PDA

View Full Version : OT : usb 2.0 question

Boobs McGee
12-26-2009, 11:45 PM
So, just bought a new computer for christmas.

It's an asus, it's got 6 gigs of RAM, and a 2.6 gig pentium dual core processor.

Here's my question....

I've got my external hard drive plugged into a 2.0 usb port using what I ASSUME to be a standard 1.0 usb cable (not sure how to tell the difference), but my file transfers (about 80 gigs of music) seems only MODERATELY faster than my old comp, which had roughly a gig of memory and a 1.6 gig processor. I was looking online, and noticed that there are 2.0 usb cables for sale. In order to notice a difference, should I buy one of them?

Assuming i DO buy one, does the age of my external hard drive (where the music is located currently) matter? In other words, will there be compatibility issues, or since the usb is essentially just a highway for information, does it really matter...

Obviously, I L O V E this new comp. I can mulitask programs like a mother, windows 7 seems pretty sweet, and everything is much faster. except for these music transfers. I downloaded the newest 64 bit itunes, and it's taking just as long as it did before.

So, my main question....will a 2.0 usb make the difference here? And, does it matter what kind of external hard drive it's connected to, since I have 2.0 usb inputs on the new comp.

cheers and thanks

cory

Bronco Bob
12-27-2009, 12:02 AM
How old is your cable and hard drive? USB 2.0 came out in 2001, so unless
it is really old, it is probably USB 2.0. Anyway, it doesn't really matter if the
cable is USB 1.0 or 2.0. All a USB cable is, is 2 pairs of wire, one pair for
the power and one pair for the signal. So you probably won't notice a difference
if you buy one that says it's USB 2.0, and the one you have just might be a
USB 2.0 anyway.

Boobs McGee
12-27-2009, 12:14 AM
hmmmmm... I bought the external hd, like, 3 years ago? Not sure exactly how to check and find out if the cable is 2.0 or not.

i just remember, on my OLD comp, that whenever I'd plug anything usbish in, it would say "this device would perform faster with a 2.0".

So, now that i HAVE 2.0 ports, I thought I'd be seeing some miraculous change.

That's why I'm wondering about the cable...so, there's no difference between a standard usb cable and a 2.0 cable? The devices on each end SENDING the information are of main importance?

I guess, i thought it would be something like, 12 guage wire doesn't transfer as much juice as a 4 guage wire. is that the wrong line of thinking?

Bronco Bob
12-27-2009, 12:29 AM
hmmmmm... I bought the external hd, like, 3 years ago?

I suspect it is probably 2.0 then. I have one about 5 years old that is 2.0

Not sure exactly how to check and find out if the cable is 2.0 or not.

i just remember, on my OLD comp, that whenever I'd plug anything usbish in, it would say "this device would perform faster with a 2.0".

So, now that i HAVE 2.0 ports, I thought I'd be seeing some miraculous change.

That's why I'm wondering about the cable...so, there's no difference between a standard usb cable and a 2.0 cable? The devices on each end SENDING the information are of main importance?

Yes, that's is the main thing. A USB 1.0 and 2.0 can still talk to
each other, but, as expected, it is slower. In fact they are designed
to be backwards compatible to work with older equipment.

I guess, i thought it would be something like, 12 guage wire doesn't transfer as much juice as a 4 guage wire. is that the wrong line of thinking?

Well, we are talking milliamps here, so wire diameter isn't really important.
The important thing is not to have a USB cable more than 16 feet long,
as the signal is high speed and the time lag affects how the signal propagates.

Boobs McGee
12-27-2009, 12:41 AM
[QUOTE=Bronco Bob;2688972]
Yes, that's is the main thing. A USB 1.0 and 2.0 can still talk to
each other, but, as expected, it is slower. In fact they are designed
to be backwards compatible to work with older equipment.
QUOTE]

This is the part I'm really curious about. So if in fact my external hd IS a 1.0, would a 2.0 cable make a difference?

thanks in advance, I gotta hit the hay, but I'll check back tomorrow.

Go BRONCOS!

thanks again rob

Bronco Bob
12-27-2009, 01:30 AM
This is the part I'm really curious about. So if in fact my external hd IS a 1.0, would a 2.0 cable make a difference?

thanks in advance, I gotta hit the hay, but I'll check back tomorrow.

Go BRONCOS!

thanks again rob

If indeed your drive is a 1.0, a 2.0 cable won't help it.
If your drive is a 2.0, a 1.0 cable probably won't make
any noticeable difference. Cables are fairly cheap
though, if you really want a 2.0. But don't spend much
more than $5 on one. If they try to tell you a more
expensive one is better, they are just BS'ing you.

watermock
12-27-2009, 01:51 AM
I just swap out every election.

Untill the dollar crashes, backup and buy new.

No political statement.

A 65 SS 396 auto Impala with mods may be the best of all time, but the world of puters....it's month to month, they allready have the tech, they want to milk you.

Remember this.

wouldn't mind an Audi Quad tho....

watermock
12-27-2009, 02:07 AM
http://blogs.edmunds.com/greencaradvisor/assets_c/2009/12/etronPCH-thumb-640x320.jpg.

ZONA
12-27-2009, 03:08 AM
Looks like external hard drives are moving more towards eSATA instead of USB. It's much much faster, up to 6 times faster. There will still be a market for USB since those little thumb drives are handy and keyboards, mice, etc. But as for the drives that handle alot of data files, eSATA is the way to go. My next external is for sure going to be an eSATA drive and the next PC I build will have a motherboard that has an eSATA port on it. No more waiting on USB speeds. Still not going to be faster then an internal SATA 600 drive but it will be just as fast as an internal SATA 300 drive.

watermock
12-27-2009, 04:23 AM
How fast can cable go?

Pony Boy
12-27-2009, 07:27 AM
computer technology made easy