PDA

View Full Version : Woody's Mailbag: After the fall

oubronco
01-07-2010, 07:15 AM
Hi, Woody - After watching today's horrible game vs. Kansas City: What is going on in my favorite sports city? The Broncos had two of their best players benched by the coach. Isn't it time that "pretty boy" Pat Bowlen admits he made a bad decision and gets rid of "man-child" Josh McDaniels? The game was a terrible performance by the Broncos! -- Billy Bates, Laughlin, Nev.

Billy: I think I gambled at your place in Laughlin. Bates Motel, right? We need humor, since there will be no playoffs for the Broncos.

First, emphatically, Pat Bowlen will not fire Josh McDaniels. McDaniels has a three-year contract, and I'm certain he'll get that much time. Bowlen doesn't want to pay another coach not to coach, and, truthfully, the CEO, Joe Ellis, not Bowlen, made the choice of Josh McDaniels, and Bowlen signed off on it.

You and I must wonder about all those New England assistants getting head coaching jobs. Charlie Weis failed. Eric Mangini has failed in two places. It might be more about the coach and the quarterback and the organization rather than the assistant coaches, you think?

What I was most amazed about in the game Sunday was that the Broncos just laid down. If these guys believed in McDaniels and his decision to bench Brandon Marshall and Tony Scheffler, then they should have stepped up. Those games against Oakland and K.C. were two of the flattest performances in Broncos history.
You have to go way back to the final game of last season — which wasn't that far back, I guess — but that game was on the road and against a very good team. The Raiders and the Chiefs are awful, and those games were here.

I wrote that the Broncos players and coaches were quitters, and an e-mailer pointed out to me I should have included the fans, too. There were probably 10,000 (not the 4,000 announced) no-shows for a game that had serious playoff implications, and it wasn't that nasty a day. People don't care as much, and McDaniels, honestly, doesn't seem to care whether they care.

He still doesn't get Denver, and the Broncos history, and how loyal people have been. I thought Red Miller and Mike Shanahan really got it. They understood the Broncos' history. Both had coached here before as assistants. Dan Reeves didn't understand for quite a while. He was a Cowboys guy. That's why when he got here he had the Broncos wearing white jerseys at home (like the Cowboys).

McDaniels brings that same outside philosophy here. He stuck that hoodie right in our faces. If he's his own man, why didn't he wear his own jacket or sweater or something other than a hoodie? That's no big deal in and of itself, but he sent a very bad message.

As I wrote, other teams figured out the Broncos' limitations, including the lousy offensive game-planning, midway through the season, and the Broncos became what I thought they'd be before the season. They could have easily lost two more games.
Maybe Josh will get some humility and a new playbook now, or he won't last longer than three years. Then he and his hoodie can check into the Bates Motel.

Woodrow, in this week's episode of "What Would Coach Josh Do?" the scenario is as follows: Terrell Davis informs the fist-pumping hooded one that he has debilitating migraine headaches. Coach responds by: 1) publicly questioning his toughness and loyalty since the MRI shows nothing; 2) demotes him to the scout team; 3) releases him and picks up a waivered New England running back; 4) puts him in an electrical closet; 5) blames the offensive line for not being a power blocking unit and then drafts a small, fumble-prone speed back to run between the tackles especially in short-yardage situations with eight defenders in the box; or 6) something else. Am I missing something?

-- Anthony Vallejos, Los Alamos, N.M.

Anthony: We're all missing something, especially the Broncos. McDaniels did state in the press conference Monday that there was more to the Marshall deal than we knew. Well, we knew he questioned Marshall's hamstring injury.

Here's the difference between McDaniels and Shanahan. When Brandon was kind of faking it a couple of years ago in training camp and claiming he had a hamstring problem, Shanahan went to him to get on the field. Marshall did the next day.

I do remember the Terrell Davis situation in the Super Bowl against Green Bay when Davis had told the trainer he forgot to take his migraine medication and was having serious issues with his vision. Shanahan called him over and said: "I don't need you to go in and run the ball. You go in, and we'll fake it to you." Davis went right in. No questions asked.

The Broncos faked the handoff to Davis and scored. The Packers really thought Davis would get the ball in that situation near the goal. You must wonder if Knowshon Moreno had a migraine, McDaniels would have asked (told) him to go back in and run on fourth-and-one.

