PDA

View Full Version : The Snow Thread.

Circle Orange
12-18-2009, 07:34 PM
I know this is old hat to all you folk from the mountains and up near the arctic line, but...

IT'S A SNOWIN' HERE IN DC!!!! It started up out of nowhere at the crack of 9pm EST.

Good googly moo, they're sayin' 12"-24" inches. Expecting up to 7 overnight and the main storm won't even arrive until after that!

I think we got the bullseye, or near. *runs around like crazed, headless chicken*

I finished 'snowproofing' my car and steps just in time. Took one of those gigantic 3MIL plastic tarps and put it on the car, and another on the front step flight. Couldn't find a waterproof car cover.

It's the end, people. The END. http://scosoft.com/s/m/2f3f950d.gif

Archer81
12-18-2009, 07:42 PM
2 feet of snow in DC? Everything will be shut down and you might as well stay home and watch it fall.

:Broncos:

2KBack
12-18-2009, 07:44 PM
yeah, and my ass is at work at George Mason until midnight. Gonna be a fun ride home

Hogan11
12-18-2009, 07:46 PM
Take care guys....it looks ugly. So far, forecast models are indicating that I'll be spared....I'll believe that when I see it. If it tracks a bit further inland, I'm gonna get whacked as well.

Lev Vyvanse
12-18-2009, 07:54 PM
I know this is old hat to all you folk from the mountains and up near the arctic line, but...

IT'S A SNOWIN' HERE IN DC!!!! It started up out of nowhere at the crack of 9pm EST.

Good googly moo, they're sayin' 12"-24" inches. Expecting up to 7 overnight and the main storm won't even arrive until after that!

I think we got the bullseye, or near. *runs around like crazed, headless chicken*

I finished 'snowproofing' my car and steps just in time. Took one of those gigantic 3MIL plastic tarps and put it on the car, and another on the front step flight. Couldn't find a waterproof car cover.

Oh my god dude not the 3mil tarp. Everyone here in Colorado knows you have to use shrink wrap and a blow-dryer.

Meck77
12-18-2009, 07:58 PM
Tarp on a car? huh?

Lev Vyvanse
12-18-2009, 08:00 PM
Tarp on a car? huh?

I heard cars were water resistant but think it just a rumor. You have to shrink wrap them.

Archer81
12-18-2009, 08:00 PM
Tarp on a car? huh?

Yeah...I wondered about that too...Good luck trying to dig out a corner of it when its frozen to the surface of the car.

theAPAOps5
12-18-2009, 08:03 PM
LOL a waterproof tarp, you East Coast people crack me up! I can see putting something over the window so you don't have to scrape, but jesus, snow proofing your car! My GOD, thats good stuff!

Circle Orange
12-18-2009, 08:05 PM
yeah, and my ass is at work at George Mason until midnight. Gonna be a fun ride home

Go slow. Virginia had 65 accidents around 6pm during the earliest accumulations. It's pretty quiet in my neck of the woods now, everyone's hunkered down. Roads are treacherous, but you already know about the beltway. It's a savage land of the lawless...http://scosoft.com/s/Action/4b66535f.gif

Circle Orange
12-18-2009, 08:07 PM
LOL a waterproof tarp, you East Coast people crack me up! I can see putting something over the window so you don't have to scrape but jesus, snow proofing your car! My GOD, thats good stuff!

Heh, the trick is to brush the snow off every two inches or so, no more than four. 3 MIL film is so thick, it doesn't cling at all it just sits on top. You have to anchor it down. Heh! Works.

Archer81
12-18-2009, 08:07 PM
Winterizing my car involves putting snow tires on the bitch and an oil change and making sure a scraper is in the backseat.

You east coast guys be careful. No point making the obligatory bread-milk-bottled water-TP run. Just go home and take your time.

Circle Orange
12-18-2009, 08:08 PM
Oh my god dude not the 3mil tarp. Everyone here in Colorado knows you have to use shrink wrap and a blow-dryer.

LOL, dudette.

theAPAOps5
12-18-2009, 08:09 PM
Winterizing my car involves putting snow tires on the b**** and an oil change and making sure a scraper is in the backseat.

You east coast guys be careful. No point making the obligatory bread-milk-bottled water-TP run. Just go home and take your time.

For me its going out and starting it 5 minutes before leaving after it snows. And brushing it off every 2" LOL Just wait and do it once when the storm is over!

Lev Vyvanse
12-18-2009, 08:10 PM
LOL, dudette.

I'm not the one with a ****ing tarp on my car. Sounds like something my wife would do.

Circle Orange
12-18-2009, 08:13 PM
I'm not the one with a ****ing tarp on my car. Sounds like something my wife would do.

It works. I've done this before. 3 MIL doesn't stick, moisture doesn't penetrate and snow doesen't adhere to it. It's called a non permeable surface. You can actually shake it out over the car and the stuff breaks up and falls away (up to about 3 inches. Heavier snow you have to brush every two hours.)

Sheesh, plastic polyethylene dosen't absorb water!

Archer81
12-18-2009, 08:16 PM
It works. I've done this before. 3 MIL doesn't stick, moisture doesn't penetrate and snow doesen't adhere to it. It's called a non permeable surface. You can actually shake it out over the car and the stuff breaks up and falls away (up to about 3 inches. Heavier snow you have to brush every two hours.)

You are going to go out every 30 minutes to knock snow off of your car during a blizzard?

Meck77
12-18-2009, 08:17 PM
You don't have a defroster? I still don't understand the tarp concept. Do you tarp your car from rain also?

Lev Vyvanse
12-18-2009, 08:19 PM

Seems like a lot of work. I'll leave you alone.

P.S. please don't move to Denver we already have enough people that don't know how to drive in the snow.

iDENVER
12-18-2009, 08:21 PM
i live around DC also and it is starting to snow here also. I am going to the Redskins vs Giants game Monday night..boy its gonna be crazy, snow and Monday night. who should i root for lol?

Archer81
I'd just wait til Sunday when the storm is over then break out an old broom and clear the windows. A tarp. Thats like people who think having 4 wheel drive will stop them from going off the edge on top of Monarch pass.

Sassy
A tarp on a car?
Never heard of it...and I live in ND~!

Meck77
12-18-2009, 08:23 PM
I A tarp. Thats like people who think having 4 wheel drive will stop them from going off the edge on top of Monarch pass.

It's always the jackass with the biggest truck. Meanwhile the hondas with snow tires buzz right on by.

Circle Orange
12-18-2009, 08:28 PM
You are going to go out every 30 minutes to knock snow off of your car during a blizzard?

Nah, I go by the accumulations. Usually wait for 4 inches a pop, then dust. Storms tend to ebb and flow. so on average that's probably around every 3-5 hours.

GoHAM
12-18-2009, 08:30 PM
I'm sorry but putting a tarp on a car to keep the snow off is absolutely retarded.

Ever heard of a broom and a scraper? Works wonders.

Archer81
12-18-2009, 08:31 PM
Nah, I go by the accumulations. Usually wait for 4 inches a pop, then dust. Storms tend to ebb and flow. so on average that's probably around every 3-5 hours.

Would depend on the type of snow. If its dry and fluffy, piles up quickly and its just easy to knock it off. Wet heavy snow is best left for later.

Circle Orange
12-18-2009, 08:32 PM
A tarp on a car?
Never heard of it...and I live in ND~!

It also works on concrete steps/patios. You have to anchor it down with a lot of weights, because the thickness of it doesn't cling at all. One other thing, too. Older cars with a duller paint surface 'grip' ice and snow more than new cars with slick, glossy clearcoat. It's one of the reasons I started doing this. The old fashioned way was a pain in the neck. My T'Bird has a long nose, long angled glass and everything gets in the grills under the wipers. So it's a handy method of preventing that.

I use the defroster, but it slows down because ice tends to collect in the front vents where the air blows. Then I end up picking and scraping it out (no fun).

Circle Orange
12-18-2009, 08:36 PM
Would depend on the type of snow. If its dry and fluffy, piles up quickly and its just easy to knock it off. Wet heavy snow is best left for later.

True. I saw a science program where they weighed fluffy snow by the cubic foot. For each day you wait, the snow gets heavier exponentially due to freezing and rethawing. I think it was something like:

fresh powder 1-1lbs cubic foot
lightly packed snow 5-9lbs
moderately packed snow up to 15 lbs
dense snow up to 22 lbs

I had neighbors who would wait for the whole pile of snow to get on top before doing anything, then wait for days. Crazy! It always took 'em forever to get that stuff off.

Lev Vyvanse
12-18-2009, 08:39 PM
I had neighbors who would wait for the whole pile of snow to get on top before doing anything, then wait for days. Crazy! It always took 'em forever to get that stuff off.

So, everyone tarps up their cars in D.C.?

oubronco
12-18-2009, 08:39 PM
All's well here in Oklahoma :thumbsup:

Archer81
12-18-2009, 08:41 PM
So, everyone tarps up their cars in D.C.?

DC mantra? Do the ridiculous solution first.

The tarp is cracking me up. By February I am just used to having some snow somewhere on my car and driving on perpetually iced side streets. You even learn how to use the car sliding to park or turn.

Lev Vyvanse
12-18-2009, 08:43 PM
All's well here in Oklahoma :thumbsup:

Apart from the fact that you’re in Oklahoma, right?

Meck77
12-18-2009, 08:46 PM
Man. All these years we've been wasting money on roofs out in Colorado. Damn.

http://img30.imageshack.us/img30/7462/rooftarp.jpg (http://img30.imageshack.us/i/rooftarp.jpg/)

theAPAOps5
12-18-2009, 08:48 PM
Man. All these years we've been wasting money on roofs out in Colorado. Damn.

http://img30.imageshack.us/img30/7462/rooftarp.jpg (http://img30.imageshack.us/i/rooftarp.jpg/)

I always wondered what those tarps were on roofs, its a snow barrier!

2KBack
12-18-2009, 08:49 PM
Go slow. Virginia had 65 accidents around 6pm during the earliest accumulations. It's pretty quiet in my neck of the woods now, everyone's hunkered down. Roads are treacherous, but you already know about the beltway. It's a savage land of the lawless...http://scosoft.com/s/Action/4b66535f.gif

thanks for the heads up, I got to work just before it started to fall, and it seemed like people were already losing their minds.

Like the people around the beltway needed an excuse to drive any ****tier

Lev Vyvanse
12-18-2009, 08:49 PM
DC mantra? Do the ridiculous solution first.

The tarp is cracking me up. By February I am just used to having some snow somewhere on my car and driving on perpetually iced side streets. You even learn how to use the car sliding to park or turn.

Yep. It's really nice right now though. If anyone not from Colorado is reading this "really nice" is 20 below zero with 100 foot visibility.

ant1999e
12-18-2009, 08:50 PM
Why doesn't the CDOT cover the roads with a tarp? Save money on salt and plows.

Meck77
12-18-2009, 08:52 PM
Functional yet fashionable at the same time!

http://img34.imageshack.us/img34/8927/ultrasiltarpponcho.jpg (http://img34.imageshack.us/i/ultrasiltarpponcho.jpg/)

Ok I get this tarp concept now. Obama's plan is to prevent snow from accumulating on our cars!

http://img199.imageshack.us/img199/5287/tarp.png (http://img199.imageshack.us/i/tarp.png/)

Crushaholic
12-18-2009, 08:53 PM
The Ravens-Bears game has been moved to the late afternoon slate because of the impending snowstorm in Baltimore, FWIW...

Lev Vyvanse
12-18-2009, 08:57 PM
Why doesn't the CDOT cover the roads with a tarp? Save money on salt and plows.

I covered my sidewalk with a tarp during a snowstorm once. It involved an obscene amount of whiskey and a bet.

Lev Vyvanse
12-18-2009, 09:03 PM
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41RrrQuYEmL._SS500_.jpg
$1.30 on Amazon not too shabby.

Archer81
12-18-2009, 09:05 PM
I've lived out in NOVA and NC, any accumulating winter weather and people go retarded. Then again...when I was in NC, a day after we had a hurricane hit, a jackass was washing his car and boat right after the MP's rolled by informing us of water restrictions...so you cant be shocked by people in extreme situations.

JJJ
12-18-2009, 09:31 PM
So now we now what to use the excess TARP funds on. Actual tarps.

2KBack
12-18-2009, 10:11 PM
Holy **** Circle, you weren't exaggerating. That was an adventure

Mile High Mojoe
12-18-2009, 10:59 PM
Speaking of weather, Denver is suppose to be in the high 40's for the Raiders Game right? I'm packing the winter garb just in case. Can't decide whether to put the packs in the suitcase or not. Thoughts? Should I risk it?

watermock
12-18-2009, 11:46 PM
Keep those UV rays off the eyes.

Must be embassing to walk around in snow not seen for 7 years.

I'm sure they have infrared heaters for them to keep from slipping.

broncocalijohn
12-19-2009, 12:14 AM
I'm sorry but putting a tarp on a car to keep the snow off is absolutely retarded.

Ever heard of a broom and a scraper? Works wonders.

Ever heard of California? I wore shorts today and it was around 68 degrees at 7PM tonight.

Bronco LB52
12-19-2009, 01:41 AM
It's always winter at my pad.

http://ry420guy.files.wordpress.com/2009/10/cocaine1.jpg

watermock
12-19-2009, 02:39 AM
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41RrrQuYEmL._SS500_.jpg

Wrong, you have one with a brush too.

Beantown Bronco
12-19-2009, 05:49 AM
LOL a waterproof tarp, you East Coast people crack me up! I can see putting something over the window so you don't have to scrape, but jesus, snow proofing your car! My GOD, thats good stuff!

Maine, NH and MA are technically "east coast", so you might want to re-think the blanket comment. I've never seen one attempt this either and really don't get the point.

NYBronco
12-19-2009, 06:15 AM
http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb150/NYBronco/Mobile%20Uploads/downsize-19.jpg

Our back yard near Annapolis, Md. this morning.

Rohirrim
12-19-2009, 06:41 AM
At my house, we use a new technological innovation to protect our cars during snowstorms. I call it "garage." ;D

TailgateNut
12-19-2009, 06:48 AM
It also works on concrete steps/patios. You have to anchor it down with a lot of weights, because the thickness of it doesn't cling at all. One other thing, too. Older cars with a duller paint surface 'grip' ice and snow more than new cars with slick, glossy clearcoat. It's one of the reasons I started doing this. The old fashioned way was a pain in the neck. My T'Bird has a long nose, long angled glass and everything gets in the grills under the wipers. So it's a handy method of preventing that.

I use the defroster, but it slows down because ice tends to collect in the front vents where the air blows. Then I end up picking and scraping it out (no fun).

Putting plastic on steps is a heck of a concept. Nice and slippery.ROFL!

TailgateNut
12-19-2009, 06:49 AM
The Ravens-Bears game has been moved to the late afternoon slate because of the impending snowstorm in Baltimore, FWIW...Hilarious!LOL

GeniusatWork
12-19-2009, 07:04 AM

What if that tarp freezes to the car?

GeniusatWork
12-19-2009, 07:12 AM

Spraying the car with WD40 could work too. Maybe rub it down with Vicks Vaporub so it breathes better. ;D

TailgateNut
12-19-2009, 07:28 AM
Spraying the car with WD40 could work too. Maybe rub it down with Vicks Vaporub so it breathes better. ;D

I'd suggest the vicks.;D

or maybe go with lard, it's cheaper.

elsid13
12-19-2009, 07:45 AM
It is freaking disaster watching idiots attempt to drive in this stuff in DC area. Just because you have 4X4 doesn't mean you don't slow down and give more of distance between you and the next guy. Freaking retards.

JJJ
12-19-2009, 07:49 AM
Welcome back Mr. President. Looks like that summit took care of that pesky warming issue pretty well.

http://www.weather.com/multimedia/videoplayer.html?clip=16054&from=hp_main_tab3

phillybroncosnut
12-19-2009, 07:53 AM
Winterizing my car involves putting snow tires on the b**** and an oil change and making sure a scraper is in the backseat.

Not me.... I love this stuff... Calling for 22 inches here. Its a procrastinators dream for me. I get to get all my xmas shopping done while all the freaks panic about the snow and batten down their hatches. I never understood the panic. I never understood the whole "Bread, Milk, and eggs" routine either. What, does everyone make french toast?

Kaylore
12-19-2009, 08:15 AM

:~ohyah!:Seriously. Reading about people who aren't used to dealing with snow tell their "secrets" is hilarious to me.

Paladin
12-19-2009, 08:21 AM
Just run your snow thrower over it. Try and hit the neighbor's car.......

Hogan11
12-19-2009, 08:26 AM
:~ohyah!:Seriously. Reading about people who aren't used to dealing with snow tell their "secrets" is hilarious to me.

Take it easy on them, afterall, they're trying...

Once the lake effect machine kicks in, I'll show you guys some real snowfall. This storm would be a minor annoyance for us.

loborugger
12-19-2009, 08:31 AM
Take it easy on them, afterall, they're trying...

Once the lake effect machine kicks in, I'll show you guys some real snowfall. This storm would be a minor annoyance for us.

No doubt... However, the lakes didnt get all that warm this summer, so I wonder how much lake effect we will actually get this year.

GeniusatWork
12-19-2009, 08:38 AM
Heh, the trick is to brush the snow off every two inches or so, no more than four. 3 MIL film is so thick, it doesn't cling at all it just sits on top. You have to anchor it down. Heh! Works.

You must be a neat freak. Like obsession kind of thing otherwise you would skip the tarp and just brush the car off every two inches or so.

theAPAOps5
12-19-2009, 08:43 AM
So by judging by the pictures and the amounts of snow reported I am going to say that Circle Orange was up pretty much all night brushing off the car in 2" increments. Sleep well I am sure you are exhausted! :)

Hogan11
12-19-2009, 08:43 AM
No doubt... However, the lakes didnt get all that warm this summer, so I wonder how much lake effect we will actually get this year.

