PDA

View Full Version : Weis unlikely to land with Bears, Chiefs likely

Rulon Velvet Jones
01-06-2010, 12:05 PM
http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com/2010/01/charlie-weis-unlikely-to-land-with-bears.html

Charlie Weis unlikely to land with Bears
January 6, 2010 11:40 AM | 7 Comments
By Dan Pompei
One candidate for the Bears' offensive coordinator job who likely can be crossed off the list is Charlie Weis.

The former Notre Dame coach is far along in his discussions to join the Chiefs, and probably will become the offensive coordinator for Todd Haley soon.

It is possible that Weis could resurface as a candidate for the Bears job if talks broke off with the Chiefs, but a source close to the situation said no one expects that to happen.

The leading candidate for the Bears' position at this point could be USC assistant head coach/quarterbacks coach Jeremy Bates. While in Denver, Bates was Jay Cutler's quarterbacks coach.

jhat01
01-06-2010, 12:20 PM
Scotty P is trying to recapture past glory..Romeo will be along for the ride as well. They'll still need more talent, but that crew knows how to be coordinators.

bendog
01-06-2010, 12:20 PM
It'll be Bates. I wonder if Dennison will end up there or in Wash or in Hou. Most likely the latter. Bobby Turner will be interesting too. I can't see McDaniels wanting these guys around, esp Dennison after McDaniels publically criticized the oline.

Broncoman13
01-06-2010, 12:50 PM
Dennison is a one trick pony. A good coach but he came up as a LB, the STs coach and eventually learned the ZBS from Alex Gibbs. When Gibbs departed he was able to take over the OL due to his familiarity with the system. Not sure you can count on him to implement a traditional approach though I can't say that with certainty. I am of the opinion that he would be best suited sticking with what he knows which will likely be in Houston, Washington, or perhaps even Green Bay.

bendog
01-06-2010, 01:14 PM
Dennison's likely to be hou's OC to replace Kyle. Even assuming McDaniels would try to block it, an OC gig is a step up from what he was left with after Shanny got fired. Best for both franchises anyway. McDaniel's lost this team, and he needs to bring in his own staff. orton's his guy, for better or worse. A head coach can't call out his oline, esp when the RT, LG and C are messed up, and expect to keep the old oline coach. That's a recipe for dissention.

Shanny loves Turner, and Turner is content to just be a rb coach. I'd expect McDaniels will let him go too ... unless he's just being a jerk

dbfan21
01-06-2010, 01:18 PM
Dennison is a one trick pony. A good coach but he came up as a LB, the STs coach and eventually learned the ZBS from Alex Gibbs. When Gibbs departed he was able to take over the OL due to his familiarity with the system. Not sure you can count on him to implement a traditional approach though I can't say that with certainty. I am of the opinion that he would be best suited sticking with what he knows which will likely be in Houston, Washington, or perhaps even Green Bay.

This. I'd be really surprised to see Dennison back for all the reasons you just stated. Solid take!!

richpjr
01-06-2010, 01:23 PM
Romeo and Weiss are a very good set of coordinators.

ZachKC
01-06-2010, 01:24 PM
Romeo and Weiss are a very good set of coordinators.

http://www.wichitakansas.org/user/image/kansas_city_chiefs_article(1).jpg

TonyR
01-06-2010, 01:25 PM
Weis is exactly what Cutler needed, somebody who would get in his face and actually coach him. But it probably wouldn't have worked out so better for all involved...

Traveler
01-06-2010, 01:33 PM
Weis is exactly what Cutler needed, somebody who would get in his face and actually coach him. But it probably wouldn't have worked out so better for all involved...

That's what I said about JMFMcD and Cutler.:wiggle: