PDA

View Full Version : We are the 5th Seed!!!!

MrPeepers
12-27-2009, 05:30 PM
According to NFL.com and KOA850

Enjoy, beat the chiefs.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8147d1c0&template=no-right-rail-with-comments&confirm=true

Go fist yourself BF7

Ratboy
12-27-2009, 05:33 PM
How is this even possible? I thought we would be on the other side looking in.

Kid A
12-27-2009, 05:33 PM
Five-way tie at 8-7 currently makes Balt's and Pitt's head to head wins against us not the deciding tiebreaker. I'm guessing that won't hold if they win next week against their AFC opponents?

KevinJames
12-27-2009, 05:34 PM
ugh except for Ravens and Steelers both have tie breakers over us.

briane
12-27-2009, 05:34 PM
I dont think its right...I dont see us and the jets over baltimore, but i guess i dont fully understand the tie-breaker system...hope its correct though..

Requiem
12-27-2009, 05:35 PM
What?

Bronco Rob
12-27-2009, 05:35 PM
<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/enSYlCEz5VI&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/enSYlCEz5VI&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

;)

NYBronco
12-27-2009, 05:36 PM
This won't make the debbie downers happy.

SonOfLe-loLang
I dont think this is true.

OrangeShadow
does division record come into play after conference record?

WABronco
Nah nah ****'s broke cous'.

Kid A
12-27-2009, 05:37 PM
Not sure it's accurate, but it is very possible. Five way tie means they probably don't use individual head-to-head tiebreakers to sort out the five way tie (remember the Big XII south mess when Texas-OU-Texas Tech had all beaten each other in different configurations, making it impossible to promote one over the other on head-to-head).

Requiem
I got this from NFL.

TO BREAK A TIE FOR THE WILD-CARD TEAM

If it is necessary to break ties to determine the two Wild-Card clubs from each conference, the following steps will be taken.

If the tied clubs are from the same division, apply division tie breaker.
If the tied clubs are from different divisions, apply the following steps.
Two Clubs

Head-to-head, if applicable.
Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.
Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games, minimum of four.
Strength of victory.
Strength of schedule.
Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.
Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed.
Best net points in conference games.
Best net points in all games.
Best net touchdowns in all games.
Coin toss.
Three or More Clubs

(Note: If two clubs remain tied after third or other clubs are eliminated, tie breaker reverts to step 1 of applicable two-club format.)

Apply division tie breaker to eliminate all but the highest ranked club in each division prior to proceeding to step 2. The original seeding within a division upon application of the division tie breaker remains the same for all subsequent applications of the procedure that are necessary to identify the two Wild-Card participants.
Head-to-head sweep. (Applicable only if one club has defeated each of the others or if one club has lost to each of the others.)
Strength of victory.
Strength of schedule.
Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.
Coin toss
When the first Wild-Card team has been identified, the procedure is repeated to name the second Wild-Card, i.e., eliminate all but the highest-ranked club in each division prior to proceeding to step 2. In situations where three or more teams from the same division are involved in the procedure, the original seeding of the teams remains the same for subsequent applications of the tie breaker if the top-ranked team in that division qualifies for a Wild-Card berth.

Gort
that's garbage. right now the Broncos are on the outside looking in. both PIT and BAL are above us. i haven't figured out where HOU and NYJ are. the tie breakers are not so tough to understand. they reward the better team. right now, BAL and PIT have the same record, but both own head to head victories over DEN.

Ratboy
12-27-2009, 05:38 PM
So there is a chance, even if we win next week, we won't get in? Or...?

KevinJames
this is false hope read the tie breaker rules......

If it is necessary to break ties to determine the two Wild-Card clubs from each conference, the following steps will be taken.

Two Clubs

Strength of victory.
Strength of schedule.
Coin toss.
Three or More Clubs

(Note: If two clubs remain tied after third or other clubs are eliminated, tie breaker reverts to step 1 of applicable two-club format.)

Apply division tie breaker to eliminate all but the highest ranked club in each division prior to proceeding to step 2. The original seeding within a division upon application of the division tie breaker remains the same for all subsequent applications of the procedure that are necessary to identify the two Wild-Card participants.
Head-to-head sweep. (Applicable only if one club has defeated each of the others or if one club has lost to each of the others.)
Strength of victory.
Strength of schedule.
Coin toss
When the first Wild-Card team has been identified, the procedure is repeated to name the second Wild-Card, i.e., eliminate all but the highest-ranked club in each division prior to proceeding to step 2. In situations where three or more teams from the same division are involved in the procedure, the original seeding of the teams remains the same for subsequent applications of the tie breaker if the top-ranked team in that division qualifies for a Wild-Card berth.

we need either Baltimore or Pittsburgh to lose next we if we beat the chiefs
and we hold tie breakers over the Jets

SonOfLe-loLang
that's garbage. right now the Broncos are on the outside looking in. both PIT and BAL are above us. i haven't figured out where HOU and NYJ are. the tie breakers are not so tough to understand. they reward the better team. right now, BAL and PIT have the same record, but both own head to head victories over DEN.

It is harder than you think. When all the teams are tied, the head to heads go out the window or something (we got screwed over on this a few years ago) I dont know how they formulate the seedings when 3-4 teams finish with the same record.

SonOfLe-loLang
12-27-2009, 05:39 PM
If the jets win, they are in.

Gort
So there is a chance, even if we win next week, we won't get in? Or...?

the broncos, losers of 7 of the past 9, do not control their destiny. even if they win, they'd need help to get in next week. right now, they are not one of the playoff teams.

Williams
This is so awesome if correct.

MplsBronco
12-27-2009, 05:41 PM
this is false hope read the tie breaker rules......

we need either Baltimore or Pittsburgh to lose next we if we beat the chiefs
and we hold tie breakers over the Jets

If Pitt and Balt win, we get in with a win and a Jets loss and a Texan win.

Dagmar
12-27-2009, 05:41 PM

It's not.

