PDA

View Full Version : Shanahan Redskins introductory Press Conference

24champ
01-06-2010, 12:41 PM
http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/getty/52/fullj.494f3bfd9d74a76b98204ce20e8d2ecb/494f3bfd9d74a76b98204ce20e8d2ecb-getty-52623549wm003_washington_re.jpg

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-total-access/09000d5d8158ce92/Redskins-introduce-Shanahan

Discuss.

Don Flamenco
01-06-2010, 12:46 PM
my god that tan

Florida_Bronco
01-06-2010, 12:53 PM
Best of luck, Mike.

rbackfactory80
01-06-2010, 12:53 PM
I think they have a chance to do something special.

Broncos123
01-06-2010, 12:57 PM
Good Luck Mike, one of the best coaches around! Enjoyed your tenure with the Broncos, hate to see you somewhere else.

Archer81
01-06-2010, 12:58 PM
Shanahan: I will do inexplicable things and make some of your heads explode. It will all be clear in time...

:Broncos:

Beantown Bronco
01-06-2010, 12:59 PM
Does anyone know if Kenny Peterson was there to warm up the crowd for him?

_Oro_
01-06-2010, 01:00 PM
Wow can't believe he rated bronco fans a 6/10. :pimp:

gyldenlove
01-06-2010, 01:07 PM

I know, with as much as we put out, at least a sympathy 7 would be appropriate.

Crushaholic
01-06-2010, 01:14 PM
Caption:

Shanahan: Mr. Snyder, I feel like sticking it to your team one more time. Have you met Bob Slowik?:wiggle:

JJJ
01-06-2010, 01:15 PM
He seems like a very good fit for the Skins, given the tan and all.

I think he will do very well there.

bronclvr
01-06-2010, 01:16 PM
I think I have found my second favorite Team-

The MVPlaya
01-06-2010, 01:22 PM

You can't? Why don't you take a look around here, Broncos.com forums, etc.

Broncos fans are spoiled. He probably doesn't have a clear image of the Broncos fans during the Elway days. His last impression is his clearest.

Look @ how we are supporting McDaniels, even though he IS our head coach.

Bigdawg26
01-06-2010, 01:22 PM
Man it's going to feel weird hearing that "you know he's a pretty good player" or "a player that played pretty well" speech in washington!

bendog
01-06-2010, 01:24 PM
You can't? Why don't you take a look around here, Broncos.com forums, etc.

Broncos fans are spoiled. He probably doesn't have a clear image of the Broncos fans during the Elway days. His last impression is his clearest.

Look @ how we are supporting McDaniels, even though he IS our head coach.

Ok, now I'm officially depressed.

The MVPlaya
01-06-2010, 01:29 PM
Ok, now I'm officially depressed.

I didn't see where he said that actually, maybe it's in the full interview.

I don't blame the man or McDaniels about how he probably feels. Invesco field has pretty weak home field.

I went to the Chargers game on Monday night in SD and the Monday night game against Steelers in Denver... let me tell you that difference was depressing.

The Chargers stadium was incredibly loud. The Broncos... not so much with all the Pittsburgh fans. We were 6-1 at that point coming off a loss and we couldn't get any support... and that loss was AWAY!

I'm not saying thats the only thing to base it off of, but a Monday night game on national television should be a pretty good measuring stick.

LongDongJohnson
01-06-2010, 01:30 PM
shanatan still gots it.

Dukes
01-06-2010, 01:33 PM
Good luck Mike, I'll be rooting for you.

enjolras
01-06-2010, 01:34 PM
Seems like a terrible situation for Shannahan. Expectations are going to be sky high and that locker room lacks the strong leadership and high intensity players that Shannahan needs to be successful.

bendog
01-06-2010, 01:34 PM
I meant I was depressed that McDaniels was the coach. But I agree, the noise at invesco is not that much. I think shanny's comments, if that's what he realy said, were just sort of giving denver the finger. But faider fans are stout, and really so are the chorf's, as both put up with so much. Still, when SD is in your division, I think you get better than 6 out of 10.

jhat01
01-06-2010, 01:35 PM
I didn't see where he said that actually, maybe it's in the full interview.

I don't blame the man or McDaniels about how he probably feels. Invesco field has pretty weak home field.

I went to the Chargers game on Monday night in SD and the Monday night game against Steelers in Denver... let me tell you that difference was depressing.

