PDA

View Full Version : Bowlen supportive of McDaniels; coach backs his QB (We're sticking with Orton)

The MVPlaya
01-04-2010, 04:03 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/premium/broncos/ci_14119470

Pat Bowlen wasn't smiling Sunday evening. No reason for that after his Broncos just topped off a 6-0 start with a devastating 2-8 finish.

But Bowlen walked away from his 26th season as the Broncos' owner with his usual quiet dignity. Bowlen knew his young coach, Josh McDan- iels, made a difficult decision when he decided to bench two of his best offensive players, Brandon Marshall and Tony Scheffler, with the playoffs potentially at stake.

"Unfortunately, we lost this game, but I have no problems with the coach," Bowlen said as he left the home locker room at Invesco Field. "He's my coach."

McDaniels finished his first season as the Broncos' head coach with an 8-8 record. Kyle Orton finished his first season as the Broncos' quarterback with career highs of 3,802 yards passing and 21 touchdowns but also three interceptions in the final game.

As he walked to his car Sunday night, Bowlen stopped long enough to endorse McDaniels as his coach for the foreseeable future.

McDaniels said he can improve on his first-year work.

"I certainly can do a better job of what I do, and I'm not going to go into detail about this, that and the other," McDaniels said. "I'm looking forward to getting better in the offseason at what I do. And trying to improve our team in every way that I can."

One way, McDaniels said, is to help Orton become a better quarterback.

"This was his first season and he'll get better," McDaniels said. "Part of my job is to help him get better by coaching him up."

Although Orton's contract has now expired, expect the Broncos to sign him to a new deal within the next two months.

"I think something's going to be worked out," Orton said.

At the very least, Orton can be brought back on a one-year, $3.043 million contract as a restricted free agent. Most likely, though, the Broncos and Orton will try to reach accord on a multiyear contract that approaches the deals of other established QBs.

"I was proud to have the opportunity to coach him this year and look forward to moving forward with him," McDaniels said.

snowspot66
01-04-2010, 04:05 PM
Of course we're sticking with Orton. We don't have any other options. Even if we end up in a position to take a guy McDaniels likes more we'll still keep Orton around for competition and backup. He's not going anywhere whether we get a new QB or not.

Blueflame
01-04-2010, 04:06 PM
What else did you expect him to say? Very predictable, vanilla remarks.

Broncoman13
01-04-2010, 04:13 PM
I'm disappointed we are sticking with Orton. :(

snowspot66
01-04-2010, 04:18 PM

We don't really have an option to do anything else. Besides, we need big help on the lines. If we ever fix those then we can do what the Vikings and Ravens did. Go out and find a QB, rookie or solid veteran, and plug them in and have success. Right now Orton is the best option.

Blueflame
01-04-2010, 04:19 PM

Would it help to point out that things were said in the media immediately after the Broncos' season ended last year that ended up being the polar opposite of reality? (If the immediate postgame interviews had been what really happened, we'd still have Shanahan and Slowik).

Lately, what Bowlen says... is not necessarily what Bowlen (or his coaches/GM) does.

Archer81
01-04-2010, 04:19 PM

Very Shanahanesque. Reveal nothing.

:Broncos:

uplink
01-04-2010, 04:23 PM
wonder if Orton can work on his mobility, anytime there is rush penetration he is toast. He lacks in this area compared to Brady/Cassel I think.

The MVPlaya
01-04-2010, 04:31 PM
Just watched Part 1 of the presser and McDaniels said he doesn't want to make any "declarations" with Orton or anything, so I guess it's not guaranteed...?

Popps
01-04-2010, 05:45 PM
wonder if Orton can work on his mobility, anytime there is rush penetration he is toast. He lacks in this area compared to Brady/Cassel I think.

I said that in another thread.

Most QBs are what they are, physically. But, I really think Orton is an example of a guy that could use an offseason regimen that enhances speed and agility.
He's a big guy, but he looks like he's carrying a little too much happy-weight, to me.

You're not going to great a scrambler out of him, but I do think you can improve agility and mobility by changing your body make-up a bit.

