PDA

View Full Version : Draft Picks in 2010???

Denver724
01-04-2010, 09:26 AM
Sounds like there will be a coin flip between us and the Jags for #10 and #11. Our pick to Seattle is #14.

Thoughts.

The season could not have ended any worse (other than starting 2-4 and finishing with 4 wins).

Bears win out and take the pick from 8 to 11 (worse case scenario).

Our pick to Seattle is an absolute disaster. This pick went from the high 20's to the low 20's and then to the mid teens. If anything, I hope this teaches McD a lesson. I guess if Smith was a stud I would feel better. I wonder if McD thought Smith could be a starter in 2010 opposite Goodman. This way, we would have had more leverage when asking Baily to take a pay cut. Unfortunately, it did not turn out this way.

One positive with our pick is we move up in the 2nd-7th rounds. We should be able to get a good player in the mid 2nd (with all the juniors coming out).

Does anyone else have any thoughts concerning the situation?

I think we will get another pick for Marshall, but who knows where it will be or who wants him.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/01/04/2010-nfl-draft-order/

2010 NFL Draft Order

For the first time ever, the top 20 picks in the NFL Draft will be made up exclusively of teams that didn't make the playoffs. The playoff teams will make up the final 12 picks, depending on results.

Ties in record are broken by strength of schedule. Ties in strength of schedule can be broken by division or conference tiebreakers, but those weren't applicable in the top 20 this year.

Three ties will be determined later based on a coin flip. We've starred any picks that still need a coin flip. Here goes:

1. St. Louis (1-15)
2. Detroit (2-14)
3. Tampa Bay (3-13)
4. Washington (4-12)
5. Kansas City (4-12)
6. Seattle (5-11)
7. Cleveland (5-11)
8. Oakland (5-11)
9. Buffalo (6-10)
10t. Denver (Traded from Chicago) (7-9)
10t. Jacksonville (7-9) (http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=3700)
12. Miami (7-9)
13. San Francisco (8-8)
14. Seattle (Traded from Denver) (8-8)
15. New York Giants (8-8)
16t. Tennessee (8-8)
16t. San Francisco (Traded from Carolina) (8-8)
18. Pittsburgh (9-7)
19t. Atlanta (9-7) (http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=3700)
19t. Houston (9-7)

Picks 21-24 will be the wild card round losers. Picks 25-28 will be the divisional round losers. Picks 29-30 will be the conference championship losers. Pick 31 will be the Super Bowl loser. Pick 32 will be the Super Bowl winner.

TheDave
01-04-2010, 09:32 AM
Sounds like there will be a coin flip between us and the Jags for #10 and #11. Our pick to Seattle is #14.

Thoughts.

The season could not have ended any worse (other than starting 2-4 and finishing with 4 wins).

Bears win out and take the pick from 8 to 11 (worse case scenario).

Our pick to Seattle is an absolute disaster. This pick went from the high 20's to the low 20's and then to the mid teens. If anything, I hope this teaches McD a lesson. I guess if Smith was a stud I would feel better. I wonder if McD thought Smith could be a starter in 2010 opposite Goodman. This way, we would have had more leverage when asking Baily to take a pay cut. Unfortunately, it did not turn out this way.

One positive with our pick is we move up in the 2nd-7th rounds. We should be able to get a good player in the mid 2nd (with all the juniors coming out).

Does anyone else have any thoughts concerning the situation?

I think we will get another pick for Marshall, but who knows where it will be or who wants him.

As with everything else this season things ended badly... The Bears pick is not as big of a deal, but the A. Smith trade looks real bad. Now obviously if smith turns into a player then his draft position doesn't matter. Unfortunately if he continues to struggle this trade will continue to look worse and worse.

cousinal11
01-04-2010, 09:39 AM
I asked this question in another thread, but havn't gotten an answer. What compensation will we receive if someone else signs Marshall?

TheDave
01-04-2010, 09:41 AM
I asked this question in another thread, but havn't gotten an answer. What compensation will we receive if someone else signs Marshall?

