PDA

View Full Version : Am I the Only One?

cmhargrove
12-23-2009, 07:12 AM
Who is proud of this year's team?

I finally got to watch the Raiders game last night and it was a little disappointing to see our offense falter so badly, however...

There's always the thought of Bob Slowik as our DC, and not switching to the 3-4.
Probably not getting some difference makers like Fields, Davis, and Dawkins.
Watching Elvis die another year of defensive mediocrity.
And so on...

I'm pretty sure Shanahan and Cutler could have gained more yards and scored more points, but would they have won any more games than this team? I don't really like the trade for Alphonso Smith or the move up for Quinn, but otherwise we have drafted some difference makers that have helped this team win as rookies.

We have exceeded expectations already, and the season isn't over yet.
If we manage beat the Eagles and cap off the Chiefs a lot of people around here will be changing their tune.

This team has come a long way and I am excited to be a fan. It was worth every penny to take my family to the Thanksgiving game this year - and that wasn't cheap!

Anyway, our team and our head coach aren't perfect - but I get the feeling we will only get better with another year to build this entirely new team.

I'm sorry so many around here aren't enjoying this season, because I think it's been a blast to be a fan, despite the imperfections.

HAT
12-23-2009, 07:15 AM
:thumbs:

oubronco
12-23-2009, 07:19 AM
I'm with you I didn't like all the offseason moves and draft but I absolutely loved getting Dawkins

They have exceeded what i thought they would do and are in the fight for the playoffs

Go Broncos!!!

missingnumber7
12-23-2009, 07:23 AM
I like where this team is headed. I think a year under McD's belt and a few more players that fit the system in places and another year for Nolan to solve some issues and I think we are a team to be reconed with next year.

gtown
12-23-2009, 07:23 AM
We did really well in FA, and the draft is what it always is: a crapshoot.

I am glad that we will finish at least 8-8. Nice seeing a real defense for once, and with a few astute FA pickups or draft picks we can make the offense good as well.

What really got me is the team showed effort in each game that I have seen.

missingnumber7
12-23-2009, 07:24 AM
And I don't by any means think that we are done this year at all. It just makes me more excited going into next year.

TailgateNut
12-23-2009, 07:31 AM
I'm sorry so many around here aren't enjoying this season, because I think it's been a blast to be a fan, despite the imperfections.

Why feel sorry for their miserable asses? Let them bask in their sorrow!

Mr.Meanie
12-23-2009, 07:57 AM

I finally got to watch the Raiders game last night and it was a little disappointing to see our offense falter so badly, however...

There's always the thought of Bob Slowik as our DC, and not switching to the 3-4.
And so on...

I'm pretty sure Shanahan and Cutler could have gained more yards and scored more points, but would they have won any more games than this team? I don't really like the trade for Alphonso Smith or the move up for Quinn, but otherwise we have drafted some difference makers that have helped this team win as rookies.

If we manage beat the Eagles and cap off the Chiefs a lot of people around here will be changing their tune.

This team has come a long way and I am excited to be a fan. It was worth every penny to take my family to the Thanksgiving game this year - and that wasn't cheap!

Anyway, our team and our head coach aren't perfect - but I get the feeling we will only get better with another year to build this entirely new team.

Nice post. Rep!

NFLBRONCO
12-23-2009, 08:03 AM
I am they exceeded what I expected in 09. I was hoping for more growth in some areas then we have gotten so far but, oh well. This team has alot of work ahead but, it will be fun to watch building process next few years.

brncs_fan
12-23-2009, 08:05 AM
Rep +2

I am much happier now with where this team is headed than I was last season. I thought it would take 3-4 years to get the defense turned around and we may now be able to do it in 2 years instead.

The offense isn't what I hoped it would be, but it is a new system with a rookie head coach who will work out the kinks. As a teacher I can relate to watching your best laid plans fall apart in front of you.

Broncoman13
12-23-2009, 08:23 AM

Not by a long shot. I'm extremely proud of this team. I recognize that we have a ton of new pieces and that we have a rookie HC working with a staff that he is still learning as well as players that he is still learning. I certainly don't agree with all of his moves, decisions, play calling, etc... but I have a ton of hope for the future due to the glimpses of greatness that I've seen thus far. I fully expect Coach JMac to learn and improve. He will only get better.

go_broncos
12-23-2009, 08:25 AM
I am not happy as we are 2-8 in the last 10 games.we are worse in 2nd half of the season.
I will be happy if we reach playoff's as Marshall, Doom can experience a playoff game.

I see that the defense is vastly improved.offense and it's playcalling
is worse compared to last year.

We never seem to involve TE,Stokley and Royal in Passing game.Most of the time, we run on 1st down.It's becoming predictable.

How can you not score TD's when you are in Red Zone.
Pathetic performance against Raiders.

