PDA

View Full Version : Look ahead to FA and draft

gyldenlove
01-04-2010, 01:14 PM
We can't continue this looking back, Popps head will explode if he has to defend the excellent playcalling and minor dip in all important offensive stats any more.

So, lets look at who is coming and who is going.

Free agents:

Elvis Dumervil, Chris Kuper, Brandon Marshall, Tony Scheffler, Kyle Orton, Ben Hamilton, Vonnie Holliday, Ty Law, Mitch Berger. (Feel free to add people I forgot).

Dumervil seems a lock to return, either with a tender or a big contract.
Kuper should return, I am guessing with a tender unless a new CBA is done.
Orton, I don't see anyway Mcdaniels lets both Orton and Simms walk and since we all know Simms has 0 cred at Dove Valley Orton is staying, most likely a 1 year tender.
Marshall and Scheffler seem gone, but as we have seen things can change.
Hamilton will probably not come back, he isn't the guy he used to be and with Mcdaniels wanting to play a power system he is not the guy.
Holliday could very well come back for another year.
Law is most likely gone, but could return next year late in the offseason or early in the season.
Berger should be gone if there is any justice, he has fluctuated between good and awful, but his top level is not high enough to accept that kind of inconsistent play.

Cuts:

Chris Simms, this one seems like a no brainer, when he got pulled in the San Diego game we knew he was a goner.
Vernon Fox, bye bye, with Mcbath back from IR the Fox is gone.
Jarvis Moss, we won't take a cap hit from cutting him due to the CBA being expired, so I expect us to Moss free by the final cut of the 2010 roster.

Restructures:

Champ Bailey, he is due to make 8 million and he is not worth it anymore - he can be beaten deep and while he still tackles well he is giving people a big cushion now and allowing passes to be completed underneath.
Daniel Graham, he is not even remotely worth what we are paying him. His blocking is good without being game changing and his fingers couldn't be any slippery if he used 10W40 instead of hand soap.

FA:

WR: If Marshall goes we need to address the WR position, we all know that rookies are not counted on in Mcdaniels scheme so this will probably have to be FA.
OL: Depending on Seth Olsen we might add another OG/OC in FA, I wouldn't be surprised to see a veteran who gets cut elsewhere end up in Denver.
OLB: I am 100% confident we add an OLB in free agency. Moss is not doing it, Haggan is strictly a run stopper and Ayers has been a bit of a disappointment, the big name guys would be Peppers and Merriman, but Ray Edwards from Minnesota is quite interesting as well. Aaron Schobel who could be on his way out in Buffalo is also an option, he wants to be with a good team and Mcdaniels and Nolan might just be able to talk him into taking a year or two before retiring like they did with Dawkins.

Draft:

CB: I have no doubt we are drafting CB, we have only 1 who is under 31 when next season starts.
QB: This wouldn't surprise me one bit, Mcdaniels likes to have 3 on the roster and even if Brandstater pans out and Orton is retained having a prospect is not a bad idea.
DL: We didn't see enough out of our DL to assume that we are set, LeKevin Smith didn't get to play much but may be decent, Mcbean does seem to have a longterm future in Denver, but both Peterson and Holliday are getting into the trouble years for age.
TE: Who would be surprised if we draft a TE? not me. We need 3 and if Scheffler leaves that leaves an empty spot, TEs are nice since you can get one of the better players in a lower round compared to many other positions.

Cmac821
01-04-2010, 02:01 PM
This is a step in the right direction, good post

Doggcow
01-04-2010, 02:04 PM
Bring in Mangold and Jahri Evans.

snowspot66
01-04-2010, 02:05 PM
I think Ayers is fine. Don't know why he is considered a disappointment. A rookie making a position change and still saw a lot of playing time. Seems about right to me.

Doggcow
01-04-2010, 02:08 PM
I think Ayers is fine. Don't know why he is considered a disappointment. A rookie making a position change and still saw a lot of playing time. Seems about right to me.

He's getting better every game too. He's made more and more of an impact all season. I rarely see him getting sealed inside anymore, which happened early in the season, and he is keeping contain on the edge well now.

