PDA

View Full Version : Friday Transcripts: Marshall

BroncoSojia
01-01-2010, 03:55 PM
http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=334&storyID=9732

BRANDON MARSHALL - 1/1/10

On Head Coach Josh McDaniels' decision to deactivate him for Sunday's game against Kansas City
"I don't think (Head) Coach (Josh McDaniels) ever played in the NFL so for my hamstring to be feeling the way it felt, it's tough for me to go out there and expect to play at a high level. I've battled through a lot of injuries before. I played the whole year last year with a tear in my hip, so I don't think my toughness is in question here. I've just got to do my best just to get back to 100 percent. Hopefully, things fall into place where it should be, and hope we get into the playoffs, and I'll be there with my teammates."

On why McDaniels did not go into specifics when explaining his deactivation
"I don't understand why he didn't answer it. It's because of my hamstring. I got an MRI on it. The MRI came back that there was no structural damage in there. When you try to explode and take off, if you don't have it, you don't have it. It's bad because it's a crucial game for us, but we've got guys who can make plays. We've got guys who have been in this league for years who play this position who can get it done and carry our team."

On McDaniels' emphasis on accountability being a reason that he will be inactive on Sunday
"I don't know what coach said, but I doubt if he said I wasn't buying in because I'm the guy who has been giving up a lot for this team. I've been giving it my all. I'm excited about the opportunity that we have. There are a lot of things that can be in our favor this week to make it to the playoffs. If that happens, I'm going to do my best to be out there with my teammates, but it makes no sense for me to go out there. You can't run 50 percent. (It's) just bad timing."

On how the deactivation affects his relationship with McDaniels
"I don't know what Coach said. If he did say the things that you guys are saying, I don't know why he would say that, but I approached this year in a professional manner, and I'm going to continue to do that. If he decides to take some personal shots because of the way the season is unfolding, it's not my fault. I've made big plays when I'm supposed to. You go back to the Dallas game, the New England game-there are a bunch of games that I've been there and made some huge plays to help us move the ball. I've been unselfish when they've told me I'm not a starter and the reason for it was that I haven't separated myself from anybody. I went out there and I tried to separate myself, and I've done that. I'm going to keep it professional and continue to rehab and hopefully things fall in place for us to move forward into the playoffs."

On if he feels that he has had an issue with being accountable to the team
"Accountability and injury are different. Accountability and injury are different. I wouldn't say pulled my hamstring-it's definitely not that bad. It's tough."

On McDaniels' comment that other players will play with more severe injuries than he has on Sunday
"I was told last year, too, that I didn't have a tear in my hip and I had gotten several MRIs on my hip last year. This is just bad. It's bad for the fans, everyone, my teammates, myself (and) my family. Every game is a playoff game for me. I'm playing for a lot. Every game I go out there playing to give it my all because of trying to achieve my goals. For me not to be out there probably hurts me more than anybody else. I have a lot of things that I want to achieve, a lot of things that I want to do, and it's not just for this game. It's every game that I've played in this year."

On if he was going to try to play through the injury
"This is probably the biggest game for us all year. When you have a muscle injury, that thing doesn't heal over night. Like I said, I've got to do my best to try to be there for the playoffs if we get into the playoffs, but it has nothing to do with accountability."

On if he felt McDaniels was frustrated that he didn't practice yesterday
"No, he hasn't really said anything to me. He just came in today and told me I was deactivated (and that) he's make an announcement today. I have to respect that. I have to respect that. He's the head coach. He makes the decisions around here, and he has to do what's best for the team. It's tough when you don't get a chance to go through the week of preparation and practicing to be able to think you're going to go out there and participate (in the game). It's not fair to our team, it's not fair to our players, but it's just a freak accident. I ran a slant-I was cramping in the (Philadelphia) game Sunday, and my hamstrings were pretty tight from that. I had to get an IV. My muscles were pretty tight. I came out here on Wednesday and it just pulled or something, I'm not sure."

On the fans' perception of his relationship with the team
"There is no more drama. I'm going to be professional about everything moving forward. Like I said, it's an injury. I've played through injuries before, but like I said, last year I was told that I was fine. Unfortunately, it didn't work out that way. I had a tear in my hip. You've just got to listen to your body, and my body, obviously, something was wrong when I pulled up on Wednesday. I'm just going to continue to rehab and hopefully be there (for the playoffs) of things fall in place."

On his future with the Broncos
"Like I said, I'm going to be professional about the whole team. I love my teammates; my teammates love me. This has been a really smooth season for us as far as just communication and just growing as a person, as a professional athlete. I'm going to continue to do that. That's pretty much it."

On if he is emotionally hurt by the decision to deactivate him for Sunday's game against Kansas City
"I'm hurt for the fact that this is an opportunity for me to go out there and continue to prove myself (and) prove to others what I can do in this league. For me not to get the opportunity because of injury, it sucks, but I'm not the only one that's hurt in the National Football League. It's around that time of the year. I've just got to deal with it."

On how he hopes to proceed with his NFL career
"In a professional manner. Anything I do moving forward is going to be in a professional manner. I'm not going to get into any he-said, she-said (situations) like we've done in the past. I think that's childish. Like I said, I don't think there is any question about my toughness. The way I play the game, it could be first-and-10 and if I gain 15 yards, I'm fighting for 16 yards. I'm that type of guy who's going to give it up on every play in every game, especially for obvious reasons. I have a family. Every game is a big game to me."

GreatBronco16
01-01-2010, 04:01 PM
Wow, if that isn't an interview trying to stir some stuff up between a player and a coach, I don't know what is.

