PDA

View Full Version : Want to Help Fix the Offense, Start Here...

cmhargrove
01-07-2010, 10:27 AM
Last straw? Cribbs intends to walk out on Browns after low offer

NFL.com Wire Reports
Josh Cribbs believes it's "unlikely" that he will play another game for the Cleveland Browns. Insulted by the Browns' latest contract offer, Cribbs intends to clean out his locker, and one of his agents said the Pro Bowler will demand a trade.

"I'm hurt because I don't want to play for nobody else," Cribbs said Wednesday night. "But the way they're talking, they're leaving me no choice."

Cribbs was the Browns' most valuable player this season. He played wide receiver and quarterback, and he also returned and covered kickoffs and punts. He even set the NFL career record for most kickoff returns for touchdowns.

But agent Peter Schaffer said Wednesday that the Browns failed to live up to previous promises they made to Cribbs and offered him $1.4 million annually for six years, well below market value. Schaffer said there's "no more middle ground" and he's "extremely shocked" that new team president Mike Holmgren wouldn't understand Cribbs' value to the Browns.

"We're going to formally put in a request for a trade," J.R. Rickert, Cribbs' other agent, told NFL Network's Jason La Canfora. "He will not set foot in that facility again. If they had offered even something like $2.5 million per season, we could have worked with them, but to me, this offer is indefensible."

Rickert said Browns vice president of football administration Dawn Aponte, who handles contract negotiations, told him the offer was final and that Holmgren was in agreement with her.

"Dawn said this was it, this was their offer," Rickert said. "She said it would be 1.4 today, 1.4 in March and 1.4 in August."

Cribbs said last month that the team had promised to give him a new contract by the end of the season. Even in the days leading up to the Browns' season finale against the Jacksonville Jaguars last Sunday, Cribbs remained optimistic that something would get done.

Not anymore.

"I did all the playing I'm going to play on this contract," Cribbs said. "I ain't doing nothing. I'm not showing my face until it's right."

Rickert said he asked the team if it needed or wanted more time to consider things, especially with Holmgren just coming on the job, and that he told Aponte if she didn't change the offer or request more time to negotiate by 5 p.m. Wednesday, he would take the unusual tactic of making the offer public.

"I didn't feel like we had any other choice than to let the Browns fans know exactly what was going on," Rickert said, "and let them know why Josh was preparing to leave."

Said Schaffer: "I'm extremely shocked. I have tremendous respect for Mike Holmgren. I know he knows how to put a team together. I was optimistic that with him coming aboard that he would understand and that Josh would be rewarded. To see there is no change in their position is insulting."

Holmgren said Tuesday that he had contact with Cribbs' representatives when he was at home in Arizona. Holmgren intimated that he planned to take care of Cribbs but only after fair negotiations.

"I believe players should be rewarded for what they do," Holmgren said. "I have no problems with that at all. What happens, though, on occasion is our view of how much that should be and the agent's view of how much that should be differs. We have made an effort.

"We will continue to make an effort to handle Josh's situation. I want Josh here."

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

TheDave
01-07-2010, 10:31 AM
Marshall for cribbs and a pick?

Florida_Bronco
01-07-2010, 10:36 AM
I don't know how this would fix the offense seeing as how Cribbs has never been much of a receiving threat.

oubronco
01-07-2010, 10:38 AM
lowballing a player seems like the "IN" thing to do these days and very rarely ends well

kamakazi_kal
01-07-2010, 10:40 AM
accept for the fact Cribbs is not a proven WR like Marshall

Cribbs is a speedster WR ..... how do you hit a speed WR downfield if 3yds is the longest pattern.

amazing how those new england coaches deal with their players ehh. Well at least the ones who want to get paid for production.

rastaman
01-07-2010, 10:43 AM
lowballing a player seems like the "IN" thing to do these days and very rarely ends well

The only position that doesn't get low balled is the QB position.

gtown
01-07-2010, 10:48 AM
I would do a trade involving Marshall and Cribbs. Cribbs "is" the Cleveland Browns offense and special teams. He can learn the receiver position and their is this draft, which might yield some gems.

It would be nice to stick Marshall in a city like Cleveland.

Jason in LA
01-07-2010, 10:48 AM
I wouldn't give Cribbs a big time contract. He is amazing at certain things, so I think he had value, but as far as an every down player, he's limited. Even though he's limited, $1.4 million for what he brings is insulting. He can really help a team win a game with a hand full of plays. Didn't help the Browns much, because they flat out suck, but he could help a good team be even better. $2.5 million doesn't seem like too much for what he brings. Hell, there are players who don't do as much as him that make more than $2.5 million.

Traveler
01-07-2010, 10:51 AM
Cribbs=Hester. Great return men, nothing more.

PRBronco
01-07-2010, 10:51 AM
Yeah I haven't been terribly impressed with Cribbs' moonlighting at receiver, so he wouldn't fix anyone's offense. That being said he's the best damn returner in the league, I could definitely find a roster spot for him. The only thing I dont' like about him is that it seems like he's been publicly pissing and moaning about his contract for years.

kamakazi_kal
01-07-2010, 10:52 AM
I would do a trade involving Marshall and Cribbs. Cribbs "is" the Cleveland Browns offense and special teams. He can learn the receiver position and their is this draft, which might yield some gems.

It would be nice to stick Marshall in a city like Cleveland.

The sounds an awful lot like the Hester experiment. Cribbs is no Marshall.

gtown
01-07-2010, 10:55 AM
The sounds an awful lot like the Hester experiment. Cribbs is no Marshall.

That maybe how it plays out. But if we don't fix the run game, we are just shuffling deck chairs on the titanic.

ColoradoDarin
01-07-2010, 10:57 AM
If the Browns want to throw their 1st + Cribbs for Marshall, I wouldn't be opposed to that. Cribbs only wants $2.5M? Seriously?? Sign us up!

Rabb
01-07-2010, 11:00 AM
If the Browns want to throw their 1st + Cribbs for Marshall, I wouldn't be opposed to that. Cribbs only wants $2.5M? Seriously?? Sign us up!

the guy is better than Hester also IMO, he is an amazing return man who has a far bigger upside at WR than Hester

BigPlayShay
01-07-2010, 11:02 AM
Cribbs=Hester. Great return men, nothing more.

Does pretty damn well in the wildcat. He is a run threat, can catch the ball, and if you are giving up Marshall then you obviously need to inject some sort of spark or wrinkle into the offense.

I would not be opposed at all to a 1 + Cribbs for Marshall.

Dagmar
01-07-2010, 11:03 AM
I thought he moved to RB during the season? I may be thinking of someone else.

edit. no they were talking about it mid-December but nothing seems to have happened...

Cribbs/Moreno though! Boom!

Dagmar
01-07-2010, 11:05 AM
Does pretty damn well in the wildcat. He is a run threat, can catch the ball, and if you are giving up Marshall then you obviously need to inject some sort of spark or wrinkle into the offense.

I would not be opposed at all to a 1 + Cribbs for Marshall.

Would he make a good wildhorse though :wiggle: ?

SonOfLe-loLang
01-07-2010, 11:13 AM
Key to the offense? Improve the line. When the line was playing well, we were winning games. Its simple. Good football teams have great lines.

Rabb
01-07-2010, 11:13 AM
Key to the offense? Improve the line. When the line was playing well, we were winning games. Its simple. Good football teams have great lines.

absolutely agree

missingnumber7
01-07-2010, 11:15 AM
Cribbs isn't a reciever, hes an amazing return guy and is ok at the wild cat/horse/dog/tomfoolery...But when you look at it in the long run we have Royal who is a consistent return man and decent receiver. Do we need Cribbs no, might he take some pressure off of Royal, yes, and in the long run maybe we can turn Cribbs into a slight down the field type threat possibly. Do we want to pay the money he wants for that...definately not.

gyldenlove
01-07-2010, 11:16 AM
Holmgren isn't stupid, he knows what happens to guy like Mathis, Cribbs, Hester and Dante Hall, they slow down or suffer a big injury sooner rather than later and people start planning for them which takes them out of the game. No reason to pay a guy who will never be a major offensive weapon like a guy who is a major offensive weapon, especially with the CBA still very much in limbo.

I would love Cribbs on a short deal with decent money, but he is not someone you can give a 20 million deal over 4 years to without getting your behind burned.

ColoradoDarin
01-07-2010, 11:18 AM
Holmgren isn't stupid, he knows what happens to guy like Mathis, Cribbs, Hester and Dante Hall, they slow down or suffer a big injury sooner rather than later and people start planning for them which takes them out of the game. No reason to pay a guy who will never be a major offensive weapon like a guy who is a major offensive weapon, especially with the CBA still very much in limbo.

I would love Cribbs on a short deal with decent money, but he is not someone you can give a 20 million deal over 4 years to without getting your behind burned.

He's only asking for $2.5 million a year, what about 4 years / $10M?

Rulon Velvet Jones
01-07-2010, 11:19 AM
Hell, there are players who don't do as much as him that make more than $2.5 million.

Chris Simms to the red courtesy phone, please. Chris Simms to the red courtesy phone.

cmhargrove
01-07-2010, 11:20 AM
Chris Simms to the red courtesy phone, please. Chris Simms to the red courtesy phone.

Oh no you di - ent...

ColoradoDarin
01-07-2010, 11:20 AM

Wasn't that also what we spent on Koutivedes (however you spell it, I'm not going to look it up)?

Beantown Bronco
01-07-2010, 11:23 AM
One thing people seem to be forgetting: whatever advantage a guy like Cribbs gets you is somewhat negated in Denver. 90% of the kickoffs and punts in Denver are either going for touchbacks or fair catches.

cmhargrove
01-07-2010, 11:23 AM
My point is that Cribbs is an unselfish game-changer. He just makes plays regardless of how they were drawn up. He has the "it" you just can't coach.

I think we also saw that Royal just won't be able to be an effective returner/receiver for his entire career. IMO, We should make the decision to keep him healthy as a receiver. Make him the uber-Welker, and let someone else return kicks. Especially if we get rid of Marshall, we will need Royal as a healthy possession receiver even more.

NFLBRONCO
01-07-2010, 11:26 AM
NE might enter BM Sweepstakes they have a #1 and 3 2's. They took on Moss they could easily handle BM plus they win alot. BM was happy here at 6-0.

go_broncos
01-07-2010, 11:27 AM
As long as Orton is our QB with Mcd's playcalling, there are no ways to fix the offense.

TonyR
01-07-2010, 11:27 AM
...amazing how those new england coaches deal with their players ehh.

Just want to make sure you're aware that Mike Holmgren is now calling the shots in Cleveland, not Mangini.

missingnumber7
01-07-2010, 11:28 AM
NE might enter BM Sweepstakes they have a #1 and 3 2's. They took on Moss they could easily handle BM plus they win alot. BM was happy here at 6-0.

BM ain't gonna sign anywhere he can't be the #1.

Drek
01-07-2010, 11:29 AM
accept for the fact Cribbs is not a proven WR like Marshall

Cribbs is a speedster WR ..... how do you hit a speed WR downfield if 3yds is the longest pattern.

amazing how those new england coaches deal with their players ehh. Well at least the ones who want to get paid for production.

Mangini is a nobody there now. Holmgren has been running the show since a few weeks ago.

Try to keep up.

Rulon Velvet Jones
01-07-2010, 11:30 AM
#7 pick (Joe Haden, Sam Bradford or Derrick Morgan) and Josh Cribbs, maybe a 5th too?

for the opportunity to bury Marshall in Cleveland for a few years?

And still be able to grab Rolando McClain at #10 or 11?

Yes and yes.

Beantown Bronco
01-07-2010, 11:33 AM
BM ain't gonna sign anywhere he can't be the #1.

Please. If it's up to him, he'll sign with whoever gives him the most money. That is literally the only variable he cares about.

Elway777
01-07-2010, 11:37 AM
Marshall for cribbs and a pick? What about Cribbs and Corey Williams plus Cleveland 2 rounder for Marshall. I sure Cleveland would love to unload Corey Williams contract.

Elway777
01-07-2010, 11:40 AM
He's only asking for $2.5 million a year, what about 4 years / $10M? I would give him a 5 year 18 million dollars. He is worth it.

PRBronco
01-07-2010, 11:51 AM
Why does Eddie Royal keep getting compared to Welker? Aside from being not tall, I just don't see it. Welker has a sick ability to always get open, Eddie looked like he played this season in a dry cleaning bag.

Crushaholic
01-07-2010, 12:12 PM
We need game changers on offense. Cribbs is a game changer. Is the return game the only thing we need to fix? Absolutely not, but it's a start. We haven't had a legit return threat for many, many years...

Popps
01-07-2010, 12:19 PM

Oh god, yes.

Cribbs handled his contract situation like a total pro this past year. Didn't say a peep. Cleveland's offer is a ****ing joke.

I'd take that dude in a heartbeat.

missingnumber7
01-07-2010, 12:46 PM
Please. If it's up to him, he'll sign with whoever gives him the most money. That is literally the only variable he cares about.

And the only way he's gonna get the money he wants is to be a #1.

gtown
01-07-2010, 12:47 PM
#7 pick (Joe Haden, Sam Bradford or Derrick Morgan) and Josh Cribbs, maybe a 5th too?

for the opportunity to bury Marshall in Cleveland for a few years?

And still be able to grab Rolando McClain at #10 or 11?

Yes and yes.

Hilarious! The football gods don't like Denver that much.

Broncoman13
01-07-2010, 01:28 PM

Exactly what I was going to say on this thread.

A swap of #1s (our #10/11 for their #7) plus their 2nd, #38 for Brandon Marshall.

That is a jump in the 1st of 3 or 4 picks, gives us a better shot at a guy like Rolando McClain or Dez Bryat and an outside shot at guys like Sam Bradford, Eric Berry, or Jimmy Clausen (if Bradford goes ahead of him).

In the 2nd, there are a few guys you can expect to drop to #38. Middle LBs often drop, so it wouldn't be surprising if Spikes falls maybe even to our own pick at 45. You also have guys like Carlos Dunlap (nice fit at DE), Golden Tate (to replace BMarsh's production in part), Arrelious Benn (to replace BMarsh's production in part). You could even see a guy like Terrence Cody fall (like Brace last year) as well as Taylor Mays (remember William Moore's drop?), or Mike Iupati which would really address the LG position in a major way.

Problem with this is not the compensation in the trade but rather the compensation to the player(s). Nobody is giving out contracts right now. Too much uncertainty. To the point of teams look as though they are colluding in not signing players to long term contracts. 211 players that are RFAs. My guess is that not many of those guys are going to receive contract offers beyond the one year tenders they receive from their current teams. Besides all of that, do you think that Brandon Marshall is going to jump at an offer from the Browns? The only way we control the compensation (without a sign and trade) is if BMarsh receives and is willing to accept a contract offer from another club. Then it is our option to match, demand the 1st and 3rd (assuming we tender him as such) or negotiate other compensation once BMarsh has accepted their offer. All of this is doubtful IMO, but it is fun to speculate and the deal would likely work out for both clubs... allowing the Browns to keep a high #1 pick and gain a WR of Marshall's caliber.

Florida_Bronco
01-07-2010, 01:30 PM
Exactly what I was going to say on this thread.

A swap of #1s (our #10/11 for their #7) plus their 2nd, #38 for Brandon Marshall.

That is a jump in the 1st of 3 or 4 picks, gives us a better shot at a guy like Rolando McClain or Dez Bryat and an outside shot at guys like Sam Bradford, Eric Berry, or Jimmy Clausen (if Bradford goes ahead of him).

In the 2nd, there are a few guys you can expect to drop to #38. Middle LBs often drop, so it wouldn't be surprising if Spikes falls maybe even to our own pick at 45. You also have guys like Carlos Dunlap (nice fit at DE), Golden Tate (to replace BMarsh's production in part), Arrelious Benn (to replace BMarsh's production in part). You could even see a guy like Terrence Cody fall (like Brace last year) as well as Taylor Mays (remember William Moore's drop?), or Mike Iupati which would really address the LG position in a major way.

Problem with this is not the compensation in the trade but rather the compensation to the player(s). Nobody is giving out contracts right now. Too much uncertainty. To the point of teams look as though they are colluding in not signing players to long term contracts. 211 players that are RFAs. My guess is that not many of those guys are going to receive contract offers beyond the one year tenders they receive from their current teams. Besides all of that, do you think that Brandon Marshall is going to jump at an offer from the Browns? The only way we control the compensation (without a sign and trade) is if BMarsh receives and is willing to accept a contract offer from another club. Then it is our option to match, demand the 1st and 3rd (assuming we tender him as such) or negotiate other compensation once BMarsh has accepted their offer. All of this is doubtful IMO, but it is fun to speculate and the deal would likely work out for both clubs... allowing the Browns to keep a high #1 pick and gain a WR of Marshall's caliber.

I would be happy with this.

gyldenlove
01-07-2010, 01:41 PM
Oh god, yes.

Cribbs handled his contract situation like a total pro this past year. Didn't say a peep. Cleveland's offer is a ****ing joke.

