PDA

View Full Version : Hell just froze over: Norv Turner, Coach of the year!

richpjr
01-07-2010, 04:53 PM
It wasn't that long ago when McDaniels had this locked up.

Norv Turner wins USA TODAY's top coach after Chargers' surge

Four months after saying his Chargers weren't as good as fans thought they would be, San Diego coach Norv Turner has won USA TODAY's NFL Coach of the Year award.

Turner led the Chargers back from a 2-3 start with 11 straight victories that earned his team a playoff bye. The Chargers, at 13-3, finished just one game behind the Colts for the best record in the NFL.

Turner has led the Chargers to the playoffs in all three of his seasons in San Diego, but said that this year has been his most rewarding.

"I'm not very good at comparing those things, but the biggest thing for me is the job the assistant coaches have done and the number of people we have that have contributed to this team," Turner said. "That part of it is impressive."

Turner received 23 of 66 points from the 11-member panel of USA TODAY football writers and editors. He earned five first-place votes, and edged out Cincinnati coach Marvin Lewis (who had four first-place votes) by three points.

The Chargers and Turner were a late arrival into the race for postseason awards. They started 2-3 and were 3 games behind the Denver Broncos after a home loss to them on Oct. 19.

Many analysts suggested the Chargers were Super Bowl contenders in the preseason. But Turner sent a jolt to his team in December after a Week 2 loss to the Ravens, after a close-call win in the opener at Oakland.

"I don't think right now we're as good as you that cover us think or expect us to be; I don't think we're as good as what our fans want us to be," Turner said. "But I believe we can get there. We've got a lot of work to get there."

His premonition was tested with two losses in the next three games, but the Chargers wouldn't lose another game after their Week 6 defeat to Denver. The Broncos' tailspin eliminated first-half favorite Josh McDaniels from top coach honors. And the late-season slips by the Indianapolis Colts and New Orleans Saints (who combined to lose their last five games after each opening the season 14-0 and 13-0, respectively) helped distinguish the Chargers' surge.

Turner led his team to impressive fourth-quarter comeback victories on the road against the New York Giants and Dallas Cowboys and a Week 15 win against the Cincinnati Bengals that helped solidify a playoff bye.

Winning Coach of the Year honors does not guarantee Turner postseason success, however. Turner still has yet to reach the elite level of NFL coaches who have hoisted the Lombardi Trophy.

That remains an obstacle for him. He has a 4-3 record in postseason play and has never reached the Super Bowl. It's a threshold that the Chargers, who have been to the playoffs in five of the past six years, are hoping to cross.

Lewis' second-place finish is a testament to the turnaround he led in Cincinnati, where the Bengals clinched the AFC North with their first winning record in four years and just their second playoff berth since 1990. He coached the Bengals through the loss of Vikki Zimmer, the wife of defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer, and the death of receiver Chris Henry in December.

Caldwell, the third-place finisher, seemed to be cruising to the award when his Colts became just the third team to start a season 14-0. But the controversy surrounding the Colts lifting their starters in the two losses helped douse his candidacy.

Complete voting results:

Norv Turner, San Diego: 23 points (five first-place votes)

Marvin Lewis, Cincinnati: 20 points, (four first-place votes)

Jim Caldwell, Indianapolis: 11 points

Sean Payton, New Orleans: 6 points (one first-place vote)

Mike McCarthy, Green Bay: 3 points (one first-place vote)

Ziggy
01-07-2010, 04:55 PM
I appreciate Norv having the kind of regular season that he had. Had he screwed up during the season, Shanahan might be in SD now.

bowtown
01-07-2010, 04:56 PM
They should lock him up right now as coach for life. Come on SD, do it!

PRBronco
01-07-2010, 04:58 PM
Four more years! Four more years!

tsiguy96
01-07-2010, 05:02 PM
I appreciate Norv having the kind of regular season that he had. Had he screwed up during the season, Shanahan might be in SD now.

funny people still feel the need to bag on norv especially after the last few seasons hes had. he took them to AFCC game last year, had like a 10 or 11 game winning streak this year. when will jokes stop about this team that is vastly better than ours in every way?

mr007
01-07-2010, 05:04 PM
Where you at Baja you owe me 10 bucks!!!!

PRBronco
01-07-2010, 05:07 PM
funny people still feel the need to bag on norv especially after the last few seasons hes had. he took them to AFCC game last year, had like a 10 or 11 game winning streak this year. when will jokes stop about this team that is vastly better than ours in every way?