I'm still not impressed with Moreno. As I wrote, he's not a one-cut back, which is what the Broncos had for years and years in thousand-yard runners, and he's not quick to the hole. The hole either is not there or closes very fast, and Moreno gets trapped with nowhere to go.

Moreno, as you noticed, never ran wide sweeps because he can't get to the corner, so the Broncos threw those dinky passes to him to try to get him some room. I hated those bubble screens to Marshall and Moreno. I'd rather throw to the Balloon Boy parents.

Hi Woody! Brandon Marshall and Tony Scheffler were both benched for the season's final game, essentially for putting themselves above the team. While I love the "team-first" concept, is it just a pie-in-the-sky fantasy in today's world of multi-million dollar contracts and endorsements?
-- Ronnie, Glenwood Springs

Ronnie: Truth is, the players play for themselves, not the team. I've certainly seen the changes from when I started doing this 40 years ago. It was all about the team. Now, it's all about me, me, me.

I had two uncles who worked on the Ford Motor Co. assembly line, and they busted butts, and if they let down building a car, it affected the other employees, the company (see where it is now) and, of course, those who bought cars.

The players don't care about fans or their teammates or the coaches. They care about the cash. That's true in all professional team sports. The only solution is to get rid of long-term contracts and personal incentive clauses.

Let's say you negotiate with Brandon Marshall. He gets a $2 million salary. He gets $2 million if the team goes to the playoffs, $2 million if it wins the AFC Championship, $5 million more if the Broncos win the Super Bowl. Now you've got a guy playing for the team.

Truthfully, I didn't think Scheffler was a bad attitude guy. He just voiced what a lot of other players were thinking, and McDaniels never liked him from the beginning — and wanted to get rid of him when Jay Cutler left.

What do you see the Broncos doing with their restricted free agents in the offseason? With how the end of the season played out, I don't see Brandon Marshall or Tony Scheffler returning to the team. Will the Broncos make qualifying offers to them, work out trades or just let them go? How about the other RFAs on the team? At this point, I think the Broncos would do pretty well to get a first- and third-round pick for Marshall and build through the draft.
-- Richard, Eagle River, Alaska

Richard: It's a crap-shoot really. Because there is no collective bargaining agreement, the Broncos can't do anything until that issue is resolved. And here's what I believe — based on personal opinion and the word I get from the NFL higher-ups I know.

The owners will not settle the CBA in the off-season, and all those restricted free agents will be going nowhere. In the case, specifically, of Marshall and Scheffler, they're history here, and will be traded, I think, in March.

And I think they'll rejoin one of two people — Shanahan in Washington or Cutler in Chicago. How about this one? The two of them for Devin Hester and Tommy Harris, and the Broncos give back the No. 1 draft pick. I know. It won't happen, and probably shouldn't.

But I said on ESPN several days ago the Bears should get Jeremy Bates (there's that Bates Motel again) as the offensive coordinator. Cutler threw for 4,500 yards and 25 touchdowns with Bates as his position coach, and made the Pro Bowl. They came into the league together, and feel comfortable with each other. The firing of Bates by McDaniels really led to the trade more than anything else.

The Broncos will not get a first and a third for Marshall. Other NFL teams know he won't be back here, and they know he can be trouble. I would guess they may get a second rounder, at best, and probably a provisional draft pick, based on what he does elsewhere.

Scheffler won't bring much. Brandon Stokley is probably gone, too. I would guess of the 20-odd Shanahan holdovers, the over-under is nine on how many will be here next there. McDaniels, I believe, will get rid of most of them (not Elvis Dumervil, D.J. Williams, Ryan Clady or Champ Bailey).

Good-bye Peyton Hillis. McDaniels doesn't even want to talk about him any more. The Broncos can't build solely through the draft. They need quick fixes on the offensive and defensive lines, at wide receiver and at fullback and backup linebacker (Spencer Larsen is outta here, too). But like most teams, the Broncos will be limited until the CBA mess is straightened out.

Read more: http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_14137003#ixzz0bwK9s0MR

Denver724
01-07-2010, 07:21 AM
So what are the odds of us moving Marshall for a 2nd? Do we move him or hold out for a 1st?

broncofan7
01-07-2010, 07:22 AM
OUCH--Woody is such a hater! Why doesn't he go cover the REDSKINS! :rofl:

OPEN YOUR EYES FANBOYS..........

broncofan7
01-07-2010, 07:23 AM
So what are the odds of us moving Marshall for a 2nd? Do we move him or hold out for a 1st?

he's a RFA--we tender him at a 1st and a third rounder---teams can sign him--but they have to ante up........that's the starting price 1st & a 3rd.......

fontaine
01-07-2010, 07:38 AM
Trading Marshall for a 2nd round pick would be a worse idea than the Jags coach who brought an axe into the locker room to instill a "keep chopping wood" workmen like spirit.

A few days later sure enough a player ends up on IR after shredding his leg fooling around with the axe.

You build up a team by getting rid of it's weakest players, not the ones that account for a dozen TDs and 1000 yards every season.

ColoradoDarin
01-07-2010, 07:43 AM
Woody should have loved this season, we won more than twice as many games as he predicted.

Also, it's a pet peeve that people don't remove the picture captions when quoting an article...

The Joker
01-07-2010, 07:50 AM
I don't see why Larsen will be going anywhere?

Good ST guy, decent backup middle linebacker, solid lead blocker too.

I expect we'll look to invest in a pure blocking FB over the offseason, but even still you can never have too much depth and Larsen woulod be a fine backup. So he has use in all phases of the game.

So he's cheap, versatile and by all accounts is a great team guy... why the hell would you cut him loose?

MplsBronco
01-07-2010, 07:54 AM
What a bunch of crap that article is. Especially the part about the loss to end last year to a good SD club. Yep, the best 7-8 team ever!

broncofan7
01-07-2010, 08:01 AM
What a bunch of crap that article is. Especially the part about the loss to end last year to a good SD club. Yep, the best 7-8 team ever!

who THEN beat the Colts and made the second round of the playoffs.....and who the year before was in the AFCCG..........they have a pedigree--now we have McGENIUS.

MplsBronco
01-07-2010, 08:05 AM
who THEN beat the Colts and made the second round of the playoffs.....and who the year before was in the AFCCG..........they have a pedigree--now we have McGENIUS.

Honest to God, I don't know what your problem is but this team had serious issues when Shanny left. I get that you choose to focus on just the last 10 games and ignore the first 6. But that fact is this is an 8-8 team. We have a long way to go, that much we agree on. But why can't you give McD time to transform this team and judge his entire body of work? Your act is pathetic but I know you've heard that before.

broncofan7
01-07-2010, 08:08 AM
Honest to God, I don't know what your problem is but this team had serious issues when Shanny left. I get that you choose to focus on just the last 10 games and ignore the first 6. But that fact is this is an 8-8 team. We have a long way to go, that much we agree on. But why can't you give McD time to transform this team and judge his entire body of work? Your act is pathetic but I know you've heard that before.

only once, when I was 16. It was my 1st time.........

MplsBronco
01-07-2010, 08:11 AM
only once, when I was 16. It was my 1st time.........

And probably your last. If not, there are some sad chicks out there. What, your 9 incher wasn't enough?

broncofan7
01-07-2010, 08:19 AM
And probably your last. If not, there are some sad chicks out there. What, your 9 incher wasn't enough?

My reputation preceeds me...all the way to Minneapolis! Hilarious!

go_broncos
01-07-2010, 08:23 AM
Mcd sucks...I hate his playcalling.
He will get fired after 2010.

gyldenlove
01-07-2010, 08:29 AM

I expect we'll look to invest in a pure blocking FB over the offseason, but even still you can never have too much depth and Larsen woulod be a fine backup. So he has use in all phases of the game.

So he's cheap, versatile and by all accounts is a great team guy... why the hell would you cut him loose?

Larsen won't be gone, he is a bit of a favourite among some of the coaching staff for his versality, character and football intelligence.

vancejohnson82
01-07-2010, 08:31 AM
OUCH--Woody is such a hater! Why doesn't he go cover the REDSKINS! :rofl:

OPEN YOUR EYES FANBOYS..........

dude...since you are a new fan, and a convert from the Iggles bandwagon, I will let you in on a little secret

Woody Paige is a joke....

broncofan7
01-07-2010, 08:33 AM
dude...since you are a new fan, and a convert from the Iggles bandwagon, I will let you in on a little secret

Woody Paige is a joke....

but he's on TV!?!?!?!? ;)

PS--and believe me--if I wasn't a true Bronco fan--why would I stick with Denver over this decade when the iggles have clearly been more succesful.......nice try--I got out of that cesspool of an area...why can't you?

