseason and with Scheffler uncertain to return, there is a chance that Josh could look to bring Watson here to replace him.

Thoughts?

Los Broncos
01-07-2010, 10:47 PM
Seems pretty likely, is he similar to Sheffler? or should I say, is he afraid to take a hit?

Florida_Bronco
01-07-2010, 11:05 PM
Seems pretty likely, is he similar to Sheffler? or should I say, is he afraid to take a hit?

Similar skill sets, yes.

Los Broncos
01-07-2010, 11:07 PM
Similar skill sets, yes.

And fast I might add, remember him running down Champ?

OBF1
01-07-2010, 11:07 PM
Not without Graham taking a pay cut.

Florida_Bronco
01-07-2010, 11:08 PM
And fast I might add, remember him running down Champ?

Yes he's fast. 4.4 in the 40 during the combine IIRC.

Los Broncos
01-07-2010, 11:09 PM
A couple of mocks have us taking a TE in the later rounds, don't know if it would affect us signing him or not.

Maybe we find a late round gem.

Los Broncos
01-07-2010, 11:12 PM
Yes he's fast. 4.4 in the 40 during the combine IIRC.

With him and Graham that would be pretty good assuming Watson is a better blocker than Sheffler.

extralife
01-07-2010, 11:21 PM
More importantly: does anyone care?

so our underutilized, underachieving receiving tight end goes from a shanahan guy to a mcdaniels guy. or from white to black, if you fancy.

Popps
01-07-2010, 11:23 PM
Lots of appealing ex-Pats out there that could help this team. Let's hope we swoop a few up.

The issue right now is... who's really going to be a free agent, and who isn't. This labor thing is a big roadblock.

extralife
01-07-2010, 11:25 PM
Lots of appealing ex-Pats out there that could help this team.

yeah, lets just ignore the entire pool of NFL players and focus on ex patriots (and I don't mean Earnest Hemingway *rimshot*). maybe mcdaniels has a nice list of people worth considering again.

atomicbloke
01-07-2010, 11:25 PM
where does our ace draft pick, Quinn fit in all this?

Ratboy
01-07-2010, 11:29 PM

Probably cut.

Popps
01-07-2010, 11:31 PM
yeah, lets just ignore the entire pool of NFL players and focus on ex patriots (and I don't mean Earnest Hemingway *rimshot*). maybe mcdaniels has a nice list of people worth considering again.

Did I say that?

Wow, you widows are some bitter, sad people.

I said there are ex-Pats that could help us.

You might find this nutty, but coaches often grab players from their old team to help implement their systems. Shocking, I know.

Popps
01-07-2010, 11:32 PM

He'll work to be Graham's replacement, or used as a blocking TE in 2-TE sets, which NE ran regularly.

Clockwork Orange
01-07-2010, 11:45 PM
If McDaniels wants to go after a Pats player currently slated to be a UFA, give me that fat bastard Vince Wilfork to plug in the middle of this D-Line.

Florida_Bronco
01-08-2010, 12:19 AM
Lots of appealing ex-Pats out there that could help this team. Let's hope we swoop a few up.

The issue right now is... who's really going to be a free agent, and who isn't. This labor thing is a big roadblock.

Watson has his 6 years in the league, so he will be an unrestricted free agent if the Pats don't resign him, and it appears they're ready to let him walk.

He'll work to be Graham's replacement, or used as a blocking TE in 2-TE sets, which NE ran regularly.

Yep. The Pats drafted Dave Thomas in the 3rd round a few years back even though they had Graham and Watson on the team. I don't think Josh would shy away from having three legitimate tight ends on the roster, especially if Watson comes in at a reasonable price.

Popps
01-08-2010, 12:34 AM
I'd love to see Watson in Denver. Tight end seems to be a position where guys with experience can really put it to work. Think about how many quality TEs have been productive well into their mid-30s. He's 29 now, so I think it's a great time for a team to land him.

It would also be one less guy we'd have to babysit as far as learning the system. He'd walk right in and know every play in the playbook.

broncocalijohn
01-08-2010, 01:01 AM

Hell, who is that? Dude better come around or picking up Watson or another FA Tight End for an extended contract would show one major bust so far. Graham should be able to handle the chores with the money he is receiving. Not too happy with his last game. Thought his drop passes were pretty much over. Hope it was just not sucking it up for one of the most important games of the year.

eddie mac
01-08-2010, 01:56 AM
Probably cut.

