PDA

View Full Version : Would people still go nuts about P. HILL if he were black?

Blart
12-20-2009, 05:55 AM
I'm curious how much race plays a factor in the appeal of P. Hill.

tsiguy96
12-20-2009, 06:02 AM
it has more to do with having a ridiculous smash mouth RB who blows people constnatly for positive yardage. not just moving them, he punishes D's who try to tackle him. and can catch as good as any back in the league, but doesnt get opportunities. FB is such a wasted position for him on this offense when his primary job is to get in front of people.

Cleo McDowell
12-20-2009, 06:08 AM
lets be realistic here. it plays a factor.

Meck77
12-20-2009, 06:11 AM
Blart I find it interesting you'd start a thread like this considering you are about the only guy on here who judges a player by his looks.

The Joker
12-20-2009, 06:12 AM
People are always more attracted to something that is a novelty, and a white guy getting handoffs in the NFL certainly is that.

So yeah, I think him being white certainly adds an element to the fascination for people, even if it is a subconscious thing.

People would still be asking questions about him not getting carries if he were black though, make no mistake about it.

Agree with tsiguy though, the best move for him is to be a full time running back. He's pretty much **** as a lead blocker, which is the primary role of a FB. All those extra things he brings to the table don't really matter a great deal if he can't do the most basic part of his job with any success.

His best talent is running forward with a football in his hands, I'd just let him do that full time and make Larsen the full time FB.

atomicbloke
12-20-2009, 06:30 AM
I am sure people would go even more nuts if he were a Chinese woman.

GeniusatWork
12-20-2009, 06:40 AM

I agree. It is definetley a factor but how much IDK.

BroncoBuff
12-20-2009, 06:45 AM
Yes, as a player. But there wouldn't be near as many Hillis jerseys around.

ColoradoDarin
12-20-2009, 06:46 AM
Was race a factor in peoples love for Hixon or JMFW? Maybe there is some novelty to it, but I think this board would still be nuts for Peyton.

BroncoBuff
12-20-2009, 06:55 AM
Was race a factor in peoples love for Hixon or JMFW?
Those guys were OM novelty things ... not based on their play. On the other hand, Hillis definitely earned his praise on the field (if you remember he was briefly a holdout in camp). Remember Quentin Griffin had a pretty big following for awhile there, as did Portis and Mike Anderson.

People loved Mike because he was a Marine and a free agent, people love Hillis because he was a 7th rounder. Lots of it is the 'underdog made good' narrative.

ak1971
12-20-2009, 06:57 AM
I am sure people would go even more nuts if he were a Chinese woman.

or if he looked like this
http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk298/AK7745/81011215932212.jpg

BroncoBuff
12-20-2009, 07:01 AM
or if he looked like this
http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk298/AK7745/81011215932212.jpg

Which one is Hillis?

RhymesayersDU
12-20-2009, 07:43 AM
Definitely a factor. To say otherwise is a bit naive.

Although with that said, the dude's tough running and all around great play obviously has a lot to do with it as well. I'd say it's a "perfect storm" so to speak of a white dude running the ball who has made big plays in games last year. If he didn't have any talent, the white novelty would have worn off.

Pony Boy
12-20-2009, 08:10 AM
"White Men Can't Run"

Last white-guy to gain over 1K in NFL Craig James '85' Patriots 1,227 yards

rastaman
12-20-2009, 08:13 AM

How so?

DBroncos4life
12-20-2009, 08:25 AM
White America needs a great white RB and a great white heavy weight champion. Ha!

Bronco Warrior
12-20-2009, 08:30 AM
This might be the most ****stirring thread yet..lol! Did People love Eddie Mac cause he was white or because he played hard and was tough as nails? JMFW was a under-rated player who was compared to a young Bailey in an earlier game by a commentator, and he tackled consistantly, and we cut him for a brokedown ass Try Law! And OMG!! He was black!! Only biggots and racisists would even care what color the guy is, sub or any other consiously. The guy (Hillis) is a punisher on a team that has lacked that eliment on crucial moments with him sitting on the bench! That is the Issue! Not color! If a guy is as tough and brutal as Hillis at RB, he could be purple with yellow polka Dots for all I care!!

ghwk
12-20-2009, 08:30 AM
I for one couldn't care less and think it is a stupid thread. I'm pulling for anyone that totes the rock well and would give my left nut to have TD in his prime again.

strafen
12-20-2009, 09:12 AM
This board has hit lows I thought it was impossible.There are a bunch of morons on this board killing it.
Too many stupid people posting stupid crap.The reputation this forums has in Colorado, if you've ever been at DenverBroncos.com forum or the BroncosCountry forum is how negative, hostile and pretty much lawless this board is.
Nobody gives a sh*t about what gets posted, or if somebody spams the board like in the last couple of days with parody threads and stupid childish threads that are backed up and copied by other equally retarded morons because they think that if 3 morons think is funny, acting like one will just make you look cool.

There's a reason why the last registered meber was back in October 26.

This board has a lot of work to do to clean its image

listopencil
12-20-2009, 09:15 AM
This board has hit lows I thought it was impossible.There are a bunch of morons on this board killing it.Too many stupid people posting stupid crap.The reputation this forums has in Colorado, if you've ever been at DenverBroncos.com forum or the BroncosCountry forum is how negative, hostile and pretty much lawless this board is.Nobody gives a sh*t about what gets posted, or if somebody spams the board like in the last couple of days with parody threads and stuid childish threads that are backed up and copied by other equally retarded morons because they think that if 3 morons think is funny, acting like one will just make you look cool.There's a reason why the last registered meber was back in Octuber 26.This board has a lot of work to do to clean its image

Yes, this thread is stupid. The point it is trying to make is ridiculous. But really? That's what you are going to complain about? The image of the board? Who gives a ****?

strafen
12-20-2009, 09:17 AM
Yes, this thread is stupid. The point it is trying to make is ridiculous. But really? That's what you are going to complain about? The image of the board? Who gives a ****?Yes, that's what I'm complaining about.
I guess I have higher standards than this...

Bronco Warrior
12-20-2009, 09:23 AM
This board has hit lows I thought it was impossible.There are a bunch of morons on this board killing it.
Too many stupid people posting stupid crap.The reputation this forums has in Colorado, if you've ever been at DenverBroncos.com forum or the BroncosCountry forum is how negative, hostile and pretty much lawless this board is.
Nobody gives a sh*t about what gets posted, or if somebody spams the board like in the last couple of days with parody threads and stupid childish threads that are backed up and copied by other equally retarded morons because they think that if 3 morons think is funny, acting like one will just make you look cool.

There's a reason why the last registered meber was back in October 26.

This board has a lot of work to do to clean its image

AMEN!! This board is a bunch of immature suckbags that ruin it for the rest of us. Very few can actually discuss football on an intelligent level of any kind. You can be booted off Bronco Country for disagreeing with a mod (My ban ends on Jan 5th lol)... this Board you could molest an old lady and post the video and the "Mods" wouldn't do anything. :(. We should all be embarrassed that we are forced to be here instead of a decent page. ;)

400HZ
12-20-2009, 09:23 AM
People always pull for the underdog. Especially the lily-skinned variety.

Bronx33
12-20-2009, 09:24 AM
Just get the freaking firstdown! i don't care what color the RB is.

Hogan11
12-20-2009, 09:43 AM
The Racemen always have to work the "issue" in. It's how they get off.

Recognize it for what it is, who they are and use the ignore feature.....problem solved.

tsiguy96
12-20-2009, 09:48 AM
AMEN!! This board is a bunch of immature suckbags that ruin it for the rest of us. Very few can actually discuss football on an intelligent level of any kind. You can be booted off Bronco Country for disagreeing with a mod (My ban ends on Jan 5th lol)... this Board you could molest an old lady and post the video and the "Mods" wouldn't do anything. :(. We should all be embarrassed that we are forced to be here instead of a decent page. ;)

you dont discuss football idiot. in fact, most people here dont even know what you ever try to discuss. you lie so often about stupid ****, and stuff you arent lying about, you are just completely 100% wrong about.

UberBroncoMan
12-20-2009, 09:49 AM
I know for one I'd still like Peyton if he was black.

Who should really give a **** about pigmentation.

The man runs like the damn Juggernaut. He could be part unicorn for all I care.

Bronx33
12-20-2009, 09:50 AM
WE HAVE A reputation!

Bronco Warrior
12-20-2009, 09:57 AM
you dont discuss football idiot. in fact, most people here dont even know what you ever try to discuss. you lie so often about stupid ****, and stuff you arent lying about, you are just completely 100% wrong about.

Proving my point! Thanks assmunch!LOL
While I do get sidetracked by losers jerking off in their basemets to pics of thier sister instead of having anything to say about football (Thanks TSI) I'm here to talk football not argue with retards.

PS People who have actually lived life and do things besides playing Madden and talking **** on the Net...aren't lying just because you wish they were!Hilarious!
Jealousy is such an ugly emotion!

Bronco Warrior
12-20-2009, 09:59 AM
Racism is a pigment of the imagination!

LongDongJohnson
12-20-2009, 10:06 AM
only reason people like hillis is because he is white. He's supposed to be the next white hope

Bronco Warrior
12-20-2009, 10:13 AM
only reason people like hillis is because he is white. He's supposed to be the next white hope

Wow..and amazing combo of Niave, Racist, and stupid all in one package! Again JMFW wasn't white, so why was he so popular? Clady is a fan fav..is he white? Eddie Royal? Oh Wait! Kern was white..and he was popular..I guess you are right! I take it all back! LOL!

Pony Boy
12-20-2009, 10:38 AM
I know for one I'd still like Peyton if he was black.

