PDA

View Full Version : Kiper Regrading the 2009 NFL draft

Denver724
12-23-2009, 05:29 PM
Insider info from espn.com. Packers have the best regrade with a straight A. Of course, the Raiders have the worst with a D-.

Denver Broncos (Spring grade: C)
Knowshon Moreno was a curious pick, and he's really only been productive because they've insisted on giving him carries. You don't see the star potential you want out of a first-round RB. I questioned the trade of a future first-rounder for Alphonso Smith then -- and it looks worse now. Not a bad draft, but not at all an impactful one.
Current grade: C

OBF1
12-23-2009, 05:38 PM
Pretty much a fair grade. Nothing great.

peacepipe
12-23-2009, 08:40 PM
Can't say that I disagree.

ZONA
12-23-2009, 08:44 PM
I give the Broncos an A on this draft. A as in Average.............hahahaha.

Man-Goblin
12-23-2009, 09:09 PM
There's been a lot of revisionist history going around about the Smith trade.

The fact is, many of the draft experts LOVED him coming out of school, and a lot of the criticism was based on the Broncos giving up a 'for sure top ten pick!!!!11' in the '10 draft.

Well, it looks like now the Broncos traded down 12-16 spots to get a player a lot of people had in high regard. It may be a mistake, but it certainly doesn't sound as stupid as those who cried bloody murder when the Broncos didn't insist that Seattle take the Bears' pick in the deal.

By the way, what kind of message would that have sent to this years' team, who have tried their asses off and performed admirably??

I'm not happy about the trade either, at this point, but it really doesn't look as bad as many think. Let's wait a while before we make that judgement.

Durango
12-24-2009, 01:29 AM
It's a fair grade as of this moment. I wasn't pleased with the Moreno pick, but, at the time, I believed the Ayers selection was a good one so i can't complain. I have hope that Ayers will mature and produce. At he very least he has shown flashes, unlike Jarvis Moss. My God what an awful pick that was. Franchise shaking really, and sacrificing a third rounder for the trade up to boot. I sincerely hope this Smith kid grows into the job. At this moment, that looks just as hideous a draft pick as Jarvis Moss, but at least he's a rookie and it's only fair to give him some time to grow into one of the most difficult positions in football.

orinjkrush
12-24-2009, 08:03 AM
looks worse if you factor in the woulda's coulda's

we coulda had Orakpo and Lauriniatis.

and even Stephen Jackson and Ed REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEED.

we really need to plus up our talent evaluators, doncha think?

Tombstone RJ
12-24-2009, 08:27 AM
Essspin is just crap. Why anyone takes anything they say seriously is beyond me.

The draft, lets take a look:

1. Moreno was considered the best RB in the draft, period. Not only that, he was the best RB in the SEC and what many considered a "game changer." Now, all of a sudden, he ain't all that because he has not rushed for 1500 yards and 10 TDs. All I have to say is WTF? National media outlets like esssspin try to spin it that he's a bad pick because everyone knows you just plug and play in the Broncos running game system. What esssspin wants to ignore is that this offense is in a complete transition and that the entire offense is struggling, including the oline!

2. Ayers is a project and is part of a new defensive system which is transitioning from a base 4-3 to a base 3-4. Analysts like Mike Mayock knew he would take some time but that he has trememdous upside. Ayers is getting playing time and he is part of the new plan under Nolan and McD. He's a pick that may not be all that great right now, but in a year or two, he could be the best OLB in the game.

3. Smith was considered the best CB in the draft (not the best all round defensive back, but the best CB). The Broncos have the deepest secondary in the NFL and for whatever reason, Smith has not been able to consistently stay on the field. Is this because he is overwhelmed by the speed of the game and the complexity of the defense? Who knows? The point is he still can become a ligitimate starting CB on this team and it will be through coaching that he will achieve his potential. As for the pick that the Broncos gave up, I will argue that they got first round talent at a second round price and yes, they had to give up a late first round pick to get Smith. The jury is still out on how all of this will pan out.

Beantown Bronco
12-24-2009, 08:29 AM
Kiper should know better than to grade a draft less than one season after it occurred......but, then again, he also grades them less than a week after they occur....so I guess not.

