PDA

View Full Version : preseason kicker britton colquitt signed to active roster

tsiguy96
12-30-2009, 08:13 AM
mitch berger NOT cut. yet.....

PostBroncos

Got confirmation that P Britton Colquitt has been signed to the active roster. Mitch Berger remains on roster, too.

Man-Goblin
12-30-2009, 08:14 AM
Sounds like Berger is cooked. Get it? Berger? Cooked?

He should have stayed off spacebook.

bowtown
12-30-2009, 08:15 AM
http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?p=2695168#post2695168

oubronco
12-30-2009, 08:16 AM
Woohoo

Steve Prefontaine
12-30-2009, 08:17 AM
sounds like berger is cooked. Get it? Berger? Cooked?

Hilarious!

Kaylore
12-30-2009, 08:27 AM
Sounds like Berger is cooked. Get it? Berger? Cooked?

:spit:

dbfan21
12-30-2009, 08:37 AM

You genius! Now, using your powers of prediction and insight, tell us: Are we going to make the playoffs this year? ;D

bowtown
12-30-2009, 08:42 AM
You genius! Now, using your powers of prediction and insight, tell us: Are we going to make the playoffs this year? ;D

http://www.btcnews.com/btcnews/wp-content/uploads/2007/12/magic8ball_betcherass.jpg

Bronco Yoda
12-30-2009, 08:43 AM
We're turning to a healthier game plan finally?

Trim a little fat off our suckage?

Coldcuts now over burgers.

Watching our saturated-sucking stats.

Dr. Broncenstein
12-30-2009, 08:48 AM
Why on earth is it so hard to find a guy to reliably punt a football? Punt a GD football, hold a snap... that's it. That's all they have to do. It's an actual career with a realistic probability of longterm financial security if not outright weatlh. Yet we haven't been able to field a decent punter since Mike Horan... a drought of almost 20 years.

Kaylore
12-30-2009, 08:51 AM
Why on earth is it so hard to find a guy to reliably punt a football? Punt a GD football, hold a snap... that's it. That's all they have to do. It's an actual career with a realistic probability of longterm financial security if not outright weatlh. Yet we haven't been able to field a decent punter since Mike Horan... a drought of almost 20 years.

http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/5070/clapv.gif

Rulon Velvet Jones
12-30-2009, 09:10 AM
It's a little too late with Berger, though.

I was of the mind that he should have just thrown the ball instead of punting it. Lord knows he would have gotten more yardage that way.

meangene
12-30-2009, 09:18 AM
Hopefully he will punt well enough to get a shot for next year. Sometimes it takes these punters a year or two to develop. A few punters we have cut ended up making it elsewhere. I didn't think there was much of a difference between him and Kern in preseason and would not have been surprised if he made the final cut.

Paladin
12-30-2009, 09:23 AM
It's a little too late with Berger, though.

I was of the mind that he should have just thrown the ball instead of punting it. Lord knows he would have gotten more yardage that way.

Maybe. I heard he had a rag arm......

And Colquit may have gotten off the sauce. I had read where he might have made it if he'd stop guzzling the booze.....

2KBack
12-30-2009, 09:28 AM
If I remember correctly, this guy was going kick for kick with Kern, but wasn't as quick to get the kick off. I do think he was much better at angling kicks though. He downed several inside the 20 in the last preseason game he played.

Rabb
12-30-2009, 09:39 AM
we could have taken a punt/pass/kick kid from the 9 year old and up category and been better off than Berger

glad Colquitt is returning

Hogan11
12-30-2009, 09:48 AM
Colquitt should've never been sent packing in the first place

go_broncos
12-30-2009, 10:42 AM
Good decission by Mcd

baja
12-30-2009, 11:12 AM
:spit:

What's the facebook reference???

baja
12-30-2009, 11:14 AM

I have wondered the same also what happened to the coffin corner kick?

MplsBronco
12-30-2009, 11:37 AM
I hope they keep Berger as the holder. I do think he adds value there and offers insight to Prater.

~Crash~
12-30-2009, 11:44 AM

not bad lol :curtsey:

~Crash~
12-30-2009, 11:45 AM
I hope they keep Berger as the holder. I do think he adds value there and offers insight to Prater.

lol then we can trade him for a first round pick^5

~Crash~
12-30-2009, 11:48 AM
Colquitt should've never been sent packing in the first place

yes and no he sucked at first but he did get way better his last two games . I like his kicking high and was the best we have ever had at getting the ball to die inside the 5 yard line..

Mr.Meanie
12-30-2009, 12:57 PM
Interesting. I wonder if this means we draft a P this year.

Great move though! He'll be with the club through the offseason and into training camp next year. He can also be a backup kicker in case something happens to Prater.

This sort of shoots down the whole "McD is too arrogant to admit making a mistake" argument, no?

Bronco Warrior
12-30-2009, 01:27 PM
OK! We had Colquitt on the practice squad the whole time and we brought in that pile of Chit Berger? WTF?? What a waste of 10 games at punter!!

Rabb
12-30-2009, 01:30 PM
OK! We had Colquitt on the practice squad the whole time and we brought in that pile of Chit Berger? WTF?? What a waste of 10 games at punter!!

no dude, he was on Miami's PS, not ours

:dummy:

Bronco Warrior
12-30-2009, 01:30 PM
Interesting. I wonder if this means we draft a P this year.

This sort of shoots down the whole "McD is too arrogant to admit making a mistake" argument, no?

If he wasn't too ignorant to admit a mistake when they worked them both out together before cutting Kern...they would have signed him to the active and not just the PS. Berger sucked and we had Colquitt on the PS...that is being hard headed plain and simple!

Bronco Warrior
12-30-2009, 01:31 PM
The page just said practicce squad..assumed it was ours :D

Rabb
12-30-2009, 01:32 PM
If he wasn't too ignorant to admit a mistake when they worked them both out together before cutting Kern...they would have signed him to the active and not just the PS. Berger sucked and we had Colquitt on the PS...that is being hard headed plain and simple!

did you even read the post or follow the Broncos?

some people just beg for waterboarding

Rabb
12-30-2009, 01:32 PM
The page just said practicce squad..assumed it was ours :D

well good at least you didn't overreact

Wes Mantooth
12-30-2009, 01:49 PM
We are 6-0 without berger

yerner
12-30-2009, 01:50 PM
Any news on the Scheffler demotion to scout team and this weeks healthy scratch?

Bronco Warrior
12-30-2009, 01:53 PM
well good at least you didn't overreact

Don't worry! I didn't want to let you down so I over-reacted on the other comment you made! LOL!

Bronco Warrior
12-30-2009, 01:56 PM
And yes I follow the broncos..only every minute of every season since '74..lol! Just not the practice squad so much, and I know he was worked out the same time Berger was..thought he was signed to our PS then for some reason when I saw "Signed off the practice squad"

Beantown Bronco
12-30-2009, 01:57 PM
Any news on the Scheffler demotion to scout team and this weeks healthy scratch?

I had a pretty healthy scratch this morning.....I think Mrs. Bean is sleeping around.

Bronco Warrior
12-30-2009, 02:00 PM
I had a pretty healthy scratch this morning.....I think Mrs. Bean is sleeping around.

Get a Lice Comb and some antibiotic cream and pills and you'll be alright bro!
Tell her I said Next time she pays for the room!! lol! JK!

baja
12-30-2009, 02:07 PM

She said you would know. Not to worry we have a salve for that here in Baja where the itch comes from.

Bronco Warrior
12-30-2009, 02:10 PM
She said you would know. Not to worry we have a salve for that here in Baja where the itch comes from.

Yep! Mrs. Bean's Crabs spealka Da Spanish!! lol!!

eddie mac
12-30-2009, 10:33 PM
I've a funny feeling we signed this guy in order to compete next year incase someone else picked him up on a futures contract.

Popps
12-30-2009, 10:45 PM
I've a funny feeling we signed this guy in order to compete next year incase someone else picked him up on a futures contract.

Former University of Tennessee punter Britton Colquitt is getting a second shot with the Denver Broncos and adding to the Colquitt legacy.

Colquitt, a graduate of Bearden High School, was signed by the Broncos from the Miami Dolphins’ practice squad and added to the active roster Wednesday.

“(Special teams coordinator Mike) Priefer and I, we had a good thing going when I was here — working with him, he improved me a lot and everything like that,” Colquitt told DenverBroncos.com. “Just kind of how the league is, I guess I’m learning you just never know what is going to happen and always have to stay ready.”

If Britton plays in a regular season NFL game, he would be the fourth member of the Colquitt family, all former UT players, to do so. Craig Colquitt, Britton’s father, played for the Pittsburgh Steelers (1978-84) and Jimmy Colquitt, Craig’s nephew, played one year for the Seattle Seahawks (1985). Britton’s brother, Dustin Colquitt, is in his fifth season for the Kansas City Chiefs.

Britton Colquitt entered the NFL with the Broncos as undrafted free agent on April 27, but was waived Sept. 1 before final roster cuts when Brett Kern won the starting job. Mitch Berger replaced Kern during the season.

Colquitt was out of football until Dec. 22 when the Dolphins picked him up.

Colquitt punted in three preseason games for the Broncos, averaging 41 yards on six punts. Four of those punts landed inside the opponent’s 20-yard line. Colquitt also kicked a 39-yard field goal in the Aug. 22 exhibition against the Seahawks.

Broncos coach Josh McDaniels said Berger, the holder for place-kicker Matt Prater, will punt the season finale Sunday against Kansas City.

“For right now it is more of a future thing,” Britton Colquitt told DenverBroncos.com. “To be here in the offseason program and not just come in where I was at the end of the summer, but at the beginning of the summer with everybody else.”

Before joining the Dolphins, Britton Colquitt was in Kansas City helping Dustin and his wife care for his two children, with a third on the way. Any chance of brother vs. brother in an NFL game will have to wait until next season.

“I’ll at least get to say hi to him because I’m probably not dressing,” Britton told DenverBroncos.com. “But it would be a cool thing and of course my dad would like it. But I think there is a future where maybe, and hopefully that could happen.”

Prater is 30-of-35 on field-goal attempts this season and has made all 30 of his PAT kicks. Craig Colquitt said he doubts the Broncos want to disrupt the place-kicking unit with Berger holding for Prater this week.

“That’s why in my mind he’s not going to punt (Sunday), but they didn’t say he absolutely would not,” Craig Colquitt said. “They said they wanted (Britton) to come out and beat (Berger) out. I’m confident Britton will do that. He’s been punting really well.”

At a press conference later Wednesday, McDaniels supported Berger.

“He’s our punter. He’s still punting,” he said, adding the Broncos were simply taking advantage of an opportunity by picking up Colquitt.

“He (Colquitt) is a guy that we are familiar with,” McDaniels said. “We felt that it was a good time to do this with a roster spot open.”

Berger, signed by Denver on Oct. 26 as an unrestricted free agent, is averaging 41.9 yards on 45 punts this season.

In Sunday’s 30-27 loss at Philadelphia, Berger averaged 34.9 yards on seven punts.

Craig Colquitt said the Broncos signed Britton to a two-year contract.

“Britton liked it in Miami, and they liked him,” Craig Colquitt said, “but Denver said they wanted him to take it (the punting) over. We’re excited for him.”

Hulamau
12-30-2009, 11:24 PM
I like this move Colquitt has had a year to mature and learn better placement ..He already has a monster leg. Saves us a draft pick/FA spot of need for sure and can get him on the cheap now.

Berger did make some good placement punts and had some high kicks for decent net return yards allowed this year, but had an uncanny knack for screwing the pooch at the worst time. Seriously had a hand in losing a couple games.

bap454
12-30-2009, 11:29 PM
...with a roster spot open." Who am I forgeting about here???

watermock
12-30-2009, 11:37 PM
Beavis is an idiot.

strafen
12-30-2009, 11:42 PM
Good decission by McdToo late. Good decision?
A good decision would've been made in TC.
He should've kept Colquitt. In my opinion he looked better than Kern in TC the times I went to see them.

Colquitt was one of the top punters in college for his knack at aiming the ball to the corners.

The thing that disturbs me about this, is that McDaniels hasn't cut Berger outright, as though he doesn't want to admit to a mistake.

Dagmar
12-30-2009, 11:46 PM
Beavis is an idiot.

An idiot who will finish the same as Shanahan with a worse QB (according to you), with a harder schedule than Shanahan last year, in his 1st year of head coaching.

Or more likely, a game better.

:thumbsup:

WABronco
12-31-2009, 12:14 AM
What the deuce enough coach speak COACH just get rid of this hag Berger.

Mr.Meanie
12-31-2009, 09:38 AM
...with a roster spot open." Who am I forgeting about here???

Hochstien and McKinley to IR

Bronco Warrior
12-31-2009, 03:56 PM
Kern has the better leg and we shoulda never cut him but Colquitt is a close second and ten times better that that scab Berger!! Thank Heavens coach pulled his pecker out of Berger's ass before we lost a shot at Britton! :D

yavoon
12-31-2009, 05:36 PM
I have wondered the same also what happened to the coffin corner kick?

it's easier to try to backspin it I imagine. also if u kick it high the d might get there before the ball lands.

SoCalBronco
12-31-2009, 05:37 PM
He's like the eighth Colquitt brother.

Pick Six
12-31-2009, 10:25 PM
What's the facebook reference???

That was part of a McDaniels quote. He doesn't get into Spacebook or MyFace. I thought it was a hilarious quote...:spit:

Bronco Warrior
01-01-2010, 08:40 AM
That was part of a McDaniels quote. He doesn't get into Spacebook or MyFace. I thought it was a hilarious quote...:spit:

No "Spacebook or MyFace" but he was all over TWITTER saying some real assinie stuff. The pot calling the kettle black if you ask me! lol!

STBumpkin
01-01-2010, 12:05 PM
Too late. Good decision?
A good decision would've been made in TC.
He should've kept Colquitt. In my opinion he looked better than Kern in TC the times I went to see them.

Colquitt was one of the top punters in college for his knack at aiming the ball to the corners.

The thing that disturbs me about this, is that McDaniels hasn't cut Berger outright, as though he doesn't want to admit to a mistake.

McD didn't cut Berger because he's Prater's holder. They work well together and Prater trusts him. Why mess that up when we had the open spot for Colquitt anyway?

broncocalijohn
01-01-2010, 12:26 PM
So maybe Colquitt plays also (active for the game) since Marshall isnt playing. A very fair swap. Top WR for a 2nd punter. You just never know when your starting punter gets hurt.