PDA

View Full Version : Nick Foles in 2011

Pontius Pirate
12-28-2009, 02:06 PM
Not sure if many people know of this Foles kid. He's a sophomore QB at Arizona. 6'5, amazing arm, great poise, etc. He's coming back for his Junior year after the Holiday Bowl. I think he has the chops for a round 3-5 pick next year. If Orton comes back for another year, I say don't waste a QB pick this year - wait for Foles in 2011. I liked this nugget from an article today:

"Growing up in Austin, Texas, he wrote an essay about Elway and went to games at Westlake High, where current New Orleans Saints quarterback Drew Brees was winning games for the Chaparrals. Ten years later, Foles broke Brees’ school records for career passing yardage and touchdown passes."

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2009/dec/28/foles-has-head-and-hair-quarterbacking/

Bronco LB52
12-28-2009, 02:11 PM
"Sunshine" from Remember the Titans
http://tucsoncitizen.com/wildcatreport/files/2009/11/Nick-Foles-TC1-253x300.jpg

RunSilentRunDeep
12-28-2009, 02:39 PM

Doesn't look like a rocket scientist.

WolfpackGuy
12-28-2009, 02:51 PM
Great, they'll replace Uncle Rico with Napoleon Dynamite.

Awesome!

Archer81
12-28-2009, 02:52 PM
I didnt know the Hansons had a brother who played football.

:Broncos:

Pony Boy
12-28-2009, 02:53 PM
Here's your sunshine.... I want this guy.

Archer81
12-28-2009, 02:55 PM
Here's your sunshine.... I want this guy.

Nah...he'd never work out here.

Ha!

:Broncos:

philiptr2
12-28-2009, 02:57 PM

He kind of looks like the Birdman...
http://www.portroids.com/Y2/Chris%20Andersen.jpg

elsid13
12-28-2009, 03:00 PM
Foles is going to be very hot name when comes to the draft. Think a solid 2nd rounder. He has very quick release and great timing. His arm is above average and good mobility. The PAC-10 is going very good for next couple of years when comes to QBs.

ZONA
12-30-2009, 01:54 AM
I've seen Foles play several times this year and he's a damn good QB. I'm pretty sure AZ is bringing back alot of their top talent next year and they should win a few more of those heart breaking types of games they lost this year. He beat up on Oregon pretty good and very well could be playing in the Rose Bowl if not for a miracle finish by the Ducks. I don't think this guy will last past the middle to late 1st round in 2011.

Nice stats for a soph and won some big games (like @USC) and really lit up the Ducks too.

Comp Att Yds % TPA Long TD Int Sack Rating
251 380 2438 66.1 6.42 71 19 8 9 132.24

http://image3.examiner.com/images/blog/EXID7570/images/resized_Nick_Foles.jpg

bpc
12-30-2009, 01:58 AM
I got the Arizona/Nebraska game DVR'd so I don't miss it. Should be very solid. Go Wildcats.

BTW, Elway would get run out of this town now with some of these fickle fans.

"YOU ONLY COMPLETED 55% OF YOUR PASSES AND THREW 23 INTERCEPTIONS IN YOUR THIRD SEASON? YOU SUCK!!!! WE WANT A STIFF IMMOBILE QB LIKE STEVE DEBERG TO COME BACK AND TAKE THE REIGNS!!!"

ZONA
12-30-2009, 02:05 AM
A great article on Foles. He loved Elway as he was growing up.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2009/dec/28/foles-has-head-and-hair-quarterbacking/

Arizona quarterback Nick Foles has a shaggy mop of a hairdo that sticks out from underneath his helmet.

“What’s the deal with the haircut?” a reporter recently asked him.

“It’s just something I’ve done since eighth grade,” said Foles, whose team faces Nebraska Wednesday in the Pacific Life Holiday Bowl. “When I grew up, my favorite quarterback was John Elway. So that’s when I started growing out my hair, and I’ve always kept it that way.”

