PDA

View Full Version : Urban Meyer Resigns

bombay
12-26-2009, 03:57 PM
Urban Meyer has announced that he'll leave Florida after their bowl game for 'health reasons'.

gunns
12-26-2009, 03:58 PM
Wow, I wonder what's wrong.

Requiem
12-26-2009, 03:58 PM
Probably nothing. Better coaching opportunity.

Kid A
12-26-2009, 03:59 PM
Any info floating around about what it could be? Must be serious for him to need to walk away.

Terrible news. Really young guy, easily one of the best coaches in all of sports right now.

cabronco
12-26-2009, 04:00 PM
Werent they trying to get Shanahan at one point & time ?

bombay
12-26-2009, 04:01 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4772952 (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4772952)

Urban Meyer is stepping down as coach of the Florida football team, athletics director Jeremy Foley announced Saturday afternoon in a release.

"I have given my heart and soul to coaching <NOBR>college (http://www.tippingpitchers.com/showthread.php?t=75138#)</NOBR> football and mentoring young men for the last 24-plus years and I have dedicated most of my waking moments the last five years to the Gator football program," Meyer said in statement. "I have ignored my health for years, but recent developments have forced me to re-evaluate my priorities of faith and family.

"After consulting with my family, Dr. Machen, Jeremy Foley and my doctors, I believe it is in my best interest to step aside and focus on my health and family.

"I'm proud to be a part of the Gainesville community and the Gator Nation and I plan to remain in Gainesville and involved with the <NOBR>University (http://www.tippingpitchers.com/showthread.php?t=75138#)</NOBR> of Florida.

"I'm very appreciative for the opportunity I've had to be a part of a tremendous institution - from Dr. Machen to Jeremy Foley and the entire administrative staff at UF. I'm also very thankful for the chance to work with some of the best assistants in college football and coach some of the best college football players and watch them grow both on and off the field as people. I will cherish the relationships with them the most."

Meyer will coach his last game for Florida against Cincinnati on Jan. 1 at the Sugar Bowl.

Doggcow
12-26-2009, 04:01 PM
Crazy. Sucks for UF Football.

Kid A
12-26-2009, 04:03 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4772952

"I have given my heart and soul to coaching college football and mentoring young men for the last 24-plus years and I have dedicated most of my waking moments the last five years to the Gator football program," Meyer said in statement. "I have ignored my health for years, but recent developments have forced me to re-evaluate my priorities of faith and family."

Weird. Doesn't sound like anything sudden like cancer. If it is something chronic that he has ignored due to the workload I still respect the decision. Best of luck whatever it is, but I have a hard time believing he can stay away from the game too long if he gets his health back in check.

Doggcow
12-26-2009, 04:04 PM
You know the ********** that bailed on Cinci is probably pissed he left for so early ****ball Notre Dame at this point when he could have been in the running for a quality program.

I think it's good though, that douche is a piece of **** for bailing on his team, which he promised to be there for every day and in recruiting, in the biggest game of their programs history.

peacepipe
12-26-2009, 04:04 PM
Health reasons? this doesn't pass the smell test.

Kid A
12-26-2009, 04:06 PM
I remember Tom Osborne surprised lots of people by retiring several years earlier than anyone anticipated ( and given he's severed in Congress and become our AD since, he probably still could be doing it). Still, that was a much older man with a history of serious heart problems. This is a true shocker.

Kid A
12-26-2009, 04:09 PM

I give him the benefit of any doubt unless he does bolt for an NFL job in the next year or so. I just don't see how he could be doing it as a career move: there is no better situation in college ball for him, and surely he has seen enough from Saban, Spurrier, Patrino to know a jump to the pros is usually a disaster.

Being a HC of a big-time program is an enormously time-consuming, energy-sucking job. The hours are insane, the pressure more so. I can easily buy him needing to leave if there are any health concerns.

Kid A
12-26-2009, 04:10 PM
Or maybe he just knows it's all downhill for his program post-Tebow. ;)

bombay
12-26-2009, 04:14 PM
Maybe Shanny will take another ride on the Gators' jet.

Tombstone RJ
12-26-2009, 04:22 PM
Very strange... maybe he just needs a break.

backup qb
12-26-2009, 04:45 PM
Werent they trying to get Shanahan at one point & time ?

Yes they did. I can't remember what year it was but I know they played at Indy the last game of the year and got drilled cuz I was there. Griese was still qb. It may have been 2001 or 2002. Shanny is close friends with Jeremy Foley, the AD.

backup qb
12-26-2009, 04:47 PM
If the guy was having chest pains at 45 and felt the need to step down then it must be severe. I will give him the benefit of the doubt as well. If the report is true then kudos to him for putting himself and family ahead of the game. Now time to update my resume and send to the Florida AD.

Pool
12-26-2009, 05:07 PM
Heart muscle defect per ESPN. Been to hospital numberous time since SEC game.

The Moops
12-26-2009, 05:08 PM
Wow, I could see Shanahan being interested in this job. He has ties to Florida and he's already won it all on the pro level. Florida would pay him a pro salary and his hours would be half as much . . .

Popps
12-26-2009, 05:33 PM

Wouldn't surprise me at all. He was reportedly pretty interested in that gig.

I don't know what kind of college coach he'd make, though.

OBF1
12-26-2009, 05:34 PM
This is huge news in the college football world. I hope all is well for Urban, they guy has been a great head coach.

El Minion
12-26-2009, 05:35 PM
http://twitter.com/PeteThamelNYT

Bud Meyer said Urban was hospitalized for chest pains after the SEC title game. That started this ball rolling.

