PDA

View Full Version : I Laugh At All Of You Who Hate The Colts For Resting Players

RhymesayersDU
01-03-2010, 08:46 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/nfl/news/story?id=4792582

It only takes one fluke play to end a season. It only took one fluke play to end TD's career here in Denver. If a team has earned the right to rest their players, they should be able to do so at their discretion. And don't give me the "Manning never gets hurt" line either; it only takes one Bernard Pollard to land on a knee and ruin a post season or even an entire year.

Updated: January 3, 2010, 10:25 PM ET
Source: Welker tears ACL, MCL
Comment Email Print Share
ESPN.com news services

HOUSTON -- Initial tests show that New England Patriots receiver Wes Welker tore both his anterior cruciate ligament and medial collateral ligament in his left knee in Sunday's loss to the Houston Texans, but he is scheduled to undergo more testing Monday, a source close to the situation told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

The injury will presumably end Welker's season.

Welker left the game in the first quarter after getting hurt on a reception and did not return. He tried to plant his left foot after making a catch and that's when the injury occurred.

Welker was helped to the sideline by members of the Patriots' medical staff. He buried his head in a towel while sitting on the bench and was later carted to the locker room.

Patriots coach Bill Belichick did not have an update on Welker's status after his team's 34-27 loss.

Cornerback Shawn Springs said the likely loss of Welker hurts.

"It's no secret around the whole NFL how important Wes is to us," Springs said. "My prayers are with him, because I know Wes is one of those guys who wants to be out there all the time. We are going to miss him."

Welker caught a pass from Tom Brady on New England's first possession and his knee appeared to buckle as he turned upfield. When Welker went down, a nearby player immediately called for medical help. Brady and receiver Randy Moss kneeled over Welker, and Belichick also walked out from the sideline to check on Welker.

"You're heartbroken for Wes because he's so important to our team, he's probably the heart and soul of our team," Springs said.

The Patriots locker room was somber after the loss in Houston and Brady, who has been as accessible as ever this season, was presumably so frustrated at the turn of events that he declined to answer questions from reporters. A chair was placed in his empty locker and he was long gone by the time reporters entered the room after a lengthy delay.

Welker finished the season with a franchise record 123 catches (despite missing two games), 1,348 yards and four touchdowns.

"We've been going through that all year -- people up, people down," linebacker Adalius Thomas said of the playoff-bound Patriots. "Will we miss [Welker]? Yes we will. But the guys behind him have to step up and make plays."

Rookie receiver Julian Edelman, who projects to take on the bulk of Welker's responsibilities in the playoffs, played well Sunday after Welker was hurt. He set career highs with 10 catches and 103 yards receiving.

"I'm going to have to do a lot of studying and prepare like I have prepared all year," Edelman said. "All I can do is work hard and take the coaching that we have had and go with it."

Edelman, a seventh-round draft choice out of Kent State, has been one of the Patriots' surprise performers this season. He previously filled in for Welker in the second and third weeks of the season, and plays with a similar style.

In 10 games prior to Sunday, he had totaled 27 receptions for 256 yards. Edelman's numbers spiked against the Texans, and the Patriots will need more of the same in the playoffs.

"He's not a rookie any more," Springs said. "He needs to be ready to step up."

Information from ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter, ESPNBoston.com's Mike Reiss and The Associated Press was used in this report.

SonOfLe-loLang
01-03-2010, 08:48 PM
When you have history, you go for it.

People really should take statistics classes. This country/world would be a saner place.

RhymesayersDU
01-03-2010, 08:51 PM
When you have history, you go for it.

People really should take statistics classes. This country/world would be a saner place.

Believe me, I really want to see a team go 19-0. I rooted so hard for New England in that SuperBowl because I want to see history in my lifetime. But IMO I believe it's up to the team. They earned the right to choose.

SonOfLe-loLang
01-03-2010, 08:54 PM
Believe me, I really want to see a team go 19-0. I rooted so hard for New England in that SuperBowl because I want to see history in my lifetime. But IMO I believe it's up to the team. They earned the right to choose.

And we have the right to think they are wrong.

Northman
01-03-2010, 08:56 PM
So the fact that Welker wasnt even hit is reason enough to not play? Lmao um ok.

ColoradoDarin
01-03-2010, 08:57 PM
Welker could have torn his knee up on the 3rd play of the playoffs too. Unfortunately injuries are part of the game and they can happen on just about any play. Weird way for Welker to blow out his knee though. He just slipped.

Broncoman13
01-03-2010, 09:00 PM
I guess it beats pulling up lame with a hamstring pull, not showing up for treatment and finding yourself not invited to your team's game that weekend...

yavoon
01-03-2010, 09:19 PM
omg someone somewhere in the league got injured!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DBroncos4life
01-03-2010, 09:20 PM
omg someone somewhere in the league got injured!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I take it you had money on the Colts....

No1BroncoFan
01-03-2010, 09:25 PM
I don't hate the Colts for resting their players. in fact, the only Colt I hate is Melon-head. We have seen teams (including the Colts) rest players and come out flat and rusty and get whupped on their way to one-and-done. That's why I don't like seeing teams rest their starters.

Ben

yavoon
01-03-2010, 09:26 PM
I take it you had money on the Colts....

don't gamble. I will be highly amused if the colts fail to get to the super bowl though. it's funny that the inevitable "omg someone was injured I am scared hold me mommy lets rest everyone" thread came from the team that actually made the 16-0 run.

Dudeskey
01-03-2010, 09:29 PM
All I have to say on this topic is the media & others critical of Indy's actions no longer have any right to flame coaches for playing starters & getting them injured when they're in a similar situation as the Colts.

yavoon
01-03-2010, 09:37 PM
btw it should be noted that some things the colts are willing to risk injury for. getting a 16-0 season and becoming the greatest team of all time is obviously not one of them. but they'll risk it to get a few of their players to 100 catches.

priorities baby.

kappys
01-03-2010, 11:22 PM
Teams just seem so rusty when they rest their players, then have a week off, then come back in the playoffs. Risky move to fully rest them too in some ways

~Crash~
01-03-2010, 11:26 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/nfl/news/story?id=4792582

It only takes one fluke play to end a season. It only took one fluke play to end TD's career here in Denver. If a team has earned the right to rest their players, they should be able to do so at their discretion. And don't give me the "Manning never gets hurt" line either; it only takes one Bernard Pollard to land on a knee and ruin a post season or even an entire year.

LMAO see Jacksonville vs Denver 1996 putz. the sad part is I would almost grantee that SD will blast Indy now.

spdirty
01-03-2010, 11:31 PM
This Colts team makes me appreciate our 1998 team even more. Even after we lost, and had everything sewn up, Shanny played all the starters on week 17.

Oh, btw, only 1 team has ever made it to the Super Bowl after finishing the regular season on a 2 game losing streak.

spdirty
01-03-2010, 11:32 PM
LMAO see Jacksonville vs Denver 1996 putz. the sad part is I would almost grantee that SD will blast Indy now.

If Indy even makes it to that game.