The Chargers stadium was incredibly loud. The Broncos... not so much with all the Pittsburgh fans. We were 6-1 at that point coming off a loss and we couldn't get any support... and that loss was AWAY!

I'm not saying thats the only thing to base it off of, but a Monday night game on national television should be a pretty good measuring stick.

It sucks...I would give my pinky toe to live in or around Denver so I could go to more games. I make it to one game/year and it depends on where they are playing and where we're stationed. This year was DC...that was fun for a half! Plenty of Bronco fans at that game too though...When we got off the Metro I overheard a Redskin fan say that he didn't know the blue line started in Denver!

Meck77
01-06-2010, 01:36 PM
This time next year he'll be saying the typical crap.

We did some good things year. There are things we need to improve on. We're a couple players away...yadda yadda yadda

Mark it down.

Bronco LB52
01-06-2010, 01:44 PM
For the first time in my life, I will go out of my way to watch two teams play on Sunday.

orangeatheist
01-06-2010, 01:44 PM
Seems like a terrible situation for Shannahan. Expectations are going to be sky high and that locker room lacks the strong leadership and high intensity players that Shannahan needs to be successful.

Good grief, you know all you need to do is replace one name and you'd have...

Seems like a terrible situation for Cutler. Expectations are going to be sky high and that locker room lacks the strong leadership and high intensity players that Cutler needs to be successful.

...what many found out about the Bears rosey glasses last year. Wonder if the Redskins are in for a similar let down?

I certainly wish Mike all the luck unless he were to meet us in the SB. Then I'd want him and his team strung up like a side of beef.

Oh, and Cutler? He can go to hell.

The MVPlaya
01-06-2010, 01:46 PM
I meant I was depressed that McDaniels was the coach. But I agree, the noise at invesco is not that much. I think shanny's comments, if that's what he realy said, were just sort of giving denver the finger. But faider fans are stout, and really so are the chorf's, as both put up with so much. Still, when SD is in your division, I think you get better than 6 out of 10.

My point exactly.

bloodsunday
01-06-2010, 01:47 PM
I found it interesting that the press asked him at least 3 times if he has "final say". In traditional shanny fashion, he refused to officially comment. Although the last time he did say that while he maintains the right, he has never actually used it.

bendog
01-06-2010, 02:14 PM
I suspect that is right - that he generally had deferred unless there was consensus. The cutler pick was definitely one of consensus

no doubt though that he used to reach, back in the middlebrooks years

worm
01-06-2010, 02:28 PM
I suspect that is right - that he generally had deferred unless there was consensus. The cutler pick was definitely one of consensus

no doubt though that he used to reach, back in the middlebrooks years

The Middlebrooks pick was completely deferred to Gibbs. Mike's biggest issue was that he choose the wrong trusted advisers for much of his time in Denver.

People steering him towards Florida WRs and gimpy Gopher CBs did him a huge disservice. Mike placed his trust in a lot of idiots that talked up their buds or favorite players rather than coldly and critically evaluating their talent.

I think Bruce will do much better.

Hogan11
01-06-2010, 02:38 PM
He'll do as well as Gibbs did in his second stint there....mark that one down.

Taco John
01-06-2010, 02:44 PM
He'll do as well as Gibbs did in his second stint there....mark that one down.

I don't think so. Gibbs had been out of coaching a long time, and had lost touch with the changes in the game since he left.

Taco John
01-06-2010, 02:44 PM
That press conference was hard to watch. Mike Shanahan has been an important role model for me as I grew up.

Hogan11
01-06-2010, 02:46 PM
I don't think so. Gibbs had been out of coaching a long time, and had lost touch with the changes in the game since he left.

Shanahan was fired for a reason. Can't imagine him turning the Skins into something beyond medicore immediately.....or ever considering the owner of that team.

bpc
01-06-2010, 02:47 PM
Washington Redskins 2010 Schedule.
NFC East foes, x 2.

Home:

GB
Minnesota
Houston
Indianapolis
Tampa Bay

Road

Chicago
Detroit
Jacksonville
Tennessee
St. Louis

Looks pretty rough. NFC East will be a knock down drag out affair. Most of their tough games are at home. Relatively easy road schedule.

I think Washington hits 9-7, or 8-8 next year. Really depends on their QB situation though.

bpc
01-06-2010, 02:48 PM
That press conference was hard to watch. Mike Shanahan has been an important role model for me as I grew up.

Ditto.