Depends on the CBA and whether or not he becomes a RFA.

oubronco
01-04-2010, 09:51 AM

he will be a RFA and be tendered, what they tender him is still to be seen but has been speculated a high tender which I believe is a 1st and 3rd

Ramathorn
01-04-2010, 09:56 AM

not enough for a player of his caliber

Mr.Meanie
01-04-2010, 10:03 AM
I love the new drafting format. That's the way it should always have been.

bpc
01-04-2010, 10:05 AM

Unfortunately, we're getting limabeans for dinner, and that's what we're going to eat.

titan
01-04-2010, 10:56 AM

It could have been alot worse, if it weren't for that 6-0 start. The worst move McDaniels made was trading that pick. Worst draft choice trade since Red Miller traded a future #1 for qb Matt Robinson (Robinson only lasted 1 year in Denver)

At least in 2010 if the Broncos stink we'll have a very early #1 draft choice (I doubt McD will trade 2010's #1)

Drek
01-04-2010, 11:07 AM

And it'll likely be way too much of a person of his caliber, so it all balances out.

1st and a 3rd for the right to pay the next T.O. (including all the team damaging bull****) over $9M a season sounds like a hell of a deal to me.

TheDave
01-04-2010, 11:21 AM
And it'll likely be way too much of a person of his caliber, so it all balances out.

1st and a 3rd for the right to pay the next T.O. (including all the team damaging bull****) over $9M a season sounds like a hell of a deal to me.

I highly doubt were going to get a 1st and a 3rd... Every team is well aware that Brandon and McDaniels can not co-exist. The odds are they will all wait to see if we cut him or just fan the flames and see how he reacts to his RFA tender.

We might get lucky, but I'm not real confident in that right now.

Aftermath
01-04-2010, 11:23 AM
Draft the man in my avatar!

Denver724
01-04-2010, 11:31 AM
I highly doubt were going to get a 1st and a 3rd... Every team is well aware that Brandon and McDaniels can not co-exist. The odds are they will all wait to see if we cut him or just fan the flames and see how he reacts to his RFA tender.

I doubt we cut him. We will keep him to prove a point. I think McD would relish this. Pay him 3 million a year to stay home (suspended every week or whatever). Heck, we may not have to pay him if he acts like a true ass. Should be fun to watch.

TheDave
01-04-2010, 11:33 AM
I doubt we cut him. We will keep him to prove a point. I think McD would relish this. Pay him 3 million a year to stay home (suspended every week or whatever). Heck, we may not have to pay him if he acts like a true ass. Should be fun to watch.

I don't think they want to deal with this powder keg anymore... It wouldn't shock me if they did cut him. I doubt they will but it wouldn't shock me.

Denver724
01-04-2010, 11:42 AM
I don't think they want to deal with this powder keg anymore... It wouldn't shock me if they did cut him. I doubt they will but it wouldn't shock me.

I hope not.

TheDave
01-04-2010, 11:44 AM
I hope not.

Agree... Hell I hope some dumb assed desperate team offers 2 #1's for the guy.

Who knows, maybe Shanny would be willing to throw a pick and a player to us.

eddie mac
01-04-2010, 12:12 PM

If you think Denver's front office is stupid enough not to get at least 1st and 3rd value for Marshall then you haven't been around long enough to know how they work.

Infact if a CBA is done, Marshall will be franchised, if he isn't everyone involved in the Broncos set-up should be ****ed off out the door.

eddie mac
01-04-2010, 12:15 PM

Wasn't the Cutler/McDaniels relationship on the same footing yet we had teams queueing up to land JC, now I'm not saying we're going to get anywhere near the same value but young WR's who catch 100 balls a year and reach pro-bowls come at a high price.

Furthermore you do not cut a player of his value just because he throws a strop or quits on his team, what on earth kind of example is that to give any player who becomes unhappy with his surroundings. We groomed him, we developed him and we deserve the appropriate compensation regardless of how big a Me-Me asshole he really is.