TheDave
01-07-2010, 08:47 AM
The Broncos will not get a first and a third for Marshall. Other NFL teams know he won't be back here, and they know he can be trouble. I would guess they may get a second rounder, at best, and probably a provisional draft pick, based on what he does elsewhere

That's exactly what I've been afraid of... everyone knows McD and BM can't co-exist so they will just waite it out.

broncofan7
01-07-2010, 08:53 AM
That's exactly what I've been afraid of... everyone knows McD and BM can't co-exist so they will just waite it out.

that would make me sick--kinda like if we traded our qb Jay Cu.....oh...

PRBronco
01-07-2010, 08:57 AM

Hey you're like the new wolf eh? Your extremist, unabomber-esque rants are just like his old ones against Shanny!

broncofan7
01-07-2010, 09:00 AM
Hey you're like the new wolf eh? Your extremist, unabomber-esque rants are just like his old ones against Shanny!

who?

DO I think McDaniels is a cancer to my favorite sports team YES. Do I want him gone--yesterday YES

DO I want him tinkering with our roster any more? NO

How'd he and Xanders do with that pair of 1st round picks this year? Oh and Fonzie starts for us no?

bronco610
01-07-2010, 11:11 AM

Thats kind of what I was thinking!!!

DenverBrit
01-07-2010, 11:36 AM

Teams will be competing against each other for BM and that should maintain the asking 'price.'

During the Cutler meltdown, there were many fans and talking heads telling us that the Broncos had lost leverage because McD couldn't co-exist with Cutler.

If the Broncos choose to trade Marshall, I think they'll get value in return.

I'd rather trade for at least one playmaker from another team instead of a high draft pick.

PRBronco
01-07-2010, 11:45 AM
Teams will be competing against each other for BM and that should maintain the asking 'price.'

During the Cutler meltdown, there were many fans and talking heads telling us that the Broncos had lost leverage because McD couldn't co-exist with Cutler.

If the Broncos choose to trade Marshall, I think they'll get value in return.

I'd rather trade for at least one playmaker from another team instead of a high draft pick.

I dunno about his claim that they've proven they can't coexist. Both are saying all the right things right now, this could be playing out much worse.

I agree with regarding trading for a veteran over draft picks. Getting a few extra picks is nice, you DO build a winner through the draft, but you don't build a winner with all rookies ffs. Trust me, I tried it on Madden.

Popps
01-07-2010, 11:52 AM
Any time a writer basis a large portion of his analysis of a coach on what kind of a shirt he wears... I think you can rest assured you're reading the highest quality sports journalism available.

I wonder if it was Chris Simms' shirt-choice that made Woody guarantee us fans that he would be a great option as a starting QB for us?

DenverBrit
01-07-2010, 11:54 AM
I dunno about his claim that they've proven they can't coexist. Both are saying all the right things right now, this could be playing out much worse.

I agree with regarding trading for a veteran over draft picks. Getting a few extra picks is nice, you DO build a winner through the draft, but you don't build a winner with all rookies ffs. Trust me, I tried it on Madden.

Not my claim but I'm not fooled by BM's rhetoric either.

Marshall wants a big payday and will say whatever he needs to in order to reach his goal.

Will he be another Javon and go off the rails as soon as he gets his big bucks?

I bet Bowlen is wondering.

broncosteven
01-07-2010, 11:58 AM
You build up a team by getting rid of it's weakest players, not the ones that account for a dozen TDs and 1000 yards every season.

What a concept. Too bad young McD hasn't learned it yet.

I don't see how he can dump all of Shanny's guys and replace them with like or better players in one year and do better than 8-8.

Marshall alone won at least 2 games.

I am concerned that we will be looking up at both KFC and SD next year.

Beantown Bronco
01-07-2010, 12:02 PM

Not this year.

Popps
01-07-2010, 12:52 PM

I don't see how he can dump all of Shanny's guys and replace them with like or better players in one year and do better than 8-8.

"Dump all of Shanahan's guys?"

Really? He's going to dump Doom, Clady, Champ, DJ, Larsen, Woodyard, Kuper, etc?

Could have sworn all of those guys had regular gigs this year without any distractions.

Weird. Maybe I missed the news about him "hating" Champ Bailey like he "hates" Peyton Hillis.

jmz313
01-07-2010, 12:54 PM

I am concerned that we will be looking up at both KFC and SD next year.

just as likely we'll be looking up at Oakland too. that 6-0 start in hindsight wasnt good for McD. if we started 3-3 more people would be happier with the season I bet. He proved this team could win. Then imploded.

