PDA

View Full Version : All This for Benching a Second String Tight End?

rugbythug
01-02-2010, 05:45 PM
Its not Like Scheffler has ever really lived up to his hype. At least he was not down for half the season.

Archer81
01-02-2010, 05:56 PM
Apparently you dont know that Sheffler is only 2nd string because Shanahan drafted him. He is an all world talent, being held back by an angry dwarf of a headcoach...

:Broncos:

rugbythug
01-02-2010, 06:01 PM
Apparently you dont know that Sheffler is only 2nd string because Shanahan drafted him. He is an all world talent, being held back by an angry dwarf of a headcoach...

Ah I see. although he was 2nd string last year also.

Archer81
01-02-2010, 06:01 PM
Ah I see. although he was 2nd string last year also.

SHHH! Facts have no place here!

Hogan11
01-02-2010, 06:04 PM
People cried over Putzier leaving the first time around too...Scheffler is about on par with him and won't be missed after he's gone.

frerottenextelway
01-02-2010, 06:04 PM
All This for Benching a Second String Tight End?

I think it's a number of things, including potentially a historic collapse, a falling out with a number of offensive stars, and a horrible scoring offense that was one of the things that he emphasized he'd turn around coming in.

tsiguy96
01-02-2010, 06:37 PM
I think it's a number of things, including potentially a historic collapse, a falling out with a number of offensive stars, and a horrible scoring offense that was one of the things that he emphasized he'd turn around coming in.

a "number" of offensive stars? we dont have any offensive stars besides marshall, and he took himself out of the game tomorrow, mcdaniels didnt bench him.

the fact that mcdaniels did so well to start hte season speaks to his coaching ability, hes not exactly got the greatest talent on either side of the ball, its just vastly overrated (like always) by the OM superstar talent evaluators.

frerottenextelway
01-02-2010, 06:48 PM
a "number" of offensive stars? we dont have any offensive stars besides marshall, and he took himself out of the game tomorrow, mcdaniels didnt bench him.

the fact that mcdaniels did so well to start hte season speaks to his coaching ability, hes not exactly got the greatest talent on either side of the ball, its just vastly overrated (like always) by the OM superstar talent evaluators.

I remember him doing an interview when he was hired (and was posted here) with him showing our poor scoring stats after game 3 (or whatever it was) last year and said that was one of the key things he would emphasize and would be able to turn it around this year.

And really, it was possible for him to do this. We moved the ball at will between the 20's last year for the most part and failed in the redzone for a number of reasons (QB, injuries at RB, playcalling, etc) that were correctable.

It seems on one of his main goals, he not only didn't take a step forward, but took a step backward.

That said, I'm not saying to dump him (almost every 1st year coach deserves a full offseason). We're in way to deep to dump him right now anyways. But his feet should be held to the fire tomorrow and next year to do what he said he was going to do.

tsiguy96
01-02-2010, 06:51 PM
I remember him doing an interview when he was hired (and was posted here) with him showing our poor scoring stats after game 3 (or whatever it was) last year and said that was one of the key things he would emphasize and would be able to turn it around this year.

And really, it was possible for him to do this. We moved the ball at will between the 20's last year for the most part and failed in the redzone for a number of reasons (QB, injuries at RB, playcalling, etc) that were correctable.

It seems on one of his main goals, he not only didn't take a step forward, but took a step backward.

That said, I'm not saying to dump him (almost every 1st year coach deserves a full offseason). We're in way to deep to dump him right now anyways. But his feet should be held to the fire tomorrow and next year to do what he said he was going to do.

i never said the offense got better, it clearly didnt, and theres a number of reasons for that, gameplanning was poor sometimes, players not executing, line, orton, running backs, it was everything. with another year he can get some players in to help fix it and they will be more comfortable with the system too. its not a "omg all hope is lost" like the rams who scored over 13 pts like once all year.

barryr
01-02-2010, 07:01 PM
Scheffler has not shown he'll ever be worth the 2nd round pick the Broncos used on him. He has some skills, but didn't show any more consistency with Shanahan as the coach either. Plus, it was Shanahan who gave Graham the big money to play TE ahead of Scheffler, so like Hillis, who only got playing time affter 5 RB's got hurt, he apparently didn't impress Shanahan a lot either.

Archer81
01-02-2010, 07:38 PM
Huh? Sheffler was a 4th round pick, he has way outplayed the original perception of him coming out of college.

It's okay to admit that McDaniels has mishandled the offense in a multitude of ways, it doesn't make you less of a fan.

Sheffler went in the 2nd round, not the 4th.

colonelbeef
01-02-2010, 07:40 PM
Sheffler went in the 2nd round, not the 4th.

Always flip flop the Marshall and Sheffler picks in my mind for some reason, my mistake.

Still, Sheffler has been mismanaged, he has already demonstrated his playmaking ability.

Archer81
01-02-2010, 07:45 PM
Always flip flop the Marshall and Sheffler picks in my mind for some reason, my mistake.

Still, Sheffler has been mismanaged, he has already demonstrated his playmaking ability.

I dont know about mismanaged. Tony's stats are similar to those under Shanahan, and his blocking has not improved to the point he would be considered a starter over Graham.

TheReverend
01-02-2010, 08:56 PM
http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=87770

???

KipCorrington25
01-02-2010, 09:03 PM
Sheffler is the quinessential +/- player, for every big play he makes he gives it right back with a drop, fumble, missed block, or penalty... all that and the big me first ego he needs to go.

TheChamp24
01-02-2010, 09:14 PM
Scheffler is vastly overrated by Bronco fans. He's nowhere near the star Pro Bowl TE some of us make him out to be. Yes, he can catch the ball and has decent speed for a TE, but so did Putzier. Fact is, he is probably on the just above average scale and I'd rank him similarily to Marcus Pollard rather than put him on the Jason Witten scale some do.

watermock
01-02-2010, 09:19 PM
He as dafted right around where Quinn was.

61st.

He's had several big plays in the seam against cover 2.

But let's go with Graham, slower with a bad knee.

watermock
01-02-2010, 09:22 PM
I don't recall anyone here comparing him to Whitten or Clark.

Vernon Davis maybe....Ha!

strafen
01-02-2010, 09:27 PM
He as dafted right around where Quinn was.

61st.

He's had several big plays in the seam against cover 2.

But let's go with Graham, slower with a bad knee.Yup, these idiots are happy we're losing offensive players left and right, but are yet to mention why they're happy about, or who is going to replace them with.
They have their heads up McDaniels ass it's unreal!
I guess they think Graham and Quinn are an upgrade ROFL!

We'll see tomorrow.
No scheffler, no Marshall, no Royal, no Hillis...
Oh boy!!!
McDaniels better be right, better be right...

tsiguy96
01-02-2010, 09:30 PM
Yup, these idiots are happy we're losing offensive players left and right, but are yet to mention why they're happy about, or who is going to replace them with.
They have their heads up McDaniels ass it's unreal!
I guess they think Graham and Quinn are an upgrade ROFL!

We'll see tomorrow.
No scheffler, no Marshall, no Royal, no Hillis...
Oh boy!!!
McDaniels better be right, better be right...

how much nfl coaching experience do you have to tell him hes wrong in what hes doing?

strafen
01-02-2010, 09:42 PM
how much nfl coaching experience do you have to tell him hes wrong in what hes doing?He's only coached 15 games. That's not much experience over me, is it?
He's a 33 year old egomaniac destroying a team that had a lot of potential making it now no better than an expansion team

Because, I don't have my nose up his nuts sack I'm able to see that what he's doing is going to blow up in his face.

Do you give us a chance against the lowly KC tomorrow?
How confident are you that without, Royal, Hillis, Scheffler, Marshall we stand a chance to win the game?

How confident are you that if we make the play-offs that this team will not be in turmoil heading into the play-offs?
Who do you blame?
Who is in charge here?
Who seems to have lost the handle on this team?

Broncolorado
01-02-2010, 09:52 PM
I think we all know now who is in charge here and judging from the silence coming from the front office and ownership it's obvious management/ownership are on the same page.
I believe coach not only has a handle on this team but is putting his and Bowlens name on it.Period

tsiguy96
01-02-2010, 09:56 PM
He's only coached 15 games. That's not much experience over me, is it?
He's a 33 year old egomaniac destroying a team that had a lot of potential making it now no better than an expansion team

Because, I don't have my nose up his nuts sack I'm able to see that what he's doing is going to blow up in his face.

Do you give us a chance against the lowly KC tomorrow?
How confident are you that without, Royal, Hillis, Scheffler, Marshall we stand a chance to win the game?

How confident are you that if we make the play-offs that this team will not be in turmoil heading into the play-offs?
Who do you blame?
Who is in charge here?
Who seems to have lost the handle on this team?

royal hillis and scheffler have barely contributed in our 8 wins already, them being out will destroy our chances of winning now?

how do you with your zero football coaching experience have almost as much knowledge about football as an NFL head coach, and didnt you predict failure all offseason, only to have this team go at worst .500?

Broncos4tw
01-02-2010, 09:59 PM
I could care less about the benching. I care an awful lot about how crappily the front office / McD is handling it. It's as if he is going out of his way to say "I'm a badass.. don't screw with me!" How immature. He should be handling these issues quietly and professionaly. It doesn't bode well for the players left, nor for trying to intice players to come play for a young dictator. Star player? You are benched if you don't fully meet his expectations, and he'll make sure the media knows about it.

He is like a miniature Parcells, without all the records and wins.

tsiguy96
01-02-2010, 10:01 PM
it 100% baffles me how people come on this message board and bitch and moan and cry to people who enjoy watching the team as if them crying is going to amke us turn against the team and start cursing mcd's name and calling for his head. how do you even do that and call yourself a fan, if you hate everything the team does and hate everyone who is calling the shots in a winning season, you can call yourself a fan of that very team?

tsiguy96
01-02-2010, 10:02 PM
I could care less about the benching. I care an awful lot about how crappily the front office / McD is handling it. It's as if he is going out of his way to say "I'm a badass.. don't screw with me!" How immature. He should be handling these issues quietly and professionaly. It doesn't bode well for the players left, nor for trying to intice players to come play for a young dictator. Star player? You are benched if you don't fully meet his expectations, and he'll make sure the media knows about it.

He is like a miniature Parcells, without all the records and wins.

he wasnt benched you retard, he told mcdaniels he wasnt going to play, mcdaniels thought he should play through it, thats why it went public.

strafen
01-02-2010, 10:04 PM
royal hillis and scheffler have barely contributed in our 8 wins already, them being out will destroy our chances of winning now?

how do you with your zero football coaching experience have almost as much knowledge about football as an NFL head coach, and didnt you predict failure all offseason, only to have this team go at worst .500?I don't think I predicted failure, unless you've mistaken me for somebody else.

Players make the team, player make the plays, and who is on the field to make those plays is a decision made by the head coach.

One of the reasons why this team has sicked offensively is the inability of our head coach to put the right personnel on the field.
How can you expect to succeed when you don't consistently have the best players on the field?
I.E; Hillis, Stokley, Royal, Scheffler?
And in the 2-7 stretch we've gone, neither one of those players saw significant playing action. Stokley has demonstrated that when he's in the game, he's money. Hillis when you make him part of your game plan he's money. Royal, when you make him a part of the game plan, he's money...

That's all I know, and what I've seen as a fan when I sit down to watch a game. I question Mcdaniels why he's not getting those guys more involved.
And you're defending him for dismantling this team. this offense?

Taco John
01-02-2010, 10:05 PM
Now imagine what happens if we lose Marshall...

strafen
01-02-2010, 10:08 PM
Now imagine what happens if we lose Marshall...

TJ, Marshall is good as gone. And so is Scheffler, and Hillis.
Next year, I don't expect Royal to see much more action than what he saw this year, he too will be gone.
Little by little, McxDaniels will have gotten rid of good players in his quest to make the Denver Broncos an expansion team, no less, no more...

tsiguy96
01-02-2010, 10:09 PM
I don't think I predicted failure, unless you've mistaken me for somebody else.

Players make the team, player make the plays, and who is on the field to make those plays is a decision made by the head coach.

One of the reasons why this team has sicked offensively is the inability of our head coach to put the right personnel on the field.
How can you expect to succeed when you don't consistently have the best players on the field?
I.E; Hillis, Stokley, Royal, Scheffler?
And in the 2-7 stretch we've gone, neither one of those players saw significant playing action. Stokley has demonstrated that when he's in the game, he's money. Hillis when you make him part of your game plan he's money. Royal, when you make him a part of the game plan, he's money...

That's all I know, and what I've seen as a fan when I sit down to watch a game. I question Mcdaniels why he's not getting those guys more involved.
And you're defending him for dismantling this team. this offense?

in your opinion he doesnt have the best players on the field, in his and others, he does, and his opinion is the only one that matters, not yours. he can get more people involved obviously, every team in the NFL can say that, but even as kupesdad said these guys are stil learning the system and it takes longer than a season for them to go all out and play without just losing. the defense has failed a few times this year as well its not 100% on the offense. but you will never see this and will start calling for mcd's head because you dont know better and demand immediate results from a rebuilding team.

tsiguy96
01-02-2010, 10:11 PM
TJ, Marshall is good as gone. And so is Scheffler, and Hillis.
Next year, I don't expect Royal to see much more action than what he saw this year, he too will be gone.
Little by little, McxDaniels will have gotten rid of good players in his quest to make the Denver Broncos an expansion team, no less, no more...

yes you ****ing moron, his quest is to get rid of good players. thats the quest, make this like an expansion team and lose games. are you honestly this ****ing stupid and pigheaded taht you cant even understand the job of an NFL coaching staff? there is a reason they are professionals (who currently are at a minimum of .500 in their first year) and you are crying about what you see on the couch. ever seen a practice, talked to these players in person, know what they are like and why they arent playing? or do you make these statements based purely on what you see on tv?

watermock
01-02-2010, 10:11 PM
how much nfl coaching experience do you have to tell him hes wrong in what hes doing?

I've watched football for 45 years. McD may pull his head out of his ass someday. All I'm saying is that I can see the difference between a coach in control and a coach clueless. 'lil Joshie can scream and bench players all he wants, he's just going to hang himself.

The fact we have a bean counter as GM doesn't help either.

Call me when we make the playoffs and beat Indy.

strafen
01-02-2010, 10:13 PM
he wasnt benched you retard, he told mcdaniels he wasnt going to play, mcdaniels thought he should play through it, thats why it went public.McDaniels made it public.
McDaniels questioned Marshall toughness in public, in front of the media by saying he had players with worse injuries playing Sunday...

watermock
01-02-2010, 10:15 PM
I see enough on my 42" to see plays, even tho I'm 20' feet away, it beats the hospice.

strafen
01-02-2010, 10:18 PM
yes you ****ing moron, his quest is to get rid of good players. thats the quest, make this like an expansion team and lose games. are you honestly this ****ing stupid and pigheaded taht you cant even understand the job of an NFL coaching staff? there is a reason they are professionals (who currently are at a minimum of .500 in their first year) and you are crying about what you see on the couch. ever seen a practice, talked to these players in person, know what they are like and why they arent playing? or do you make these statements based purely on what you see on tv?

