PDA

View Full Version : Schefter: Shanahan won't be joining the Cowboys

TonyR
12-21-2009, 05:08 PM
Posted by Mike Florio on December 21, 2009 8:04 PM ET

Our friend Adam Schefter of ESPN has written a book with free-agent coach Mike Shanahan, and Shanahan widely is believed to have Schefter on his speed dial. So, on one hand, anything Schefter reports about Shanahan has extra credibility. On the other hand, anything Schefter reports about Shanahan could represent an effort by Shanahan to disseminate a specific message, regardless of whether the message being disseminated by Shanahan is accurate.

Tonight, Schefter reports that Shanahan will not be coaching the Cowboys in 2010. Schefter explains that Shanahan is looking for more control than he'd have in Dallas.

Schefter also reports that Shanahan believes coaching the Redskins would be "appealing."

Of course it would be, especially since Shanahan has been talking to Redskins owner Daniel Snyder for months. Moreover, and as Schefter's ESPN colleague Chris Mortensen recently has reported, Snyder hired Bruce Allen to be the General Manager because Shanahan wanted Snyder to hire Bruce Allen to be the General Manager.

In this case, Shanahan could be using Schefter to get the word out that, if Cowboys owner Jerry Jones were to give the reins to a personnel executive like Bruce Allen, Shanahan might be interested.

It's also possible that Shanahan has received word from the Cowboys that, as Jay Glazer of FOX reported on Sunday, the Cowboys aren't interested in Shanahan. Thus, Shanahan likely would prefer the official word to be that Shanahan isn't interested in the Cowboys.

None of this is a slap at Schefter; he's simply doing his job. Given his relationship with Shanahan, we don't expect Schefter to express public skepticism about the things that Shanahan tells him.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/12/21/schefter-shanahan-wont-be-joining-the-cowboys/

Cito Pelon
12-21-2009, 05:18 PM
Elway said, I'm paraphrasing, "Mike will be back in the League next year, but he will have final say on the roster."

OBF1
12-21-2009, 06:07 PM
I so do not care about where Shanny lands. I only hope he gets a gig so Bowlen is no longer on the hook for the 7 million a year he owes Mike.... I would rather see that money spend putting a better Denver Broncos team on the field.

Archer81
12-21-2009, 06:12 PM
As long as its not KC or SD, I dont care where Shanny goes.

:Broncos:

NYBronco
12-21-2009, 06:24 PM
I think Mike just needed a fresh start somewhere and was too comfortable in Denver.

DBroncos4life
12-21-2009, 06:32 PM
Till I hear baja's farmer market report I won't believe a thing.

tsiguy96
12-21-2009, 06:33 PM
it will be fun to watch mike coach another team.

orinjkrush
12-21-2009, 06:36 PM
as long as he can go where the D is already established, he should do well.

bpc
12-21-2009, 07:46 PM
Mike could pick a worse place than Washington. It's nice to know that he'll most likely be in the NFC, not the AFC.

Good luck Mike! One more super bowl win, makes you HOF bound.

ward63
12-21-2009, 08:00 PM
Not AFC West or Dallas...

~Crash~
12-21-2009, 08:04 PM
Mike could pick a worse place than Washington. It's nice to know that he'll most likely be in the NFC, not the AFC.

Good luck Mike! One more super bowl win, makes you HOF bound.

BPC how many SB rigs does one need ? Mike has 3 SB Rings and 2 or 3 AFC champion rings ... so

~Crash~
12-21-2009, 08:05 PM
I would love to see him go to the bears it is his home state.

tsiguy96
12-21-2009, 08:10 PM
BPC how many SB rigs does one need ? Mike has 3 SB Rings and 2 or 3 AFC champion rings ... so

to be a HOF head coach it takes more tehn 2 SB rings. it takes a legacy of absolute domination over a long time. he won a lot of games over his career and that will look good to HOF voters, but facts are facts and he won 1 playoff game in 10 years since he led the broncos to 2 SBs. im pretty sure no coach has ever won a SB ring with 2 teams, if he is the first, he can then be mentioned for sure for HOF

Durango
12-21-2009, 08:13 PM
Plus we just played the NFC East, so everyone will have four more years to ease the hard feelings. I just find it hard to believe Shanahan could work well with Daniel Snyder. The guy is an monumental jackass, but then maybe he isn't a micro-managing meddler like Jerry Jones.

colonelbeef
12-21-2009, 08:24 PM
As long as its not KC or SD, I dont care where Shanny goes.

:Broncos:

This

~Crash~
12-21-2009, 08:30 PM
to be a HOF head coach it takes more tehn 2 SB rings. it takes a legacy of absolute domination over a long time. he won a lot of games over his career and that will look good to HOF voters, but facts are facts and he won 1 playoff game in 10 years since he led the broncos to 2 SBs. im pretty sure no coach has ever won a SB ring with 2 teams, if he is the first, he can then be mentioned for sure for HOF

Don Shula Marve Levey

Crushaholic
12-22-2009, 12:08 AM
I am now renaming Schefter as Captain Obvious. Anybody who knows anything about Shanahan can see that he would never work with a control freak such as Jerry Jones. The rumor of him working with Dan Snyder is bad enough...

Popps
12-22-2009, 12:24 AM
I think it would be fun to have him in the division. It would make for great drama. The only reason I don't want to see that is that it'll likely tarnish his legend if he ends up in a ****-hole like K.C..

extralife
12-22-2009, 01:11 AM
Don Shula Marve Levey

Neither of them won Super Bowls with multiple teams. Marv didn't win one period. Come on man, who doesn't know that one?

bpc
12-22-2009, 03:29 AM
I think Mike needs another 5 solid years in the NFL, and a super bowl would be the cherry on top of a HOF coaching career.

Ideally, I would like to see him in Chicago. As the Shanny regime haters point out, i'm a Cutler homer so yeah, I would like to see him get back on the track he was set on by Shanahan. The guy deserves some help. Coaching and talent wise. Mike would help bring that back to Chicago.

I thought places like Seattle and Carolina could be great fits for him as well. NFC West is still wide open, as evidence that SF swept Arizona this year and they're terrible. Mike could get them turned around rather quickly.

Carolina has tons of pieces in place and should be a quick turn-around. If that job is anybody's but Bill Cowher's, I'll be highly surprised.

watermock
12-22-2009, 03:36 AM
He's going to DC.

bpc
12-22-2009, 03:57 AM
Like I said, Mike could do worse than Washington. He has lots of talent at positions like WR, DL, and DB. QB will be a big hole for his team early but Washington will be in position to take Jimmy Clausen if they want around #5. He seems like a natural fit for a Mike Shanahan led offense.

Florida_Bronco
12-22-2009, 05:27 AM
I think it would be fun to have him in the division. It would make for great drama. The only reason I don't want to see that is that it'll likely tarnish his legend if he ends up in a ****-hole like K.C..

If he brings Slowik as his DC, I want him to take over in San Diego. :approve: