PDA

View Full Version : McDaniels: Broncos' loss even uglier on film

oubronco
12-21-2009, 01:22 PM
Broncos coach Josh McDaniels has seen the film from his team's 20-19 loss to Oakland, and what was bad live Sunday was even more of a nightmare on repeat viewing.

"We just missed so many opportunities in critical situations, and this time of year, against a division opponent, those ultimately always come back to haunt you, and yesterday, that's really what the case was," McDaniels said this morning.

McDaniels rehashed a number of the Broncos' failures against the Raiders, namely the offense's inability to score touchdowns in the red zone and the defense's collapse against Oakland - and quarterback JaMarcus Russell - in the game's final minutes.

In coachspeak, those are "situational football" moments - the things coaches preach over and over in meetings and that team's rehearse specifically in practice.

"This is a game where you have to coach well in those situations, you have to play well in those situations, and they have to marry together," McDaniels said. "And it's frustrating, but you know, that tells you how important it is."

Players are back at Dove Valley today for meetings and a workout, and will start their full preparations for Sunday's now must-win game at Philadelphia on Wednesday. The Broncos now that to give themselves the best chance at making the playoffs, they need to win that game, as well as the season-finale against Kansas City. The Broncos currently hold the No. 6 seed in the AFC.

"We're not dead, and we're going to keep playing. We've got to get better at some of these things," McDaniels said.

Lindsay H. Jones: 303-954-1262 or ljones@denverpost.com

missingnumber7
12-21-2009, 01:30 PM
Players are back at Dove Valley today for meetings and a workout, and will start their full preparations for Sunday's now must-win game at Philadelphia on Wednesday. The Broncos now that to give themselves the best chance at making the playoffs, they need to win that game, as well as the season-finale against Kansas City. The Broncos currently hold the No. 6 seed in the AFC.

"We're not dead, and we're going to keep playing. We've got to get better at some of these things," McDaniels said.

I don't understand how this weeks game just now became a must win. Two weeks ago it was addressed that we needed to win out to have a chance to win the AFC West. Nothing has changed...just that the AFC West has been taken out and it has become the playoffs. The sense of urgency is not with this team. That Kill or be Killed idea doesn't exist in the lockerroom. Because if it did there would be outrage with the results from yesterdays game. And there isn't that from players. There is disappointment and frustration.

ludo21
12-21-2009, 01:32 PM
Philly is a must win game. ITs going to be a battle. I hope we can hang with them and pull out the W. This team had an easy road to the playoffs and they messed it up.

Pony Boy
12-21-2009, 01:33 PM
McDaniels: Broncos' loss is Fugly Ugly on film

There fixed it ..

Beantown Bronco
12-21-2009, 01:35 PM
Philly is a must win game.

Not true.

If they lose the game, will they be eliminated from the playoffs? Nope. Therefore, by definition, it is not a must win game.

55CrushEm
12-21-2009, 01:41 PM
I don't understand how this weeks game just now became a must win. Two weeks ago it was addressed that we needed to win out to have a chance to win the AFC West. Nothing has changed...just that the AFC West has been taken out and it has become the playoffs. The sense of urgency is not with this team. That Kill or be Killed idea doesn't exist in the lockerroom. Because if it did there would be outrage with the results from yesterdays game. And there isn't that from players. There is disappointment and frustration.

It's not a must win game....the writers are idiots. But would almost guarantee us a playoff spot.

55CrushEm
12-21-2009, 01:43 PM
Philly is a must win game. ITs going to be a battle. I hope we can hang with them and pull out the W. This team had an easy road to the playoffs and they messed it up.

Nope. If fact, we've pointed out all day long how Denver can very realistically get in at 9-7.......once again, we just need the following.

NE to beat Jax
Indy to beat Jets
Baltimore to beat Pitt

Then we don't need to beat Philly....and can get in by only beating KC.

WolfpackGuy
12-21-2009, 01:45 PM
I've heard this crap too many times this season.

Good teams seize their opportunities.

DBroncos4life
12-21-2009, 01:46 PM
Not true.

If they lose the game, will they be eliminated from the playoffs? Nope. Therefore, by definition, it is not a must win game.

If its all the same to you I would rather the players and coaching staff treat the game as a must win game. We win out we should lock up the last playoff spot, I would rather do that that rely on other teams to **** up so we get into the playoffs :thumbs:

Bronx33
12-21-2009, 01:50 PM
Team effort IMO but MCD really has to look in the mirror and take a second look at his play calling, zero originality and zero rhythm and really really really easy for DC to control.

ahhhhhh my avatar is back...

Beantown Bronco
12-21-2009, 01:54 PM
If its all the same to you I would rather the players and coaching staff treat the game as a must win game. We win out we should lock up the last playoff spot, I would rather do that that rely on other teams to **** up so we get into the playoffs :thumbs:

Agreed. But treating a game as a must-win game and having it actually be a must-win game are two different things.

Technically, players and coaches should be treating EVERY game as a must-win game. But it doesn't actually make it so.

