PDA

View Full Version : The Charlie Weis for OC thread.

24champ
01-03-2010, 08:46 PM
This should be discussed, and I firmly believe the Broncos make a run at Weiss to be the Offensive Coordinator or Assistant Head Coach of the offense. McDaniels loves the guy. I don't need to rattle off this guys credentials, he installed the current Broncos offense for the Patriots and won 3 SB's with them.

It would be a great hire, since I think McDaniels could use someone like Weiss who can help coach and be another set of eyes to bring in players that fit our scheme.

I am not saying McCoy should get canned, more like given another position on the offense. Just that Weiss would be an upgrade.

Taco John
01-03-2010, 08:48 PM
I don't think McDaniels is going to hire anybody who would steal any of his lime light. I could be wrong. Maybe I'm being unfair. But I don't think the guy wants to be over shadowed by anyone.

SoCalBronco
01-03-2010, 08:48 PM
I'd rather have Mike Leach. Weis doesn't change anything. It's the same offense. Leach's passing game is alot simpler, more successful, easier to teach and easier to execute.

Bob's your Information Minister
01-03-2010, 08:50 PM
Hands off. We're doubling up on morbidly obese coaches from the Belichick tree this offseason. Weis and Crennel will be Chiefs. The deal is done.

RhymesayersDU
I'd rather have Mike Leach. Weis doesn't change anything. It's the same offense. Leach's passing game is alot simpler, more successful, easier to teach and easier to execute.

On the college level.

I'm not saying the transition couldn't be made. But Weis has proven success at the NFL level.

Bronco LB52

I second that.

Bronco LB52
01-03-2010, 08:51 PM
My opinion of Weis

http://www.blogcdn.com/ncaafootball.fanhouse.com/media/2008/09/pumpkin-barf.jpg

Broncoman13
01-03-2010, 08:51 PM

Plus Mike Leach would've "Handled" BMarsh's hammy in closet...err house.

SoCalBronco
01-03-2010, 08:52 PM
The deal is done.

Bob isn't that what you said when you were claiming 14 different times that you were going to get laid that one night and then you came back in a few hours with blue balls?

Just sayin.

Broncoman13
01-03-2010, 08:52 PM
Hands off. We're doubling up on morbidly obese coaches from the Belichick tree this offseason. Weis and Crennel will be Chiefs. The deal is done.

Nice, we can count on that not happening.

go_broncos
01-03-2010, 08:53 PM
I don't want another bellicheck assistants..

Broncoman13
Bob isn't that what you said when you were claiming 14 different times that you were going to get laid that one night and then you came back in a few hours with blue balls?

I'm pretty sure you're wrong on this one bro, BOB HAS NO BALLS

24champ
I'd rather have Mike Leach.

Not sure if your joking or serious....but what experience does Leach have in the Erdhart-Perkins system?

24champ
01-03-2010, 08:58 PM
I don't think McDaniels is going to hire anybody who would steal any of his lime light. I could be wrong. Maybe I'm being unfair. But I don't think the guy wants to be over shadowed by anyone.

That would be a shame if that's how McDaniels feels.

However, when Weis got canned...McDaniels spoke very highly of Weiss. I could be wrong, but I recall that McDaniels dodged a question (wouldn't confirm nor deny) of whether he had called Weiss after he was canned by ND. That was odd.

SoCalBronco
01-03-2010, 09:01 PM
Not sure if your joking or serious....but what experience does Leach have in the Erdhart-Perkins system?

That's the point, 24. He runs a BETTER passing game. I'd rather run his passing game, instead. It is easier to learn, easier to teach and more difficult to defend. If McD wants his own run game with maulers and stuff and his playaction stuff, that's fine. But if we're going to have a successful dropback passing game, without as much talent (i.e. minus Marshall, Scheff etc), then Leach is absolutely the one to consult on that. Whether that means he's the OC or the staff simply goes to consult with him for a week in the offseason, either way is fine. I've studied the Mumme/Leach/Franklin offense for a few years now in terms of clinic lectures and cut-ups and playbooks and stuff. He has a nice passing game that is built upon simple yet versatile concepts and produces every year. He also has very efficient practices that emphasize endless repetitions. I mentioned this before yesterday about the way he does things in practice that are advanced. There is alot that this staff can learn from him to spruce up our offense.

SureShot
01-03-2010, 09:04 PM
That's the point, 24. He runs a BETTER passing game. I'd rather run his passing game, instead. It is easier to learn, easier to teach and more difficult to defend. If McD wants his own run game with maulers and stuff and his playaction stuff, that's fine. But if we're going to have a successful dropback passing game, without as much talent (i.e. minus Marshall, Scheff etc), then Leach is absolutely the one to consult on that. Whether that means he's the OC or the staff simply goes to consult with him for a week in the offseason, either way is fine. I've studied the Mumme/Leach/Franklin offense for a few years now in terms of clinic lectures and cut-ups and playbooks and stuff. He has a nice passing game that is built upon simple yet versatile concepts and produces every year. He also has very efficient practices that emphasize endless repetitions. I mentioned this before yesterday about the way he does things in practice that are advanced. There is alot that this staff can learn from him to spruce up our offense.