Hey, I'm not the only one talking about. Watch the news. I guess they're wrong too.

Let me ask you you genius...
Explain to me how getting rid of Marshall, Scheffler, Hillis...not playing Stokley, Royal make us a better team?
I'm waiting patiently for your response...

Yes, what I've seen on TV has not betrayed me yet. I know a good player when I see one.

tsiguy96
01-02-2010, 10:20 PM
McDaniels made it public.
McDaniels questioned Marshall toughness in public, in front of the media by saying he had players with worse injuries playing Sunday...

obviously and tahts not the way to handle it. no one is saying hes perfect, but to say hes the worst coach ever and all this other dumb **** you guys are saying is ridiculous.

tsiguy96
01-02-2010, 10:22 PM
Hey, I'm not the only one talking about. Watch the news. I guess they're wrong too.

Let me ask you you genius...
Explain to me how getting rid of Marshall, Scheffler, Hillis...not playing Stokley, Royal make us a better team?
I'm waiting patiently for your response...

Yes, what I've seen on TV has not betrayed me yet. I know a good player when I see one.

i think marshall scheffler and hillis are still on the team? or is it more of your speculation that tehy wont be, based on pretty much nothing but what you THINK?

watermock
01-02-2010, 10:23 PM
Originally Posted by tsiguy96
he wasnt benched you retard, he told mcdaniels he wasnt going to play, mcdaniels thought he should play through it, thats why it went public.

So Marshall went to coach in confidence, and McDummy benched him in front of the media.

Wht if Marshall felt better on sunday, what does that do to his trade value?

I've quite honestly never seen such a petulant, arrogant coach. he's also vindictive.

tsiguy96
01-02-2010, 10:24 PM
So Marshall went to coach in confidence, and McDummy benched him in front of the media.

Wht if Marshall felt better on sunday, what does that do to his trade value?

I've quite honestly never seen such a petulant, arrogant coach. he's also vindictive.

mcdaniels relayed to the media that marshall was not playing, he did not DECIDE not to play him. try again.

either way, i made it pretty clear i dont agree that he should have done what he did in the media as its counterproductive to anything, but he did it and its understandable why, marshall doesnt want to play when he probably can, and the teamneeds him.

strafen
01-02-2010, 10:25 PM
i think marshall scheffler and hillis are still on the team? or is it more of your speculation that tehy wont be, based on pretty much nothing but what you THINK?They're as good as gone.
Do you really expect them to be here next year? :rofl:

BTW, I'm glad you finally found the UPPERCASE tab on your key board.
I've never thought I'd live long enough to see that :thumbsup:

watermock
01-02-2010, 10:33 PM
mcdaniels relayed to the media that marshall was not playing, he did not DECIDE not to play him. try again.

either way, i made it pretty clear i dont agree that he should have done what he did in the media as its counterproductive to anything, but he did it and its understandable why, marshall doesnt want to play when he probably can, and the teamneeds him.

how do you know? Remember Al Wilson, or BM last year?

BM has ever right to trust his own body at this point.

It's likely his last game as a Bronco.

strafen
01-02-2010, 10:41 PM

either way, i made it pretty clear i dont agree that he should have done what he did in the media as its counterproductive to anything, but he did it and its understandable why, marshall doesnt want to play when he probably can, and the teamneeds him.Did you see the news at all?
Marshall said he couldn't go. At the very minimum it would've been a game time decision.
Marshall said in the news that McDaniels called him Friday to tell him he was being deactivated for Sunday's game.
All of this because ego-manic Mcdaniels didn't buy Marshall's story that his injury was that bad.
McDaniels went by the results of the MRI, by determining that there was no tear or physical damage, he questioned Marshall's toughness.

Back when I was involve in martial arts, I've got a few pulled hamstrings injuries. It takes at least a couple of weeks to recover from a tweaked HS, and if you keep pushing it, you will cause some tear...

ZONA
01-02-2010, 11:23 PM

Cmon man, get real. Schef is a good pass catching TE but to call him an "all world talent" is beyond exaggeration.

strafen
01-02-2010, 11:32 PM
McDaniels got no balls.
He didn't even have the balls to tell Scheffler he wasn't playing Sunday
All but buried amid the Brandon Marshall drama is Broncos coach Josh McDan- iels' benching of tight end Tony Scheffler for the game Sunday against the Kansas City Chiefs for a non-injury-related reason.
"I'm a competitor and have worked extremely hard this offseason to be able to fight for a chance to make the playoffs," Scheffler said Friday. "Him taking that away doesn't sit very well with me or some of my teammates."
Scheffler has been frustrated by his reduced role this season he has 31 catches for 416 yards in 15 games, after catching 40 passes for 645 yards in 13 games last year.
He apparently expressed his frustration to a few teammates after the Broncos' 30-27 loss last Sunday to Philadelphia, and word got back to coach Josh McDaniels.

Scheffler was informed Wednesday by an assistant coach that he would not be dressing for the game Sunday against the Chiefs and would spend the week of practice on the scout squad.
"To be honest, I haven't even heard from Josh," Scheffler said.

Read more: http://www.denverpost.com/premium/broncos/ci_14108873?source=email#ixzz0bWo9SDPF (http://www.denverpost.com/premium/broncos/ci_14108873?source=email#ixzz0bWo9SDPF)
[/COLOR][/LEFT]

Cito Pelon
01-03-2010, 12:32 AM
McDaniels got no balls.
He didn't even have the balls to tell Scheffler he wasn't playing Sunday

Read more: http://www.denverpost.com/premium/broncos/ci_14108873?source=email#ixzz0bWo9SDPF (http://www.denverpost.com/premium/broncos/ci_14108873?source=email#ixzz0bWo9SDPF)
[/COLOR][/LEFT]

Is that support of Tony? Maybe he should STFU and play, yeah? Dude tries to undermine the coach, maybe he should STFU?

strafen
01-03-2010, 12:36 AM
Is that support of Tony? Maybe he should STFU and play, yeah? Dude tries to undermine the coach, maybe he should STFU?

Dude, the dude said what the dude said, dude.
It wouldn't have made any difference whther the dude say anything or not when the other dude, wasn't going to play the dude anyway, dude

In other words, whatever the dude said or not said wouldn't change anything on the other dude's decision to play the dude

watermock
01-03-2010, 12:48 AM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/G1bIqwnRVr8&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/G1bIqwnRVr8&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>.

TomServo
01-03-2010, 02:40 AM
so where is that TE MCD drafted anyway?

woodall
01-03-2010, 02:46 AM
it 100% baffles me how people come on this message board and b**** and moan and cry to people who enjoy watching the team as if them crying is going to amke us turn against the team and start cursing mcd's name and calling for his head. how do you even do that and call yourself a fan, if you hate everything the team does and hate everyone who is calling the shots in a winning season, you can call yourself a fan of that very team?

We don't hate the team, we hate the idiot head coach. Why do you support every ridiculous and moronic thing little Joshie does??? Why do you show such blind loyalty to McMoron? Josh McDaniels isn't the Denver Broncos.

Taco John
01-03-2010, 03:13 AM
Josh McDaniels isn't the Denver Broncos.

Like it or not, he is while he's the coach.

BroncoBuff
01-03-2010, 03:29 AM
People cried over Putzier leaving the first time around too...Scheffler is about on par with him and won't be missed after he's gone.

Seem to me Scheff is a full step above Putz ???

Dunno what the problem is, but we've all seen what Scheffe does when we throw to him ... it's not like we're throwing at him a lot and he's blowing his chances. He makes the most of his touches.

Gotta let McD coach the team, but just like Royal and Hillis, this Scheff thing is pretty weird.