PDA

View Full Version : Why the BCS rankings are a joke

gyldenlove
01-06-2010, 08:26 PM
With only 2 days of bowl games left, a clear picture is emerging, the BCS ranked teams are losing big.

If Central Michigan loses to Troy tonight, and it looks like they might that would make ranked teams 3-4 in bowl games against unranked teams.

What is even worse is how better ranked teams have fared against lower ranked teams: 3-5 not counting the BCS bowl.

The BCS rankings are so bad that they can only hope to break even if Central Michigan pulls a last minute win and Alabama wins the championship. At worst the favourite teams would win only 6 of 16 bowl games.

OBF1
01-06-2010, 08:36 PM
The BCS does not determine a "Favorite" that would be Las Vegas.

If #5 beats #3 and #6 beats #4 that is not really an upset since they are so closely ranked.... Same goes for Iowa beating GA Tech.

Jerry Curl
01-06-2010, 08:54 PM
MWC= 4-1(damn TCU)...where's the automatic bid? Eff the bcs.

TheChamp24
01-06-2010, 10:05 PM
MWC= 4-1(damn TCU)...where's the automatic bid? Eff the bcs.

Or how about the fact that the MWC schedule is a joke when you 4-5 horrible teams in there, one thats decent in Air Force, and then you have 3 teams that are inconsistent in TCU, BYU and Utah, and to add to that, it isn't exactly like some of these schools have shown they have been able to compete with the big boys for a long time.

tsiguy96
01-06-2010, 11:22 PM
Or how about the fact that the MWC schedule is a joke when you 4-5 horrible teams in there, one thats decent in Air Force, and then you have 3 teams that are inconsistent in TCU, BYU and Utah, and to add to that, it isn't exactly like some of these schools have shown they have been able to compete with the big boys for a long time.

maybe if they were given the opportunity to (ie chance at a national championship) the top recruits would stop going to the same 10 schools?

misturanderson
01-07-2010, 12:19 AM

But the Big East has?

ZONA
01-07-2010, 02:52 AM
College football is nothing more then a money making business for colleges and a recruitment league for the NFL. No playoffs, only stupid voting and computer calculations. If they ever get a playoff system, I will start watching again. I know college football makes alot of money but the best thing going in college sports is "THE TOURNAMENT". It's thrill factor is 20 times that of any game in college football. And the funny thing is I love football way more then I do whoops. But with no playoffs, I can't stand it.

TexanBob
01-07-2010, 03:01 AM
If all college teams were equally motivated to win their bowl games, it might be a fair comparison, but it isn't. After a five-week layoff for many of them, the team that can stay focused and in playing shape is usually the one that wins the bowl. Take Alabama last year. Sure, it was the Sugar Bowl but they all knew that was the consolation prize for losing to Florida. Utah, OTOH, showed up with a mission to get some national respect. Bama had nothing to play for. So guess who won?

Except for #1 vs #2, there's just not much motivation behind some matchups and the teams play like it.

A playoff reduces the number of bowls that are just meaningless exhibitions and makes the games count for something. THEN you'd have a better measure of which teams are better than others.

UberBroncoMan
01-07-2010, 04:01 AM
BCS stands for Big Crock of **** for a reason.

gunns
01-07-2010, 06:56 AM

How about the fact that the schedule that Florida and Alabama played was as much of a joke. I mean Charleston Southern and Chatanooga are terrifying opponents. Not to mention Kentucky. Florida played one ranked team, LSU, until Alabama, and LSU was only ranked because they are a BCS team, not because they are a "big boy". They stayed in the top 10 despite playing NOBODY except Alabama, Florida and lost and one other ranked team, Georgia, who fell out of the rankings. So why was LSU ranked so high? Oh not because they were actually playing the big boys but because they were a BCS big boy. Why do you think they put Boise State and TCU together in a bowl game. To avoid further embarrassment. You'd think they'd learn

They can't compete with the big boys? When are they given the chance? And when they are, they win. Whoever said Alabama had nothing to play for is full of ****. Utah dominated the entire game and yes, Alabama was trying. You obviously did not watch the game. The only difference is the BCS gives the BCS schools the bulk of the money, they are able to hire great coaches, such as Urban Meyer. Yep the same Urban Meyer that took Utah to an undefeated season. The fact you buy into the BCS BS is hilarious.

gyldenlove
01-07-2010, 09:33 AM
The BCS does not determine a "Favorite" that would be Las Vegas.

If #5 beats #3 and #6 beats #4 that is not really an upset since they are so closely ranked.... Same goes for Iowa beating GA Tech.

The BCS with its rankings say that #3 is better than number #4, that is the whole premise of the ranking.

Las Vegas determines a favourite? Las Vegas doesn't determine **** other than how to minimize the probability of having to pay out large amounts of money, they don't care who wins as long as the spread protects them from losing money.

Jason in LA
01-07-2010, 10:04 AM
I think the BCS is a joke, but not for the reasons stated in this thread. The BCS poll isn't that much different from the AP or coaches poll. Outside of the top two teams, and the other BCS Bowl games, who really cares what their rankings are? And their rankings don't determine who is going to win a game.

The BCS fails to give us a legit way to determine who plays for the national championship. It robs teams of the opportunity to play for the title. It's a horrible system and a playoff system, one that would keep the bowl system intact, would be awesome.

Garcia Bronco
01-07-2010, 10:44 AM
With only 2 days of bowl games left, a clear picture is emerging, the BCS ranked teams are losing big.

If Central Michigan loses to Troy tonight, and it looks like they might that would make ranked teams 3-4 in bowl games against unranked teams.

What is even worse is how better ranked teams have fared against lower ranked teams: 3-5 not counting the BCS bowl.

The BCS rankings are so bad that they can only hope to break even if Central Michigan pulls a last minute win and Alabama wins the championship. At worst the favourite teams would win only 6 of 16 bowl games.

Bowl games played 45 days after the season mean very little. Bolw games are alos for the fans of the teams and Alumni to go to the game and watch the team play. Not for the football fan that just watches it on TV.

Garcia Bronco
01-07-2010, 10:45 AM
I think the BCS is a joke, but not for the reasons stated in this thread. The BCS poll isn't that much different from the AP or coaches poll. Outside of the top two teams, and the other BCS Bowl games, who really cares what their rankings are? And their rankings don't determine who is going to win a game.

The BCS fails to give us a legit way to determine who plays for the national championship. It robs teams of the opportunity to play for the title. It's a horrible system and a playoff system, one that would keep the bowl system intact, would be awesome.

When the BCS first started the statistical polls accounted for 75 percent. Now they count for 25 percent and the coaches poll and harris poll count the most....so of course it mimicks the subjective polls.

Garcia Bronco
01-07-2010, 10:47 AM
If all college teams were equally motivated to win their bowl games, it might be a fair comparison, but it isn't. After a five-week layoff for many of them, the team that can stay focused and in playing shape is usually the one that wins the bowl. Take Alabama last year. Sure, it was the Sugar Bowl but they all knew that was the consolation prize for losing to Florida. Utah, OTOH, showed up with a mission to get some national respect. Bama had nothing to play for. So guess who won?

Except for #1 vs #2, there's just not much motivation behind some matchups and the teams play like it.

A playoff reduces the number of bowls that are just meaningless exhibitions and makes the games count for something. THEN you'd have a better measure of which teams are better than others.

Exactly. Samething happened to Virginia Tech in 95. We wanted respect and Texas was just playing in another big bowl game...so we kicked the crap out of them 28-10.

Garcia Bronco
01-07-2010, 10:55 AM
The BCS with its rankings say that #3 is better than number #4, that is the whole premise of the ranking.

Las Vegas determines a favourite? Las Vegas doesn't determine **** other than how to minimize the probability of having to pay out large amounts of money, they don't care who wins as long as the spread protects them from losing money.

He's right though. What's the difference between team 25 and team number 1? 3 to 4 wins...maybe. Make the range smaller and the difference is even less.

gtown
01-07-2010, 11:12 AM
College football is nothing more then a money making business for colleges and a recruitment league for the NFL. No playoffs, only stupid voting and computer calculations. If they ever get a playoff system, I will start watching again. I know college football makes alot of money but the best thing going in college sports is "THE TOURNAMENT". It's thrill factor is 20 times that of any game in college football. And the funny thing is I love football way more then I do whoops. But with no playoffs, I can't stand it.

I agree with you totally. But what gets me is the financial windfall that a tournament would produce. These BCS a-holes and those representing the major conferences do not realize how much money is to be made with a tourney. It's a win-win for college football fans and the NCAA alike.

I don't watch one second of college basketball during the regular season, nor do I even really care about basketball as a sport, but once March Madness starts I am all over that.

snowspot66
01-07-2010, 11:37 AM
I might watch college football if it had a playoff system. As it is I never bother to watch a game. It's all meaningless as far as I'm concerned. A season full of exhibition games.

Jerry Curl
01-07-2010, 02:56 PM

Utah is inconsistent? I guess 9 straight bowl wins(2 against bcs schools) isn't much huh? I'm not saying the MWC is up with the SEC or anything but c'mon the Big East isn't better at all, Cinci got rolled and would of got rolled by TCU or Boise.

Pony Boy
01-07-2010, 03:12 PM
It's a joke because you end up with two teams like Boise State and TCU in a major bowl game. That looked like a high school playoff game or cripple fight...... either one, pitiful game to watch on a prime time network.

Northman
01-07-2010, 03:15 PM
If they continue rankings it shouldnt be placed on teams until midway through the season. After that, the top 8 should have a playoff.