PDA

View Full Version : You let McNabb run for it on 3rd & 25?!?

Bronco Rob
12-27-2009, 05:31 PM
27 yards.....

Really? Really!

ugh.......

KevinJames
12-27-2009, 05:31 PM
doesn't matter they punted on that drive.

we got royally screwed by the refs

Vegas_Bronco
12-27-2009, 05:32 PM
He only needed 25 and they gave him 27....fail.

BigPlayShay
12-27-2009, 05:37 PM
doesn't matter they punted on that drive.

we got royally screwed by the refs

It totally matters in terms of field position.

WABronco
12-27-2009, 05:41 PM
Well if he doesnt run his fat ass for the first we get the ball much close to mid...meaning when we inevitably **** up and have to punt we aren't giving them prime FG position with ~2 minutes left.

I think DJ Williams will start crying or slit his arms like that crazy guy in The Abyss when he watches the film of that chunky soup eatin' lard ball outrunning him.

bloodsunday
12-27-2009, 05:43 PM
without a doubt the most disappointing play of the game. They didn't get points on that drive, but it changed field position dramatically.

MplsBronco
12-27-2009, 05:45 PM
It proved to be the game. They gained 9 more yards after and field position was huge the second half, considering berger was god awful. They get possesion in our territory to start the final drive as a result. To say it doesn't matter is just ridiculous.

Orange4Life
12-27-2009, 05:46 PM

This. That play was huge in the end result. When he took off I was actually happy I didn't think he had a chance in hell of getting it

Bronx33
12-27-2009, 05:48 PM
Not much one could have done about it obviously mcnabb didn't have a reciever so that says ( we had good coverage) end result is ( we can't cover everybody) nuff said.

Momentum
12-27-2009, 05:49 PM
It was an all time play by an all time player.

The D did their job and got them off the field that drive. The refs stole it.

MABroncoFan
12-27-2009, 07:21 PM
That was the turning point in the game ... causing us to get the ball inside our own 10 after a punt instead of at least our own 35 or 40.

Broncoman13
12-27-2009, 07:28 PM
It proved to be the game. They gained 9 more yards after and field position was huge the second half, considering berger was god awful. They get possesion in our territory to start the final drive as a result. To say it doesn't matter is just ridiculous.

Berger did what he had to to limit DeSean Jackson's killer returns. I'm not gonna harp on him for keeping Jackson in check.

It was painful watching DJ take a terrible angle going after Chunky. But in DJ's defense, he was running the other direction trying to keep the TE from making another back breaking play. It was a tough play, but a play I expect our highest paid LB to make.

Broncoman13
12-27-2009, 07:28 PM
It was an all time play by an all time player.

The D did their job and got them off the field that drive. The refs stole it.

When did the refs steal it again?

Kid A
12-27-2009, 07:30 PM
Key, key play. DJ Williams blew the angle terribly.

elsid13
12-27-2009, 07:33 PM
McNabb made a play, and remember he gets paid too.

We wouldn't have a problem if the team had converted on 3rd down before that drive or put some puts some points up with the great starting positions that the defense had given us the entire second half.

UberBroncoMan
12-27-2009, 07:35 PM
We should have blitzed. It wouldn't have allowed a play to develop. Instead we did a 4 man rush, our DB's had to go back to cover and that left all that room for McNabb to own us with a run.

We asked for it with the playcall.

DenverBrit
12-27-2009, 08:05 PM

Absolutely. McNabb's scramble changed the field position at a critical time.

KipCorrington25
12-27-2009, 08:30 PM
Seeing DJ Williams get dusted like that was pathetic, makes me question that guy big time.

colonelbeef
12-27-2009, 08:31 PM
Play of the game. Can't believe they dropped so many back, just a little bit of pressure would have done the job.

bronco militia
12-27-2009, 08:32 PM
the broncos offense lost this game.....

FantomForce
12-27-2009, 08:34 PM
That is when I literlally threw up in my Sunday dinner

colonelbeef
12-27-2009, 08:36 PM

agreed.

DBroncos4life
12-27-2009, 08:42 PM
It sure did flip the field. McNabb is one of the best running QB's of all-time. He has rushed for 204 first downs in his career.

hambone13
12-27-2009, 08:45 PM
No if's, ands or buts

Beantown Bronco
12-27-2009, 08:49 PM
We should have blitzed. It wouldn't have allowed a play to develop. Instead we did a 4 man rush, our DB's had to go back to cover and that left all that room for McNabb to own us with a run.

We asked for it with the playcall.

3rd and 25 and you want them to call a blitz? That's the absolute last thing you do in that situation.

Beantown Bronco
12-27-2009, 08:52 PM

No if's, ands or buts

Ummmm, the same offense that put up 27 pts?

You're both right. The defense giving up over 300 yds passing, over 100 yds rushing and 3 TDs looked all world out there.

Popps
12-27-2009, 11:38 PM

You're both right. The defense giving up over 300 yds passing, over 100 yds rushing and 3 TDs looked all world out there.

