PDA

View Full Version : Shanahan headed to the Redskins?

orangenblue
12-17-2009, 02:57 PM
http://www.profootballweekly.com/2009/12/17/redskins-hire-allen-as-gm-shanahan-next

Popps
12-17-2009, 02:59 PM
He'd have an open checkbook, but at what price? I wonder if Shanahan wants to work for a guy like Snyder at this stage in his career.

I hope he makes a better choice than that.

TheDave
12-17-2009, 03:00 PM
I've always figured it would be either Washington or Dallas... what other owners are going to throw 10+ million a year at a coach.

Inkana7
12-17-2009, 03:01 PM
As long as its not in the AFC.

Tombstone RJ
12-17-2009, 03:14 PM
Snyder wants to hire the guy who raped him on a few trades. It's understandable. What's the clinical term for it again, where the victom identifies with the perpatrator?

BroncoMan4ever
12-17-2009, 03:16 PM
He'd have an open checkbook, but at what price? I wonder if Shanahan wants to work for a guy like Snyder at this stage in his career.

that is the perfect place for him. if he can get Washington even slightly competitive in the NFC East he will become a god to that teams fanbase

he needs a situation with Snyder or Jones who will give him control like he had in Denver, where his only superior was the owner.

jhns
12-17-2009, 03:20 PM
I would love this. A few of my good friends are Cowboys fans and they want Shanahan bad. I would love to have him beat up on them a couple times a year. I won't be able to root for him if he goes to the Cowboys.

Popps
12-17-2009, 03:23 PM
I'd like to see him back in SF. Followed him when I lived up there before he was our coach, and always thought the city embraced him.

bronco militia
12-17-2009, 03:26 PM
the Redskins hired Bruce Allen as their new GM.......Chucky would be my first guess for the redskins job

TheReverend
12-17-2009, 03:31 PM
Snyder wants to hire the guy who raped him on a few trades. It's understandable. What's the clinical term for it again, where the victom identifies with the perpatrator?

You're probably thinking of Stockholm syndrome... victim identifies with or falls in love with captors.

OBF1
12-17-2009, 04:02 PM
the Redskins hired Bruce Allen as their new GM.......Chucky would be my first guess for the redskins job

Chucky re-up'd for his Monday Night gig a couple weeks ago.

Hogan11
12-17-2009, 04:24 PM
Oh God. If he ended up with the Cowboys or Deadskins, it'd be hard to continue to like him.

Sassy
12-17-2009, 04:25 PM

I actually like Gruden.

Hogan11
12-17-2009, 04:25 PM

It's amazing what a rumor of the Bills wanting you for their HC can do :spit:

OBF1
12-17-2009, 04:34 PM
I hated Chuckie when he was with the faiders, But that superbowl beating he laid on them turned me into a fan of his.

Bronco Yoda
12-17-2009, 04:43 PM
Shanahan could really get back into the groove if he really decided to forgo the GM responsibilities, and went back to full time coaching. Glads it's the NFC.

At least he'll have a RB to trade for some picks or something.

bombay
12-17-2009, 04:53 PM
Many of the ..guys who were certain he was headed to Chicago were wrong.

Again.

gyldenlove
12-17-2009, 05:43 PM
I would love to see Shanny with the Redskins, he could pull a Mangini and trade for a few players like Scheffler and Hamilton and he will be off our books so Bowlen will have more money to sign Kuper, Marshall and Dumervil - it is all good.

Hogan11
12-17-2009, 05:47 PM
I would love to see Shanny with the Redskins, he could pull a Mangini and trade for a few players like Scheffler and Hamilton and he will be off our books so Bowlen will have more money to sign Kuper, Marshall and Dumervil - it is all good.

Marshall will probably take 80% of the available funds to retain, so say goodbye to everyone else. :(

rastaman
12-17-2009, 05:48 PM

As long as he stays away from Jerry Jones and Al Davis.....he should be alright.:thumbsup:

UberBroncoMan
12-17-2009, 05:49 PM
I hate Redskins fans... Hoggets seriously... though I guess pigs and the capital makes sense these days... never mind.

Yeah I'm all for Shanahan in the NFC. I do NOT want to see him in the AFC one bit.

521 1N5
12-17-2009, 05:59 PM
though I guess pigs and the capital makes sense these days

:~ohyah!:

rastaman
12-17-2009, 06:01 PM
that is the perfect place for him. if he can get Washington even slightly competitive in the NFC East he will become a god to that teams fanbase

he needs a situation with Snyder or Jones who will give him control like he had in Denver, where his only superior was the owner.

The problem I see with Jerry Jones and Shanny going to Dalls was the fall out Jones and Jimmy Johnson had. We all recall how Jones out right fired J. Johnson after having won Jones two consecutive Super Bowls and turning the Cowboys from a 1-15 team to eventual back-to-back SB Champs. It was Jimmy Johnson that engineered the 24 player deal for Hershel Walker. Johnson took all those draft picks and turned Dallas into winners. And what does Jerry Jones do.....he Fires Jimmy Johnson over a spat of egos!

Point is, can Shanny trust Jerry Jones? We all know Jones is a hands on mettlesome owner and has to be in the limelight alongside the HC......I don't think Shanny would like that environment. Shanny has vision of Jerry Jones firing him after he returns Dallas back to the top of the NFL as well.

Working for Jerry Jones could equal sleeping with a Rattle Snake.

Florida_Bronco
12-17-2009, 06:38 PM

Why would we give up Scheffler?

plummershelper
12-17-2009, 06:40 PM
I'm worried about losing Bobby Turner more than anything.

Pony Boy
12-17-2009, 07:08 PM
Portis better pack his bags.....

Florida_Bronco
12-17-2009, 07:15 PM
I'm worried about losing Bobby Turner more than anything.

What makes you think it will happen? I know 24Champ (in his typical doom and gloom manner) will try to tell us that both Turner and Dennison are gone when Shanny gets a new job, but really there is no evidence to suggest that happens. Both of them would have to be given promotions and Turner has never shown any legitimate interest in being an offensive coordinator, and frankly I'm not too worried about losing Dennison so if Shanny wants to take him, he can be my guest.

