PDA

View Full Version : Broncos' focus is on beating the Eagles

Bronco Rob
12-26-2009, 06:20 AM
Broncos' focus is on beating the Eagles

By Mike Klis
The Denver Post
Posted: 12/26/2009 01:00:00 AM MST

Broncos' focus is on beating the EaglesBefore Broncos fans watch their team play Sunday afternoon at Philadelphia, perhaps they should know who to pull for in the early games.

Just in case, you know, the Broncos don't beat the Eagles.

Specifically, it will be in the Broncos' playoff interest if host New England defeats Jacksonville, visiting Houston takes care of Miami and Baltimore upsets host Pittsburgh.

Jacksonville, Miami and Pittsburgh have the tiebreaking edge on the Broncos for an AFC wild-card playoff spot given a final-record tiebreaker scenario of 9-7 records by multiple teams.

The New York Jets and Houston Texans also can finish 9-7 but are not much of a tiebreaking threat to the Broncos.

But who's thinking 9-7? The Broncos aren't. Before going too far, the 8-6 Broncos are guaranteed an AFC wild-card spot if they win their final two games Sunday at 10-4 Philadelphia, and the following week against 3-11 Kansas City at Invesco Field at Mile High.

But are the Broncos aware of the playoff tiebreaking possibilities if they should . . .

"No," Broncos coach Josh McDaniels said. "All I know is if we win twice, we'll play a third time."

With two AFC wild-card spots available, the Ravens and the Broncos can bring simplicity and calm to the complicated playoff chaos by winning out. That would give them each a 10-6 record and doom the five 7-7 teams to the grimacing fate of waiting until next year.

What all those seven-and-sevens are counting on, though, is for either Baltimore or the Broncos to lose one of their final two games. Baltimore owns the tiebreaker over the Broncos because of head-to-head play. Pittsburgh and Miami play each other in the final week, so if they both win their respective games this week, one of them will finish 9-7 (barring the remote possibility of a tie).

Because Miami and Pittsburgh, and for that matter Baltimore and Jacksonville, are all playing early games Sunday, the Broncos may learn by kickoff in Philadelphia that they have no choice but to beat the heavily favored Eagles if they are to make the playoffs.

Which is fine by the Broncos because they're taking a win-or-else approach to the Eagles' game, anyway.

"There will be no bullet that we leave in the chamber," McDaniels said. "We've got to win. It's so crazy trying to figure all of (the playoff tiebreaking scenarios) right now that I think we're better off focusing on Philly and see what happens."

http://www.denverpost.com/premium/broncos/ci_14071532#ixzz0anwif7T6

RonDaChamp24
12-26-2009, 07:23 AM
Great article. Thanks for posting.

lex
12-26-2009, 07:45 AM
Meh.

Lindsay Jones > Mike Klis

I wasnt really expecting to see Mike Klis doing the stories about the ovious and Jones doing the more thoughtful/insightful stories.

NYBronco
12-26-2009, 10:45 AM
Our focus needs to be a little better then a week ago.

DenverBrit
12-26-2009, 12:58 PM

As opposed to looking past the Eagles? ;D

SonOfLe-loLang
12-26-2009, 03:46 PM

As opposed to looking past the Eagles? ;D

Thats the job of the OrangeMane.

Doggcow
12-26-2009, 04:05 PM
Thank god.

BTW What the **** else is a professional football team supposed to focus on? Other than Stabbing skanks and knocking back Jack?

orange 4 life
12-26-2009, 10:13 PM
I posted this in another thread, but in a THREE team tiebreaker, I'm not sure how pitt has the edge on us given their awful AFC record.

Also, the article says that we could know (after the morning games) if we HAVE to beat the Eagles.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm also not seeing any scenario that would ELIMINATE us if we lose to philly.

Jake

Dagmar
12-26-2009, 11:35 PM
I posted this in another thread, but in a THREE team tiebreaker, I'm not sure how pitt has the edge on us given their awful AFC record.

Also, the article says that we could know (after the morning games) if we HAVE to beat the Eagles.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm also not seeing any scenario that would ELIMINATE us if we lose to philly.

Jake

Pretty sure it has been well documented on here, if we lose to Philly and beat KC most scenarios have us in the playoffs, SD beating Ten was step one. Maybe I am wrong but at the start of the week there was about 5 or 6 threads dedicated to the fact. At 2pm MST tomorrow we'll have a really good idea I think.

Of course, had we beat those scrubs last week this would all be moo.

Moo point. A cows opinion. It wouldn't matter...

Pontius Pirate
12-27-2009, 07:18 AM
This just in: the Denver broncos are focused on beating their opponent this week. More hard hitting news at eleven

Bronco Rob
12-27-2009, 11:19 AM
great article. Thanks for posting.

8')