PDA

View Full Version : Snyder picks Shanahan to take pressure off

bloodsunday
01-06-2010, 09:30 AM
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/12747104/snyder-picks-shanahan-to-take-pressure-off

Good luck, Mike Shanahan. You're going to need it.

The new head coach of the Redskins might put Washington back on the NFL map, but I don't know that he puts the Redskins back in the playoffs, and here's why: While he overcame the competition in the AFC West and twice won the Super Bowl, I don't see how he overcomes his new owner.

Mike Shanahan will need a decent QB to get some wins in D.C. (US Presswire) I'm talking, of course, about Daniel Snyder.

Norv Turner couldn't do it. Marty Schottenheimer couldn't do it. Steve Spurrier couldn't do it. Heck, even Hall of Fame coach Joe Gibbs couldn't do it.

Think about that: Gibbs was 30-34 in four seasons under Snyder, and that's not Hall of Fame worthy. But it's Daniel Snyder worthy. Only two coaches in Snyder's 11 years as owner have had winning seasons: Gibbs was one of them, Turner was the other.

So why should Shanahan break the trend? Because, Snyder supporters will contend, The Daniel has learned his lesson and will not be as meddlesome and as manipulative as he was in the past when he had acting GM Vinny Cerrato to push around. Cerrato is gone, and Bruce Allen has taken his place, and Snyder will do what he couldn't when Cerrato was there -- which is to leave Allen and Shanahan alone.

At least, that is the plan.

But how does Snyder leave anyone alone when he hasn't in the past? Ah, say his supporters, but he hasn't had a Shanahan before. But he had Schottenheimer, and quick question: Who won more games, Schottenheimer or Shanahan? It is Schottenheimer. And who has the better winning percentage? Sorry, it's Schottenheimer again. Yet the Redskins were 8-8 in his only season in Washington.

Snyder had Gibbs, too, and his return was supposed to bring back the glory years of the 1980s when Washington went to three Super Bowls, winning two. Only it didn't. Gibbs had two winning seasons in four years with Snyder and left after tiring of mediocrity.

So if Gibbs and Schottenheimer couldn't win -- and if one of college football's most successful head coaches, Spurrier, couldn't win -- what's to say things should be different now? Again, Snyder supporters respond that the environment is different and that he will defer all football decisions to football people -- meaning Shanahan and Allen.

Except he deferred all football decisions in 2001 to Schottenheimer. At least, that was the idea after Schottenheimer canned Cerrato. And that didn't work out so well.

Now it's Shanahan who has complete authority, just as Schottenheimer did when he arrived on the scene. People close to the club tell me that Shanahan would not have taken the job if he didn't have the run of the place and that Allen serves more as a consultant than a GM.

Uh-oh.

Shanahan is a good head coach, he is not a good GM. It was Mike Shanahan the GM who got Mike Shanahan the head coach fired in Denver, and if you don't believe me, check out the team's recent draft deliveries when the Broncos had to do something, anything to bail out a defense that couldn't stop San Diego.

They drafted Jarvis Moss. Bust. They drafted Tim Crowder. Another bust. Marcus Thomas. Strike three. They made their first defensive pick in the 2008 draft some cornerback named Jack Williams, and you can circle the bases, fellas. Granted, I'll give you Elvis Dumervil, but he didn't become an elite pass rusher until Shanahan left town and Mike Nolan moved him to linebacker in a 3-4 defense.

Anyway, the point is the Broncos didn't help themselves where they needed it most, and the reason is because Shanahan is not a GM, he's a head coach. In fact, he's one of the best in the business. But I've already seen what two of the best in the business have done in Washington, and it wasn't much.

I have enormous respect for Shanahan. I covered him when he was the offensive coordinator in San Francisco, and the 49ers won a Super Bowl. I followed him when he took the Broncos to the top, too, winning back-to-back Lombardi Trophies.

Shanahan knows how to put points on the board, and that will satisfy a lot of angry season ticket-holders in Washington. He knows how to win, too. But Spurrier had that reputation when he arrived in Washington, and he fizzled. And Gibbs parlayed that reputation into a bust in Canton, and he floundered, too.

Some people will tell you it's because they had Snyder as their GM, and I don't necessarily disagree. And now that Snyder presumably retires to the background -- though I don't know that he's up to playing second banana to anyone -- there are supposed to be fewer obstacles to navigate.

Only tell that to Schottenheimer. When he was the head coach, he had players running to Snyder to tattle on their head coach.

So good luck, Mike, you have a minefield to run. First of all, you're not cut out to be a GM. You're a coach, and a damned good one. Second, you don't have a franchise quarterback. You have Jason Campbell, provided he sticks around, and we all know what your record was without John Elway -- you won one playoff game.

People tell me that's OK -- that Shanahan will spend Washington's first pick of the draft on a quarterback and will sit him a season behind a veteran -- maybe Campbell if the Redskins can convince him to stay. But the last franchise quarterback Shanahan drafted was none other than Jay Cutler, and new Denver coach Josh McDaniels thought so much of the guy he couldn't wait to trade him to Chicago, where he led the league in interceptions and sank the Bears.

Cutler fans say, yeah, well, it would've been different if Shanahan were his head coach, and I say, it would? He was 17-20 under Shanahan and never had a winning season in Denver. For that matter, he hasn't had a winning season anywhere since high school.

So there you have it, Washington. A new head coach with terrific credentials, but not as a GM. Yet he'll have complete authority over personnel, which takes the heat off Snyder -- and, frankly, that's what this hire is all about. Snyder wants to get out of the line of fire, and who can blame him. He makes such an easy target. So he puts Shanahan in his place, and be careful what you wish for, Mike.

ScottXray
01-06-2010, 09:39 AM
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/12747104/snyder-picks-shanahan-to-take-pressure-off

Good luck, Mike Shanahan. You're going to need it.

The new head coach of the Redskins might put Washington back on the NFL map, but I don't know that he puts the Redskins back in the playoffs, and here's why: While he overcame the competition in the AFC West and twice won the Super Bowl, I don't see how he overcomes his new owner.

Mike Shanahan will need a decent QB to get some wins in D.C. (US Presswire) I'm talking, of course, about Daniel Snyder.

Norv Turner couldn't do it. Marty Schottenheimer couldn't do it. Steve Spurrier couldn't do it. Heck, even Hall of Fame coach Joe Gibbs couldn't do it.

Think about that: Gibbs was 30-34 in four seasons under Snyder, and that's not Hall of Fame worthy. But it's Daniel Snyder worthy. Only two coaches in Snyder's 11 years as owner have had winning seasons: Gibbs was one of them, Turner was the other.

So why should Shanahan break the trend? Because, Snyder supporters will contend, The Daniel has learned his lesson and will not be as meddlesome and as manipulative as he was in the past when he had acting GM Vinny Cerrato to push around. Cerrato is gone, and Bruce Allen has taken his place, and Snyder will do what he couldn't when Cerrato was there -- which is to leave Allen and Shanahan alone.

At least, that is the plan.

But how does Snyder leave anyone alone when he hasn't in the past? Ah, say his supporters, but he hasn't had a Shanahan before. But he had Schottenheimer, and quick question: Who won more games, Schottenheimer or Shanahan? It is Schottenheimer. And who has the better winning percentage? Sorry, it's Schottenheimer again. Yet the Redskins were 8-8 in his only season in Washington.

Snyder had Gibbs, too, and his return was supposed to bring back the glory years of the 1980s when Washington went to three Super Bowls, winning two. Only it didn't. Gibbs had two winning seasons in four years with Snyder and left after tiring of mediocrity.

So if Gibbs and Schottenheimer couldn't win -- and if one of college football's most successful head coaches, Spurrier, couldn't win -- what's to say things should be different now? Again, Snyder supporters respond that the environment is different and that he will defer all football decisions to football people -- meaning Shanahan and Allen.

Except he deferred all football decisions in 2001 to Schottenheimer. At least, that was the idea after Schottenheimer canned Cerrato. And that didn't work out so well.

Now it's Shanahan who has complete authority, just as Schottenheimer did when he arrived on the scene. People close to the club tell me that Shanahan would not have taken the job if he didn't have the run of the place and that Allen serves more as a consultant than a GM.

Uh-oh.

Shanahan is a good head coach, he is not a good GM. It was Mike Shanahan the GM who got Mike Shanahan the head coach fired in Denver, and if you don't believe me, check out the team's recent draft deliveries when the Broncos had to do something, anything to bail out a defense that couldn't stop San Diego.

They drafted Jarvis Moss. Bust. They drafted Tim Crowder. Another bust. Marcus Thomas. Strike three. They made their first defensive pick in the 2008 draft some cornerback named Jack Williams, and you can circle the bases, fellas. Granted, I'll give you Elvis Dumervil, but he didn't become an elite pass rusher until Shanahan left town and Mike Nolan moved him to linebacker in a 3-4 defense.

Anyway, the point is the Broncos didn't help themselves where they needed it most, and the reason is because Shanahan is not a GM, he's a head coach. In fact, he's one of the best in the business. But I've already seen what two of the best in the business have done in Washington, and it wasn't much.

I have enormous respect for Shanahan. I covered him when he was the offensive coordinator in San Francisco, and the 49ers won a Super Bowl. I followed him when he took the Broncos to the top, too, winning back-to-back Lombardi Trophies.

Shanahan knows how to put points on the board, and that will satisfy a lot of angry season ticket-holders in Washington. He knows how to win, too. But Spurrier had that reputation when he arrived in Washington, and he fizzled. And Gibbs parlayed that reputation into a bust in Canton, and he floundered, too.

Some people will tell you it's because they had Snyder as their GM, and I don't necessarily disagree. And now that Snyder presumably retires to the background -- though I don't know that he's up to playing second banana to anyone -- there are supposed to be fewer obstacles to navigate.

Only tell that to Schottenheimer. When he was the head coach, he had players running to Snyder to tattle on their head coach.

So good luck, Mike, you have a minefield to run. First of all, you're not cut out to be a GM. You're a coach, and a damned good one. Second, you don't have a franchise quarterback. You have Jason Campbell, provided he sticks around, and we all know what your record was without John Elway -- you won one playoff game.