Taco John
01-06-2010, 02:48 PM
Shanahan was fired for a reason. Can't imagine him turning the Skins into something beyond medicore immediately.....or ever considering the owner of that team.

I would be very suprised if Snyder doesn't take a back seat for at least three years and give Shanahan autonomy to do what he thinks needs to be done.

521 1N5
01-06-2010, 02:49 PM
Nobody else thinks it's funny he's going to the "Redskins"? I mean....The Redskins? lol

_Oro_
01-06-2010, 02:53 PM
I can't imagine Snyder and Shanahan's relationship working out very well. I always got the impression Bowlen and Shanny worked because Bowlen stayed out of the way as much as possible, even to the point of being criticized for being too hands off. While Snyder is known for being the ultimate meddler. Insisting on draft picks is one thing. But like the Al Davis situation in Oakland. When a player can go above his coach to the owner then the coach will never be successful. I hope for Shanny's sake Snyder has learned his lesson and stays out of the picture.

Jens1893
01-06-2010, 02:58 PM
Kinda hard to watch him coach a team not named Denver Broncos.

Missed the inevitable "National Football League" and "football team" comments in this presser.

Good luck, Mike. Wish you all the best.

barryr
01-06-2010, 03:12 PM
The Skins play in a tough conference, so Shanahan needs lots of luck, especially with such a weak o-line.

bpc
01-06-2010, 03:28 PM
I think the OL has some talent. Most of it is injured though and the offensive scheme was clueless.

Personally, i think Shanahan goes best OT on the board at #4 and then lands a young QB in round 2.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
01-06-2010, 04:45 PM
I would be very suprised if Snyder doesn't take a back seat for at least three years and give Shanahan autonomy to do what he thinks needs to be done.

I think he'll give him a year, but when they finish at 7-9 next season, the real Snyder (or "Schneider" as they were saying on NFL Network) will show up.

Hamrob
01-06-2010, 04:58 PM
I think the Oline is the biggest problem. He can fix that in his first offseason. I think the receivers are o.k. for now. The RB's are suspect, unless he can get CP to trim down and regain some of that old speed. Of course the QB is the deal breaker. Cambell has the talent, but can he read defenses well enough and is he a leader?

Shanny is good at patching things together and they will be competitive next year, but the NFC East is going to be tough. They need alot of improvement.

Having said that, I can't think of a better coach to bring in. Shanny is the man!

Taco John
01-06-2010, 04:59 PM
I think he'll give him a year, but when they finish at 7-9 next season, the real Snyder (or "Schneider" as they were saying on NFL Network) will show up.

I really don't think so. I think Shanahan has gone into this situation prepared, knowing exactly how to work positively with Snyder. He will have gone in with a road map and said "this is my plan, here are the mile stones, and here is what we're going to do to hit these mile stones." I think that so long as Snyder felt like he was "bought-in" to the program, he'd stick off to the side. Now if those mile stones slip, and Snyder feels like it's getting away from Shanahan, he might step in. But Snyder has got a huge credibility problem right now with the Redskins fan base, and his actions show that he cares about that (IMO). I really think that he's going to let his football people run the football operations and give Shanahan all the room he needs to work.

Hogan11
01-06-2010, 05:00 PM

Prepared to be surprised then. Snyder has no history of ever having done this since owning the Deadskins. As a result, Shanahan's run in WSN will be roughly the same as Gibbs 2nd time at best and on par with his Oakland run at worst.

rastaman
01-06-2010, 05:06 PM

Champ will going home back to where it all started once Bowlen and McD tell him his salary is too expensive. Bailey will go back to the team that drafted him and he will retire as Redskin and playing for the coach who made him a millionaire several times over.;D

rastaman
01-06-2010, 05:09 PM
Nobody else thinks it's funny he's going to the "Redskins"? I mean....The Redskins? lol

Shanny loves CHALLENGES!:strong:

rastaman
01-06-2010, 05:12 PM

Oh well....thats why you play the game. The Skin fans are getting a tried and true 58 year old veteran HC. Its not like Snyder hired a 30 something year old HC who hasn't proven anything yet.:sunshine:

wandlc
01-06-2010, 05:16 PM
Its interesting that Shanahan will be drafting in the first round for the Redskins. They usually have given away their drafts. He has some good draft spots to work with and I think Allen knows how to draft.