PRBronco
01-04-2010, 02:18 PM

Haha, I think Ayers led the team in "second guy on the QB" sacks. If he could find a way to slow Doom down a half step, he'd have 10 sacks on the year!

That being said, a lack of defensive playmakers was once again our undoing. An impact DE, and an inside linebacker with a better head for the game would make a huge difference. I'm not against experimenting with Andra's brain in DJ's body.

Elway777
01-04-2010, 02:27 PM
I like the idea of going after Schobel.Having Dumervil and Schobel rushing the passer would be tough to defend. Maybe the Broncos get a first and a 3 round picks for Marshall they could trade Marcus Thomas plus 3 rounder for Schobel. I also like the Broncos going after Corey Williams from CLeveland . Williams makes a ton of money in Cleveland and is just a backup. Maybe Broncos trade Scheffler plus a 3 round pick for Williams.

bloodsunday
01-04-2010, 02:30 PM
I heard McDaniels reference getting beat in the trenches on both lines every game for the past 3 games. I would say it's a safe bet you'll see 2 new starters on OL and as many as 2 - 3 new starters in the front 7 on D.

PRBronco
01-04-2010, 02:32 PM
I like the idea of going after Schobel.Having Dumervil and Schobel rushing the passer would be tough to defend. Maybe the Broncos get a first and a 3 round picks for Marshall they could trade Marcus Thomas plus 3 rounder for Schobel. I also like the Broncos going after Corey Williams from CLeveland . Williams makes a ton of money in Cleveland and is just a backup. Maybe Broncos trade Scheffler plus a 3 round pick for Williams.

I feel like Schobel would struggle transitioning to a 3-4 OLB the way Aaron Kampman did in GB, and Kampman's the better player. Maybe I'm just being racist.

SonOfLe-loLang
01-04-2010, 02:35 PM

The maaaaaaaaaad scientist!

barryr
01-04-2010, 02:37 PM
If the Broncos are not going to play both Dumervil and Ayers together, which they rarely, if ever did this season, then finding a DL that can generate some kind of pass rush is vital since just having one guys isn't enough.

I will be glad Hamilton leaves. He is either missing blocks or committing penalties.

Graham didn't help himself at all the last game especially.

I have stated many times about Champ and making too much money for not being the playmaker he once was.

Elway777
01-04-2010, 02:43 PM
I feel like Schobel would struggle transitioning to a 3-4 OLB the way Aaron Kampman did in GB, and Kampman's the better player. Maybe I'm just being racist. I don't think Buffalo would be willing to trade Schobel anyway because pass rushers like Schobel are hard to find. I think Corey Williams is possible. If the Broncos could trade for Corey Williams then add Franklin at nose tackle then the Broncos bring alot of size to defensive line. Then drafting McClain with 10 pick our defensive would be looking real strong.

gyldenlove
01-04-2010, 02:48 PM
I feel like Schobel would struggle transitioning to a 3-4 OLB the way Aaron Kampman did in GB, and Kampman's the better player. Maybe I'm just being racist.

Scholeb and his less jewish brother Schobel are both better against the run than Kampman in my view and I think would fit better on the outside, the knock on Kampan going outside was coverage and ability to move laterally.

gyldenlove
01-04-2010, 02:49 PM
I don't think Buffalo would be willing to trade Schobel anyway because pass rushers like Schobel are hard to find. I think Corey Williams is possible. If the Broncos could trade for Corey Williams then add Franklin at nose tackle then the Broncos bring alot of size to defensive line. Then drafting McClain with 10 pick our defensive would be looking real strong.

Schobel is having a meeting with the owner to discuss his future, he is due to make over 6 mill next year and wants to play for a good team, Buffalo isn't looking like one right now. He is considering retirement according to rumors, so I think if something could be worked out both parties would be happy to make a deal, Buffalo gets some assets and Schobel gets to a team with a coach who can convince him they will win.

HEAV
01-04-2010, 03:42 PM
http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=88129