Popps
01-04-2010, 05:46 PM
Just watched Part 1 of the presser and McDaniels said he doesn't want to make any "declarations" with Orton or anything, so I guess it's not guaranteed...?

That's likely more contract-driven. I can't imagine any scenario where McDaniels doesn't at minimum want Kyle back to compete for a job.

orinjkrush
01-04-2010, 05:55 PM
i liked his "improved" scrambling in the KC game. it looked like his ankle had healed a bit.

i would go to war with orton. at least i'd give him a couple of clips of M16 rounds.

mhgaffney
01-04-2010, 06:06 PM
Improved scrambling?

You had one too many beers.

bpc
01-04-2010, 06:17 PM
Can't really be disappointed Orton will be back... we don't have anybody else at this point and it's unreliable to think that Brandstater can be anything more than a backup at this point.

We're in a great position. We can tender Orton and he's around at least a year. If we handle our business this offseason, we'll be drafting a QB early (1st-3rd round) and Orton will be around to mentor him. If we can stretch that RFA tag from 1 yr 3 million, to say 2 yr - 6 mill, or 3 yr - 9 million, I think that's a very solid amount for a guy who could be sitting the bench.

Draft a QB, tender Orton and try to bring in a guy like Campbell who is looking for a one or two year deal to resusitate his career.

Bam. QB position is on the fast track to getting better and it ensures that we don't have a offensive meltdown like we did this season.

WABronco
01-04-2010, 06:18 PM
Simple fact is you're not going to ditch a guy who's been in the offense for a year and has performed quite well, at times. The Kyle Orton's of the world aren't above a little competition, however...

TonyR
01-04-2010, 06:21 PM
...try to bring in a guy like Campbell who is looking for a one or two year deal to resusitate his career.

I'd be on board with looking into Campbell, but I think he's an RFA and Shanahan may keep him in D.C. for the same reason McD will keep Orton in Denver.

Bronx33
01-04-2010, 06:28 PM
Well MCDs rookie season is behind him there is no place to go but up from here out.

ZONA
01-04-2010, 06:32 PM

I don't think it's guaranteed either. It's day 1 of the offseason. He probably hasn't even watched the tape of the last game yet. What's he supposed to say, No, Orton isn't going to be here. He clearly said he isn't going to make any knee jerk reactions right now. He's going to have some time away, do more evaluations and then go from there. Don't think for one second if McD could find somebody better he won't go with him. If that's a high draft pick or a FA, those things aren't even yet determined so who knows.

NOBODY KNOWS for sure if Orton is going to be here if McD himself doesn't truly know yet. Good gawd, people think they know what McD wants before he himself knows. Too funny.

orange 4 life
01-04-2010, 07:10 PM
"we're sticking with Orton."

Thank God.

broncofan7
01-04-2010, 07:42 PM
Well, his spiffy home record took a bit of a beating his 1st year in Denver, no? And wasn't he 21-12 or something in Chicago? Hopefully, his 2nd year in the offense we are more productive on the SCOREBOARD....somewhere around 24-25 /game would be nice. Gaffney should be our #2 WR---Royal--he needs to be sent packing for at least a #2--he is completely incompatible with this offense--we had a whole season to watch--and he wasn't even the 4th best reciever on our team........trading Marshall will create a GAPING hole @ our #1WR spot though...and if teams focus on Gaffney--he won't be nearly as effective as he was against a KC team that wasn't sure what to expect out of our passing game minus Brandon........will be an interesting off-season--but I agree--Orton seems to be our best option--unless Tom B is ready to step up.......the trading of our #14 pcik for Fonzie REALLY chaps my A$$ though......or this draft could be REALLY fun

bpc
01-04-2010, 07:44 PM
I'd be on board with looking into Campbell, but I think he's an RFA and Shanahan may keep him in D.C. for the same reason McD will keep Orton in Denver.

Doesn't really matter 'who' to me. I just want to see us take a younger vet, who's had some starting experience and is looking to prove himself.

Campbell, Kellen Clemons, Tavaris Jackson, etc, etc, etc.

Just get me a guy who's hungry, who is coachable, and who will be relatively cheap but has some upside. That would satisfy me.

Oh yeah, and we need to make sure we draft somebody. I've said this many times, I'm okay with McD carrying four QB's on the active roster. Orton, Cambell (young vet), high draft pick, and Brandstater.

We need to be collecting QB's like Jon Gruden. The worst thing we can do is give ourselves few options moving forward.

maher_tyler
01-04-2010, 07:49 PM
Can't really be disappointed Orton will be back... we don't have anybody else at this point and it's unreliable to think that Brandstater can be anything more than a backup at this point.

We're in a great position. We can tender Orton and he's around at least a year. If we handle our business this offseason, we'll be drafting a QB early (1st-3rd round) and Orton will be around to mentor him. If we can stretch that RFA tag from 1 yr 3 million, to say 2 yr - 6 mill, or 3 yr - 9 million, I think that's a very solid amount for a guy who could be sitting the bench.

Draft a QB, tender Orton and try to bring in a guy like Campbell who is looking for a one or two year deal to resusitate his career.

Bam. QB position is on the fast track to getting better and it ensures that we don't have a offensive meltdown like we did this season.

I gurantee you we don't draft a QB in the top 5 rounds!!

bpc
01-04-2010, 07:51 PM
I think that is a pathetic idea which has fail written all over it.

Dagmar
01-04-2010, 08:01 PM
http://i48.tinypic.com/29w73op.png

ant1999e
01-04-2010, 08:04 PM

You and McD have something in common.

Blueflame
01-04-2010, 09:48 PM
You and McD have something in common.

Who said anything about McDaniels? I was referring to what Pat Bowlen said (you know... the bolded sentences in the OP). So to have a relevant point, you'd have to say that I have something in common with Pat Bowlen...

~Crash~
01-04-2010, 09:56 PM

Most QBs are what they are, physically. But, I really think Orton is an example of a guy that could use an offseason regimen that enhances speed and agility.
He's a big guy, but he looks like he's carrying a little too much happy-weight, to me.

You're not going to great a scrambler out of him, but I do think you can improve agility and mobility by changing your body make-up a bit.

I think less partying and more lifting wieghts .. his legs a weak as hell

Al Wilson
01-04-2010, 10:48 PM
McDaniels wanted Orton when we got rid of that selfish **** Cutler, so of course he's coming back. I think Kyle had a great season for his first year in a complex offensive system. With a good draft and right Free agent pickups (improving the interior offensive line, and the defensive line) we should be a much better team next year. I hope McDaniels picks some good free agents this year because last year he banked on all the pickups IMO.

strafen
01-04-2010, 11:04 PM
wonder if Orton can work on his mobility, anytime there is rush penetration he is toast. He lacks in this area compared to Brady/Cassel I think.The guy is a slug.
Like I've said before, it doesn't matter what transpire in the off-season, keeping Orton as our QB for next year, will be our own demise...

kappys
01-04-2010, 11:37 PM

There aren't many QB's who could do much with the interior O-line play we've watched recently. Rather than asking Orton to compensate we just need to get some decent players in there.

I think the bigger issue for Orton is deep ball accuracy. He seems to have the strength but little accuracy for the long pass. Drew Brees was similar and developed amazing deep ball accuracy so its possible with some work that he could improve that area.

Hulamau
01-05-2010, 12:00 AM

Orton actually had better mobility in both the Eagles and KC game. either getting better coaching there, learning from the school of hard knocks or perhaps finally his ankle is healed after 9 weeks of it taking a pounding without any time to rest it.

Lets see what Josh can do with Orton with a whole offseason to work on purely making him better as a QB. Cassel and even Brady worked with Josh for a couple years refining parts of their game and getting used to this system before they really opened it up in 07 & 08.

This year was a crash course for Kyle in just the system itself and Josh had so many huge responsibilities and distractions just trying to field a competitive team he couldnt put the kind of attention on Orton he no doubt would hasve liked to.

Now they have three and a half months before the draft to work on study and technique. And Orton is more than willing and eager to improve. Plummer, for all his likable qualities was gone the moment the season ended.

Now that the system is better understood and Kyle has a bit more chemistry with the team I'm curious to how much better he can become with Josh's concentrated attention these next months on making Orton a better pure QB and minimizing his mistake ... even improving his foot work and mobility to what ever degree is possible?

Here's betting we see a significantly more decisive and better all around QB next year ... particularly with an improved O-line with a consistent system and better run blocking. If we had even half of that this year we wouldn't be having a post-mortem conversation just yet.

Great to see our Owner is what he is .. a great owner who knows the score.

Hulamau
01-05-2010, 12:08 AM
There aren't many QB's who could do much with the interior O-line play we've watched recently. Rather than asking Orton to compensate we just need to get some decent players in there.

I think the bigger issue for Orton is deep ball accuracy. He seems to have the strength but little accuracy for the long pass. Drew Brees was similar and developed amazing deep ball accuracy so its possible with some work that he could improve that area.

And Brees and Orton are both Boilermakers . One following the other.

Its hard when the season starts so promising and then we all experienced such a frustrating second half. The first knee jerk is usually to blame the QB as well, but Orton isn't one of the rare Hall of Fame QBs that can throw a team on their backs and carry them all the way on his own.

Give the guy at least a two year margin before throwing him under the bus. He has far too many good qualities too to just dismiss him because we didn't make the playoffs when we have so many bigger problems to deal with.

fontaine
01-05-2010, 01:35 AM
Well done to Bowlen in not getting involved in any sort of controversy. He made it simple and said it clearly that McD is the guy so the whole organisation can move on and all the players get one clear message.

The last thing we need is for Bowlen to get involved in an individual players situation like he did last year. Nothing good comes out of it.

Hulamau
01-05-2010, 01:52 AM
Well done to Bowlen in not getting involved in any sort of controversy. He made it simple and said it clearly that McD is the guy so the whole organisation can move on and all the players get one clear message.

The last thing we need is for Bowlen to get involved in an individual players situation like he did last year. Nothing good comes out of it.

Agree ... And I do think Marshall is going to be back with a little time passing

BroncoMan4ever
01-05-2010, 10:50 AM
Of course we're sticking with Orton. We don't have any other options. Even if we end up in a position to take a guy McDaniels likes more we'll still keep Orton around for competition and backup. He's not going anywhere whether we get a new QB or not.

if it is for certain we are sticking with Orton long term I am very happy. but i still think the most likely scenario will be us giving him the 1 year deal and giving him another year to show he is worth the long time investment, while also drafting a QB in the 2nd or 3rd rounds to develop and either become a future starter for us, or if Orton shows he is the man be a solid backup.

boppool
01-05-2010, 11:07 AM
http://www.denverpost.com/premium/broncos/ci_14119470

At the very least, Orton can be brought back on a one-year, $3.043 million contract as a restricted free agent. Most likely, though, the Broncos and Orton will try to reach accord on a multiyear contract that approaches the deals of other established QBs.

I think I just threw up in my mouth...ugh!~

TonyR
01-05-2010, 11:19 AM
Campbell, Kellen Clemons, Tavaris Jackson, etc, etc, etc.

I wonder if Cle would move Brady Quinn for a reasonable price, and if so would McD be interested since apparently he was before this season.

RaiderH8r
01-05-2010, 11:24 AM

To paraphrase Popps, "We need to polish this turd."

RaiderH8r
01-05-2010, 11:25 AM
i liked his "improved" scrambling in the KC game. it looked like his ankle had healed a bit.

i would go to war with orton. at least i'd give him a couple of clips of M16 rounds.

I'd roll a grenade into McDaniels' foxhole.

RaiderH8r
01-05-2010, 11:26 AM

Since we're sniffing the paint anyway why don't we bring in Plummer to compete as well?

go_broncos
01-05-2010, 11:26 AM
I am done with Mcd if we sign Orton to multi year contract.
Orton is an average QB.We will have 8-8,9-7 record with him.
I am hopeful that Mcd will give chance to Tom next year.
I believe he will be the QB for our team for many years.

ZONA
01-05-2010, 11:28 AM

If the Broncos give him a big deal the same as other established QB's such as McNabb or whatever, god save us. While I didn't think Orton was the biggest problem on this team, he certainly wasn't a monster asset either. Giving him a long term big deal at this point would be foolish. I'm all for him coming back under a 1 year deal if that means there is open competition between him, Brandstater and whoever we replace Simms with. NO way do I just hand over the starter QB job to Orton without first seeing how much Tom can improve after a full offseason and a full year of NFL under his belt.

RaiderH8r
01-05-2010, 11:31 AM

Considering how stale and vanilla the playcalling was I can't blame the OL too much. Christ, Clady was getting beat a lot more this year than last. McKid's playcalling was predictable and patterned and teams keyed on it, pinned their ears back and went after the Q knowing that McKid's running scheme sucked the big butthole. If McKid had changed his running game to fit his personnel, i.e. zone blocking then it might have given the running game a chance but no, he's too McGeniusy to do that. Teams could also blitz more because Kyle's noodle arm was no good past 20 yards.

Paladin
01-05-2010, 11:38 AM
NO way do [B]I just hand over the starter QB job to Orton without first seeing how much Tom can improve after a full offseason and a full year of NFL under his belt.

"I"? You and Bowlen talk much?

Orton will be the QB next year. How many of you are going to leave tghe OM and follow another team? "We" need to now so "we" can plan the next OM party.......

:pimp:

24champ
01-05-2010, 11:40 AM

I agree, he needs to get into better shape.

The only thing we need to watch with the Orton negotiations is whether he recieves a long term deal or not. Seems like both sides want to work together on a contract. Just how much and for how long are we looking at?

kamakazi_kal
01-05-2010, 11:49 AM
ughhhh I'm as sick of hearing about Cutler as watching Orton play. I hope we draft a QB at least we would be struggling for a reason.

Bubble left, Bubble right, 3yd in ..... punt. That shouldn't be that hard to pick up for a rookie.

ZONA
01-05-2010, 12:21 PM
"I"? You and Bowlen talk much?

Orton will be the QB next year. How many of you are going to leave tghe OM and follow another team? "We" need to now so "we" can plan the next OM party.......

:pimp:

Shut up you dbag. Like I'm the first one to ever use the word "I" in terms of speaking as if I were the one making the choice. That simply means I would do it. Obviously I'm not the coach or owner. None of us are. What the F is your point? Just because somebody doesn't share the same view as you in terms of a single player doesn't mean they are going to leave the mane you POS. Pull your head out and have your gay party you homo.

broncocalijohn
01-05-2010, 12:27 PM
"we're sticking with Orton."

Thank God.

Compared to "we are giving Simms another chance" yes, Thank God. I am wondering how many drafted QBs have started right away and excelled their rookie year? Sanchez did ok this year but it just doesnt happen very often. Orton is our best shot. He deserves this coming year so the haters just actually try to like your team and root him on. He might be a gapper or he might be our QB for a few years. One year only. Give him another season to prove that he can be a winner.

jhat01
01-05-2010, 01:17 PM

You've been done with "McKid" for some time now who are you trying to kid?

watermock
01-05-2010, 01:39 PM
Orton is the least and worst of our worries.

He's going to come in around 4 mill...no biggie.

McD will not draft a QB high.

The class of 06 will be gone.

The class of 09 will be mediocre at best.

orinjkrush
01-05-2010, 02:55 PM
it is so amazing how "executives" have to have "their guys/gals".

what a total waste of talent. just because THEY can't adapt.

crush17
01-05-2010, 03:39 PM
Very Shanahanesque. Reveal nothing.

:Broncos:

You just wanted to say "Shanahanesque"... admit it.

ScottXray
01-05-2010, 06:18 PM

If the Broncos give him a big deal the same as other established QB's such as McNabb or whatever, god save us. While I didn't think Orton was the biggest problem on this team, he certainly wasn't a monster asset either. Giving him a long term big deal at this point would be foolish. I'm all for him coming back under a 1 year deal if that means there is open competition between him, Brandstater and whoever we replace Simms with. NO way do I just hand over the starter QB job to Orton without first seeing how much Tom can improve after a full offseason and a full year of NFL under his belt.