People tell me that's OK -- that Shanahan will spend Washington's first pick of the draft on a quarterback and will sit him a season behind a veteran -- maybe Campbell if the Redskins can convince him to stay. But the last franchise quarterback Shanahan drafted was none other than Jay Cutler, and new Denver coach Josh McDaniels thought so much of the guy he couldn't wait to trade him to Chicago, where he led the league in interceptions and sank the Bears.

Cutler fans say, yeah, well, it would've been different if Shanahan were his head coach, and I say, it would? He was 17-20 under Shanahan and never had a winning season in Denver. For that matter, he hasn't had a winning season anywhere since high school.

So there you have it, Washington. A new head coach with terrific credentials, but not as a GM. Yet he'll have complete authority over personnel, which takes the heat off Snyder -- and, frankly, that's what this hire is all about. Snyder wants to get out of the line of fire, and who can blame him. He makes such an easy target. So he puts Shanahan in his place, and be careful what you wish for, Mike.

Looks like this writer frequents the Bronco boards. He is pretty up on Shanny.

Crushaholic
01-06-2010, 09:42 AM
Good article. Redskins fans and Bears fans may have something in common, next season. Bears fans were giddy about Cutler, and we all saw the results. When Shanahan was fired, I was convinced that the game had passed him by. I still feel that way, and I don't really expect much from him in Washington...and in the brutal NFC East...

Garcia Bronco
01-06-2010, 09:45 AM
Bruce Allen is a good GM and Shanahan is a great coach. Teh REdskins will return to the top. Bank on it.

TheDave
01-06-2010, 09:46 AM
One thing I am looking forward too is Philly and Dallas fan bitching up a storm about Washintons "Dirty" offensive line...

I hate Philly and dallas fan... hell that right there is enough to root for Shanny.

As for the game passing him by. Sorry, I don't see it.

gunns
01-06-2010, 09:48 AM
Who won more games, Schottenheimer or Shanahan? It is Schottenheimer. And who has the better winning percentage? Sorry, it's Schottenheimer again. Yet the Redskins were 8-8 in his only season in Washington.

Uh dude, Schotty's winning percentage is .278, Shanahan's is .667. Of course Schotty won more games, he was a head coach longer than Shanahan.

tsiguy96
01-06-2010, 09:51 AM
Uh dude, Schotty's winning percentage is .278, Shanahan's is .667. Of course Schotty won more games, he was a head coach longer than Shanahan.

schottenheimer: .613
shanahan: .598

not sure why you think schotty only won 1/4 games....

WolfpackGuy
01-06-2010, 09:52 AM
But he had Schottenheimer, and quick question: Who won more games, Schottenheimer or Shanahan? It is Schottenheimer. And who has the better winning percentage? Sorry, it's Schottenheimer again.

Who lost 3 first round games as the number 1 seed?
Who has never appeared in a Super Bowl without a ticket?

Sorry, it's Schottenheimer.

Snyder must've promised to stay out of the way.

I couldn't see Shanahan dealing with a meddlesome owner.

Other than the Schottenheimer stuff, good read.

Pool
01-06-2010, 09:54 AM
Let Shanny play for awhile in DC then come back to the Broncos in a front office capacity.

tsiguy96
01-06-2010, 09:55 AM
Let Shanny play for awhile in DC then come back to the Broncos in a front office capacity.

you understand this entire article is about how pathetic a GM shanahan is, right? so, knowing that, you want him to come back in FO role anyway

Pool
01-06-2010, 10:03 AM
you understand this entire article is about how pathetic a GM shanahan is, right? so, knowing that, you want him to come back in FO role anyway

How good of a GM were you for Denver ???

Keep saying: Let him do what he wants in coaching for awhile then see if he wants to work in some capacity with the front office. He`s got a new house in Denver so its obvious he wants to stay in the area.

I`ll never criticize a coach that brought 2 Super Bowl trophies to Denver.

MplsBronco
01-06-2010, 10:08 AM

That's a little harsh on Marty when he was denied by the Duke so many times. I've always thought Marty is a good coach, just couldn't get over the hump.

bloodsunday
01-06-2010, 10:16 AM
Bruce Allen is a good GM and Shanahan is a great coach. Teh REdskins will return to the top. Bank on it.

Actually the arrangement is similar to what Denver had with Sundquist and Shanahan. Remember how that turned out for Sundquist? Shanahan is the man in charger there -- no doubt. That means personnel decisions will be highly influenced by him, and he has FINAL say on everything "football related".

bloodsunday
01-06-2010, 10:19 AM

Well how many of those games did Marty line up with John Elway at QB?

I'm not a Shanahan hater AT ALL. Quite the opposite (sans the GM stuff). But I am honest enough to admit the run we had in the late 90's was more than Shanahan's "genius". It was a perfect storm of Shanahan, Elway, drafting TD, a dominant OL, and an aggressive D that complimented the O. Once the recipe was broken, Shanahan was never able to rekindle it. Frankly he never got close with only 1 division title and 1 playoff win in a decade.

bloodsunday
01-06-2010, 10:22 AM
An interesting respective in all this is how much does Shanahan change? He did all the right things this offseason: studied the best units in the league, visited Pats and Steeler camps, visited Florida, etc.... He did some things that he had a chance to do as an outsider and somethings he never had time to do under the 100hr/week job as Broncos Coach/GM/VP.

