PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs blacked out in Kansas City - first time in 19 years

Blart
12-17-2009, 04:26 PM
For the first time in 19 years, a Chiefs game will not be televised in Kansas City.

The Chiefs announced today that Sunday's home game against the Browns will not be shown in the Kansas City area because it did not sell out within 72 hours of kickoff. Last week the Chiefs received a 24-hour extension and were able to sell out their game and avoid a blackout, but this week they're apparently not close enough to a sellout for the league to grant a 24-hour extension.

Last week's game was the Chiefs' 156th consecutive sellout. The last time the Chiefs failed to sell out Arrowhead Stadium was in December of 1990.

Fans in Kansas City can watch the game on NFL.com beginning at midnight Sunday.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/12/17/chiefs-blacked-out-in-kansas-city/

RhymesayersDU
12-17-2009, 04:28 PM
You know, it's going to be easy to pile on Chiefs fans... But screw that, if the Broncos were having this kind of season and they were playing another team that is terrible, I wouldn't go either. Call me a bad fan, whatever, but I'd rather be home at this point too.

Rocket 7
12-17-2009, 04:28 PM
Knew they should of went down to three dollars a ticket.

OBF1
12-17-2009, 04:29 PM
Quit whining, Denver does not suck, chiefs do. I laugh in the general direction of any chief fan.

OBF1
12-17-2009, 04:30 PM

LOL LOL :thumbsup: LOL LOL

Hogan11
12-17-2009, 04:37 PM
I'm surprised by it myself...I mean, thay actually have a chance of winning that game for a change.

The Joker
12-17-2009, 04:42 PM
Let's make it interesting.

So the weather forecast on Sunday in Kansas calls for it to be about 35 degrees. Let's say it takes you maybe an hour of travelling to get to the game, and then another hour to get back home afterward.

How much would you actually need to be paid to go and see the Chiefs and Browns in that situation?

Bronco Yoda
12-17-2009, 05:02 PM
You know, it's going to be easy to pile on Chiefs fans... But screw that, if the Broncos were having this kind of season and they were playing another team that is terrible, I wouldn't go either. Call me a bad fan, whatever, but I'd rather be home at this point too.

BOOOOOOOO!

You never let up or not pile on a mullet.

Bronco Yoda
12-17-2009, 05:04 PM
I posted last week that they should start paying the fans to fill the seats. See, now look what happend. Those $5 dollar tickets were just too much.

Kaylore
12-17-2009, 05:13 PM

:~ohyah!:

Their streak ended. They're not going to live that one down for awhile.

Bronco LB52
12-17-2009, 05:14 PM
Denver is a better football town than Kansas City and always will be, period.

Crushaholic
12-17-2009, 05:16 PM
Great...the local sportsbar will be filled more than ever with Chiefs fans...AND they actually have a chance to win...ugh...:thumbsdow

Bronco LB52
12-17-2009, 05:17 PM
Great...the local sportsbar will be filled more than ever with Chiefs fans...AND they actually have a chance to win...ugh...:thumbsdow

How is the sports bar going to get around the blackout in Topeka?

They have an old analog dish?

Crushaholic
12-17-2009, 05:22 PM
How is the sports bar going to get around the blackout in Topeka?

They have an old analog dish?

The sports bar I go to watch the games has Direct TV. I'm guessing that they will show the game...I guess. I don't know what the rules are concerning blackouts, since the Chiefs haven't been blacked out since 1990...

Circle Orange
12-17-2009, 05:25 PM
It's only appropriate. Chief fans blacked out weeks ago...Hilarious!

strafen
12-17-2009, 05:26 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/12/17/chiefs-blacked-out-in-kansas-city/Wow, that's almost as hard to believe if it had happened to the Broncos.

I've seen the Broncos gone thru some bad season, but never a threat for a blackout that I can recall...

Bronco LB52
12-17-2009, 05:30 PM
The sports bar I go to watch the games has Direct TV. I'm guessing that they will show the game...I guess. I don't know what the rules are concerning blackouts, since the Chiefs haven't been blacked out since 1990...

It will be blacked out on Direct TV then.

