PDA

View Full Version : Week 17 Morning Aftermath: McDaniels should be on the hot seat

broncofan7
01-04-2010, 08:11 PM
Long Live Florio......

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/01/04/week-17-morning-aftermath-mcdaniels-should-be-on-the-hot-seat/

Posted by Mike Florio on January 4, 2010 1:59 AM ET
Before the 2009 season began, many league observers believed that Broncos coach Josh McDaniels had waded into a swamp several inches deeper than his height.

McDaniels shipped away a franchise quarterback, picked a fight with a gamebreaking receiver, and generally inspired little confidence with a press-conference demeanor involving more ticks and touches than a third-base coach trying to instruct the batter to swing away.

But then the games started, and McDaniels became the Broncos' boy wonder. Six wins later, it was presumed that McDaniels "gets it," and that he has what it takes to be a successful NFL head coach.

Eight losses in 10 games later, it's time to revisit that assessment, especially with receiver Brandon Marshall now destined to be shipped out of town in the offseason.

And here's the key -- with Mike Shanahan poised to return to the NFL and give up most if not all of the remaining $14 million the Broncos owe him over the next two years, owner Pat Bowlen could choose to divert that money to fund the balance of McDaniels' contract over the next three seasons, with roughly $8 million to spare.

It's unlikely that Bowlen will pull the trigger. But who would have dreamed a year ago that Shanahan would get shown the door? This year, the outcome was the same, including a three-game losing streak that squandered what had once appeared to be a clear shot at the postseason.

So while the end result of McDaniels' first season still wasn't as bad as most thought it would be -- and also not nearly as horrendous as the overall performance of Eric Mangini's Browns, Raheem Morris' Buccaneers, Jim Schwartz's Lions, Jim Mora's Seahawks, Todd Haley's Chiefs, and Steve Spagnuolo's Rams -- McDaniels merits as much or more scrutiny than each of them, and even if he sticks around for another year he deserves a spot on the hot seat for 2010.

Popps
01-04-2010, 08:13 PM
McDaniels shipped away a franchise quarterback.

:spit:

ppPPPFFFFFFFFFFAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA!!!!

Pretty much stopped reading after that.

27 TDs
26 INTs

Franchise.

broncofan7
01-04-2010, 08:15 PM

27 TDs
26 INTs

Franchise.

The Bears should hire Mike Leach........;)

Broncomutt
01-04-2010, 08:18 PM
The article is fair. Gives McDaniels credit, doesn't spare him the sword either though.

I agree though, the franchise QB thing was sooo last decade. Hilarious!

broncofan7
01-04-2010, 08:47 PM
According to Bowlen--McGenius is okay with him--I guess beating out only the lions and Rams the last TEN GAMES of the season sits well with ole' Patty..........a 2-8 finish does NOT bode well for 2010........

jhat01
01-04-2010, 09:00 PM
According to Bowlen--McGenius is okay with him--I guess beating out only the lions and Rams the last TEN GAMES of the season sits well with ole' Patty..........a 2-8 finish does NOT bode well for 2010........

Who knows what it means? These dudes are going to spend the entire offseason trying to figure out why that happened. Continuity is an important piece of this IMO..A revolving door at the HC's office doesn't equate to long term success.

Why do you discount the beginning of the season? Listen to the presser from today. He understands much more than you or I that 8-8 is not the goal. Next year will tell the story, a full offseason with the system,scouts, evaluators, coaches etc will go a long way.

Either the team will improve or they won't. If they don't, he should be on the hot seat and Bowlen should make a change. 3 years is how long any coach would need to point the ship in the direction they want it to go IMO.

Keep hating though brother...You only have about 4 months until you can bitch about the next draft class. It'll be here in no time.

theAPAOps5
01-04-2010, 09:42 PM
Hey look its the site Clown posting his crap again.

Rulon Velvet Jones
01-04-2010, 09:45 PM
Careful now, or she'll neg rep you or attack where you work.

theAPAOps5
01-04-2010, 09:47 PM
Careful now, or she'll neg rep you or attack where you work.

Oh his neg rep is funny. But when he is called a clown by the site owner it really puts his place here in perspective. He is the gum on the bottom of our shoes.

gyldenlove
01-04-2010, 09:49 PM
Hot seat? too early.

Did he use up his get out of jail free card? I think so, another late season debacle including homelosses to the Raiders and Chiefs won't be palatable to Bowlen.

theAPAOps5
01-04-2010, 09:50 PM
By the way I had one of these for lunch today:

http://jcarrot.org/wp-content/uploads/phillycheesecake2.jpg

Los Broncos
01-04-2010, 10:08 PM
I had a salad for lunch.