Bottom line is I think it's much more likely that Turner (and maybe Dennison) are more loyal to the Broncos than they are to Mike Shanahan.

eddie mac
12-17-2009, 07:16 PM
Be good to free up that $7m or so cos I'm pretty sure McDaniels would love to use it on players.

extralife
12-17-2009, 07:45 PM
If I were Shanny I'd definitely at least wait to see if San Diego gets blown out in the playoffs and finally gets rid of Norv Turner

HEAV
12-17-2009, 08:08 PM
Shanny can't be hired until Snyder fullfills the Rooney rule.

ZONA
12-17-2009, 08:13 PM

Chucky has done a great job on MNF and I hope he chooses to stay there for a few more years.

Bronco LB52
12-17-2009, 08:36 PM

Who will take the bait? Greg Blache or Sherman Lewis?

bronco militia
12-17-2009, 08:46 PM
IMO, shanny will wait for a shot to run all football operations again.

IMO scratch shanny off the list in DC. I don't think he'll work for a GM

snyderbrenner can easily out bid monday night football for the services of John Gruden

McDman
12-17-2009, 08:46 PM
We have to realize wherever he goes their defense is going to blow, he is taking Slowik wherever he ends up. That's a death wish for that team.

Florida_Bronco
12-17-2009, 08:48 PM
We have to realize wherever he goes their defense is going to blow, he is taking Slowik wherever he ends up. That's a death wish for that team.

Hence the reason I want him in San Diego.

azbroncfan
12-17-2009, 08:59 PM
Hence the reason I want him in San Diego.

Yep and we could trade the bum Moss to him for a couple draft picks.

Man-Goblin
12-17-2009, 09:28 PM
I gotta say it, I would love to see if he could turn it around there, and would probably even root (a little bit, maybe?) for the Redskins.

Shanahan going to a team that already has a pretty stout defense could be interesting, as long he doesn't bring in the wrong people to run it (ahem).

Plus, with the Redskins missing he playoffs he can write as many blank checks as he wants.

Atwater His Ass
12-17-2009, 09:30 PM

Maybe, maybe not.

People bagged on Coyer when he left here and he's been pretty successful since leaving Denver.

Sometimes all it takes is a change of scenery.

strafen
12-17-2009, 09:35 PM

Too late now, if the rumors are true.
Granted they still have to interview minority candidates, but for what avail, if Shanahan would end up getting the job anyway.
That just makes a mockery of the Rooney rule, IMO...

Those are the things team owners dread the most, that news like these get leaked to the media.
Washington can face fines by the NFL for violating their hiring policies.

For this reason, I don't see this happening at this stage...

Bronco LB52
12-17-2009, 09:38 PM
Shanahan was Denver's version of Paul Brown. I will always pull for him and will be forever grateful for the great things he did for this franchise.

Man-Goblin
12-17-2009, 09:42 PM
Too late now, if the rumors are true.
Granted they still have to interview minority candidates, but for what avail, if Shanahan would end up getting the job anyway.
That just makes a mockery of the Rooney rule, IMO...

Those are the things team owners dread the most, that news like these get leaked to the media.
Washington can face fines by the NFL for violating their hiring policies.

For this reason, I don't see this happening at this stage...

The fine for igoring the Rooney rule is less than what Bud Adams got for flipping off all of Buffalo, NY, if I remember correctly.

Bronco LB52
12-17-2009, 09:50 PM
I want to see Shanahan reach the HOF. If he fails into his next gig, there is a chance that the voters will perceive his legacy in the same light as Tom Flores and George Seifert.

strafen
12-17-2009, 09:50 PM
The fine for igoring the Rooney rule is less than what Bud Adams got for flipping off all of Buffalo, NY, if I remember correctly.Speaking of that, he's got like something over 100 grand?
I knew it was pretty hefty...

uplink
12-17-2009, 11:41 PM
Snyder should just offer Shanny a ton of money, an offer his ego couldn't refuse. I mean off the carts figures. Would be better spent than a high priced free agent or 2 as is their usual mode of operation.
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

24champ
12-18-2009, 01:00 AM
What makes you think it will happen? I know 24Champ (in his typical doom and gloom manner) will try to tell us that both Turner and Dennison are gone when Shanny gets a new job, but really there is no evidence to suggest that happens. Both of them would have to be given promotions and Turner has never shown any legitimate interest in being an offensive coordinator, and frankly I'm not too worried about losing Dennison so if Shanny wants to take him, he can be my guest.

Bottom line is I think it's much more likely that Turner (and maybe Dennison) are more loyal to the Broncos than they are to Mike Shanahan.

First of all, I'm not doom and gloom, I am a realist.

Secondly, there's no evidence to suggest they would stay either. The offense has regressed from last year somewhat under the new system. It's pretty clear it's a transition period for the offense, and I am not sure McDaniels wants to keep those two around. Especially when he was forced to keep them around by Pat Bowlen.

Finally, Turner would likely be an OC in name only. Shanahan would run the offense and Dennison would likely get an Assistant Head Coach/Offensive Line title that he had under Shanny last year. I guarantee they both will get that phone call from Shanny once he gets hired somewhere.

Florida_Bronco
12-18-2009, 01:30 AM
Secondly, there's no evidence to suggest they would stay either. The offense has regressed from last year somewhat under the new system. It's pretty clear it's a transition period for the offense, and I am not sure McDaniels wants to keep those two around. Especially when he was forced to keep them around by Pat Bowlen. There is evidence, at least in Turner's case. He's been offered promotions around the league and has turned them down to stay in Denver.

As far as McDaniels being "forced" to keep them, I'd say that's an assumption on your part. We've all got the same source that the story is coming from and when it was told to me it was stated that McDaniels was not that big on Turner and then Joe Ellis "intervened". What that "intervention" entailed was never explained, at least to me.