Gort
12-27-2009, 05:42 PM
It is harder than you think. When all the teams are tied, the head to heads go out the window or something (we got screwed over on this a few years ago) I dont know how they formulate the seedings when 3-4 teams finish with the same record.

that's not exactly true. i've tried to explain this on another thread. i don't know why people have such a hard time understanding it. the process works as follows...

take all WC hopefuls and apply the rules to find the #5 seed.

take all WC hopefuls (minus the #5 seed) and apply the rules to find the #6 seed.

people seem to think that if a team gets eliminated from consideration for the #5 seed that they are also out of consideration for the #6 seed. that's 100% wrong. right now there are at least 2 teams (BAL & PIT) that would qualify for WC seeds before the Broncos. not sure what the story is on NYJ yet. but it's enough to know about BAL and PIT to know that the Broncos are now out of it and need help in the final week to get back in it.

Gort
12-27-2009, 05:43 PM
If Pitt and Balt win, we get in with a win and a Jets loss and a Texan win.

not true.

Ratboy
12-27-2009, 05:43 PM
the broncos, losers of 7 of the past 9, do not control their destiny. even if they win, they'd need help to get in next week. right now, they are not one of the playoff teams.

According to NFL.com, you are incorrect.

I am confused with it too, so I am not sure.

Ambiguous
12-27-2009, 05:44 PM

It's not, sorry. I think they just left us in there, but the Ravens and Steelers have tie breakers on us.

bloodsunday
12-27-2009, 05:45 PM

Since both Pittsburgh and Baltimore are in the same division, the one with the worst division situation is eliminated BEFORE they go onto the next tie breaker. By definition, that means we only have to worry about one of them.

ColoradoBuff
12-27-2009, 05:46 PM
let's just beat the **** out of the Queefs and go from there!

Gort
12-27-2009, 05:46 PM
According to NFL.com, you are incorrect.

I am confused with it too, so I am not sure.

you're misunderstanding the how to apply the rules. for the #5 seed, you go through the rules as written. once you've chosen the #5 seed, YOU START ALL OVER AGAIN for the #6 seed. any team not chosen for the #5 seed is still in contention for the #6 seed, until eliminated by the rules during that round of consideration.

bloodsunday
12-27-2009, 05:47 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/standings/playoffrace/seeds

Denver earns the No. 5 seed over N.Y. Jets and Baltimore based on strength of victory (.513 to Jets' .492 and Ravens' .387) and conference record over Houston (6-5 to Texans 5-6).

But wouldn't strength of victory change if we play KC?

Requiem
12-27-2009, 05:48 PM
Thanks a lot BloodySunday. Now lets just kill Kansas City.

Gort
12-27-2009, 05:49 PM
Since both Pittsburgh and Baltimore are in the same division, the one with the worst division situation is eliminated BEFORE they go onto the next tie breaker. By definition, that means we only have to worry about one of them.

again, read carefully... eliminated for consideration for the #5 seed, yes. but the process starts all over again for the #6 seed. let's say PIT gets the #5 seed because they are the higher WC contender out of the AFC North. BAL is still alive for consideration for the #6 seed. if the 2 best WC teams are in the same division, then they get the WC spots. you're not penalized for being the 3rd worst team in your division if you are better than everyone else remaining.

Dagmar
12-27-2009, 05:49 PM
A post from the Ravens website.

I was just looking at this...and now I too am worried.

first of all though, you have to forget about Houston and Pittsburgh. Their conference record is one game back from us, NY and Denver so they have next to no chance. So now, we have to use the tie-breakers:

Three or More Clubs

1. Apply division tie breaker to eliminate all but the highest ranked club in each division prior to proceeding (goodbye PIT) to step 2. The original seeding within a division upon application of the division tie breaker remains the same for all subsequent applications of the procedure that are necessary to identify the two Wild-Card participants.
2. Head-to-head sweep. (Applicable only if one club has defeated each of the others or if one club has lost to each of the others) (so, we ignore this)
3. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference. (goodbye HOU)
4. Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games, minimum of four. (not applicable, because of Denver and NY both played the Pats twice, losing once)
5. Strength of victory.

This is where I'm worried. I went through the schedules and Denver is first in this regard by a mile. If New York were first, they would be 5th and then we would take 6th over Denver because we beat them.

But because Denver will take 5th if those tiebreakers are to be believed, we would then have to repeat the process with just us and NY to work out 6th...and they have the tiebreaker over us thanks to Strength of Victory.

So now I'm really scared because at no point on the NFL website does it mention our head-to-head win over Denver counting for anything. We could be out if they both win, if I applied those tiebreakers correctly.

Gort
12-27-2009, 05:50 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/standings/playoffrace/seeds

Denver earns the No. 5 seed over N.Y. Jets and Baltimore based on strength of victory (.513 to Jets' .492 and Ravens' .387) and conference record over Houston (6-5 to Texans 5-6).

that's not correct. denver was #6 today and lost. they don't move to #5 with a loss.

Ambiguous
12-27-2009, 05:51 PM

Won't that just apply to who gets what seed? The loser of that will get the sixth seed, right?

Williams
12-27-2009, 05:54 PM
So if we win next week are we still #5 regardless what happens with other teams?

Archer81
12-27-2009, 05:55 PM
NFL.Com does have us as the 5th seed playing Cinci. Odd. Pitts conference record is 5-6, Den, NYJ and Balt have 6-5 conference records. Wierdness.

:Broncos:

Ambiguous
So if we win next week are we still #5 regardless what happens with other teams?

This has my head spinning.

So is this all basically saying that there can't be 3 teams from one division in the playoffs.

ScottXray
I'm not sure why the Jets are in over Baltimore (did they beat them?)

For wild card ties these are the tie breakers:

Three or More Clubs

Apply division tie breaker to eliminate all but the highest ranked club in each division prior to proceeding to step 2. This eliminates one of Pitt or Balt (currently Pitt)
The original seeding within a division upon application of the division tie breaker remains the same for all subsequent applications of the procedure that are necessary to identify the two Wild-Card participants.
Head-to-head sweep. (Applicable only if one club has defeated each of the others or if one club has lost to each of the others.) does not apply since no one team has played all the others
Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference. Us and Jets and Balt with currently 6-5 records All others at 5-6 or worse
Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games, minimum of four. Not sure about this or what the results are
Strength of victory.
Strength of schedule.
Coin toss

Ratboy

People claim we dont even have the 5th seed.

I will wait till everything unfolds.

We just need to take the chiefs and ram it in their ass.

Gort
scenario.

AFCN
-----
CIN 11-5
PIT 9-7
BAL 9-7

AFCW
-----
SD 12-4
DEN 8-8

AFCS
-----
INDY 15-1
HOU 8-8

AFCE
-----
NE 11-5
NYJ 8-8

in the above scenario, people are misinterpreting the rules. they assume that since PIT wins the tiebreaker over BAL, that PIT is in at #5 and BAL is out. leaving the #6 seed to be determined between three 8-8 teams. think about that for a second... a 9-7 WC contender is left home while an 8-8 team is given the #6 seed. that's nonsense. and illustrates what people are misunderstanding about the rules. the rules apply to determine the #5 seed. then you start all over again for the #6 seed. in the above scenario (which i made simply for illustration purposes), PIT and BAL get the 2 WC spots with the #5 team determined comparing PIT vs. BAL using the divisional rules. it's common sense everyone. don't fool yourself into thinking there is some unexpected backdoor that will allow DEN to make the playoffs if they haven't actually earned it.

LongDongJohnson
that's not correct. denver was #6 today and lost. they don't move to #5 with a loss.

just go with it.

troya900
12-27-2009, 05:56 PM
It's not.

According to the yahoo one Denver can lose to KC and still get in with a couple different scenerios. Obviously, by most of the playoff fighting teams losing.

Ratboy
12-27-2009, 05:56 PM
According to CBS...

AFC Playoff tiebreakers
New England earns the No. 3 seed over Cincinnati based on strength of victory (.433 to Bengals' .403).
Denver earns the No. 5 seed over N.Y. Jets and Baltimore based on strength of victory (.513 to Jets' .492 and Ravens' .387) and conference record over Houston (6-5 to Texans' 5-6).
N.Y. Jets earn the No. 6 seed over Baltimore and Houston based on strength of victory (.492 to Ravens' .387 and Texans' .392).
Baltimore finishes ahead of Houston based on conference record (6-5 over Texans' 5-6).
Houston finishes ahead of Pittsburgh based on common games (3-1 over Steelers' 1-3).

ScottXray
12-27-2009, 05:58 PM
Full reasons

AFC Playoff tiebreakers
New England earns the No. 3 seed over Cincinnati based on strength of victory (.433 to Bengals' .403).
Denver earns the No. 5 seed over N.Y. Jets and Baltimore based on strength of victory (.513 to Jets' .492 and Ravens' .387) and conference record over Houston (6-5 to Texans' 5-6).
N.Y. Jets earn the No. 6 seed over Baltimore and Houston based on strength of victory (.492 to Ravens' .387 and Texans' .392).
Baltimore finishes ahead of Houston based on conference record (6-5 over Texans' 5-6).
Houston finishes ahead of Pittsburgh based on common games (3-1 over Steelers' 1-3).

bloodsunday

I don't think so. The tie breakers all change as we all play games.

ZONA
It sure is confusing but I just don't see how 3 teams from one division can make it. Cincy wins the North, and if Pitt gets #5 and they start all over and figure out that Balt gets #6, that's 3 teams from same division. Has that ever been done before? I don't think so. I'm not so sure it starts all over again once they figure out if either Balt or Pitt is out for the #5 seed.

snowspot66
12-27-2009, 06:01 PM
scenario.

AFCN
-----
CIN 11-5
PIT 9-7
BAL 9-7

AFCW
-----
SD 12-4
DEN 8-8

AFCS
-----
INDY 15-1
HOU 8-8

AFCE
-----
NE 11-5
NYJ 8-8

in the above scenario, people are misinterpreting the rules. they assume that since PIT wins the tiebreaker over BAL, that PIT is in at #5 and BAL is out. leaving the #6 seed to be determined between three 8-8 teams. think about that for a second... a 9-7 WC contender is left home while an 8-8 team is given the #6 seed. that's nonsense. and illustrates what people are misunderstanding about the rules. the rules apply to determine the #5 seed. then you start all over again for the #6 seed. in the above scenario (which i made simply for illustration purposes), PIT and BAL get the 2 WC spots with the #5 team determined comparing PIT vs. BAL using the divisional rules. it's common sense everyone. don't fool yourself into thinking there is some unexpected backdoor that will allow DEN to make the playoffs if they haven't actually earned it.

The problem is you have the Broncos at 8-8 in your scenario. If that happens were out. Period. People are talking about if we beat the Chiefs. Then were 9-7.

broncosteven
12-27-2009, 06:01 PM

It would have been nice if we took care of the Raiders but instead the 5-9 Raiders rammed it in our ass and we have to hope we can back into the playoffs.

cabronco
12-27-2009, 06:03 PM
We'll just have to have Congress set aside the healthcare bill and work on the playoffs scenario....too confusing. Of course they'll screw it up worse plus tax us for doing it, nevermind.

Gort
It sure is confusing but I just don't see how 3 teams from one division can make it. Cincy wins the North, and if Pitt gets #5 and they start all over and figure out that Balt gets #6, that's 3 teams from same division. Has that ever been done before? I don't think so. I'm not so sure it starts all over again once they figure out if either Balt or Pitt is out for the #5 seed.

2007. colts won their division. JAX and TEN were the WC teams.

LongDongJohnson
if we are number 5 we still don't control our destiny. If we win and the steelers and ravens win while the jets and texans lose, I don't see how we get in over Pitt and Balt if were all 9-7. So maybe we need the jets to win and us win and were in? What would a jets win over cincy do to the strength of victory tiebreaker?

dbroncos31
12-27-2009, 06:05 PM
scenario.

AFCN
-----
CIN 11-5
PIT 9-7
BAL 9-7

AFCW
-----
SD 12-4
DEN 8-8

AFCS
-----
INDY 15-1
HOU 8-8

AFCE
-----
NE 11-5
NYJ 8-8

If this happens then obviously we won't make it. But right now, with 5 teams tied, we are the #5 seed.
Pit is eliminated because Balt has a better division record. Houston is eliminated because they have a worse conference record. the next tiebreaker is strentgh of victory and we are #1 there, followed by the Jets and then the Ravens. Hence why we are #5 and NYJ is #6.

If the Jets were ahead of us in strength of victory then Balt would beat us based on tiebreaker.

All I know is we need to win next week and then whatever happens happens

Gort
12-27-2009, 06:06 PM
The problem is you have the Broncos at 8-8 in your scenario. If that happens were out. Period. People are talking about if we beat the Chiefs. Then were 9-7.

that was just an example to show how 3 teams can come from the same division. the people hoping for a broncos WC spot right now and clinging to the idea that if PIT & BAL are tied with the same record and one of them gets the #5 spot, that the other will be eliminated and the #6 spot could go to somebody lower on the totem pole. it doesn't work that way. sure BAL could be eliminated from consideration for the #5 spot, but they are still in the mix for consideration for #6, and would in fact get it, in the above scenario.

Kid A
12-27-2009, 06:08 PM
if we are number 5 we still don't control our destiny. If we win and the steelers and ravens win while the jets and texans lose, I don't see how we get in over Pitt and Balt if were all 9-7. So maybe we need the jets to win and us win and were in? What would a jets win over cincy do to the strength of victory tiebreaker?

According to a poster on the NFL.com link, you're dead on.

I love all you people who think NFL.com would have the wrong team posted when it's the website for the league. Head to head doesn't matter unless 1 team either beat all the other teams with the same record or 1 team lost to all the other teams with the same record. Therefore you people who think Baltimore and Pittsburgh should have Denver's spot, you're both wrong. The only way Denver doesn't make the playoffs is A) these lose to the Chiefs next week, or B) they win, Steelers win, Ravens win, Jets lose and Texans lose. Otherwise Denver is in.

That Broncos W, Steelers W, Ravens W, Jets L, Texans L, scenario is very plausible, but it contains enough variable that you have to like our chances.

Assuming this ranking on NFL.com is correct to being with.

Gort
12-27-2009, 06:08 PM

we don't. right now BAL and PIT are above us. HOU seems to be below us. not sure where NYJ fall. so at best, DEN is #7 right now. at worst, we are #8. DEN needs to win next week and get help.

Orange4Life
12-27-2009, 06:10 PM

This we are currently at #5 on NFL.com because there is a 5 way tie at 8-7 that will not hold for next week. If the season ended today we would be in. What a cluster ****. We are at #5 currently but do not control our own destiny. I think

Crazy

oubronco
12-27-2009, 06:10 PM
It's simple we win we are in

Gort
12-27-2009, 06:11 PM

it's not correct. i don't know why they can't hire competent people there. if you're going to rush something onto the web, you need to make sure it's correct.

DEN at 8-7 is not currently holding a WC spot.

for any 2 teams with the same record, the first deciding factor is ALWAYS head to head. before you ever worry about divisional records, or conferences records, or common games or points or any of that other stuff, you check for head to head records. right now PIT > BAL > DEN.

oubronco
12-27-2009, 06:13 PM
it's not correct. i don't know why they can't hire competent people there. if you're going to rush something onto the web, you need to make sure it's correct.

for any 2 teams with the same record, the first deciding factor is ALWAYS head to head. before you ever worry about divisional records, or conferences records, or common games or points or any of that other stuff, you check for head to head records. right now PIT > BAL > DEN.

according to every show after the game they win they are in

Kid A
It's simple we win we are in

Unless!

Steelers beat Dolphins

Ravens beat Raiders

Pats beat Texans

Bengals beat Jets

Which is a very plausible scenario (better record winning in each case). With some teams sitting players, though, it does make it look like the odds could tilt in our favor.

Crazy.

Orange4Life
According to a poster on the NFL.com link, you're dead on.

That Broncos W, Steelers W, Ravens W, Jets L, Texans L, scenario is very plausible, but it contains enough variable that you have to like our chances.

I support this post and will accept it until proven otherwise!

LongDongJohnson
12-27-2009, 06:14 PM
we don't. right now BAL and PIT are above us. HOU seems to be below us. not sure where NYJ fall. so at best, DEN is #7 right now. at worst, we are #8. DEN needs to win next week and get help.

well every site is saying we are number 5 right now. Do you work for the NFL and have all of the inside knowledge?

oubronco
12-27-2009, 06:14 PM
Unless!

Steelers beat Dolphins

Ravens beat Raiders

Pats beat Texans

Bengals beat Jets

Which is a very plausible scenario (better record winning in each case). With some teams sitting players, though, it does make it look like the odds could tilt in our favor.

Crazy.

not according to every nfl show after the game we beat the chiefs we are in

Dagmar
12-27-2009, 06:15 PM
well every site is saying we are number 5 right now. Do you work for the NFL and have all of the inside knowledge?

But I see his point, we were SIXTH to start and lost, now we are FIFTH?

Kid A
12-27-2009, 06:16 PM

You very well may be right (certainly what I believed 15 min ago). But if what I am reading about a tie between THREE OR MORE TEAMS is correct, head to head does not factor in, at least in that way.

Hopefully we'll get some clarity soon.

Dagmar
12-27-2009, 06:17 PM
not according to every nfl show after the game we beat the chiefs we are in

Immediately following the game here in Colorado CBS4 ans Vic Lombardi do a preview of the evening news before 60 minutes. His exact words were the only way we make the playoffs is with help next week, it's out of our hands now.

not claiming Vic knows all, Jeez, Rex Ryan thought his team was dead last week!

broncocalijohn
here is an idea. Broncos win the mother ****ing game and let the other scenarios pan out. WHy dont someone post the times for next week. Not sure if flex schedule has already been determined.

Kid A
But I see his point, we were SIXTH to start and lost, now we are FIFTH?

It would seem that we either can get the 5th or nothing at all (no shot at the 6th) given the possible scenarios.

I have to wonder if Jets over Colts was a scenario nobody really considered, and now we have a 5-way-tiebreaker that very few anticipated, thus the surprise and confusion.

Gort
12-27-2009, 06:19 PM
ok, i've re-read their rules carefully. here's where i think the confusion is occurring. since we have 5 WC contenders who have not all played each other, they skip the head to head step which is normally the most important one. by doing that, we get into a scenario where divisional records are now most important. so yes, even after losing today and losing 7 of 9, the Broncos have moved up in the seeding. so i'm a bit stunned by this because it defies all logic, but it's how they do things when you have this many teams involved. basically, the best thing for Denver is for everyone to finish with the same record. the more 8-7 teams that lose next week, the harder for the Broncos to make the playoffs, unless the teams losing are ones which hold a tiebreaker over us due to head to head games. it's really bass ackwards, but that seems to be it.

so i'm wrong. logic doesn't prevail. clearly there were lawyers involved in writing these tiebreakers. :approve:

oubronco
Immediately following the game here in Colorado CBS4 ans Vic Lombardi do a preview of the evening news before 60 minutes. His exact words were the only way we make the playoffs is with help next week, it's out of our hands now.

not claiming Vic knows all, Jeez, Rex Ryan thought his team was dead last week!

all I know is that is what they all said

UberBroncoMan
My BRAIN...

My MOTHER****ING BRAIN!!!

Dagmar
12-27-2009, 06:20 PM
all I know is that is what they all said

And all I know is what handsome Vic said!!!

bloodsunday
12-27-2009, 06:20 PM
So I think I understand, what we need to happen is exactly the situation today, many teams tied. In that scenario, Pitts and Balt victories over us are negated. If however, we end up with just the three of us tied, we are screwed. Personally I think our best chance to get in is Miami beats Pittsburgh.

bloodsunday
12-27-2009, 06:21 PM
ok, i've re-read their rules carefully. here's where i think the confusion is occurring. since we have 5 WC contenders who have not all played each other, they skip the head to head step which is normally the most important one. by doing that, we get into a scenario where divisional records are now most important. so yes, even after losing today and losing 7 of 9, the Broncos have moved up in the seeding. so i'm a bit stunned by this because it defies all logic, but it's how they do things when you have this many teams involved. basically, the best thing for Denver is for everyone to finish with the same record. the more 8-7 teams that lose next week, the harder for the Broncos to make the playoffs, unless the teams losing are ones which hold a tiebreaker over us due to head to head games. it's really bass ackwards, but that seems to be it.

so i'm wrong. logic doesn't prevail. clearly there were lawyers involved in writing these tiebreakers. :approve:

I've come to the same conclusion. We are hoping for mass hysteria.

Ratboy
12-27-2009, 06:22 PM

This is both good and bad news. This seems to hurt our chances though. What are the chances we get into the playoffs with just a win? Seems slim.

I wish we could just take next week off.

broncocalijohn
12-27-2009, 06:23 PM
This is both good and bad news. This seems to hurt our chances though. What are the chances we get into the playoffs with just a win? Seems slim.

if we lose, we can take the whole offseason off starting January 4th.

Gort
12-27-2009, 06:23 PM
I've come to the same conclusion. We are hoping for mass hysteria.

and all 5 teams can win next week, but the seeds still change due to changes in divisional records. really a dumb way to do things, but having this many teams tied going into the final week is really a clusterf*ck for the NFL.

MrPeepers
12-27-2009, 06:25 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/standings/playoffrace

yhova
12-27-2009, 06:26 PM
We need to win and either Miami over Pitt, or Cincy over Jets. Pretty easy to understand

Gort
12-27-2009, 06:27 PM

next week is a divisional game, so with a win, the Broncos divisional winning % goes up. so it doesn't hurt. unless HOU and NYJ lose, and PIT and BAL win. in that case, the 3 teams left HAVE played head to head and it seems divisional winning % won't help us because we lose the head to head tie breaker. so we DO NOT want any scenario where only DEN, PIT, and BAL remain with the same record (9-7). we want at least HOU and NYJ to win next week as well, so that we can ignore head to head and proceed to divisional records. ugh.

it's easier to just root for cutler to throw 4 picks tomorrow night! :welcome:

BlaK-Argentina
12-27-2009, 06:27 PM
Wow this is crazy. Interesting, and fun, but crazy!

Kid A
12-27-2009, 06:28 PM
7 teams vying for 2 spots in the final week. That is insane.

Dagmar
12-27-2009, 06:28 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/standings/playoffrace

We've seen this, but other places state other things. Someone is wrong.

Broncos123
12-27-2009, 06:31 PM
If we are tied just with Baltimore and Pittsburgh, we lose out. We need one of or both the Jets and Texans to be tied with us if we are tied with Ballitmore or Pittsburgh

LongDongJohnson
12-27-2009, 06:34 PM
We need to win and either Miami over Pitt, or Cincy over Jets. Pretty easy to understand

wait I thought we want the jets to win?

yhova
12-27-2009, 06:36 PM
wait I thought we want the jets to win?
The Jets are going to win either way against Cincy's practice squad, so the point is moot.

Only Denver would find a way to blow a game like that.

Ratboy
12-27-2009, 06:37 PM
We need a dummy proof chart with smile faces and sad faces.

Kid A
12-27-2009, 06:38 PM
Schefter is saying otherwise right now (as is Yahoo)

http://twitter.com/ADAM_SCHEFTER

Someone official please make this clear/certain. I want to believe the NFL website.

Requiem
12-27-2009, 06:38 PM
My thoughts on this playoff debacle.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/30/55646962_b3f0dc9487.jpg

misturanderson
12-27-2009, 06:39 PM

This post is correct.

ScottXray
12-27-2009, 06:46 PM
The Jets are going to win either way against Cincy's practice squad, so the point is moot.

Only Denver would find a way to blow a game like that.

A Jets Loss is what we want. Hopefully both NE and Cinnci care who they play 2nd round and go for the wins. On the other hand no one is going to want to catch SD in the 2nd round as they are the hottest team right now, and whoever ends up with the 3rd seed may have to play them.

Neither team can wait to see what happens to the other since they both play at 1 EST.

phillybroncosnut
12-27-2009, 06:52 PM
Here is the deal.... WC Ties are ALWAYS broken within division FIRST! The team that loses that tiebreaker is OUT of any other spot or scenerio... Always been this way! So, the loser of the tie break between Baltimore and pitts is out. Even if its for the 5th seed, they are out of the 6th see as well.
Now, go from there

Broncoman13
12-27-2009, 06:52 PM

Wrong, if the season were to end right now it would be the Broncos and the Jets in as the Wild Cards.

Why can't some of you thick skulled, numbnuts get it through your heads? The head to head games with the Steelers and Ravens only come in to play if we are the only three teams with 9-7 records. If there is another 9-7 team that we haven't all played, they throw the h2h out of the equation and it goes down to conference records, in which we hold the tie breakers in most scenarios, provided we beat the Chefs. Win against the Chefs and we are about 90% in though we do need a few things to go our way. But, if either the Ravens or Steelers lose, we are in. If either the Jets or Texans win to finish 9-7 it helps us tremendously as we hold the AFC Conference tie breakers over just about anyone. The threats to us for the division records were both eliminated in Jax and Miami.

So, Pittsburgh goes to Miami next week. That will be a tough game for them, but I think they'll win.

The Ravens go to Chokeland and that is anybody's guess as to which Faid team shows up. Call it a Ravens win.

Then you have the Bungles playing at the NYJets. Tough call on this one but Cincy will be playing or the #3 seed so they will at least show up. Figure a Jets win though.

New England then goes to Houston. I think the Texans will give them a fight but they aren't all that good at defending the pass and Brady has it going again. Figure the Pats will win this one.

So, that leaves the Ravens, Jets, Steelers, and Broncos at 9-7.

Conf. Records
Denver- 7-5
Baltimore- 7-5
NY Jets- 7-5
Pittsburgh- 6-6

So the first tie breaker (div records will not apply)
The second tie breaker (h2h if all teams have played each other, will not apply)
The third tie breaker (conf records applies and the Steelers are eliminated).

The fourth tie breaker (strength of victory, apparently comes out with the Jets and Broncos though I haven't looked into it, just going off of what was on ESPN an hour ago).

It's all pretty confusing, but the good thing is the h2h won't come into play unless it's just us and either Pitt or Balt.

Broncoman13
12-27-2009, 06:56 PM
AFC Playoff tiebreakers
N.Y. Jets earn the No. 6 seed over Baltimore based on strength of victory (.492 to Ravens' .387) and conference record over Houston (6-5 to Texans' 5-6).
Houston finishes ahead of Pittsburgh based on common games (3-1 over Steelers 1-3).

I think the Jets can leap frog us in strength of victory if they earn a win next week over Cincy. The Ravens cannot.

Baba Booey
12-27-2009, 06:57 PM
So the easiest way of putting this is that we don't want us, the Steelers, and the Ravens to be the only 9-7 teams.

Broncoman13
12-27-2009, 07:02 PM

We need the Jets to win or the Texans (or both for that matter). That would screw out the Ravens and Steelers if 5 teams finished 9-7 and the Broncos and Jets would get in. The only thing in question is if we would end up with the 5th seed based on strength of victory. Right now, we hold the advantage but that could change should teams like the Bengals and Patriots lose to the Jets and Texans... though the Texans SOV won't even come in to play b/c they will be eliminated with an inferior conf. record. The Jets however could leap frog us since our SOV isn't going up with a win vs the Chefs and a Jets win with cause their SOV to go up AND ours to go down a bit (Bengals loss). Crystal clear now. ;D

Broncoman13
12-27-2009, 07:03 PM
So the easiest way of putting this is that we don't want us, the Steelers, and the Ravens to be the only 9-7 teams.

Exactly... that and we just became huge Jets and Texans fans... or have to root for the Faiders and Dolphins, take your pick.

Broncoman13
12-27-2009, 07:05 PM
Here is the deal.... WC Ties are ALWAYS broken within division FIRST! The team that loses that tiebreaker is OUT of any other spot or scenerio... Always been this way! So, the loser of the tie break between Baltimore and pitts is out. Even if its for the 5th seed, they are out of the 6th see as well.
Now, go from there

You sure? That would mean we want the Jets to lose as they will most likely leap frog us in SOV.

Ughhhhh

phillybroncosnut
12-27-2009, 07:07 PM
You sure? That would mean we want the Jets to lose as they will most likely leap frog us in SOV.

Ughhhhh

I'm not quoting any expert or site... Thats just the way I always understood it. I could be wrong. I'm not gonna act like the God of football scenerios like some on this board... Just saying what I always thought the rule was.

Arkie
12-27-2009, 07:07 PM

We don't want the Jets to win.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/playoffscenario?algorithm=yahooranker

Kid A
12-27-2009, 07:08 PM
Exactly... that and we just became huge Jets and Texans fans... or have to root for the Faiders and Dolphins, take your pick.

Why are so many places saying Jets and Ravens both control their destiny? This implies that the Jets have a tiebreaker against us if Denver, Balt, and NY are all 9-7. What is it?

Gort
12-27-2009, 07:08 PM
Wrong, if the season were to end right now it would be the Broncos and the Jets in as the Wild Cards.

Why can't some of you thick skulled, numbnuts get it through your heads? The head to head games with the Steelers and Ravens only come in to play if we are the only three teams with 9-7 records. If there is another 9-7 team that we haven't all played, they throw the h2h out of the equation and it goes down to conference records, in which we hold the tie breakers in most scenarios, provided we beat the Chefs. Win against the Chefs and we are about 90% in though we do need a few things to go our way. But, if either the Ravens or Steelers lose, we are in. If either the Jets or Texans win to finish 9-7 it helps us tremendously as we hold the AFC Conference tie breakers over just about anyone. The threats to us for the division records were both eliminated in Jax and Miami.

So, Pittsburgh goes to Miami next week. That will be a tough game for them, but I think they'll win.

The Ravens go to Chokeland and that is anybody's guess as to which Faid team shows up. Call it a Ravens win.

Then you have the Bungles playing at the NYJets. Tough call on this one but Cincy will be playing or the #3 seed so they will at least show up. Figure a Jets win though.

New England then goes to Houston. I think the Texans will give them a fight but they aren't all that good at defending the pass and Brady has it going again. Figure the Pats will win this one.

So, that leaves the Ravens, Jets, Steelers, and Broncos at 9-7.

Conf. Records
Denver- 7-5
Baltimore- 7-5
NY Jets- 7-5
Pittsburgh- 6-6

So the first tie breaker (div records will not apply)
The second tie breaker (h2h if all teams have played each other, will not apply)
The third tie breaker (conf records applies and the Steelers are eliminated).

The fourth tie breaker (strength of victory, apparently comes out with the Jets and Broncos though I haven't looked into it, just going off of what was on ESPN an hour ago).

It's all pretty confusing, but the good thing is the h2h won't come into play unless it's just us and either Pitt or Balt.

you spent alot of time chastising me, when you could have read the thread a bit more and found out that i'd already corrected my error in understanding.

feel better now?

Txdonk
12-27-2009, 07:11 PM
We really need Houston to win to muddy things up, for example:

-If Den, Bal and Jets finish 9-7, there will be no H2H tie-break, everyone's 7-5 in the conference, but Jets will be 4-1 in common games (the teams all 3 played are NE, Cin, INDY and Oak), we'll be 3-2, Bal 1-4). Jets gets #5 and then Bal gets #6 over Den due to H2H between 2 teams.

Add in Hou and I don't believe all 4 teams have played enough common games, then it goes down to strength of victory and we'll tops there; we get #5 seed.

-If only Den, Bal and Pitt win, we all have read enough of this scenerio, I won't repeat it.

Add in Hou, suddenly there is enough common foes that Bal, Hou and Den has faced (IND, Cin, Oak) after Pitt is eliminated, Bal is then eliminated due to the worst record there; then it's down to Den vs. Hou and we own the conf record tie-break to grab #5.

I see no harm, only benefit, if Houston wins next week.

Gort
12-27-2009, 07:12 PM
I'm not quoting any expert or site... Thats just the way I always understood it. I could be wrong. I'm not gonna act like the God of football scenerios like some on this board... Just saying what I always thought the rule was.

look at the 2007 final standings.

Gort
12-27-2009, 07:15 PM
Why are so many places saying Jets and Ravens both control their destiny? This implies that the Jets have a tiebreaker against us if Denver, Balt, and NY are all 9-7. What is it?

common opponents i guess.

phillybroncosnut
12-27-2009, 07:22 PM
look at the 2007 final standings.

Not saying you are wrong... I do have a question though... Was that the same scenerio? 4 or 5 teams all with the same record or was one of the WC teams already locked in and the other division team won a tie breaker with the 3 other teams? Or was the tie broken twice?

Ambiguous
12-27-2009, 08:04 PM
We don't want the Jets to win.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/playoffscenario?algorithm=yahooranker

That scenario has us missing the playoffs whether they win or lose...

LongDongJohnson
12-27-2009, 08:21 PM
now I'm hearing we are the 7th seed

Ratboy
12-27-2009, 08:34 PM
Whaaaat? This is too confusing!

Kid A
12-27-2009, 08:41 PM
Pretty sure this is the situation (of course I was pretty sure earlier, so grain of salt). We are the #5 seed due to the convoluted multi-team tiebreakers. Because the Jets (vs Cincy) and Ravens (vs. Oak) will be playing/gaining common opponents of ours next week, though, they have the chance to jump us in the tiebreakers. So they control their destinies.

For us to get in we need:

-Broncos win

-Ravens OR Jets loss

-Pitt loss OR Houston win

Ratboy
12-27-2009, 08:45 PM
Let's hope they all lose.

Ravens at Raiders
Steelers at Dolphins
Bengals at Jets
Patriots at Houston

LongDongJohnson
12-27-2009, 08:46 PM
NBC and pretty much everyone else is now saying we are 7th seed. I'd like to know how the jets have the tie breaker over us. Common opponents? I mean they beat the colts unlike us

KipCorrington25
12-27-2009, 08:50 PM
we always lose tiebreakers

South Stands
12-27-2009, 09:09 PM
common opponents i guess.

This is the key. The fourth tiebreaker is not strength of victory. The fourth tiebreaker is record against common opponents, but only if there are four such opponents.

Right now the first tiebreaker (narrowing down to one team from each division) sets Pittsburgh aside and leaves Denver, Baltimore, Houston and the Jets. The second tiebreaker (conference record) knocks out Houston. That leaves Denver, NYJ and Baltimore. The next tiebreaker is common opponents. Right now that step doesn't apply, because there aren't four common opponents. That takes it to the next tiebreaker, which Denver apparently wins. Voila, Denver is RIGHT NOW the #5 seed.

HOWEVAH, once the Jest play Cincy and Baltimore plays Oakland next week, there will be 4 common opponents for Denver, Baltimore and NYJ (NE, Indy, Cincy and Oakland). Once that tiebreaker comes into play, the Jets win it, assuming all 3 teams win next week... (Jets 4-1, Denver 3-2, Baltimore 1-4). Then the process starts over again. Apparently with only Denver and Baltimore (the remaining survivors to the tiebreaker that the Jets won...). And at that point head-to-head kills us. That's how we are technically #5 now, but don't control our own density...