Boobs McGee
01-04-2010, 10:31 PM
I had a salad for lunch.

me too
http://laylita.com/recipes/wp-content/uploads/2008/02/mixed%20garden%20salad%201.JPG

BUT, I was at safeway, and the salad wasn't fillin me up, so I went back in and got a corn dog

http://www.arnoldburgers.com/corndog.jpg

I swear, corn dogs should be a food group.

Los Broncos
01-04-2010, 10:33 PM
That is a handsome salad, love the avocados.

Boobs McGee
01-04-2010, 10:39 PM
That is a handsome salad, love the avocados.

Avocados definitely dress ANYTHING up.

guacomole anyone?

http://www.avocadocentral.com/assets/images/sublevel/media/download/full/GuacamoleAutentico.jpg

oh, and p.s., I heard on the lightrail that josh mcdaniels absolutely LOVES good guacomole.

i mean, who doesn't?

Los Broncos
01-04-2010, 10:41 PM
I live with a Mayan family, that stuff is around all the time.

Never get enough :strong:

Boobs McGee
01-04-2010, 10:45 PM
Lucky.

Pontius Pirate
01-04-2010, 10:51 PM
http://img1.liveinternet.ru/images/attach/c/0//44/266/44266966_unsuccessful_troll.jpg

broncofan7
01-05-2010, 06:12 AM
I can lead you jackasses to water, but I cannot make you drink...........

Hulamau
01-05-2010, 06:35 AM
Long Live Florio......

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/01/04/week-17-morning-aftermath-mcdaniels-should-be-on-the-hot-seat/

Posted by Mike Florio on January 4, 2010 1:59 AM ET
Before the 2009 season began, many league observers believed that Broncos coach Josh McDaniels had waded into a swamp several inches deeper than his height.

McDaniels shipped away a franchise quarterback, picked a fight with a gamebreaking receiver, and generally inspired little confidence with a press-conference demeanor involving more ticks and touches than a third-base coach trying to instruct the batter to swing away.

But then the games started, and McDaniels became the Broncos' boy wonder. Six wins later, it was presumed that McDaniels "gets it," and that he has what it takes to be a successful NFL head coach.

Eight losses in 10 games later, it's time to revisit that assessment, especially with receiver Brandon Marshall now destined to be shipped out of town in the offseason.

And here's the key -- with Mike Shanahan poised to return to the NFL and give up most if not all of the remaining $14 million the Broncos owe him over the next two years, owner Pat Bowlen could choose to divert that money to fund the balance of McDaniels' contract over the next three seasons, with roughly $8 million to spare.

It's unlikely that Bowlen will pull the trigger. But who would have dreamed a year ago that Shanahan would get shown the door? This year, the outcome was the same, including a three-game losing streak that squandered what had once appeared to be a clear shot at the postseason.

So while the end result of McDaniels' first season still wasn't as bad as most thought it would be -- and also not nearly as horrendous as the overall performance of Eric Mangini's Browns, Raheem Morris' Buccaneers, Jim Schwartz's Lions, Jim Mora's Seahawks, Todd Haley's Chiefs, and Steve Spagnuolo's Rams -- McDaniels merits as much or more scrutiny than each of them, and even if he sticks around for another year he deserves a spot on the hot seat for 2010.

Well that fits .... Bfan7 quoting Mike Florio with pride Ha! LOL. Numbskulls of a feather flock together. :sunshine:

barryr
01-05-2010, 06:40 AM
Cutler is a franchise QB? Again with that nonsense. I always thought a guy had to prove he was one before being labeled as such. I guess just takes the abilty to throw hard, regardless of how many picks or losses he accumulates.

Dagmar
01-05-2010, 06:41 AM
Avocados definitely dress ANYTHING up.

guacomole anyone?

http://www.avocadocentral.com/assets/images/sublevel/media/download/full/GuacamoleAutentico.jpg

oh, and p.s., I heard on the lightrail that josh mcdaniels absolutely LOVES good guacomole.

i mean, who doesn't?

I hate guacamole... I prefer a nice spicy queso!

colonelbeef
01-05-2010, 07:53 AM

27 TDs
26 INTs

Franchise.

You're a total and complete idiot with an agenda that clouds your ability to see the facts.

Brett Favre 2005 (Age 36): 20 TD 29 INT
Peyton Manning 2001 (Age 25): 26 TD 23 INT
John Elway 1988 (Age 28): 17 TD 19 INT
Steve Young 1986 (Age 25): 8 TD 13 INT

And finally,
Jay Cutler 2009 (Age 26) 27 TD 26 INT

Jay Cutler is in fact a franchise QB, and you will be eating crow on this fact for years to come, much as you have been (should be- if you had any spine) for the way this debacle of a season ended.

