PDA

View Full Version : Kyle Orton is Ashamed/Disgusted

UberBroncoMan
12-20-2009, 07:47 PM
http://www.denverbroncos.com/index.php

Watch this post game interview.

You can tell how ashamed and disgusted he is at himself/the entire team for how they played today.

... and rightfully so.

I didn't see any of the excuses or we need to work harder yada yada BS that's been used all season.

Seems like reality has set in.

I've not watched the McDaniels one yet and frankly I don't feel like it. I've had enough today and for a while.

Popps
12-20-2009, 07:49 PM
It's fine. This is painful. He's having a hard time with it.

That said, I have a very hard time blaming this game on him. We made all sorts of mistakes today. He wasn't fantastic, but it's not his fault we can't get enough push up front to run for 3 ****ing yards to put a game away.

They played hard today. They didn't quit. We still have hope... and games like last week and this week help teams figure out what they need to do to be champs.

Bronco LB52
12-20-2009, 07:49 PM
It's not all on Orton. If McDaniels let him throw some vertical passes, it might loosen up the defense and open up the short screens and pick passes that our head coach is in love with.

KipCorrington25
12-20-2009, 07:50 PM
He sucks but he played about as good as he can for his skill set. I don't blame him he gets the most out of his limited skills and is a stand up guy.

colonelbeef
12-20-2009, 08:10 PM
He sucks but he played about as good as he can for his skill set. I don't blame him he gets the most out of his limited skills and is a stand up guy.

Same could be said for Rudy at Notre Dame. That's great and all, but I still don't want him as QB for my football team. This is pro sports, not a charity for untalented nice guys.

LongDongJohnson
12-20-2009, 08:14 PM
orton sacked himself on a key play. i was like wtf. how does orton get sacked when no one touched him.

Popps
12-20-2009, 08:20 PM
orton sacked himself on a key play. i was like wtf. how does orton get sacked when no one touched him.

It was smarter than just about any of his other choices. Cutler would have lobbed it up for an INT. He went down, and kept our lead. The announcers even commented that it was probably the lesser of all evils in that situation.

A better question is, why wasn't he protected? Why didn't he have anyone to throw the ball to?

colonelbeef
12-20-2009, 08:24 PM
It was smarter than just about any of his other choices. Cutler would have lobbed it up for an INT. He went down, and kept our lead. The announcers even commented that it was probably the lesser of all evils in that situation.

A better question is, why wasn't he protected? Why didn't he have anyone to throw the ball to?

Broncos wish they had Cutler instead of Orton, Cutler actually scored tds for the Broncos. 23 ppg looks pretty damn good right about now. 23 ppg beats the raiders today. I bet the defense would love to have last years offense instead of this pile of garbage

outdoor_miner
12-20-2009, 08:25 PM
It's not all on Orton. If McDaniels let him throw some vertical passes, it might loosen up the defense and open up the short screens and pick passes that our head coach is in love with.

This is what I don't friggin understand. Good Lord, he was having success when he actually threw the ball downfield, but McDaniels seemed to handcuff him most of the day.

oubronco
12-20-2009, 08:26 PM

How do you know you see what everyone else see's just whats on the tv screen we don't know if anyone downfield was open or not

broncosteven
12-20-2009, 08:29 PM
...Why didn't he have anyone to throw the ball to?

Clady was covered.

colonelbeef
12-20-2009, 08:30 PM
How do you know you see what everyone else see's just whats on the tv screen we don't know if anyone downfield was open or not

Here's a hint- poops doesn't know anything. He's just looking to conveniently place blame anywhere other than where it actually lies- with Orton and McDaniels.

TheReverend
12-20-2009, 08:30 PM
I saw him out drinking till 6 AM this morning in Lodo.

Broncoman13
12-20-2009, 08:31 PM

That said, I have a very hard time blaming this game on him. We made all sorts of mistakes today. He wasn't fantastic, but it's not his fault we can't get enough push up front to run for 3 ****ing yards to put a game away.

They played hard today. They didn't quit. We still have hope... and games like last week and this week help teams figure out what they need to do to be champs.

This game isn't on Orton, however a QB that can buy some time with his feet is a must in today's game. Look at guys like Drew Brees and Tony Romo. The play is never over b/c they can buy time. Hell, Brett Favre, Peyton Manning, and Tom Brady look like Mike Vick compared to Kyle Orton. He is the biggest statue I've seen since Drew Bledsoe.

Broncoman13
12-20-2009, 08:32 PM

B/c McD wasn't smart enough to give Polumbus help with a TE? Again, with a QB that has some faith in his legs maybe that play is extended and turned into a yard or two gain instead of an eight yard sack???

SoDak Bronco
12-20-2009, 08:51 PM
Broncos wish they had Cutler instead of Orton, Cutler actually scored tds for the Broncos. 23 ppg looks pretty damn good right about now. 23 ppg beats the raiders today. I bet the defense would love to have last years offense instead of this pile of garbage

how does Cutler and his 24 INT help us win this or any other game? He is a loser in the NFL, college, and nothing will change anytime soon bc the guy is a cancer that is a liablilty to his team.

snowspot66
12-20-2009, 08:58 PM

Oh please. It was 20 ppg in 07 and then 23 in 08 and both seasons feature a lot of weak defenses on the schedule. They put up average stats at best against below average competition. This team is around 20 against significantly stronger defenses. Top 10 defenses pretty much every other ****ing week.

You want to talk about a drop in production? Go look at our run TD's scored this year to the last few years.

It's a massive drop. We can't ****ing run the ball in the red zone and short yardage. Are you going to sit there and tell me teams aren't respecting the deep ball in the red zone and that's why they are stacking the line to stop the run?

lex
12-20-2009, 09:00 PM
FWIW, a lot of questions for McDaniels were about playcalling.

strafen
12-20-2009, 09:03 PM
Clady was covered.:rofl:

DBroncos4life
12-20-2009, 09:30 PM
Oh please. It was 20 ppg in 07 and then 23 in 08 and both seasons feature a lot of weak defenses on the schedule. They put up average stats at best against below average competition. This team is around 20 against significantly stronger defenses. Top 10 defenses pretty much every other ****ing week.

You want to talk about a drop in production? Go look at our run TD's scored this year to the last few years.

It's a massive drop. We can't ****ing run the ball in the red zone and short yardage. Are you going to sit there and tell me teams aren't respecting the deep ball in the red zone and that's why they are stacking the line to stop the run?
I know I can't fly so I don't jump off buildings. There is this trick play teams do in the RZ or on third in short its called the forward pass.

bpc
12-20-2009, 09:56 PM
it was smarter than just about any of his other choices. Cutler would have lobbed it up for an int. He went down, and kept our lead. The announcers even commented that it was probably the lesser of all evils in that situation.

spin spin spin!!!!

bpc
12-20-2009, 09:58 PM
Actually, Orton should be taking the blame for the past 8 quarters of futility. The defense played great against the Colts despite having little help from the offense, and he pissed that opportunity away.

Neckbeard wouldn't be starting unless the alternative was Chris Simms. Even he manages to make Fail Orton look good.

Popps
12-20-2009, 10:12 PM
Keep crying, BPC. Cutler isn't coming back.

Go watch Chicago if you want to see INTs that badly.

rugbythug
12-20-2009, 10:16 PM
Actually, Orton should be taking the blame for the past 8 quarters of futility. The defense played great against the Colts despite having little help from the offense, and he pissed that opportunity away.

Neckbeard wouldn't be starting unless the alternative was Chris Simms. Even he manages to make Fail Orton look good.

Um Did you start watching the Colts game at half time or something?

Popps
12-20-2009, 10:18 PM
Um Did you start watching the Colts game at half time or something?

He's a Bears fan, dude.

Actually, a Cutler fan. If Cutler winds up in the UFL, BPC will follow him.

ZONA
12-20-2009, 10:21 PM
The whole team should feel disgusted. We fans feel robbed, again. Robbed of our emotional support. A team that once again had a nice lead halfway through the season and then falls apart at the end only to hand the division over to those suck ass Chargers. They've won it 4 years in a row and 5 of the last 6. I'm getting F'ing sick of this ****. Get your ****ing **** together already. We've won the division one stinking time in the last 10 years and it's excuse after excuse. First it was Shanny just a few key players away and now it's a rebuild. Time for the excuses to stop and for this team to get their **** together.

bpc
12-20-2009, 10:26 PM
Yeah. I saw a defense that was stranded in the first quarter and fell behind along with a outmatched offense. They managed to pull the game back together and allow us to get into as Brandon Marshall took over but the offense still could only manage nickels and dimes against them in the meantime.

Popps, don't you find it funny that you're consistently the one bringing up Cutler now? Hard to argue anything else with the offense you hyped and mcArrogant looking as pathetic as they do? Just a lil' egg on the face?

Well of course you won't call it that. You would rather point to the remaining remenants of the Shanahan roster, and look towards an offensive line which was flawless last year, but now looks out of sorts. Hmmmmm.

And while I won't disagree that there are some replacements needed, when does the HB or QB make a play, become that extra blocker as they say and make some sort of dynamic play to lift the offense?

Quite honestly, what dynamic plays has Orton given us at all in the last couple weeks? There hasn't been a player worse than Kyle Orton, despite what you say. He touches the ball 70 times a game, manages to heave it up 35 times a game and what does our offense have to show for it? The offense reflects the QB and playcalling. Right now we look horrendous.

DBroncos4life
12-20-2009, 10:33 PM
What ever happened to that all world blocking TE we got in the second round?

watermock
12-20-2009, 11:20 PM
What ever happened to that all world blocking TE we got in the second round?

He was on the index card evidently.

What I want to know is why is Graham running seam routes instead of Scheff, and Graham helping move some meat on running plays.

The Colts put 21 on us in the first quarter and we think we almost won?

We played like a bottom feeder all day today.

WE've gotten progessively worse. Marshall showed up as usual. That's it.

24champ
12-20-2009, 11:41 PM
The players can talk all they want about how it hurts, they need to turn this ship around ASAP. I don't know if they started adding stuff in the water in Denver the last few seasons, but I am getting really sick of these quick starts out of the gate, only to crap out and miss the playoffs.

Ratboy
12-21-2009, 02:39 AM
The last pass of the game was money. It was a perfect throw right into Sheffler's body.

Broncomutt
12-21-2009, 03:44 AM
The whole team should feel disgusted. We fans feel robbed, again. Robbed of our emotional support. A team that once again had a nice lead halfway through the season and then falls apart at the end only to hand the division over to those suck ass Chargers. They've won it 4 years in a row and 5 of the last 6. I'm getting F'ing sick of this ****. Get your ****ing **** together already. We've won the division one stinking time in the last 10 years and it's excuse after excuse. First it was Shanny just a few key players away and now it's a rebuild. Time for the excuses to stop and for this team to get their **** together.

Yep.

Muddled
12-21-2009, 05:25 AM
Man, Bronco fans gotta be the most spoiled whining unappeciative fans in the NFL, possibly rivaled by the Cowboy fans. We're 8-6 after blowing up our entire roster this offseason when McD rightfully accepted that Cutler was never going to get it and cut hi losses. Plus there's the matter of that **** poor D he had to fix from pretty much scratch.

We're on track and we've gone 8-6 in the first season of rebuliding, that with a nightmare schedule.

Not sure what to blame for the fan attitude, maybe it's the video game generation, peolpe expecting video game numbers and records, maybe it's just that we're fortunate enough to watch the one team in football that's never once been awful the past 20 years, the worst we've been is 6-10, bet Browns, Lions and Rams fans would kill for that record.

Just annoying people whining like babies' 'cause we lost some football games, we sholud be thankful for how much we've gotten out of this year, even if it ends at 8-8.

rastaman
12-21-2009, 05:41 AM

Why do you always come off like you're talking about a COLLEGE GAME AND COLLEGE PLAYERS!

Its never KYLE'S FAULT nor MCDANIEL'S FAULT!

Sheeeeeesh! This is getting old Popps.

rastaman
12-21-2009, 05:50 AM
Man, Bronco fans gotta be the most spoiled whining unappeciative fans in the NFL, possibly rivaled by the Cowboy fans. We're 8-6 after blowing up our entire roster this offseason when McD rightfully accepted that Cutler was never going to get it and cut hi losses. Plus there's the matter of that **** poor D he had to fix from pretty much scratch.

McD was left with talented WR's and one of the best Off. Lines in the NFL. Does that sound like a rebuilding year? Its not like McD was inheriting the Detroit Lions for christ sakes!

We're on track and we've gone 8-6 in the first season of rebuliding, that with a nightmare schedule.

Again, were we 8-6 LAST season! Was last season a REBUILDING SEASON?

Not sure what to blame for the fan attitude, maybe it's the video game generation, peolpe expecting video game numbers and records, maybe it's just that we're fortunate enough to watch the one team in football that's never once been awful the past 20 years, the worst we've been is 6-10, bet Browns, Lions and Rams fans would kill for that record.

Fans every right to be pissed at this point or fans have every right to be optimistic. I don't understand your complaint here.

Just annoying people whining like babies' 'cause we lost some football games, we sholud be thankful for how much we've gotten out of this year, even if it ends at 8-8.

Why were we not thankful for last season? We finished 8-8? Seems like this season will end similar to last season give or take a game or two? Hell Shanahan proved he could get us to 8-8 or 9-7. Its starting to look like we haven't gone backwards nor are we moving forward.

Muddled
12-21-2009, 06:05 AM
We've cut our losses with the franchise QB and rebuilt the defense from scratch and will at worst have the same record as last year, how is that not moving forwards?

rastaman
12-21-2009, 06:09 AM

Why didn't Orton make something HAPPEN HIMSELF! Why is it that everyone has to be THERE for Kyle??? If the WR's run their routes correctly and Orton throws the ball to wide, or too low, or too high....then once again...its not Kyle's fault the WR's shoud have caught the ball....the recveivers should have scooped the ball off the turf on that low pass, or the receiver should have leaped 36 inches plus to catch Orton's over thrown pass, or the receivers should have had quick reflexes like the Matrix to catch passes thrown behind! The excuses for Orton from you and your ilk are mind bending F**king incredible.

yhova
12-21-2009, 06:15 AM
Please go get Donovan McNabb after this season.

go_broncos
12-21-2009, 06:25 AM
I am disgusted with the way we play in Nov and Dec..
It is really frustrating.
I thought this year is different after we started 6-0.
We won only 2 games out of 8.
Even TEN has a chance to reach playoff's after starting 0-6.

I am starting to wonder if Mcd is really an NFL coach.
His playcalling is pathetic.
He didn't achieve anything as a coach..Yet, he is arrogant..
The only good thing he did is to get rid of cutler.

If we play like this next couple of seasons, he will sit at home watching games.

Ray Finkle
12-21-2009, 06:26 AM
Please go get Donovan McNabb after this season.

he is as inaccurate as Orton on deep throws.....

elsid13
12-21-2009, 06:32 AM
The last pass of the game was money. It was a perfect throw right into Sheffler's body.

Makes you wonder why they didn't go to Sheffler more in the middle of the field earlier doesn't it?

go_broncos
12-21-2009, 06:48 AM
2006 : Started 7-2 and lost to 49ers.
2008: 8-5..missed playoffs, lost to Bills, Raiders
2009 : 6-0..will miss playoffs..lost to WAS and raiders.
2010 : ?

I never seen a team so consistently losing games down the stretch.

Cito Pelon
12-21-2009, 06:49 AM

Well, Orton said it best, they let OAK and all year have "let teams hang around, and hang around, and finally that will catch up with you." Orton also said "it's a matter of execution, the playcalls were good, we got the looks we practiced for all week, we didn't execute."

Very frustrating and infuriating to lose to a TD drive in the final minutes of a home game, in December during a playoff drive. There was many infuriating and frustrating moments in that game. Get the momentum back and then the D immediately allows 4 runs to net 90 yards and OAK puts the ball at the 5. And FG after FG in the redzone, a FG in the 4th Q from the 2 yd line. Sheesh.

bpc
12-21-2009, 06:51 AM

Seems to me, Desean Jackson has been making a lot of plays 50+. Same for Maclin and Avant.

cousinal11
12-21-2009, 06:54 AM
We can't run block and we can't run. That's why we lost this game. We missed Buck.

Traveler
12-21-2009, 06:55 AM
A shame we didn't capitalize on Stokely's big play. We score a touchdown there, game over. Game losing culprits, JMFMcD's ****ty play-calling, failure to capitalize on our red zone chances, and horrible OL & DL play.

Traveler
12-21-2009, 06:56 AM
We can't run block and we can't run. That's why we lost this game. We missed Buck.

Not even Buckhalter helps us out yesterday.

Ray Finkle
12-21-2009, 07:09 AM
Seems to me, Desean Jackson has been making a lot of plays 50+. Same for Maclin and Avant.

I may have lost all the respect I had for your football insight on that post....

watch how many of those throws Maclin and Jackson have had to adjust to in air. Just because you have a long play does not make the QB accurate.

oubronco
12-21-2009, 07:09 AM
I put this lose squarely on McD, he doesn't make ingame adjustments worth a shyt and his playcalling flatout sucks. We were winning on fluke plays and miracles early on then Baltimore showed everyone how to beat us, they take away the short stuff and dare Orton to beat them deep and what does McD call? A fuggin bubble screen!!! For a offensive genius he sucks at playcalling and we are so limited by Orton we need a QB

TheElusiveKyleOrton
12-21-2009, 07:10 AM
B/c McD wasn't smart enough to give Polumbus help with a TE? Again, with a QB that has some faith in his legs maybe that play is extended and turned into a yard or two gain instead of an eight yard sack???

Are you kidding? Did you see that play?

Orton was SURROUNDED. There was no place for him to go. They were coming up the middle, from the right and the left. He was done. He took the sack, and it was the best decision he had.

Good grief, you guys are just desperate to blame stuff on Orton. It's hilarious.

oubronco
12-21-2009, 07:12 AM
Are you kidding? Did you see that play?

Orton was SURROUNDED. There was no place for him to go. They were coming up the middle, from the right and the left. He was done. He took the sack, and it was the best decision he had.

Good grief, you guys are just desperate to blame stuff on Orton. It's hilarious.

Come on moose I know you've heard of throwing the ball away right?

TheElusiveKyleOrton
12-21-2009, 07:13 AM
Come on moose I know you've heard of throwing the ball away right?

Which stops the clock. Durrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Taking a sack was the best thing. It was a five yard loss and the clock keeps moving.

oubronco
12-21-2009, 07:14 AM
Which stops the clock. Durrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Taking a sack was the best thing. It was a five yard loss and the clock keeps moving.

ok, worked out real well didn't it

TheElusiveKyleOrton
12-21-2009, 07:17 AM
ok, worked out real well didn't it

You're right. Orton should have peered into the future in that moment, and thought "now wait a minute, Kyle. Are they going to mount a huge drive with jaMarcus Russel in the closing minutes of this game, taking a one point lead with 35 seconds left, and leaving us to hope for a miracle like we did in Cincy? I should probably throw the ball away, by gum!" Yeah, I'm sure next time he'll do just that.

You have a lead, with the clock winding down, YOU DO NOT STOP THE CLOCK. PERIOD. EVER.

As much as you want to say it was a bad play, football acumen claims otherwise.

There's plenty of blame to go around on this game. I'd suggest you find something relevant and move on.

rastaman
12-21-2009, 07:18 AM
We've cut our losses with the franchise QB and rebuilt the defense from scratch and will at worst have the same record as last year, how is that not moving forwards?

Point is the last 3 seasons with Shanny we were 8-8/9-7. Now it looks as though McD will give us 09 and 010 with 8-8 or 9-7. That's 5 consecutive years of .500 pct. Thats not moving forward, it just means we are consistently inconsistent.

oubronco
12-21-2009, 07:22 AM
You're right. Orton should have peered into the future in that moment, and thought "now wait a minute, Kyle. Are they going to mount a huge drive with jaMarcus Russel in the closing minutes of this game, taking a one point lead with 35 seconds left, and leaving us to hope for a miracle like we did in Cincy? I should probably throw the ball away, by gum!" Yeah, I'm sure next time he'll do just that.

You have a lead, with the clock winding down, YOU DO NOT STOP THE CLOCK. PERIOD. EVER.

As much as you want to say it was a bad play, football acumen claims otherwise.

There's plenty of blame to go around on this game. I'd suggest you find something relevant and move on.

I've always thought scoring more points and putting a team away was the best thing to do

gyldenlove
12-21-2009, 07:23 AM

This game was definitely not on Orton, he wasn't amazing but he was not put in a position to win the game.

So when we played games just like this last year that helped us.......

WolfpackGuy
12-21-2009, 07:24 AM
Why were the Broncos even passing the ball on that next to last drive which lasted a whole 18 seconds?

Denver Broncos at 3:59 OAK DEN

1st and 10 at DEN 24 K.Moreno up the middle to DEN 24 for no gain (W.Joseph).
Timeout #2 by OAK at 03:52.

2nd and 10 at DEN 24 (Shotgun) K.Orton sacked at DEN 15 for -9 yards (G.Ellis).
Timeout #3 by OAK at 03:46.

3rd and 19 at DEN 15 (Shotgun) K.Orton pass incomplete short left to L.Jordan.

4th and 19 at DEN 15 M.Berger punts 59 yards to OAK 26, Center-L.Paxton. J.Higgins to OAK 38 for 12 yards (J.Barrett).

DRIVE TOTALS: OAK 13, DEN 19, 3 plays, -9 yards, 0:18 elapsed

gyldenlove
12-21-2009, 07:27 AM

How is having the same record as last year moving forward?

We replaced a good offense with a bad one and a bad defense with a good one, we just swapped problems. To move forwards you have to win games, and right now we look way too much like we did last year, despite 5 draft picks on the first day, despite changing half the roster.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
12-21-2009, 07:28 AM
Point is the last 3 seasons with Shanny we were 8-8/9-7. Now it looks as though McD will give us 09 and 010 with 8-8 or 9-7. That's 5 consecutive years of .500 pct. Thats not moving forward, it just means we are consistently inconsistent.

/rolleyes

TheElusiveKyleOrton
12-21-2009, 07:30 AM
I've always thought scoring more points and putting a team away was the best thing to do

It is. You tell me where he was supposed to throw that football, ou. The routes were covered. The pocket had collapsed. He could either throw it away and stop the clock, throw it to a blanketed receiver and risk a pick, or take a sack and keep the clock running with a shot for another play.

You tell me: What's best out of those options?

Or perhaps you'd like to propose a fourth option. An alien spaceship comes down to catch the ball from Orton, and crosses the goal line on its way to Bleburg 9, giving the Broncos a touchdown and sealing the game.

DBroncos4life
12-21-2009, 07:31 AM

Its amazing how the Eagles can over come this and make it to the playoffs year in and year out. They must rely on the running game a lot then? He is completing 66.7% of his passes over 41 yards this year, but like you said he is just lucky he is putting the ball in a position for his WRs to make a play on the ball and not the DBs. Orton by the way is 16.7% of his passes over 41 yards. **** our WRs suck

Ray Finkle
12-21-2009, 07:35 AM
Its amazing how the Eagles can over come this and make it to the playoffs year in and year out. They must rely on the running game a lot then? He is completing 66.7% of his passes over 41 yards this year, but like you said he is just lucky he is putting the ball in a position for his WRs to make a play on the ball and not the DBs. Orton by the way is 16.7% of his passes over 41 yards. **** our WRs suck

the Eagles have a pass/run balance of about 60/40. McNabb is in year 10 of the same offense....Orton is in year one.

55CrushEm
12-21-2009, 07:35 AM

It is moving forward.....Rasta just can't think straight with Cutler's balls in his mouth.

gyldenlove
12-21-2009, 07:37 AM
Why were the Broncos even passing the ball on that next to last drive which lasted a whole 18 seconds?

Denver Broncos at 3:59 OAK DEN

1st and 10 at DEN 24 K.Moreno up the middle to DEN 24 for no gain (W.Joseph).
Timeout #2 by OAK at 03:52.

2nd and 10 at DEN 24 (Shotgun) K.Orton sacked at DEN 15 for -9 yards (G.Ellis).
Timeout #3 by OAK at 03:46.

3rd and 19 at DEN 15 (Shotgun) K.Orton pass incomplete short left to L.Jordan.

4th and 19 at DEN 15 M.Berger punts 59 yards to OAK 26, Center-L.Paxton. J.Higgins to OAK 38 for 12 yards (J.Barrett).

DRIVE TOTALS: OAK 13, DEN 19, 3 plays, -9 yards, 0:18 elapsed

One thing that gets me, and it is illustrated nicely by this drive is that we kept running the ball on 1st down and getting into long 2nd down situations.

1st-10, DEN20 15:00 K. Moreno rushed to the right for no gain
1st-10, DEN30 13:38 K. Moreno rushed to the right for 1 yard gain
1st-10, OAK33 10:57 K. Moreno rushed up the middle for no gain

1st-10, 50 7:31 K. Moreno rushed to the left for 4 yard loss

1st-10, DEN1 14:52 K. Moreno rushed to the right for no gain

1st-10, DEN19 9:35 K. Moreno rushed to the right for 1 yard loss
1st-10, DEN30 8:40 L. Jordan rushed to the right for 1 yard loss

1st-10, DEN24 3:59 K. Moreno rushed up the middle for no gain

On 8 our 16 1st downs in the 2nd half we rushed for 1 yard or less, why did we keep doing that? We only had 2 runs that netted anything on 1st down in the 2nd half, a 4 yarder and a 13 yarder, Why didn't we go to the pass?

1st-10, OAK46 11:37 K. Orton passed to E. Royal down the middle for 13 yard gain
1st-10, OAK38 5:28 K. Orton passed to B. Marshall down the middle for 19 yard gain
1st-10, OAK19 4:49 K. Orton rushed to the left for 9 yard gain
1st-6, OAK6 4:01 K. Orton incomplete pass down the middle
1st-2, OAK2 7:26 K. Orton incomplete pass to the right
1st-10, DEN22 0:29 K. Orton sacked by G. Ellis. K. Orton fumbled. T. Polumbus recovered fumble

Aside from our offense struggling in the red zone and especially in goal to go situations and then Orton's illadviced sack on the last desperation drive we did better passing than running.

oubronco
12-21-2009, 07:40 AM
It is. You tell me where he was supposed to throw that football, ou. The routes were covered. The pocket had collapsed. He could either throw it away and stop the clock, throw it to a blanketed receiver and risk a pick, or take a sack and keep the clock running with a shot for another play.

You tell me: What's best out of those options?

Or perhaps you'd like to propose a fourth option. An alien spaceship comes down to catch the ball from Orton, and crosses the goal line on its way to Bleburg 9, giving the Broncos a touchdown and sealing the game.

how do you know that all the recievers were blanketed we only see whats on the tv screen to say all the recievers were blanketed could be true but very unlikely

colonelbeef
12-21-2009, 07:41 AM

Teams don't respect Ortons' ability to scramble, to avoid pressure, to make the difficult throw, absolutely- so they bring the heat in the red zone which effectively bottles up the run and pass game at the same time. You'd have to be poops, or some other moron, in order to think otherwise

TheElusiveKyleOrton
12-21-2009, 07:43 AM
how do you know that all the recievers were blanketed we only see whats on the tv screen to say all the recievers were blanketed could be true but very unlikely

Because I was at the game. There was nothing open.

WolfpackGuy
12-21-2009, 07:46 AM
On 8 our 16 1st downs in the 2nd half we rushed for 1 yard or less, why did we keep doing that? We only had 2 runs that netted anything on 1st down in the 2nd half, a 4 yarder and a 13 yarder, Why didn't we go to the pass?

Agreed, they were WAY too predictable on first down.

On the next to last drive, they should've bled more than 18 damn seconds off the clock.

Also, those 9 yards lost on the Orton sack could've been helpful for field position.

oubronco
12-21-2009, 07:52 AM
Because I was at the game. There was nothing open.

well that would be a good reason. it just baffles me that last year noone could cover our recievers and this year noone can seem to get open

TheElusiveKyleOrton
12-21-2009, 07:55 AM
well that would be a good reason. it just baffles me that last year noone could cover our recievers and this year noone can seem to get open

I agree, and I'm with you on this. the route they called on that play was awfully slow to develop too... and they pinned their ears back to collapse that pocket.

DBroncos4life
12-21-2009, 08:00 AM
the Eagles have a pass/run balance of about 60/40. McNabb is in year 10 of the same offense....Orton is in year one.

So the Eagles willing have a QB that isn't accurate throw the ball more then then they run the ball!!!!! Man how is that team 10-4?

Lets break this down. McNabbs completion % is the highest in the 4th Q. He completes 65.8% of his passes. Orton is the other way around. His completion % drops to its lowest in the 4th Q. He is competing 58.8% of his passes. On 3rd and 11+ McNabb is completing 75% of his passes. He is 21 of 28 which keeps drives going you know which is good. Orton is 57%, 12 of 21.

Orton is having a solid year, but don't think for one second you are going to get me to believe he is a better QB then McNabb.

Rohirrim
12-21-2009, 08:02 AM
Nobody has yet come up with the concept that maybe the Raiders played better than us. Think that's possible? Nahhh. ;D

Anyway, McD is making the best of what he has. After Cutler got his ass traded out of town (thankfully, in hindsight) we were lucky to get Orton out of the deal. We could have been trying to get through this season with Simms and Brandstater. In all these games the Broncos have lost they have been manhandled on the line. Dennison and Nunnely have done the best they could with what they had, but it's just not enough. Losing Bill Johnson probably hurt (it certainly helped the Saints to get him), but the key is not coaches, it's players. These lines need work in the middle. Both of them. I feel confident that McD will go after some players in the offseason (Mankins, Seymour, Wilfork) and the draft (Dan Williams, Iaputi, Tennant, Cody). I watched the lines closely yesterday. The Raiders won at the line of scrimmage. Down after down after down. There's not much a coach, or a passing game, or a running game, can do if the big uglies are not winning at the line of scrimmage.

Ray Finkle
12-21-2009, 08:04 AM
So the Eagles willing have a QB that isn't accurate throw the ball more then then they run the ball!!!!! Man how is that team 10-4?

Lets break this down. McNabbs completion % is the highest in the 4th Q. He completes 65.8% of his passes. Orton is the other way around. His completion % drops to its lowest in the 4th Q. He is competing 58.8% of his passes. On 3rd and 11+ McNabb is completing 75% of his passes. He is 21 of 28 which keeps drives going you know which is good. Orton is 57%, 12 of 21.

Orton is having a solid year, but don't think for one second you are going to get me to believe he is a better QB then McNabb.

where did I say that Orton was the better QB? You really need read the posts. There was a cry for McNabb and I simply said he was inaccurate.

Reid believes the pass sets up the run, not the other way around. The Eagles are 10-4 but their defense has a big part to play in that.

Cito Pelon
12-21-2009, 08:05 AM

I agree, but it's human nature to want more, want better results.

I've been at the forefront of ridiculing people that have sneered at the Bronco prospects this season, but losing Sunday the way the Broncos did . . . . I fully understand some rage.

oubronco
12-21-2009, 08:10 AM
I agree, and I'm with you on this. the route they called on that play was awfully slow to develop too... and they pinned their ears back to collapse that pocket.

that has been what the defenses have been doing since the Baltimore game collapse the pocket with a push up the gut, sit on the short routes and make Orton beat them with longer throws and he isn't getting it done for some reason

Muddled
12-21-2009, 08:11 AM
How is having the same record as last year moving forward?

We replaced a good offense with a bad one and a bad defense with a good one, we just swapped problems. To move forwards you have to win games, and right now we look way too much like we did last year, despite 5 draft picks on the first day, despite changing half the roster.

For one, we do not have the same record yet, and we are still in a playoff spot, on top of that we've had a much tougher schedule. And how do you reckon having to change half the roster in one offseason, means we should expect vast improvement and a division title in year 1?

What McD has done in one year is impressive, he's on the right track. We were way ahead of ourselves with that 6-0 start, had that continued, McD had been nothing short of a miracle. He had to replace half of last year's roster, I mean, it wasn't even a choice, he had to, not a single one of those guys are missed. And NO, I did not forget Cutler, rooting for him last night, was a painful reminder.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
12-21-2009, 08:12 AM
He isn't getting it done because they're getting to him every time. They seem to sit back a bit when we run shotgun, but we rarely run the ball out of shotgun. It's very odd, to me.

oubronco
12-21-2009, 08:14 AM
Nobody has yet come up with the concept that maybe the Raiders played better than us. Think that's possible? Nahhh. ;D

Anyway, McD is making the best of what he has. After Cutler got his ass traded out of town (thankfully, in hindsight) we were lucky to get Orton out of the deal. We could have been trying to get through this season with Simms and Brandstater. In all these games the Broncos have lost they have been manhandled on the line. Dennison and Nunnely have done the best they could with what they had, but it's just not enough. Losing Bill Johnson probably hurt (it certainly helped the Saints to get him), but the key is not coaches, it's players. These lines need work in the middle. Both of them. I feel confident that McD will go after some players in the offseason (Mankins, Seymour, Wilfork) and the draft (Dan Williams, Iaputi, Tennant, Cody). I watched the lines closely yesterday. The Raiders won at the line of scrimmage. Down after down after down. There's not much a coach, or a passing game, or a running game, can do if the big uglies are not winning at the line of scrimmage.

exactly they have needed to fix the d-line for years and now that we're switching blocking schemes we need big powerful guys on the o-line but the problem is there's not alot of them out there

DBroncos4life
12-21-2009, 08:16 AM
where did I say that Orton was the better QB? You really need read the posts. There was a cry for McNabb and I simply said he was inaccurate.

Reid believes the pass sets up the run, not the other way around. The Eagles are 10-4 but their defense has a big part to play in that.

Well we have the 5th rated D and they have the 11th rated D. The 11th rated D is already in the playoffs and the 5th is fighting for its life. Really I would say they are 10-4 because they are 9th in yards and 2nd in scoring. We have the 17th in yards and 20th in scoring.

Popps
12-21-2009, 08:17 AM
What McD has done in one year is impressive, he's on the right track. We were way ahead of ourselves with that 6-0 start, had that continued, McD had been nothing short of a miracle. He had to replace half of last year's roster, I mean, it wasn't even a choice, he had to, not a single one of those guys are missed. And NO, I did not forget Cutler, rooting for him last night, was a painful reminder.

Good post, and I'm not losing any sleep over Boss Baily, Marlon McCree or any of the other now-jobless "starters" we employed.

Those with patience will see a great team develop out of this core, imo.

But, I agree... we're ahead of schedule.

Ray Finkle
12-21-2009, 08:25 AM
Well we have the 5th rated D and they have the 11th rated D. The 11th rated D is already in the playoffs and the 5th is fighting for its life. Really I would say they are 10-4 because they are 9th in yards and 2nd in scoring. We have the 17th in yards and 20th in scoring.

I can't believe people actually look at these general stats and think they are a valid projection of success. Look at the INT totals compared to Denver and Eagles, it is almost 2 to 1. So, let's say they have double the INT's (you think that may shorten the field greatly and inflate the Offense #'s?).

I could take numbers and make a case that not only were the Lions last year NOT the worst team ever but in fact on 4th and 1 from their own 30, they were elite....stats are correlative data....

Beantown Bronco
12-21-2009, 08:39 AM
On the next to last drive, they should've bled more than 18 damn seconds off the clock.

Tough to do when the opposition calls timeout after first and second down.

colonelbeef
12-21-2009, 08:42 AM
Good post, and I'm not losing any sleep over Boss Baily, Marlon McCree or any of the other now-jobless "starters" we employed.

Those with patience will see a great team develop out of this core, imo.

But, I agree... we're ahead of schedule.

Not having a QB= there is no schedule, as there is no shot at a championship.

There will be plenty of jobless players after this year too, unfortunately undeserving ones will get the axe while those more deserving to get cut were all McDaniels draft choices.

DBroncos4life
12-21-2009, 08:44 AM
I can't believe people actually look at these general stats and think they are a valid projection of success. Look at the INT totals compared to Denver and Eagles, it is almost 2 to 1. So, let's say they have double the INT's (you think that may shorten the field greatly and inflate the Offense #'s?).

I could take numbers and make a case that not only were the Lions last year NOT the worst team ever but in fact on 4th and 1 from their own 30, they were elite....stats are correlative data....

I can put two stats from last year and get a pretty good idea that the Lions were the worst team last year. 30th in points scored and 32 in points allowed. I think you can do that year in and year out and get a pretty good idea who was above .500 and below .500 wouldn't you?

Ray Finkle
12-21-2009, 09:12 AM
I can put two stats from last year and get a pretty good idea that the Lions were the worst team last year. 30th in points scored and 32 in points allowed. I think you can do that year in and year out and get a pretty good idea who was above .500 and below .500 wouldn't you?

missed my point.

It was casually looking at stats cannot determine any concrete truths...stats are a correlative figure. You cannot validate anything from them. For example, you cannot statistically signify that smoking will kill you....you can correlate that smoking is not good for you but that is about it. Too many variables.

I was inferring that just look at the overall ranking of the two teams does not give a good picture of what they are....

Old Dude
12-21-2009, 09:19 AM
Biggest problem that I saw was that our O-Line was dominated. We aren't big or strong enough to get any push up the middle. Polumbus is getting schooled at RT. If you can't create running lanes and if you can't protect the QB, your offense isn't going to accomplish much.

Once again, too many three and outs and too many chokes in the red zone - -

It's not going to get better until the O-Line improves and I don't see that happening this season.

cutthemdown
12-21-2009, 09:22 AM
It's simple to see what Broncos need.

1- Keep Doom and Marshall

2- Let Kuper test the market, he really took a step back this yr. Is he injured or what because he's getting pushed around like a rag doll.

3-Replace Wiegman and Hochstien/Hamilton

4- More help at NT, Fields has worn down and needs help

5- More size and talent at inside linebacker, send Woodyard to a bkup/special teams role, he isn't very good.

6- See how bad we got once Hill started to wear down and not play as much? We still need a young stud safety, Bruton, Mcbath IMO will be average players.

Rohirrim
12-21-2009, 09:25 AM
Biggest problem that I saw was that our O-Line was dominated. We aren't big or strong enough to get any push up the middle. Polumbus is getting schooled at RT. If you can't create running lanes and if you can't protect the QB, your offense isn't going to accomplish much.

It's not going to get better until the O-Line improves and I don't see that happening this season.

QFT. The key to the red zone is the ability to impose your will at the line of scrimmage. Until we can do that, the results won't change.

cutthemdown
12-21-2009, 09:32 AM
QFT. The key to the red zone is the ability to impose your will at the line of scrimmage. Until we can do that, the results won't change.

I watched Kuper a lot, he's getting rag dolled also. Even Clady not playing that well IMO. In fact I will go as far to say Clady get's a c for run blocking. It's the reason he's not a pro bowler.

We need more size inside on oline. We need more size/talent on the dline as well. Our dends were getting dominated by Oakland scrubs.

broncosteven
12-21-2009, 09:41 AM
I watched Kuper a lot, he's getting rag dolled also. Even Clady not playing that well IMO. In fact I will go as far to say Clady get's a c for run blocking. It's the reason he's not a pro bowler.

This must be the reason McDaniels wanted to get Clady involved in the passing game.

Hard for a DE to determine if he is staying in to block or feint then go out to catch a pass. Maybe Josh was hoping that threat would slow down Seymore and the pass rush.

If that is true we need a new HC cause I was joking.

Rohirrim
12-21-2009, 09:43 AM
This must be the reason McDaniels wanted to get Clady involved in the passing game.

Hard for a DE to determine if he is staying in to block or feint then go out to catch a pass. Maybe Josh was hoping that threat would slow down Seymore and the pass rush.

If that is true we need a new HC cause I was joking.

But Clady does do a nice flip.

Mr.Meanie
12-21-2009, 09:44 AM
For one, we do not have the same record yet, and we are still in a playoff spot, on top of that we've had a much tougher schedule. And how do you reckon having to change half the roster in one offseason, means we should expect vast improvement and a division title in year 1?

You really ought to post more often. Well said.

2KBack
12-21-2009, 10:12 AM
It blows my mind that people are still blaming Orton. When he was allowed to pass down the field, all of a sudden Denver could move no problem. Then the negative runs up the gut and screen plays 12-17 were called. The play calling was atrocious considering the defense was playing run and short passes. What's nice is that I think everyone is continuing to learn from these struggles. It's not just Ortons first year in the system, it's McD's first year with the team. There are going to be growing pains from a lot of people. It's the whole reason why Denver was such a surprise team this season. To be perfectly honest the issue is consistancy more than anything. Parts of this team are downright unstoppable sometimes, Orton has looked it, Marshall has looked it, even the run game has at points. The defense is plauged with similar issues. One quarter you can't gain a yard, in the next you can run and pass all over them. Such consistancy issues are more a problem in the first year than any other. Enjoy the ride guys, as these issues get ironed out, this team will start to look amazing. It was unlikely to happen this season, but I think it is going in the right direction.

DBroncos4life
12-21-2009, 10:31 AM
missed my point.

It was casually looking at stats cannot determine any concrete truths...stats are a correlative figure. You cannot validate anything from them. For example, you cannot statistically signify that smoking will kill you....you can correlate that smoking is not good for you but that is about it. Too many variables.

I was inferring that just look at the overall ranking of the two teams does not give a good picture of what they are....

What ever dude, they cause more turnovers then they make and they score about 9 more points per game then they allow. They are going to the playoffs, us on the other hand cause more turnovers then we make but we just score 2 more points then we allow. We are pretty close to even in that regards which is pretty close to our .500 record. In most cases you can look at points scored vs points allowed and get a pretty good idea of the record that team has. Like last years Lions team they scored 16.8 points per game and gave up 32.3 you won't win a game giving up twice as many points as you score.

Regardless of the fact that the Eagles are causing more TO then us they are still scoring more then us. I bet you anything they are scoring way more points inside the red zone then us. We kick FGs they score TDs.

Ray Finkle
12-21-2009, 10:35 AM
What ever dude, they cause more turnovers then they make and they score about 9 more points per game then they allow. They are going to the playoffs, us on the other hand cause more turnovers then we make but we just score 2 more points then we allow. We are pretty close to even in that regards which is pretty close to our .500 record. In most cases you can look at points scored vs points allowed and get a pretty good idea of the record that team has. Like last years Lions team they scored 16.8 points per game and gave up 32.3 you won't win a game giving up twice as many points as you score.

Regardless of the fact that the Eagles are causing more TO then us they are still scoring more then us. I bet you anything they are scoring way more points inside the red zone then us. We kick FGs they score TDs.

http://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/red-zone-scoring-pct

yep....they are far superior in redzone percentage....

cutthemdown
12-21-2009, 10:35 AM
Cmon it was the Raiders big runs that won the game for them. You can't let guys for 20 plus yards multiple times. The run defense was a total joke. Our dends got walled off and our small linebackers like woodyard and DJ got dominated and washed out. Woodyard even when he covers the guy doesn't seem big enough to make a play.

Cito Pelon
12-21-2009, 10:38 AM

Good points, and I'm as sick of the perpetual whiners as you are. A lot of us are. But for this game last Sunday, in the situation they were in, at home, a beautiful sunny day, maybe the best grass in the NFL, etc. . . . . . .

cutthemdown
12-21-2009, 10:42 AM
Eagles will crush the Broncos if we play defense like we did vs Oakland.

Ray Finkle
12-21-2009, 10:44 AM
Eagles will crush the Broncos if we play defense like we did vs Oakland.

The Eagles are Jekyll and Hyde team....if they cannot throw the ball, they fall apart....let's hope they fall apart.

DBroncos4life
12-21-2009, 11:06 AM
http://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/red-zone-scoring-pct

yep....they are far superior in redzone percentage....

I take it you disagree then?

Ray Finkle
12-21-2009, 11:11 AM
I take it you disagree then?

when they average more attempts per game, yes.

gunns
12-21-2009, 11:17 AM
What McD has done in one year is impressive, he's on the right track. We were way ahead of ourselves with that 6-0 start, had that continued, McD had been nothing short of a miracle. He had to replace half of last year's roster,

Agree. But if Orton is our starting QB next year I will not have the same feelings. McD and Orton have done a remarkable job with what they have and I look forward to next season, with a better QB. While you can never blame a game loss on one single player, being the QB, you deserve a big chunk of the blame, and Orton does. There are quite a few people on here that seem to have Griese/Plummeritis. Wake up people and remember your history.

DBroncos4life
12-21-2009, 11:23 AM
when they average more attempts per game, yes.

I'm a little lost here. You are saying they are better in the RZ then us because they move the ball better then us to get the ball into the RZ in the first place?

BroncoMan4ever
12-21-2009, 11:35 AM

bull****. i am sure the defense would love to have an offense that turned the ball over on average twice a game putting the defense into really ****ty positions, and losing us games.

Nobody wants Cutler back except the few remaining nut swinger fans who believe potential is better than actual proven success.

also, the defense didn't do any favors yesterday allowing the Raiders to run all over them.

BroncoMan4ever
12-21-2009, 11:39 AM
Agree. But if Orton is our starting QB next year I will not have the same feelings. McD and Orton have done a remarkable job with what they have and I look forward to next season, with a better QB. While you can never blame a game loss on one single player, being the QB, you deserve a big chunk of the blame, and Orton does. There are quite a few people on here that seem to have Griese/Plummeritis. Wake up people and remember your history.

funny thing about people complaining about Orton being like Plummer or Griese, those 2 QBs got us to the playoffs.

Ray Finkle
12-21-2009, 11:56 AM
I'm a little lost here. You are saying they are better in the RZ then us because they move the ball better then us to get the ball into the RZ in the first place?

they have a higher scoring % and more attempts.

They have also kicked more field goals per game than Denver.

2.4 to 2.3

Added to more scoring opportunities a game.

3.3 to 2.9

more turnovers create more chances to score....

Philly are at a +1.2 per game. Denver is +.4

Cito Pelon
12-21-2009, 12:05 PM
It's odd that Orton slides around away from the pressure sometimes, but doesn't do so consistently. I'm wondering just how good Orton can be with some more coaching. He's a young guy with a lot of starts under his belt, and a good starting record, has confidence and durability, plays well hurt. He has a good arm, good legs, he's not slow at all. A little patience plus coaching and Orton could be real good.

Rigs11
12-21-2009, 12:14 PM
It's odd that Orton slides around away from the pressure sometimes, but doesn't do so consistently. I'm wondering just how good Orton can be with some more coaching. He's a young guy with a lot of starts under his belt, and a good starting record, has confidence and durability, plays well hurt. He has a good arm, good legs, he's not slow at all. A little patience plus coaching and Orton could be real good.
Nope he has to be Cutleresque in his first year with a team that also happens to have a new head coach.:wiggle:

TailgateNut
12-21-2009, 02:18 PM

I'll keep it simple. Go **** yourself! If Cutler would have been at the helm last night, the dillwad would have thrown 6 interceptions.

Paladin
12-21-2009, 02:23 PM
Same could be said for Rudy at Notre Dame. That's great and all, but I still don't want him as QB for my football team. This is pro sports, not a charity for untalented nice guys.

So what are you going to do about it? How much of "your" football team do you own? Dork.

I think we all understand you don't like Orton. Give up the bi**hig.....

Paladin
12-21-2009, 02:26 PM
I'll keep it simple. Go **** yourself! If Cutler would have been at the helm last night, the dillwad would have thrown 6 interceptions.

This +1

Especially the "Go **** yourself" part......

ak1971
12-21-2009, 02:29 PM
from kingneckbeard..

Well **** me right in my puckered craphole. How in the **** did we get beat by that fat ****tard??! I'm embarrassed for my unborn kids

Paladin
12-21-2009, 02:30 PM
<TABLE class=tborder id=post2684126 cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=5 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt1>This message is hidden because colonelbeef is on your ignore list (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/profile.php?do=ignorelist).
</TD></TR><!-- / main bar --></TBODY></TABLE>

I have this pr*ck on ignore on two boards so far. Is there a third?

mr007
12-21-2009, 02:50 PM

Are you serious? He might be the slowest QB in the league.

tsiguy96
12-21-2009, 02:51 PM

love reading logical posts here. even clady is regressing this year.

TailgateNut
12-21-2009, 02:55 PM

Shoulda heard my wife and the "preacher" who sits next to me last night.

Too much for my virgin ears.;D

Our O-line sucked but don't tell jhns. He still thinks replacing Orton will fix all our problems.

The O-line was getting run over like roadkill on an interstate.

oubronco
12-21-2009, 03:59 PM
funny thing about people complaining about Orton being like Plummer or Griese, those 2 QBs got us to the playoffs.

DAMN who's the hottie in the avatar

gyldenlove
12-21-2009, 04:12 PM

Exactly a 1 year ago, we were 8-6, had a strangle hold on a playoff spot all we needed was to win at home against a Buffalo team with a losing record.

This year we are 8-6 we have a somewhat firm grip on a playoff spot and all we have to do is win out.

Last year we had an offense that scored 23 points per game and gained 395 yards per game, this year we have an offense that scores 19.5 points per game and gains 335 yards per game.

We had a defense that gave up 375 yards per game and let in 28 points per game, this year we give up 18 points per game and 295 yards.

If we sanitize out the last 2 games of the season last year our defense is better (26 points per and a few less yards as well).

We have replaced a bad defense with a good one, no doubt about that. But we have also replaced a good offense with a bad one.

We are in the exact same situation we were in 12 months ago, and don't give me that BS about having a tougher schedule than last year. The AFC West is the same as last year, we played the NFC South last year which produced no losing teams and 3 teams better than .500 which is the same the NFC East will do this year, last year we played AFC East with 3 teams finishing 9-7 or which is better than what the AFC North will do this year.

You are right though, we are on track, to the same place we were last year.

What I never understood is this willingness to accept losing because we have a new coach. Since when did losing become acceptable? 8-8 wasn't good enough for Shanahan and its not good enough Mcdaniels, he was hired to improve the team and since we are in the same boat as last year we are not improved.

Cito Pelon
12-21-2009, 04:29 PM
Are you serious? He might be the slowest QB in the league.

Orton has good wheels. It's a matter of when he chooses to run, which isn't often.

Slowest QB in the league? Don't make me laugh.

oubronco
12-21-2009, 04:30 PM
Orton has good wheels. It's a matter of when he chooses to run, which isn't often.

Slowest QB in the league? Don't make me laugh.

who's slower

gunns
12-21-2009, 04:50 PM

They played well enough to get us to the playoffs and as with Plummer we won a playoff game in spite of him and he was instrumental in the loss in the next playoff game. It still took people awhile to realize that he wasn't going to be instrumental in us winning one and they made excuse after excuse for him. For some players, there is a ceiling to their talent. And no, I am not wishing at all for Cutler.

Cito Pelon
12-21-2009, 05:06 PM
who's slower

Roeth, Ryan, Flacco, Franchez, Favre, Rodgers, Smith, Schaub, Rivers, Russel.

Orton can compete with any QB in the league in a foot race if he chooses to do so. Dude is not slow of foot.

orange 4 life
12-21-2009, 06:43 PM

I know because I sit in the 5th level with a great bird's eye view.

No one was open.

Orton played very well (only a couple throws all day that were much off mark) and once again got screwed by SHAMEFUL playcalling and another defensive collapse on the final drive.

Bottom line is our playcalling in short yardage and in the redzone has been awful all season, and we're paying for it lately.

If we make another VERY good qb (who is a SPECTACULAR leader) the scapegoat I'm gonna lose my freaking mind.

orange 4 life
12-21-2009, 06:48 PM

Orton can compete with any QB in the league in a foot race if he chooses to do so. Dude is not slow of foot.

People obviously don't realize how ankle injuries affect a player.

That aside, the other typical complaint is that he doesn't have a strong arm, and that is an even bigger myth.

Sure, the guy is no John Elway, but he is also no Chad Pennington.
Orton is a little ABOVE average in arm strength.

At the end of the day this is a guy that can make all the throws, plays hurt, is tough as nails, NEVER bus rolls his team or coaches, and is a fantastic leader.

We need to sign him long term. Period.

DBroncos4life
12-21-2009, 07:10 PM

I'm sure you have combine stats to back this up then? How about posting the proof or are you just making a guess.

Popps
12-21-2009, 07:38 PM
I know because I sit in the 5th level with a great bird's eye view.

No one was open.

Orton played very well (only a couple throws all day that were much off mark) and once again got screwed by SHAMEFUL playcalling and another defensive collapse on the final drive.

Bottom line is our playcalling in short yardage and in the redzone has been awful all season, and we're paying for it lately.

If we make another VERY good qb (who is a SPECTACULAR leader) the scapegoat I'm gonna lose my freaking mind.

Good post, Jake.

I think we're struggling to get guys open, as well. Kyle may be conservative, but it just looks to me like our guys are blanketed, so often.

To me, it just seems like we've got a lot of work to do in this scheme. It's just not easy to replace an entire offense in one season.

