PDA

View Full Version : A Fun Little Hypothetical That Most Of You Will Hate

RhymesayersDU
12-30-2009, 06:35 PM
So this whole "Uncapped Year" thing that the Mayans predicted is quickly coming. And there's an interesting quirk:

For teams, there is one major downside, the Final Eight Plan, that affects only the teams that reach the Divisional Round (the second week) of the playoffs.

Teams that lose in the second week will be limited in their ability to sign unrestricted free agents. They'll be able to sign one UFA to a large contract (more than about $5 million per year), and as many players as they want to small contracts.

Teams that reach the Conference Championships, however, get both presents and coal in their stockings. Win or lose, by being one of the final four teams, they will be subject to three major limitations:

•They can resign their own players with no additional restrictions beyond those placed on any other team.
•Beyond that, however, they can only sign one free agent for each one they lose, and the departing free agent's new contract sets a limit on the size of the new player's contract.
•The teams can trade for players given franchise and/or restricted free agent tenders, but they cannot circumvent the above rule by trading for a player they couldn't sign as a free agent.
•The teams are free to sign players that clear waivers, but not all players go through the waiver process before becoming UFAs.

In very simplistic terms, if 2010 is uncapped, 2009 is not the year a team wants to be Cinderella showing up at the ball.

So the question is this:
-Assuming you knew that we wouldn't win the SuperBowl, would you rather go balls out, make the playoffs and maybe even win a playoff game and face these restrictions, or would you rather not make the playoffs at all or lose in the first round?

I realize that most people on this board are vehemently against tanking for draft position. We've had that discussion before. I figure those same people will hate even more the idea of tanking for a situation that may or may not even happen.

But truthfully, would making the playoffs and winning 1 game really be good for us or any other team that doesn't have a realistic shot at making the SuperBowl? I mean it's one thing for the Colts to go for the trophy. That makes sense. But what about a team like us? Or the Jets? Or Bengals? Or the Ravens?

Discuss.

baja
12-30-2009, 07:04 PM
Are suggesting we lose to KC on purpose to ensure missing the playoffs so we can sigh more free agents????

Ridiculous my man, ridiculous.

WABronco
12-30-2009, 07:06 PM
Totally cool story

Los Broncos
12-30-2009, 07:14 PM
Play to win, hoping for a loss is unacceptable.

RhymesayersDU
12-30-2009, 07:15 PM
Are suggesting we lose to KC on purpose to ensure missing the playoffs so we can sigh more free agents????

Ridiculous my man, ridiculous.

Look, to be honest I'm not even saying I'm for this idea per se. Especially since it may not even happen. But you have to admit, for a team who is on the rise but not quite there yet, the potential restrictions are huge for a team that makes the playoffs and win a game or two.

gunns
12-30-2009, 08:04 PM
I'm not understanding all of this, not just what you posted above. Why aren't the powers that be working their ass's off to get this solved and getting an agreement?

RhymesayersDU
12-30-2009, 08:12 PM
gunns, to my knowledge they are. I don't think Goodell, etc, are just sitting back on a beach somewhere. But apparently the two sides are far apart, and this may become reality.

baja
12-30-2009, 08:14 PM
I'm not understanding all of this, not just what you posted above. Why aren't the powers that be working their ass's off to get this solved and getting an agreement?

The owners don't want a deal, they want the players to sweat for a season or two. Expect collusion.

gunns
12-30-2009, 08:18 PM
Why would they want their product to sweat? I just do not understand all of this. BUT, if it somewhat gets the players contracts under control, I'm for it. Primarily the rookies, they should not be making more than those who have proven themselves. I don't understand everything involved or if what I posted above is even involved. I just fear a strike. I cannot go without football!

loborugger
12-30-2009, 08:51 PM
http://bryanjoiner.files.wordpress.com/2009/11/picture-1.png?w=300&h=225

Your threads lately have just been one little gem after another...

Cool Breeze
12-30-2009, 09:30 PM
Teams that lose in the second week will be limited in their ability to sign unrestricted free agents. They'll be able to sign one UFA to a large contract (more than about $5 million per year), and as many players as they want to small contracts.

As long as they sign Aubrayo Fraklin, I'll be happy.

RhymesayersDU
12-30-2009, 09:53 PM
http://bryanjoiner.files.wordpress.com/2009/11/picture-1.png?w=300&h=225

Your threads lately have just been one little gem after another...

Again, I'm not saying we should tank. But what I am saying is, the potential restrictions have got to be at least a little scary unless you have a legitimate shot at winning it all.

watermock
12-30-2009, 09:58 PM
We aren't going to make the playofs anyway, so it's moot.

Mecklomaniac
12-30-2009, 10:27 PM
Wow I can't stand McKiffen and his chosen QB and would love to see them leave, but I would never root for a loss.

Hercules Rockefeller
12-30-2009, 11:00 PM
Playoffs. I've said it multiple times already, it's not going to be a FA free-for-all in March like some think. All the good young guys aren't eligible yet, and any older, good player is going to get the franchise tag or one of the two transition tags. It's going to be slim pickings for the most part.

gunns
12-30-2009, 11:10 PM

As long as they sign Aubrayo Fraklin, I'll be happy.

I think SF may put the franchise tag on him.