I'm sure it's possible that McDaniels was forced to keep those two, but given the information I've heard (and again, it's the same source) coming to that conclusion is a pretty big reach.

Finally, Turner would likely be an OC in name only. What makes you think he would take that position when other teams would be willing to give him a legitimate OC spot that he's turned down in the past?

Shanahan would run the offense and Dennison would likely get an Assistant Head Coach/Offensive Line title that he had under Shanny last year. So basically if that happened, Shanahan would have another cluster**** of a coaching staff? Too many cooks in the kitchen and all that, right? Sounds like a winning recipe to me.

I guarantee they both will get that phone call from Shanny once he gets hired somewhere. Oh I'm sure they will, I just doubt that they (Turner especially) will go. It's just a hunch but it seems to me that their loyalties lie more with the team than to Shanny.

Florida_Bronco
12-18-2009, 01:32 AM
Yep and we could trade the bum Moss to him for a couple draft picks.

If we were going to do that we would have traded him to Tampa when Jim Bates was still there. They might have jumped on it too since they picked up Crowder and he's put together a decent little season there though.

But, it's pretty clear at this point that the coaching staff is going to hold onto him, at least for this year.

24champ
12-18-2009, 02:01 AM
There is evidence, at least in Turner's case. He's been offered promotions around the league and has turned them down to stay in Denver.

He's interviewed for OC positions. I haven't seen an article where he's been offered an OC position and turned it down.

He's been an offensive coordinator before in the college ranks. But again he would most likely just be a Offensive Coord. in name only, and probably a significant pay raise. Snyder hires Shanahan then probably anyone that Shanahan wants on the staff, he will get.

As far as McDaniels being "forced" to keep them, I'd say that's an assumption on your part.

I don't know how many times I have to tell you, but it's not an assumption and we aren't talking about the same source. I found out about this long before your source did.

What makes you think he would take that position when other teams would be willing to give him a legitimate OC spot that he's turned down in the past?

For starters, he'd be working alongside Shanahan. You know the guy that brought him to Denver?

So basically if that happened, Shanahan would have another cluster**** of a coaching staff? Too many cooks in the kitchen and all that, right? Sounds like a winning recipe to me.

Not really, just a way to circumvent the rules of hiring coaches and it's a pretty good chance that Shanahan would want to work with these guys since he has been with them for 13 years.

Oh I'm sure they will, I just doubt that they (Turner especially) will go. It's just a hunch but it seems to me that their loyalties lie more with the team than to Shanny.

We'll see. I think you will be surprised.

bronco militia
12-18-2009, 07:21 AM
wow!

I guess it's almost a done deal.....please disregard my previous post ;D

Former Broncos head coach Mike Shanahan has been in discussions to become the Washington Redskins' next head coach, according to two NFL sources.

The two sides still have some issues to work through, however, before an agreement is reached. The 4-9 Redskins long have been eliminated from playoff contention and have three games remaining with coach Jim Zorn.

Redskins owner Daniel Snyder began housecleaning Wednesday with Bruce Allen replacing Vinny Cerrato as general manager. One NFL source said that when Shana-han spoke with the Buffalo Bills last month about their new front-office/coaching openings, Allen was to be included in the package there.

The Allen-Shanahan partnership appears ready to take control of the struggling but tradition-rich franchise in the nation's capital.

Shanahan was the Broncos' coach for 14 seasons, winning back-to-back Super Bowls in the 1997-98 seasons, until he was fired after his third consecutive nonplayoff appearance last season.

Allen was Tampa Bay's GM for five seasons until he was fired after last season.

At first glance, the Redskins' GM change Wednesday seemed to hurt Shanahan's chances of becoming the head coach there because he had a close relationship with Cerrato dating to their days with the San Francisco 49ers. Allen, meanwhile, was well-connected to former coach Jon Gruden for several years in Tampa Bay.

But Allen and Shanahan also have formed a strong relationship over the years. For starters, they may have shared some horror stories of Oakland Raiders owner Al Davis. Shanahan was fired as head coach by Davis four games into the 1989 season. Allen, son of the late legendary head coach George Allen, worked in the Raiders' front office from 1995-2003.

Shanahan's son Kyle also got his NFL assistant coaching start with Allen and Gruden at Tampa Bay in 2004-05.

After the 2006 season, Mike Shana-han sent disgruntled quarterback Jake Plummer to Tampa Bay for a seventh- round draft pick (which turned out to be Peyton Hillis), even though Plummer had already announced his retirement.

Tampa Bay agreed to the deal, however, in part because Allen and Gruden thought they could talk Plummer out of retirement, but also because they could recover up to $7 million in a pro-rated signing bonus from the quarterback for retiring before the end of his contract.

Such quirky trades are never made unless the two parties have built a strong trust with one another. Plummer stayed retired and wound up reaching a settlement that forced him to write a $3.5 million check to the Bucs.

The Broncos have reason to monitor Shanahan's situation closely. After this season, he would still have two years and close to $14 million remaining on his contract with the Broncos. Should Shanahan receive a new contract as coach of the Redskins, the Broncos would receive an offset of at least a couple million dollars from what they owe their former coach.

Read more: http://www.denverpost.com/premium/broncos/ci_14022385#ixzz0a3OYSqRm

Tombstone RJ
12-18-2009, 07:54 AM
You're probably thinking of Stockholm syndrome... victim identifies with or falls in love with captors.

That's it!

Gort
12-18-2009, 09:07 AM
shanny in washington working for snyder = flushing shanny's reputation down the toilet. happened with gibbs. happened with spurrier. it happens with everyone. that's a dysfunctional franchise. nobody escapes unscathed.

The Joker
12-18-2009, 09:19 AM
If I were Shanny I'd definitely at least wait to see if San Diego gets blown out in the playoffs and finally gets rid of Norv Turner

I think it's time to let the whole "Norv Sucks" stuff die, I don't think it's the case anymore unfortunately.

