PDA

View Full Version : The bubble screen.....

long beach bronco
12-29-2009, 05:56 AM
Is nothing more than a glorified run, only that the scheme uses WR's as RB's. So basically everytime we run that play, in our eye's it's just another run that may or may not get any yards. This team should use real screens to the RB's which would allow both Moreno and Buck to use their juking skills running down field with offensive line help. We need to stop using this play so much, it's killing us. Orton needs to do a three step drop and throw down field more using the TE. Why can't MCD see that? Every team now has nine in the box to start these games, that's why we can't get anything going in the first halves. He need's to rethink his approach to the start of games and not putting the team in such a big hole that is too hard to climb out of.

bpc
12-29-2009, 05:58 AM
I understand what it does. We screen pass way too much.

long beach bronco
12-29-2009, 06:04 AM
It's funny, I can remember a few season's ago during the Plummer years that every other play was the dreaded "naked bootleg" and I in particular was saying "we should run a screen pass sometimes to throw off the defense." Now, I'm saying "we should run a naked bootleg sometimes to throw off the defense, and stop it with these dang screens all day."

jhns
12-29-2009, 06:14 AM
McDaniels never called this many screens in New England. They tell you a few things about this team. 1) We have problems in the run game and like you said, they are pretty much run plays. 2) The pass blocking isn't holding and this helps back them off. 3) McDaniels doesn't trust Orton much.

We throw a lot of screens to the receivers because we also throw a lot to the backs and you can't throw 20 screens to the RB every game. I agree that it seems to be over used.

dbfan21
12-29-2009, 06:15 AM
It's funny, I can remember a few season's ago during the Plummer years that every other play was the dreaded "naked bootleg" and I in particular was saying "we should run a screen pass sometimes to throw off the defense." Now, I'm saying "we should run a naked bootleg sometimes to throw off the defense, and stop it with these dang screens all day."

LBB, it's so funny that you were thinking that because I was thinking that too. I feel pretty confident in saying that we have run less than 10 naked bootlegs this year...and I am being pretty conservative with that guess-timate.

Since we never run it, I wonder if it's because Orton doesn't throw well on the move. But if we can get the defenders flowing one way and have Orton roll out, stop and throw with his feet planted, he should be able to get a nice spiral to a WR.

It's almost too little, too late. But if we can find a way to slip into the playoffs, it would be a nice wrinkle since that's a play opposing teams would not have much game film on.

elsid13
12-29-2009, 06:30 AM
LBB, it's so funny that you were thinking that because I was thinking that too. I feel pretty confident in saying that we have run less than 10 naked bootlegs this year...and I am being pretty conservative with that guess-timate.

Since we never run it, I wonder if it's because Orton doesn't throw well on the move. But if we can get the defenders flowing one way and have Orton roll out, stop and throw with his feet planted, he should be able to get a nice spiral to a WR.

It's almost too little, too late. But if we can find a way to slip into the playoffs, it would be a nice wrinkle since that's a play opposing teams would not have much game film on.

The bootleg isn't part of McDaniels system, so we won't be seeing it many time at all. Add to the fact that to have good bootleg you need to force the defense to flow to runner on other side of the field it would extremely stupid thing to run this year. The bootleg like ZBS are things of the past. The plays of the current and future are screens and traps/pulls.

TonyR
12-29-2009, 06:32 AM
Since we never run it, I wonder if it's because Orton doesn't throw well on the move.

I think that's mostly it. It was a strength of Plummer's, and it's certainly not a strength of Orton's.

dbfan21
12-29-2009, 06:38 AM
I think that's mostly it. It was a strength of Plummer's, and it's certainly not a strength of Orton's.

Yea...I could see that being the case. The bootleg had some terrific days in Denver over the years. Oh well...

prodigalson139
12-29-2009, 06:44 AM
It can be effective (the bubble screen) when used strategically. In my humble opinion, McDaniels has used it too much regardless of what he think about this team (I do agree with jhns' assessment).

As a result, it seems that his play calling is not very balanced...plus someone needs to teach these WR to hold their blocks (suspect at best)...and point out to Marshall when to simply get the first down (maddening how many times he comes up a foot short because he is moving laterally/backwards) and when to spin, step back, etc.

Steve Prefontaine
12-29-2009, 06:45 AM
Exactly. I would close my eyes and grab my nuts if I saw Orton trying to run a naked bootleg.

WolfpackGuy
12-29-2009, 06:55 AM
Teams and players have caught on.

It's good as a surprise play, but more than twice a game is too much.

Tombstone RJ
12-29-2009, 07:06 AM
I can't stand the bubble screen, especially when BMarsh is involved. I agree, it's a play everyone in the league knows the Broncos are going to run. Bmarsh is a helluva player but he's not a bubble screen guy. If McD insists on doing a bubble screen, throw it to Royal.

bpc
12-29-2009, 07:07 AM
Orton is too slow to run a bootleg, and doesn't set up to throw quickly. Combined, it would take four to five seconds to run and Orton doesn't have the athletic ability to roll out, read, setup, throw before windows closed.

I saw one game where he was running some half-rollouts. It may have been against Washington with the long passes we had but I can't recall right now.

bpc
12-29-2009, 07:08 AM
I can't stand the bubble screen, especially when BMarsh is involved. I agree, it's a play everyone in the league knows the Broncos are going to run. Bmarsh is a helluva player but he's not a bubble screen guy. If McD insists on doing a bubble screen, throw it to Royal.

Bubble screens are fine when the defense isn't expecting it. Right now, defenses just key on that crap which is why they have lost their effectiveness.

dbfan21
12-29-2009, 07:10 AM
Royal is much more elusive than Marshall. But Marshall can be so tough to bring down when he gets moving. Either way, the bubble screen is over-utilized. I wonder if a play can be designed (and effective) to be a fake bubble screen, but then send a WR on a deep post or fly route.