I'd bet this team improves next year. Ignoring the BM situation, there are some big improvment that need done, weather we made playoffs or not.

oubronco
01-07-2010, 01:07 PM

Really? He's going to dump Doom, Clady, Champ, DJ, Larsen, Woodyard, Kuper, etc?

Could have sworn all of those guys had regular gigs this year without any distractions.

Weird. Maybe I missed the news about him "hating" Champ Bailey like he "hates" Peyton Hillis.

No he was suckin on Bailey's dong at his press conference

rastaman
01-07-2010, 03:13 PM

McD is getting his chance. All he needs to do next season is NOT regress! Hell, McD can go 8-8 next season as well, but he can ill-afford to go back-wards and have a 6-10 season in 2010. Right now as we speak, McD has been treated fairly after having gone 8-8.

McD was the surprise of the season after starting off 6-0! However, all bets were off so to speak when he had the 4 game losing streak and the fans called him out on it. Then when McD finished the season 2-8 the fans held him accountable for it.

Now of course McD's answer for the teams meltdown was to throw the OL under the bus and target some of the player left over from the Shanny era as to why the team went 2-8. Fair enough. However, McD will have to face another year/season as HC in 2010 and he will be held accountable.

At 4.0 million dollars a year over the next 3 years he's going to be just fine. McD just needs to win, and each year McD can do just that. He doesn't need a "Long Term" wait and see! Every HC in the NFL is on the "Hot Plate" to win games every season. McD won't get a free pass or charity b/c the NFL stands for NOT FOR LONG! You either win or you go home/get fired.

broncosteven
01-07-2010, 03:15 PM

NO ONE IS ABOVE THE "TEAM".

Aren't those his words?

rastaman
01-07-2010, 03:33 PM
just as likely we'll be looking up at Oakland too. that 6-0 start in hindsight wasnt good for McD. if we started 3-3 more people would be happier with the season I bet. He proved this team could win. Then imploded.

I'd bet this team improves next year. Ignoring the BM situation, there are some big improvment that need done, weather we made playoffs or not.

Oh great lets use Marshall as a convenient SCAPEGOAT! Brandon didn't make Orton throw 2 intcep that resulted in in 12/14 points. Brandon didn't cause Graham (one of those vets who asked accountability/responsibility) to drop so many passes. Brandon to cause the Defense to give up 32 points to the lowly Kanas City Chiefs!

Marshall wasn't the reason McD coached Denver to a 2-8 finish. That 2-8 finish is all on McD b/c he didn't make the adjustments and actually had a dinked and dunked offense that caused the OL to be ineffective.

McD will find himself under the microscope in 2010 and rightfully so. He definitely needs to work on all his finger pointing excuses as to why his offensive game planning became so predictable and inefficient over the last 10games. Already McD's handling of player relationship issues have started a pattern that he doesn't know how these issue in a professional non-dramatic manner. He's doing things his way no doubt, but the only way to quite his detractors is to JUST WIN BABY!

Taco John
01-07-2010, 03:37 PM
I think Woody makes a good point about McDaniels not knowing or caring about the culture of the Broncos and its fans. I think the hoodie is a minor example of that, but one worth noting.

But really, I would put that more on Joe Ellis and Pat Bowlen.

Mike Shanahan and Bill Belichick are the two winningest coaches in the NFL. Bringing in a Belichick disciple basically conceeded victory to Belichick. They didn't seem to put any thought into how the fans would react. From the abrupt firing of Shanahan to the hiring of a Belichick-tree coach - it has completely turned the culture of the Broncos franchise on its head.

Naturally, this has caused a rift in the fan base that started to heal when the Broncos were winning, but proceeded to get worse as they collapsed down the stretch winning only two games in ten played.

The concern that I have is whether or not we are taking a step forwards this season or backwards. Losing Marshall is going to be tough. Free agency this offseason is going to be tough for everyone, let alone for a team where the coach is seen battling in the media with his star players. We're looking to completely hit the reset button on our blocking scheme. And the defensive corrections that we experienced early in the season don't appear at this time to have long term solvency.

I don't want to say that McD has bitten off more than he can chew. Only wins and losses will show that. But it's easy to look at this team and wonder if that might be the case.

It's easy to get behind change when we're winning. Here's to winning.

cabronco
01-07-2010, 04:21 PM

Because he's good friends with Peyton Hillis....guilty by association I guess.

Lolad
01-07-2010, 04:24 PM

Shanny left a very capable offense, Top 5 in 1st downs, 3rd down %, Yards,

Bad in the red zone, because of Cutler.. Fix our red zone issues and we were set. ON OFFENSE..

As opposed to this year we aren't even top 15 in any Offensive Statistical category worth mentioning.

PRBronco
01-07-2010, 04:29 PM
Shanny left a very capable offense, Top 5 in 1st downs, 3rd down %, Yards,

Bad in the red zone, because of Cutler.. Fix our red zone issues and we were set. ON OFFENSE..

As opposed to this year we aren't even top 15 in any Offensive Statistical category worth mentioning.

We're Top 15 in Total yards, passing yards, and turnover diff. Weak in PPG again, so kinda the same story as last year.

Taco John
01-07-2010, 04:39 PM
Trading Marshall for a 2nd round pick would be a worse idea than the Jags coach who brought an axe into the locker room to instill a "keep chopping wood" workmen like spirit.

A few days later sure enough a player ends up on IR after shredding his leg fooling around with the axe.

That sounds a lot like making roster cuts by Darwinism. Not an entirely bad plan! ;)

Taco John
01-07-2010, 04:42 PM

If we started 0-6, and then finished 8-2, it would be natural that we'd forget about the 0-6 start and focus on the 8-2 stretch that we finished with. Everyone would be doing backflips in here right now because we finished strong and showed the right stuff at the right time. It would be a completely different story.

The most recent stuff is what people will remember and spend the most focus on. This is why the KC game was so important for us. A win at home would have made a lot of difference in the tone of our offseason. There'd still be a lot of people questioning things - but not as many of them.

Popps
01-07-2010, 04:43 PM
NO ONE IS ABOVE THE "TEAM".

Aren't those his words?

Sure, and that's a philosophy they teach us in Pop Warner.

Of course, you didn't answer my question, but that's cool.

Rohirrim
01-07-2010, 04:49 PM
I think Woody makes a good point about McDaniels not knowing or caring about the culture of the Broncos and its fans. I think the hoodie is a minor example of that, but one worth noting.

But really, I would put that more on Joe Ellis and Pat Bowlen.

Mike Shanahan and Bill Belichick are the two winningest coaches in the NFL. Bringing in a Belichick disciple basically conceeded victory to Belichick. They didn't seem to put any thought into how the fans would react. From the abrupt firing of Shanahan to the hiring of a Belichick-tree coach - it has completely turned the culture of the Broncos franchise on its head.

Naturally, this has caused a rift in the fan base that started to heal when the Broncos were winning, but proceeded to get worse as they collapsed down the stretch winning only two games in ten played.

The concern that I have is whether or not we are taking a step forwards this season or backwards. Losing Marshall is going to be tough. Free agency this offseason is going to be tough for everyone, let alone for a team where the coach is seen battling in the media with his star players. We're looking to completely hit the reset button on our blocking scheme. And the defensive corrections that we experienced early in the season don't appear at this time to have long term solvency.

I don't want to say that McD has bitten off more than he can chew. Only wins and losses will show that. But it's easy to look at this team and wonder if that might be the case.

It's easy to get behind change when we're winning. Here's to winning.

Judging by Belichick's record compared to Shanahan's over the last ten years, Ellis made the right pick. There were people in this town who disparaged the adoption of the Bill Walsh "dink and dunk" offense when Shanahan was brought in to replace Wade Phillips. It worked out okay. Have a little patience. When I think of what's happening now, it takes me back to the old Orange Crush, pre-Elway. For those who weren't around then, we had a dominating 3/4. It was sweet.

Popps
01-07-2010, 05:04 PM
Judging by Belichick's record compared to Shanahan's over the last ten years, Ellis made the right pick. There were people in this town who disparaged the adoption of the Bill Walsh "dink and dunk" offense when Shanahan was brought in to replace Wade Phillips. It worked out okay. Have a little patience. When I think of what's happening now, it takes me back to the old Orange Crush, pre-Elway. For those who weren't around then, we had a dominating 3/4. It was sweet.

http://cache1.asset-cache.net/xc/81372276.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF1934B869679A269F9CC9B956D11AFD70178 26FD13ED7B73D4BC

watermock
01-07-2010, 05:29 PM
Ellis is nothing more than a bean counter.

If he made the right choice, judging by our '60's 2-8 finish, it more akin to betting red over black at roulette and coming up green 00's.