Traveler
12-18-2009, 09:29 AM
I think it's time to let the whole "Norv Sucks" stuff die, I don't think it's the case anymore unfortunately.

+1! Especially since Norv has pretty much owned us the last 3 years.

bronco militia
12-18-2009, 09:49 AM

sad but true

Florida_Bronco
12-18-2009, 11:21 AM
He's interviewed for OC positions. I haven't seen an article where he's been offered an OC position and turned it down. Both Miami and the Saints made serious runs at Turner a few years back and he never took the position, and even Turner himself hinted at the fact that he only went so the "Rooney Rule" could be satisfied. It's also been rumored that he made it pretty clear to Shanny that he had no interest in taking on the OC role, hence why he was never promoted when Kubiak and then Dinger left.

He's been an offensive coordinator before in the college ranks. But again he would most likely just be a Offensive Coord. in name only, and probably a significant pay raise.

For starters, he'd be working alongside Shanahan. You know the guy that brought him to Denver?

Being redundant here, but there is a substantial amount of evidence showing Turner's lack of interest in taking an OC job. The only logical reason for Turner to leave Denver would be some infallible loyalty to Shanahan and there is no evidence of such loyalty. I know that's the angle you will work because of your Shanahan hero-worship, but I think it's much more likely his loyalty lies to the team he's spent over a decade with and was a part of two Super Bowl wins.

Snyder hires Shanahan then probably anyone that Shanahan wants on the staff, he will get. Except that A) McDaniels could beat him to the punch and promote one of them to the assistant head coach title, making it impossible for Shanny to steal them and B) we don't know if there are any agreements or contract clauses in place that would prevent Shanahan from doing this.

I don't know how many times I have to tell you, but it's not an assumption and we aren't talking about the same source. I found out about this long before your source did. Except we KNOW who I'm talking about (your source is still a secret) and the one I'm talking about has about as proven of a track record as you can get. Isn't your source the same one who insisted we actively tried to trade Cutler despite guys like Adam Schefter and that "other source" confirming that to be false?

Not really, just a way to circumvent the rules of hiring coaches and it's a pretty good chance that Shanahan would want to work with these guys since he has been with them for 13 years. You can try to spin it anyway you want but doing things like that is the definition of a cluster**** and it WILL be a problem if he does that. There are alot of people who attribute our struggles to the way Shanny assembled the coaching staff after Kubiak and Coyer left, and I think they're right. We've all heard the claims about players having trouble because they were getting contradictory instruction from their coaches. If Shanahan makes that same mistake again he'll go down in mediocrity, again.

I just hope it happens in San Diego.

Florida_Bronco
12-18-2009, 11:24 AM

We've split the series with them the last two years, and the loss this year came with a gimpy quarterback who shouldn't have even been in the game. How does that equate to "owning" us?

The book on Norv has always been the same. Very good OC but a poor head coach. He stepped into a team that was loaded with talent and drafts well so that has masked some of his shortcomings, but he hasn't really improved that team either.

Broncoman13
12-18-2009, 12:59 PM
Shanahan will do what he can to get Kubes back in the fold after he is fired after yet another mediocre season in Houston. On defense I would be somewhat surprised to see him not bring in a DC that is familiar with the 3-4. He won't let go of Slowick, but he'll move him back to the secondary. He is extremely loyal to his coaches, but he isn't dumb either.

McDman
12-18-2009, 01:01 PM
Maybe, maybe not.

People bagged on Coyer when he left here and he's been pretty successful since leaving Denver.

Sometimes all it takes is a change of scenery.

Go look at Slowik's stats wherever he has been, I think I read somewhere that the are some of the worst in history.

Broncoman13
12-18-2009, 01:03 PM
Oh, and as a Bronco fan and Mike Shanahan fan, the Washington Redskins would be the perfect fit. Not the AFC W. Not in the AFC altogether. In the AFC East where we wouldn't have to play him for another four years!

He would have to rebuild that offense. But the defense is in pretty good shape which should be another attraction for Shanny.

He'll have a bottomless pocketbook for FA which means he could very well bring Brandon Marshall to Washington and give up the draft pick.

I think Jason Campbell is Shanny's type of QB. Strong armed and mobile, I think Shanny could do wonders with that guy.

The OL is pretty bad but he'd install the ZBS and most likely be able to find a lot of guys that fit perfectly with what he'd like to do. Most likely a guy like Chris Kuper who I think we will release this year rather than pay and retain.

tonngo0
12-18-2009, 01:07 PM
Well Snyder could offer Shanny 5 years deal for $35 Mil with the first 2 year 2 mil and 3 mil and the last 3 are 9, 10, 11 mil to piss Bowlen off cause then Bowlen still on the hook for 9 mil. that will be too funny.

cutthemdown
12-18-2009, 01:20 PM
Marshall will probably take 80% of the available funds to retain, so say goodbye to everyone else. :(

Broncos may tag one of two. Either doom or Marshall. Then they can worry about a deal for one of them next yr.

Since Marshall has more baggage I would tag him, sign Doom long term, Lowball Scheff and probably let him walk.

Keep Kuper if they can unless there is some upgrade they see in FA etc.

Get Graham to take a pay cut.

Get Bailey to take a pay cut.

I think a lot of the above is going to happen.

Hogan11
12-18-2009, 01:22 PM
Broncos may tag one of two. Either doom or Marshall. Then they can worry about a deal for one of them next yr.

Since Marshall has more baggage I would tag him, sign Doom long term, Lowball Scheff and probably let him walk.

I hope your right.

watermock
12-18-2009, 01:26 PM
I was wrong about Coyer, too a degree.

Anyone watch the Colts game? 8 lead changes?

Garrard went Favre and overthru 4 passes.

I called for Coyers head, it's my fault, but he has more talent, and his D was suspect last night.

No way I ever knew the crap behind Rhodes would be so bad, by the time Shanny got his offense assembled, Cutler blew it against Buffalo and it was over.

watermock
12-18-2009, 01:28 PM

Can't you tag both or 3 if you can't reach a deal?

Rohirrim
12-18-2009, 01:30 PM

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see McD go shopping for at least, Mankins, maybe even Wilfork. So add that into your calculations.

Bronx33
12-18-2009, 01:34 PM
IF shanny gives up GM duties he just might do that franchise some good in 4 or 5 years.

azbroncfan
12-18-2009, 01:36 PM
But, it's pretty clear at this point that the coaching staff is going to hold onto him, at least for this year.

Of course they aren't going to move/cut him this year. Your Moss FatHead is safe for now.

azbroncfan
12-18-2009, 01:38 PM
We've split the series with them the last two years, and the loss this year came with a gimpy quarterback who shouldn't have even been in the game. How does that equate to "owning" us?

The book on Norv has always been the same. Very good OC but a poor head coach. He stepped into a team that was loaded with talent and drafts well so that has masked some of his shortcomings, but he hasn't really improved that team either.

Norv has owned Denver and given Denver some of the worst loss's in franchise history. He even did well against us in Oakland considering the garbage that they had there. I don't think he is a good coach but his teams have done well against Denver regardless.

Broncoman13
12-18-2009, 01:41 PM

I think you either pay Marshall or plan on getting picks back in return. Hopefully somebody like the Redskins, Rams, Browns or Bucs will offer him the sweet deal he is looking for.

If somebody like the Cowboys, Ravens, Titans, Jags, or Jets (10-6 type teams) offers him the big money then you have a tough decision to make. The draft pick will be in the teens which won't get you a Dez Bryant to back fill for him.

Now, if for some unknown reason a team like the Eagles, Bengals, or Vikings offer him a contract, you probably need to match as a pick in the late 20's or 30's isn't worth losing BMarsh.

Placing the franchise tag on BMarsh would only cause more problems and carry this thing on even further. $ wise it's probably cheaper to tag him and pay Doom, but for the sake of the team and keeping the chemistry high, I think we should pay BMarsh and tag Doom. Doom gets a $12-14m contract for the year and BMarsh gets the big money deal for the next 5 or 6 years. I think it's going to take 5 years and $50m to keep BMarsh around though. Maybe a little less for Doom. Neither are what you would consider extremely consistent, but BMarsh is a bit more consistent than Doom.

So, I think we'll give Orton 4 years $24m with about $8m in signing bonus.

BMarsh- 5 years, $55m with $15m in bonus $.
Scheff- 4 years, $16m with $4m in bonus $.
Doom- Tagged or a 5 year $40m and $12m in bonus $.
Kuper- Gets a 2nd round tender which is probably around $2m per.

I'm not super down on Kuper, but I think after the Colts game he isn't as valuable to McD as he was at the beginning of the season. For a guy playing for a new contract, he has done too well. The Jags moved the Colts DL consistenly last night. We couldn't get a 3rd and short up the middle to save our lives!

Florida_Bronco
12-18-2009, 01:45 PM
Shanahan will do what he can to get Kubes back in the fold after he is fired after yet another mediocre season in Houston. On defense I would be somewhat surprised to see him not bring in a DC that is familiar with the 3-4. He won't let go of Slowick, but he'll move him back to the secondary. He is extremely loyal to his coaches, but he isn't dumb either.

Not dumb? He tried to hire Slowik to be his DC either before or after Rhodes was here, then hired him to be the DB coach and fast tracked him into the DC spot and was all set to let him remain their despite the abortion that our 2008 defense was.

Oh, and he did this after taking Jim Bates (a proven DC) and cutting him off at the knees half way into the 2007 season. Kinda blows the "not dumb" argument out of the water.

bowtown
12-18-2009, 01:54 PM
Not dumb? He tried to hire Slowik to be his DC either before or after Rhodes was here, then hired him to be the DB coach and fast tracked him into the DC spot and was all set to let him remain their despite the abortion that our 2008 defense was.

Oh, and he did this after taking Jim Bates (a proven DC) and cutting him off at the knees half way into the 2007 season. Kinda blows the "not dumb" argument out of the water.

To be fair Bates got cut off at the knees half way through this season too in Tampa Bay. I don't think the mistake with Bates was taking the reins from him, I think it was ever handing them to him in the first place.

Florida_Bronco
12-18-2009, 01:56 PM
Norv has owned Denver and given Denver some of the worst loss's in franchise history. Really?

We beat him at least twice that I can recall while he was the Redskin's head coach. He beat us in the "snow game" in 2004 after we stomped them 31-3 earlier in the year.

We swept them in 2005.

They swept us in 2007 and we split the series in 2008 and 2009.

By my count we own a record of 7-5 over him. I'd say we're the ones who owned him, not the other way around.

Florida_Bronco
12-18-2009, 02:10 PM
To be fair Bates got cut off at the knees half way through this season too in Tampa Bay. I don't think the mistake with Bates was taking the reins from him, I think it was ever handing them to him in the first place.

The problem with hiring Bates here is that our best defensive player (Bailey) wasn't a great fit for his scheme and then Shanahan simply used their early struggles (which was a trademark of Bates defenses) as an excuse to hand the reigns over to Slowik. There are also pretty credible rumors of a personality conflict between Bates and Shanahan over the resources being allocated to defensive players.

I don't know what the deal is with Bates in Tampa Bay. I thought it was an odd situation from the start because they were never going to deviate away from the Tampa 2, and that isn't what Bates likes to run.

UberBroncoMan
12-18-2009, 02:11 PM

In fact I believe in Turner's case the reason he's still here is because of family. He WANTED to stay in Denver because believe me any team would love to have him as their RB coach.

