PDA

View Full Version : Good change the Broncos still make playoffs even at 9-7

Elway777
12-21-2009, 07:31 AM
Even if the Broncos lose to the Eagles they still have a good change to make playoffs. What needs to happen

Pittsburgh must lose either game with Miami or Baltimore.
Jets must lose against Indianapolis or Cinanata
Jacksonville must lose to Indianapolis.
Miami must lose to either Houston or pittsburgh
Houston or Tennesee have no change to bet out Broncos

If both the jets and Miaimi win both games and Denver bets Cheifs then all 3 teams would have have a 7-5 conferance recond and don't know who would make playoffs.
The Broncos would lose out on tie breakers to jacksonville because Jacksonville has only 4 conferance loses and also to pittsburgh and Ravens because they lose to both teams.

Hogan11
12-21-2009, 08:22 AM
It would be a good change to actually make the playoffs

Rohirrim
12-21-2009, 08:24 AM
It would be sweet to watch a post-season game again, no matter what happens. Let's keep a good thought.

RhymesayersDU
12-21-2009, 08:28 AM
Interesting. Go team go.

Crushaholic
12-21-2009, 08:38 AM
Oh, God. Can this really be happening? The fat lady isn't singing, but she's sure warming up. We need to find a way to beat Philly...:pray:

Pony Boy
12-21-2009, 08:49 AM

Hercules Rockefeller
12-21-2009, 08:51 AM
Jacksonville already lost to Indy, they played last Thursday. The Jags remaining games are @NE and @Cleveland.

Hercules Rockefeller
12-21-2009, 09:01 AM
If both the jets and Miaimi win both games and Denver bets Cheifs then all 3 teams would have have a 7-5 conferance recond and don't know who would make playoffs.
The Broncos would lose out on tie breakers to jacksonville because Jacksonville has only 4 conferance loses and also to pittsburgh and Ravens because they lose to both teams.

If both the Jets and Miami go 9-7, the first tiebreaker is between the 2 because they are in the same division. Miami swept the Jets, so the Jets cannot win a tiebreaker with Miami. The Broncos and Fins would then have to go to the 3rd tiebreaker, games in common. Denver and Miami will have played 4 teams, w/ 5 games. Denver is 2-3 against Indy, Pitt, SD, and NE. Miami is 1-3 and would have to beat Pitt to get to 9-7 and the 2-3 common games. It then goes to strength of victory, and I have no ****ing clue there.

Denver would lose out in a 3-way tie involving Balt or Pitt based on conference record. The H2H loss is only applied if it's a 2-way tie, or in the event of a 3-way tie, one team has beaten the other 2 teams.

55CrushEm
12-21-2009, 09:06 AM
Even if the Broncos lose to the Eagles they still have a good change to make playoffs. What needs to happen

Pittsburgh must lose either game with Miami or Baltimore.
Jets must lose against Indianapolis or Cinanata
Jacksonville must lose to Indianapolis.
Miami must lose to either Houston or pittsburgh
Houston or Tennesee have no change to bet out Broncos

Miami doesn't need to lose.....we hold a 9-7 tiebreak over Miami. Only the Jags, Steelers, and Jets need to lose a game. And actually if the Jets win out we would WANT Miami to win out, because if there is a 3-way tie, with 2 teams in the same division (Jets/Dolphins)....they break division ties first. Miami holds the tiebreak over the Jets....THEN we would hold the tie over Miami.....

This weekend....

Pull for New England to beat Jax. IMO, very likely.
Pull for Indy to beat the Jets. IMO, very likely.
Pull for Baltimore to beat Pitt. This is a tough one.

If this happens, we are in at 9-7. And I think those 3 games are at 11 MST....so we'll have a much better idea what shape we're in by the time we play at 2MST.

55CrushEm
12-21-2009, 09:11 AM

Why do you think this?

You don't think NE can beat Jax? Or that Indy can beat the Jets? Or that Balt can beat Pitt? Or that Denver can beat KC?

I see all those happening.....then sir, Hell will be damn cold.

LetsGoBroncos
12-21-2009, 09:19 AM
Miami doesn't need to lose.....we hold a 9-7 tiebreak over Miami. Only the Jags, Steelers, and Jets need to lose a game. And actually if the Jets win out we would WANT Miami to win out, because if there is a 3-way tie, with 2 teams in the same division (Jets/Dolphins)....they break division ties first. Miami holds the tiebreak over the Jets....THEN we would hold the tie over Miami.....

This weekend....

If this happens, we are in at 9-7. And I think those 3 games are at 11 MST....so we'll have a much better idea what shape we're in by the time we play at 2MST.