TailgateNut
01-05-2010, 08:46 AM
Hey look its the site Clown posting his crap again.

Thank you for stating the obvious.

Hint: Ignoring him works wonders for the soul!

theAPAOps5
01-05-2010, 09:42 AM
Thank you for stating the obvious.

Hint: Ignoring him works wonders for the soul!

Not stating the obvious more pulling of strings.

chex
01-05-2010, 09:43 AM
Jay Cutler is in fact a franchise QB

Based on what criteria? What, in your opinion, gives you the conviction to say this? I'm curious as to what the standard is. It can't be wins or career record, as he is lacking there. It can't be knowing how to take care of the football, as he lacks there as well, evidenced by his abnormal amount of interceptions and fumbles. It can't be playoff victories, as he has zero.

So what is it that determines who is a franchise QB?

Hercules Rockefeller
01-05-2010, 10:15 AM
You're a total and complete idiot with an agenda that clouds your ability to see the facts.

Brett Favre 2005 (Age 36): 20 TD 29 INT
Peyton Manning 2001 (Age 25): 26 TD 23 INT
John Elway 1988 (Age 28): 17 TD 19 INT
Steve Young 1986 (Age 25): 8 TD 13 INT

And finally,
Jay Cutler 2009 (Age 26) 27 TD 26 INT

Jay Cutler is in fact a franchise QB, and you will be eating crow on this fact for years to come, much as you have been (should be- if you had any spine) for the way this debacle of a season ended.

Facts:

Favre had 1 ring, 3 MVPs, and was on his way to breaking every all-time QB record
Manning had already been to the playoffs twice in his 4 years as a starter at that point
Elway had been to 2 Super Bowls by that point in the career and led his team on something called "The Drive"
Young was in his 2nd year in the leauge and was in Tampa

Those are facts too. Just because those 4 had bad seasons doesn't make Cutler a franchise QB, like you so wish he was at this point.

Young is the only guy on that list that hadn't accomplished anything in career at that point, just like Boy Wonder.

It's absolutely laughable that you think throwing out the seasons the other 3 had somehow strengthens your argument that Boy Wonder is a franchise QB.

jhns
01-05-2010, 10:28 AM
Based on what criteria? What, in your opinion, gives you the conviction to say this? I'm curious as to what the standard is. It can't be wins or career record, as he is lacking there. It can't be knowing how to take care of the football, as he lacks there as well, evidenced by his abnormal amount of interceptions and fumbles. It can't be playoff victories, as he has zero.

Coaches, players, and analysts don't use franchise QB like the fans do. For some reason, fans can't understand the term. It is a term for someone the team invests in, belives in, and builds around. It has nothing to do with what the player actually does. Orton even said this exact thing in an interview earlier this season.

vancejohnson82
01-05-2010, 10:40 AM
Coaches, players, and analysts don't use franchise QB like the fans do. For some reason, fans can't understand the term. It is a term for someone the team invests in, belives in, and builds around. It has nothing to do with what the player actually does. Orton even said this exact thing in an interview earlier this season.

and sometimes teams miscalculate who franchise QBs really are

look at Russel in Oakland
Harrington in Detroit
Jeff George in Indy
David Carr in Houston

I mean, the list goes on and on....who knows if Cutler will end up on that list, but according to your criteria these are all FRANCHISE QUARTERBACKS

chex
01-05-2010, 10:43 AM

Interesting. So, all it takes to be a franchise player is for an organization to have so much faith in you that they make you a cornerstone of their plans? OK. I asked a question, and it was answered. I tend to disagree, in that I would think actually performing like a franchise player is a pre-requisite to being labeled a franchise player (see: Tom Brady), but I guess that's why I'm here, and the front office types that scout and draft are there.

jhns
01-05-2010, 10:43 AM
and sometimes teams miscalculate who franchise QBs really are

look at Russel in Oakland
Harrington in Detroit
Jeff George in Indy
David Carr in Houston

I mean, the list goes on and on....who knows if Cutler will end up on that list, but according to your criteria these are all FRANCHISE QUARTERBACKS

Yes, they all were at one time considered franchise QBs. They lose the title as soon as their franchise decides they aren't the long term answer.

vancejohnson82
01-05-2010, 10:46 AM
Yes, they all were at one time considered franchise QBs. They lose the title as soon as their franchise decides they aren't the long term answer.

ok...fair enough

then with Jay Cutler one franchise didnt think he was the answer and another did

so I guess the jury is still out...which is why i dont know why its like people are on here saying he is a DEFINITE franchise QB...we still dont know

Garcia Bronco
01-05-2010, 10:47 AM
Why is Buster allowed to post here?

