PDA

View Full Version : Why we NEED to make the playoffs

bloodsunday
12-21-2009, 08:08 AM
I'll get the disclaimer out now. I'm see the same games everyone else watches. This team is quite clearly not playing its best football right now. That said, we MUST make the playoffs for the following reasons:

1) Change the attitude and culture around here. Mike Shanahan is gone, no more of this "who cares if we get in if we don't have a realistic chance to win" crap. That's chicken s**t. You play all season to win and get to the playoffs. Making the playoffs is a better season than not. And it's physically impossible to win a Super Bowl if you don't make the playoffs. Even if our chances are 1 in a million as a 9 - 7 wild card, they are better than if we don't qualify.

2) Similar point to the above but you have to show progress. Since 2005 we have done this same crap every year. And every year we make changes (some times significant) with nothing to show for it. If this team can make the playoffs then we have proven that all the turmoil from last off season is a positive step toward getting this franchise on the road to being a challenger again. Drafting Cutler after the year Plummer had was a BOLD move that netted this franchise nothing. Trading away Cutler was another BOLD move, but are we better for it? This team needs validation (even if its only psychological) that its moving in the right direction. Get rid of this "late season swoon" talk.

3) Sundays are better in my house when the Broncos win :)

4) Who knows what will happen if we do get in? It looks like we'd play NE or Cincy and we've already beaten both those teams. It could happen. This team started 6 - 0, so it's not impossible they could a game or two in the playoffs. Yes I realize it's unlikely, but if you don't get in, you'll never know.

Cleo McDowell
12-21-2009, 08:40 AM
I'll get the disclaimer out now. I'm see the same games everyone else watches. This team is quite clearly not playing its best football right now. That said, we MUST make the playoffs for the following reasons:

1) Change the attitude and culture around here. Mike Shanahan is gone, no more of this "who cares if we get in if we don't have a realistic chance to win" crap. That's chicken s**t. You play all season to win and get to the playoffs. Making the playoffs is a better season than not. And it's physically impossible to win a Super Bowl if you don't make the playoffs. Even if our chances are 1 in a million as a 9 - 7 wild card, they are better than if we don't qualify.

2) Similar point to the above but you have to show progress. Since 2005 we have done this same crap every year. And every year we make changes (some times significant) with nothing to show for it. If this team can make the playoffs then we have proven that all the turmoil from last off season is a positive step toward getting this franchise on the road to being a challenger again. Drafting Cutler after the year Plummer had was a BOLD move that netted this franchise nothing. Trading away Cutler was another BOLD move, but are we better for it? This team needs validation (even if its only psychological) that its moving in the right direction. Get rid of this "late season swoon" talk.

4) Who knows what will happen if we do get in? It looks like we'd play NE or Cincy and we've already beaten both those teams. It could happen. This team started 6 - 0, so it's not impossible they could a game or two in the playoffs. Yes I realize it's unlikely, but if you don't get in, you'll never know.

this, +1, roger that, i agree, and every other word for it

SoDak Bronco
12-21-2009, 08:47 AM
amen brotha. Heres to two wins in a row, and a spot in the playoffs.

ludo21
12-21-2009, 08:49 AM
10-6 and we clinch..... let's do that

TheElusiveKyleOrton
12-21-2009, 08:56 AM
I'm in.

One week at a time.

Beat. Philly.

Kid A
12-21-2009, 09:23 AM
Couldn't agree more. As much as our enthusiasm might be dampened if we sneak it at 9-7 (compared to what seemed possible at 6-0), actually qualifying for the playoffs is vastly preferable to having blown it completely. We're getting dangerously close to "is this team cursed in December?" (ala Dallas) territory, and making the WC would certainly be a step in reversing that kind of mentality.

colonelbeef
12-21-2009, 09:39 AM
Postseason football is 1000X better and more interesting when the Broncos are involved.

You never know what might happen.

Pick Six
12-21-2009, 09:42 AM
At the beginning of the season, I said a successful season would be making the playoffs. We need to make it happen. It's good to see you post again, bloodsunday...:thumbs:

TheDave
12-21-2009, 09:56 AM
This team does not deserve to make the playoffs...

We had a fanastic start to the season and have since gone 2-6... like we do every year. When we finally start to beat pathetic teams at home in december (like buffalo last year and the raiders yeaterday) then I'll agree this team needs to make the playoffs.

Rohirrim
12-21-2009, 09:59 AM
Deserve has nothing to do with it. Come bad or good, I'm going to be sitting somewhere watching the playoffs, enjoying some beverages and munchies. How much better will the experience be if I'm watching the Broncos, instead of somebody else?

Mega-difference.

Go Broncos! :bronxrox:

;D

Tombstone RJ
12-21-2009, 10:00 AM
I so want to believe! Broncos have some serious issues to address before the Philly game and hopefully they can resolve those issues.

Two game winning streak heading into the post season would be fantastic.

TheDave
12-21-2009, 10:05 AM
Deserve has nothing to do with it. Come bad or good, I'm going to be sitting somewhere watching the playoffs, enjoying some beverages and munchies. How much better will the experience be if I'm watching the Broncos, instead of somebody else?

Mega-difference.

Go Broncos! :bronxrox:

;D

Sorry, but watching the Broncos get crushed by real playoff teams isn't my idea of a good time.

Like I said, until this team can figure out how to beat crap teams like oakland AT HOME...well... See Jim Mora's speech.

Ray Finkle
12-21-2009, 10:07 AM
This team does not deserve to make the playoffs...

We had a fanastic start to the season and have since gone 2-6... like we do every year. When we finally start to beat pathetic teams at home in december (like buffalo last year and the raiders yeaterday) then I'll agree this team needs to make the playoffs.

I don't think Orton was hung over yesterday like Jay in Buffalo........

Rohirrim
12-21-2009, 10:08 AM
Sorry, but watching the Broncos get crushed by real playoff teams isn't my idea of a good time.

Like I said, until this team can figure out how to beat crap teams like oakland AT HOME...well... See Jim Mora's speech.

Hey, they are who we thought they were. ;D

I don't care. At this point I just want to watch the Broncos in a playoff game. If I'm going to watch the playoffs anyway, I'd prefer watching my own team.

TheDave
12-21-2009, 10:11 AM
I don't think Orton was hung over yesterday like Jay in Buffalo........

First what does that have to do with anything?

But... What the heck, I'll play...

Hungover, diabetic Jay Cutler = Sober, healthy Kyle Orton.

Great.

I feel much better now.

Dagmar
12-21-2009, 10:26 AM
Got some PMS TheDave? Or are you just a ****ing prick?

TheDave
12-21-2009, 10:30 AM
Got some PMS TheDave? Or are you just a ****ing prick?

Oh I'm sorry... getting my ass kicked by the pathetic raiders with the playoffs on the line puts me in a bad mood...

Hey, maybe I could be a swell poster like you and wish terminal cancer on people in their rep... :thumbs:

Ray Finkle
12-21-2009, 11:22 AM
First what does that have to do with anything?

But... What the heck, I'll play...

Hungover, diabetic Jay Cutler = Sober, healthy Kyle Orton.

Great.

I feel much better now.

one of the reasons Cutler played so poorly that game was because he was "supposedly" hung over badly....

Cool Breeze
12-21-2009, 11:44 AM
We'll win
Philly first
Brian Dawkins goes back home and reminds Philly they made a mistake!

bloodsunday
12-24-2009, 11:18 AM

Dude, you have to choose. It's not always about having a good time. You have to endure bad times in between the good times. That's part of being and NFL fan, and really life in general.

Your team currently has two scenarios in front of them:
1) choke away the playoffs for a fourth consecutive year and endure another painful off season
2) find a way (any way) to get in and take your chances -- even though you may get crushed

So you have to choose. Which would you rather? Don't play this chicken s**t they don't have a chance crap. If you would rather #2, then I submit you aren't a real fan.

bloodsunday
12-24-2009, 11:20 AM
Oh I'm sorry... getting my ass kicked by the pathetic raiders with the playoffs on the line puts me in a bad mood...

Hey, maybe I could be a swell poster like you and wish terminal cancer on people in their rep... :thumbs:

Another successful hi-jack of a meaningful thread to real Bronco fans.

bpc
12-24-2009, 11:22 AM

1. Agree
2. Agree
3. Agree
4. Agree - I think the 1st round of the playoffs would be 50/50 against Cincy or NE. I wouldn't think that going to SD or Indy would be that much of a bad thing because we've played both, and had a lot of success against them in some ways.

Let's hope we have a great gameplan on offense and defense, and can find a way to win out.

Go Broncos.

Taco John
12-24-2009, 11:18 PM
The Arizona Cardinals were 9-7 last year and made it to the Superbowl.

ZONA
12-25-2009, 12:04 AM
The Arizona Cardinals were 9-7 last year and made it to the Superbowl.

And should have won, only the refs missed the obvious block in the back on that long INT return before the half.

Although AZ was the poster child for a mediocre team getting red hot and putting a nice streak together in the playoffs, they still had a Superbowl winning QB at the help with experience in the playoffs. I can't tell you how much that helped them. We don't have that.

NYBronco
12-25-2009, 05:03 AM
Pick up half dozen or more third and whatever and the Broncos can win a couple of games.

Go Broncos!

Bronco Yoda
12-25-2009, 05:09 AM
You really think we'll put in Hillis or throw to Royal or send Scheff out past 2 yards to catch something... .... me neither.

Bob's your Information Minister
12-25-2009, 06:04 AM
Mostly you need to make the playoffs to shut me up.

I think it's ****ing hilarious that the Chiefs have been to the playoffs more recently than the Broncos.

loborugger
12-25-2009, 08:24 AM
If only that were true, Bobo.

Sadly, your tenure here has demonstrated that even when you have no knowledge, no reason to run your mouth, and no one wants to hear what you have to say, you are still here posting away. No, if we went 19 & 0 and brought home the Lombardi trophy, every one our starters went to the Pro Bowl, and our coach was named coach of the year, you would still be here running your trap.

Broncos_OTM
12-25-2009, 09:06 AM
Mostly you need to make the playoffs to shut me up.

I think it's ****ing hilarious that the Chiefs have been to the playoffs more recently than the Broncos.

mostly you need to win a superbowl before you shut me up.

I think its ****ing hilarious that the broncos have won a superbowl more recently then the chiefs.

strafen
12-25-2009, 02:44 PM

Not to mention that when a team makes the play-offs they make extra money.
Owners like that. It's a good thing for everybody...

UberBroncoMan
12-25-2009, 03:44 PM
Making the playoffs imo is going to help us keep some players and maybe get sway some others in FA.

It will also establish a winning attitude and help us retain some older players a little longer.

ie... Dawkins will play at age 37.