Rohirrim
12-24-2009, 08:35 AM
See ya in a couple of years, Mel.

TonyR
12-24-2009, 09:44 AM
1. Moreno was considered the best RB in the draft, period.

Yep, and it was also widely rumored that both Philly and SD, among others, loved him. I'm in the Phila media market and it was reported here prior to the draft that he would have been the pick if there when they selected.

TheDave
12-24-2009, 09:52 AM
Just not a lot to show for this years draft... yet.

hopefully these players develop during the offseason.

bloodsunday
12-24-2009, 10:09 AM
When teams rely on rookies to make an impact,that's usually a bad sign. We got lucky last year with Clady, Royal, and Co. or last year's team would have been awful.

When I think about how realistic it is for a draft class to make an IMMEDIATE impact a few things come to mind:
1) These are 20 - 22 year old kids that are used to dominating against other kids that are 18 - 20 years old. Now they are playing against GROWN MEN that play this game for a living. It's not easy to just show up on an NFL field and dominate, no matter where you were selected.

2) I saw an interview with Ray Rice and they asked him how he's become so productive in his second NFL season after being pretty much a non-factor his rookie year. He explained that the draft process has caused college players to spend their off season training for the combine -- e.g. getting better combine stats -- instead of preparing to play football. It's nice that a guy can run a shuttle cone drill in 4.8 seconds instead of 4.9, but what does that have to do with an NFL game? He said that he spent his second off season preparing to play football -- watching film, learning the systems, gaining weight so he could endure, etc... and it's really paid off.

3) These guys are not used to playing 20 games in one season. Is it really surprising that maybe Moreno isn't as fresh as a player that's used to the NFL grind?

4) Some guys are projected out of position. The Broncos drafted Ayers to play OLB, but he played most of his time in college with hand on the ground. Is it really reasonable to expect him to be a 12 sack guy in year 1?

bap454
12-24-2009, 02:45 PM
link please on whole premium article...

baja
12-24-2009, 04:13 PM
There's been a lot of revisionist history going around about the Smith trade.

The fact is, many of the draft experts LOVED him coming out of school, and a lot of the criticism was based on the Broncos giving up a 'for sure top ten pick!!!!11' in the '10 draft.

Well, it looks like now the Broncos traded down 12-16 spots to get a player a lot of people had in high regard. It may be a mistake, but it certainly doesn't sound as stupid as those who cried bloody murder when the Broncos didn't insist that Seattle take the Bears' pick in the deal.

<b>By the way, what kind of message would that have sent to this years' team, who have tried their asses off and performed admirably?? </b>

I'm not happy about the trade either, at this point, but it really doesn't look as bad as many think. Let's wait a while before we make that judgement.

I've pointed this out several times over the course of the season. I can't believe how short sighted some of the posters here are.

barryr
12-24-2009, 05:59 PM
The anti-McDaniels crowd has seeemingly decided that any draft pick that hasn't played at a great level his first year is a waste and aren't interested in giving them more time to develop.

I find it hilarious when anyone attaches "Slow" to Moreno. Yeah, he played in the SEC and put up big numbers and in a conference hardly known as having slow defenses. In fact, one can easily state the SEC always seems to have the most athletic, fast athletes playing defenses in that conference, but somehow Moreno putup big numbers being slow and like Sammy Winder. Yeah, makes a ton of sense.

Ayers is coming on and getting better. As I have stated many times, he was a late bloomer in college, so stood to reason the same for the NFL.

Smith has been disappointing, but not every good or even great CB played great their rookie seasons. It's a tough position to play as a rookie, especially when you get sporadic playing time. Give the guy a chance.

Bruton is also showing some skill and ability, in special teams and even has played some on defense and making some plays. He would be a keeper.

McBath, before he got hurt, was showing things too.

For as many draft picks that didn't pan out during the Shanahan era, especially on defense, one wonders why some are so eager to dismiss players from this draft before they have even finished one season.

This silly hate McDaniels at all costs has really made some look foolish since it has warped their thinking to the point of not just being irrational, but not worth reading any more.