WolfpackGuy
01-04-2010, 12:18 PM
If you think Denver's front office is stupid enough not to get at least 1st and 3rd value for Marshall then you haven't been around long enough to know how they work.

Infact if a CBA is done, Marshall will be franchised, if he isn't everyone involved in the Broncos set-up should be ****ed off out the door.

It wouldn't be surprising to me if Marshall and Scheffler were cut outright.

The new regime seems more interested in making a point rather than making a sound decision.

And that has other teams licking their chops.

TheDave
01-04-2010, 12:18 PM
Wasn't the Cutler/McDaniels relationship on the same footing yet we had teams queueing up to land JC, now I'm not saying we're going to get anywhere near the same value but young WR's who catch 100 balls a year and reach pro-bowls come at a high price.

Cutler wasn't one off field issue away from a 8 game suspension. Nor did McDaniels suspend cutler twice the previous season.

So no, I don't see any similarities between the 2 scenarios.

But I do agree that Brandon has good value, I'm just not sure we are going to get it.

gyldenlove
01-04-2010, 12:27 PM
he will be a RFA and be tendered, what they tender him is still to be seen but has been speculated a high tender which I believe is a 1st and 3rd

Just put the Franchise tender on him, then it is 2 1st rounders.

gyldenlove
01-04-2010, 12:33 PM

Furthermore you do not cut a player of his value just because he throws a strop or quits on his team, what on earth kind of example is that to give any player who becomes unhappy with his surroundings. We groomed him, we developed him and we deserve the appropriate compensation regardless of how big a Me-Me a-hole he really is.

I agree with everything you said. Marshall has been on worse standing in Denver prior to this and it is not a given that he is gone. Mcdaniels strong armed him last year and it worked out.

The bad example was set last year when the Jay Cutler fiasco exploded like a can of baked beans left in direct sunlight, it showed that if you are difficult enough you can get out. Marshall knows this and he knows that the team is in a position where they can't keep him against his will much longer, at most we get 1 more year at about 3.5 million and then it is bye bye.

This is a bad year for trades since many teams who carry around big contracts with underperforming players will cut them since there is no cap hit to consider, so the free agent market will be richer than ever and with teams like the Giants and Redskins not making the playoffs there will be quite a bit of money going around.

LetsGoBroncos
01-04-2010, 12:43 PM
Am I the only one around here that:

A - Doesn't think Alphonso Smith is awful

B - Wasn't expecitng a rookie on this roster to play a ton with Bailey and Goodman as the starters

C - Assumed it would take a year or two for him to develop?

Jekyll15Hyde
01-04-2010, 12:44 PM

Why would they even begin to think about cutting him??? He is worst at least 2 draft picks.

I would expect the bidding to increase and an 11th hour deal is cut

snowspot66
01-04-2010, 12:46 PM
Please. Think about this rationally. Somebody will trade for him. Or he'll be tagged and forced to play. And play at a high level if he wants to get a real contract.

Teams will give up the value to ensure they land him just like they did with Cutler. If you think you have a chance to get a player of that caliber you don't wait around. You go out and do it and if you win you're a genius. If you fail you're ****ed. But you always try. There will always be a coach out there that will be willing to treat them with kid gloves and let them get away with anything they want.

Doggcow
01-04-2010, 12:47 PM
Please. Think about this rationally. Somebody will trade for him. Or he'll be tagged and forced to play. And play at a high level if he wants to get a real contract.

Teams will give up the value to ensure they land him just like they did with Cutler. If you think you have a chance to get a player of that caliber you don't wait around. You go out and do it and if you win you're a genius. If you fail you're ****ed. But you always try. There will always be a coach out there that will be willing to treat them with kid gloves and let them get away with anything they want.

I agree. ****, Seattle gave up a first for Deon Branch a couple years ago.

snowspot66
01-04-2010, 12:48 PM
Am I the only one around here that:

A - Doesn't think Alphonso Smith is awful

B - Wasn't expecitng a rookie on this roster to play a ton with Bailey and Goodman as the starters

C - Assumed it would take a year or two for him to develop?