I personally think Shanahan is bright enough to evolve and learn from his last decade in Denver. If he does, then maybe he can turn Washington around. If he doesn't, then they are headed for mediocrity IMO.

lostknight
01-06-2010, 10:42 AM
Owners are meddlesome when you can't get them to buy into what you want to do. If they do buy in, then they are supportive.

simple as that.

ScottXray
01-06-2010, 10:45 AM
An interesting respective in all this is how much does Shanahan change? He did all the right things this offseason: studied the best units in the league, visited Pats and Steeler camps, visited Florida, etc.... He did some things that he had a chance to do as an outsider and somethings he never had time to do under the 100hr/week job as Broncos Coach/GM/VP.

I personally think Shanahan is bright enough to evolve and learn from his last decade in Denver. If he does, then maybe he can turn Washington around. If he doesn't, then they are headed for mediocrity IMO.

I agree that he did the right things this off season....but it is really hard to
break old habits over a LONG period of time. Eventually he will drift back into
them, especially if he isn't able to generate a quick turnaround...

So look for him to institute a lot of changes quickly to try to get back to playoff football soon. If that doesn't happen it could get ugly in three years.

tsiguy96
01-06-2010, 10:46 AM
How good of a GM were you for Denver ???

Keep saying: Let him do what he wants in coaching for awhile then see if he wants to work in some capacity with the front office. He`s got a new house in Denver so its obvious he wants to stay in the area.

I`ll never criticize a coach that brought 2 Super Bowl trophies to Denver.

when did i ever claim i was better?

everyone deserves criticism, its unfair to criticize some but not others based on previous achievements. shanahan failed in the GM department for most of his career, you are supposed to ignore that becasue before he was GM he won 2 SBs here?

TheReverend
01-06-2010, 12:22 PM
Does this signify the end of the Turner RB era in Denver? What about Dennison?

tsiguy96
01-06-2010, 12:26 PM

dennison likely is (and probably should) go to texans to be OC. great fit there. turner no idea.

Taco John
01-06-2010, 12:27 PM

What a troll.

tsiguy96
01-06-2010, 12:30 PM
What a troll.

sorry, shall i make a gutless drunk thread and talk about how pathetic our owner is and what a joke this franchise has become? im sure that will be more "realistic" right?

Taco John
01-06-2010, 12:31 PM
By the way. I don't really think you're a troll. But I think you do the same thing that people complain about others doing - which is being really douchebaggy in your negativity.

Taco John
01-06-2010, 12:32 PM
sorry, shall i make a gutless drunk thread and talk about how pathetic our owner is and what a joke this franchise has become? im sure that will be more "realistic" right?

It might be. I guess that remains to be seen.

Let's hope not.

I've got as many hopes about Josh as I've got doubts about him, but either way, I'm already excited to see how he bounces back and what happens with the team. I love watching people learn from experience.

Tombstone RJ
01-06-2010, 12:45 PM
Shanny will probably hire the Goodmens to scout. Between Allen, him and the Goodmens, you'd think he could put together some decent drafts.

I won't be suprised if Turner leaves for DC too. It might be a lateral move for Turner, but he'll probably get a raise and he knows what Shanny wants out of a RB.

tsiguy96
01-06-2010, 12:46 PM
Shanny will probably hire the Goodmens to scout. Between Allen, him and the Goodmens, you'd think he could put together some decent drafts.

I won't be suprised if Turner leaves for DC too. It might be a lateral move for Turner, but he'll probably get a raise and he knows what Shanny wants out of a RB.

just a guess, but at this point in turners career i would assume hes very happy where he is at, with little incentive to move to DC.

DrFate
01-06-2010, 12:49 PM

I think if Snyder actually lets Allen get the cap stuff straight - the Skins will be a very solid organization with this duo at the helm. No idea why anyone would think different.

Florida_Bronco
01-06-2010, 01:41 PM

Hard to say. If Turner is still under contract then Shanny would have to give him a promotion (unlikely since he apparently wants his son to be the OC) to pull him away from us. The only other way Turner ends up in Washington is if we let him go.

Dennison I couldn't care less about.

bloodsunday
01-06-2010, 01:45 PM

They are both under contract as Bronco assistants. To leave, either Denver has to give them permission, or they have to get promotions. Dennison is rumored to be in the hopper as the new OC in Houston now that Kyle Shanahan is gone. If Dennison is offered the OC job, Denver can't do much as it would be a promotion.

TheReverend
01-06-2010, 03:19 PM
They are both under contract as Bronco assistants. To leave, either Denver has to give them permission, or they have to get promotions. Dennison is rumored to be in the hopper as the new OC in Houston now that Kyle Shanahan is gone. If Dennison is offered the OC job, Denver can't do much as it would be a promotion.

Hard to say. If Turner is still under contract then Shanny would have to give him a promotion (unlikely since he apparently wants his son to be the OC) to pull him away from us. The only other way Turner ends up in Washington is if we let him go.

Dennison I couldn't care less about.

I'm aware of the rules and of Kyle becoming OC. But you're still both wrong. Or have the two of you have ignored how Shanahan's been stealing assistants by naming them "assistant Head coach", "assistant offensive coordinator of the running game" for a decade then?

Taco John
01-06-2010, 03:46 PM
I'm aware of the rules and of Kyle becoming OC. But you're still both wrong. Or have the two of you have ignored how Shanahan's been stealing assistants by naming them "assistant Head coach", "assistant offensive coordinator of the running game" for a decade then?

Yeah, I was thinking the exact same thing.

colonelbeef
01-06-2010, 03:47 PM

I'm not a Shanahan hater AT ALL. Quite the opposite (sans the GM stuff). But I am honest enough to admit the run we had in the late 90's was more than Shanahan's "genius". It was a perfect storm of Shanahan, Elway, drafting TD, a dominant OL, and an aggressive D that complimented the O. Once the recipe was broken, Shanahan was never able to rekindle it. Frankly he never got close with only 1 division title and 1 playoff win in a decade.

How many playoff games did Shanahan lose to Peyton (best QB in the league) Manning?

goes both ways. Shanahan was good without Elway, he just had the Colts, Steelers, and Pats to deal with, with a short deck

Mr.Meanie
01-06-2010, 04:18 PM

Did you just make those numbers up?

DBroncos4life
01-06-2010, 04:24 PM

So Marty is a good coach till he has to face a good QB in the playoffs? Hate to break it to you but more often then not you will face a good QB in the playoffs.

tsiguy96
01-06-2010, 04:25 PM
By the way. I don't really think you're a troll. But I think you do the same thing that people complain about others doing - which is being really douchebaggy in your negativity.

for calling people out for being excessively and annoyingly wrong about everything? to the idiots like rasta, bpc, and jhns who have no concept of how to run or build a football team but feel they are still qualified to tell others who have been in the business for YEARS that they are wrong? to people like you who spent teh entire offseason bitching about how this season would be a waste and awful etc etc without giving the coach any chance to prove you wrong (and in most cases he did)?

yea, they dont deserve to be called out at all, its perfectly acceptable that tehy go around calling people homers and personally attacking any "koolaid drinking homer" they can because they are realists, right?

idiot

DBroncos4life
01-06-2010, 04:39 PM
I love how posters (tsiguy) get upset with Taco for allowing "negative fans" to stay on the Omane then go on to show no respect for Taco at all over and over again. If Taco doesn't ban posters that show nothing but disrespect for him why should he ban people that you don't agree with?

TheDave
01-06-2010, 04:48 PM
I love how posters (tsiguy) get upset with Taco for allowing "negative fans" to stay on the Omane then go on to show no respect for Taco at all over and over again. If Taco doesn't ban posters that show nothing but disrespect for him why should he ban people that you don't agree with?

Listen you stupid **** he's just trying to be positive. Unfortunately every time he and his ilk attempt at being ****ing happy some other asshole comes in and rains on their parade with some horse **** opinion of their own. Hell everyday he is forced to completely loose his **** in 10 different threads, because some inbred ****tard has an opinion. The man just wants to spread the mother****ing cheer. Just because our team started off like a rocket then proceeded to completely **** the bed for the next 10 games... there is no room for any opinion that does not meet Cheapasscarguy's stamp of approval.

Now go get happy you Idiot!!!

DBroncos4life
01-06-2010, 04:50 PM
Listen you stupid **** he's just trying to be positive. Unfortunately every time he and his ilk attempt at being ****ing happy some other a-hole comes in and rains on their parade with some horse **** opinion of their own. Hell everyday he is forced to completely loose his **** in 10 different threads, because some inbred ****tard has an opinion. The man just wants to spread the mother****ing cheer. Just because our team started off like a rocket then proceeded to completely **** the bed for the next 10 games... there is no room for any opinion that does not meet Cheapasscarguy's stamp of approval.

Dude I so hope I make it to a black out round with your punk ass!!!!

TheReverend
01-06-2010, 04:51 PM
Listen you stupid **** he's just trying to be positive. Unfortunately every time he and his ilk attempt at being ****ing happy some other a-hole comes in and rains on their parade with some horse **** opinion of their own. Hell everyday he is forced to completely loose his **** in 10 different threads, because some inbred ****tard has an opinion. The man just wants to spread the mother****ing cheer. Just because our team started off like a rocket then proceeded to completely **** the bed for the next 10 games... there is no room for any opinion that does not meet Cheapasscarguy's stamp of approval.

Post of the Year.

I hate sigs, but right now I'm extremely frustrated that they're gone because this would be mine already.

elsid13
01-06-2010, 04:51 PM

You have moved up one position in the Super Fan rankings. Right below Doob the dog boy and right above Pez the wine cooler lover.

Taco John
01-06-2010, 04:53 PM

:rofl:

tsiguy96
01-06-2010, 04:59 PM

are you really this ****ing stupid? being negative is one thing, trolling the forum like broncofan7 making sure that everyone knows that mcd orton and bowlen are ****ing failures at life and should be executed is something completely different. how is this not completely obvious to you?

Taco John
01-06-2010, 05:00 PM
Pegged him, didn't ya...

