PDA

View Full Version : so how much you think the refs got paid for this game?

tsiguy96
12-27-2009, 05:49 PM
never seen such a poorly officiated game in my life.

Broncomutt
12-27-2009, 05:51 PM
We are an undisciplined team. Undisciplined teams commit penalties.

But the refs were idiots, that much is true.

Kaylore
12-27-2009, 05:53 PM
Yeah we got a lot of bad calls. However our line needs to play better. They have been getting owned all year.

scttgrd
12-27-2009, 05:58 PM
Ok, we got 3 turnovers and how many first downs in the first half? The Eagles tried to give this game away in the third quarter and you blame the refs? You might want to look at your fearless leader.

brother love
12-27-2009, 06:02 PM
I don't understand how a guy juggling a catch shows possesion with 2 feet down.

tsiguy96
12-27-2009, 06:04 PM
im not gonna say its the refs fault 100%, but this team played well enough to beat hte eagles today. when the eagles needed it, they got help from the refs. so many phantom and BS calls today it was unbelievable.

oubronco
12-27-2009, 06:04 PM
Orton runs for the first down when its 3rd and 2 with ten yds in front of him and it's a different ballgame

MplsBronco
12-27-2009, 06:05 PM

Let alone show enough to overturn the call on the field, which is supposed to be so overwhelmingly obvious in order to do so.

Mogulseeker
12-27-2009, 06:06 PM

Who was the ref for this game?

Williams
12-27-2009, 06:06 PM
Today was bad... but I have seen much worse officiating this season alone. The Pitt @ Den game was worse. The Baltimore @ Pitt game today was worse.

Kid A
12-27-2009, 06:07 PM
Orton runs for the first down when its 3rd and 2 with ten yds in front of him and it's a different ballgame

Or DJ not letting McNabb run past him on 3rd and 25 (flipping field position). That was just terrible, even if they did stop them later.

Kid A
12-27-2009, 06:08 PM

Let alone to overturn it.

However, we might have gotten a slight benefit on the backward pass overturn (though I thought it went directly horizontal if anything).

Mogulseeker
12-27-2009, 06:09 PM
Who was the ref for this game?

NM, Mike Carey

tsiguy96
12-27-2009, 06:09 PM
Or DJ not letting McNabb run past him on 3rd and 25 (flipping field position). That was just terrible, even if they did stop them later.

plays like this and the broncos would have won, which is why its not 100% the refs fault the broncos lost obviously. but if the refs had fairly called this game, we win no question. they got so much help especially early on.

Bronx33
12-27-2009, 06:11 PM

me either...

Orange4Life
12-27-2009, 06:12 PM
We didn't do enough to win the game.

That said the refs did all they could to make calls on third down to extend and end drives all game. They had a huge impact in the result today.

brother love
12-27-2009, 06:12 PM
Yeah but it really sucks when you have to fight two opponents and not just one.

Popps
12-27-2009, 06:13 PM
The worst was the phantom "hands to the face" on Woodyard.

I'm not a big "blame it on the refs" guy, but geesh... at least come close to getting it right if you're going to change the course of a game.

alchemize
12-27-2009, 06:13 PM
Refs gave us 7 back. How about stopping them on 3rd and 25?? Scoring on one of those 4th quarter drives?

broncosteven
12-27-2009, 07:09 PM
im not gonna say its the refs fault 100%, but this team played well enough to beat hte eagles today. when the eagles needed it, they got help from the refs. so many phantom and BS calls today it was unbelievable.

I blame who ever gameplans. This team starts so slow in the 1st half. I can remember a couple times this year that we have been down 2 scores before our O has a 1st down. We didn't get a 1st down until the 2nd quarter.

Maybe if they started better and wern't down 13 or 21 at the half they would have a better chance at making the comeback.

Tombstone RJ
12-27-2009, 07:11 PM

Just another day at the office for guys how make $300,000+ a year to work for 16 weeks.