Hilarious!

eddie mac
01-08-2010, 01:58 AM
Watson has his 6 years in the league, so he will be an unrestricted free agent if the Pats don't resign him, and it appears they're ready to let him walk.

Yep. The Pats drafted Dave Thomas in the 3rd round a few years back even though they had Graham and Watson on the team. I don't think Josh would shy away from having three legitimate tight ends on the roster, especially if Watson comes in at a reasonable price.

There may be interest in Dave as well cos he'll be on the market albeit restricted one.

Dont forget Faulk is also a FA as are Mankins and Neal.

montrose
01-08-2010, 09:36 AM
I could see us taking a look at Watson but if we spend money on a NE guy, I want:

1) Mankins
2) Seymour (still a NE guy to me)
3) Neal

The Joker
01-08-2010, 09:41 AM
Is Mankins a FA?

He's played 5 years in the NFL, I thought that without a new CBA a player would need 6 years of service to qualify for UFA?

So the Pats can most likely keep him pretty cheap for one more year with a RFA tender, and we're not giving up our #1 for him.

BigPlayShay
01-08-2010, 09:43 AM
Who are the free agents on Carolina's offense? They run a similar system.

oubronco
01-08-2010, 09:44 AM
didn't we just draft a TE or was Quinn the air apparent long snapper?

azbroncfan
01-08-2010, 09:45 AM
Watson is a more complete TE than Scheffler. I think Tony is more talented recieving but is super injury prone and a terrible blocker. I would love the exchange of Watson for Tony S.

Requiem
01-08-2010, 09:51 AM
If you want my honest opinion, Marquez Branson might see a decent role with us next year.

WolfpackGuy
01-08-2010, 09:52 AM

Quinn's the ace fake punt pass blocker.

Good thing.

Since those situations come up.

A LOT...

Pony Boy
01-08-2010, 09:53 AM
A couple of mocks have us taking a TE in the later rounds, don't know if it would affect us signing him or not.

Maybe we find a late round gem.

Jermain Gresham could be a steal in the draft....

TonyR
01-08-2010, 09:55 AM
Is Mankins a FA?

He's played 5 years in the NFL, I thought that without a new CBA a player would need 6 years of service to qualify for UFA?

So the Pats can most likely keep him pretty cheap for one more year with a RFA tender, and we're not giving up our #1 for him.

I believe he's a RFA which means Denver getting him is very unlikely.

oubronco
01-08-2010, 10:02 AM

OH Hell Yea

TonyR
01-08-2010, 10:05 AM

Regarding Quinn consider the Eagles' TE Brent Celek. Not a perfect comparison to Quinn, but he wasn't given much respected during or after his first two seasons in Philly. They let L.J. Smith go before this season and drafted Cornelius Ingram to compete as his replacement. Until Ingram blew out his knee in training camp he was considered to have the job. What did afterthought Brent Celek to this year? 76-971-8.

My point isn't that Richard Quinn is going to explode like Brent Celek. My point is that sometimes you don't know what you have until a couple of years down the road.

oubronco
01-08-2010, 10:06 AM
Did Quinn even play?

Los Broncos
01-08-2010, 10:34 AM

I think that's the guy a mock had us taking, would have to check.

mr007
01-08-2010, 10:53 AM
If we get rid of Sheffler it would be great to pickup Watson. He has solid hands and is a similar albeit more talented option than Sheffler. I was at the game where he ran down Champ after that int and I was like who the **** is that.

Florida_Bronco
01-08-2010, 10:53 AM
There may be interest in Dave as well cos he'll be on the market albeit restricted one.

Dont forget Faulk is also a FA as are Mankins and Neal.

Dave Thomas is in New Orleans now. Was he only on a one year deal there? I'd absolutely go nuts if we were able to get Mankins as well.

Florida_Bronco
01-08-2010, 10:55 AM
didn't we just draft a TE or was Quinn the air apparent long snapper? Quinn is a blocking type tight end. He's like a younger Daniel Graham.

broncocalijohn
01-08-2010, 11:03 AM
didn't we just draft a TE or was Quinn the air apparent long snapper?

someone said punter. You can never have enough punters.

Ambiguous
01-08-2010, 11:12 AM
If McDaniels wants to go after a Pats player currently slated to be a UFA, give me that fat bastard Vince Wilfork to plug in the middle of this D-Line.

This. That would be awesome.

gyldenlove
01-08-2010, 11:15 AM
Regarding Quinn consider the Eagles' TE Brent Celek. Not a perfect comparison to Quinn, but he wasn't given much respected during or after his first two seasons in Philly. They let L.J. Smith go before this season and drafted Cornelius Ingram to compete as his replacement. Until Ingram blew out his knee in training camp he was considered to have the job. What did afterthought Brent Celek to this year? 76-971-8.

My point isn't that Richard Quinn is going to explode like Brent Celek. My point is that sometimes you don't know what you have until a couple of years down the road.

The big difference is that Celek proved in college that he can catch the ball, was considered an effective short route reciever and a mediocre blocker when he came out.

Quinn had about as many receptions in college as he does fingers, is considered in all scouting reports I have read to be slow and having poor ability to get into his routes quickly but a good blocker.

Just because both of them were TEs that were considered marginal prospects doesn't mean they will turn out the same way. Antonio Gates was not highly thought of, but he has turned out okay.

kappys
01-08-2010, 11:20 AM
Did Quinn even play?

Pretty much no. On the one job I thought he might get - 3rd TE/H-back blocker Russ Hochstein got the nod. Then when Russ was called up to start he still rode the pine on those plays.

azbroncfan
01-08-2010, 12:21 PM

Me too get us a big fat slob in the middle.

Los Broncos
01-10-2010, 12:00 PM
Well, Watson can take a hit, he should of caught that ball thou.

Los Broncos
01-10-2010, 12:07 PM
Good block by Watson on Lewis...

Popps
01-10-2010, 12:45 PM
Watson is a more complete TE than Scheffler. I think Tony is more talented recieving but is super injury prone and a terrible blocker. .

Scheffler drops balls like crazy.

Just re-watched the 1st KC game last night. Dude dropped a huge first down catch right in his bread basket. His stats say he had 5 dropped balls, which isn't good. Seemed like even more. He caught 31 passes this year.

But, he "couldn't wait for the season to be over," so you can't blame him, I guess.

fontaine
01-10-2010, 01:36 PM
Why the hell would we want to pay premium dollars to a TE where we already overpay for Graham, have Scheffler for rock bottom price for another year, and have just invested a high draft pick on Quinn?

Watson would, AT BEST be sharing snaps with Graham with two or three catches like Scheff and at worst take away snaps and development time from Quinn.

It's nonsensical, lateral moves like this one that set this franchise back before. I'd rather save all FA dollars on guys that can make a difference along the trenches.

Just because they're a former Patriot doesn't mean they will be a great addition here.

Popps
01-10-2010, 01:38 PM
It's nonsensical, lateral moves like this one that set this franchise back before. I'd rather save all FA dollars on guys that can make a difference along the trenches.

Lateral?

Scheffler isn't a great blocker and drops balls on a regular basis at crucial times.

Watson is a better athlete and a better all around player. Lateral?

As for the trenches, the thought is that we'd sign and draft more than one player this year. So, I'd guess we'd still have a chance to make upgrades, there.

yavoon
01-10-2010, 02:17 PM
I hope not. watson was an athletic freak out of college but he's really very unscary as an nfl tight end.

fontaine
01-10-2010, 03:15 PM
Lateral?

Scheffler isn't a great blocker and drops balls on a regular basis at crucial times.

Watson is a better athlete and a better all around player. Lateral?

Not quite sure what you're talking about as for the past three seasons Scheffler not only has had more receptions, first downs, and 20+ yard catches than Watson but in 07 and 08 he caught a much greater percentage of passes.

Watson might be a slightly better blocker but he's also missed more games that Scheffler the last three seasons so that's pretty much a wash.

And all of this and he's working in a new system this year while Watson has had Tom Brady throwing him the ball.

So yes, absolutely it's a lateral move with Bowlen having to shell out a long term signing bonus with it when we get Scheffler for peanuts as he'll be an RFA.