Ambiguous
12-21-2009, 01:56 PM

I'm pretty sure we're not resting starters for this one. That is to say I hope they treat every game as a "must win".

barryr
12-21-2009, 02:06 PM
I have to conclude with the loss to the Raiders, to a team that had nothing to play for, is this is your typical Broncos. The last few years especially, with a big game on the line, they don't get the job done. Constant mistakes and not wanting the game as much as the other team. This song has been played too often and I have grown tired of it. At least match the intensity for 60 minutes, but they don't or can't for whatever reason.

Their idiotic penalties have also grown old. Has there been any game this season where they didn't commit more than 5 penalties? Geesh, they spend more time shooting themselves in thefoot than anything.

Pass plays for Jordan is a "what the hell is that?" Has Jordan ever caught a sideline pattern pass ever? Yet 2 go his way and predictably, no completion.

The TE is never in the game plan or is never open. Scheffler couldn't even beat a LB on a go pattern.

The o-line is playing like crap. I have tempered my dislike for Dennison the last couple of years, but I will again hope he is gone. The o-line is no longer a strong point on this team and I have no doubts it's because he has his mitts on it. He stinks and really always has.

Ayers only comes in when they take out Dumervil. Is Nolan scared to, I don't know, have 2 pass rushers in the game at the same time? You mean Haggan is really that valuable to this team, a journeyman type?

This DL has nobody that can get any pressure on the QB nor makes enough plays against the run either. If not going to employ a 2 OLB system where you have 2 pass rushers, then they must have at least DL who can generate pressure on the QB. Just asking on position on the front 7 to do that seems assinine to me.

Champ Bailey: folks, why do they pay this guy so much money when they either play zone 75% of the time, just as they have done the last few years, and gives up completions to nobody receivers? Champ needs to take a big paycut or they need to go in a different direction. You can't pay a CB big money and play soft zones most of the time with no pass rush. Makes no sense.

What troubles me the most is even with a different coach and about a half new roster, still saw a team that lost a home game to a team that had nothing to play for and basically seemed to take the game for granted. That same crap has gone on the last few years and they are still doing it.

They can still make the playoffs, but really don't deserve to. You can't even beat a bad Raider team who you know wil try to run the ball, but you can't stop it anyway, you continue with the stupid penalties, and your o-line doesn't block worth a crap. I'm very disappointed in this team when I thought that gutless performance garbage was over with Shanahan's firing and geting rid of so many players. I guess not.

Smiling Assassin27
12-21-2009, 02:16 PM
Team effort IMO but MCD really has to look in the mirror and take a second look at his play calling, zero originality and zero rhythm and really really really easy for DC to control.

what, you didn't enjoy the cross-field pass to our speediest offensive lineman, Ryan Clady? Effective? No. Well conceived? No. Advisable at any level of organized football? No. Original? YOU BET! :strong:

props to the avatar. she's a fine, upstanding lady.

Rabb
12-21-2009, 02:18 PM
what, you didn't enjoy the cross-field pass to our speediest offensive lineman, Ryan Clady? Effective? No. Well conceived? No. Advisable at any level of organized football? No. Original? YOU BET! :strong:

Clady took a low shot too, I was thinking after...if he gets hurt on that people would go absolutely insane

broncosteven
12-21-2009, 02:19 PM
Did anyone ask him about throwing to Clady on an early scoring drive?

broncosteven
12-21-2009, 02:21 PM

Sorry I didn't see this.

Stupidest play I have ever seen in the NFL in over 30+ years.

ZONA
12-21-2009, 02:59 PM
I can only laugh at the talk of "must win" mentality or "we didn't want it bad enough".

Bottom line is you win when your guys execute the better game plan and sometimes a little luck helps also. The Raiders got the luck part (see DJ's fumble that bounces sideways right into the arms of Raider linemen) and they also executed better. Doesn't mean they wanted it more, they just played better, period.

Sometimes when I go to the weightroom, I psyche myself up to bench more weight then I have before in the past by 10 pounds. I've tried getting mad, tried to be calm, and it doesn't matter. My gains only go up just a little bit each time and I can never do 10 pounds more then my max no matter how bad I want it. That's football. You can want it till your blue in the face. You only get it when you play better then the other team, not just because you mentally psyche yourself out that you want it more then the other guy.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
12-21-2009, 03:21 PM

Oh, you must be in the locker room.

Lemme guess: Jock strap cleaner?

Smiling Assassin27
12-21-2009, 03:28 PM
and for the record, there's NO way it could be uglier on film than in live technicolor.

Bronx33
12-21-2009, 03:35 PM
and for the record, there's NO way it could be uglier on film than in live technicolor.

agreed!

Sassy
12-21-2009, 04:30 PM
Hopefully, Buc can play!

Circle Orange
12-21-2009, 04:44 PM
BTW, anyone know what that big fight was about? I don't recall hearing anything.

watermock
12-21-2009, 04:45 PM
Better luck seeing an injured Buck than a health Hillis.

watermock
12-21-2009, 04:47 PM
BTW, anyone know what that big fight was about? I don't recall hearing anything.

Some faider fan was using a laser light into either orton or BM. I dunno how the second fight started...Clady maybe.

baja
12-21-2009, 04:53 PM

broncogary
12-21-2009, 06:34 PM

Baja, I can't see your avatar. Did the test not work?

Mediator12
12-21-2009, 06:40 PM
Yeah, it was a lot uglier on film. Terrible effort, terrible execution, and terrible focus. All kinds of blown plays. All kinds of defeats along the lines. I could go on, but its just too ugly.

watermock
12-21-2009, 07:09 PM
There was one bright spot.

A pen laser got in Orton's eyes and started a fight.

baja
12-21-2009, 07:10 PM
Baja, I can't see your avatar. Did the test not work?

I can't believe you are lying 3 days before Xmas don't you know Santa is watching you lyin ass.???

broncogary
12-21-2009, 07:32 PM
I can't believe you are lying 3 days before Xmas don't you know Santa is watching you lyin ass.???

Around here, I am Santa. :spit:

~Crash~
12-21-2009, 07:54 PM
I've heard this crap too many times this season.

Good teams seize their opportunities.

seems like last year when all we needed was to just win...:wiggle:

colonelbeef
12-21-2009, 08:27 PM
Clady took a low shot too, I was thinking after...if he gets hurt on that people would go absolutely insane

Except Poops, he would blame Cutler

Popps
12-21-2009, 08:36 PM

Fetch me a drink, boy.

Williams
12-21-2009, 09:13 PM
Sorry I didn't see this.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-cant-miss-plays/09000d5d8152ba5d/WK-15-Can-t-Miss-Play-Silly-Skins-tricks-are-for-kids

Fusionfrontman
12-21-2009, 10:39 PM
I can only laugh at the talk of "must win" mentality or "we didn't want it bad enough".

Bottom line is you win when your guys execute the better game plan and sometimes a little luck helps also. The Raiders got the luck part (see DJ's fumble that bounces sideways right into the arms of Raider linemen) and they also executed better. Doesn't mean they wanted it more, they just played better, period.

Sometimes when I go to the weightroom, I psyche myself up to bench more weight then I have before in the past by 10 pounds. I've tried getting mad, tried to be calm, and it doesn't matter. My gains only go up just a little bit each time and I can never do 10 pounds more then my max no matter how bad I want it. That's football. You can want it till your blue in the face. You only get it when you play better then the other team, not just because you mentally psyche yourself out that you want it more then the other guy.

Seriously, most rationale post I've seen in a long time. Perfect analogy. Do people realize how difficult it is to get into the NFL, even as an Engelberger type player. The skill set plus mind set has to be a top 3% of the population who try to get in. If anyone thinks NFL players aren't mentally psyched to play a game, at home, against a divisional rival.... in the midst of a playoff spot are crazy. I don't believe in putting blame on one individual, but I will say that games playcalling sucked.

broncosteven
12-22-2009, 11:41 AM
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-cant-miss-plays/09000d5d8152ba5d/WK-15-Can-t-Miss-Play-Silly-Skins-tricks-are-for-kids

But they weren't in the red zone on the 1st drive of the game just trying to win a Mother****ing game and go to the playoffs.

This did remind me of the Skins game this year when McDaniels team was burned (twice really) on the fake punt for a TD. It was very sad that they could not cover it after seeing it unfold the 1st time before Washington called a TO.

Williams
12-22-2009, 11:53 AM
But they weren't in the red zone on the 1st drive of the game just trying to win a Mother****ing game and go to the playoffs.

This did remind me of the Skins game this year when McDaniels team was burned (twice really) on the fake punt for a TD. It was very sad that they could not cover it after seeing it unfold the 1st time before Washington called a TO.

The thing about those plays is you either look like a genius if it works or fool if it fails. Same with going for it on 4th, two point conversions, etc...

Would've been nice to see the Clady play work. He's deserving of the recognition.

55CrushEm
12-22-2009, 11:57 AM

Yeah, but you would BLOW Cutler.......just sayin'.

SJ Bronco
12-22-2009, 03:03 PM

in your case, I'm happy about that:thumbsup:

rastaman
12-22-2009, 04:08 PM
I'm pretty sure we're not resting starters for this one. That is to say I hope they treat every game as a "must win".

We need to rest Moreno and allow Hillis to take his reps. This way when the playoffs start.....Moreno will be well rested and ready for glory in the playoffs.:peace:

JJG
12-22-2009, 04:45 PM
Would've been nice to see the Clady play work. He's deserving of the recognition.

Interestingly enough. I saw Boise State do almost the exact same play, but they threw a lateral to him from across the field. Clady scored a TD after running for 10 yards, but it was called back because the pass went foward.

Mr
12-22-2009, 05:08 PM
I covered my eyes.
If he had been hurt, heads would have rolled.
Waaaaay too risky, especially this late.
Stupid.

Circle Orange
12-22-2009, 08:12 PM
What's funny is, every time the broncs win or lose a game, the media overreacts. Last week, they were showing resiliency. Now, they aren't that good. Should they win the next game, they will have 'bounced back.' I swear, the sports media never runs out of cliches.

Hulamau
12-22-2009, 10:06 PM
Sorry I didn't see this.

You musta missed the Chiefs game when KC tried to run a fake punt with Croyle passing on 4 and whatever from inside THEIR 25. LOL