If Mcd keeps calling these stupid plays, we are going to be average team.
Also, we all know that Moreno is not answer in short yardages(atleast this season), why not give chance to Hillis?.. Very stupid on Mcd's part and he is costing us games.

jhns
12-23-2009, 08:38 AM
Yes, you are the only one.

I like the direction of the team so far. If McDaniels gives Orton a big contract after this season I probably won't like the direction for long. If he shows that he wants a real QB, I will love what he is doing. I have this fear that he thinks he can make mediocre QBs look great like Shanny always settled for average skilled RBs(you can't convince me this isn't true, Cassel and Orton?). This scares me since QB is a much more important position. Other than this one thing, I think they have done a very good job. I question some other moves but I don't think they are bigger mistakes than some Shanny has made.

Paladin
12-23-2009, 08:47 AM
This message is hidden because jhns is on your ignore list (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/profile.php?do=ignorelist).

gunns
12-23-2009, 08:49 AM
I'm with you I didn't like all the offseason moves and draft but I absolutely loved getting Dawkins

They have exceeded what i thought they would do and are in the fight for the playoffs

Go Broncos!!!

This. When we picked up Dawkins I was excited to finally have an honest to God safety and just prayed he hadn't already played his best game. He has been the heart and soul of the defense and the improvement of the defense has delighted me more than anything this year. That being said, I am thankful that Orton has been able to maintain most games but his talent has a ceiling and I think we've seen that. It's one thing I hope for next year, a Brian Dawkins type QB. I'm excited about where we are at and for next year.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
12-23-2009, 08:51 AM
I am not happy as we are 2-8 in the last 10 games.

We're not. We're 2-6 in the last 8 games. We're 4-6 in the last 10.

TailgateNut
12-23-2009, 09:02 AM

Do confuse the raider fan with facts.;D

go_broncos
12-23-2009, 09:14 AM

You are correct..I am browsing too many bears forums.

I believe they are 2-8 in the last 10..:thumbsup:

I will be happy if we somehow we reach playoff's.

2KBack
12-23-2009, 09:18 AM
I've been proud all season, you are not alone. I still feel the frustration of a few of these losses to very beatable teams, but I think most people with enough foresight can see where the teams is versus where it is going.

Ambiguous
12-23-2009, 09:26 AM
After such a horrendous offseason, I'm still pretty happy if we finish 8-8. But my god this place will be in full meltdown mode for seven months if we were to end the season losing to the Chiefs at home.

That said, this coaching staff has shown they know how to build a team, so with a little time I think we are going to be on the upswing next season. This is a process and we aren't a few pieces away from a super bowl - they'll get a few years before I'm screaming for someones head.

Mr.Meanie
12-23-2009, 09:28 AM
You are correct..I am browsing too many bears forums.

I believe they are 2-8 in the last 10..:thumbsup:

I will be happy if we somehow we reach playoff's.

shocking

HEAV
12-23-2009, 09:50 AM
I'm proud of the direction of the team. They over acheived early and came back dow to earth against some bigger teams.

I can see the vision McDaniels has and while he has tried to force that vision , at times, this year he still has done a solid job with a team that wasn't expected to win 6 games by many.

Orton has been a suprise and won me over with his play. No he's not Manning, but he's also not a turnover,bad attitude, non-leader. Kyle's play that last 3 games has been solid! He's been over 90 in QB rating and even had a better stats then Manning in the Colts game.

The reason the struggle have happened are the Lines. Offensively the interior line was/is light both on talent and weight.

On Defense the Line was a grab bag of left overs and mid-range or aging talent. You can see that they have worn down and it's clear that many of the starters in 09 will be backups or gone in 2010.

I proud of this franchise. I love this franchise!

DrFate
12-23-2009, 09:51 AM
(to the OP)

I would think you are in the minority.

Dagmar
12-23-2009, 09:57 AM
(to the OP)

Really? You believe that? cmhargrove, repost this thread with a poll, I cannot believe it's not something around 50/50.

lazarus4444
12-23-2009, 10:00 AM
I'm proud of them too.:bronxrox:

Los Broncos
12-23-2009, 10:07 AM
The losses always suck but I am pretty happy with the team for the most part.

Just looking forward to the draft and the next couple of seasons.

Always proud to be a Broncos fan :sunshine:

Archer81
12-23-2009, 10:12 AM
8-6 and a wild card chance. Whats not to be proud of? This team has done better then most people thought they would.