TonyR
12-18-2009, 02:15 PM
From Schefter:

Washington tried trading for Jay Cutler. It explored drafting Mark Sanchez. And ultimately, it might have wound up with the most preferable alternative of all, Jason Campbell. After the trade rumors from last offseason and the consistent chaos this season, Campbell remained unflustered. He has exuded a quiet confidence that has enabled him to prosper, boost his value for next season and prove to the Redskins that they might not need to draft a quarterback. One NFL head coach said this week that if Campbell were in the 2010 draft, he would be the second quarterback picked. Campbell still holds the football too long -- a la Aaron Rodgers, who was drafted one spot ahead of him in the 2005 draft -- but he is tough enough to withstand the hits and the doubters. While Campbell slowly has emerged, so have some young Redskins targets, most notably tight end Fred Davis and Devin Thomas. Suddenly, the team looks as if it has some young offensive firepower. With Campbell's contract up after this season, he has proven to the Redskins that Washington's quarterback of the future might just be its quarterback of the present.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=schefter_adam&id=4748380

DenverBrit
12-18-2009, 02:17 PM
Shanny won't go to Washington....more likely to Dallas.

He likes taking over from Wade.

Florida_Bronco
12-18-2009, 02:20 PM
In fact I believe in Turner's case the reason he's still here is because of family. He WANTED to stay in Denver because believe me any team would love to have him as their RB coach.

Yes I think the same thing has been said about Nolan too.

HEAV
12-18-2009, 03:12 PM
The fine for igoring the Rooney rule is less than what Bud Adams got for flipping off all of Buffalo, NY, if I remember correctly.

The Lions got hit with the fine (200,000) back in 03. I'm sure if Snyder breaks the rule the Commish will make an example outta him!

I say take away a draft pick!

elsid13
12-18-2009, 03:25 PM
The Lions got hit with the fine (200,000) back in 03. I'm sure if Snyder breaks the rule the Commish will make an example outta him!

I say take away a draft pick!

With Allen, the Skins did interview two minority candidates, they just kept it quite. I wouldn't be surprised that they haven't already done the same if Shanahan is on his way here.

Atwater His Ass
12-18-2009, 03:30 PM
What a humiliating rule. Being forced to bring in and interview a guy who you have no intention of giving the job too. All based on nothing more than the color of his skin.

I find it hard to think of a more belittling, embarassing way to spend an interview.

24champ
12-18-2009, 03:33 PM
Both Miami and the Saints made serious runs at Turner a few years back and he never took the position, and even Turner himself hinted at the fact that he only went so the "Rooney Rule" could be satisfied. It's also been rumored that he made it pretty clear to Shanny that he had no interest in taking on the OC role, hence why he was never promoted when Kubiak and then Dinger left.

Like I said, I don't recall him being offered the OC job and him turning it down. Secondly, "Rooney rule" only applies to Head Coaching and Senior football operations. Neither of which Turner was interviewing for.

The rumor about him turning down Shanny for the OC role while with the Broncos, is a new one I have never heard of.

The only logical reason for Turner to leave Denver would be some infallible loyalty to Shanahan and there is no evidence of such loyalty. I know that's the angle you will work because of your Shanahan hero-worship, but I think it's much more likely his loyalty lies to the team he's spent over a decade with and was a part of two Super Bowl wins.

That's incorrect on several levels. There is a another reason why Turner would leave, and you keep ignoring it. McDaniels may shake up the coaches on the offensive side of the ball when this season is over with. Charlie Weis has already been linked to the Broncos since being canned from Notre Dame, there is substance to those rumors. I don't think Bowlen will intervene a second time to keep Turner around if McDaniels wants to get some new faces on the offensive coaching side of things. Like I said before, this offense is in transition to McDaniels system and changes will certainly come in the offseason.

Except that A) McDaniels could beat him to the punch and promote one of them to the assistant head coach title, making it impossible for Shanny to steal them and B) we don't know if there are any agreements or contract clauses in place that would prevent Shanahan from doing this.

In response to A, I don't think a promotion is a real possibility under McDaniels, Dennison actually got demoted under McDaniels. But I will say that is one way to keep Shanny from prying Turner away.

B.) I am not sure on their contracts, it's hard to find out since they won't discuss it during season so I am sure we'll find out this offseason.

Except we KNOW who I'm talking about (your source is still a secret) and the one I'm talking about has about as proven of a track record as you can get. Isn't your source the same one who insisted we actively tried to trade Cutler despite guys like Adam Schefter and that "other source" confirming that to be false?

Didn't Schefter retract that update he had that day?

If so, I wonder if he pulled back because of his ties with Bowlen and Joe Ellis, who are the ones that went on this fishing expedition to see what they could get. It is a little odd that 3-4 teams call in one day about your QB, and yet you say weren't actively seeking a trade. That being said, I don't think we will get the whole story of what went on.

You can try to spin it anyway you want but doing things like that is the definition of a cluster**** and it WILL be a problem if he does that.

Not spin, lots of other coaches do it as well.

Bob's your Information Minister
12-18-2009, 03:35 PM
Shanny's just angling for another big payday.

cutthemdown
12-18-2009, 03:43 PM
Shanny will coach somewhere that's is for sure. I thought he would go where the weather is nicer, but maybe he only cares about it being high profile and for a lot of money.

You can make some wicked connections being a big wig in DC. Shanny may like who he would get to rub elbows with.

24champ
12-18-2009, 03:46 PM
Shanny's just angling for another big payday.

Shanny is going to the Chiefs, I heard that on some internet rag called WPI.

Ha!

Florida_Bronco
12-18-2009, 04:29 PM
The rumor about him turning down Shanny for the OC role while with the Broncos, is a new one I have never heard of. Well I didn't say he turned Shanny down. From my understanding, Bobby had made it clear to Mike that he didn't want to work as the OC so there was no point in even offering him the job. It makes sense since Turner would have been the likely candidate after Kubiak left town, not Dennison.

That's incorrect on several levels. There is a another reason why Turner would leave, and you keep ignoring it. McDaniels may shake up the coaches on the offensive side of the ball when this season is over with. Charlie Weis has already been linked to the Broncos since being canned from Notre Dame, there is substance to those rumors. I don't think Bowlen will intervene a second time to keep Turner around if McDaniels wants to get some new faces on the offensive coaching side of things. Like I said before, this offense is in transition to McDaniels system and changes will certainly come in the offseason. If McDaniels gives Turner the boot then this is all moot. I'm talking in the sense of Shanahan trying to take a coach that we want to keep. If we don't want to keep Turner than he'll probably catch on with Shanny and then everyone is happy.