The Chargers flummoxed me greatly this year. They could neither stop the run, nor run the ball, yet week in and week out, teams (including us, ugggh) insisted on getting into aerial shootouts with them that they couldn't possibly win. I've thought for a long time now that you can't go deep into the playoffs if you can't do either of those things, but ****...if no one's caught on yet, good for Norv.

Lev Vyvanse
01-07-2010, 05:14 PM
http://www.ibabuzz.com/darthraider/wp-content/uploads/2008/01/excellent.jpg

Coach for life I hope.

boltaneer
01-07-2010, 05:20 PM
The Chargers flummoxed me greatly this year. They could neither stop the run, nor run the ball, yet week in and week out, teams (including us, ugggh) insisted on getting into aerial shootouts with them that they couldn't possibly win. I've thought for a long time now that you can't go deep into the playoffs if you can't do either of those things, but ****...if no one's caught on yet, good for Norv.

This is one (slight) concern I have with the Chargers going into the playoffs because I did notice it against the Giants and Cowboys, where they went away from the run in a close game. People are used to the Chargers having a good run defense and a poor pass defense but this year it has flip-flopped. The secondary is playing about as good as I can remember in the past few years.

In general though, the Chargers often go up a couple of scores and force their opponents to become one dimensional. As long as their offense can keep putting up points, teams will have to go away from the run to keep up.

Norv totally deserves this award. People still have this perception of him as a failure because of his time in Washington and Oakland but to be honest, he really didn't have much of a chance to succeed in those places. Everyone who has followed in his footsteps in those locations haven't fared any better.

Even though he was taking over a 14-2 team, he still needed time to get his staff and players who fit what he wants to do. It took a couple of years, as it normally does and he's got the team performing like a well oiled machine.

boltaneer
01-07-2010, 05:21 PM
Four more years! Four more years!

Be careful what you wish for!

PRBronco
01-07-2010, 05:24 PM

Bah! BAH!

I'm curious why more people don't try the double A gap blitz over and over against Rivers either. It's the only thing that kept us in the win over SD.

Hogan11
01-07-2010, 05:27 PM
Yawn

Lev Vyvanse
01-07-2010, 05:29 PM
Bah! BAH!

I'm curious why more people don't try the double A gap blitz over and over against Rivers either. It's the only thing that kept us in the win over SD.

You would have a hard time living off that blitz. One half is about all the mileage you are going to get out of that call.

boltaneer
01-07-2010, 05:32 PM
Bah! BAH!

Teams are still trying it.

Two things happened:

Norv started calling more quick passes.

And the play of the o-line improved. Vasquez (rookie) and Mruczkowski (first time starter) got better as the season went on. And now Hardwick is back, which is even better.

atomicbloke
01-07-2010, 05:54 PM
I have been on record for a long time stating that SD will win the super bowl this time.

I hate SD, I hate their fair weather bandwagon fans, but that doesn't change the fact that they have been a great team for several seasons, have had unlucky injuries and some unlucky bounces in the playoffs recently, and baring something similar will have a Lombardi in around 5 weeks.

Pontius Pirate
01-07-2010, 05:56 PM
How Marvin Lewis didn't get coach of the year is beyond me. He coaches the bengals to a playoff berth. THE BENGALS. Not to mention all the tragedy on that team - and the fact he turned Cedric Benson (CEDRIC BENSON!) into a star RB.

Look at the talent on the Chargers. Jim Zord could've coached that team to the playoffs.

Hogan11
01-07-2010, 06:05 PM
I have been on record for a long time stating that SD will win the super bowl this time.

I hate SD, I hate their fair weather bandwagon fans, but that doesn't change the fact that they have been a great team for several seasons, have had unlucky injuries and some unlucky bounces in the playoffs recently, and baring something similar will have a Lombardi in around 5 weeks.

I'm hoping the window will close on them soon

Los Broncos
01-07-2010, 06:10 PM
Congrats, but they better get to the big dance soon because the window will soon close.

I almost hope they win it this year so we wont have to hear anymore excuses.

On the radio they want more respect, they want to know why they are getting it.

How about winning it one time or two before that happens.

boltaneer
01-07-2010, 06:15 PM
Damn that window is sure stubborn! I've been hearing it should be closing for three years now! ;D

oubronco
01-07-2010, 06:17 PM

No Shyt we haven't fared so well lately

Los Broncos
01-07-2010, 06:18 PM
Damn that window is sure stubborn! I've been hearing it should be closing for three years now! ;D

They have time with the core they have now.

They just need to get pass the Colts.

snowspot66
01-07-2010, 06:53 PM
They have time with the core they have now.

They just need to get pass the Colts.

Too bad for them this is the best Colts team of the decade. They have a real, honest to God, solid defense. It's not just the Bob Sanders and Peyton Manning show.

DenverBrit
01-07-2010, 07:24 PM

Kind of like hearing how SD will win the SB the last three years. Ha!

If they don't get there this year, what will the excuse be this time??

Los Broncos
01-07-2010, 07:31 PM
Too bad for them this is the best Colts team of the decade. They have a real, honest to God, solid defense. It's not just the Bob Sanders and Peyton Manning show.

I think it comes down to San Diego's defensive line.

Injuries and all that, with the Colts offensive line, can they get to Manning?

I think that's what it really come down too.

Ziggy
01-07-2010, 07:42 PM

Yes, that team is vastly superior to ours in talent. If Shanahan had been there during Norv's term, they'd have a ring or 2 by now.

Dr.5280
01-07-2010, 08:01 PM
Yes, that team is vastly superior to ours in talent. If Shanahan had been there during Norv's term, they'd have a ring or 2 by now.

Slowik to the rescue.

broncosteven
01-07-2010, 08:12 PM
It wasn't that long ago when McDaniels had this locked up.

With Caldwell going 14-2 and Ryan in NY taking his team the playoffs there is no way McDaniels even has a shot at rookie HC of the year.

No Awards FOR YOU!

gunns
01-07-2010, 08:16 PM

He did not take them to the AFCC game last year.

He inherited Rivers, Tomlinson, Sproles, Jackson, Cromartie, Merriman, and Gates. He's never been known for developing his own team. His drafts so far have been unspectacular, except for probably Weddle (hell, yes, GO UTES). He's still operating off of Schotty's team, but Tomlinson is fading and soon Norv will have his own team. I lick my chops for then, but by then SD may have figured him out and booted him.

yavoon
01-07-2010, 08:24 PM

He inherited Rivers, Tomlinson, Sproles, Jackson, Cromartie, Merriman, and Gates. He's never been known for developing his own team. His drafts so far have been unspectacular, except for probably Weddle (hell, yes, GO UTES). He's still operating off of Schotty's team, but Tomlinson is fading and soon Norv will have his own team. I lick my chops for then, but by then SD may have figured him out and booted him.

don't they have a general manager?

ZONA
01-07-2010, 08:25 PM

Well, whenever it closes, there probably isn't going to be one of these behind it.........hahahaha.

http://valueacceleration.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/lombardi_trophy2.jpg

gunns
01-07-2010, 08:28 PM
don't they have a general manager?

Yes they do but Norv has to use them. I'm sure he had some input particularly on the offensive side.

mr007
01-07-2010, 08:38 PM
I don't like to admit it, but I have a very hard time believing anyone who says San Diego's window is closing. They have a young and talented team, how is their window closing? If anything they are a few pieces away from being even more dominant than they are now and unless their FO is completely retarded, will remain that way for a while...

frerottenextelway
01-07-2010, 08:39 PM
Why is San Diego so overrated every year?

Yet, their QB, that is by far the best player on their team, is so underrated every year (until maybe now)?

broncosteven
01-07-2010, 08:41 PM
I don't like to admit it, but I have a very hard time believing anyone who says San Diego's window is closing. They have a young and talented team, how is their window closing? If anything they are a few pieces away from being even more dominant than they are now and unless their FO is completely retarded, will remain that way for a while...

I think their Rushing offense is getting weaker as LT gets older, if they land a big back who can hit a hole during the draft that may not be the case. At any rate they don't have to worry about landing 8-10 guys like we need to this offseason.

frerottenextelway
01-07-2010, 08:48 PM
I think their Rushing offense is getting weaker as LT gets older, if they land a big back who can hit a hole during the draft that may not be the case. At any rate they don't have to worry about landing 8-10 guys like we need to this offseason.

Could you imagine if LT retires and Hillis finds his way there? :thumbsup:

yavoon
01-07-2010, 09:42 PM
Yes they do but Norv has to use them. I'm sure he had some input particularly on the offensive side.

I dont think a general manager is like a tooth brush. that may be how shanny thought of them but lotsa teams just have a plain old general manager.

Xenos
01-07-2010, 09:56 PM

So what you're saying is that Norv is like Shanahan then. I'll take a couple of Superbowl victories as well.

That being said, we've managed to get some pretty good lower round draft picks over the years, as well as udfa to step up. Guys like Brandon Siler, who Kaylore said would be a complete bust for a seventh rounder, has been incredible this year.

gunns
01-07-2010, 10:08 PM
So what you're saying is that Norv is like Shanahan then. I'll take a couple of Superbowl victories as well.

That being said, we've managed to get some pretty good lower round draft picks over the years, as well as udfa to step up. Guys like Brandon Siler, who Kaylore said would be a complete bust for a seventh rounder, has been incredible this year.

Basically, that's why he's gone, couldn't build his own team, although his free agent pickups early on were excellent. I don't see a couple of SB victories, but you can look at Norv as being as talented as Shanahan. I'll just laugh.

Xenos
01-07-2010, 10:34 PM
Basically, that's why he's gone, couldn't build his own team, although his free agent pickups early on were excellent. I don't see a couple of SB victories, but you can look at Norv as being as talented as Shanahan. I'll just laugh.
Well of course he isn't as good as Shanahan yet. He has to win those Superbowls as well. But at the moment, he has a much younger QB than Shanahan as well as a GM who has a nose for talent so he's got some good things going for him.

boltaneer
01-07-2010, 11:37 PM
AJ Smith's drafts have been fine. And while I'm sure Norv has some input, he sure ain't picking the players.

I don't think there is a team in the NFL that has more home grown players than the Chargers. The 53 man roster at the beginning of the season had 47 players that were drafted by the Chargers or were UDFA signings by the Chargers. Only Six players were either brought in by trade or were free agent signings.

That's unbelievable drafting IMO. The window ain't closing as long as AJ Smith keeps drafting like he does and as long as Rivers is at QB. Sorry to crush your dreams.

The Chargers just need to stay relatively healthy from here on out and they'll have an excellent chance of going all the way. The only teams that really concern me is Indy (I don't care if the Chargers have their number because the games always go down to the wire) and the Jets (They're totally playing with house money and they have the best defense in the playoffs).

400HZ
01-08-2010, 09:40 AM
This is one (slight) concern I have with the Chargers going into the playoffs because I did notice it against the Giants and Cowboys, where they went away from the run in a close game. People are used to the Chargers having a good run defense and a poor pass defense but this year it has flip-flopped. The secondary is playing about as good as I can remember in the past few years.

In general though, the Chargers often go up a couple of scores and force their opponents to become one dimensional. As long as their offense can keep putting up points, teams will have to go away from the run to keep up.

Norv totally deserves this award. People still have this perception of him as a failure because of his time in Washington and Oakland but to be honest, he really didn't have much of a chance to succeed in those places. Everyone who has followed in his footsteps in those locations haven't fared any better.

Even though he was taking over a 14-2 team, he still needed time to get his staff and players who fit what he wants to do. It took a couple of years, as it normally does and he's got the team performing like a well oiled machine.

The pressure that Phillip Rivers and the San Diego offense apply to other teams has dictated what those teams can do on many occasions this year. Plus the Chargers run defense has gotten much much better with the changes at middle linebacker.

Something to keep in mind about Norv's "failure" in Washington is that he had more success there than any of the other coaches that Dan Snyder has hired.

400HZ
01-08-2010, 09:46 AM
Bah! BAH!

It works well against two brand new interior linemen. Baltimore and Denver did it all game long.

Denver needs a new center, and if they were smart they would make a move for Chargers backup Scott Mruckowski. He was a fuggin' stud once he got some experience.

Tombstone RJ
01-08-2010, 09:49 AM
Live it up bolts fans, it won't be long before the Broncos are back on top.

boltaneer
01-08-2010, 09:57 AM
Something to keep in min about Norv's "failure" in Washington is that he had more success there than any of the other coaches that Dan Snyder has hired.

Norv is the winningest coach percentage-wise for the Chargers. Better than Marty, Bobby Ross, Coryell, Gillman, etc.

But clueless fans will still call him a loser and rip the Chargers when they give Norv an extension.

I ripped on Norv early on in his time here and even last year as well. But I am able to admit I was wrong about him. He clearly has control of the team and is the right man for the future.

chrisp
01-08-2010, 10:03 AM
I really, really think its about time we abandoned a couple of articles of faith that we broncos fans have clung too like a raft in stormy waters the past few years:

1) Norv Turner is clearly NOT a sucky coach despite indications to the contrary early in his SD career.

2) Phillip Rivers is - much as it (deeply) pains me to say it, probably the 2nd best QB in the AFC right now - maybe the entire league as I'd probably give him the nod over Dew Brees....

I'm also on the verge of changing my opinion on a major issue - I do think that the example of SD shows us that IF you have really good personnel guy (as SD clearly do) then it is best to let THAT guy have ultimate say on Personnel and NOT the head coach. I used to believe the opposite. The key qualification is, however, he has to be a really good personnel guy, and there are very few of those. If he's not, you may as well give the HC the veto....