:Broncos:

2KBack
12-23-2009, 10:15 AM
(to the OP)

Not in this thread so far

tsiguy96
12-23-2009, 10:20 AM
Not by a long shot. I'm extremely proud of this team. I recognize that we have a ton of new pieces and that we have a rookie HC working with a staff that he is still learning as well as players that he is still learning. I certainly don't agree with all of his moves, decisions, play calling, etc... but I have a ton of hope for the future due to the glimpses of greatness that I've seen thus far. I fully expect Coach JMac to learn and improve. He will only get better.
:notworthy

Garcia Bronco
12-23-2009, 10:23 AM
I've been proud all season, you are not alone. I still feel the frustration of a few of these losses to very beatable teams, but I think most people with enough foresight can see where the teams is versus where it is going.

This

lex
12-23-2009, 10:37 AM

And so on...

Are you not strong enough to have this outlook on your own without finding a support group? Is it THAT much of a burden.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
12-23-2009, 10:46 AM
Are you not strong enough to have this outlook on your own without finding a support group? Is it THAT much of a burden.

You can't seem to shut up about how Bowlen has ruined us and blah blah blah... are you in search of a support group?

lex
12-23-2009, 10:49 AM
You can't seem to shut up about how Bowlen has ruined us and blah blah blah... are you in search of a support group?

Was I looking for other likeminded people, you dink?

I wonder if you'll ever get out from under your own stupidity.

HEAV
12-23-2009, 10:57 AM

lex
12-23-2009, 11:00 AM
are you not strong enough to have this outlook on your own without finding a support group? Is it that much of a burden.

lol

TheElusiveKyleOrton
12-23-2009, 11:02 AM

I don't know if you were looking for other people. You spent all your time making the same tired arguments on thread after thread after thread, so yes, I'd guess you were trying to recruit people to the Church of Stupid that you lead.

I wonder if you'll ever find a clue in that vacuous mass that is your head.

lex
12-23-2009, 11:04 AM
I don't know if you were looking for other people. You spent all your time making the same tired arguments on thread after thread after thread, so yes, I'd guess you were trying to recruit people to the Church of Stupid that you lead.

I wonder if you'll ever find a clue in that vacuous mass that is your head.

No, you were just being the dip**** you are and had another big swing and a miss. Move along.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
12-23-2009, 11:09 AM
No, you were just being the dip**** you are and had another big swing and a miss. Move along.

Oh, so you didn't repeat your mindless garbage over and over and over again? You didn't put "The Broncos have been disem-Bowlend" on your profile? You haven't fought tooth and nail against anyone who said "maybe we should just see how this all plays out" because you were right, god dammit, and anyone who disagreed with you was "under their own stupidity"? Really? That wasn't you?

Huh. Pretty sure I had that right.

And now you're just deflecting to avoid getting nailed -- again -- on the same old ****.

ElwayRulz
12-23-2009, 11:14 AM
At the first of the year everyone was hoping to go 8-8. Then after the great start that we had everyone thought that we would win the division. Then the hard times came and most everyone started complaining. Yes, we have lost some games that we should have won. But is it just me or doesn't it seem like Shanny lost 4-5 of those games every year the last 3 or 4 years. It takes awhile to establish something in an organization or a team and likewise it will take a year or two to learn to consistantly put away the teams you should beat all the time. I think Josh will do well and I believe that team will become a powerhouse again soon! But the fact of the matter is that this is the NFL and anyone can win on any given Sunday! I am proud of this team whether or not they make the playoffs. Yes as a broncos fan I will be disappointed, but as a realist if they miss the playoffs I will not jump off the wagon. In the preseason most projections had us at the bottom of not only the NFL, but the AFC West as well. We will return and I have a feeling that with the core of players that we have that it will be sooner rather than later.

lex
12-23-2009, 11:25 AM
Oh, so you didn't repeat your mindless garbage over and over and over again? You didn't put "The Broncos have been disem-Bowlend" on your profile? You haven't fought tooth and nail against anyone who said "maybe we should just see how this all plays out" because you were right, god dammit, and anyone who disagreed with you was "under their own stupidity"? Really? That wasn't you?

Huh. Pretty sure I had that right.

And now you're just deflecting to avoid getting nailed -- again -- on the same old ****.

Does it really make sense to still try to shoehorn somethng non-related into the discussion when has already blown up in your face once? With that in mind, lets revisit the point I made about you not being smart.

outdoor_miner
12-23-2009, 11:29 AM
The Raiders game definitely took a bit of the "shine" off the season for me. I came in expecting an improved team over last year. I've always supported McDaniels (at least in the theory that he deserved a chance to put a product on the field before we judged him), but I never fell into the group that said 6-10 would be a good year as long was we "competed". I always expected a playoff push, and he has delivered that. So - (assuming we finish 9-7) I'd say he's pretty much met my expectations, but he has not wildly surpassed them or anything. He still has a chance to do that by winning the last 2 games here, but I'm not holding my breath for a win over Phili. Unfortunately, this game feels a bit like the San Diego game felt at the end of last year...

I really like the team he has put together. The defensive turnaround is shocking, and McDaniels deserves a ton of credit for that. He was able to find key pieces in Free Agency, he made the decision to switch to a 3-4, and he was willing to bring in a powerful defensive coordinator. Great stuff across the board. However, as an "offensive guru", I have to say I'm not impressed. The offense totally lacks creativity (it's almost downright predictable at this point), and he has not seemed to get the most out of the talent available. The offense has not yet really put together a single dominating performance all year. The funny thing is... I think Orton has been great. I like him, and he has been better than I thought he would be. He has success when he goes down field, but it just not happening often enough. Which is crazy considering how dominant B-Marsh has been. The guy is uncoverable, but they still can't figure out a way to get other players open down-field??? WTF. It pisses me off.

The good news is that I think it is correctable. I think the offense is more "fixable" than the defense seemed last year (fix the interior O-line, and the rest falls into place). I think McDaniels has a ton of room for improvement himself in his playcalling. This is probably a classic case of a rookie head coach being spread too thin. Hopefully, he is as hard on himself as he is on the other coaches, cuz the offense needs to be held accountable.

I expect big things next year. This team needs to be a division winner that makes some noise in the playoffs, and I think we're on track to do that. In the meantime, there's still 2 games left this year. A win this weekend can *almost* make up for that disaster last weekend.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
12-23-2009, 11:40 AM
Does it really make sense to still try to shoehorn somethng non-related into the discussion when has already blown up in your face once? With that in mind, lets revisit the point I made about you not being smart.

/yawn

Deflect, deflect, deflect.

The irony is thick, by the way: "Does it really make sense to still try to shoehorn somethng non-related into the discussion when has already blown up in your face once? Now let's revisit something that is non-related to the discussion."

You don't even realize how stupid you actually are.

Taco John
12-23-2009, 11:56 AM
I'm proud of the fellas. That's for sure.

I just am having a hard time getting rah-rah right now after watching Jamarcus Russell take to the shotgun 13 times for a touchdown.

But I have to say, it speaks to the constitution of Broncos fans that we can be in the middle of what might be the worst collapse in our team's history and can still find cause to be optimistic. That stadium is going to be sold out against Kansas City, whatever happens this weekend.

That says a lot about both this team and the fans.

TheChamp24
12-23-2009, 12:04 PM
I'm proud, but I don't see the bright future some other people apparently see. That said it isn't necessarily bad, but I don't see us becoming serious contenders next year like some do, or even the year after that.

Paladin
12-23-2009, 12:15 PM
I'm proud, but I don't see the bright future some other people apparently see. That said it isn't necessarily bad, but I don't see us becoming serious contenders next year like some do, or even the year after that.

Need to adjust your glasses?

The team has been entertaining and competitive. Wion some that weren't supposed to happen, loat some that they should have won - at least in hindsight. (Some of those were "projected" as losses by some of our more critical brethern before the seson even started.) POint is that a few of us thought they were in contention for every game..... That was certainly different.

Yes, I am happy with the team overall this year. Next year I expect some improvement. But I was sure upset over the Faiders' game......

go_broncos
12-23-2009, 12:16 PM
I don't know how people are optimistic with the way we played after bye week.
If we don't reach the playoff's after starting 6-0, i will be frustrated and there will not be any positives.

There is a reason why media doesn't believe broncos.They keep losing games in November and December..
Mcd is making sure that the tradition is continued.

Popps
12-23-2009, 12:22 PM

A+ thread.

Absolutely a great time to be a fan. Reminds me very much of our last true regime change back in the mid 90s.

Good things are ahead. Actually, they're here. We're in a playoff hunt. Let's see what happens.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
12-23-2009, 12:23 PM

Just curious: What would have to happen, in your mind, for us to become serious contenders in the next year or two? What needs to change, in your mind?

Popps
12-23-2009, 12:26 PM
IThat stadium is going to be sold out against Kansas City, whatever happens this weekend.

That says a lot about both this team and the fans.

A win against K.C. would give us a winning record on the season. (And perhaps a long-shot playoff hope.)

A winning record is something even the most enthusiastic among us had a hard time envisioning during the offseason.

You'll have squeaky wheels around here, as normal... but Broncos fans will be proud, and optimistic.

cmhargrove
12-23-2009, 02:39 PM

We were having a nice discussion till you came along.

You seem to be the one that seems to use an anonymous forum like the internet to take swings at others for self-aggrandizement. Just decide to be a decent human being every once and a while and you might have more friends.

If you don't want to discuss the topic, go **** yourself. How's that for a "support group?"

NYBronco
12-23-2009, 02:45 PM
Win the next two and we're in the playoffs. What's not to be proud of?

go_broncos
12-23-2009, 02:48 PM
There should be an option called "Not really".
I was happy to see shanny and cutler leave denver.
At the same time, i am not happy with the way we are playing after bye week.