Hamrob
01-06-2010, 05:11 PM
Do you think that Bowlen will let Turner go? I'm not so sure.

gunns
01-06-2010, 05:17 PM
schottenheimer: .613
shanahan: .598

not sure why you think schotty only won 1/4 games....

Sorry, that was the post season winning record.

Hell, that's more important anyway!

rastaman
01-06-2010, 05:21 PM
Good article. Redskins fans and Bears fans may have something in common, next season. Bears fans were giddy about Cutler, and we all saw the results. When Shanahan was fired, I was convinced that the game had passed him by. I still feel that way, and I don't really expect much from him in Washington...and in the brutal NFC East...

Well for what its worth "We" fans were all giddy over the hiring of McD and got really giddy, overly optimistic, and enbolden when McD and Orton led us to 6-0. But hell we all saw the results. Even our new HC has proven that he hasn't caught up with the X's and O's on Sunday It could very well be, that the Raiders and Chiefs may have very well over taken and become better than our Broncos. Could it be while McD is building our team in his image it may require us Broncos fans to come in last place a few years in order to get those great 1st round picks. How else will McD build his Dynasty.:sunshine:

tsiguy96
01-06-2010, 05:26 PM
Well for what its worth "We" fans were all giddy over the hiring of McD and got really giddy, overly optimistic, and enbolden when McD and Orton led us to 6-0. But hell we all saw the results. Even our new HC has proven that he hasn't caught up with the X's and O's on Sunday It could very well be, that the Raiders and Chiefs may have very well over taken and become better than our Broncos. Could it be while McD is building our team in his image it may require us Broncos fans to come in last place a few years in order to get those great 1st round picks. How else will McD build his Dynasty.:sunshine:

http://justshireen.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/srsly-405142.jpg

DBroncos4life
01-06-2010, 05:34 PM
are you really this ****ing stupid? being negative is one thing, trolling the forum like broncofan7 making sure that everyone knows that mcd orton and bowlen are ****ing failures at life and should be executed is something completely different. how is this not completely obvious to you?

How is that any different from you taking pot shots at the owner of this site when ever you get the chance? You remind me of this guy that used to crash our parties and complain about the people there. Get the **** out of here if you don't like it.

bolthead123
01-06-2010, 07:38 PM

This is one of the best posts i've read on any forum.
Wow... just wow.

Merlin
01-06-2010, 08:42 PM
This is truly interesting CR@P. Each time Shanny got to the playoffs he faced PM, or the eventual SB region. Yet every ignoramus on this planet commenting on his record post Elway always brings up the playoffs. Considering the QBs he had, and who he faced, it is amazing he actually got one team to reach the conference finals. Marty on the other hand had some pretty powerful teams, and they all failed, including SD.

bpc
01-06-2010, 08:49 PM
for calling people out for being excessively and annoyingly wrong about everything? to the idiots like rasta, bpc, and jhns who have no concept of how to run or build a football team but feel they are still qualified to tell others who have been in the business for YEARS that they are wrong? to people like you who spent teh entire offseason b****ing about how this season would be a waste and awful etc etc without giving the coach any chance to prove you wrong (and in most cases he did)?

yea, they dont deserve to be called out at all, its perfectly acceptable that tehy go around calling people homers and personally attacking any "koolaid drinking homer" they can because they are realists, right?

idiot

Hey, that's funny. I've actually been part of a professional football league team and worked as a college scouting director. During my three years in the AFL, my teams went to the playoffs all three years and won the Arena Bowl once.

But good call jackass. You know more than all of us combined about how to build a winning franchise.

ha ha. I love Styguy. He makes **** so easy.

Merlin
01-06-2010, 08:53 PM

Priceless.

Rev,
I think they are gone because they don't seem to follow McD's philosophy. Dennison did a great job with the OL last yr, but it is not clear whether he can coach the OL the way McD wants. The same might be true of our RB coach. So McD, in his infinite wisdom might just give them the out so that he can bring in coaches that "better" meet his needs. My guess is that we will be losing some of out better coaches on the offensive side of the ball, because they are fairly useless to McD.

Merlin
01-06-2010, 08:55 PM
I love Styguy. He makes **** so easy.
Was he born in 96?

Tombstone RJ
01-06-2010, 09:02 PM

:yayaya:Hilarious!

DBroncos4life
01-06-2010, 09:13 PM
Was he born in 96?

Well he became a hardcore Broncos fan in 2004 so that is possible.

TheReverend
01-06-2010, 09:25 PM
How is that any different from you taking pot shots at the owner of this site when ever you get the chance? You remind me of this guy that used to crash our parties and complain about the people there. Get the **** out of here if you don't like it.

Now they'd rather complain about it through rep comments, usercps, make threads, etc, and not leave.

"Anyone know where the GOOD Broncos forum is?" followed by a myriad of "When you find it let me know!" posts... and they're all still right here...

Florida_Bronco
01-06-2010, 09:30 PM
I'm aware of the rules and of Kyle becoming OC. But you're still both wrong. Sorry Rev, but I think we got it covered.

Let's see. Can Turner and/or Dennison leave with a promotion? Check.

Can they also leave if we give them permission or fire them? Check.

