PDA

View Full Version : Broncos WR goes from malcontent to magnificent

80smith
12-19-2009, 11:08 PM
I hope Brandon stays this way!

ENGLEWOOD (AP) - Brandon Marshall brought his 17-year-old cousin to Denver to get him out of the same menacing Pittsburgh neighborhood where he was raised.

The move has been a success for both.

Under Marshall's wing, Rayshon Williams has improved both his grades and his football skills at Mullen High School, where the junior wide receiver is already drawing interest from NCAA programs.

Marshall, the Denver Broncos' star receiver whose career has been marked by professional and personal slip-ups, has done some growing up himself over the last four months.

"There's a lot of things that young athletes deal with outside of football, the transition from college sports, where you're pretty much sheltered, to a professional athlete. It's scary and it could be dangerous," Marshall said. "The transition for me didn't go as well as I wanted it to, but having family like Ray in my life in a way made me grow faster and become more accountable."

His teammates say they've seen a maturation in Marshall, predicting he'll no longer find himself in commissioner Roger Goodell's office to explain his actions, as he did earlier in his career.

A big reason for Marshall's metamorphosis from malcontent to magnificent is Williams, who returned to Denver this fall after Marshall sent him home for the summer to gain an appreciation for the opportunities he had back in Colorado.

"Oh yeah, because I can't preach this message to Ray and at the same time be doing the opposite," Marshall told The Associated Press. "So, I had to just grow up because I want to see him be great. I want to see him be successful in whatever he does. I'm that person in his life now that guides him, and you can't be a hypocrite."

The rest of the article at:
http://www.9news.com/sports/article.aspx?storyid=129213&catid=345

Killericon
12-19-2009, 11:10 PM
"The transition for me didn't go as well as I wanted it to"

Man is it ever good to hear Brandon say that.

Broncosfreak_56
12-19-2009, 11:15 PM
Very cool, I hope he keeps it up. Pay the man!

Kaylore
12-19-2009, 11:42 PM
When he can get through March without getting arrested then I'll say he's "clean". Every year he goes to Atlanta in March and then by April we're reading about some of his dumb-assery.

Meck77
12-20-2009, 12:32 AM
Can you imagine reading an article about our punter taking care of his cousin.