Yea, I love the defense we're building, but it's fair to say that they had chances to save the game a couple weeks in a row and didn't get it done. (Last week being worse than this week.)

That said, if not for a big defensive effort, we would have never come back today, or in the Colts game to even have a shot.

Our D is stout and improving. They just need to learn to close. I think we're a player or two away from having that Ravens/Steelers-like ability to shut down a team when you have a lead.

2KBack
12-28-2009, 01:18 AM

This is just silly. 27 points is 7 more than Philly gives up on average. Hell they've only given up that many in 3 games this season. Plus the offense had nothing to do with the 400+ yards of offense by the Eagles and 30 points.

Oh wait, maybe it was the offense that forgot that TE's are allowed to catch passes in football.

Taco John
12-28-2009, 01:50 AM

The reason I agree with this, despite the amount of points put on the board, is because to win this game the Broncos needed to control the scoring tempo through their offesne. They didn't do that. They seemed to only get into the game when it was looking out of reach - and after the defense spotted them field position.

The Broncos needed to play 60 minutes to win this game. Offense came out flat. And our running game was pathetic for what we needed. Our running game is what cost us more than anything.

jmz313
12-28-2009, 06:25 AM
McD needs to call a better game when losing the the battle in the trenches (on O). This loss, as well as the raiders loss and IMO the colts loss are all on him. I can say the same for the Pitt Loss too. His Playcalling doesn't always seem to be favorable for the personel on the field and what teh opposing D tendency. It's like hes always expecting to be one play ahead of the opposing D. When in fact he's not.

vancejohnson82
12-28-2009, 06:34 AM
the problem is that we only open up the offense when we get down double digits....

The Joker
12-28-2009, 06:58 AM
the problem is that we only open up the offense when we get down double digits....

I'd agree with this, we get much too conservative when the score gets close.

Orton was making plays when they took the leash off him a bit, once we got within 3 we reverted back to the same style that was getting us nowhere early in the game.

Our running game is absolutely pitiful though, it really is.

misturanderson
12-28-2009, 07:37 AM
The whole team sucked in the first half. Offense and defense. McNabb was on pace for 400+yards and 6 TDs when the first half ended and we were on pace for 200 yards and 14 points.

Both sides of the ball then got their heads in the game.

You guys putting this solely on the offense must have forgotten that the offense doesn't always have to carry a team to victory. Just because that's what had to happen under Shanny the last 3 years doesn't mean that it's what has to happen with other, GOOD teams.

elsid13
12-28-2009, 07:41 AM
The whole team sucked in the first half. Offense and defense. McNabb was on pace for 400+yards and 6 TDs when the first half ended and we were on pace for 200 yards and 14 points.

Both sides of the ball then got their heads in the game.

You guys putting this solely on the offense must have forgotten that the offense doesn't always have to carry a team to victory. Just because that's what had to happen under Shanny the last 3 years doesn't mean that it's what has to happen with other, GOOD teams.

The defense did what it needed to in the second half to let Denver win that game. They gave offense great starting position 4 times from about midfield and the offense came away with 3 points. At some point the offense needs to make a play to keep a drive going to win that game and in the fourth qtr it didn't do anything.

bronco militia
12-28-2009, 07:48 AM

so you are satified with the offense..I am not.

it's one of the worst offensive units in football.

Beantown Bronco
12-28-2009, 07:55 AM
so you are satified with the offense..I am not.

it's one of the worst offensive units in football.

Nowhere did I say that. Nowhere.

I was solely responding to the previous post that stated that a great defense was needed yesterday to win. A great defense was not needed for the win yesterday. Just a good one.

bronco militia
12-28-2009, 07:58 AM
Nowhere did I say that. Nowhere.

I was solely responding to the previous post that stated that a great defense was needed yesterday to win. A great defense was not needed for the win yesterday. Just a good one.

we had a good enough defense to hand the ball back over to the offense 4 more times after getting within 3 points.

4 drives, 3 points, game over.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/gamecenter/playbyplay/NFL_20091227_DEN@PHI

2KBack
12-28-2009, 10:41 AM

this I agree with. McD plays way to conservative sometimes.

rmsanger
12-28-2009, 11:38 AM
3rd and 25 and you want them to call a blitz? That's the absolute last thing you do in that situation.

X2

Please go back and watch the play again guys. It was 3rd and 25 and we rushed 4. Not only that but we stunted (I think, could have been outside) the two inside rushers which slowed the pash rush down even further.

Philly ran a flood route which took all of the man coverage to the deep right corners.

The slow pash rush combined with the deep routes left Donovan plenty of time to let the open lane develop. He must have seen it the moment Denver rushed 4 on that sloppy stunt, he knew it was wide open before he completed his 5 step drop.

If we rush 3 and leave a man to contain or protect the flats then we probably win this game!

This was a defensive play calling fial from Nolan, straight up!

go_broncos
12-28-2009, 11:42 AM
X2

Please go back and watch the play again guys. It was 3rd and 25 and we rushed 4. Not only that but we stunted (I think, could have been outside) the two inside rushers which slowed the pash rush down even further.

Philly ran a flood route which took all of the man coverage to the deep right corners.

The slow pash rush combined with the deep routes left Donovan plenty of time to let the open lane develop. He must have seen it the moment Denver rushed 4 on that sloppy stunt, he knew it was wide open before he completed his 5 step drop.

If we rush 3 and leave a man to contain or protect the flats then we probably win this game!

This was a defensive play calling fial from Nolan, straight up!

It reminded me of a game where philly converted 4th and 23(i think) against Packers.

Even if we get the ball in midfield, i don't trust this offense.

We got plenty of opportunities(i believe in mid field) and yet we scored only 3 points.

Beantown Bronco
12-28-2009, 11:44 AM
We got plenty of opportunities(i believe in mid field) and yet we scored only 3 points.

If we ignore the 2 second half TD drives.

rmsanger
12-28-2009, 11:46 AM
It reminded me of a game where philly converted 4th and 23(i think) against Packers.

Even if we get the ball in midfield, i don't trust this offense.

Ok you could be correct... But even a 3 n Out from midfield still would pin Philly back behind their 20. They would have had 1:30 and 2 timeouts to go 60 yards. I think our D could have had a much better opportunity stopping that. At least make Akers have to kick a 50 yarder.

go_broncos
12-28-2009, 11:48 AM
If we ignore the 2 second half TD drives.

Please tell me where the drives started..

I am talking about the drives that started at Midfield.

If is another playoff team, i bet they would have scored more points.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
12-28-2009, 11:48 AM
27 yards.....

Really? Really!

ugh.......

I DID??????????

God, I'm an asshole.

go_broncos
12-28-2009, 11:52 AM
Ok you could be correct... But even a 3 n Out from midfield still would pin Philly back behind their 20. They would have had 1:30 and 2 timeouts to go 60 yards. I think our D could have had a much better opportunity stopping that. At least make Akers have to kick a 50 yarder.

I was screaming when Mcnabb ran and converted.
What i am saying is that we got plenty of opportunities on offense that we couldn't convert.

The same thing happened in OAK game..we scored FG's instead of TD's.

I am still pissed with Mcd's playcalling and how our offense couldn't score in RZ.
I just hope we trash KC and with some luck(which we are lacking since Elway retired), we reach playoff's.

misturanderson
12-28-2009, 11:55 AM
The defense did what it needed to in the second half to let Denver win that game. They gave offense great starting position 4 times from about midfield and the offense came away with 3 points. At some point the offense needs to make a play to keep a drive going to win that game and in the fourth qtr it didn't do anything.

The offense also did what it needed to in the 2nd half by tying the game with under 5 minutes to go. The defense got them the ball back in bad field position and the refs made sure we didn't do anything from there.

Once again, both units played like **** in the first half and both units played like a playoff team in the second. It was just too little, too late. Especially given the one-sidedness of the officiating.

Beantown Bronco
12-28-2009, 11:56 AM
Please tell me where the drives started..

I am talking about the drives that started at Midfield.

If is another playoff team, i bet they would have scored more points.

You still have to execute and punch it in. You know how many drives in this league start deep in opposition territory that end up going for field goals or no points?

Fact: we scored 7 more points than the Eagles give up on average. And we did it on the road. Could they have scored more? Sure, they could've. Technically, unless you score on every drive, you can always score more. Sadly, it doesn't ever happen.

bloodsunday
12-28-2009, 06:42 PM
this I agree with. McD plays way to conservative sometimes.

You play to the odds and hope your players execute.

KipCorrington25
12-28-2009, 06:49 PM
We scored a couple TD's on a short field after Phila was letting up... so let's break out the champagne!

PaintballCLE
12-29-2009, 08:02 AM

when you score 27, you should win.

Rock Chalk
12-29-2009, 08:36 AM
The reason I agree with this, despite the amount of points put on the board, is because to win this game the Broncos needed to control the scoring tempo through their offesne. They didn't do that. They seemed to only get into the game when it was looking out of reach - and after the defense spotted them field position.

The Broncos needed to play 60 minutes to win this game. Offense came out flat. And our running game was pathetic for what we needed. Our running game is what cost us more than anything.

You know, what you say is true HOWEVER the defense also came out flat. They gave up 245 FIRST HALF passing yards. I dont care what the offense is doing, when you give up THAT MUCH first half passing yards, you didn't play well.

Both sides of the ball have to play for 60 minutes and play well. You cant put this ALL on the offense, just as you cant put this ALL on the defense. Both sides screwed up and both sides did good things but the Eagles just did more to win the game.

Circle Orange
12-29-2009, 11:57 AM
Letting McNabb run like that was ridiculous, considering his 'stiff hip' running style since those surgeries. It's almost like everyone had their back to the play until he was twelve yards upfield.