Any other way for them to end up in Washington? Not that I can see.

Or have the two of you have ignored how Shanahan's been stealing assistants by naming them "assistant Head coach", "assistant offensive coordinator of the running game" for a decade then? Just exactly which assistants did he steal by doing that? The only assistant head coaches I can remember here in Denver were Dinger (the Jets fired him) and Slowik, who came here as a DB coach that Shanny promoted.

The assistant head coach title would work, but only for one. That would almost certainly have to go to Dennison as Turner has never been an OC at the NFL level before.

TheReverend
01-06-2010, 11:05 PM
Sorry Rev, but I think we got it covered.

Let's see. Can Turner and/or Dennison leave with a promotion? Check.

Can they also leave if we give them permission or fire them? Check.

Any other way for them to end up in Washington? Not that I can see.

Just exactly which assistants did he steal by doing that? The only assistant head coaches I can remember here in Denver were Dinger (the Jets fired him) and Slowik, who came here as a DB coach that Shanny promoted.

The assistant head coach title would work, but only for one. That would almost certainly have to go to Dennison as Turner has never been an OC at the NFL level before.

Missed the point, or just stupid?

Nevermind, I know the answer to that.

My original point was Shanahan can take either or both. To which you refuted my post saying he would have to promote and since Kyle is coming on as OC, not likely. So I was pointing out that he can utilize Assistant Headcoach or Assistant offensive coordinator running game, etc titles to make it a promotion and, back to my original point, take either or both if he, and they, want to.

As for other coaches he's placed titles on to take or to hold, in recent history he did the same with Dennison, making him the "Offensive coordinator of the running game", and while Bates was "Offensive coordinator of the passing attack", everyone knew Bates was the OC and also calling the plays.

This exchange is another sterling example of why I don't like you, you're originally intended post is horridly wrong so you try and twist it into a semantics conversation. So please no more PMs. I don't want to be your friend. I don't want to be on any level of association. I personally just hope you get bent.

Florida_Bronco
01-07-2010, 12:21 AM
Missed the point, or just stupid?

Nevermind, I know the answer to that.

My original point was Shanahan can take either or both. To which you refuted my post saying he would have to promote and since Kyle is coming on as OC, not likely. So I was pointing out that he can utilize Assistant Headcoach or Assistant offensive coordinator running game, etc titles to make it a promotion and, back to my original point, take either or both if he, and they, want to. We agree on the Assistant Head Coach title, but Assistant Offensive Coordinator? There isn't a single "assistant coordinator" on any NFL coaching staff that I can find, so I'd venture a guess that it's either A) not a position you can hire for or more likely B) the NFL rules don't consider that a promotion from a positional coach.

This exchange is another sterling example of why I don't like you, you're originally intended post is horridly wrong so you try and twist it into a semantics conversation. So please no more PMs. I don't want to be your friend. I don't want to be on any level of association. I personally just hope you get bent. I had to cut and paste this here because it was absolutely hilarious given what you said here below.

As for other coaches he's placed titles on to take or to hold, in recent history he did the same with Dennison, making him the "Offensive coordinator of the running game", and while Bates was "Offensive coordinator of the passing attack", everyone knew Bates was the OC and also calling the plays. Dennison was never "Offensive Coordinator of the Running Game". He was simply the offensive coordinator. Also, Jeremy Bates was the QB Coach and nothing else.

Just to make it easy for you, here are the links to both of their coaching profiles that outline their positions with the teams.

http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=357&contentID=628

http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=357&contentID=5835

As for you not liking me? Oh well. I really couldn't care less Rev. I do find it kinda funny considering that even though we've had a few arguments over the years on here, I've always treated you with respect even when you act like the forum douchebag, which I know is basically what your schtick is all about.

Bottom line, I'll keep being civil to you and if you want to act like a dick, so be it. It don't matter to me, but if you're going to call me out, at least make sure you know what the **** you're talking about beforehand.

Thanks. :thumbs:

bloodsunday
01-07-2010, 06:17 AM
This is truly interesting CR@P. Each time Shanny got to the playoffs he faced PM, or the eventual SB region. Yet every ignoramus on this planet commenting on his record post Elway always brings up the playoffs. Considering the QBs he had, and who he faced, it is amazing he actually got one team to reach the conference finals. Marty on the other hand had some pretty powerful teams, and they all failed, including SD.

Don't be dumb. The point is that head coaches always look better with good QBs. How many Super Bowls did Belicik win without Brady? How many did Holmgren win without Favre? Walsh without Montanna? In the case of Belicik, he suddenly looked a whole lot smarter when Brady arrived.

Great teams usually have more than one thing going for them. Comparing Shanahan to anyone is tough to do because he really had to careers in Denver -- with Elway and without. Marty has been a perennial winner. Yes his post season success has been less than stellar. But Shanahan's hasn't been great either without Elway. You can't deny that.

By the way, don't act like Shanahan was a victim. He picked all his own players. It was Shanahan that paid Jake Plummer $50M to come to Denver, trained him be an AFC Title game QB, and then pulled the rug out from under him. It was Shanahan that decided to make Brian Griese the starter right before the season opener in 1999. It was Shanahan that turned our DC position into a revolving door. He was not a victim, but in fact the culprit.

gunns
01-07-2010, 06:38 AM

OMG, I about peed my pants. The sad thing is it'll all go right over his head, it always does. But I say that positively.