Just north of you up to Watertown will get hammered sooner or later. They never escape having to shovel their roofs off at least three times a year.

gunns
12-19-2009, 10:53 AM

Doesn't the northeast deal with snow every year? I've never understood the "big storms" hitting the northeast being a huge story and everything shuts down. While here in the west, we get those storms all the time, you get a small blurb on the news and everything stays open except maybe flights. Now North Carolina I understand because they don't deal with it all the time.

SureShot
12-19-2009, 10:57 AM
Well im headed out to dig out my truck. I sure wish I knew about this tarp thing last week!

Tom G
12-19-2009, 11:24 AM
The good news is that the government may be shut down for seveal days.

NYBronco
12-19-2009, 11:36 AM
The snow storm hoopla around the Baltimore area is related to a December average of 1.7".

I just measured 14" inches in my back yard and it continues to snow.

December top snow measure month was 20.4" in 1966

December top storm 14.1" (11-12 in 1960)

2KBack
12-19-2009, 11:38 AM
Doesn't the northeast deal with snow every year? I've never understood the "big storms" hitting the northeast being a huge story and everything shuts down. While here in the west, we get those storms all the time, you get a small blurb on the news and everything stays open except maybe flights. Now North Carolina I understand because they don't deal with it all the time.

The DC area doesn't get this type of storm except maybe every 10 years or so. So unpreparedness combines with one of the worst traffic areas in the country to make a huge ****storm

Broncofan_H
12-19-2009, 11:47 AM
How much did the tarp cost to be able to cover the car, steps and sidewalk?

Somehow, I think my $10 shovel and $2 ice scrapper are cheaper. Not to mention, I can just wait until the storm is done instead of going out every 4 inches of a 12 inch snowstorm.

But, that's what I get for living in Colorado and Wyoming. I'm not smart enough to come up with the tarp idea.

NYBronco
12-19-2009, 11:50 AM
http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb150/NYBronco/Mobile%20Uploads/downsize-23.jpg

bap454
12-19-2009, 12:04 PM
How much did the tarp cost to be able to cover the car, steps and sidewalk?

Somehow, I think my $10 shovel and $2 ice scrapper are cheaper. Not to mention, I can just wait until the storm is done instead of going out every 4 inches of a 12 inch snowstorm.

But, that's what I get for living in Colorado and Wyoming. I'm not smart enough to come up with the tarp idea.

I also live here in Wyoming. We have more innovative ideas here like the sheep insolation method. We just pull the cars into the barn and heard all the sheep inside the barn as well. All the wool and heat keeps the cars thawed out.

broncosteven
12-19-2009, 12:45 PM

Remind me to check Circle Oranges Toilet for plastic wrap before pissing in it.

Gort
12-19-2009, 03:26 PM
The DC area doesn't get this type of storm except maybe every 10 years or so. So unpreparedness combines with some of the worst drivers in the country to make a huge ****storm

i corrected that for you. being originally from MD, i feel qualified to say that there are 2 things MD/VA/DC drivers do that will make driving in bad weather 100x worse... tailgating and rubbernecking. i've never understood the idiots who want to sit 6 feet behind your bumper when you're cruising down the highway at 55mph. and when there is an accident, traffic slows to a crawl to that everyone can get a good look as they go by.

chadta
12-19-2009, 04:43 PM
Not me.... I love this stuff... Calling for 22 inches here. Its a procrastinators dream for me. I get to get all my xmas shopping done while all the freaks panic about the snow and batten down their hatches. I never understood the panic. I never understood the whole "Bread, Milk, and eggs" routine either. What, does everyone make french toast?

i heard on the radio up here that you guys declared a state of emergency before a flake even hit the ground.

just dont pull a toronto, please dont call in the army

Circle Orange
12-20-2009, 07:07 PM

Everything doesn't shut down. Media hype keeps that stereotype going. ALso, areas that routinely get huge snow have the equipment to haul that stuff out, and often those regions have wide streets which accomodate huge plows (not to mention flat land) which makes cleaning that crap up easier.

I love the snow, I just ain't digging all the digging. And no, the tarp didn't stick to the car. I pulled it right off, clean as a whistle. In fact, the wind blew most of the snow off the plastic anyway. My unfortunate neighbors spend time cleaning their cars, however. Unfortunately, I'm at the lower level elevation of my development so I got all the 'drifts' of 3 feet. I couldn't even open my front door the other day. Crazy. Brushed the snow right off the plastic on the steps, ripped it up...nice, iceless steps. No scraping/brushing at all. Works like a charm, as I said. Painter's plastic.