Rocket 7
12-17-2009, 05:30 PM
Hate to be a scalper at the game. I'll trade you a ticket for some chips. Chips are worth more.

Atwater His Ass
12-17-2009, 05:42 PM

You seriously think if the past decade was swapped between Denver and KC that this wouldn't be an issue for Denver?

No city is immune to this kind of thing, no matter how high up on your horse you want to sit.

baja
12-17-2009, 05:51 PM
The good news is they are showing "Miracle On 42ND Street? in place of the game...

Bronco LB52
12-17-2009, 05:53 PM
You seriously think if the past decade was swapped between Denver and KC that this wouldn't be an issue for Denver?

No city is immune to this kind of thing, no matter how high up on your horse you want to sit.

The Broncos' current sellout streak started in 1969, four years before they even had a winning season!

I think you are underestimating how diehard of a football town Denver is. A few years back, Denver ranked ahead of Green Bay as the best football town in America.

Even if the Broncos fall on hard times, there are 30,000+ fans on the waiting list who are anxious to get in.

I view Denver in the same boat with Green Bay, San Francisco and Pittsburgh where the football team is like a religion. The Packers never had trouble selling out games in the 1970s-80s when they were down. Same goes with the 49ers this decade in San Francisco.

SJ Bronco
12-17-2009, 05:56 PM
It's still a little sad....

PRBronco
12-17-2009, 05:56 PM
Haaaaahahahalolhahalol

broncosteven
12-17-2009, 06:12 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/12/17/chiefs-blacked-out-in-kansas-city/

Looks like KFC doesn't believe in their new HC and GM. I am surprised they are not more happy that HOT CARL is gone and are willing to watch a rebuilding team knowing that HOT CARL cannot **** it up any worse next year.

It is a sad day that people who thought they were a great fan base cannot fill their stadium.

Atwater His Ass
12-17-2009, 06:21 PM
The Broncos' current sellout streak started in 1969, four years before they even had a winning season!

I think you are underestimating how diehard of a football town Denver is. A few years back, Denver ranked ahead of Green Bay as the best football town in America.

Even if the Broncos fall on hard times, there are 30,000+ fans on the waiting list who are anxious to get in.

I view Denver in the same boat with Green Bay, San Francisco and Pittsburgh where the football team is like a religion. The Packers never had trouble selling out games in the 1970s-80s when they were down. Same goes with the 49ers this decade in San Francisco.

Thanks man, I was like totally oblivous to Denver's history prior to your lecture.

You know long it took for me to get 3 season tickets to the Broncos? Less than 1 season. Applied during Wade's last season, and had 3 tickets all next to each other in the South Stands that next season. HMMMMMMM I wonder why that was? Could it be perhaps that many people were down on the Broncos after a demoralizing stretch over the past few years and didn't want to spend on season tickets???? Where were those 30,000 on the list at, huh? C'mon, no city or fan base is above these issues, no matter how you want to try to spin it.

KC's had 1 good year this decade. '03 when they won 13 games. They're a horrible team playing a horrible team, in freezing weather, during a bad economic time for many people, not to mention it's almost Christmas which also straps people for cash.

If you think with all of those factors that Denver is immune to something like this, you are living in a fantasy land.

Excuse me if I'm not ready to pile on a fan base that historically has supported their team very well.

broncosteven
12-17-2009, 06:27 PM
Thanks man, I was like totally oblivous to Denver's history prior to your lecture.

You know long it took for me to get 3 season tickets to the Broncos? Less than 1 season. Applied during Wade's last season, and had 3 tickets all next to each other in the South Stands that next season. HMMMMMMM I wonder why that was? Could it be perhaps that many people were down on the Broncos after a demoralizing stretch over the past few years and didn't want to spend on season tickets???? Where were those 30,000 on the list at, huh? C'mon, no city or fan base is above these issues, no matter how you want to try to spin it.

KC's had 1 good year this decade. '03 when they won 13 games. They're a horrible team playing a horrible team, in freezing weather, during a bad economic time for many people, not to mention it's almost Christmas which also straps people for cash.

If you think with all of those factors that Denver is immune to something like this, you are living in a fantasy land.

Excuse me if I'm not ready to pile on a fan base that historically has supported their team very well.

I have been waiting about 4-5 years. Nothing other than the email "you can buy Club level seats for $14,746,938,000,230.86". I couldn't come up with the last $.86 so I had to turn that "deal" down.

Rohirrim
12-17-2009, 06:29 PM
Damn! There's really only one reaction I can have to that...

Hilarious!

crazyhorse
12-17-2009, 06:32 PM
Looks like KFC doesn't believe in their new HC and GM. I am surprised they are not more happy that HOT CARL is gone and are willing to watch a rebuilding team knowing that HOT CARL cannot **** it up any worse next year.

It is a sad day that people who thought they were a great fan base cannot fill their stadium.

We are a great fan base. One that is saying it's not acceptable being the team with the most left over money under the cap the last 2 years running. We want a better team. We want them to make an effort. When they do....we will.

If you would buy tickets under these circumstances, it doesn't make you a great fan, but a gullible one. A dumb one.

Anyone that has been inside Arrowhead knows that the fans are more passionate, more vocal, and at least as loyal as any fan in this league. that doesn't make us push overs. KC is one of the closest stadiums to a college atmosphere in the league.

Dont kid yourself. Whether Denver was sold out or not, I have seen sevaral games over the last few years where that stadium was half full at kickoff, and Denver is a larger market.

Say wahat you want about the KC organization, but if you dont think KC fans are for real, you are speaking from inexperience. They are doing what they should be doing. Demanding the loyalty from the organization that the organization has enjoyed from thier fans.

Bronco LB52
12-17-2009, 06:34 PM

It varies though. There are fans here that mention they have still been waiting for eight-plus years even though the Broncos have gone 9-7, 7-9 and 8-8 in the last three seasons.

It took me five years and I signed up for the waiting list following the Broncos' ugly 8-8 season in 2001. I got my tickets in preseason 2006, which followed the AFC Championship Game season. When I signed up in 2001, the Broncos ticket rep told me "we will be calling you in about 10 years".

I have heard stories from other fans in which they waited a decade for tickets.

Historically supported their team very well? Go look at the Chiefs' attendance figures from the 1970s and 1980s. Kansas City was a Royals town before the 1990s. The Chiefs didn't sellout games regularly until Marty Schottenheimer turned them around and made them competitive and they have been living off that momentum ever since.

All I am saying is Denver is on par with Green Bay/Pittsburgh/Washington/Chicago/San Francisco, football towns that will fill the stadium and sell the season out before the season begins regardless of the product on the field.

Kansas City has always been a second tier football town not in the same class as the teams mentioned above.

crazyhorse
12-17-2009, 06:34 PM
I have been waiting about 4-5 years. Nothing other than the email "you can buy Club level seats for $14,746,938,000,230.86". I couldn't come up with the last $.86 so I had to turn that "deal" down.

Go to ebay. There are tons of tickets on there. Under face value. Enjoy the game.

Atwater His Ass
12-17-2009, 06:39 PM
I think your bias is that KC is not first and formeost a football town. I will defer to what crazyhorse wrote above. KC has pretty damn good fans.

Sure, I think Denver is a better football town than KC too, but to say that KC fans aren't good fans and don't support their team is asinine. Any town that has a 19 year sell out streak is doing pretty well. It's not good for the NFL as a whole when people don't go to games.

I also particuarly agree with the point that ALL cities, although the game made be "sold-out" (which doesn't mean all the tickets were sold btw), the stadium is only 1/2 full. Happens EVERYWHERE.

Bronco LB52
12-17-2009, 06:43 PM
I think your bias is that KC is not first and formeost a football town. I will defer to what crazyhorse wrote above. KC has pretty damn good fans.

Sure, I think Denver is a better football town than KC too, but to say that KC fans aren't good fans and don't support their team is asinine. Any town that has a 19 year sell out streak is doing pretty well. It's not good for the NFL as a whole when people don't go to games.

From the beginning, all I said Denver was a better football town than Kansas City.

I mentioned they were a second tier football town, that's not bad or a knock on Kansas City. They just aren't as diehard as Denver.

broncosteven
12-17-2009, 06:45 PM
We are a great fan base. One that is saying it's not acceptable being the team with the most left over money under the cap the last 2 years running. We want a better team. We want them to make an effort. When they do....we will.

If you would buy tickets under these circumstances, it doesn't make you a great fan, but a gullible one. A dumb one.

Anyone that has been inside Arrowhead knows that the fans are more passionate, more vocal, and at least as loyal as any fan in this league. that doesn't make us push overs. KC is one of the closest stadiums to a college atmosphere in the league.

Dont kid yourself. Whether Denver was sold out or not, I have seen sevaral games over the last few years where that stadium was half full at kickoff, and Denver is a larger market.

Say wahat you want about the KC organization, but if you dont think KC fans are for real, you are speaking from inexperience. They are doing what they should be doing. Demanding the loyalty from the organization that the organization has enjoyed from thier fans.

I just heard AM1000 refer to Analhead as the closest NFL team to the college crowd so I take your word on it. That is cool if you want a college vibe, but then if that is what you want go to a college game.

I also have seen some games where the crowd rolled in late at Invesco, It is rare to hear anything less than 75k as attendance though, at least at the games I have gone to. Being 1006 miles away from Invesco I try, when healty, to go to at least one game each year, some years more. When I do go I am in the stadium to watch warmups so that aint me rolling in late.

If you really wanted to demand quality the last couple years before HOTCARL was fianally kicked out were the time to do it, or all but 4 or 5 years since the last KFC SB. Not during a rebuilding year with a new HC and new QB, who has since been benched twice.

If KFC fans are not going to support the team when it is trying to turn the program around then they should not claim to be great fans.

Anyway the next Sell out will start their new streak, we will see how long that one lasts. From all the excitement coming out of KFC I am guessing that it won't be a long one.

Happy Holidays Crazy.

Los Broncos
12-17-2009, 08:25 PM
I bet free tickets wouldn't have avoided a blackout.

Rocket 7
12-17-2009, 08:33 PM
I bet free tickets wouldn't have avoided a blackout.

A free Wilie Nelson concert should of helped also.

Los Broncos
12-17-2009, 08:35 PM
A free Wilie Nelson concert should of helped also.

Free hair cut and makeover coupons to everyone in attendance.

Atwater His Ass
12-17-2009, 08:43 PM
From the beginning, all I said Denver was a better football town than Kansas City.

I mentioned they were a second tier football town, that's not bad or a knock on Kansas City. They just aren't as diehard as Denver.

30-40 years ago, sure.

But over the last 2 decades, KC fans have easily rivaled Denver fans with their passion and support.

Bronco LB52
12-17-2009, 08:50 PM
30-40 years ago, sure.

But over the last 2 decades, KC fans have easily rivaled Denver fans with their passion and support.

December 1990 isn't 30-40 years ago. In fact, the Chiefs were a wild card team that season, which is embarrassing that the fans didn't come out to support them late in the year.

broncocalijohn
12-17-2009, 09:20 PM

Glad they didnt or I would have to start another fun thread to laugh at the Chiefs fans!
http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?p=2676388#post2676388

RonDaChamp24
12-17-2009, 09:45 PM
It will be blacked out on Direct TV then.

No it will not. Since it's blacked out it will be shown on the Directv channel (somewhere in the 700s) instead of on the local channel, meaning that if you have Directv or the bar you go to has Directv they'd in an area showing th KC-Cle game you'd be able to see it. Not that I care, I see all of the broncos games and those are the ones I really care about.

Bronco LB52
12-17-2009, 09:54 PM
No it will not. Since it's blacked out it will be shown on the Directv channel (somewhere in the 700s) instead of on the local channel, meaning that if you have Directv or the bar you go to has Directv they'd in an area showing th KC-Cle game you'd be able to see it. Not that I care, I see all of the broncos games and those are the ones I really care about.

In the local market, the hometown team's games are always blacked out on Direct TV's NFL Sunday Ticket regardless if it's a home or away game.

The NFL blacks out the hometown team's game on Sunday Ticket because they want the area viewers to watch the local station's advertising. It's put in place to protect them.

extralife
12-17-2009, 10:11 PM
The blackout rules really need to change. It's a little insulting that the league attempts to force you into the stadium. It's a downward spiral for teams that need the support (how are you supposed to get more fans if people can't see your games?) and it's an insult to blips on the radar like this one.

Bob's your Information Minister
12-17-2009, 10:17 PM

You ****in' dumbass. Your fans cleared out of the stadium for a DIVISION LEADING TEAM because of a little weather.

Talk when your team is going through the second-worst down period in it's history, and not until then. We'll see how many blackouts there are in Denver when the Broncos win six games in two years.

Lev Vyvanse
12-17-2009, 10:22 PM
We'll see how many blackouts there are in Denver when the Broncos win six games in two years.

Like that's ever going to happen.

Mr.Meanie
12-17-2009, 10:22 PM
Talk when your team is going through the second-worst down period in it's history, and not until then. We'll see how many blackouts there are in Denver when the Broncos win six games in two years.

That's not a problem Denver has...

The Broncos biggest problem is how to resign low draft picks that turned into superstars

Bronco LB52
12-17-2009, 10:47 PM
You ****in' dumbass. Your fans cleared out of the stadium for a DIVISION LEADING TEAM because of a little weather.

You have nothing on us! 41 years and counting of consecutive sellouts. Until proven otherwise, we have shown over the long haul that we are amongst the best fans in the NFL.

FACT: Before the Chiefs' 1991 AFC Wild Card home game against the hated rival Los Angeles Raiders, the game was barely sold out in time to prevent a blackout on the local ABC station.

Pat Bowlen
12-17-2009, 11:16 PM
Talk when your team is going through the second-worst down period in it's history, and not until then.
This is like hearing a pathetic wimp complain about how everyone else cannot relate because they haven't been through the second-worst heartbreak of his life after spending many years fawning over women he never stood a chance with anyway.

SJ Bronco
12-17-2009, 11:46 PM
The Raiders want to know what the big deal is. They've had most of their home games blacked out for decades.

Bob's your Information Minister
12-17-2009, 11:53 PM
That's not a problem Denver has...

It will be. It happens to every franchise.

24champ
12-18-2009, 12:19 AM
You have nothing on us! 41 years and counting of consecutive sellouts. Until proven otherwise, we have shown over the long haul that we are amongst the best fans in the NFL.

FACT: Before the Chiefs' 1991 AFC Wild Card home game against the hated rival Los Angeles Raiders, the game was barely sold out in time to prevent a blackout on the local ABC station.

ROFL!

Poor Poor Chefs....

Atwater His Ass
12-18-2009, 12:24 AM
See, it's the rep comments like these that makes me love this board. :thanku:

12-17-2009 05:50 PM Bronco LB52 You better hope I don't see you at a Broncos game because I will kick your ass, Queef lover.

12-17-2009 03:37 PM Bronco LB52 Take Queefs fan's prick out of your mouth you traitor!!! I bet you like when KC fan drills you in the ass you butt pirate!!!

Bronco Yoda
12-18-2009, 12:24 AM

L.A. Chiefs
sounds good doesn't it....ROFL!

Rocket 7
12-18-2009, 12:25 AM
The Raiders want to know what the big deal is. They've had most of their home games blacked out for decades.

Internet fans call them Stream of the decade. Only way they watch

24champ
12-18-2009, 12:46 AM
L.A. Chiefs

No it doesn't actually, I'd like to keep the Chiefs in that shiathole called KC.

broncocalijohn
12-18-2009, 12:49 AM
See, it's the rep comments like these that makes me love this board. :thanku:

12-17-2009 05:50 PM Bronco LB52 You better hope I don't see you at a Broncos game because I will kick your ass, Queef lover.

12-17-2009 03:37 PM Bronco LB52 Take Queefs fan's prick out of your mouth you traitor!!! I bet you like when KC fan drills you in the ass you butt pirate!!!

you are annoying. u do sound like a chief apologist big time in this thread.