How do we hold the 9-7 tiebreaker over Miami? We will be tied in conf. record and common opponents

Pony Boy
12-21-2009, 09:22 AM
Why do you think this?

You don't think NE can beat Jax? Or that Indy can beat the Jets? Or that Balt can beat Pitt? Or that Denver can beat KC?

I see all those happening.....then sir, Hell will be damn cold.

I'm just still really pissed off from yesterday, so let me vent...... My wife and my dog know to stay away from me for a few days...... they will just slide me a food tray under the door till mid-week..... We can't score from the freaking 5 yard line..... and JaMarcus ****** Russell can drive the lengh of the field ? !%#&^%!?@%^&

Sassy
12-21-2009, 09:25 AM
This weekend....

So....cheer for all the teams we hate :(
Yuck!

The Joker
12-21-2009, 09:38 AM
At the moment we hold a strength of victory advantage over Miami, but it's close and it'll change so much the next couple of weeks that it's almost negligible.

The combined record of the teams we've beaten is 56-55, Miami's defeated opponents combine to 43-55.

However, assume we beat Kansas and lose to Philly, while Miami win out.

Miami strength of victory will then be 57-71 (Steelers and Houston are then 7-8 with losses to Miami), ours will be 59-70 (adding Kansas going to 3-12).

On top of that, all the teams both us and Miami have already beaten still have two games left to play. So, their records are going to change.

This in turn affects our strength of victory rating.

Basically, it's ****ing impossible to call what the strength of victory outcome would be, if it comes down to that.

Simple thing to do is to root for teams that we have beaten at any point this season to win if they're playing a team we haven't beaten.

That, and hope we beat Philly.

And that the Dolphins lose one of their last two...

But not to Pittsburgh...

Unless Pittsburgh loses to Baltimore...

Old Dude
12-21-2009, 10:18 AM
I keep running this thing through the yahoo simulator, and under most scenarios, Denver still makes the playoffs if they beat KC in two weeks. In fact, they could even get in there with an 8-7-1 record.

I may get more enthused about that later on. I'm still stewing about the Raiders loss.

55CrushEm
12-21-2009, 11:22 AM
How do we hold the 9-7 tiebreaker over Miami? We will be tied in conf. record and common opponents

Strength of victory.

hades
12-21-2009, 11:57 AM
If we can't make the playoffs on our own, we don't need to be in them.

Rabb
12-21-2009, 12:18 PM
This weekend....

So....cheer for all the teams we hate :(
Yuck!

I wouldn't call NE over Jax anything close to likely

Jax is playing some inspired ball lately, and NE has not been the same team

55CrushEm
12-21-2009, 12:56 PM
I wouldn't call NE over Jax anything close to likely

Jax is playing some inspired ball lately, and NE has not been the same team

I'm hoping.....Jax is a warm weather team, and their last 2 games are @ New England and @ Cleveland. This is one of the rare times I'm pulling for the Pats in a big way.....and I think they do it.

I also think Indy beats the Jets easily (assuming they aren't resting their starters).

The toughest one to call is the Baltimore/Pitt game......I hate the Ratbirds, but again, we need them to beat Pitt.....if not, we have to rely on Miami beating Pitt in week 17....or Oakland beating Baltimore in week 17.

But if we shock the world and beat Philly this weekend......who give a **** what the other teams do? :strong:

Rabb
12-21-2009, 01:19 PM
I'm hoping.....Jax is a warm weather team, and their last 2 games are @ New England and @ Cleveland. This is one of the rare times I'm pulling for the Pats in a big way.....and I think they do it.

I also think Indy beats the Jets easily (assuming they aren't resting their starters).

The toughest one to call is the Baltimore/Pitt game......I hate the Ratbirds, but again, we need them to beat Pitt.....if not, we have to rely on Miami beating Pitt in week 17....or Oakland beating Baltimore in week 17.

But if we shock the world and beat Philly this weekend......who give a **** what the other teams do? :strong:

agree

UberBroncoMan
12-21-2009, 01:48 PM

Yeah... so you're assuming we're going to beat the Chiefs?

We all assumed the same thing with the pitiful Raiders.

After losing to the RAIDERS at home I don't see that as a gimme game... not even close.

Raiders and Chiefs left on the schedule... a good team would have butchered them and had at least a close loss or a miracle win vs the red hot Eagles.

55CrushEm
12-21-2009, 02:24 PM
Yeah... so you're assuming we're going to beat the Chiefs?
We all assumed the same thing with the pitiful Raiders.

After losing to the RAIDERS at home I don't see that as a gimme game... not even close.

Raiders and Chiefs left on the schedule... a good team would have butchered them and had at least a close loss or a miracle win vs the red hot Eagles.

Absolutely. Chiefs aren't in the same leage as the Raiders right now. Of the Raiders 5 wins they've beaten Philly, Cincy, Denver and Pittsburgh......pretty impressive. As much as they are hated, the Raiders play tough....can't say the same for the Chiefs.

Even before the loss to the Raiders.....I was saying to people at work that I only saw the Chiefs as the "gimme" game, and that the Raiders were definitely NOT a "gimme".

broncosteven
12-21-2009, 02:29 PM
I am guessing McDaniels has another great wrinkle this week that will allow us to win at least one game over the next 2 weeks.

2 words "Clady" and "wildcat" or Wild-left-tackle-eligible-horses-something, Super Bowl here we come!

Rabb
12-21-2009, 02:31 PM
I am guessing McDaniels has another great wrinkle this week that will allow us to win at least one game over the next 2 weeks.

2 words "Clady" and "wildcat" or Wild-left-tackle-eligible-horses-something, Super Bowl here we come!

let it go man, let it go

Dagmar
12-21-2009, 03:29 PM
let it go man, let it go

Yeah, people don't do that around here.

broncofan
12-21-2009, 04:10 PM
How about 8-8??

broncosteven
12-21-2009, 05:42 PM
let it go man, let it go

I am sure I will have something new to run into the ground after the eagles game.

orange 4 life
12-21-2009, 06:24 PM
Everyone is talking about us wanting Baltimore to beat Pitt., but I think it's actually quite the opposite.
Again, head to head ONLY matters in a TWO way tie.

If we end up 9-7, you have to think at least two OTHER teams will ALSO be at 9-7, and at that point head to head is irrelevant.

Of the six 7-7 teams, Pitt, Hou, and Tenn have the worst conference records, so those are the teams we should NOT be worried about winning.

I could be wrong, but I think we want Pitt to beat Balt this weekend.

With all that said, I'm still so pissed off from yesterday I can hardly type. As awful as this month has already been for me, that was the straw that broke the camel's back. Just miserably depressing, and made worse by the fact that Cinci beat SD, which of course means that the division (and even a 1st round bye!!) would've been WELL within reach if we would've taken care of business.

Bad playcalling (again), poor redzone performance (see playcalling), HORRIFICALLY bad officiating, and another defensive collapse with the game on the line. Different coach, (many) different players, different year, same Broncos results. Only team that could close (since the Superbowl years) was '05.

****in depressing.

jbiel
12-21-2009, 08:45 PM
I dont believe the pitt balt game means much. If pitt loses that puts them at 8 losses and they're done. If Balt loses, both them teams could tie with 9-7 records and say we are also 9-7. Balt and us would go cause the division tie-breaker would be won by Balt and that is applied first, regardless that both teams beat us.

If Indy beats the jets, Patsies beat the Jags, and Hou beats Mia, I'm pretty sure we'd be guaranteed a playoff spot (if we beat KC) with the other probably going to Balt unless they lose both remaining games.

TomServo
12-21-2009, 10:40 PM
anytime were hoping for someone to lose to help us get in the playoffs its NEVER gone well.
if we were red hot like last years cardinals.....O Wait were not red hot. we kinda suck these days....

BigPlayShay
12-21-2009, 11:04 PM
anytime were hoping for someone to lose to help us get in the playoffs its NEVER gone well.
if we were red hot like last years cardinals.....O Wait were not red hot. we kinda suck these days....

Arizona lost 4 of their last 6 last year. They were not even close to "red hot" to end the season. They got hot in the playoffs.

baja
12-21-2009, 11:07 PM
I said we'd finish at 10 & 6 at the beginning of the season and I don't see any reason to think different now. That said we sure looked ****ty against the Raiders.

I'm counting on the good Broncos showing the next two weeks.....

55CrushEm
12-22-2009, 07:35 AM
Everyone is talking about us wanting Baltimore to beat Pitt., but I think it's actually quite the opposite.
Again, head to head ONLY matters in a TWO way tie.

If we end up 9-7, you have to think at least two OTHER teams will ALSO be at 9-7, and at that point head to head is irrelevant.

Of the six 7-7 teams, Pitt, Hou, and Tenn have the worst conference records, so those are the teams we should NOT be worried about winning.

I could be wrong, but I think we want Pitt to beat Balt this weekend.