Dagmar
01-01-2010, 04:02 PM
Queue the McDaniels haters...

bpc
01-01-2010, 04:15 PM
It's nice to read the full interview.

One has to wonder what McDaniels full interview looked like.

Rulon Velvet Jones
01-01-2010, 04:17 PM
Probably like a bunch of words and sentences thrown together to form paragraphs.

Ambiguous
01-01-2010, 04:21 PM

It's on denverbroncos.com

skmoser
01-01-2010, 04:48 PM
i dont understand it... he says that he cant play but that he is hurt that he was inactivated... sounds like he wants it both ways

NYBronco
01-01-2010, 05:15 PM
Could be the Broncos are just taking a conservative approach to Marshall's pulled hamstring. They don't want another off season controversey like last years hip injury. The Broncos have listened to Marshall and are looking out for his best interest.

steeledude
01-01-2010, 05:33 PM
Could be the Broncos are just taking a conservative approach to Marshall's pulled hamstring. They don't want another off season controversey like last years hip injury. The Broncos have listened to Marshall and are looking out for his best interest.

You should watch McD's interview on the subject, it's on denverbroncos.com

It's pretty clear he's pissed at Marshall. He calls him out. It doesn't look good.

Ray Finkle
01-01-2010, 05:36 PM
Marshall probably pulled the same stuff he did when Shanahan called him a fuzzy puzzy....

I be the only two players that are made about this are Marshall and Scheffler....good riddance.

Mr.Meanie
01-01-2010, 05:39 PM

It's on the db.com front page...

Killericon
01-01-2010, 06:10 PM
Beat the Chiefs, start Marshall in the playoffs and NOONE will remember this.

Popps
01-01-2010, 06:17 PM
Beat the Chiefs, start Marshall in the playoffs and NOONE will remember this.

Yep.

Conversely, I'm just trying to scan the fuzzy memory banks and recall a time a key player injured himself in practice the week before what amounts to a playoff game.

I just never remember Rod Smith having issues like this... or Eddie Mac, etc.

Not saying it didn't happen, but it's the biggest game of the season, and our (theoretical) star receiver hurts himself so badly jogging in practice that he can't play?

Again, it just seems like if Rod Smith would have hurt his leg in practice... we all would have been absolutely shocked. With Marshall, for some reason... this just isn't that surprising.

The MVPlaya
01-01-2010, 06:23 PM
Popps - maybe none of that information was never revealed...you know how Shanny works.

TheDave
01-01-2010, 06:24 PM
I just wish our coach would learn to keep his mouth shut about this stuff...

If Brandon is going to be traded this offseason it would sure help his value if possible partners didn't know about this issue.

Popps
01-01-2010, 06:25 PM
Popps - maybe none of that information was never revealed...you know how Shanny works.

Good point, I just never recall Rod missing a huge game because of a jogging injury in practice.

The MVPlaya
01-01-2010, 06:25 PM
^^^ His contract expires this off season.

TheDave
01-01-2010, 06:26 PM
^^^ His contract expires this off season.

Not without a CBA it doesn't... Without the CBA he is a RFA.

The MVPlaya
01-01-2010, 06:26 PM
Good point, I just never recall Rod missing a huge game because of a jogging injury in practice.

True.

I'm kind of confused tho on what's the big deal. From what I'm reading - Marshall is saying he CAN'T play because of his injury.

So he was deactivated...

Am I missing something?

bombay
01-01-2010, 06:30 PM
I give Brandon a lot of credit for the way he handled that interview. The guy tried to bait him, and he really didn't allow it to happen. He's taking the high road here.

The MVPlaya
01-01-2010, 06:30 PM

The philosophy is on dealing what's in front of you. Right now, it's about the possibility of making the playoffs.

What is there to hide anyways?

skpac1001
01-01-2010, 06:31 PM
True.

I'm kind of confused tho on what's the big deal. From what I'm reading - Marshall is saying he CAN'T play because of his injury.

So he was deactivated...

Am I missing something?

My interpretation is that he WON'T play because of pain. He has said there is no structural damage (at least none that showed up on an MRI) but that he can't push off explosively, which I interpret as Marshall doesn't think he will be that effective so he decided to take himself out so he fully heals to be effective if we make a playoff game. McDaniels says players are currently playing through more painful injuries then Marshall, so I think its a commitment or want to issue rather then a injury one.

TheDave
01-01-2010, 06:34 PM
The philosophy is on dealing what's in front of you. Right now, it's about the possibility of making the playoffs.

What is there to hide anyways?

Deactivating your best player sure doesn't help make the playoffs.

According to McDaniels Brandon could play on this (he said others are playing on much worse)

Now, by no means am I taking BMarsh's side (I learned that lesson a long time ago)... I just wish our coach would learn to keep his mouth shut with stuff like this.

orinjkrush
01-01-2010, 06:37 PM
why don't they just go to therapy already?

skpac1001
01-01-2010, 06:38 PM

According to McDaniels Brandon could play on this (he said others are playing on much worse)

Now, by no means am I taking BMarsh's side (I learned that lesson a long time ago)... I just wish our coach would learn to keep his mouth shut with stuff like this.

I agree. I think Marshall is pretty clearly thinking of the offseason more then this season, and I don't have a problem with McDaniels sending a message to the team that quitting early or deciding when you will play isn't an option. I wish he would do it quietly and in-house though, so we don't end up being the ones punished with a worse trade then we could get, as well as more distracting drama.

