PDA

View Full Version : Kyle Shanahan

UberBroncoMan
01-07-2010, 04:19 AM
Holy ****...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kyle_Shanahan

I mean I can see why, but holy ****.

"On January 5, 2010, Shanahan became the offensive coordinator of the Washington Redskins. On the same day, his father Mike Shanahan became the head coach of the Redskins."

http://www.houstontexans.com/tv/index.asp?mm_file_id=3909&play_clip=y

montrose
01-07-2010, 04:53 AM
Not too surprising. I hope, for the Redskins sake, Shanahan's staff isn't soon filled with buddies and ex-players. That was one of his weak points, IMO, during his tenure here in the post-Elway era.

long beach bronco
01-07-2010, 05:47 AM
That seems to be mcd's problems as well. It will only intensify as he purges the roster even more in 2010.

jhat01
01-07-2010, 06:16 AM
Kyle did a fine job in Houston. Shanny wouldn't let him work for him until he'd proven himself. I think it's cool, and it's not like Mike isn't going to have veto power.

watermock
01-07-2010, 06:27 AM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/2v3Qgt0Fb8I&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2v3Qgt0Fb8I&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>.

Benius, but 40 years late.

BTW, WTF happenned to our left pitch sweep. Noshawn ran it well and we never saw it again.

TonyR
01-07-2010, 06:46 AM
That seems to be mcd's problems as well.

How so? I only know of two guys he gave minor roles. The coordinators and position coaches, to my knowledge, have no previous direct ties to McD. So where is the problem?

TonyR
01-07-2010, 06:50 AM
Holy ****...

This is old news. Where have you been, UBM?

Rabb
01-07-2010, 07:38 AM
I really don't get (and I am not even talking McD) why anyone has an issue with coaches taking along familiar people. It HAS to help to start off with a couple friendly faces and it reduces a lot of time getting people into the system. Just an observation I guess, I could be wrong...people just make too much of little **** like this. Now, if he goes with Slowik, that is just stupid....familiar or not.

cmhargrove
01-07-2010, 07:42 AM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/2v3Qgt0Fb8I&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2v3Qgt0Fb8I&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>.

Benius, but 40 years late.

BTW, WTF happenned to our left pitch sweep. Noshawn ran it well and we never saw it again.

Forget just the pitch sweep. I thought one of our best plays seemed to be a check down pass to Moreno. What was he averaging - about 6 yards a catch? The dude has great hands and could have had an even better year had he been like Matt Forte ala 2008.

If our line has a hard time opening up the tough lanes, just get Moreno past the line then let him catch. The dude has awesome hands for a RB.

jhns
01-07-2010, 07:44 AM
It will be interesting to see if they can turn that team around. I want to see how the offense turns around and if they are keeping their QB. If they can get an offense next year, they could be pretty good.

TonyR
01-07-2010, 07:46 AM
I really don't get (and I am not even talking McD) why anyone has an issue with coaches taking along familiar people.

To me it's only a problem when you put under qualified and/or incompetent people in important positions. I'm not aware that McD has done that, so I don't have a problem with the familiars he has on the staff.

Rabb
01-07-2010, 08:01 AM
To me it's only a problem when you put under qualified and/or incompetent people in important positions. I'm not aware that McD has done that, so I don't have a problem with the familiars he has on the staff.

I agree with that

HEAV
01-07-2010, 08:05 AM
Kyle Shanahan = Nepotism

TheReverend
01-07-2010, 08:09 AM
Kyle Shanahan = Nepotism

Coach of the #4 offense in the league. Last year? #3 in the league while their starting QB missed 5 games with injury.

Two top 5 offenses in his two seasons as an OC.

Nepotism indeed.

jhat01
01-07-2010, 08:14 AM
Kyle Shanahan = Nepotism

Bull...He wouldn't let his kid work for him until he'd proved himself. I think he's proved himself.

Kaylore
01-07-2010, 08:45 AM
Coach of the #4 offense in the league. Last year? #3 in the league while their starting QB missed 5 games with injury.

Two top 5 offenses in his two seasons as an OC.

Nepotism indeed.

Please. Shanahan was the king of nepotism while he was here. He frequently gave coaches and their family members cushy jobs even when they weren't qualified. Sometimes it worked out (Bates family) and most of the time (Slowik family) it didn't.

jhat01
01-07-2010, 08:48 AM
Please. Shanahan was the king of nepotism while he was here. He frequently gave coaches and their family members cushy jobs even when they weren't qualified. Sometimes it worked out (Bates family) and most of the time (Slowik family) it didn't.