It has to be easier the way they plugged kids in at TT. It seemed like they ran 5 or 6 plays.

Dagmar
http://i40.tinypic.com/2bdtgy.jpg

Bronco LB52

He's a modern day Coryell. For all the complaints about the dink and dunking with McDaniels, Leach loves to stretch the field and he forces the defense to account for all sectors of the gridiron. As simple as Leach's offense is, it's very confusing for a defense to defend.

DBroncos4life
01-03-2010, 09:06 PM

I think Weis is better suited to coach in the NFL. I don't care what people think about Callahan but I think he is a good NFL OC that tried to put a complicated NFL system in college football kind of like Weis was doing at ND. I couldn't see them getting enough time with players to get the system to ever work out. In the NFL you get to work with players that are in pro systems for longer then three to four years. I think Weis would help on the little details to improve the team kind of like what Callahan is helping with the Jets. In two seasons as the Assistant Head Coach/Offensive Line, BC has taken the Jets from 19th in rushing, to 9th then to 1st. I think we could get that kind of boost with Wies.

Killericon
01-03-2010, 09:08 PM
I think Weis would want to run an offence if he were to take an OC position in the NFL. STAY THE COURSE.

SoCalBronco
01-03-2010, 09:10 PM
It has to be easier the way they plugged kids in at TT. It seemed like they ran 5 or 6 plays.

They run a small number of base pass plays, but make it multiple with "tags" for most of the plays. To the opponent, it looks like 50 different things, when in reality, it is 17 different things with tags. They also rep the hell out of what they run. The drills they use ensure they can get EVERYONE a bunch of reps in just a short period of time.

DBroncos4life
01-03-2010, 09:16 PM
The only way I see Leach settling for anything less then a HC job somewhere is if he gets a chance to stick it to TT for a few years.

Bob's your Information Minister
01-03-2010, 09:17 PM
I'm pretty sure you're wrong on this one bro, BOB HAS NO BALLS

You're half right.

Ratboy
01-03-2010, 09:30 PM
I do not want that fat slob any where near this team.

TheReverend
01-03-2010, 10:15 PM
SOMEONE needs to help Josh. Maybe it was managing HC and OC duties that was culprit, but we had a 30% decline in offensive production. Unacceptable from an offensive genius.

ZONA
01-03-2010, 10:18 PM
Plus Mike Leach would've "Handled" BMarsh's hammy in closet...err house.

I think you mean Tom Cable, lol.

24champ
01-04-2010, 12:51 AM
SOMEONE needs to help Josh. Maybe it was managing HC and OC duties that was culprit, but we had a 30% decline in offensive production. Unacceptable from an offensive genius.

I think once the staff and players eval is said and done, McD will make the phone call to Weis. Then move McCoy to one of Turner's/Dennison's spot. One or both of them will bolt for Shanahan's staff.

Florida_Bronco
01-04-2010, 01:15 AM

All the more reason to bring in Weis. I don't think that Leach's offense would be that successful at the pro level, plus why would McDaniels want to differentiate from the offensive system that he set NFL records with? Also, unlike college, I don't think a simpler offense is that big of a worry. These guys don't have to contend with school to learn this.

Signing Weis would take some of the workload off McDaniels and give him a bit of a veteran sounding board on the offensive happenings.

I'd be all for it.

24champ
01-04-2010, 05:20 PM
All the more reason to bring in Weis. I don't think that Leach's offense would be that successful at the pro level, plus why would McDaniels want to differentiate from the offensive system that he set NFL records with? Also, unlike college, I don't think a simpler offense is that big of a worry. These guys don't have to contend with school to learn this.

Signing Weis would take some of the workload off McDaniels and give him a bit of a veteran sounding board on the offensive happenings.

I'd be all for it.

I agree with everything you said. I don't see McDaniels changing his offense. He didn't change it for the players we have on the team, he sure isn't going to change it for some coach like Leach. Just not going to happen. I'm sure Weis would give some great input on the type of players needed for this offensive system. If we dump Marshall for draft picks, he probably would want Tate or Dez Bryant to replace a talent like Marshall.

ColoradoDarin
01-04-2010, 05:46 PM

Yeah there is no way McDaniels would bring in a high profile coordinator.

Like Mike Nolan. DOH.

loborugger
01-04-2010, 05:51 PM

Name me a head coach - at any level - who wants to hire someone that will steal the limelight? Or a CEO... or a politician...

Having said that, do you think Chuck would steal the limelight. He might block it out (requisite fat joke), but how can a guy that was run outta a college program steal the limelight from an NFL HC?