Seriously, they suck.

broncosteven
12-27-2009, 07:18 PM
The worst was the phantom "hands to the face" on Woodyard.

I'm not a big "blame it on the refs" guy, but geesh... at least come close to getting it right if you're going to change the course of a game.

I think the worst was when the Ref's signalled touchdown on that 47 yard TD pass to Celek on 3rd down. There should be a penalty for a dude that wide open.

SportinOne
12-27-2009, 07:24 PM
How about this. If the Eagles don't commit two penalties after the interception they aren't backed up to their 1 yard line. Or, if the Eagles return man doesn't fumble we aren't even in the ball game. Or, if Orton doesn't go down every time he gets tapped on the shoulder, maybe we convert more 3rd downs.

You know what? It doesn't matter. We lost, that's what ACTUALLY HAPPENED. We failed to capitalize on their mistakes and we made too many mistakes ourselves.

tsiguy96
12-27-2009, 07:30 PM
You know what? It doesn't matter. We lost, that's what ACTUALLY HAPPENED. We failed to capitalize on their mistakes and we made too many mistakes ourselves.

i agree with this, we should have had this game put away. but fact is, this ref crew was looking to throw flags all day long. they picked up 3 or 4 because they couldnt find a penalty.

Gort
12-27-2009, 07:37 PM
i agree with this, we should have had this game put away. but fact is, this ref crew was looking to throw flags all day long. they picked up 3 or 4 because they couldnt find a penalty.

refs can call PI or holding on any play. it's always there. somebody is always guilty. so a few flags thrown at strategic times or not thrown and you can change the outcome of a game. the NFL knows this. the refs know this. the mob knows this. if you think the mob can compromise the NBA and not the NFL, think again. i've had my suspicions dating all the way back to SB #3. no 2 teams ever play a fair and square game in this day and age. one team will always get calls that the other will not (e.g. NE, INDY, PIT) and some teams will get calls against them just because of their reputation (OAK, BAL). thta's just the way it is (IMHO) and you hope to overcome it. when SF was a dominant team in the leagues during the 80's and 90's, they would get so many calls it was unbelievable. they knew it too. you'd sometimes see them laughing about their good fortune at having the refs in their back pocket. the NFL has franchise that are the face of the league. they want those franchises to succeed. sucks if you're not one of them, but it's great when you are.

Tombstone RJ
12-27-2009, 07:44 PM
In this game, I think the Broncos had like 6 penalties in a row before the iggles got one penalty. And, as WIJG points out, you can call a holding on just about any play so why call ticky-tack fouls on the Broncos but not on the iggles? It's BS.

Bronco Bob
12-27-2009, 10:59 PM
We didn't do enough to win the game.

That said the refs did all they could to make calls on third down to extend and end drives all game. They had a huge impact in the result today.

I'm surprised no one has said anything about Stokley's ejection.
This is a preposterous call. Refs are so often self-obsessed narcissists
who have no ability to separate themselves from the game and makes
calls that make sense. They are constantly trying to make themselves
the focus and stand up for something. The ref knew dam well that it
was an accident; he just wanted to prove his point. By being a petty
jerk with a point to prove, he removed an important contributor from
a team fighting for the playoffs in a crucial game. Absurd and ridiculous.
When is the NFL going to start holding its officials as accountable as it
holds its players? It cheapens the game when ludicrous calls like this
are made and no consequences come of it. It's pathetic, petty, and
simply unfair.

bronco militia
12-27-2009, 11:19 PM
the ravens steelers game was worse

bronco militia
12-27-2009, 11:20 PM
simply unfair.

you can't touch the ref, period.

hey stokes, catch the ball or get your ass back to the sidelines.....your run rant half way down the field was embarrassing enough

Popps
12-27-2009, 11:27 PM
Yea, it may have been petty... but Brandon knows better. He's usually the brains of our operation out there. It just looked like frustration, to me.

Too bad. We could have used him.

bronco militia
12-27-2009, 11:28 PM
Yea, it may have been petty... but Brandon knows better. He's usually the brains of our operation out there. It just looked like frustration, to me.

Too bad. We could have used him.

he was the last player I'd expect this from

broncocalijohn
12-27-2009, 11:29 PM
the refs were paid $19,365.92.
Actually, $1687.50. Average salary is $27000 with 16 games (maybe one game off). Refs werent paid anything more for sucking out loud.

houghtam
12-28-2009, 12:15 AM
you can't touch the ref, period.

hey stokes, catch the ball or get your ass back to the sidelines.....your run rant half way down the field was embarrassing enough

Would have been funny if Marshall ran all the way down and stopped him.

ZachKC
12-28-2009, 12:28 AM

Every thread you have ever written is ****ing terrible.

Broncos4tw
12-28-2009, 12:28 AM
1. Stokes was right to get ejected. I don't think he was trying to hit his hand, but you can't quibble, or it opens a can of worms. Touch the ref in anger, you are gone, they can't afford to make exceptions. HOWEVER.. had they called his mugging a PI like it should have been, that would have never happened.

2. We should have played a lot better, but that does not excuse horrible calls. It most certainly can change the outcome of a game entirely. PI on Champ? You gotta be kidding me, I don't think he even touched him. You have to let them play the game. Phantom penalties, no holding calls repeatedly (well, on them), hands to the face... you kidding me? It was a terrible job, and yes, it did change the flow of the game.

3. That catch was most certainly a catch.. and a damn fine one. That was amazing, and I don't know why people are b****ing about it. If that were Marshall, you'd be up in arms if they called it incomplete. He showed amazing control and sense of awareness by keeping feet in, holding onto the ball, and coming down with it. That was a spectacular catch.

ZachKC
12-28-2009, 12:30 AM
refs can call PI or holding on any play. it's always there. somebody is always guilty. so a few flags thrown at strategic times or not thrown and you can change the outcome of a game. the NFL knows this. the refs know this. the mob knows this. if you think the mob can compromise the NBA and not the NFL, think again. i've had my suspicions dating all the way back to SB #3. no 2 teams ever play a fair and square game in this day and age. one team will always get calls that the other will not (e.g. NE, INDY, PIT) and some teams will get calls against them just because of their reputation (OAK, BAL). thta's just the way it is (IMHO) and you hope to overcome it. when SF was a dominant team in the leagues during the 80's and 90's, they would get so many calls it was unbelievable. they knew it too. you'd sometimes see them laughing about their good fortune at having the refs in their back pocket. the NFL has franchise that are the face of the league. they want those franchises to succeed. sucks if you're not one of them, but it's great when you are.

Touch the ref in anger and you are gone. That is all there is to it.

ZachKC
12-28-2009, 12:31 AM
Oh ****, someone said the same exact thing right before me. lol

tsiguy96
12-28-2009, 12:36 AM
1. Stokes was right to get ejected. I don't think he was trying to hit his hand, but you can't quibble, or it opens a can of worms. Touch the ref in anger, you are gone, they can't afford to make exceptions. HOWEVER.. had they called his mugging a PI like it should have been, that would have never happened.

2. We should have played a lot better, but that does not excuse horrible calls. It most certainly can change the outcome of a game entirely. PI on Champ? You gotta be kidding me, I don't think he even touched him. You have to let them play the game. Phantom penalties, no holding calls repeatedly (well, on them), hands to the face... you kidding me? It was a terrible job, and yes, it did change the flow of the game.

3. That catch was most certainly a catch.. and a damn fine one. That was amazing, and I don't know why people are b****ing about it. If that were Marshall, you'd be up in arms if they called it incomplete. He showed amazing control and sense of awareness by keeping feet in, holding onto the ball, and coming down with it. That was a spectacular catch.

forgot about the 41 yard PI called on champ, didnt even touch the receiver. i truly think that some teams get calls and others dont, maybe its subconscious and maybe its because teh refs are looking to give a team calls, i dont know, but it IS there. doom has been getting held ALL year, every single game we bitch about it, why does it never get called? because hes smaller and its expected hell get held?

Broncos4tw
12-28-2009, 12:43 AM
As many players and coaches say, there is holding on EVERY PLAY. It happens. And when you are playing away, to a team who is currently "blessed" by the NFL, calls tend to go their way. You know.. I'm ok with that, as far as holding calls go. It's happened in our favor in Denver in the past.

The issue I have is with huge calls that change the momentum of the game. Penalties for things we didn't even do. Huge PI calls that were ridiculous. Hands to the face? Whatever. Calls that keep drives going. Hell, one entire Eagle drive was kept alive solely on the legs of penalties. They handed them a touchdown. Very sickening to watch, I was getting so POd.

BroncoLifer
12-28-2009, 01:02 AM
forgot about the 41 yard PI called on champ, didnt even touch the receiver.

I don't like it, but the call on Champ was a good one. He never looked back for the ball and raised his hands in front of the receiver's face --- i.e. face guarding. By rule, that is PI. I would re-write that rule but that's how it is written.

Broncos4tw
12-28-2009, 01:07 AM
Um.. what is face guarding? That's a new one to me. Here is the official ruling on PI:

Actions that constitute defensive pass interference include but are not limited to:

(a) Contact by a defender who is not playing the ball and such contact restricts the receiver’s opportunity to make the catch.

(b) Playing through the back of a receiver in an attempt to make a play on the ball.

(c) Grabbing a receiver’s arm(s) in such a manner that restricts his opportunity to catch a pass.

(d) Extending an arm across the body of a receiver thus restricting his ability to catch a pass, regardless of whether the defender is playing the ball.

(e) Cutting off the path of a receiver by making contact with him without playing the ball.

(f) Hooking a receiver in an attempt to get to the ball in such a manner that it causes the receiver’s body to turn prior to the ball arriving.

Sorry.. don't see anything about face-guarding. If he did not touch him, it is not PI. You can absolutely shove your hand in front of a receivers face, as long as you don't touch him. The key is contact. If there was none (and I don't think there was), there was no PI.

ZONA
12-28-2009, 01:10 AM

I think the refs got paid their normal paychecks, to answer your question. Maybe a few bad calls but I didn't think this was even close to a badly called game.

Broncos4tw
12-28-2009, 01:12 AM
I think it was a very badly called game in the first half, and a moderately badly called game in the second. How in the hell do you call penalties for things that didn't even happen?

boltaneer
12-28-2009, 01:16 AM
My .02 from a non-Bronco fan POV:

I watched the game today and I thought there were two "bad" calls:

One was the hands to the face call on Celek. But you actually see ticky-tack calls like this called every now and then. It sucks but it happens.

The other was the non PI/holding call on the Stokley play. However, his ejection was completely appropriate IMO. Players will never stop whining about things but this is the perfect example of why you just need to walk to the bench and let it go. You're not going to do anything to change the mind of the ref so why even waste your energy and let your emotions do something stupid like this.

I thought the PI on Bailey was the right call. He did not play the ball at all on that play. The Maclin catch at the end of the game was a spectacular catch. Got the two feet down with possession of the ball. No doubt about that one.

On the Broncos side, I thought there was a missed offsides call on Dumervil on the play he sacked McNabb and caused the fumble. There were a few missed/bad calls during the game but nothing out of the ordinary IMO. In the end, the game didn't hinge on those calls. Both teams had plenty of chances to win the game before the Eagles did on that last drive.

Just like the Colts game, Denver gets blown out early on the road but fights back and almost pulls off the upset. I'll say it again, I was impressed.

ZONA
12-28-2009, 01:17 AM

I don't know about this one. If I'm a ref and I just blew an obvious call, I might be more relaxed about the player complaining. And I certainly would have realized Stokes was just swinging his had at the air as he was turning and it just so happened to touch the refs finger. Call the unsportsmanlike conduct but ejecting him was so weak. Grow a sack you suck ass ref. Somebody call the front office of the league, Stokes just touched the refs finger.

Broncos4tw
12-28-2009, 01:24 AM
I doubt that ref said a thing. He didn't look pissed. I imagine in the replay they saw he touched him, and said "ejection." He walked up to the ref yelling. He swung his arm out in anger. He hit his hand. I was exceptionally pissed off when they ejected him, but at the same time, I knew why, and understand why. They can't afford to make exceptions. Otherwise more "accidental" contact issues could become a reality. Bad luck on Stokes part, but there is a zero-tolerance rule for a reason. Most of those players could snap a ref in two, if they wanted.

As far as the PI call went: bull****. The rule is cut and dry. There is no magical rule that states if you don't play the ball and the receiver doesn't catch it, it's automatically PI. He did not touch the player (far as I could tell replaying it several times - arm went between the receivers arms, but there was no contact). No contact, no foul. Failing to see a ball coming in is not grounds for a penalty.

Taco John
12-28-2009, 01:26 AM
Hard to get worked up about the refs when we can't stop a 3rd an 25 that their quarterback picks up plus 2 with his feet.

Taco John
12-28-2009, 01:29 AM
I wonder how I could get a job as a local referee for HS games?

ZONA
12-28-2009, 01:29 AM
simply unfair.

I agree on this one. Call the penalty fine, but a good ref will understand that the game is about the players and that's who the fans pay money to go see. A good ref is going to understand there was no intention of the player trying to touch him. Okay, I could see if Stokes accidentally swung his hand and struck the ref in the chest or face, but cmon, he barely even got his fingertip.

ZachKC
12-28-2009, 01:31 AM
I wonder how I could get a job as a local referee for HS games?

There is a lot of opportunity especially with there being Varsity, JV, and Freshman games. In Missouri you would go through the Missouri State High School Activities Association. They are the governing body of all the HS sports and deal with the officials as well.

houghtam
12-28-2009, 01:36 AM
Um.. what is face guarding? That's a new one to me. Here is the official ruling on PI:

Actions that constitute defensive pass interference include but are not limited to:

(a) Contact by a defender who is not playing the ball and such contact restricts the receiverís opportunity to make the catch.

(b) Playing through the back of a receiver in an attempt to make a play on the ball.

(c) Grabbing a receiverís arm(s) in such a manner that restricts his opportunity to catch a pass.

(d) Extending an arm across the body of a receiver thus restricting his ability to catch a pass, regardless of whether the defender is playing the ball.

(e) Cutting off the path of a receiver by making contact with him without playing the ball.

(f) Hooking a receiver in an attempt to get to the ball in such a manner that it causes the receiverís body to turn prior to the ball arriving.

Sorry.. don't see anything about face-guarding. If he did not touch him, it is not PI. You can absolutely shove your hand in front of a receivers face, as long as you don't touch him. The key is contact. If there was none (and I don't think there was), there was no PI.

Yeah, sorry. Faceguarding was legislated out about 10 years ago, I believe. I think it was right around the time when they went back to instant replay after not having it for awhile, IIRC.

Broncos4tw
12-28-2009, 08:45 AM
I agree on this one. Call the penalty fine, but a good ref will understand that the game is about the players and that's who the fans pay money to go see. A good ref is going to understand there was no intention of the player trying to touch him. Okay, I could see if Stokes accidentally swung his hand and struck the ref in the chest or face, but cmon, he barely even got his fingertip.

That's the point.. he DID swing his arm in anger. It wasn't accidental. Players bump the refs all the time, even knock them over. If it's an accident, there is obviously no call. When you approach a ref yelling, and swing your arm in anger, yea.. even hitting your hand against his is going to get you ejected, 100% of the time.

I don't agree at all with the situation that led to that... just one of many reffing inconsistancies, but that was a legitimate reason to eject him.