PDA

View Full Version : Hpothetical: If the Texans fired Kubiak today...

Taco John
01-04-2010, 09:01 AM
...would you favor firing Josh to bring him in?

I ask because I think it would be stupid to fire a coach after only one year, but this situation would actually give me cause to reconsider that stance.

Gort
01-04-2010, 09:04 AM

I ask because I think it would be stupid to fire a coach after only one year, but this situation would actually give me cause to reconsider that stance.

kubiak is staying in HOU for 2010.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4794442

did you know Schaub led all passers in yardage this year, throwing for 4770 yards?

Jason in LA
01-04-2010, 09:06 AM
I heard Mike Shanahan is available, and hey, he's already on the payroll. I'm just saying. ;D

PRBronco
01-04-2010, 09:06 AM
No. I like Kubiak, but I don't like the product he's put on the field in Houston, too soft.

TheDave
01-04-2010, 09:07 AM
no... we no longer have a QB who could run our old scheme.

broncofan7
01-04-2010, 09:14 AM
I would --in a heartbeat--but as has already been stated--he took care of Business yesterday and gets to keep his job......the texans were literally two goaline plays(AZ, Jax in houston) from being 11-5.

jmz313
01-04-2010, 09:21 AM
Yes!

SonOfLe-loLang
I really don't get the hard on for Kubiak

bowtown
I would --in a heartbeat--but as has already been stated--he took care of Business yesterday and gets to keep his job......the texans were literally two goaline plays(AZ, Jax in houston) from being 11-5.

and you are only 5,581 posts past being a worth while poster.

bowtown
01-04-2010, 09:22 AM
I really don't get the hard on for Kubiak

He's a great OC.

broncofan7
01-04-2010, 09:27 AM
and you are only 5,581 posts past being a worth while poster.

this is football related how?

Inkana7
01-04-2010, 09:31 AM
Why would I want a fired coach?

Popps
01-04-2010, 09:41 AM

Taco, you're a Kubiak fan, now? I seem to recall you having a real problem with his play-calling.

In fact, he was absolutely trashed on this board by the majority of the people here. It was funny to watch him turn into some sort of folk hero after he left.
People blamed the guy for everything when he was here.

Aside from that... he's going on 4 years of coaching with about a .500 record.

I'm not sure what the big attraction would be.

The 90s are over, folks. Time to move on.

loborugger
01-04-2010, 09:41 AM
Why would I want a fired coach?

Ya, no doubt. A fired coach who has how many play off appearances? How many times has he beaten his arch division rivals Indy or Tenn? Oh, and as stated before, we no longer have a QB to run the Shanny/Kubes offense.

Natedog24
01-04-2010, 09:46 AM
His offense looks way way way better then the one Denver had this year but I don't think he would be a good fit as its too different a system from the one that McD runs. Charlie Weis would be a better fit because he runs a similiar system...

Broncoman13
01-04-2010, 10:17 AM
No to Kubes. Doesn't make much sense either, he is basically Shanahan-lite. PB wanted to get away from that, remember?

Sure would be nice having an offense that put their players in position to win though.

ColoradoDarin
01-04-2010, 10:20 AM
Just when I thought it couldn't get dumber....

Taco John
01-04-2010, 10:23 AM
Taco, you're a Kubiak fan, now? I seem to recall you having a real problem with his play-calling.

Yeah, I thought he was a little pass happy when he first started calling plays. That sort of settled down, and I changed my tune on him after watching his work with Plummer.

Drek
01-04-2010, 10:39 AM

Kubes was a pretty decent OC but he's been mediocre at best as a HC. Other than some irrational man crush on all things Shanahan related why would we fire a coach who took a supposedly less talented team than what Shanahan had in '08 to an equal record, against a tougher schedule, only to replace him with a (very) poor man's Shanahan.

TexanBob
01-04-2010, 10:43 AM
It's moot for two reasons. Kubes isn't leaving and Josh isn't leaving.

But I think Josh simply isn't ready yet to be a head coach. He's like Shanny was in Oakland or Belichick was in Cleveland (actually, worse since those two were in their 40s when they got their first head coaching gig). Had Kubes taken the first head coaching job that came along after the SB years (98-99), he would be like Josh is now - over his head.

Luck and mystique carried Josh for six weeks but the last 10 showed you who he was like when the luck runs out and the Patriot mystique vanishes. The losses to Oakland and KC were the present. He needs to mature.

As for Kubiak and softness, that's one area I find most irritating. The Texans don't fight back when they are punched in the mouth. Even when somebody like Favre cheap-shots them in pre-season, the Texans don't send a hit squad out to retaliate. I don't think they'll ever be champions until they develop a mean streak.

bombay
01-04-2010, 10:44 AM
Man. I'd jump at the chance to hire a really mediocre head coach.

Drek
01-04-2010, 10:52 AM
It's moot for two reasons. Kubes isn't leaving and Josh isn't leaving.

But I think Josh simply isn't ready yet to be a head coach. He's like Shanny was in Oakland or Belichick was in Cleveland (actually, worse since those two were in their 40s when they got their first head coaching gig). Had Kubes taken the first head coaching job that came along after the SB years (98-99), he would be like Josh is now - over his head.

Luck and mystique carried Josh for six weeks but the last 10 showed you who he was like when the luck runs out and the Patriot mystique vanishes. The losses to Oakland and KC were the present. He needs to mature.

As for Kubiak and softness, that's one area I find most irritating. The Texans don't fight back when they are punched in the mouth. Even when somebody like Favre cheap-shots them in pre-season, the Texans don't send a hit squad out to retaliate. I don't think they'll ever be champions until they develop a mean streak.
McDaniels as HC executed a massive defensive turnaround with the key additions being Dawkins, Andra Davis, Ron Fields, Vonnie Holliday, and Andre Goodman.

In other words, a good safety his old team thought was past his prime, a solid CB who has been a journeyman in the league, and a bunch of guys no one else wanted.

Offensively changed schemes and QBs, lost his starting RT for much of the season, had the #1 WR basically quit at the tail end of the year, and two interior OL spots where age related decline is clearly in effect.

He still produced the same record, against a harder schedule, than former SB winner Mike Shanahan did in '08.

Most "experts" and a ton of haters on this board thought we'd be fighting for the worst record in the league this year. Instead we where a .500 team again.

The problem with the '09 Denver Broncos on the field is the same problem as the '08 Denver Broncos, the '07 Denver Broncos, and basically every Broncos team over nearly the entire decade. They suck on the lines. McDaniels and Nolan out game planned teams for the first six weeks but when they ran into a couple elite defenses with big powerful OLs (Baltimore and Pittsburgh) they got exposed. Then everyone got to see how easy it was to handle us. Dominate the interior OL, attack the middle of the DL. Its simple, but effective.

The real measure of McDaniels as a coach is how he 1. deals with all the headcases and me first attitudes Shanahan left behind and 2. how he addresses the massive needs on the front lines.

Florida_Bronco
01-04-2010, 11:46 AM
I agree with Drek. Everything points to McD being a far superior coach than Kubiak so why would we want to replace him?

On top of that, Kubes would almost certainly dump the 3-4 that Nolan has installed here and revert us back to the West Coast Offense, which would both be downgrades in my opinion.

broncocalijohn
01-04-2010, 11:47 AM

u would still be considered stupid. Or is it moron you use for Tsiguy?

DrFate
01-04-2010, 11:50 AM
Everything points to McD being a far superior coach than Kubiak so why would we want to replace him?

He used his magic Patriot's wand and turned an 8-8 team into...

TADA

an 8-8 team.

Far superior?

LOL

Taco John
01-04-2010, 12:00 PM
I know that Kubiak is staying. That's why the thread says "Hypothetical."

Just thought it was an interesting topic.

ColoradoDarin
01-04-2010, 12:03 PM
He used his magic Patriot's wand and turned an 8-8 team into...

TADA

an 8-8 team.

Far superior?

LOL

How long has Kubes had to build the Texans? He's done a decent job, but he's not a 1st year coach either.

Garcia Bronco
01-04-2010, 12:22 PM

No I wouldn't.

Garcia Bronco
01-04-2010, 12:24 PM
McDaniels as HC executed a massive defensive turnaround with the key additions being Dawkins, Andra Davis, Ron Fields, Vonnie Holliday, and Andre Goodman.

In other words, a good safety his old team thought was past his prime, a solid CB who has been a journeyman in the league, and a bunch of guys no one else wanted.

Offensively changed schemes and QBs, lost his starting RT for much of the season, had the #1 WR basically quit at the tail end of the year, and two interior OL spots where age related decline is clearly in effect.

He still produced the same record, against a harder schedule, than former SB winner Mike Shanahan did in '08.

Most "experts" and a ton of haters on this board thought we'd be fighting for the worst record in the league this year. Instead we where a .500 team again.

The problem with the '09 Denver Broncos on the field is the same problem as the '08 Denver Broncos, the '07 Denver Broncos, and basically every Broncos team over nearly the entire decade. They suck on the lines. McDaniels and Nolan out game planned teams for the first six weeks but when they ran into a couple elite defenses with big powerful OLs (Baltimore and Pittsburgh) they got exposed. Then everyone got to see how easy it was to handle us. Dominate the interior OL, attack the middle of the DL. Its simple, but effective.

The real measure of McDaniels as a coach is how he 1. deals with all the headcases and me first attitudes Shanahan left behind and 2. how he addresses the massive needs on the front lines.

This!!!

Pony Boy
01-04-2010, 12:31 PM
I say yes if he brings Mario Williams and Andre Johnson with him.

~Crash~
01-04-2010, 12:36 PM
no I would not they (the NFL)made this system obsolete and or damn near impossible after the 2000 season . with the rule changes

DBroncos4life
01-04-2010, 01:58 PM
Bill Cowher isn't going to be coaching this year so he will be available if McD doesn't improve next year. Hopefully if McD doesn't improve next year he leaves us with some talent for the next coach to work with.

HAT
12-14-2010, 09:20 AM
Damn Taco....I didn't realize you've been on this kick since January.