With all that said, I'm still so pissed off from yesterday I can hardly type. As awful as this month has already been for me, that was the straw that broke the camel's back. Just miserably depressing, and made worse by the fact that Cinci beat SD, which of course means that the division (and even a 1st round bye!!) would've been WELL within reach if we would've taken care of business.

If Pitt beats Baltimore this weekend, we would (at least temporarily) be on the outside looking in. If we lose to Philly this weekend, and Pitt beats Baltimore.....Pitt, Balt, and Denver would all be 8-7, and we'd be on the outside looking in.

You are wrong on a couple of points. When 3 teams are tied, it's not that head-to-head doesn't matter.....it's just that all three teams have to have played each other for it to matter. So it depends on which teams are in the 3 way tie.

We absolutely want Pitt to LOSE this weekend. We want those 7-7 teams that could beat us in a 9-7 tiebreak to keep falling. Pitt is one of those teams cause they'd beat us on head-to-head.

As we said over and over yesterday.....this weekend we need to root for...

NE over Jax
Balt over Pitt
Indy over NY Jets

If those 3 things happen, Denver can lose to Philly and still get in at 9-7.

go_broncos
12-22-2009, 07:46 AM
If Pitt beats Baltimore this weekend, we would (at least temporarily) be on the outside looking in. If we lose to Philly this weekend, and Pitt beats Baltimore.....Pitt, Balt, and Denver would all be 8-7, and we'd be on the outside looking in.

You are wrong on a couple of points. When 3 teams are tied, it's not that head-to-head doesn't matter.....it's just that all three teams have to have played each other for it to matter. So it depends on which teams are in the 3 way tie.

We absolutely want Pitt to LOSE this weekend. We want those 7-7 teams that could beat us in a 9-7 tiebreak to keep falling. Pitt is one of those teams cause they'd beat us on head-to-head.

NE over Jax
Balt over Pitt
Indy over NY Jets

PIT got a life last week..Hopefully, they lose to Baltimore.
If they win, then we need to win against PHI.

Old Dude
12-22-2009, 07:53 AM
I dont believe the pitt balt game means much. If pitt loses that puts them at 8 losses and they're done. If Balt loses, both them teams could tie with 9-7 records and say we are also 9-7. Balt and us would go cause the division tie-breaker would be won by Balt and that is applied first, regardless that both teams beat us.

If Indy beats the jets, Patsies beat the Jags, and Hou beats Mia, I'm pretty sure we'd be guaranteed a playoff spot (if we beat KC) with the other probably going to Balt unless they lose both remaining games.

According to the yahoo simulator, Denver could go 9-7 and still miss the playoffs if Pittsburgh wins out (going to 9-7) while Baltimore loses to Pitt but wins at Oakland. Both of those teams would then finish at 9-7 and both would own HTH tiebreaker against Denver.

No matter what happens in the Pitt/Balt game, Denver could also get bumped out (at 9-7) if Jacksonville wins out against both New England and Cleveland.

So it looks to me like we definitely have to pull for Baltimore and New England this week.

Of course, if Denver could somehow beat Philly & KC, they wouldn't have to worry about all this other crap.

TailgateNut
12-22-2009, 07:55 AM
According to the yahoo simulator, Denver could go 9-7 and still miss the playoffs if Pittsburgh wins out (going to 9-7) while Baltimore loses to Pitt but wins at Oakland. Both of those teams would then finish at 9-7 and both would own HTH tiebreaker against Denver.

No matter what happens in the Pitt/Balt game, Denver could also get bumped out (at 9-7) if Jacksonville wins out against both New England and Cleveland.

So it looks to me like we definitely have to pull for Baltimore and New England this week.

Of course, if Denver could somehow beat Philly & KC, they wouldn't have to worry about all this other crap.

That works for me. Screw all the other scenarios.

Old Dude
12-22-2009, 07:56 AM

NE over Jax
Balt over Pitt
Indy over NY Jets

I think this is correct.

55CrushEm
12-22-2009, 08:07 AM
I think this is correct.

I think so to.....I go over this stuff again and again every year at this time.

Of the 7-7 teams, only Jags, Jets, and Pitt hold 9-7 tiebreaks over us.....so we need them all to lose a game....preferably this weekend.

It pains me to root for New England and Baltimore, but hey, if it helps us out....I don't have a problem doing it for one week. Ha!

But hey, if we beat Philly this weekend, that makes this all irrelevant, and all will be corrected from the Oakland stumble on Sunday.

HAT
12-22-2009, 08:30 AM

Except Balt & Pitt are not playing for the division so there is no division tie breaker to apply first. If Cincy wins the division & Balty, Pitt & Denver all finish 9-7....Denver is on the outside looking in......