Still, when we're running the ball... enough seems to be there in the passing game. We've simply got to be able to line up and beat people off the ball. We got pushed backwards in the interior and right side all day yesterday.

I wasn't crazy about the play-calling, either... but I DID like that we tried to commit to the run. I think it may have come across as stubborn, but you have to commit to it, to an extent.

Still, I'm with you... using the middle of the field would have seemed a better idea at times, yesterday. We've got teams expecting screens and east west plays. We've got to work in more of the alternative.

Once again... with all of the buzz about this game, we had a 6 point lead with a couple minutes to go. We just needed to make a play, either on offense at the goal line (before the 6 point lead) or on D to stop them on that last drive.

McDaniels isn't just throwing out cliches. You really do have to execute at those times, and we couldn't do it. It was so close, too. Two times on that last drive, we had batted a ball up in the air. They just caught the right breaks and made the right plays.

Brutal, painful... but we move on.

We've still got potential for...

1. A playoff game.

2. A winning season.

I'd say that prior to the season, most Broncos fans would have given an index finger (at least) for that kind of outcome. Now, you've got little babies pissing their pants as if we should have been in the Superbowl this season after a complete organizational overhaul.

Hang in there, man. Enjoy the rest of the season, brother.

SportinOne
12-21-2009, 08:10 PM

good lord. this is the NFL. you are not guaranteed a nice cushy pocket on every down. If the line is that bad then he should be aware of that fact. after all, he has been the quarterback basically all year long.

oh, but the announcer commented that it was a good move. i guess that validates your point.

colonelbeef
12-21-2009, 08:29 PM
<TABLE class=tborder id=post2684126 cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=5 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt1>This message is hidden because colonelbeef is on your ignore list (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/profile.php?do=ignorelist).
</TD></TR><!-- / main bar --></TBODY></TABLE>

I have this pr*ck on ignore on two boards so far. Is there a third?

Understandable, you're a total p***Y, and are acting accordingly

Footnote- I'm not on any other boards, somebody might want to let the moron know

~Crash~
12-21-2009, 08:38 PM
can someone tell me why the raider that slammed Orton to the turf then hit the back of his helmet with his closed fist was not ejected from the game ? not even a flag ? it was a let hit then he drove Orton into the field ... I love what the so called announcer said...

~Crash~
12-21-2009, 08:39 PM
oh had that been called there is a good chance we win the game we would of had a chance at a field goal

Popps
12-21-2009, 08:50 PM
good lord. this is the NFL. you are not guaranteed a nice cushy pocket on every down. If the line is that bad then he should be aware of that fact. after all, he has been the quarterback basically all year long.

The protection got much worse without Harris, and beyond that... it's more the run-blocking that I think is struggling. (Not that pass protection has been stellar.)

Popps
12-21-2009, 10:06 PM

Why does he look so damned slow, then?

I love what the guy brings, but he sure looks slow to me.

outdoor_miner
12-21-2009, 10:39 PM
Why does he look so damned slow, then?

I love what the guy brings, but he sure looks slow to me.

I think his ankle is still bothering him... He looked more mobile early in the year (to my eyes). He was at least able to move around in the pocket and avoid pressure a little better.

Still, I don't see what Cito is claiming. It is probably my #1 concern with Orton. I'd definitely put him towards the bottom of the league, but I certainly can't prove that.

broncocalijohn
12-21-2009, 10:41 PM
Understandable, you're a total p***Y, and are acting accordingly

Footnote- I'm not on any other boards, somebody might want to let the moron know

can we recommend another board for ya?

O4L, i dont see us signing Orton for a long term deal. Unless McD sees something in him and can make him some superstar that everyone strives to have (and never guaranteed), I think we keep him no more than 2 more seasons. Nothing wrong with drafting one, but I dont think we get one with the first pick. 2011 probably unless Brandstater is determined to be fighting for that starting job. If we had the OL working and could do something in short yard situations, we would have had a few more victories.

Popps
12-21-2009, 10:54 PM
I think his ankle is still bothering him... He looked more mobile early in the year (to my eyes). He was at least able to move around in the pocket and avoid pressure a little better.

Still, I don't see what Cito is claiming. It is probably my #1 concern with Orton. I'd definitely put him towards the bottom of the league, but I certainly can't prove that.

I turned my ankle playing hoops a week or so before Cutler did. I've been back out playing for about 10 days or so, but it's still sore. No question it's still bothering him.

Agree, though. He doesn't look fleet of foot. But, that's not his game, really. As I said, he's a poor man's Kurt Warner, and I mean that as a compliment.

DBroncos4life
12-22-2009, 08:25 AM
I turned my ankle playing hoops a week or so before Cutler did. I've been back out playing for about 10 days or so, but it's still sore. No question it's still bothering him.

Agree, though. He doesn't look fleet of foot. But, that's not his game, really. As I said, he's a poor man's Kurt Warner, and I mean that as a compliment.

I'm sure you mean ORTON, but you have talked about Cutler so much you can't even remember who our starting QB is.

Muddled
12-22-2009, 12:12 PM
Exactly a 1 year ago, we were 8-6, had a strangle hold on a playoff spot all we needed was to win at home against a Buffalo team with a losing record.

This year we are 8-6 we have a somewhat firm grip on a playoff spot and all we have to do is win out.

Last year we had an offense that scored 23 points per game and gained 395 yards per game, this year we have an offense that scores 19.5 points per game and gains 335 yards per game.

We had a defense that gave up 375 yards per game and let in 28 points per game, this year we give up 18 points per game and 295 yards.

If we sanitize out the last 2 games of the season last year our defense is better (26 points per and a few less yards as well).

We have replaced a bad defense with a good one, no doubt about that. But we have also replaced a good offense with a bad one.

We are in the exact same situation we were in 12 months ago, and don't give me that BS about having a tougher schedule than last year. The AFC West is the same as last year, we played the NFC South last year which produced no losing teams and 3 teams better than .500 which is the same the NFC East will do this year, last year we played AFC East with 3 teams finishing 9-7 or which is better than what the AFC North will do this year.

You are right though, we are on track, to the same place we were last year.

What I never understood is this willingness to accept losing because we have a new coach. Since when did losing become acceptable? 8-8 wasn't good enough for Shanahan and its not good enough Mcdaniels, he was hired to improve the team and since we are in the same boat as last year we are not improved.

This is tiring, but I'll give it one last go.

You blurt out stats like this is fantasy football, what I've seen from the team this year goes beyond that, the attitude is changed, people come to work, do you think last year's squad had ever come back to make a game of it after going down 21-0 to Indy? Gone are the days of our QB blaming everyone but himself, getting in childish screaming matches with teams that just flattened us, gone too are the days of wildly celebrating stops for short gains on 1st down. Now we have a group of hardworking blue collar guys, who come to work every day. To achieve this in just one year, while replacing most of the D and the QB while installing new schemes on both sides of the ball is remarkable. With time and infusion of talent I see great things coming.

Oh, and you conveniently left out the most important offensivce stat of all- turnovers, go figure. Maybe you can tell me which offensive stat is most collaborate to winning pct, all those you blurted out or committing fewer turnovers than the opposition.

Rohirrim
12-22-2009, 12:18 PM
I hear people attacking the playcalling, especially on third and short, and I agree, it doesn't look good, but I wonder. Given that McD might have no faith in his Oline to play pass protect on screens, laterals to the flats, pitch outs, and whatnot, what other options does he have? Same with running out of the gun. Maybe running it up the gut, or off tackle, is the percentage play? At least you know you're not going to lose five yards. ???

Elway's Pigeon Toes
12-22-2009, 01:28 PM

Yeah because the 49.8 rating and zero TD's Cutler threw against Oakland at Invesco in 2008 would have beat the Raiders this year. Hilarious!