Atwater His Ass
12-18-2009, 12:58 AM
cool story bro

KCStud
12-18-2009, 01:14 AM
KC is just as good of a football town, if not more so than Denver. Denver has a much bigger market.

I find it funny that Broncos fans are even making remarks about this when their at the time division leading team played at home and half the stadium was yellow and black with terrible towels.

If Denver was going through hard times like the Chiefs, than a blackout would have happened as well.

24champ
12-18-2009, 01:20 AM
KC is just as good of a football town, if not more so than Denver.

Was KC a good football town in the late 70s and then the 80s? LOL

Atwater His Ass
12-18-2009, 01:32 AM
Was KC a good football town in the late 70s and then the 80s? LOL

Totally relevant when the streak in question started 19 years ago huh?

You guys can't really be this dense can you? Please tell me it's your immaturity in being able to acknowledge anything positive about a team you don't like.

Bronco Rob
12-18-2009, 03:54 AM

;)

Bronco Rob
12-18-2009, 03:57 AM
"The simple fact is that this blackout is not only symbolic and representative of the season, but this season is the apex of Chiefs’ futility. Kansas City has lost 33 of the last 38 games – on par with the worst 38 game stretch in NFL history."

LOL

Blart
12-18-2009, 06:34 AM
If the local game is blacked out, you can't say you're in a good football town.

Rohirrim
12-18-2009, 06:53 AM
Totally relevant when the streak in question started 19 years ago huh?

You guys can't really be this dense can you? Please tell me it's your immaturity in being able to acknowledge anything positive about a team you don't like.

You need to reduce your handle to just "Ass." It fits much better. :thumbsup:

Gort
12-18-2009, 06:54 AM
L.A. Chiefs

it will probably be JAX that moves to LA. if so, i expect a movement to have the Jaguars switch to the NFC West and the STL Rams switched to the AFC South for travel/realignment reasons.

BroncoBen
12-18-2009, 07:02 AM
Chiefs blacked out in Kansas City - first time in 19 years

All I can say is... 'Boo Hoo'

Go cry on your big pillow...

Paladin
12-18-2009, 07:21 AM
You need to reduce your handle to just "Ass." It fits much better. :thumbsup:

This

LonghornBronco
12-18-2009, 07:27 AM
Free hair cut and makeover coupons to everyone in attendance.

How about free dental work for the first 5000 fans through the gate...

http://www.scarepros.com/i/accessories/HillbillyTeeth.jpg

Los Broncos
12-18-2009, 07:30 AM
How about free dental work for the first 5000 fans through the gate...

http://www.scarepros.com/i/accessories/HillbillyTeeth.jpg

5,000 wont show up, the rest get a bonus.

Peoples Champ
12-18-2009, 07:32 AM
KC is just as good of a football town, if not more so than Denver. Denver has a much bigger market.

I find it funny that Broncos fans are even making remarks about this when their at the time division leading team played at home and half the stadium was yellow and black with terrible towels.

If Denver was going through hard times like the Chiefs, than a blackout would have happened as well.

Im not sure about the markets for the teams, KC's surrounding states with no NFL team are much more populated then Denver. Look at Kansas's surrounding states with no NFL teams, Oklahoma, Nebraska, Iowa, 1/2 Missouri, Arkansas, New Mexico, South Dakota, North Dakota.

Look at Colorado's Surrounding states with no NFL Team, all have little population. Wyoming, Montana, New Mexico, Utah (exception) Idaho, North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska.

KC has much more opportunity for a bigger Market, but Denver has a larger one, mostly because the Broncos are a better franchise.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._states_and_territories_by_population

oubronco
12-18-2009, 07:35 AM
"The simple fact is that this blackout is not only symbolic and representative of the season, but this season is the apex of Chiefs’ futility. Kansas City has lost 33 of the last 38 games – on par with the worst 38 game stretch in NFL history."

Thats pushing Detroit numbers

Kaylore
12-18-2009, 08:07 AM

I have to agree with this. If you're paying to watch the crap they keep putting on the field year after year does that make you a good fan or a fool? I would argue the latter b/c not going sends a message to management and things get shaken up. However there are always those die-hards who go no matter what and you gotta respect that too...

Tombstone RJ
12-18-2009, 08:11 AM

The only way you can see the game is to buy a ticket. Loser.

Meck77
12-18-2009, 08:20 AM
It's interesting that the chief fans have finally realized the chiefs stink. Pretty ironic since these same fans spent YEARS defending their pathetic organization in here. *shrug*

I think we should just sell the entire state of Missouri to mexico. Nothing there anyway.

Greatspirits
12-18-2009, 10:59 AM

Sorry Boob, that only happens to pathetic sports cities like Kansas Sh*ty! We have good karma, our teams will always rock!

Peoples Champ
12-18-2009, 11:06 AM
Sorry Boob, that only happens to pathetic sports cities like Kansas Sh*ty! We have good karma, our teams will always rock!

Ya, Its rare when the Broncos are as bad as the Chiefs are now. I have only been a fan since 1995 and the worse I saw was a 6-10 season.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/den/

But as I look at the broncos all time on this site, I saw we were 2-7 in in 1982 and 2-11 in 1963 and 1964. Still, we have never been as bad as the Chiefs are for that long.

Old Dude
12-18-2009, 11:38 AM

LOL

I'm just hoping we can help them reach 36 losses in 41 games.

Crushaholic
12-18-2009, 01:54 PM
In the local market, the hometown team's games are always blacked out on Direct TV's NFL Sunday Ticket regardless if it's a home or away game.

The NFL blacks out the hometown team's game on Sunday Ticket because they want the area viewers to watch the local station's advertising. It's put in place to protect them.

It looks like you are correct...

http://support.directv.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1708/session/L3NpZC9HNkMxV01Qag%3D%3D/sno/0

A regular-season, Sunday afternoon home team game will be blacked out in a home team's territory if the game fails to sell out at least 72 hours in advance. This is to make sure that the team benefits from a stadium full of enthusiastic fans and to protect home game attendance and local television coverage. If the game is blacked out on your local broadcast station, it will also be blacked out in your area on NFL SUNDAY TICKET™. Each stadium's local blackout area is defined by the broadcast signal of the local affiliate carrying the game, not by the mileage surrounding the stadium.

Topeka is considered a secondary market, but it's still within the area of "home team coverage"...

TomServo
12-18-2009, 01:58 PM
the broncos also have to comptete for fan dollars and attendance from the nuggets, rockies, and avalanche. the rockies already made the playoffs for the 2009 season and the broncos, nuggets, and avalanche all look to do the same.
the chiefs dont even have to worry about competing with the royals because they never make the playoffs and are done with their season in sept.

missingnumber7
12-18-2009, 02:02 PM
the broncos also have to comptete for fan dollars and attendance from the nuggets, rockies, and avalanche. the rockies already made the playoffs for the 2009 season and the broncos, nuggets, and avalanche all look to do the same.
the chiefs dont even have to worry about competeting the royals because they never make the playoffs and are done with their season in MAY.

Fixed it for ya.

TomServo
12-18-2009, 02:14 PM
su cks to be a KC sports fan.
the Avs are surprisingly good this season. even im surprised theyve kept their strong start going.

broncosteven
12-18-2009, 02:36 PM

I guess the real reason I find the black out funny was that I became a Bronco fan before their 1st winning season. I rememeber when the city was a buzz about a team that never made it to the playoffs. We moved away in the Spring of 77 so I didn't get the vibe from the SB run.

Even with what occured this offseason nothing other than poor health would keep me away from living and dying with my team once the season started. I actually expect at some point in my life Denver will go through a rough patch, I just hope it is not a 40+ year rough patch.

orangeatheist
12-18-2009, 03:19 PM
I guess the real reason I find the black out funny was that I became a Bronco fan before their 1st winning season. I rememeber when the city was a buzz about a team that never made it to the playoffs. We moved away in the Spring of 77 so I didn't get the vibe from the SB run.