Ambiguous
01-05-2010, 10:51 AM
By the way I had one of these for lunch today:

http://jcarrot.org/wp-content/uploads/phillycheesecake2.jpg

Where did you get that? It looks delicious.

(I'm serious)

theAPAOps5
01-05-2010, 11:09 AM

(I'm serious)

I googled cheese steak sandwhich, mine didn't look that good!

TailgateNut
01-05-2010, 11:12 AM
I googled cheese steak sandwhich, mine didn't look that good!

Aren't you down in Centenial?

There's a little deli in the Conoco Station just east of I-25 on Lincoln Ave which has IMO some of the best Philly cheesesteak sandwiches. He makes his with freshly chopped RibEye and you can get it with phillly cream cheese added to the regular cheese. AWESOME.

TailgateNut
01-05-2010, 11:17 AM
Not stating the obvious more pulling of strings.

LOLDon't pull too hard, "her" tampon might fall out!:~ohyah!:

ZONA
01-05-2010, 11:22 AM
McDaniels shipped away a franchise quarterback.

Pppppffffffffffahahahahahahaaaaa!!!!

27 tds
26 ints

franchise.

same here popps, as soon as I read Cutler and franchise QB in the same sentence.....time to move on. I can't believe after the year he had this year people still believe this retarded gun slinger is a franchise QB.

theAPAOps5
01-05-2010, 11:38 AM
Aren't you down in Centenial?

There's a little deli in the Conoco Station just east of I-25 on Lincoln Ave which has IMO some of the best Philly cheesesteak sandwiches. He makes his with freshly chopped RibEye and you can get it with phillly cream cheese added to the regular cheese. AWESOME.

I work at DIA now but when I worked at Centennial I ate there once a week. It's awesome!

go_broncos
01-05-2010, 11:48 AM
Mcd's playcalling and Zorn are similar..Mcd will be fired next season by this time.

bombay
01-05-2010, 11:53 AM

(I'm serious)

Pat's Philly Cheesesteak is pretty damn good. There are at least 3 of them: on Arapahoe just East of I-25 (N side of street), at Iliff and Quebec (strip mall NE corner of intersection) and downtown. On Market just N of 16th street.

Rulon Velvet Jones
01-05-2010, 11:56 AM
Mcd's playcalling and Zorn are similar..Mcd will be fired next season by this time.

Zorn called plays?

TailgateNut
01-05-2010, 11:59 AM

I though you brain surgeons predicted he would be fired this season after a 3-13 record. What happened to those PREDICTIONS?

chex
01-05-2010, 12:17 PM
I though you brain surgeons predicted he would be fired this season after a 3-13 record. What happened to those PREDICTIONS?

Resting in Davy Jones' locker with the 'Bears to the Super Bowl' predictions.

R8R H8R
01-05-2010, 02:24 PM

In Cutler's case, the media...about 15 times a day at one point. If you pound in a point enough, a lot of people will start to believe it. Even if not true.

Why? Because they want to believe it.

Archer81
01-05-2010, 02:25 PM
same here popps, as soon as I read Cutler and franchise QB in the same sentence.....time to move on. I can't believe after the year he had this year people still believe this retarded gun slinger is a franchise QB.

Unless its a sentence with "is not" between Cutler and franchise QB of course.

:Broncos:

Archer81
01-05-2010, 02:26 PM

In Cutler's case, the media...about 15 times a day at one point. If you pound in a point enough, a lot of people will start to believe it. Even if not true.

Why? Because they want to believe it.

Hmm...sports equivalent of hope and change...

:Broncos:

TonyR
01-05-2010, 02:29 PM
...and you can get it with phillly cream cheese added to the regular cheese.

Philadelphians would laugh at this. It's either Wiz, American, or Provolone. Anything else is a violation. I remember when John Kerry, during the election against W, ordered one in Philly with Swiss and there was a major uproar out here.

TailgateNut
01-05-2010, 02:37 PM
Philadelphians would laugh at this. It's either Wiz, American, or Provolone. Anything else is a violation. I remember when John Kerry, during the election against W, ordered one in Philly with Swiss and there was a major uproar out here.

I couldn't give a **** what Philadelphians think. If I want mine with american and cream cheese added, I'll do so.

They violate the motto "City of Brotherly love".