And next year when his legs fall off and you are stuck paying him 3 mill a year for 5 years?

Rabb
01-07-2010, 01:45 PM
And next year when his legs fall off and you are stuck paying him 3 mill a year for 5 years?

opposed to paying a guy that might get arrested next year again?

I mean, as long as we are playing "what if's"

Beantown Bronco
01-07-2010, 01:48 PM

Call me when the NFL starts guaranteeing entire contracts.

Broncoman13
01-07-2010, 02:03 PM

Joshua Cribbs is more Brian Mitchell than he is Devin Hester or Danta Hall. He's going to be around for a long time. Besides, there have been quite a few guys that have been excellent return men throughout their careers. Look at Rossum.

SonOfLe-loLang
01-07-2010, 03:55 PM
Call me when the NFL starts guaranteeing entire contracts.

some kickers get em:)

SportinOne
01-07-2010, 05:11 PM
Royal is NOT a good return man. He has had one good game as a returner and is consistently bad.

gyldenlove
01-07-2010, 05:20 PM
Oh god, yes.

Total pro, a good thing he hasn't said he is not coming back to Cleveland or said good buy to the staff or anything like that.

gyldenlove
01-07-2010, 05:31 PM
Joshua Cribbs is more Brian Mitchell than he is Devin Hester or Danta Hall. He's going to be around for a long time. Besides, there have been quite a few guys that have been excellent return men throughout their careers. Look at Rossum.

Rossum has 4 seasons with kick return average better than Royals worst season and 0 seasons with kick return average better than Royals best season.

Rossum has 4 seasons with double digit punt return average, Royal has 2.

Rossum has 8 total return TDs, Royal has 2.

Rossum also has a lot more fumbles than Royal.

Rossum was a decent returner at best when he was at his best.

None of the top returners in the last 10 years have had more than a few great seasons and Cribbs has already has 2.

broncos-rock
01-07-2010, 07:09 PM
Total pro, a good thing he hasn't said he is not coming back to Cleveland or said good buy to the staff or anything like that.

Cribbs says farewell, "It's over" in Cleveland
Posted by Michael David Smith on January 7, 2010 5:41 PM ET
Browns wide receiver and return man Josh Cribbs says he's finished in Cleveland.

"I said good-bye to some people on the medical staff, some of the equipment guys and the coaches,'' Cribbs told the Cleveland Plain Dealer today. "I wished the coaches luck and told them I hoped they kept their job. But it absolutely felt like the last time I'd be setting foot inside the building. I feel like it's over for me in Cleveland.''

Cribbs, who previously said he doesn't think he fits in new front office boss Mike Holmgren's plans, said he expects Holmgren to trade him during the off-season.

"There's no way I'll play another down for the Browns without the new contract,'' he said. "They won't let me sit, because I have value. They'd be forced to trade me.''

Cribbs said Holmgren made the right call in retaining Browns coach Eric Mangini, but he thinks Holmgren has insulted him by giving him a $1.4 million a year offer that suggests the Browns see him as strictly a special teams player, and not a threat on offense.

"I'm not just insulted by the number, but by the fact they consider me just a kick returner," Cribbs said. "I'm so much more than that. . . . I'm shocked they make me an offer like that after all I've done for this team."

In addition to being a Pro Bowl returner, Cribbs caught 20 passes for 135 yards and ran 55 times for 381 yards this season.

Conklin
01-07-2010, 07:21 PM
he never states he'd take 2.5 mil a year, he said that an offer of 2.5 mil would be something he would negotiate from

Elway777
01-08-2010, 12:34 AM
Just get Cribbs on the team . Special teams is one third of the game and Cribbs is the best in the business.

colonelbeef
01-08-2010, 06:09 AM
Hell no, we already have an underutilized talent in Royal on the team

fontaine
01-08-2010, 06:22 AM
How is trading Marshall going to improve this offense? So far our passing game is comletely relient on having that big possession receiver that can catch a 5 yard pass and turn it into a first down and more. No other WR has shown he can do that consistently in our team.

Trading Marshall would be stupid in so many ways.

DivineLegion
01-08-2010, 06:39 AM
Dwayne Harris is a Josh Cribbs clone coming out of ECU next year, and he can actually play WR.

Over 2100 all purpose yards, 7 TD Receptions, 3 Kick return TDs, and 5 Rushing touchdowns this season 09'.