I think Peyton should play in "Black Face" .... Oh, wait, we already had a thread about that ...... sorry

Bronco Warrior
12-20-2009, 10:43 AM
I think Peyton should play in "Black Face" .... Oh, wait, we already had a thread about that ...... sorry

LOL!:thumbsup:

Blart
12-20-2009, 10:46 AM
The reputation this forums has in Colorado, if you've ever been at DenverBroncos.com forum or the BroncosCountry forum is how negative, hostile and pretty much lawless this board is.

Good to know OM is still where it's at.

azbroncfan
12-20-2009, 11:07 AM
What if he was a gay, half black half thai, RB that played college ball at CU?

BroncoMan4ever
12-20-2009, 12:12 PM
i don't think anything about his appeal comes from race.

we Broncos fans have been starved for a good rushing threat since Portis. and last season he stepped into the lineup and ran great, he punished defenders and showed the fans rushing ability we hadn't seen in years.

now that he is no longer getting his reps, many fans still wish he would get some carries because of what they remember of him last season. not necessarily because he is a better option than who we have now, but because we remember him being light years better than the trash we had up until this season.

BroncoMan4ever
12-20-2009, 12:14 PM
What if he was a gay, half black half thai, RB that played college ball at CU?

hey, that is not cool.

what is wrong with playing ball at CU? ;D

SonOfLe-loLang
12-20-2009, 12:18 PM
Absolutely does. The Great White Hope. Race plays a role in more than most people think, mostly on a subconscious level.

Bronco Warrior
12-20-2009, 12:24 PM
Absolutely does. The Great White Hope. Race plays a role in more than most people think, mostly on a subconscious level.

I guess for the yopung stupid and immature it does! But not for the rest of us. I was a huge Torain fan and was pissed as hell when we cut him and kept jordan..oh wait Torain was black..what was I thinking?

MrPeepers
12-20-2009, 12:28 PM
I look at Hillis alot like Mike Anderson, hard nosed runners without much fanfare coming into the team. Anderson was special as a former marine, good american type, older NFL rookie and he excelled as a rookie after the loss of TD (yes, i remember the pot suspensions that came later) Hillis truly is not as good a story, he's a little fanfare recruit who played 3rd fiddle behind mcfadden, he's a hard nosed runner, southern boy. I think at the respective stages in both of their careers people liked Mike better. I don't know that race plays as much a role, I think it's a novelty, the performance and hard running is what makes you love them.

SonOfLe-loLang
12-20-2009, 12:28 PM
I guess for the yopung stupid and immature it does! But not for the rest of us. I was a huge Torain fan and was pissed as hell when we cut him and kept jordan..oh wait Torain was black..what was I thinking?

What the **** does that have to do anything? I didn't call anyone a racist or say that people solely choose who they root for based on race. I'm saying, on planet Earth, race is always apart of the conversation. We are slowly getting better as a society regarding how we handle the conversation, but its still a conversation.

Wake up asshole.

BroncoMan4ever
12-20-2009, 12:29 PM

i agree. i don't care if the guy is black, white, brown, red, yellow, or whatever. if the guy can play ball and make the team better, get him on the field.

SonOfLe-loLang
12-20-2009, 12:34 PM
i agree. i don't care if the guy is black, white, brown, red, yellow, or whatever. if the guy can play ball and make the team better, get him on the field.

I dont care either, i was speaking in generalities and definitely suggests some of the fascination with Hillis.

ghwk
12-20-2009, 12:57 PM
What the **** does that have to do anything? I didn't call anyone a racist or say that people solely choose who they root for based on race. I'm saying, on planet Earth, race is always apart of the conversation. We are slowly getting better as a society regarding how we handle the conversation, but its still a conversation.

Wake up a-hole.

You are wrong about it being part of every conversation. It just isn't for everyone. I look at music the same way. I don't care about color or background. If I like what you do, I like what you do.

I am not saying it isn't part of many conversations, and unfortunately for some, like the boob who started this thread, it is unfortunately highly prevalent.

2KBack
12-20-2009, 01:01 PM
I look at Hillis alot like Mike Anderson, hard nosed runners without much fanfare coming into the team. Anderson was special as a former marine, good american type, older NFL rookie and he excelled as a rookie after the loss of TD (yes, i remember the pot suspensions that came later) Hillis truly is not as good a story, he's a little fanfare recruit who played 3rd fiddle behind mcfadden, he's a hard nosed runner, southern boy. I think at the respective stages in both of their careers people liked Mike better. I don't know that race plays as much a role, I think it's a novelty, the performance and hard running is what makes you love them.

Yeah, Mike may have come out of nowhere, but he did so to the tune of offensive rookie of the year running for 1500 yards an 15 (15!) touchdowns while only starting 12 games. That'll make a guy a favorite in no time. Hillis is a strong runnner, but he hasn't burst on the scene in quite the same fashion.

Popps
12-20-2009, 01:02 PM
This thread is bull****. We've already pulled the race card in my Hillis thread multiple times. :)

manchambo
12-20-2009, 01:11 PM
IMHO, it has something, but not everything, to do with race. This town has a long history of loving white players out of proportion to their play.