Bronco Yoda
01-06-2010, 05:17 PM
That was strange feeling watching him up their talking about his team 'the Redskins'. It's like when you broke up with your girl and it was really no big deal UNTIL the first time you see her with someone else.

ant1999e
01-06-2010, 06:07 PM

I'm with you. It made me feel a little ****ty.

ant1999e
01-06-2010, 06:08 PM
That was strange feeling watching him up their talking about his team 'the Redskins'. It's like when you broke up with your girl and it was really no big deal UNTIL the first time you see her with someone else.

Exactly.:'(

dsmoot
01-06-2010, 06:31 PM
Champ will going home back to where it all started once Bowlen and McD tell him his salary is too expensive. Bailey will go back to the team that drafted him and he will retire as Redskin and playing for the coach who made him a millionaire several times over.;D

This is a very possible scenario.

strafen
01-06-2010, 06:57 PM
Shanahan: I will do inexplicable things and make some of your heads explode. It will all be clear in time...

:Broncos:Your hate for everything Shanahan and your obsessed
love for McDaniels knows no boundaries...

strafen
01-06-2010, 06:58 PM
Caption:

Shanahan: Mr. Snyder, I feel like sticking it to your team one more time. Have you met Bob Slowik?:wiggle:

That's hilarious... :rofl:

strafen
01-06-2010, 07:00 PM
The race to the play-offs is on!
Who would make the play-offs first, Shanahan or McDaniels?
Stay tuned!

Circle Orange
01-06-2010, 07:21 PM
I tell ya, it's weird in DC...the talking heads are going crazy wondering why fans here don't jump up and dance like chimps over all this. Everyone's taking a 'wait and see' attitude. It's all been done before. And really, the only thing that would make a citywide party is Snyder selling the team. Fans here aren't suckers for Snyder's marketing and convenient photo ops (Redskins park is notorious for leaking so called 'secret' information).

People here know Shanny is a good coach (the yeah, but is tossed in) but there's no history, ergo no real connection. Everyone's cooling their heels and waiting to see when Snyder gets itchy again. There are pools out now on Shanny's tendure:

Full 5 years 12:1
3 years 5:1
1 year 1:1

Gotta admit, it's fun seeing the media go crazy trying to stir the fans up, and it ain't happening.

Archer81
01-06-2010, 07:24 PM
Your hate for everything Shanahan and your obsessed
love for McDaniels knows no boundaries...

Yup. I hate a coach who led Denver to 100+ wins and 2 titles. You will be hard pressed to find anything by me being as negative about our former coach as you are about our current one.

:Broncos:

Maximus
01-06-2010, 07:24 PM
The Redskins have fallen into the Rat Trap! Mediocrity for at least 5 years no playoff victories and worse yet they have to deal with the egomaniacs need to make all the decisions. Sounds like a familiar trend to me. Ratboy has always been overrated and he's cashing in on it.

TonyR
01-06-2010, 07:28 PM
...the only thing that would make a citywide party is Snyder selling the team. Fans here aren't suckers for Snyder's marketing and convenient photo ops...

People here know Shanny is a good coach (the yeah, but is tossed in) but there's no history, ergo no real connection. Everyone's cooling their heels and waiting to see when Snyder gets itchy again. There are pools out now on Shanny's tendure:

Full 5 years 12:1
3 years 5:1
1 year 1:1

Gotta admit, it's fun seeing the media go crazy trying to stir the fans up, and it ain't happening.

You're so right. I know several die hard Skins fans and none of them are very excited. It's nothing against Shanahan, it's more their hatred for, and distrust of, all things Snyder. And Shanahan doesn't have quite the level of respect here in NFC East territory that he may have in other places. They're well aware that he didn't have much playoff success over the last decade.

TonyR
01-06-2010, 07:30 PM
The RB's are suspect, unless he can get CP to trim down and regain some of that old speed.

I wouldn't be surprise if Portis is done in D.C.

SoCalBronco
01-06-2010, 08:03 PM
All the best to Shanny. He's the best we ever had and will ever have.

Good luck to you, Shanny. :thumbsup:

Merlin
01-06-2010, 08:23 PM
He probably is going to fleece Denver of its coaches. McD has shown a clear disinterest in the ZBS of the past, and the coaches here excel in that area. My guess is that at least a couple of assistant coaches on the offense will be gone. If Shanny is smart he will try and get his old GMs. They helped him transform his draft record, and the Redskins have little to show for theirs.

_Oro_
01-06-2010, 08:31 PM
He probably is going to fleece Denver of its coaches. McD has shown a clear disinterest in the ZBS of the past, and the coaches here excel in that area. My guess is that at least a couple of assistant coaches on the offense will be gone. If Shanny is smart he will try and get his old GMs. They helped him transform his draft record, and the Redskins have little to show for theirs.

Speaking of the Goodmans. Anyone know what they are up to these days?

24champ
01-06-2010, 08:37 PM
I felt a little sad seeing Shanny up there wearing different colors and calling the Redskins his team.
Just awlward.

montrose
01-06-2010, 09:01 PM
I'm intrigued to see how much Shanny's changed with his firing and year away from the game. If I see Nate Jackson and John Engleberger as his first signings, I'll just laugh. I think he'll bring some stability to the organization but I wonder if Snyder has grown as an owner or if he'll pull the plug quickly as he has with other coaches in the past.

Florida_Bronco
01-06-2010, 09:01 PM

He can only logically take one from us. Only Turner and Dennison remain and since he apparently wants to bring his son Kyle in as his OC he doesn't really have a spot to promote them to outside of Assistant Head Coach. Again, logically speaking, only Dennison would work there since Turner hasn't made the progression to OC yet.

That of course assumes that we want to keep either one. There is a chance we let them go on their merry way.

bpc
01-06-2010, 09:13 PM
I fully expect Turner to be in Washington next year. I'm not sure about Dennison.

montrose
01-06-2010, 09:15 PM
He can only logically take one from us. Only Turner and Dennison remain and since he apparently wants to bring his son Kyle in as his OC he doesn't really have a spot to promote them to outside of Assistant Head Coach. Again, logically speaking, only Dennison would work there since Turner hasn't made the progression to OC yet.

That of course assumes that we want to keep either one. There is a chance we let them go on their merry way.

Shanny's good for promoting guys in title so if he wants them, and they want to go, it'll happen. I think it might be for the best as Dennison and Turner (to my knowledge) never really taught a man-blocking scheme or heavy route running from the RB spot. This would allow McD to bring in "his guys" to complete the staff and with (hopefully) an influx of interior OL better suited to play that style - we'd be moving more in the direction of doing what McD was brought here to do instead of bringing in a new HC to run a style of his predecessor.

Merlin
01-06-2010, 09:16 PM
There is a chance we let them go on their merry way.
That is my working assumption. They don't suit McD's philosophy, and he has shown that he rather change the strengths of the team to meet his biases, rather than build on them. He is almost a Bates on the offensive side of the ball...although I think he is smarter than papa Bates, but for some reason his play-calling has become very pedestrian. I had high hopes he would be able to exploit the team's strength's, but everything suggests the contrary.

Florida_Bronco
01-06-2010, 10:02 PM
Shanny's good for promoting guys in title

I agree, but he's only got so many positions he can stick them in. If he brings in Kyle as his OC then he basically only has the Assistant HC/Offense moniker to use. He could use that on Turner, but how well would that sit with the other coaches when Turner has never been an OC on this level? At least Dennison (who I really don't care about) is a logical progression.

On a side note, if Shanny starts building his staff that way I can already see that he probably hasn't learned much since getting canned. The "too many cooks in the kitchen" was a major complaint during his time here from people in the know and I'd hate to see him make those same mistakes in Washington.

BroncoMan4ever
01-06-2010, 10:27 PM
Caption:

END THREAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Hilarious!Hilarious!Hilarious! Hilarious!

hambone13
01-07-2010, 12:07 AM
I agree, but he's only got so many positions he can stick them in. If he brings in Kyle as his OC then he basically only has the Assistant HC/Offense moniker to use. He could use that on Turner, but how well would that sit with the other coaches when Turner has never been an OC on this level? At least Dennison (who I really don't care about) is a logical progression.

On a side note, if Shanny starts building his staff that way I can already see that he probably hasn't learned much since getting canned. The "too many cooks in the kitchen" was a major complaint during his time here from people in the know and I'd hate to see him make those same mistakes in Washington.

I would be surprised if Shanny hasn't learned something during his golfing/training camp tour of the league. He's a pretty smart cat. I would imagine he has done some valuable self reflection and is poising himself for some change of habits. It can't be easy to not be afraid for your job and act as though you are afraid in your capacity to change.

fontaine
01-07-2010, 08:24 AM
The redskins got a solid coach. It all depends on how Mike handles the defense. You expect him to get the offense improved but if he hasn't changed the way he handles the defensive side of things then the skin's are in for a long couple of seasons.