No. But that is rational thinking.

He was looking decent before he got a bit dinged up.

People knock his size but his size is comparable to pretty much every pro bowl CB last year. He may never be a HoF CB but I'm sure he'll become a starter for us in the near future. We had some excellent CB play this year. It's no surprise he didn't start.

LetsGoBroncos
01-04-2010, 12:50 PM

People knock his size but his size is comparable to pretty much every pro bowl CB last year. He may never be a HoF CB but I'm sure he'll become a starter for us in the near future. We had some excellent CB play this year. It's no surprise he didn't start.

It just seems like everyone feels like he is worse than Roc Alexander or something. I assumed when we drafted him it would take a year or two before he made an impact. Not sure why other's thought he would be so great right off the bat

Doggcow
01-04-2010, 12:53 PM
It just seems like everyone feels like he is worse than Roc Alexander or something. I assumed when we drafted him it would take a year or two before he made an impact. Not sure why other's thought he would be so great right off the bat

Because a first this year for a near first last year (its like 17 spots difference or something now isnt it?) is actually a really good trade. But people hold first rounders extremely high, and are holding a 33rd (or something) pick to top 5 pick standards... We won't even be picking high enough for an elite player anyway!

HILife
01-04-2010, 01:29 PM
i love the new drafting format. That's the way it should always have been.

+1

gyldenlove
01-04-2010, 01:51 PM

He was looking decent right up until the point when Ty Law took his job and then Tony Carter took his job as a dime back and Chilenz ran right over his ass to win a mustwin game.

Are you surprised he ended the season 5th on the depth chart behind two free agent midseason signees?

TheDave
01-04-2010, 01:57 PM
He was looking decent right up until the point when Ty Law took his job and then Tony Carter took his job as a dime back and Chilenz ran right over his ass to win a mustwin game.

Are you surprised he ended the season 5th on the depth chart behind two free agent midseason signees?

That's the part I don't get... There was talk after we drafted him that he could start. Since then he has dropped on the depth chart below ex-retired players and UDFA's.

No mattr how hard people try and sping this, A. Smith better improve next year SIGNIFICANTLY or everyone is going to remember how Mt. Coddy was sitting there at #14.

SonOfLe-loLang
01-04-2010, 01:58 PM
I love the new drafting format. That's the way it should always have been.

with the thurs and fri? I hate it. Im gonna be at work when it starts. I loved draft weekend

WolfpackGuy
01-04-2010, 01:59 PM
That pick would've been nice for ammunition to move up.

PRBronco
01-04-2010, 02:09 PM
That pick would've been nice for ammunition to move up.

And get....a playmaking corner who might need a year or two to develop, like most rookies? DAMN IT!

Mr.Meanie
01-04-2010, 03:53 PM
with the thurs and fri? I hate it. Im gonna be at work when it starts. I loved draft weekend

I do like that, but I actually meant that the 20 teams who missed the playoffs pick first.

barryr
01-04-2010, 04:01 PM
Strangely people are worried the Broncos gave up a 1st round pick in this draft, but bitch constantly at who the Broncos picked with their 2 1st rounders last year and already write them both off.

elsid13
01-04-2010, 04:03 PM
That's the part I don't get... There was talk after we drafted him that he could start. Since then he has dropped on the depth chart below ex-retired players and UDFA's.

No mattr how hard people try and sping this, A. Smith better improve next year SIGNIFICANTLY or everyone is going to remember how Mt. Coddy was sitting there at #14.

Smith has never played inside until became a Pro, he going to struggle learning how to nickle/dime position. I still think he has bright future in front of him, but it was stupid move to trade a #1 for him. That shows the lack of experience in the draft room last season.

Inkana7
01-04-2010, 04:55 PM
Smith was playing really well until he hurt his ankle around Week 6. Then Law and Carter came in. I dunno. But I liked what I saw in the beginning of the season.