So he's not qualified to run the offense there? Come on dude, who else is going to run it? Dennison? Great guy and all, but more of an OL coach with a title.

strafen
01-07-2010, 08:52 AM
How so? I only know of two guys he gave minor roles. The coordinators and position coaches, to my knowledge, have no previous direct ties to McD. So where is the problem?He hired one of his brothers.

The Joker
01-07-2010, 08:54 AM
Shanahan is big into his nepotism, no question about it.

But hiring Kyle is hardly bringing in someone who isn't qualified for the job. Guy has proven he's a a very good young OC.

Wait and see who the rest of his staff will be, if he brings Slowik as anything other than DB coach then it'll be criminal.

Rabb
01-07-2010, 08:57 AM
He hired one of his brothers.

How so? I only know of two guys he gave minor roles. The coordinators and position coaches, to my knowledge, have no previous direct ties to McD. So where is the problem?

I think that is what he was saying here

TonyR
01-07-2010, 09:01 AM
I think that is what he was saying here

Exactly. Minor role.

Ben McDaniels
Coaching assistant; born June 6, 1980, Barberton, Ohio. Quarterback Kent State 1999-2002. No pro playing experience. College coach: Minnesota 2004-05. Pro coach: Joined Broncos in 2009.

http://www.nfl.com/teams/coaches?coaType=assist&team=DEN

TheReverend
01-07-2010, 09:19 AM

I'm pointing out that it's not exactly nepotism when someone is extremely qualified:

"Coach of the #4 offense in the league. Last year? #3 in the league while their starting QB missed 5 games with injury. Two top 5 offenses in his two years as an OC"

TheDave
01-07-2010, 09:23 AM
Well at least we know who our next coach will be if McD doesn't work out...

bpc
01-07-2010, 09:59 AM

Kaylore hates Shanny, and he's going to make sure you all know about it.

bpc
01-07-2010, 10:00 AM
How come nobody is bringing up nepotism with McDaniels? Wasn't it him who got the Broncos job and then hired his brother onto the coaching staff and his previous experience was coaching JV high school football?

NEPOTISM INDEED!!!!

TonyR
01-07-2010, 10:45 AM
How come nobody is bringing up nepotism with McDaniels?

Did you skip most of the posts in this thread?

TonyR
01-07-2010, 10:47 AM
Kaylore hates Shanny...

He "hates" our former coach (which I actually think is an unfair characterization), you hate our current coach (clearly).

Popps
01-07-2010, 10:50 AM
How come nobody is bringing up nepotism with McDaniels? !

They have, a billion times around here. Not paying attention?

Turn off the Bears games for a minute and actually read some posts.

Yea, McDaniels hired his brother as an "offensive assistant." (He was a QB coach for Kent State.)

In other words, he's getting coffee for people, now. Front page news, huh?

Garcia Bronco
01-07-2010, 10:56 AM
Shanahan setting his team up for failure out of the gate. **** Nepotism.

TexanBob
01-07-2010, 11:46 AM
Texan fans probably have a less warm feeling about "Baby Shan". My personal gripe was the slow-white-boy-reverse where they would take McCaffrey clone Kevin Walter on end around plays when he has speedsters like Andre Johnson, Jacoby Jones and Andre Davis on the roster. Shanny wouldn't run the play for them, only Walter. It was just dumb.

Shanahan also caught a lot of flack for calling a halfback pass from the Jacksonville 5 yard line that was intercepted and torpedoed a gallant comeback effort.

Too many dump offs to ham-handed fullbacks also.

How much of that was Baby Shan and how much of that was Kubiak is hard to say but, as OC and HC, both take responsibility.

Florida_Bronco
01-07-2010, 11:52 AM
Not too surprising. I hope, for the Redskins sake, Shanahan's staff isn't soon filled with buddies and ex-players. That was one of his weak points, IMO, during his tenure here in the post-Elway era.

He's got his son there and it's pretty much common knowledge that Slowik is going there too.

So it begins.

jonny1
01-07-2010, 12:05 PM
He's got his son there and it's pretty much common knowledge that Slowik is going there too.

So it begins.

Common knowledge here on the Mane, but so far, no mention in the Washington papers.

TonyR
01-07-2010, 12:13 PM
...but so far, no mention in the Washington papers.

I read somewhere that Slowik will be on the staff, just probably not as DC.

Florida_Bronco
01-07-2010, 12:14 PM
Common knowledge here on the Mane, but so far, no mention in the Washington papers.

There was an article posted here a couple days ago that said Slowik was expected to join him in D.C.

yavoon
01-07-2010, 12:17 PM
I really don't get (and I am not even talking McD) why anyone has an issue with coaches taking along familiar people. It HAS to help to start off with a couple friendly faces and it reduces a lot of time getting people into the system. Just an observation I guess, I could be wrong...people just make too much of little **** like this. Now, if he goes with Slowik, that is just stupid....familiar or not.

people want coaches to win, not for them to feel more comfortable.

jonny1
01-07-2010, 12:21 PM
There was an article posted here a couple days ago that said Slowik was expected to join him in D.C.

My bad, I just saw that . . . .

azbroncfan
01-07-2010, 12:23 PM
I wish BPC would just pick the Bears or skins to go root for and save us all brain capacity. He then could take rasta, Mock(except Mock has vikings already), broncofan7 and lex with him.

Back on subject Kyle has proven himself but Shanny is making the mistake with business and mixing it with family/friends.

TheReverend
01-07-2010, 12:29 PM
I read somewhere that Slowik will be on the staff, just probably not as DC.

Mike Zimmer will be the DC within 48 hours of the Bengals playoff elimination.

HEAV
01-07-2010, 12:32 PM
Kyle has proven himself, but why then run back to daddy when you found a spot in Texas with Daddys buddy?

With the Texans he was a play caller, do you really think he'll be calling plays for daddy? Shanny will call the plays and Kyle will be the practice coach.

In my few Kyle just took a step back in coaching.

TheReverend
01-07-2010, 12:35 PM
Kyle has proven himself, but why then run back to daddy when you found a spot in Texas with Daddys buddy?

Job security and more money. Dan Snyder isn't cheap, I'm sure Kyle's well compensated. Also, he'll be locked in for 5 years considering that's the duration of Shanahan's contract and Kubiak is on the hot seat in Houston.

With the Texans he was a play caller, do you really think he'll be calling plays for daddy? Shanny will call the plays and Kyle will be the practice coach.

In my few Kyle just took a step back in coaching.

Last year articles came out that Shanahan hasn't been calling the plays for about a decade. Bates, Heimerdinger and Kubiak before him all handled those duties and I don't see why that would change now.

Any other questions?

Popps
01-20-2010, 04:43 PM
Looks like the Redkins made it official today.

Shanny's kid the OC.

UberBroncoMan
01-20-2010, 04:51 PM
I ****ing HATE the Redskins and that ****ing city... but I may have to watch a few of their games next year merely to see this father son duo. I'll be curious to see what becomes of Clinton Portis or how many ex-Broncos the Redskins pickup.

Also, that Matt LaFleur kid they picked up with Kyle from Houston looks to be a future coaching star himself.

Pony Boy
01-20-2010, 05:28 PM
Maybe we can send Simms to the Skins also......
Chris Simms and Kyle Shanahan became such good friends at the University of Texas that they have their initials tattooed on each other's lower leg.

jhns
01-20-2010, 05:32 PM
I hope he does well. Maybe he can come here after proving himself, when we need a new coach. He could stay at his dads house.

DBroncos4life
01-20-2010, 05:52 PM

To coach the safeties if he is hired.

SureShot
01-20-2010, 06:40 PM
Kaylore hates Shanny, and he's going to make sure you all know about it.

I dont believe that and I have seen alot of Shanahan haters.

theAPAOps5
01-20-2010, 06:58 PM

Yeah I agree, I like BPC but that was an asinine statement.

SureShot
01-20-2010, 07:02 PM
Yeah I agree, I like BPC but that was an asinine statement.

You fire enough bullets there is bound to be some collateral damage.:D

~Crash~
01-20-2010, 10:16 PM
Fail

Popps
01-20-2010, 11:34 PM

Kaylore doesn't hate Shanahan.

In fact, I haven't seen one person here state that they do, except for that nut who ran the psyco website.

I think we're all fans of his, to varying degrees. That doesn't mean he gets to keep his job for all eternity if things aren't going well.

Anyway, I'm still waiting for the outrage over Kyle Shanahan being hired as OC. Josh hired a family member to chase down coffee or some ****, and you've got BPC and other bra-burners around here all up in arms.

Where's the outrage over this?

extralife
01-20-2010, 11:58 PM
Kyle Shanahan is qualified.

And Mike has earned the right to judge who is qualified. When the 32 year old with no experience does it, it looks a little worse. Then when he kicks out all the biggest threats to his hegemony and replaces them with cronies, it looks a lot worse.

Popps
01-21-2010, 12:22 AM
Kyle Shanahan is qualified.

And Mike has earned the right to judge who is qualified. When the 32 year old with no experience does it, it looks a little worse. Then when he kicks out all the biggest threats to his hegemony and replaces them with cronies, it looks a lot worse.

Riiiiiight.

Shanahan's kid is qualified to run an offense, but McDaniels (who was hired as an NFL head coach) ISN'T qualified to hire someone for a non-primary assistant gig.

Sure, as long as there's no double standard, I'm good.

:thumbs:

bpc
01-21-2010, 12:23 AM
Typical post on the Mane.

"You know what would be fun today? Let's try to run over Mike Shanahan again!"

You would have to be a complete idiot to knock Kyle Shanahan's resume. I know, it isn't Canton High and all that but I think he's paid his dues under some of the greatest offensive minds in the league.

Popps
01-21-2010, 12:24 AM
Typical post on the Mane.

"You know what would be fun today? Let's try to run over Mike Shanahan again!"

Yea, psycho... because that's what people are doing.

Good lord. You really need to see someone.

bpc
01-21-2010, 12:31 AM
Yea, psycho... because that's what people are doing.

Good lord. You really need to see someone.

It's just funny because you're trying laugh at what Shanahan is doing in DC, yet have you looked at the dysfunctional crap we have going on here?

Washington is going to be better than us next year.

DBroncos4life
01-21-2010, 12:34 AM
Riiiiiight.

Shanahan's kid is qualified to run an offense, but McDaniels (who was hired as an NFL head coach) ISN'T qualified to hire someone for a non-primary assistant gig.

Sure, as long as there's no double standard, I'm good.

:thumbs:

Well given the fact that Shanahan's kid has been successfull at running a NFL offense I think it is safe to say he is qualified. Just because you have the power to appoint people into a position doesn't mean 1) you are qualified to do that. 2) Doesn't mean the person you appointed is qualified for the job. I thought our last president would have cleared that up for any doubters by now.

I don't think it is that big of a deal that McD hired his brother to do some job on a team that isn't of that much importance, but to try and make a claim that Kyle Shanahan is on the same level as Ben is nuts. Kyle went from college, to the NFL. From there he took on different coaching positions till he was promoted to OC by Kubes. Ben went straight from high school football to the NFL. Completely different paths to get to the NFL. I think Kyle would have higher odds of being a coach in the NFL then Ben even with out his dad being Mike Shanahan.

Florida_Bronco
01-21-2010, 12:46 AM
And Mike has earned the right to judge who is qualified.

Two words.

Bob. Slowik.

extralife
01-21-2010, 01:30 AM
having the "right to judge" doesn't mean you always have to be correct in that judgment. we know Shanahan made mistakes. but I do believe he did what he thought was best for the team. I think McDaniels is doing what he thinks is best for Josh McDaniels.

Florida_Bronco
01-21-2010, 01:35 AM
having the "right to judge" doesn't mean you always have to be correct in that judgment. we know Shanahan made mistakes. but I do believe he did what he thought was best for the team. I think McDaniels is doing what he thinks is best for Josh McDaniels.

Now that's funny. Shanny canned a proven DC six weeks into his first season, but was willing to give his old buddy Slowik (a proven failure) two and a half years to get things on track.

Popps
01-21-2010, 01:43 AM
It's just funny because you're trying laugh at what Shanahan is doing in DC,.

Actually, I'm not.

You'd better rethink this and try again.

Popps
01-21-2010, 01:46 AM

Pure insanity. That's all that is. It's just blind hatred clouding judgment.

You don't have to like him, but you're nuts if you think he doesn't want this franchise to win. The guy almost popped a blood vessel several times this season. He's deeply passionate about this team... like his methods or not.

Horrible take.

bpc
01-21-2010, 01:55 AM
McD strikes me as a passionate guy but it's more about his ego than it is about the city he's currently coaching in. He would rather lose on his terms, and be in control, than to concede, meet in the middle and win in the process while using somebody else's suggestions.

extralife
01-21-2010, 02:16 AM
Pure insanity. That's all that is. It's just blind hatred clouding judgment.

You don't have to like him, but you're nuts if you think he doesn't want this franchise to win. The guy almost popped a blood vessel several times this season. He's deeply passionate about this team... like his methods or not.

Horrible take.

I could just as easily say he's "deeply passionate" about his methods, his philosophy, and his accolades. When was he the most pumped up? When he beat his mentor. The guy this team beats with regularity. He obviously wants his people. He obviously wants every part of the team run the way he sees fit. If that translates to success, he will be lauded; if it doesn't, he will be run out of town. Right now? I see a guy that doesn't have the resume to back up the ego. I don't trust him to have the amount of control he has. We didn't like the control Shanahan had at the end--this guy has more control right now than Shanny ever did, and he doesn't have the rings to back it up.

extralife
01-21-2010, 02:18 AM
Now that's funny. Shanny canned a proven DC six weeks into his first season, but was willing to give his old buddy Slowik (a proven failure) two and a half years to get things on track.

Slowik was our DC for one year, same as everyone else. And he isn't the DC in Washington, contrary to popular belief. Firing Jim Bates was a mistake. So was "letting go" of Mike Nolan, despite the comic hindsight attempts to paint McD as the sole reason for our defensive success, while somehow also foisting all the problems onto Nolan.

Popps
01-21-2010, 02:58 AM
I could just as easily say he's "deeply passionate" about his methods, his philosophy, and his accolades. When was he the most pumped up? When he beat his mentor. .

Disagree. I think he was more fired up when his squad was dogging it against the Giants early on.

Yes, the NE game was a big one for him. I'm not surprised to see people turn it on him, though. That's just how bitter people are around here. A Broncos coach is jacked up after a win, shows a little enthusiasm and he's Hitler.

You're making a fool's argument. You don't have to like him, but to say he doesn't want to win is pure insanity. His biggest detractor should at very least see that this guy is passionate about taking this franchise to the promise land.

You don't have to believe in him.

You don't have to like him.

But saying that he doesn't want to win is lunacy and frankly, just plain childish.

Popps
01-21-2010, 03:02 AM
We didn't like the control Shanahan had at the end--this guy has more control right now than Shanny ever did, and he doesn't have the rings to back it up.

Shanahan was given full control with essentially the same credentials as McDaniels.

These guys are so similar. Why do people need to make them different?

McDaniels is very much like Shanahan... in personality, and circumstance. That's what makes all of this so comical.

extralife
01-21-2010, 03:08 AM
I agree that he is very much like Shanahan. I don't personally believe in his methods, whereas I do believe in Shanahan's methods. And I absolutely think Mike always loved the Denver Broncos. And he was more humble. Remember, we offered him the job in '92--he turned it down because he didn't think he was ready. Shanahan was not immediately afforded the kind of sway in personnel matters that McDaniels is. And either way, the vast majority of people around here voiced extreme displeasure with that set up. Why is it suddenly not only acceptable, but philosophically preferred? People can't think for themselves.

BigPlayShay
01-21-2010, 01:36 PM
LOL:

http://twitter.com/Adam_Schefter/status/8040026564

Redskins announced today that they have named Jacob Burney defensive line coach and Bob Slowik defensive backs coach.

Florida_Bronco
01-21-2010, 01:45 PM
Slowik was our DC for one year, same as everyone else. Actually a year and a half. Shanahan gave him control over the defense 6 weeks into 2007 and then told us Slowik would be coming back in 2009.

And he isn't the DC in Washington Not yet anyways.

Florida_Bronco
01-21-2010, 01:46 PM
LOL:

http://twitter.com/Adam_Schefter/status/8040026564

Redskins announced today that they have named Jacob Burney defensive line coach and Bob Slowik defensive backs coach.

Epic fail. Slowik is a good DB coach but our defensive line sucked the entire time Burney was here. All that guy does is yell and scream.

BigPlayShay
01-21-2010, 01:48 PM
Epic fail. Slowik is a good DB coach but our defensive line sucked the entire time Burney was here. All that guy does is yell and scream.

Maybe we can trade Jarvis Moss to the skins for a T-shirt or a case of gatorade.

Stormontheplains
01-21-2010, 02:40 PM
Shanahan was given full control with essentially the same credentials as McDaniels.

These guys are so similar. Why do people need to make them different?

McDaniels is very much like Shanahan... in personality, and circumstance. That's what makes all of this so comical.

Same credentials as Mcdaniels, dumbest f9cking thing I have heard. Mike took the highest scoring team in the NFL as an OC and won the superbowl, McD took the highest scoring team in the NFL, put up 14 points and lost. That is the difference, Wins and Losses.