PDA

View Full Version : 3rd QB rule Changed ???

Mediator12
12-21-2009, 12:30 PM
For the Life Of me, I see that JP Losman was listed as the 3rd QB yesterday. When he went into the game, how come Jamarcus Russell was allowed to return? When the 3rd QB enters an NFL game that means that the other QB's can no longer enter the game for their team. It allows for an emergency player to be dressed due to injuries, but How come Russell was allowed to play again?

I have emailed several people about this, and Hope to find out quickly.

Hercules Rockefeller
12-21-2009, 12:31 PM
I believe it only applies if the 3rd QB enters the game before the 4th quarter

Beantown Bronco
12-21-2009, 12:34 PM
I believe it only applies if the 3rd QB enters the game before the 4th quarter

yup

The league allows each team to have 45 active players each week. If no more than two of those players are quarterbacks, the team may designate a 46th player as its emergency third quarterback. If that player enters the game prior to the fourth quarter, then the first two quarterbacks on the roster are prohibited from returning to the game at any position at any time.

http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2009/08/24/emergency-qb-rule-could-complicate-vick-pat-white-situations/

Mediator12
12-21-2009, 12:44 PM
OK. I did not remember the 4th quarter provision. That makes it clear.

Thanks Fellas.

Broncoman13
12-21-2009, 12:48 PM
For the Life Of me, I see that JP Losman was listed as the 3rd QB yesterday. When he went into the game, how come Jamarcus Russell was allowed to return? When the 3rd QB enters an NFL game that means that the other QB's can no longer enter the game for their team. It allows for an emergency player to be dressed due to injuries, but How come Russell was allowed to play again?

I have emailed several people about this, and Hope to find out quickly.

If he was listed as the emergency QB then that applies, but I assumed they had given him an actual roster spot?

mr007
12-21-2009, 12:51 PM
It's also only if you're using the 3rd QB as an emergency QB to get 46 people on the active roster for game day.

If he was the 3rd listed QB and they still only brought 45, he could come in and out as he pleases.