EDIT: Looking at the tiebreaker rules again, it looks like Houston would come back in (as it stands now), but since they would drop out at the conference record step, leaving only Denver and Baltimore, at that point you go to the two team tiebreaker rules, which brings head-to-head back in... :crazy:

TomServo
12-28-2009, 01:38 AM
O Yay, maybe we beat the chiefs at home AND some teams lose. Maybe Maybe if we were hot team. but we just lost 3 out of four and we won two out of 10 games woohoo

Bronco Yoda
12-28-2009, 02:28 AM
I'm so confused...

Bronco Rob
12-28-2009, 03:09 AM

Thanks a lot BloodySunday. Now lets just kill Kansas City.

:sunshine:

rastaman
12-28-2009, 09:13 AM

Yep I agree. The KC won't be a walk in the park. If we can lose to the Raiders we can split and lose to the Chiefs.

broncosteven
12-28-2009, 10:53 AM
O Yay, maybe we beat the chiefs at home AND some teams lose. Maybe Maybe if we were hot team. but we just lost 3 out of four and we won two out of 10 games woohoo

No way anyone can say the KFC game is a given since we were upset at home vs Oakland.

If the KFC WR's actually make some catches then it could be 2 out of 11 to end the year.

Northman
12-28-2009, 10:56 AM
Denver needs one of two things to happen. We need either both the Steelers and Ravens to lose their games. With Pitt playing Miami that could easily happen. Oakland has played better and may surprise the Ravens. Or we need the Jets to lose to NE but since NE has nothing to play for this week its most likely the Jets will win their game. But first and foremost Denver needs to beat KC to have any shot at all.

bowtown
12-28-2009, 10:58 AM
Denver needs one of two things to happen. We need either both the Steelers and Ravens to lose their games. With Pitt playing Miami that could easily happen. Oakland has played better and may surprise the Ravens. Or we need the Jets to lose to NE but since NE has nothing to play for this week its most likely the Jets will win their game. But first and foremost Denver needs to beat KC to have any shot at all.

Jets play Cinncinati

go_broncos
12-28-2009, 11:00 AM

You mean..Jets against Cincy.
I don't trust OAK.Ravens defense is too tough to handle.

Northman
12-28-2009, 11:00 AM
Jets play Cinncinati

My fault. Either way Cincy has nothing to play for so i just dont see NY losing at home there.

TheDave
12-28-2009, 11:07 AM
http://www.nfl.com/standings/tiebreakingprocedures

NFL Tiebreaking Procedures

The six postseason participants from each conference are seeded as follows:

The division champion with the best record.
The division champion with the second-best record.
The division champion with the third-best record.
The division champion with the fourth-best record.
The Wild Card club with the best record.
The Wild Card club with the second-best record.
The following procedures will be used to break standings ties for postseason playoffs and to determine regular-season schedules.
NOTE: Tie games count as one-half win and one-half loss for both clubs.
TO BREAK A TIE WITHIN A DIVISION

If, at the end of the regular season, two or more clubs in the same division finish with identical won-lost-tied percentages, the following steps will be taken until a champion is determined.
Two Clubs

Head-to-head (best won-lost-tied percentage in games between the clubs).
Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the division.
Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games.
Strength of victory.
Strength of schedule.
Best net points in common games.
Coin toss
Three or More Clubs

(Note: If two clubs remain tied after third or other clubs are eliminated during any step, tie breaker reverts to step 1 of the two-club format).

Head-to-head (best won-lost-tied percentage in games among the clubs).
Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the division.
Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games.
Strength of victory.
Strength of schedule.
Best net points in common games.
Coin toss

Two Clubs

Strength of victory.
Strength of schedule.
Coin toss.
Three or More Clubs

Strength of victory.
Strength of schedule.
Coin toss
DETERMINING HOME-FIELD PRIORITY

To determine home-field priority among division titlists, apply Wild-Card tie breakers.
To determine home-field priority for Wild-Card qualifiers, apply division tie breakers (if teams are from the same division) or Wild-Card tie breakers (if teams are from different divisions).
TIE-BREAKING PROCEDURE FOR SELECTION MEETING

If two or more clubs are tied in the selection order, the strength-of-schedule tie breaker is applied, subject to the following exceptions for playoff clubs:

The Super Bowl winner is last and the Super Bowl loser next-to-last.
Any non-Super Bowl playoff club involved in a tie moves down in drafting priority within its tied segment as follows:

For a loss inthe Wild-Card playoffs, a plus factor of one-half.
For participation, win or lose, in the Divisional Playoffs, a plus factor of one.
For a loss in the conference championship Game, a plus factor of one.

Clubs with the best won-lost-tied records after these steps are applied will drop to their appropriate spots at the bottom of the tied segment. In no case will the above process move a club lower than the segmentin which it was initially tied.
Tied clubs will alternate priority throughout the 7 rounds of the draft. In case of a tie involving three or more teams, the club with priority in the first round will drop to the bottom of the tied segment in the second round and move its way back to the top of the segment in each succeeding round.
If any ties cannot be broken by strength of schedule, the divisional or conference tie breakers, whichever are applicable, are applied. Any ties that still exist are broken by a coin flip.

TheDave
12-28-2009, 11:08 AM
According to the NFL this is how it works for us...

DENVER BRONCOS
Denver clinches a playoff spot:
1) DEN win + NYJ loss or tie + BAL loss or tie
2) DEN win + NYJ loss or tie + PIT loss or tie
3) DEN win + NYJ loss or tie + HOU win
4) DEN win + BAL loss or tie + PIT loss or tie
5) DEN win + BAL loss or tie + HOU win
6) PIT loss + BAL loss + HOU loss + JAC loss
7) PIT loss + BAL loss + HOU loss + NYJ loss
8.) PIT loss + BAL loss + JAC loss + NYJ loss
9) PIT loss + HOU loss + JAC loss + NYJ loss
10) MIA loss or tie + NYJ loss + BAL loss + HOU loss + JAC loss or tie