I doubt Weis coming here would have any effect on Turner. The odd man out in that situation would likely be Mike McCoy, since he is the current offensive coordinator/QB coach. At the very least he'd probably end up working only with the quarterbacks since the coordinator responsibility would be handled by Weis.

Didn't Schefter retract that update he had that day? Not to my knowledge, and even if he did we also have that other source who told us the same story.

If so, I wonder if he pulled back because of his ties with Bowlen and Joe Ellis, who are the ones that went on this fishing expedition to see what they could get. It is a little odd that 3-4 teams call in one day about your QB, and yet you say weren't actively seeking a trade. That being said, I don't think we will get the whole story of what went on. A little odd? Yes, but it's not like the league didn't know McD and Cassel were tight and one of them called asking about a trade which kinda opened the flood gates. Just like Schefter and our other friend said, the first call got a little bit of discussion and then was declined, as were all other calls.

Not spin, lots of other coaches do it as well. Really? Like who?

elsid13
12-18-2009, 04:37 PM
Well I didn't say he turned Shanny down. From my understanding, Bobby had made it clear to Mike that he didn't want to work as the OC so there was no point in even offering him the job. It makes sense since Turner would have been the likely candidate after Kubiak left town, not Dennison.

Dennison has always been the guy that Shanahan, Kubiak and Gibbs have thought would the next great coach. For some reason everyone wants to turn Dennison into some kind of idiot, but that far for the fact. Dennison is going to be very good OC/HC when he gets his chance.

There is very good chance when Shanahan calls both Turner and Dennison will go. Especial when you have owner like Synder that will pay out the big bucks for anyone Shanahan wants.

Florida_Bronco
12-18-2009, 04:52 PM
Dennison has always been the guy that Shanahan, Kubiak and Gibbs have thought would the next great coach. For some reason everyone wants to turn Dennison into some kind of idiot, but that far for the fact. Dennison is going to be very good OC/HC when he gets his chance. Oh I know. In fact I've defended Dennison here on these forums (ask Gunns, she'll tell you) and I like him alot, but at the time you had to figure that Turner would have been the more likely promotion, unless of course he made it clear he didn't want it. :)

I think Dennison has a bright future in the league, but I don't know that it's here in Denver. Dennison came up under the West Coast Offense and that's been shown the door here, so Dennison probably isn't far behind.

There is very good chance when Shanahan calls both Turner and Dennison will go. Especial when you have owner like Synder that will pay out the big bucks for anyone Shanahan wants. Turner could have bolted for a better paying job or promotion years ago, so I don't think money will make that happen.

elsid13
12-18-2009, 04:58 PM
Oh I know. In fact I've defended Dennison here on these forums (ask Gunns, she'll tell you) and I like him alot, but at the time you had to figure that Turner would have been the more likely promotion, unless of course he made it clear he didn't want it. :)

No really, Dennison was hot track because he was showing more. Remember he was the ST coach, which is higher then position coach.

I think Dennison has a bright future in the league, but I don't know that it's here in Denver. Dennison came up under the West Coast Offense and that's been shown the door here, so Dennison probably isn't far behind.

Dennison will head to Houston if Kyle Shanahan joins his father as his OC

Turner could have bolted for a better paying job or promotion years ago, so I don't think money will make that happen.

There is big difference from his offers in the past, and now. Before he didn't have his boss of 10 years calling and potential offering him more money then making now.

Florida_Bronco
12-18-2009, 05:01 PM
No really, Dennison was hot track because he was showing more. Remember he was the ST coach, which is higher then position coach. We don't know that. As I said, there is the rumor that Turner didn't want the OC job. I have no idea if that rumor is true or not.

Dennison will head to Houston if Kyle Shanahan joins his father as his OC

How can you state this like it's fact? ???

There is big difference from his offers in the past, and now. Before he didn't have his boss of 10 years calling and potential offering him more money then making now. I don't see much difference. Sure, there is that chance he has more loyalty to Shanahan than the Broncos, but there is no evidence to support that.

Bob's your Information Minister
12-18-2009, 05:49 PM
Shanny is going to the Chiefs, I heard that on some internet rag called WPI.

Ha!

**** yourself.

The biggest urban legend to come out of last offseason is that WPI reported Shanahan was going to the Chiefs.

bronco militia
12-18-2009, 06:23 PM
"the deal is done!!"

Natedog24
12-18-2009, 06:28 PM
**** yourself.

The biggest urban legend to come out of last offseason is that WPI reported Shanahan was going to the Chiefs.

"The Deal is Done!"

2KBack
12-18-2009, 06:36 PM
What a humiliating rule. Being forced to bring in and interview a guy who you have no intention of giving the job too. All based on nothing more than the color of his skin.

I find it hard to think of a more belittling, embarassing way to spend an interview.

I rarely agree with you, but on this I do. What good is that rule really? I appreciate the intent of it, but it is too easy to circumnavigate, and in many ways is even more insulting.

DenverBrit
12-18-2009, 07:12 PM
"the deal is done!!"

Ha!

“Feel free to quote me by name,” Whitlock said, “belittling you for even responding to that assclown’s e-mail. He’s the guy who sent NFL Network an e-mail saying the Chiefs’ deal for Shanahan was DONE and that Schefter was wrong. Athan is an assclown.”

http://fansided.com/2009/02/04/whitlock-starts-tiff-with-wpis-athan-on-pft/

uplink
12-18-2009, 07:34 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/12/18/shanahan-is-definitely-in-play-for-the-redskins/

<cite>JaggedMark (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/12/18/shanahan-is-definitely-in-play-for-the-redskins/) says:</cite> <small>December 18, 2009 9:01 PM (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/12/18/shanahan-is-definitely-in-play-for-the-redskins/#comment-859232) </small> Chris Mortenson told Randy Galloway of the Dallas Star Tribune & espn 103.3 Thursday that he would be willing to bet a very large amount of money that Shanahan coaches the Redskins next year. He said he's 100% sure of it.
So there you go

Circle Orange
12-18-2009, 07:44 PM
Shanahan was mad with power in Denver, and he'll be mad with power in DC. Does anyone with a lick of sense believe he'll put up with Snyder interfering?

Shanahan Coach Si
Shanahan GM/Head of Football Operations No

Although I'm partial to "Chucky." I think he'd be more a fit here, with his manic, type A personality. Instead of Portis putting on costumes, we'll have Chucky making crazy faces. ;D

Archer81
12-18-2009, 09:08 PM
Shanahan would be a good fit in Washington. He already has the defense established. He has a 2 time probowl TE, and a good stable of running backs. Campbell is also a very solid pro, and would do well under Shanahan...I mean if he can turn Griese and Plummer into probowlers...Campbell should be fine.

:Broncos:

Kid A
12-18-2009, 09:12 PM
Does this mean they finally shed their controversial nickname and change to the Washington Orangeskins?

http://cdn.bleacherreport.com/images_root/slideshows/921/slideshow_92144/display_image.jpg

Archer81
12-18-2009, 09:15 PM
Does this mean they finally shed their controversial nickname and change to the Washington Orangeskins?

http://cdn.bleacherreport.com/images_root/slideshows/921/slideshow_92144/display_image.jpg

Oompa Loompa lobby is powerful my friend. You do not want a million pissed off magical orange midgets coming at you.

2KBack
12-18-2009, 10:14 PM
Shanahan would be a good fit in Washington. He already has the defense established. He has a 2 time probowl TE, and a good stable of running backs. Campbell is also a very solid pro, and would do well under Shanahan...I mean if he can turn Griese and Plummer into probowlers...Campbell should be fine.

I agree, but I do think Shanahan has a limited window with his style. Unless he's turned over a new leaf, the defense will deteriorate during his tenure, especially if he is bringing slowik with him.

Broncos_OTM
12-19-2009, 01:00 AM
Oh, and as a Bronco fan and Mike Shanahan fan, the Washington Redskins would be the perfect fit. Not the AFC W. Not in the AFC altogether. In the AFC East where we wouldn't have to play him for another four years!

He would have to rebuild that offense. But the defense is in pretty good shape which should be another attraction for Shanny.

He'll have a bottomless pocketbook for FA which means he could very well bring Brandon Marshall to Washington and give up the draft pick.

I think Jason Campbell is Shanny's type of QB. Strong armed and mobile, I think Shanny could do wonders with that guy.

The OL is pretty bad but he'd install the ZBS and most likely be able to find a lot of guys that fit perfectly with what he'd like to do. Most likely a guy like Chris Kuper who I think we will release this year rather than pay and retain.There was a rumor flying around this season that shanny was gonna cut bmarsh or trade him. I dont know how much stock to put in it. but...The skins fan at work is really hoping that they bring him in... Shanny i mean.

Florida_Bronco
12-19-2009, 01:38 AM
There was a rumor flying around this season that shanny was gonna cut bmarsh or trade him. I dont know how much stock to put in it. but...The skins fan at work is really hoping that they bring him in... Shanny i mean.

Well for what it's worth Mediator said the rumor was true and had told other posters about it quite some time before the rumor was made public.

watermock
12-19-2009, 02:29 AM
Given that BM will be an all-pro this year, I don't find it surprising Med hasn't shown his face.

BTW, I don't think Shanny is going to wash either.

He's going to Dallas in an uncapped year.

plummershelper
12-19-2009, 05:00 AM
Shanny won't go to Washington....more likely to Dallas.

He likes taking over from Wade.

I think you're right. I think he's using Washington to force Jerry Jones' hand and fire Wade / pony up the dough and responsibility. It's a typical Shanny smokescreen.

Kaylore
12-19-2009, 07:39 AM
All I'm going to say is that if Shanahan brings Slowik with him and makes him anything more than a defensive backs coach, he'll no longer be considered a HOF coach. Slowik will ruin him.

TonyR
12-19-2009, 08:16 AM
Given that BM will be an all-pro this year, I don't find it surprising Med hasn't shown his face.

What does BM playing well have to do with a rumor that Shanahan was going to dump him? How are they related in any way that would cause Med to not show his face here?

Paladin
12-19-2009, 08:23 AM

...:clown:

Pony Boy
12-19-2009, 09:54 AM
The Circus goes to Washington, can't think of a better place....

azbroncfan
12-19-2009, 12:53 PM

Shanny's ego can't work with Jones in Dallas. Why wouldn't he go to Washington? One of the best franchise's in the history of the NFL, owner that isn't afraid to spend money and he probably would get a lot more control that he would get in Dallas playing second fiddle to Jerry.

Durango
12-19-2009, 03:38 PM
I'm with the people that feel this Washington franchise is a coaching graveyard. I'm very surprised Shanahan would seriously consider this, assuming he is. Remember Chris Mortenson told everybody the Shanahan to Kansas City deal was all but a done deal. I'll believe this Shanahan-Washington thing only when I see it go down.

NFLBRONCO
12-19-2009, 03:56 PM
Other then upping the price why would a guy #1 on everybody's list settle on a job before he see's all job openings. Unless he gets a real real sweet offer so I don't buy it.

TonyR
12-19-2009, 04:08 PM
...why would a guy #1 on everybody's list settle on a job before he see's all job openings.

I understand that logic, but thinking about it what "better" job is going to open up? Norv's not likely going anywhere. Lovie's not likely going anywhere, and even if he does is that a better job? If the Dallas job opens up you could make an argument that's a better job except for the fact that you have to deal with Jerry Jones. Jacksonville? Washington is a higher status job and Snyder is likely to pay a lot more. Tampa? Mess. Cleveland? Mess. Am I missing any? The more I think about it the more sense Washington makes.