The MVPlaya
01-01-2010, 06:40 PM

Marshall is saying that he won't/can't play. So McDaniels is deactivating him...

So in theory - isn't McDaniels giving Marshall what he wants?

Bronx33
01-01-2010, 06:42 PM
I agree. I think Marshall is pretty clearly thinking of the offseason more then this season, and don't have a problem with McDaniels sending a message to the team that quitting early or deciding when you will play isn't an option. I wish he would do it quietly and in-house though, so we don't end up being the ones punished with a worse trade then we could get, as well as more distracting drama.

People forget the coach is a rookie as well iam guilty of it when it comes to his play calling but iam not condemning the guy asking he be fired fact is people need to lighten the **** up on the guy.

TheDave
01-01-2010, 06:42 PM
Marshall is saying that he won't/can't play. So McDaniels is deactivating him...

So in theory - isn't McDaniels giving Marshall what he wants?

Exactly... So don't come out after the fact and tell everyone that other players are playing with much worse and go into his diatribe about "accountability"

Like I said... I wish our coach would keep his mouth shut.

prodigalson139
01-01-2010, 06:48 PM
I do not get some of the things both parties have said:

For instance:

Marshall
What about accountability?

"Well, accountability and injury is different, you know?" Marshall said. "I pulled, well, I wouldn't say I pulled my hamstring, it's definitely not that bad, but it's tough."

So his hamstring is not pulled, not that bad, but cannot go...

We may never no the FULL story, but although McDaniels should have been more discrete and not disclosed so much, BMarsh seems to be concealing a "look at me," "pay me," "look at MY accomlishments," or "I am not going to tough it out" attitude.

MRI negative and he states out of his own mouth that it is NOT a pulled hamstring.

Things do not add up.

The MVPlaya
01-01-2010, 06:48 PM
Exactly... So don't come out after the fact and tell everyone that other players are playing with much worse and go into his diatribe about "accountability"

Like I said... I wish our coach would keep his mouth shut.

Or - maybe this is in benefit because resigning him might have less $ value?

He's not Shanahan - he's not going to come out and cover up for players. THIS is what will lead to a divided locker room of not trusting the coach.

He might be just airing Marshall out because he wants him to be a better player and understand that his team is fighting while he's worried about something else.

I really doubt something like this will hinder his trade value since his production is pretty much elite - the value of airing Marshall out probably is higher than that of not.

TheDave
01-01-2010, 06:56 PM
Or - maybe this is in benefit because resigning him might have less $ value?

He's not Shanahan - he's not going to come out and cover up for players. THIS is what will lead to a divided locker room of not trusting the coach.

He might be just airing Marshall out because he wants him to be a better player and understand that his team is fighting while he's worried about something else.

I really doubt something like this will hinder his trade value since his production is pretty much elite - the value of airing Marshall out probably is higher than that of not.

Couldn't disagree more... Dealing with this problem behind closed doors has nothing to do with "Shanahan" or covering up for players. Unfortuantely, there is absolutely nothing to gain by taking this kid to task in the press, and worst of all it could diminish his trade value.

You deal with this stuff behind closed doors.

bronco610
01-01-2010, 07:00 PM
Couldn't disagree more... Dealing with this problem behind closed doors has nothing to do with "Shanahan" or covering up for players. Unfortuantely, there is absolutely nothing to gain by taking this kid to task in the press, and worst of all it could diminish his trade value.

You deal with this stuff behind closed doors.

This is what I have been saying all day, I dont care if it is the owner, the coach, or the players. You dont air it out in the media. Period. End of story. No excuses.

BabyTO
01-01-2010, 07:04 PM
McD is a hothead. He should keep his mouth shut and think before he says something. No need to stir **** up and talk **** about one of your players like "no no no its not injury related at all, he's fine, i just decided to deactivate him because he's a p***Y and he doesn't want to play".

If the guy cant play then obviously it is injury related. Whats your ****in problem. Yes you're pissed that your key player is going to miss the most important game of the season. Terrible timing. I dont think Marshall loves sitting out there not being able to help us make the playoffs. But grow the **** up man.

When did Belichick ever call out his own players like that if its injury related? McD has no experience and now he's learning it the hard way. If this guy had 10+ years as an NFL head coach he would have no said those things. Especially with Marshalls history where we told him he's alright and after the season he needed surgery.

tsiguy96
01-01-2010, 07:11 PM
I agree. I think Marshall is pretty clearly thinking of the offseason more then this season, and I don't have a problem with McDaniels sending a message to the team that quitting early or deciding when you will play isn't an option. I wish he would do it quietly and in-house though, so we don't end up being the ones punished with a worse trade then we could get, as well as more distracting drama.

agree 100%. marshall doesnt want to risk it, he CAN play, he just doesnt want to risk getting worse and ruining his contract. i understand it, but this season is not over, youre either with us or against us...

BabyTO
01-01-2010, 07:15 PM
agree 100%. marshall doesnt want to risk it, he CAN play, he just doesnt want to risk getting worse and ruining his contract. i understand it, but this season is not over, youre either with us or against us...
Now how exactly would he help us at 50% or 60%?

tsiguy96
01-01-2010, 07:18 PM
Now how exactly would he help us at 50% or 60%?

whos to say hes at 50 or 60%? at 80% he is still our best WR. but 80% is just a random number too, we dont know how abd it is, mcdaniels does and based on that thinks marshall should be able to contribute. marshall knows he isnt 100% and thus doesnt want to risk it it seems

Beantown Bronco
01-01-2010, 07:26 PM
McD is a hothead. He should keep his mouth shut and think before he says something. No need to stir **** up and talk **** about one of your players like "no no no its not injury related at all, he's fine, i just decided to deactivate him because he's a p***Y and he doesn't want to play".

If the guy cant play then obviously it is injury related. Whats your ****in problem. Yes you're pissed that your key player is going to miss the most important game of the season. Terrible timing. I dont think Marshall loves sitting out there not being able to help us make the playoffs. But grow the **** up man.

When did Belichick ever call out his own players like that if its injury related? McD has no experience and now he's learning it the hard way. If this guy had 10+ years as an NFL head coach he would have no said those things. Especially with Marshalls history where we told him he's alright and after the season he needed surgery.

Parcells did this kind of stuff all the time.

The thing that worries me about Marshall is that, for however long he remains a Bronco, I have this feeling that he's constantly going to play the "team doctors screwed up my first diagnosis, so I'm going to shut it down every time I get an ouchie from here on out because I don't trust them" card.

yavoon
01-01-2010, 07:39 PM
My interpretation is that he WON'T play because of pain. He has said there is no structural damage (at least none that showed up on an MRI) but that he can't push off explosively, which I interpret as Marshall doesn't think he will be that effective so he decided to take himself out so he fully heals to be effective if we make a playoff game. McDaniels says players are currently playing through more painful injuries then Marshall, so I think its a commitment or want to issue rather then a injury one.

or to be more valuable in his next contract

Broncos4tw
01-01-2010, 07:45 PM
Um.. how are any of you judging Marshall, who HAS done his part, all season? You have no idea if he is ok or not. Seems you have no problems putting a sub-par receiver on the field even if it risks his health.

How about this: If Orton didn't SUCK, it wouldn't MATTER if even our best receiver was out. He could make do with the others who are in. But no... he is subpar.. mediocre.. average, at best. He doesn't have the ability to consistently find other receivers. So it's Marshall or bust?

Please... if Orton is "the guy," it shouldn't matter that Marshall is not in there.

tsiguy96
01-01-2010, 07:46 PM
Um.. how are any of you judging Marshall, who HAS done his part, all season? You have no idea if he is ok or not. Seems you have no problems putting a sub-par receiver on the field even if it risks his health.

How about this: If Orton didn't SUCK, it wouldn't MATTER if even our best receiver was out. He could make do with the others who are in. But no... he is subpar.. mediocre.. average, at best. He doesn't have the ability to consistently find other receivers. So it's Marshall or bust?

Please... if Orton is "the guy," it shouldn't matter that Marshall is not in there.

what does orton have to do wiht this at all? mcdaniels wants players who are capable of playing on the field....

BroncoBuff
01-01-2010, 07:56 PM
Not good for B-Marsh problems to surface again. It's probably mostly Brandon's fault, but it will hurt Josh more than him ... Josh has really gone all-in with Marshall. Focusing so intently on him - feeding and feeding him - has left Scheffler and especially Royal left out of the mix.

BigPlayShay
01-01-2010, 07:58 PM
So, he gets to 100 + catches, gets a pro bowl nod, and then "strains" (not pulls according to him) a hammy during the slow paced media portion of practice? Something fishy about all this.

ScottXray
01-01-2010, 08:01 PM
comin late to the party...jest heard about all this shyt.,

Well, If BM isn't playing Maybe Orton will look at other receivers...
instead of hoping BM can outjump the defenders of underthrown balls.

Might actually be a good thing...Orton has lost his safety net...has to perform...

Wait....We are playing the chefs and have a shot at making the playoffs?

Oh CRAP!

go_broncos
01-01-2010, 08:02 PM
Mcd is losing all good player's on offense..This is not good.
I think he be fired next season.
Unfortunately, by that time..the damage is done. None of the FA's wants to come here.

It is the duty of the Bowlen to interfere and warn Mcd.
Mcd has too much ego.

outdoor_miner
01-01-2010, 08:04 PM

I agree. Don't see how taking this in the media is in any way productive.

oubronco
01-01-2010, 08:28 PM
Yep.

Conversely, I'm just trying to scan the fuzzy memory banks and recall a time a key player injured himself in practice the week before what amounts to a playoff game.

I just never remember Rod Smith having issues like this... or Eddie Mac, etc.

Not saying it didn't happen, but it's the biggest game of the season, and our (theoretical) star receiver hurts himself so badly jogging in practice that he can't play?

Again, it just seems like if Rod Smith would have hurt his leg in practice... we all would have been absolutely shocked. With Marshall, for some reason... this just isn't that surprising.

Oh good God here we go

Beantown Bronco
01-01-2010, 08:46 PM
Um.. how are any of you judging Marshall, who HAS done his part, all season? You have no idea if he is ok or not. Seems you have no problems putting a sub-par receiver on the field even if it risks his health..

No worse than people bagging on McDaniels even though he's doing essentially what Marshall told him to do.

Come again? Less than a week ago, our offense put up 27 pts (its second best performance ALL SEASON) with Marshall only accounting for 39 yards and no TDs.

Seems to me Orton can do just fine without him if need be.

Beantown Bronco
01-01-2010, 08:48 PM
Mcd is losing all good player's on offense..This is not good.
I think he be fired next season.
Unfortunately, by that time..the damage is done. None of the FA's wants to come here.

Hilarious. I read this exact post dozens of times last offseason. What happened? Every quality FA they showed interest in signed here.

bpc
01-01-2010, 08:55 PM
I love how some fans have taken the opportunity to bash Shanahan.

Figures.

DBroncos4life
01-01-2010, 09:03 PM
Hilarious. I read this exact post dozens of times last offseason. What happened? Every quality FA they showed interest in signed here.

I'm not going to disagree with this but, it's not like we brought in "huge" named players outside of Dawkins and he was paid very well. Goodman is solid and a hard worker but till last year his numbers were nothing to get all excited about. The problem is if Marshall does leave then that almost forces us to HAVE to take Dez Bryant if he is there with the Bears pick. If he does leave it creates yet another hole on a team that doesn't need holes to be created.

Beantown Bronco
01-01-2010, 09:18 PM
I'm not going to disagree with this but, it's not like we brought in "huge" named players outside of Dawkins and he was paid very well. Goodman is solid and a hard worker but till last year his numbers were nothing to get all excited about. The problem is if Marshall does leave then that almost forces us to HAVE to take Dez Bryant if he is there with the Bears pick. If he does leave it creates yet another hole on a team that doesn't need holes to be created.

Agreed. I just can't stand reading the same foolishness about "no FA would ever come here with all the drama" nonsense. If that were truly the case, guys would NEVER sign with Oakland, KC, Cleveland or any of the other joke franchises that have zero shot at winning anything. 90% of the time, FAs go where the money is. Period.

Archer81
01-01-2010, 09:19 PM
This is alot of hair pulling and worrying about nothing. Marshall says he can't go. McDaniels is angry his best receiver cant go. Not much more to it than that.

:Broncos:

lod01
01-01-2010, 09:24 PM
McDoosh is an idiot.

Broncos4tw
01-01-2010, 09:47 PM
This is alot of hair pulling and worrying about nothing. Marshall says he can't go. McDaniels is angry his best receiver cant go. Not much more to it than that.

McD is so angry, he sat Marshall and basically said "he has a bad attitude." That's BS. A player is injured, and the response is to sit him in anger?

I can see free agents just flocking to play for us.. after all, McD is such a great guy to play for. Doesn't toss you under the bus or anything like that...

Archer81
01-01-2010, 09:50 PM
McD is so angry, he sat Marshall and basically said "he has a bad attitude." That's BS. A player is injured, and the response is to sit him in anger?

I can see free agents just flocking to play for us.. after all, McD is such a great guy to play for. Doesn't toss you under the bus or anything like that...

This is an example of the overreaction that I was talking about.

Much ado about nothing.

ZONA
01-01-2010, 10:01 PM
I don't understand all the fuss. If Marshall can't explode enough to run routes well, he probably won't get open and there is no way he could turn a bubble screen into anything significant. The dude is hurt. Josh probably feels like if he loses at home to KC it's really really going to look bad on him and he wants to do everything he can to win the game and have a winning record. Can't blame him for that. But the Broncos organization should see the big picture and not try and piss Marshall off. He's turned his stuff around and there were many games this season where it seemed like he was the only one who did anything good. He very well could be the best player on the team. Just let the man sit out and become healthy.

Let's imagine for a second that the Broncos played Marshall against the Chiefs and won, but he injured himself further. And the Broncos got lucky and some other teams lost and now the Broncos are IN the playoffs and without Marshall. Not good.

The Broncos should be able to beat KC at home without Marshall. If they can't, screw it, they don't deserve to be in the playoffs. And when Marshall doesn't play, and the Broncos win, and if we get lucky to get in the playoffs, hopefully he's much closer to 100% and we have a chance to actually win a playoff game.

yavoon
01-01-2010, 10:11 PM
I don't understand all the fuss. If Marshall can't explode enough to run routes well, he probably won't get open and there is no way he could turn a bubble screen into anything significant. The dude is hurt. Josh probably feels like if he loses at home to KC it's really really going to look bad on him and he wants to do everything he can to win the game and have a winning record. Can't blame him for that. But the Broncos organization should see the big picture and not try and piss Marshall off. He's turned his stuff around and there were many games this season where it seemed like he was the only one who did anything good. He very well could be the best player on the team. Just let the man sit out and become healthy.

Let's imagine for a second that the Broncos played Marshall against the Chiefs and won, but he injured himself further. And the Broncos got lucky and some other teams lost and now the Broncos are IN the playoffs and without Marshall. Not good.

The Broncos should be able to beat KC at home without Marshall. If they can't, screw it, they don't deserve to be in the playoffs. And when Marshall doesn't play, and the Broncos win, and if we get lucky to get in the playoffs, hopefully he's much closer to 100% and we have a chance to actually win a playoff game.

he's not god damn desean jackson. if any type of receiver doesn't need "explosiveness" its marshall. sit in a zone, catch the ball turn around and run someone over.

watermock
01-01-2010, 10:26 PM
Unreal.

McMoron isn't even close to qualified for anything more than waterboy.

Marshall kept his cool.

This is a very poor team.

Bowlen should cut bait next week.

Lolad
01-01-2010, 10:38 PM
All of you have biased opinions.

Have any of you played with a strained or pulled hamstring? That **** hurts and you can hardly push off. And playing on it only makes the injury worse!

You folks talking about Marshall doesn't want to give his all.. On every damn chance he gets the ball he gives his all. You can see it on every damn play. Dude played with a damn Seriously bad hip last year... And NOBODY KNEW ABOUT IT!

McDaniels should STFU, he could have simply said Marshall will not play on Sunday due to injury. Nobody would have questioned it because they saw him pull up.

Marshall is gone next season for sure after this IF we don't make playoffs.