Foles, 20, is a quarterback nerd like that. He’s been playing the position since second grade. He emulates the greats, right down to the hairstyle. Growing up in Austin, Texas, he wrote an essay about Elway and went to games at Westlake High, where current New Orleans Saints quarterback Drew Brees was winning games for the Chaparrals. Ten years later, Foles broke Brees’ school records for career passing yardage and touchdown passes.

After moving on to college, he’s since added another trait in common with Elway: Pac-10 Conference starting quarterback. Foles has led a revival of the Arizona offense since being inserted as the starter in the fourth game of the season. That’s when the 6-foot-5 sophomore completed 25-of-34 passes for 254 yards and three touchdowns in a 37-32 win against Oregon State. The Wildcats (8-4) are 6-3 with Foles as starter, with all of his losses coming by eight or fewer points.

“He’s one of those guys who loves being a quarterback, loves leading the team,” said Sonny Dykes, Arizona’s offensive coordinator. “He relishes that role and those are his strengths: his ability to grind it out and find a way to get things done.”

Foles found a way with the No. 22 Wildcats despite starting his college career at Michigan State in 2007, then starting the 2009 season as a backup in Tucson. Now he needs to find a way against perhaps the most dominant player in college football: Nebraska defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh, who rang up 4.5 sacks in his last game and might be the No. 1 pick in the NFL Draft next year.

It’s the kind of test he likes. That’s because playing quarterback against great players “is something I’ve always wanted to do,” Foles said.

He’s getting the chance now after three years of searching for it.

In high school, he originally committed to play for Arizona State but changed his mind when the coaching staff got fired there in late 2006.

During the recruiting process, he grew close to Michigan State head coach Mark Dantonio and decided to join him as a freshman in 2007. But then he didn’t like it there and wasn’t crazy about the weather in East Lansing. Mich., where he said “it’s dark four months of the year.” Dykes, who previously coached at Texas Tech, knew about him in high school and helped bring him into Tucson when he decided to leave MSU.

Foles then sat out last year under NCAA transfer rules, but it still took a while after that for Arizona coaches to realize what they had.

“He wasn’t a great practice player,” Dykes said. “He’s one of those guys who looks OK in practice, but every time he got into a scrimmage or game situation, he just seemed to play a little bit better. So we got him chances early in the season, and he did a good job of performing. We made the change and he’s continued to get better and better.”

The change was made after Arizona lost at Iowa on Sept. 19, 27-17. Sophomore starting quarterback Matt Scott, the player who beat out Foles for the job in the preseason, completed just 4-of-14 passes for 50 yards in that game with one interception. Foles replaced Scott late in the game and threw a 10-yard touchdown pass in the fourth quarter to account for the final score. A few days later, Arizona head coach Mike Stoops said Foles would be the team’s new starter “to see if we can get a different flow to our offense.”

It’s worked, thanks to Foles, his blockers and a balanced strategy. Arizona has allowed only 11 sacks this season, ranking 10th nationally and giving Foles room to operate a mixed attack that belies the Texas Tech background of Dykes and three other Arizona offensive assistant coaches. Whereas Texas Tech throws the ball about 70 percent of the time, Arizona has thrown the ball 52 percent of the time. The Wildcats have 19 touchdowns on the ground and 20 by air (19 by Foles). “It gives us versatility,” Stoops said.

It helps the cause too when there’s a “gamer” behind center, as Foles is described by Dykes. Foles has completed 66 percent of his 380 passes for 2,437 yards with eight interceptions.

“I know a lot of people in that area in Westlake area, and I talked to a lot of coaches and people who grew up around that program and watched him play,” Dykes said. “They all said the same things. They said you just want this guy on your team, and you want him with the ball in your hands when the chips are on the line.”

dsmoot
12-30-2009, 08:36 AM
I got the Arizona/Nebraska game DVR'd so I don't miss it. Should be very solid. Go Wildcats.

"YOU ONLY COMPLETED 55% OF YOUR PASSES AND THREW 23 INTERCEPTIONS IN YOUR THIRD SEASON? YOU SUCK!!!! WE WANT A STIFF IMMOBILE QB LIKE STEVE DEBERG TO COME BACK AND TAKE THE REIGNS!!!"

You bring up a great observation. The fans in 1983 were significantly more forgiving than those today. The Elway complaining during his first three years would be off the charts today. He probably would have not have reported to camp and demanded a trade to the Raiders.

Kaylore
12-30-2009, 08:45 AM

Someone who uses terms like "Bra" and "Broseff."

Kaylore
12-30-2009, 08:47 AM

Fickle fans? That's hilarious coming from you. You're bitter that a non-Broncos QB is being treated worse than the current one and you think the fan base is fickle. And then you pile on Orton...

That's just awesome.

Bronco Yoda
12-30-2009, 08:53 AM
He kind of looks like the Birdman...
http://www.portroids.com/Y2/Chris%20Andersen.jpg

good one :thumbsup:

bowtown
12-30-2009, 08:59 AM

Funny, I don't recall the fickle fans running anyone out of town. I do recall a whiney QB selling his house, not returning phone calls to the man who made him rich, and then quitting on and insulting the fickle fans who wholeheartedly supported him his first 3 years here.

You are really starting to become a parody of yourself.

Beantown Bronco
12-30-2009, 09:36 AM
Funny, I don't recall the fickle fans running anyone out of town. I do recall a whiney QB selling his house, not returning phone calls to the man who made him rich, and then quitting on and insulting the fickle fans who wholeheartedly supported him his first 3 years here.

You are really starting to become a parody of yourself.

And then had his dad hand in his playbook.

Mr.Meanie
12-30-2009, 09:40 AM

lol

Broncobiv
12-30-2009, 08:45 PM
Well, Foles hasn't looked very good tonight. But that's not totally his fault. The entire Cats team...offense, defense, and special teams, is getting dominated.

As an Arizona alum/fan, I've watched a good bit of Foles this year. It seems to me that one of his main problems is locking onto one receiver and starting him down before the throw. But I assume that's something that can be coached later on, since he's only started for about 3/4 of a season so far in his career.

bpc
12-30-2009, 09:47 PM
You can't argue the facts. Elway would get lamb-basted in today's football game by our fans. Those that decline are hypocrites. John would have been labeled as a whiner from his failure to accept going to the Colts, other would claim that he was never a winner in college, etc, etc. Cutler threw 18 INT's his 2nd full year starting while making the pro bowl and 2/3's of the fans on this board now hate him. All that while dealing with no consistent starter at HB and a defense that was ranked 32nd in the league, yet he still had a positive TD to INT ratio.

I can't explain the thoughts of this fan base, only compare scenarios. The fan base currently, would have turned on Elway, just like they did with Cutler. They would have called him petulant because he didn't like people following his every move and would say he gave out poor choices of candy for halloween.

Factor in that the media and talk show pressure is 10 fold what it was when John was QB... yes, they would have tried to run him off and labeled him a bust if John was playing for Denver today and threw 23 INT's. Just listen to some of you talk about Jay this year and he's throw 26 INT's. 23, 26, both numbers are horrible and that's the hall-mark card for you calling him out.

It's laughable. Go on though, deflect and punch holes in the thought.

elsid13
12-30-2009, 09:51 PM
Foles and Arizona looked really bad tonight. Worse I have seen them play. Nebraska defense came to play and they really dictated the flow of the game. I am surprised. Foles will bounce back and be a better player for this lose.

ZONA
12-30-2009, 10:13 PM
Well, Foles hasn't looked very good tonight. But that's not totally his fault. The entire Cats team...offense, defense, and special teams, is getting dominated.

As an Arizona alum/fan, I've watched a good bit of Foles this year. It seems to me that one of his main problems is locking onto one receiver and starting him down before the throw. But I assume that's something that can be coached later on, since he's only started for about 3/4 of a season so far in his career.

In all reality, many young QB's do that. As you say, it's one of the things you learn not to do as you become a more mature and experienced QB. Even some of the NFL QB's still do that quite often. I think they will have a great year next year with him getting all the offseason work and taking all the starting snaps in training camp and what not.

bpc
12-30-2009, 10:16 PM
He's young. I assume AZ doesn't have near the talent Nebraska does either.

He'll be fine.

elsid13
12-31-2009, 06:05 AM
He's young. I assume AZ doesn't have near the talent Nebraska does either.

He'll be fine.

It does in many place. This UA team handle USC, and had Oregon beat. IT was bad game.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
12-31-2009, 06:19 AM

Riiiiiiiight. I forgot how Cutler was begging to stay and play here. Boy, is our face red.

Christ. Let it GO.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
12-31-2009, 06:22 AM
You can't argue the facts. Elway would get lamb-basted in today's football game by our fans. Those that decline are hypocrites. John would have been labeled as a whiner from his failure to accept going to the Colts, other would claim that he was never a winner in college, etc, etc. Cutler threw 18 INT's his 2nd full year starting while making the pro bowl and 2/3's of the fans on this board now hate him. All that while dealing with no consistent starter at HB and a defense that was ranked 32nd in the league, yet he still had a positive TD to INT ratio.

I can't explain the thoughts of this fan base, only compare scenarios. The fan base currently, would have turned on Elway, just like they did with Cutler. They would have called him petulant because he didn't like people following his every move and would say he gave out poor choices of candy for halloween.

Factor in that the media and talk show pressure is 10 fold what it was when John was QB... yes, they would have tried to run him off and labeled him a bust if John was playing for Denver today and threw 23 INT's. Just listen to some of you talk about Jay this year and he's throw 26 INT's. 23, 26, both numbers are horrible and that's the hall-mark card for you calling him out.

Wrong. Completely wrong.

Did elway pout? No. Did he demand his way out of Denver? No.

Oh, and for the record, Mr. Revisionist History, folks in Baltimore STILL hate Elway for shunning them because of Kush.

Of course, that would invalidate your whole "It's wrong to be mean to Jayyyyyyyyy! He's such a good guyyyyyyyyyyyy! You guys don't seeeeeeeeeeeee it?" argument.

watermock
12-31-2009, 06:53 AM
Laughable.

STFU.

Foles folded.

Zero points.

Nebraska has a good D tho. Still.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
12-31-2009, 06:58 AM
Laughable.

STFU.

Foles folded.

Zero points.

Nebraska has a good D tho. Still.

He's also only a sophomore. Going against one of the best D's in the country. I'm not willing to anoint him anything, all-pro or bust, just yet.

Tombstone RJ
12-31-2009, 07:04 AM
I watched a lot of the Nebraska/AZ game and Nick didn't look good. Nebraska shut down the AZ's running game and Nick was forced to pass. Either all his receives suck or he couldn't find a WR anywhere. I mean, Nebraska completely shut AZ down.

He's not very mobil either.

He's big, that's about it.

watermock
12-31-2009, 07:11 AM
Ya know, if we had just gone of big hairs board, our draft would of been pretty good.

watermock
12-31-2009, 07:16 AM
Texas isn't dominant.

Saban kicked Urbans ass so bad he limpeed back to mommy...HA!

So much for Mock's #1 choice for coach.

Nick is king now, and will be for many years.

ColoradoDarin
12-31-2009, 07:33 AM

So why do you hate Orton then?

You could keep complaining about about a guy who has 63% with 20 TDs and only 9 Ints??

By any measure, Orton is having at least a good of a season as the QB traded for him and yet you keep trashing the guy with BRONCOS on his chest while pining for the guy who said you were a "6" of a fan.

Look in the mirror a bit.

oubronco
12-31-2009, 07:55 AM
If Orton was throwing the ball farther than 2-5 yds he wouldn't have that high of a completion percentage his stats are exagerated

TheElusiveKyleOrton
12-31-2009, 08:00 AM
If Orton was throwing the ball farther than 2-5 yds he wouldn't have that high of a completion percentage his stats are exagerated

Oh come on, OU. Not even you believe what you just wrote there.

oubronco
12-31-2009, 08:14 AM
Oh come on, OU. Not even you believe what you just wrote there.

and why is that? I believe people get to caught up with stats. So say Orton was throwing the ball all over the field do you think he would have 65% completion percentage?

TheElusiveKyleOrton
12-31-2009, 08:17 AM
and why is that? I believe people get to caught up with stats. So say Orton was throwing the ball all over the field do you think he would have 65% completion percentage?

Every pass is not 2-5 yards. That's simply retarded.

Yes, there are a lot of bubble screens. There are a lot of crosses and slants as well, and he's quite effective between 10-13 yards as well.

While it's not "all over the field," that's not what he's being asked to do. I'm not sure why this is so baffling for folks.

The idea is high-percentage passing. That's it. That's the game. Take shots when you can, but most plays are high completion percentage plays. he's doing exactly what he's asked, and performing well.

oubronco
12-31-2009, 08:25 AM
Every pass is not 2-5 yards. That's simply retarded.

Yes, there are a lot of bubble screens. There are a lot of crosses and slants as well, and he's quite effective between 10-13 yards as well.

While it's not "all over the field," that's not what he's being asked to do. I'm not sure why this is so baffling for folks.

The idea is high-percentage passing. That's it. That's the game. Take shots when you can, but most plays are high completion percentage plays. he's doing exactly what he's asked, and performing well.

I get it. It's the playcalling if what they are doing isn't working, and it hasn't been for awhile, then why not open it up and throw some more of the 10-15 yd stuff?

I just think saying a guy's completion percentage is high when alot of the stuff we do is real short doesn't tell the whole story

Bronco Boy
12-31-2009, 08:37 AM
This thread went downhill fast.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
12-31-2009, 08:37 AM
I get it. It's the playcalling if what they are doing isn't working, and it hasn't been for awhile, then why not open it up and throw some more of the 10-15 yd stuff?

I just think saying a guy's completion percentage is high when alot of the stuff we do is real short doesn't tell the whole story

Because, once again, the problems this team has compliment each other. Such as our o-line giving up sacks to three and four man rushes. I'd love to see them go downfield as much as you would, and I'd love to see Orton improve his timing. I'd also like to win every game and have a black ferrari in my driveway. But you can't always get what you want, and the reality of the situation is that there are several problems with this team, a team that was rotten to the core last year and needed a nearly complete revamp. Wasn't going to happen in one off season.

Orton doesn't exist in a vacuum and no problem is solely his. To blame just Orton or JUST playcalling or JUST the line is short-sighted and wrong.

But of course, we're way the **** off topic, so whatever.

oubronco
12-31-2009, 08:39 AM
Because, once again, the problems this team has compliment each other. Such as our o-line giving up sacks to three and four man rushes. I'd love to see them go downfield as much as you would, and I'd love to see Orton improve his timing. I'd also like to win every game and have a black ferrari in my driveway. But you can't always get what you want, and the reality of the situation is that there are several problems with this team, a team that was rotten to the core last year and needed a nearly complete revamp. Wasn't going to happen in one off season.

Orton doesn't exist in a vacuum and no problem is solely his. To blame just Orton or JUST playcalling or JUST the line is short-sighted and wrong.

But of course, we're way the **** off topic, so whatever.

Yea I was thinking the same thing :~ohyah!:

Mr.Meanie
12-31-2009, 09:32 AM

What the hell are you talking about? The fanbase turned on Cutler after he demanded a trade and was no longer a Bronco. Because they're, you know, Broncos fans...

ColoradoDarin
12-31-2009, 09:36 AM
What the hell are you talking about? The fanbase turned on Cutler after he demanded a trade and was no longer a Bronco. Because they're, you know, Broncos fans...

Shhhhhh, you're going to let out the secret that we're just rooting for the Broncos QB now, even if he has a few limitations. Who knew that Bronco fans rooted for Bronco players???

watermock
12-31-2009, 09:42 AM
a team that was rotten to the core last year and needed a nearly complete revamp. Wasn't going to happen in one off season.

AT RB and most f the D. Noone denied that.

Thofene was 2nd in the NFL in yards, it was close, if it had a franchise back, or if the D could produce even SOME turnovers.

watermock
12-31-2009, 09:47 AM
Cutler never called for a trade untill the event arose.

BTW, he played or less than Oron or Simms.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
12-31-2009, 09:48 AM
AT RB and most f the D. Noone denied that.

Thofene was 2nd in the NFL in yards, it was close, if it had a franchise back, or if the D could produce even SOME turnovers.

You're a cartoon character, aren't you? Just admit it.

I can't even read most of what you write. Just nonsense. Ugh.

Look, the offense was second in YARDS. Where were they in scoring? Do we really have to continue to beat this dead horse? The poor thing's suffered enough. We couldn't score. Marshall now has WAY more TDs than he did last season, and that's not an accident.

It's a new system, with new players on both sides. I'm not really going to fret about it because the future is bright.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
12-31-2009, 09:49 AM
Cutler never called for a trade untill the event arose.

BTW, he played or less than Oron or Simms.

Never good to drink heavily this early. Criminy.

watermock
12-31-2009, 09:55 AM
Cutler was paid 600k moron.

oubronco
12-31-2009, 10:57 AM
Mock what do you do for a living, just curious

TheElusiveKyleOrton
12-31-2009, 11:02 AM
Don't ask that question.

He body surfs, naked, through the most treacherous of waters, carrying only a knife under his ballsack.

oubronco
12-31-2009, 11:06 AM
Oh good God

TheElusiveKyleOrton
12-31-2009, 11:07 AM
Oh good God

Told you that you didn't want to know.

Frankly, I think mock is this guy:

http://www.jroller.com/MasterMark/resource/_21477BP~Looney-Tunes-Wile-E-Coyote-Posters2.jpg

Hamrob
12-31-2009, 11:14 AM

"YOU ONLY COMPLETED 55% OF YOUR PASSES AND THREW 23 INTERCEPTIONS IN YOUR THIRD SEASON? YOU SUCK!!!! WE WANT A STIFF IMMOBILE QB LIKE STEVE DEBERG TO COME BACK AND TAKE THE REIGNS!!!"Actually, there were plenty who wanted to run Elway out of town. But you know what, nobody could say that Elway couldn't make all of the throws and wasn't one hell of a athelete.

I wish we could say the same about our current QB!

HEAV
12-31-2009, 11:40 AM

6 of 20 for 28 yards and an interception

We have a QB, just need to build a better line around him and get one more playmaker at WR.

Broncobiv
01-01-2010, 04:08 PM
6 of 20 for 28 yards and an interception

We have a QB, just need to build a better line around him and get one more playmaker at WR.

Yes, like I said, the entire team got dominated. Offense, defense, special teams, AND coaching (which I neglected to mention in my first post)! Foles looked like crap, but it's unfair to judge his potential off of one game in which the entire team was flat-out destroyed in every way imaginable.

And which team are you talking about that needs a better O-line and another playmaker at WR? U of A or Denver? Because last time I checked, the Broncos have one of the finest O-lines in the NFL. And Royal is the "one more playmaker" at WR, but in the offense we've been running this year, he clearly hasn't been utilized to the potential he showed in his rookie season (plus he's been injured for a few games this year).

Arkie
01-01-2010, 04:55 PM

now he does.

http://wildcatsportsreport.com/images/stories/FootballFeatures/OreFolesPresser.jpg

Cool Breeze
01-01-2010, 05:28 PM
Yes, like I said, the entire team got dominated. Offense, defense, special teams, AND coaching (which I neglected to mention in my first post)! Foles looked like crap, but it's unfair to judge his potential off of one game in which the entire team was flat-out destroyed in every way imaginable.

And which team are you talking about that needs a better O-line and another playmaker at WR? U of A or Denver? Because last time I checked, the Broncos have one of the finest O-lines in the NFL. And Royal is the "one more playmaker" at WR, but in the offense we've been running this year, he clearly hasn't been utilized to the potential he showed in his rookie season (plus he's been injured for a few games this year).

Things have changed since Heav wrote his post.

Center and Left guard will change this offseason. Right Tackle has durability issues.
We may need a #1 and a #2 WR as Royal may be best at slot. The current #3 is a bit long in the tooth - 1 more year maybe?