I think we will sign him to more than one year. Minimum a three year deal, for a vet with his credentials and history. He had a pretty good year, and offering him a one year deal would (rightfully) be considered pretty much a slap in the face. It would be just like Marshall not getting a good offer after 2 100 catch seasons and a pro bowl...kind of tends to piss a player off if you try to lo-ball him or give him a crap offer.

Orton probably isn't the long term answer, but for right now he is a known quantity that we CAN get by with for a while. I'd bet he gets a minimum 3 year 20 Mil deal.

orinjkrush
01-05-2010, 06:20 PM
bring Orten back. make the starting position open. let brandenstarter go for it.

duh.

KipCorrington25
01-05-2010, 06:21 PM
Orton sucks, I'm going to be the biggest red ass pessemist around with that guy as our QB.

baja
01-05-2010, 06:25 PM

I think you won't recognize Kyle next year, he will improve that much.

baja
01-05-2010, 06:33 PM
How about Chris Sims after all he only had one bad game all season..

orinjkrush
01-05-2010, 06:42 PM
ummm we are really demanding.

have you ever played a position, where you HAD to perform week in week out in front of MILLIONS of bitchy fans?

ok....

Popps
01-05-2010, 07:00 PM
Orton sucks, I'm going to be the biggest red ass pessemist around with that guy as our QB.

You've got major competition around here.

ScottXray
01-05-2010, 07:41 PM
You've got major competition around here.

:rofl::thumbs:

No..... he's the only guy that thinks Orton sucks. Hardly anyone ever says anything negative about anyone around here!

gyldenlove
01-05-2010, 07:47 PM
:rofl::thumbs:

No..... he's the only guy that thinks Orton sucks. Hardly anyone ever says anything negative about anyone around here!

I for one is always as positive and upbeat as an optimist on ecstasy.

Florida_Bronco
01-05-2010, 10:24 PM
try to bring in a guy like Campbell who is looking for a one or two year deal to resusitate his career.

Josh had a chance to get Jason Campbell and he took a lesser trade with Kyle Orton instead, so I think it's safe to say that McD isn't very high on Campbell.

TailgateNut
01-06-2010, 06:41 AM
I for one is always as positive and upbeat as an optimist on ecstasy.

Are you sure? You seem to be a reed in the wind.Hilarious!

I'm still waiting for a response to the post above!

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showpost.php?p=2705374&postcount=115

jhat01
01-06-2010, 06:48 AM
Are you sure? You seem to be a reed in the wind.Hilarious!

I'm still waiting for a response to the post above!

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showpost.php?p=2705374&postcount=115

Ha! Wooden Shoes! Ha!

TheElusiveKyleOrton
01-06-2010, 06:50 AM
Would it help to point out that things were said in the media immediately after the Broncos' season ended last year that ended up being the polar opposite of reality? (If the immediate postgame interviews had been what really happened, we'd still have Shanahan and Slowik).

Lately, what Bowlen says... is not necessarily what Bowlen (or his coaches/GM) does.

Uh... link? More information? A quote?

TheElusiveKyleOrton
01-06-2010, 06:58 AM

You'll be missed.

TailgateNut
01-06-2010, 07:04 AM
You'll be missed.

:spit: just like rasta, bf7, jhns and a wart would be missed:spit:

L.A. BRONCOS FAN
01-06-2010, 07:18 AM
Bowlen knew his young coach, Josh McDan- iels, made a difficult decision when he decided to bench two of his best offensive players, Brandon Marshall and Tony Scheffler, with the playoffs potentially at stake.

"Unfortunately, we lost this game, but I have no problems with the coach," Bowlen said as he left the home locker room at Invesco Field. "He's my coach."

^ Can't argue with this part.

Having those two guys on the bench is no excuse for losing to the lowly Chiefs at home in a game with playoff implications.