Popps
01-01-2010, 10:42 PM

Again, Brandon is the one that says he hurt himself jogging in practice.

McDaniels just isn't happy about it and given Brandon's history, most people are going to figure there might be some reason why.

As for free agents, Brian Dawkins could have played anywhere in the league. He chose McDaniels and like 98% of our roster, has had no problems.

You're out in fantasy-land.

ZONA
01-01-2010, 10:52 PM
he's not god damn desean jackson. if any type of receiver doesn't need "explosiveness" its marshall. sit in a zone, catch the ball turn around and run someone over.

Yeah, that's great for the weekend warriors who slam a few brews before taking the dirt lot with their friends. But we're talking NFL players here. You know, the best football players in the world. The league where alot of 300 pound linemen can run faster then you. Trying to run all over the place with one leg in the NFL is not going to get it done. Hamstrings are nothing to mess around with.

I'm actually surprised that McD would even actually want Marshall to play being hurt. As a coach, I want the best chance to win and that's probably going to be easier with a healthy Royal instead of a limping Marshall. Trying to run with a tight or pulled hamstring is almost impossible. I wonder how Petyon Manning would throw with a pulled forearm or a dislocated thumb. Probably not so well.

ZONA
01-01-2010, 10:54 PM
Again, Brandon is the one that says he hurt himself jogging in practice.

To be fair, he said alot more then that. He said it tightened up on him in the Philly game and he even had to get an IV because it was starting to pull on him at that time. Practicing on it is when it finally pulled all the way.

Taco John
01-01-2010, 11:01 PM

There's definitely more to it than that when you consider that McDaniel's went to the media with his frustrations. That was a pure rookie move. This entire thing shouldn't be being played out on this message board, let alone the entire NFL media-sphere. The fact that this has turned into public knowledge does absolutely nothing to strengthen the team's position where it comes to dealing with Marshall.

~Crash~
01-01-2010, 11:01 PM

heck the owners want more control it's not like they are going to start caving on this they want 6 years of RFA .. and I don't blame them. they put a **** load of money into these guys to get them into players.

~Crash~
01-01-2010, 11:05 PM
Our fearless leader is doing this so he can low ball Marshall a first round tenure and get a 1 and 2 round pick out of him and most broncos fans will keep right on biting McD chum .

Mr.Meanie
01-01-2010, 11:06 PM
Theres a lot of stupid going on in the Mane lately, and in this thread in particular.

Beantown Bronco
01-01-2010, 11:28 PM
I'm actually surprised that McD would even actually want Marshall to play being hurt. As a coach, I want the best chance to win and that's probably going to be easier with a healthy Royal instead of a limping Marshall. Trying to run with a tight or pulled hamstring is almost impossible. I wonder how Petyon Manning would throw with a pulled forearm or a dislocated thumb. Probably not so well.

Orton sucked it up and did it. Just sayin.

ZONA
01-01-2010, 11:50 PM
Orton sucked it up and did it. Just sayin.

Kyle had a cut on his finger, not a dislocated thumb, big difference to a QB. Just sayin.

Hulamau
01-01-2010, 11:51 PM

Bingo!

watermock
01-01-2010, 11:55 PM
Marshall didn't pull himself out, McMoron did.

Hulamau
01-01-2010, 11:56 PM
Unreal.

McMoron isn't even close to qualified for anything more than waterboy.

Marshall kept his cool.

This is a very poor team.

Bowlen should cut bait next week.

And we can all be thankful at the start of this new year that Mock is Mock and NOT Bowlen....

Beantown Bronco
01-01-2010, 11:59 PM
Kyle had a cut on his finger, not a dislocated thumb, big difference to a QB. Just sayin.

It wasn't just a cut. It was a dislocated finger. Big difference.

BroncoMan4ever
01-02-2010, 12:31 AM
well looks like we will be going after Dez Bryant in the draft.

Popps
01-02-2010, 12:42 AM
All I'm saying is... 2 days from arguably the biggest game of Marshall's career... and he hurts himself jogging in practice.

Once again, I just never recall Rod Smith, Shannon Sharpe, Eddie or any other great receivers having this many issues.

Should McDaniels have made a comment about it? I have no idea, but maybe he thinks there's more value in setting an atmosphere for the guys that are staying... and paying respects to the guys that DO show up and bust their asses every day, without a circus.

I'll wait and watch this play out, but thus far... Marshall has a long history of being a problem, and only a BRIEF history of not being one.

McDaniels can't be judged by anything other than he was able to make us a better team in one season. We'll see where it goes from there.

BabyTO
01-02-2010, 06:26 AM
It wasn't just a cut. It was a dislocated finger. Big difference.
So what? Last year Marshall played every single game with a messed up hip and didnt complain until he was told (and not even by our medical staff) that his hip is actually messed up and that he had to get surgery done in order to fix it. Why don't you mention that? Why dont you give him any credit for that? Instead you question whether he's tough enough, which is just bullcrap if you've ever seen him play. He's arguably the toughest guy to bring down, he breaks tackles, he takes so many shots but he always gets up and smiles. Its not a question about toughness. Besides he's played through so many leg injuries. In training camp, offseason etc. but you forget all those things.

Now you make a big deal about how Orton played through a cut on his finger. Big ****in deal. Cutler broke his finger last year vs the Bills.

Teams don't give a **** about players, thats what Marshall learned last year the hard way. Why would he go through the same **** again? They stabbed him in the back before, he already said he doesn't trust our medical staff anymore. I wouldnt. Neither would you.