TonyR
01-07-2010, 07:02 AM
...Just because our team started off like a rocket then proceeded to completely **** the bed for the next 10 games...

To be fair and accurate, 8 of the next 10.

TonyR
01-07-2010, 07:06 AM
..I think they are gone because they don't seem to follow McD's philosophy. Dennison did a great job with the OL last yr, but it is not clear whether he can coach the OL the way McD wants. The same might be true of our RB coach. So McD, in his infinite wisdom might just give them the out so that he can bring in coaches that "better" meet his needs. My guess is that we will be losing some of out better coaches on the offensive side of the ball, because they are fairly useless to McD.

You spin this as negative, which fits your agenda and bias, but I don't know that bringing in coaches who know how to coach your scheme in lieu of coaches who don't is really all that unreasonable. McD is coaching his football team, not Mike Shanahan's. The sooner you come to grips with that fact the better.

gunns
01-07-2010, 07:15 AM
You spin this as negative, which fits your agenda and bias, but I don't know that bringing in coaches who know how to coach your scheme in lieu of coaches who don't is really all that unreasonable. McD is coaching his football team, not Mike Shanahan's. The sooner you come to grips with that fact the better.

Quit looking at everything so negatively. Go back and read theDave's post.

So does this mean Bowlen won't be saddled with any of Shanahan's salary since he will be getting 7 mil from Snyder?

TonyR
01-07-2010, 08:04 AM
Quit looking at everything so negatively. Go back and read theDave's post.

So does this mean Bowlen won't be saddled with any of Shanahan's salary since he will be getting 7 mil from Snyder?

Funny you should say that because I'm looking at it positively. Merlin is giving a negative spin to possible coaching changes. I'm saying such possible coaching changes probably make sense. How is that negative? What did I say that you disagree with?

Merlin
01-07-2010, 10:26 AM
McD is coaching his football team, not Mike Shanahan's.
No, McD is coaching a team with players and coaches who were among the top in the NFL on offense. A good coach adapts and uses those strengths rather than rebuild. I don't think McD needs to be an offensive version of Bates. As you may remember, Bates knew how to coach one type of defense only, and obliterated Denver's D and players pick through drafts and traded away in the process. Sadly, McD is following on his footpaths when he could have carried this offense into maturity. Now instead it will have to be totally rebuilt, and there is nothing in McD's history that suggests he is good at evaluating talent, on the contrary, judging by Denver's draft picks (i.e. where they were made and what was traded away) and how poorly he used some players this yr, there is nothing to suggest he has the ability to rebuild this offense. To make matter worse, McD will have to be stupendous to build the type of OL Orton and Denver's new style of running will need to succeed.

TonyR
01-07-2010, 11:09 AM
...A good coach adapts and uses those strengths rather than rebuild.

I agree that's certainly a fair question about the direction McD went. My hunch is that he fully intended to push this team's offense to what he does despite the growing pains that would be experienced this year. This approach most certainly negatively impacted the quality and production of the offense. He probably was too stubborn and probably should have run at least a hybrid of the two systems, although that may perhaps be easier said than done. Imagine how thick the playbook would be running both systems. McD probably installed the new offense in camp and preseason and didn't look back. He clearly underestimated the struggles this group of players would have executing his style.

On the bright side he should now know what he has and what changes he has to make in personnel going into next year. Hopefully he'll adapt the offense to the extent necessary to better fit the skills and limitations the players bring to the table.

McD clearly thinks his offense is superior to the offense this team ran previously and fully intends to go that direction. I don't think it's all that unreasonable to expect the coach to run the offense he knows and has had high success with. But again he clearly made some mistakes and I'm sure he'd admit that.

bombay
01-07-2010, 11:55 AM
No coach has ever left a team he won a Superbowl with and won another one somewhere else.

gunns
01-07-2010, 12:30 PM
Funny you should say that because I'm looking at it positively. Merlin is giving a negative spin to possible coaching changes. I'm saying such possible coaching changes probably make sense. How is that negative? What did I say that you disagree with?

You were very negative about Merlin's post. No negativity allowed unless of course TSI agrees with you. Go get HAPPY!

Nobody answered my question, is Bowlen off the hot seat for Shanny's salary?

bombay
01-07-2010, 12:34 PM
You were very negative about Merlin's post. No negativity allowed unless of course TSI agrees with you. Go get HAPPY!

Nobody answered my question, is Bowlen off the hot seat for Shanny's salary?

Without searching, I believe Shanny's new deal is pretty heavily backloaded; that is Snyder is paying him little in the first two years of the contract, leaving Bowlen on the hook for (I think) about $4 million for each of the next two seasons.

elsid13
01-07-2010, 02:48 PM
Without searching, I believe Shanny's new deal is pretty heavily backloaded; that is Snyder is paying him little in the first two years of the contract, leaving Bowlen on the hook for (I think) about $4 million for each of the next two seasons.

That correct. Shanahan will still get some money from Bowlen.