Even with what occured this offseason nothing other than poor health would keep me away from living and dying with my team once the season started. I actually expect at some point in my life Denver will go through a rough patch, I just hope it is not a 40+ year rough patch.

Broncosteven, just sent you a PM regardng this post...

Atwater His Ass
12-18-2009, 05:20 PM
hey meck, wasn't complaining, just pointing out that the reason I love the REP system is because of the comments and how emo people get over them.

since TJ is always talking about getting rid of it, I hope he ends up just doing away with the pointless score total, but allows the comments to continue.

12-18-2009 02:06 AM Meck77 I always neg rep people who publically cry about neg rep. Standard policy.

Hey, but keep fighting the good fight brother!Hilarious!

Bronx33
12-18-2009, 05:38 PM
Congrats mulletville you are offically the midwest raiders only ****** red.

Bronco Yoda
12-19-2009, 12:28 AM
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/188/465908300_0c0945ee14.jpg

KCStud
12-19-2009, 03:40 AM
Im not sure about the markets for the teams, KC's surrounding states with no NFL team are much more populated then Denver. Look at Kansas's surrounding states with no NFL teams, Oklahoma, Nebraska, Iowa, 1/2 Missouri, Arkansas, New Mexico, South Dakota, North Dakota.

Look at Colorado's Surrounding states with no NFL Team, all have little population. Wyoming, Montana, New Mexico, Utah (exception) Idaho, North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska.

KC has much more opportunity for a bigger Market, but Denver has a larger one, mostly because the Broncos are a better franchise.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._states_and_territories_by_population

Oklahoma is claimed by the Cowboys hands down. Maybe in the upper part of the state it's Chiefs, but vast majority is Cowboys.

The Broncos have a better history than KC as far as playoff success because of 90's. Other than that the Broncos history is nothing but countless failures. The Broncos have 1 playoff win since Elway and KC has 0. Neither Denver or KC has been an elite franchise since the 90's and everybody knows it.

Meck77
12-19-2009, 05:01 AM
Oklahoma is claimed by the Cowboys hands down. Maybe in the upper part of the state it's Chiefs, but vast majority is Cowboys.

The Broncos have a better history than KC as far as playoff success because of 90's. Other than that the Broncos history is nothing but countless failures. The Broncos have 1 playoff win since Elway and KC has 0. Neither Denver or KC has been an elite franchise since the 90's and everybody knows it.

LOL

So are you going to wipe away our THREE Superbowl appearances in the 80's?

What about the one in 77?

Bronco Yoda
12-19-2009, 06:01 AM
Ssshhhh.... thems don't count in mullet-jr's mind. He wasn't an inch in his daddy's pants just yet.

ScottXray
12-19-2009, 06:51 AM

If you are in the area where over the air antennas can show you the Chefs game from KC station directly it will also be blacked out on Direct tv. In other words if the direct tv LOCAL stations are the KC ones they will NOT show the game.

As for Sunday ticket...I think the same rule applies...KC local area will be blacked out.

Kaylore
12-19-2009, 07:25 AM
To Chief fans, if you don't win the Super Bowl it's the same as going 3-13. They tell themselves this so they won't weep into their mustard pillows at night.

Los Broncos
12-19-2009, 08:37 AM
To Chief fans, if you don't win the Super Bowl it's the same as going 3-13. They tell themselves this so they won't weep into their mustard pillows at night.

bowtown
12-19-2009, 08:48 AM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/AZbdIQLsEpU&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/AZbdIQLsEpU&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

broncosteven
12-19-2009, 10:04 AM
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/188/465908300_0c0945ee14.jpg

It looks like alot of Camero dealers and trailer parks have a great chance on collecting on their car loans and rent this month.

barryr
12-19-2009, 11:01 AM
Most Chief fans are so pathetic they have to visit other teams' forums and post trash instead of rooting for their team, which apparently has been shown to be a waste of their time.

broncosteven
12-19-2009, 12:47 PM
Most Chief fans are so pathetic they have to visit other teams' forums and post trash instead of rooting for their team, which apparently has been shown to be a waste of their time.

I am guessing their forums are just as empty.