Bud Meyer: He just said that his doctors told him he was making himself a high risk for heart problems. He doesn’t take losing very well."

Meyer's dad just told me Urban isn't going anywhere else to coach soon. "He doesn’t want to die because he wants to raise his family. "

Urban Meyer stepped down as UF's coach for health reasons. He's not in the hospital . Doesn't have a disease. A stress and lifestyle issue.

OBF1
12-26-2009, 05:36 PM
Wow, I could see Shanahan being interested in this job. He has ties to Florida and he's already won it all on the pro level. Florida would pay him a pro salary and his hours would be half as much . . .

Where do you think working at a top notch college football powerhouse as the head football coach would require half as many hours? The only difference is that some of the kids would accept coaching where at the pro level many of the players are uncoachable.

Bronx33
12-26-2009, 05:41 PM
who names a kid urban?

lex
12-26-2009, 05:43 PM
who names a kid urban?

Whats wrong with Urban?

Bronx33
12-26-2009, 05:46 PM
Whats wrong with Urban?

Guess its good his last name wasn't cowboy.

theAPAOps5
12-26-2009, 05:47 PM
We now know where Shanny will be coaching.

OBF1
12-26-2009, 05:50 PM
Nick.... get rid of the damn Huggie picture, it is real disturbing and creeping me out.

Bronx33
12-26-2009, 05:52 PM
lmao!

theAPAOps5
12-26-2009, 06:07 PM
Nick.... get rid of the damn Huggie picture, it is real disturbing and creeping me out.

LOL I don't have Avy's turned on and forgot all about it. I am traveling, when I get home I will change it for you!

cutthemdown
12-26-2009, 06:14 PM
Shanny can throw his name in and start a good bidding war I think. FLA weather I bet sounds good to the tanned shanny.

SouthStndJunkie
12-26-2009, 06:17 PM
Urban Meyer will be coaching again within 2 years....it's in his blood....he won't be able to stay away from the game.

watermock
12-26-2009, 06:26 PM
I like the Avatar. It suits you.

As far as Urban goes, he's a great coach. He just got owned by Saban.

He'll be fine....

watermock
12-26-2009, 06:27 PM
And the bidding war starts....

SoCalBronco
12-26-2009, 07:19 PM

Actually, it does. Meyer was admitted to the hospital on the night of the SECCG with supposed "dehydration". There have been some things that have been posted on UM and FSU boards since then where various sources suggested he really had a heart attack. I don't know if that's accurate....but I do know he did go to the hospital when they returned to Gainesville that night.

As a rival coach, I don't like Meyer for obvious reasons, but I do hope nothing but the best for him in terms of his health. That's the #1 thing in life. He has take care of that.

rastaman
12-26-2009, 08:13 PM

Sorry Shanny isn't into baby sitting and dealing with all pitfalls of recruiting and the communist NCAA rules committee and threats of probation, etc.

Besides Shanny wants to still prove he can gtet it done and win again in the NFL.:sunshine:

ro_50
12-26-2009, 08:41 PM
As a lifelong fan of Auburn and someone who's been around SEC football as a fan and media member, I hope Urban Meyer the best after his resignation.

This is not about another job or anything like that. He was never going to leave Florida for another job. He was in the hospital after the SEC championship and I've been around college basketball coaches, I can't imagine how much work and drive it takes to be a successful college football coach.

Its a 24-hour, 365-day job and especially in the Deep South, where college football reigns supreme in terms of pressure and constant media attention.

More power to him: he's young, rich and wants to spend time w/ his family. Nothing wrong w/ that.

Pony Boy
12-26-2009, 10:08 PM
Let me be the first to say it "Bob Stoops to Florida"...... it comes up every time a top coaching job come up.

Bronco LB52
12-27-2009, 12:59 AM
Let me be the first to say it "Bob Stoops to Florida"...... it comes up every time a top coaching job come up.

In this case, it actually might be a legit possibility. Stoops was a former defensive coordinator at Florida and he had a chance to take the position when Steve Spurrier departed after the 2001 season.

watermock
12-27-2009, 03:08 AM
Saban kicked his ass and he folded...Ha!

Nick Saban Rules, just like Mock said!

Pony Boy
12-27-2009, 06:34 AM
Stoops, Petrino, Mullen all worth watching (http://espn.go.com/blog/sec/post/_/id/7585/stoops-petrino-mullen-all-worth-watching)

The ESPN short list: http://espn.go.com/blog/SEC/post/_/id/7585/stoops-petrino-mullen-all-worth-watching

Tombstone RJ
12-27-2009, 06:36 AM
Saban kicked his ass and he folded...Ha!

Nick Saban Rules, just like Mock said!

Your a legend in your own mind :approve:

Tombstone RJ
12-27-2009, 06:38 AM
Good for Urban to realize what is important in life--his relationship with God and his family.

Once his daughters grow up and start their own families, I bet Urban will be healthy enough to coach again. Also, I doubt he'll go back to a big time college simply because of the stress involved. He's made millions at FL and he doesn't need $. I'm betting he'll go to a smaller school and start coaching again simply for the joy of it.

Hogan11
12-27-2009, 06:44 AM
As a Bulldog fan, I'm liking this news...best of luck Urbie :thumbs:

BroncoDoug
12-27-2009, 11:06 AM
now they are saying he isn't going to resign, just take a leave of absence

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4774134

Pony Boy
12-27-2009, 11:36 AM
now they are saying he isn't going to resign, just take a leave of absence

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4774134

Maybe he will go hang out with Tiger....:~ohyah!: