PDA

View Full Version : Where has this Gaffney been all year?

Taco John
01-04-2010, 03:34 PM
I'm very optimistic by what Gaffney showed the last two weeks. After the New England game, I thought he'd be more crucial to us on third downs - but that didn't really pan out over the season.

You could tell that he was very psyched up for this game, knowing that he factored in as a crucial piece of the game plan. The fact that he hasn't really shown that until the last two weeks raises intrigue for me. Make me wonder if it's something psycological with Gaffney... Is it Orton not being able to make the second and third read? If that were the case, that raises hope for Eddie Royal, who I have to believe is still the talented professional that we saw last year. Is it the offensive game planning that is too narrow to get the most out of these guys? I don't know.

What I do know is that the last two weeks Gaffney has been CLUTCH.

Looking at his situational stats (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/5919/situational;_ylt=ApaX0cZTw7RWse8TaFFsFNn.uLYF), I'm impressed with what I see. He shows up on all three downs. And on third downs, he defines clutch. His 6 of 9 receptions there went for first downs.

I'm very comfortable having Gaffney catching footballs next year.

Pick Six
01-04-2010, 03:37 PM
The plan has been Marshall, Marshall, and more Marshall. I see it as a guy stepping up and proving he belongs on this team...

bpc
01-04-2010, 03:38 PM
He's been wasted all year like a bunch of other weapons on offense. Miscast is the best word for it.

Frankly, I would have slid Gaffney in out wide, along with Marshall and then had Royal as our 3rd WR, Stokely as our 4th, working the slots and underneath route.

Many people predicted and thought Royal's skillset was very similar to Welker, would be used the same. However McDaniels didn't use him in that position to the surprise of many of us and Royal had a crappy statistical year with only 37 catches.

BigPlayShay
01-04-2010, 03:43 PM
2nd most receptions in a season (54), and most yards in a season (732) for Gaff. Really liked what I saw out of him this season and the last 2 games, especially considering a McD has mentioned that they moved him all over the place as he knows the offense and the receiver positions so well.

KevinJames
01-04-2010, 03:44 PM
I agree Gaffney has been very clutch I am very pleased with him.

the more I think about it the more I am starting to be on board with the we need a new QB thing, Royal is a good WR and Gaff proved he can be too I think McDaniels system is working and WRs are getting open but Orton really has to do a better job getting the 2nd and 3rd options the ball more.

say we trade Marshall for a 1 and 3 and we draft a guy like Dez Bryant put him and Gaffney wide and royal in the slot and I think we could see more production out of our WRs but we might need a change at QB.

2KBack
01-04-2010, 03:48 PM
I think he's been pretty clutch all year, he seemed to pop up at crucial times a lot.

What I find really encouraging is that I feel that a lot of Gaffney's success is because he is the most experienced with the system. This means that given time a lot of the other receivers may start to make similar, if not better, contributions as they become comfortable.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
01-04-2010, 03:49 PM
Man, if we could keep Marshall and line Royal up in the slot with Gaffney on the other side...

Oh man...

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/4pXfHLUlZf4&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/4pXfHLUlZf4&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

HEAV
01-04-2010, 03:57 PM
Stuck behind a midget kick returner....

ZONA
01-04-2010, 03:58 PM
Any WR that can't put up stats on a lousy Chiefs defense should not be here. He had a nice game, but who really expected him not to? I actually love our WR players. I have no doubts they are not the problem on offense. The guy throwing the ball and the interior line need upgraded.

Borks147
01-04-2010, 03:59 PM
I strongly believe that Marshall's production, and Gaffney's on Sunday, is due to the team's unfamiliarity with the offense this year. It can't be a coincidence that whoever the number one read is has disproportionally so many more targets. I have high hopes for this offense in its second year, especially with better run-blocking.

I also think this is why Orton will most definitely be the QB for next year - why would McD go this year's growing pains just to dump him for what, a rookie? nein

Popps
01-04-2010, 04:02 PM
Taco,

Gaffney played a different position on Sunday. He wouldn't have been running those routes with Marshall around. Clearly, he's suited if we need him to, though.

I agree... he's great to have around. I was very happy with him before Sunday. Another smart pick-up.

DBroncos4life
01-04-2010, 04:11 PM
I think he had a great first half even with the drops. The problem is what happened to him after half-time? KC pressed him and he struggled. Honestly I think he would put up OK numbers in Marshall's place but he would be non existent against good CB's.

The MVPlaya
01-04-2010, 04:16 PM
Gaf was playing a different position.

We all thought Royal was but he has shown to be a different play than Wes... just because they're both short doesn't mean they're the same.

The 1 "route" I only saw Broncos execute a couple times this year is the route that Wes get's most of his receptions from. I'm not sure what you call it, but Wes runs over the middle, stops and turns to Brady. Then he breaks off left or right. It seems as if it's a "broken play" or a last read for Brady.

We ran this with Scheffler on a 4th down when we were near the red zone (I forgot against who).

But this single "route"/play is extremely productive, especially when it can be used as a last read.

broncogary
01-04-2010, 04:30 PM
I think he came out in the same draft as Lelie, and many mock drafts had us picking him in the first round. He ended up going to the Texans in the second, and did absolutely nothing for several years. When his contract was up, he went to the Pats, and surprised me when he started to make some catches.

Apparently the guy has really worked hard to make himself into a good receiver. Congrats to him and good for us.

SportinOne
01-04-2010, 04:32 PM
A combination of the following:

1. Orton locks on 1 receiver the majority of the time. Usually this is Marshall because...
2. This offense makes it possible for the number 1 receiver to be open a lot and...
3. he usually doesn't wait around in the pocket very long. Not that I blame him.

A better line and more familiarity will make Orton better but I still say he's a stop gap and should be upgraded at first chance.

Archer81
01-04-2010, 04:36 PM
Brandon Lloyd made some plays yesterday as well.

:Broncos:

tsiguy96
01-04-2010, 04:39 PM
behind royal, same with lloyd. the exact thing that frank schaub of CSG has been saying all year, royal is having a down year and should not have been the 2nd WR.

gyldenlove
01-04-2010, 04:43 PM
Gaffney lined up in the slot a lot yesterday, he runs routes over the middle very well and is good at getting in a situation where Orton can put the ball ahead of him and he can run into it and make the catch with his body between the ball and the defender.

Gaffney doesn't get enough seperation to work the outside stuff too much, but he is good over the middle - this also comes down the Chiefs having incredibly poor pass covering linebackers.

I liked what I saw yesterday and I think Gaffney fits really well in a defense where he can play the middle a lot (like Stokley used to) and others can spread the defense by playing wide.

barryr
01-04-2010, 05:03 PM
I would like to see more of Gaffney and less of Stokley, who really other than a few plays, wasn't much of a factor all season.

The Joker
01-04-2010, 05:06 PM
The offense we run calls for one of the receivers to be the first read for an unusually large percentage of plays.

For most of the season, that was Marshall, yesterday it was Gaffney.

Had Marshall played yesterday, Gaffney would have had somewhere between 2 and 4 receptions just as he generally does.

The first read guy is generally running some sort of route that is designed to get maybe 5 yards, and if the receiver picks up something after the catch then that's great. They'll keep feeding him time and time again until the defense makes a concentrated effort to take it away.

The idea is that when that happens, you stretch the field. Moss is an absolute nightmare to stop in the offense, because once a team has to make an effort to take away Welker (the first read guy more often than not) dinking and dunking them to death, Moss is going to be in single coverage down the field.

Look at when Welker went down yesterday. In comes Edelman, takes over at Welker's spot and puts up 10 receptions for 103 yards. It's the system that makes Welker what he is, no two ways about it, and I don't see them missing Welker much at all if I'm honest.

I still think Royal should be the guy moving forward that plays that role on our offense. Reliable hands, decent at picking up YAC, runs nice routes.

What we need though is someone who can play that Moss role for us. A big, fast guy who can win some jump balls. We've not had that all year, and I'll be surprised if it's not high on the list of priorities this offseason, especially once we ship Marshall out.

Atwater His Ass
01-04-2010, 05:08 PM
It's Orton. He locks in on WR's worse than a rookie. Since Orton hardly ever goes through his progressions and Marshall is usually the 1st read, well you do the math. Gaffney steps in for Marshall, with similiar results.

Archer81
01-04-2010, 05:15 PM
It's Orton. He locks in on WR's worse than a rookie. Since Orton hardly ever goes through his progressions and Marshall is usually the 1st read, well you do the math. Gaffney steps in for Marshall, with similiar results.

Im wondering if its more a result of the system than Orton just picking one guy and going to him no matter what.

elsid13
01-04-2010, 05:24 PM
Im wondering if its more a result of the system than Orton just picking one guy and going to him no matter what.

I think it a little of both. Orton goes for his first read has tendency to stick even if there are better options on the field.

Taco John
01-04-2010, 05:28 PM

Similar, but minus the YAC.

Atwater His Ass
01-04-2010, 05:44 PM

what's the difference?

same result either way, except it's a stubborn coach that refuses to mold his system around the players available and instead just rams it down their throats.

boltaneer
01-04-2010, 06:22 PM
So your coach doesn't know how to use a player he has coached for four years now? That's got to be comforting to know.

mhgaffney
01-04-2010, 06:58 PM
I agree. Gaff had a great game and a solid season.

But then I'm biased ;D

jhns
01-04-2010, 07:05 PM
I didn't expect much from him when he came here. He has looked good all season. At least we know receiver isn't a need now, at least as long as Marshall is here.

Bronx33
01-04-2010, 07:09 PM
The plan has been Marshall, Marshall, and more Marshall. I see it as a guy stepping up and proving he belongs on this team...

I agree gaffney helps smooth this BM bullshyt over very nicely it actually gives BM less leverage in yet another debacle to end the year and i thought brandon put all this stuff behind him.

broncofan
01-04-2010, 07:09 PM
Consistency is what separates good receivers from great ones. He was essentially our #1 option yesterday, but I find it difficult to believe he would be able to sustain that kind of production week to week for an entire season as a 1.

WABronco
01-04-2010, 07:14 PM
Good player, can play any position, and plays hard. We've got him through his prime so that's one spot on the depth chart taken care of.

Lloyd has been a tease his entire career. Don't count on anything from him.

broncofan
01-04-2010, 07:17 PM
So your coach doesn't know how to use a player he has coached for four years now? That's got to be comforting to know.

Irrelevant.

His production mirrors that of Malcolm Floyd, who's been in your system for 6 years and trumps Kassim Osgood's...who has managed a meager 33 catches in 7 seasons there. How is he still on your roster anyway?

boltaneer
01-04-2010, 10:42 PM
Irrelevant.

His production mirrors that of Malcolm Floyd, who's been in your system for 6 years and trumps Kassim Osgood's...who has managed a meager 33 catches in 7 seasons there. How is he still on your roster anyway?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kassim_Osgood

Osgood was named as a member of the 2007 Pro Bowl, 2008 Pro Bowl, and 2010 Pro Bowl squads, each time as the AFC special teams representative.

~Crash~
01-04-2010, 10:46 PM
He's been wasted all year like a bunch of other weapons on offense. Miscast is the best word for it.

Frankly, I would have slid Gaffney in out wide, along with Marshall and then had Royal as our 3rd WR, Stokely as our 4th, working the slots and underneath route.

Many people predicted and thought Royal's skillset was very similar to Welker, would be used the same. However McDaniels didn't use him in that position to the surprise of many of us and Royal had a crappy statistical year with only 37 catches.

that is the whole deal in a nut shell

Pontius Pirate
01-04-2010, 11:02 PM
I'm sure it didn't have anything to do with defenses ignoring him

~Crash~
01-04-2010, 11:09 PM

they did seem to catch on the second half.

strafen
01-04-2010, 11:29 PM
I'm very optimistic by what Gaffney showed the last two weeks. After the New England game, I thought he'd be more crucial to us on third downs - but that didn't really pan out over the season.

You could tell that he was very psyched up for this game, knowing that he factored in as a crucial piece of the game plan. The fact that he hasn't really shown that until the last two weeks raises intrigue for me. Make me wonder if it's something psycological with Gaffney... Is it Orton not being able to make the second and third read? If that were the case, that raises hope for Eddie Royal, who I have to believe is still the talented professional that we saw last year. Is it the offensive game planning that is too narrow to get the most out of these guys? I don't know.

What I do know is that the last two weeks Gaffney has been CLUTCH.

Looking at his situational stats (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/5919/situational;_ylt=ApaX0cZTw7RWse8TaFFsFNn.uLYF), I'm impressed with what I see. He shows up on all three downs. And on third downs, he defines clutch. His 6 of 9 receptions there went for first downs.

I'm very comfortable having Gaffney catching footballs next year.You called it.
You could have an all star offensive receiver corps on the field at th same time all game long, and at the end of the game, the stats will be heavily favored to one player.
We didn't do a very good job spreading the ball this year.
Marshall, our leading receiver had 101 catches, almost 2:1 to his nearest teammate which it was Gaffney who enede with 54 catches, 14 of those came in the last game against KC.
In the KC game Gaffney had 14 catches, the second receiver with most passes caught was Stokley with 5

That was pretty much the story all season long...

broncocalijohn
01-04-2010, 11:39 PM
Stuck behind a midget kick returner....

yes, because all kick returners have been over 6 foot 4 inches. Glyn Milburn was a midget too and we had no problems with his return game. Gaff was somebody that knew the routes as I watched him at the Browns game. Orton just seems to lock onto one guy and this last game was no exception.

Broncos4tw
01-05-2010, 12:45 AM
Like I said elsewhere, our receivers didn't suddenly forget how to run a route, get open, catch a ball. Orton locks onto one guy. Primary receiver. #1. That's it. Gaf was the man, and no suprise, at half, he had 11 receptions, while 3 other receivers had 1 each. The facts speak for themselves.

bpc
01-05-2010, 12:51 AM
Like I said elsewhere, our receivers didn't suddenly forget how to run a route, get open, catch a ball. Orton locks onto one guy. Primary receiver. #1. That's it. Gaf was the man, and no suprise, at half, he had 11 receptions, while 3 other receivers had 1 each. The facts speak for themselves.

You can't reason with the folks around here. It's easier to say that Eddie Royal is a bust and couldn't get open, vs. saying anything disparaging against their man crush McD and his boy lover Neckbeard.

maher_tyler
01-05-2010, 03:32 AM
I think it a little of both. Orton goes for his first read has tendency to stick even if there are better options on the field.

It would explain the multiple 3 and outs most games. If our run game wasn't doing anything and the 1st read was covered...we were screwed! Orton can't make something out of nothing if his life depended on it, absolutely ZERO ability to scramble. He will never be more than an above average QB, even in his best year! If we sign him to more than a 1 year deal, i pray we can find something in free agency or Brandstater steps up! Orton is almost identical to Plummer, a lot of heart, just not enough physical tools!

watermock
01-05-2010, 04:22 AM
Beavis put Royal #2 and Stokely in the slot. He's an idiot.

We didn't see Gaffney, or Lloyd at all. Or Hillis on catches or ever Moreno.

Beavis sucks.

Drek
01-05-2010, 07:49 AM

This was specifically discussed by McDaniels before the season even started. He said Royal was going to be the #2 but see a healthy majority of the routes Randy Moss runs in NE.

The reasoning he used behind this was that Royal had the kind of speed needed to stretch the field. Reading between the lines reveals that what McDaniels was also saying was that Marshall did not have that same kind of speed.

In McDaniels offense it is integral to have that field stretching WR, as that opens up all the underneath routes for the Welker type slot WR and the intermediate routes for what Gaffney did for them.

The big rub for that field stretcher role in the current Broncos offense is that Orton isn't Tom Brady and so his deep ball, at least in '09, wasn't good enough to make a couple big plays a game to that field stretcher.

Orton had a pretty good deep ball in college and he showed better deep passing this year than ever before in his NFL career, so there is a legit chance he'll continue to grow in that capacity. But if Marshall does move on I'd expect a fast, tall field stretching WR more accurately like Randy Moss with Royal moving to the true slot role he would give the most production in, and Gaffney taking full time ownership of the intermediate routes typically given to Marshall and that Gaffney excelled with this past Sunday.

Old Dude
01-05-2010, 02:33 PM

Important point. It's tempting to say that this was just Orton locking on to one guy, play after play, but the fact is that Gaffney was getting open through most of the first half, and as long as a WR keeps getting open, you keep feeding him the ball.

WolfpackGuy
01-05-2010, 02:43 PM
Orton had a pretty good deep ball in college and he showed better deep passing this year than ever before in his NFL career, so there is a legit chance he'll continue to grow in that capacity.

Orton can throw it long, but it takes him forever to throw it, and he doesn't know where it's going.

That's kind of a problem.

kamakazi_kal
01-05-2010, 02:44 PM
The offense we run calls for one of the receivers to be the first read for an unusually large percentage of plays.

For most of the season, that was Marshall, yesterday it was Gaffney.

Had Marshall played yesterday, Gaffney would have had somewhere between 2 and 4 receptions just as he generally does.

The first read guy is generally running some sort of route that is designed to get maybe 5 yards, and if the receiver picks up something after the catch then that's great. They'll keep feeding him time and time again until the defense makes a concentrated effort to take it away.

The idea is that when that happens, you stretch the field. Moss is an absolute nightmare to stop in the offense, because once a team has to make an effort to take away Welker (the first read guy more often than not) dinking and dunking them to death, Moss is going to be in single coverage down the field.

Look at when Welker went down yesterday. In comes Edelman, takes over at Welker's spot and puts up 10 receptions for 103 yards. It's the system that makes Welker what he is, no two ways about it, and I don't see them missing Welker much at all if I'm honest.

I still think Royal should be the guy moving forward that plays that role on our offense. Reliable hands, decent at picking up YAC, runs nice routes.

What we need though is someone who can play that Moss role for us. A big, fast guy who can win some jump balls. We've not had that all year, and I'll be surprised if it's not high on the list of priorities this offseason, especially once we ship Marshall out.

Moss is a hell of a talent an I think is unique in this league say for maybe one or two others.
Marshall does have the ability to get deep. We have seen it in years past. I don't think he's been asked to run deeper routes as much this year. Most are short YAC plays ..... don't know if that's just game plan or Orton ..... I'd like to think it's Orton ...... some of those balls just hang there when he goes deep. It's like slowmo.