Killericon
01-02-2010, 06:38 AM
There's definitely more to it than that when you consider that McDaniel's went to the media with his frustrations. That was a pure rookie move. This entire thing shouldn't be being played out on this message board, let alone the entire NFL media-sphere. The fact that this has turned into public knowledge does absolutely nothing to strengthen the team's position where it comes to dealing with Marshall.

My thinking is that there's more going on here. I think something happened with Marshall, and McDaniels kept it quiet, but he wanted to publicly bitch-slap him for it. Marshall is playing the whole thing like he has a mild hamstring injury.

There HAS to be more than an injury at play here, guys...Say what you will about McDaniels' ability as a coach, but he has basic cognitive functions. Some of you guys are saying that he got mad at Marshall, because Marshall got injured to the point where he can't play, and so he benched Marshall? Who couldn't play to begin with? I'm sorry, that doesn't make any sense. Either there's far less going on here, or far more.

brother love
01-02-2010, 07:00 AM
What does it matter either way Marshall was not going to play this week.

eddie mac
01-02-2010, 07:05 AM
What does it matter either way Marshall was not going to play this week.

From a playing point of view it doesn't matter but it relights the McDaniels and Marshall debate and whether he'll be a Bronco in 2010.

jsco70
01-02-2010, 07:38 AM
From a playing point of view it doesn't matter but it relights the McDaniels and Marshall debate and whether he'll be a Bronco in 2010.

It seems pretty clear from my perspective. Marshall will be playing elsewhere in 2010. I can't see how he can remain on the team after this.

What I want to know, if it isn't the hamstring, just what did Marshall do to deserve this? I haven't seen him dogging it in any recent games. We'll probably never know at this point.

Meck77
01-02-2010, 07:41 AM
Either there's far less going on here, or far more.

Some of the posters here could write scripts for soap operas.

Beantown Bronco
01-02-2010, 07:56 AM
So what?

What do you mean, so what? Follow the exchange.

Zona tried to compare Marshall playing with a sore hammy with Manning trying to play with a dislocated finger.

I pointed out that Orton did that VERY thing this year. He played with a dislocated finger. He didn't go to McD and say "put Simms in there, I can't go."

I wasn't the one to initiate the discussion which compared the two injuries. I was just pointing out the irony in the statement, considering Orton did it just this year for us.

Last year Marshall played every single game with a messed up hip and didnt complain until he was told (and not even by our medical staff) that his hip is actually messed up and that he had to get surgery done in order to fix it. Why don't you mention that?

If you've been following any of these threads, you'll see me discuss this at length, actually. I specifically said that I'm EXTREMELY worred that, for as long as he remains a Bronco, he's always going to play the "you guys screwed up my diagnosis once, so I'm never going to listen to you again as I sit out every game where I have an even slight ouchie" card. It's a legit concern I think. Obviously, it's where his head is at right now and I see no reason to believe it's going to change.

Why dont you give him any credit for that? Instead you question whether he's tough enough, which is just bullcrap if you've ever seen him play. He's arguably the toughest guy to bring down, he breaks tackles, he takes so many shots but he always gets up and smiles. Its not a question about toughness. Besides he's played through so many leg injuries. In training camp, offseason etc. but you forget all those things.

Once again, you are not seeing the real argument. Nobody is really questioning his toughness. What we are questioning is his decision making and his future here. Will he EVER trust our medical staff again? If not, if he never trusts them to make the right diagnosis again, will he choose to do what he's doing right now? Will he simply sit himself down any time HE feels he's hurt, even if all the tests come back negative?

Now you make a big deal about how Orton played through a cut on his finger. Big ****in deal. Cutler broke his finger last year vs the Bills.

1. I'm not making a big deal about it. I'm pointing out the irony of Zona's statement that a QB couldn't/shouldn't play with said injury just weeks after Orton did just that.

2. It was the Pats, not Bills.

3. You are actually proving McD's point that guys play with worse injuries every week.

Teams don't give a **** about players, thats what Marshall learned last year the hard way. Why would he go through the same **** again? They stabbed him in the back before, he already said he doesn't trust our medical staff anymore. I wouldnt. Neither would you.

If you really believe this, then you must be sure that Marshall will be gone this offseason. Right?

400HZ
01-02-2010, 09:01 AM
You guys have a serious long term problem if your coach is continually unable to get along with players. The players make the coaches in the NFL, not the other way around. Many of those players have big egos, and that goes for every team, but as a professional coach I think you are expected to work ego-related problems out, or at least keep the problems in house. How difficult would it have been for McDaniels to simply rule out Marshall for Sunday due to injury? His ego wouldn't allow that? Why did he make a point of calling Marshall and your whiny tight end out in the media? The fact that McDaniels can't seem to either control or even get along with his players is a disturbing longterm problem. No team is ever going to have 53 Tedy Bruschi's or 53 Rod Smith's.

Ray Finkle
01-02-2010, 09:04 AM
You guys have a serious long term problem if your coach is continually unable to get along with players. The players make the coaches in the NFL, not the other way around. Many of those players have big egos, and that goes for every team, but as a professional coach I think you are expected to work ego-related problems out, or at least keep the problems in house. How difficult would it have been for McDaniels to simply rule out Marshall for Sunday due to injury? His ego wouldn't allow that? Why did he make a point of calling Marshall and your whiny tight end out in the media? The fact that McDaniels can't seem to either control or even get along with his players is a disturbing longterm problem. No team is ever going to have 53 Tedy Bruschi's or 53 Rod Smith's.

Shanahan had problems with Marshall and called him out in the media in a similar instance....

Beantown Bronco
01-02-2010, 09:05 AM
2 guys out of 50 means he can't get along with players? And the hugs and the high fives between he and Marshall during games makes even that one questionable.

Show me where even 5 guys have spoken out against him or the other way around.

tsiguy96
01-02-2010, 09:13 AM

it is kinda crazy it keeps happening to multiple offensive players. maybe because they are expecting something like last year and arent going to getit?

400HZ
01-02-2010, 10:24 AM
Shanahan had problems with Marshall and called him out in the media in a similar instance....

True, but that was more of a nudge than the McDaniels style open-palmed slap. It didn't happen twice in one year, either.

400HZ
01-02-2010, 10:30 AM
2 guys out of 50 means he can't get along with players? And the hugs and the high fives between he and Marshall during games makes even that one questionable.

Show me where even 5 guys have spoken out against him or the other way around.

Everyone's happy when you're 6-0, but you're not going to be 6-0 all the time. Adversity reveals character. There isn't another team in the league who has deactivated a player of Marshall's importance (especially not twice, which McDaniels basically did) entirely due to attitude issues. Then throw Scheffler in there. Those are clearly two very, very immature players, but I guarentee that other coaches around the league have dealt with similar players this year without creating media firestorms and losing their contributions on gameday.

Cito Pelon
01-02-2010, 10:34 AM
Sounds like both McD and Marshall did & said some dumb things.

Why did McD deactivate him so early? Why not wait til Sunday?

Why did Marshall declare himself unable to play effectively so early?

Beantown Bronco
01-02-2010, 11:16 AM
There isn't another team in the league who has deactivated a player of Marshall's importance (especially not twice, which McDaniels basically did) entirely due to attitude issues.

1st deactivation was preseason. Big deal.

2nd deactivation was injury. He wasn't going to see the field even if he was technically listed as active, so why waste the roster spot? McD did the right thing.

baja
01-02-2010, 11:30 AM
I just wish our coach would learn to keep his mouth shut about this stuff...

If Brandon is going to be traded this offseason it would sure help his value if possible partners didn't know about this issue.

I agree with this post of Dave's, calling Marshall out in public is just plain stupid, nothing good can come out of this only bad so why do it. Stupid!

400HZ
01-02-2010, 01:54 PM
1st deactivation was preseason. Big deal.

2nd deactivation was injury. He wasn't going to see the field even if he was technically listed as active, so why waste the roster spot? McD did the right thing.

I watched the press conference. McDaniels made a deliberate point of saying that Marshall was being deactivated due to a 'coaches decision' and not because of an injury. IE the deactivation is due to their pissing contest and McDaniels once again feeling the need to assert himself.

lod01
01-02-2010, 03:26 PM
I watched the press conference. McDaniels made a deliberate point of saying that Marshall was being deactivated due to a 'coaches decision' and not because of an injury. IE the deactivation is due to their pissing contest and McDaniels once again feeling the need to assert himself.

McDummy is a pile of ****, hack, rookie coach. A smart coach dresses Marshall and give the appearance that he will play (since he could play). KC now just has to game plan for the run.

sixtimeseight
01-02-2010, 03:31 PM
post even less.

MplsBronco
01-02-2010, 04:46 PM
Sounds to me like Marshall is playing games. Even if he is hurt and isn't 100% the Rod Smiths and Champ Baileys of the world say they will suit up and then go out and give 100% until they can't go anymore. Marshall is pretty much saying he is not willing to give that kind of effort. McDaniels is calling him on it. This team is loading with a bunch of me first assholes and I am sick of it.

MplsBronco
01-02-2010, 04:59 PM
And for those blaming McD on this, he gets paid to win games. How does this benefit him?

Marshall gets paid on his statitics, not the fact that he has never played in a playoff game or helped the team to a winning record. He's got his stats for the year so everyone should be seriously questioning his credibility, competitiveness and desire to be a WINNER.

eddie mac
01-02-2010, 05:15 PM
McDummy is a pile of ****, hack, rookie coach. A smart coach dresses Marshall and give the appearance that he will play (since he could play). KC now just has to game plan for the run.

They've been gameplanning to stop the run since 2007.LOL

Cito Pelon
01-02-2010, 06:05 PM
Sounds to me like Marshall is playing games. Even if he is hurt and isn't 100% the Rod Smiths and Champ Baileys of the world say they will suit up and then go out and give 100% until they can't go anymore. Marshall is pretty much saying he is not willing to give that kind of effort. McDaniels is calling him on it. This team is loading with a bunch of me first a-holes and I am sick of it.

Ah, Marshall was maybe looking for a hug, McD doesn't treat him special. I don't know if it's a big deal. Someone said above if Denver makes the playoffs it's a new season.

Cito Pelon
01-02-2010, 06:16 PM

Yeah, sure. Just like that, eh? A snap of the fingers and Denver has no passing game. I have to agree that deactivating Marshall on Friday doesn't seem real smart. But, we don't know the entire story.

It's been the same theme since one calendar year ago - nobody knows the whole story. And those who said over and over to relax and see how it plays out were correct. Those who keep going hysterical have looked like fools.

NYBronco
01-02-2010, 06:21 PM
From what I am getting out of this, it's the Marshall preseason punt and drop passes intentionally rant again. He seemed to have learned from his past mistake and is using a different approach.

Marshall is again frustrated that contract negotiations aren't proceeding in a manner that serves his timeline.