PDA

View Full Version : Marshall- a class act

lvwireman
12-15-2009, 06:19 PM
Just saw the NFL replay of Sunday's game, and I was extremely impressed by Marshall. Hunting down a particular fan to give his touchdown ball was a nice touch, and his comment about fan support shows that he learned a lot during the off/preseason. Where he really showed class, though,was in taking responsibility for the pick near the end zone, saying that he should have a stat for picks, since that one was on him.

oubronco
12-15-2009, 06:20 PM
the lady was creaming her jeans when he gave her his ball

Florida_Bronco
12-15-2009, 06:23 PM
That's what we like to see from Brandon.

Bronx33
12-15-2009, 06:24 PM
Credit rod smith...and that pick was all orton fault but brandon taking some of the blame is classy ( thats what real teamates do).

WABronco
12-15-2009, 06:25 PM
From that act right there, I think he showed he's worth 50 million.

loborugger
12-15-2009, 07:12 PM

Ya, it was nice to see the kid interact publicly with a woman in a way that didnt involve the cops showing up and domestic charges being filed. One hopes that he has got that stuff figured out.

Popps
12-15-2009, 07:23 PM
It was a cool gesture. Woman was overwhelmed... sort of funny.

Think about it, though... pretty cool souvenir. A ball from a receiver on the day he set the all-time game receptions mark.

uplink
12-15-2009, 09:14 PM
I heard BMarsh is the guardian for a young cousin of his
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

BroncoDoug
12-15-2009, 09:38 PM
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

yeah, he plays for Mullen if I remember right, they just won the state championship

BigPlayShay
12-15-2009, 09:38 PM

Yep, he plays for Dave Logan at Mullen High School. Rayshon Williams:

http://preps.denverpost.com/home.html?site=default&tpl=Player&ID=20101

http://www.denverpost.com/commented/ci_13871084?source=commented-

Anaximines
12-15-2009, 09:44 PM

For sure, funny way of you to put it though

hookemhess
12-15-2009, 09:47 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/13d_rSl7Q8s&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/13d_rSl7Q8s&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

GoHAM
12-15-2009, 09:54 PM
I just can't help but like BMarsh. He seems like a good kid at heart who doesn't have the proper coping skills for situations where he is super pissed off. That doesn't excuse his behavior problems, but I certainly don't think he is anywhere near the level of say a Lawrence Phillips. Let's all not forget that the archangel Rod Smith has a domestic on his record. **** happens, hopefully for Brandon he will refrain from showing a b**** his strong pimp hand and keep his soccer kicks to a minimum when bantering with his fiance. Yet if I'm writing the multi-million dollar bonus checks, no way can I just hand him $20 mill w/out covering my ass, should BMarsh decide to go all Righteous Pimp on his next date night.

C'mon Brandon show some common sense when dealing with the fairer sex and fast food bags! We're (mostly) all pulling for you!

BroncoDoug
12-15-2009, 09:55 PM
It really looks like he has gotten his act together from that Training camp incident. Good for him, and good for the team, he is earning his new big paycheck the right way, they way he should have done it the whole time.

BroncoMan4ever
12-15-2009, 11:05 PM
the reasoning behind not having given the guy a new contract has always been maturity and whether he would continue on his legal problems.

the legal problems are gone, and he has taken a huge step forward as an adult.

Rod Smith worked some magic there, and if Bowlen and the rest of the FO aren't already discussing the possibility of giving him a new mega deal, they need their heads examined.

Popps
12-15-2009, 11:08 PM
I think if he makes it through the season playing like this, and behaving like this... you lock him up, no question. There's risk... but he appears to have turned a corner.

A game like that against Indy was huge. That was a marquee game, and he played like a star should play in a marquee game.

(Orton probably deserves a wee bit of credit, too.)

Los Broncos
12-15-2009, 11:13 PM
I was pretty proud of Marshall, he handled himself pretty well.

BroncoMan4ever
12-16-2009, 12:22 AM
I think if he makes it through the season playing like this, and behaving like this... you lock him up, no question. There's risk... but he appears to have turned a corner.

A game like that against Indy was huge. That was a marquee game, and he played like a star should play in a marquee game.

i think we need to start preliminary talks with him now, because seriously, if he hits the open market or all we do is tender him we will lose him. teams will bend over backwards to bring in a guy who has the ability to at any time completely take over a game and be undoubtedly the best receiver in the game.

Popps
12-16-2009, 12:26 AM
i think we need to start preliminary talks with him now, because seriously, if he hits the open market or all we do is tender him we will lose him. teams will bend over backwards to bring in a guy who has the ability to at any time completely take over a game and be undoubtedly the best receiver in the game.

Yea, it's tough because we need him to stay. I want him to stay, I just worry that his camp will be looking for Fitzgerald money. Right now, he's a top 10 receiver. He still does carry a bit of baggage from his past. It's just going to depend on what he asks for. If he finishes the season like this, he deserves big money. I'm just not sure how big in relation to the top WRs in the league.

I hate getting caught up in the $ conversation, anyway. I just hope he stays clean and stays a productive Bronco.

We've got quite a few people to lock up, and a big free agent crop out there next year. Tough decisions coming.

Taco John
12-16-2009, 01:01 AM
Yea, it's tough because we need him to stay. I want him to stay, I just worry that his camp will be looking for Fitzgerald money.

Don't worry. He's not going to want Fitzgerald money.

He's going to want Marshall money.

Premier-Ace55
12-16-2009, 02:58 AM
I have a bad feeling broncos aren't going to keep marshall. If they don't i'm protesting spending any money this next season on broncos stuff. I'll still support them and watch their my team. But if they can't pay a player who has the potential to be a hall of fame player I'm not sure I can pay for the product that they will put out on the field next year.

Hogan11
12-16-2009, 06:12 AM

I agree totally, he seems to finally left all the bullshat behind.

I was hesitant at first, but now I'm in the camp of trying to lock him up now before he hits the open market. I'm also agree with those who are getting the feeling that if they don't get talks going or get the RFA status on him, then kiss him goodbye and that at this point would be tragic.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
12-16-2009, 06:15 AM

From what I heard, he sent the kid back to his hometown (Detroit maybe? Philly?) last summer because he didn't have the right attitude.

It does appear that Marshall is starting to grow up a bit.

bowtown
12-16-2009, 06:40 AM
Don't worry. He's not going to want Fitzgerald money.

He's going to want Marshall money.

Yep. He's going to command a whole new level of compensation. And, in the end, he probably deserves it. I'm not sure that he isn't the best WR in football right now.

55CrushEm
12-16-2009, 06:43 AM
Just saw the NFL replay of Sunday's game, and I was extremely impressed by Marshall. Hunting down a particular fan to give his touchdown ball was a nice touch, and his comment about fan support shows that he learned a lot during the off/preseason. Where he really showed class, though,was in taking responsibility for the pick near the end zone, saying that he should have a stat for picks, since that one was on him.

I totally disagree that the pick was on Brandon....that one was totally on Orton. Orton needed to throw that ball to the back of the endzone, and Marshall would have had it, as he had a step on the defender. Instead, Orton threw the ball to the front of the endzone, and Marshall couldn't get back to it. Basically the ball was badly underthrown by about 6-8 yards.

It was one of the few bad passes that Orton made, in an otherwise pretty good performance.

colonelbeef
12-16-2009, 09:13 AM
Marshall, much like Cutler, isn't a bad guy, just needs to do some growing up. People are overly reactionary when it comes to these stories

Taco John
12-16-2009, 09:43 AM
Can you imagine where this offense/team would be right now without Marshall's presence on the team? I shudder to think about what the Colts game would have looked like if Marshall wasn't in there.

Popps
12-16-2009, 09:46 AM
Can you imagine where this offense/team would be right now without Marshall's presence on the team? I shudder to think about what the Colts game would have looked like if Marshall wasn't in there.

Well, and again... to have a huge day like that against the best competition is why he does deserve to get paid. How much? Who knows.

gyldenlove
12-16-2009, 09:50 AM
Well, and again... to have a huge day like that against the best competition is why he does deserve to get paid. How much? Who knows.

There is no doubt Marshall is a special player in this league, if he can keep up his in-season behaviour in the off-season he is due a very very large payday and with the obvious bond he has with Mcdaniels he will get it.

Beantown Bronco
12-16-2009, 10:02 AM
Ya, it was nice to see the kid interact publicly with a woman in a way that didnt involve the cops showing up and domestic charges being filed. One hopes that he has got that stuff figured out.

Are you kidding me?!? I thought it was pretty obvious that he threw that ball at her with the sole intent of hitting her in the face and breaking her nose. And I'm sure she would've deserved it.

Only problem is, he's about as accurate throwing a ball as Orton.

Inkana7
12-16-2009, 10:05 AM
I totally disagree that the pick was on Brandon....that one was totally on Orton. Orton needed to throw that ball to the back of the endzone, and Marshall would have had it, as he had a step on the defender. Instead, Orton threw the ball to the front of the endzone, and Marshall couldn't get back to it. Basically the ball was badly underthrown by about 6-8 yards.

It was one of the few bad passes that Orton made, in an otherwise pretty good performance.

You don't know what the play was or what Marshall and Orton were trying to do with it.

bowtown
12-16-2009, 10:34 AM
Are you kidding me?!? I thought it was pretty obvious that he threw that ball at her with the sole intent of hitting her in the face and breaking her nose. And I'm sure she would've deserved it.

Only problem is, he's about as accurate throwing a ball as Orton.

Hillis would have hit her in stride.

Taco John
12-16-2009, 10:38 AM

Marshall's agent knows.

The kid is going to get paid Marshall money. It's going to be at least Fitzgerald money, and probably more. The Indianapolis game established him as an unprecedented threat. And after this last offseason, there's probably little chance that Marshall is going to want to cut us the "hometown" deal.

My worst nightmare involves the Broncos short changing the guy, and watching him end up in San Diego. It's starting to look like it was a mistake not to sign him this past offseason, and lock him up for 6 years. It's going to be a lot more expensive to sign him this offseason than it would have been last offseason.

bowtown
12-16-2009, 10:44 AM
Marshall's agent knows.

The kid is going to get paid Marshall money. It's going to be at least Fitzgerald money, and probably more. The Indianapolis game established him as an unprecedented threat. And after this last offseason, there's probably little chance that Marshall is going to want to cut us the "hometown" deal.

My worst nightmare involves the Broncos short changing the guy, and watching him end up in San Diego. It's starting to look like it was a mistake not to sign him this past offseason, and lock him up for 6 years. It's going to be a lot more expensive to sign him this offseason than it would have been last offseason.

The Marshall contract situation is going to very telling as to whether this FO actually knows what it's doing. The wrong move could turn very ugly, very fast.

Beantown Bronco
12-16-2009, 10:45 AM
It's going to be at least Fitzgerald money, and probably more. The Indianapolis game established him as an unprecedented threat.

Unprecedented? That's a tad strong IMO. What did he really do this past week that Fitzgerald or Boldin (not to mention Andre Johnson, Calvin Johnson, and a few others.....hell even Wes Welker) couldn't do?

Just a week ago, Roddy White caught 19 passes and nobody outside Atlanta and fantasy owners noticed.

worm
12-16-2009, 10:53 AM
Unprecedented? That's a tad strong IMO. What did he really do this past week that Fitzgerald or Boldin (not to mention Andre Johnson, Calvin Johnson, and a few others.....hell even Wes Welker) couldn't do?

Just a week ago, Roddy White caught 19 passes and nobody outside Atlanta and fantasy owners noticed.

Catching 21 passes in a game is the very definition of unprecedented...unless you think it has happened before?

BroncoMan4ever
12-16-2009, 11:01 AM

if i recall 21 is the NEW NFL RECORD.

Marshall had a game that has never been seen before iin the NFL. i'm not saying those guys don't have the talent to possibly accomplish that feat, but none of them have.

Jerry Rice the greatest receiver ever didn't even hit 20 in a single game.

believe what you want about how it isn't that special, but 21 in a game is a monster accomplishment, especially when you figure in that he had 18 in a game last season.

he has a talent that can just take over games completely and at any moment be the best receiver in the league.

55CrushEm
12-16-2009, 11:06 AM
You don't know what the play was or what Marshall and Orton were trying to do with it.

No ****.....I can only guess by what I saw. And what I saw was Marshall having the defender beat toward headed toward the back of the endzone......but Orton threw it right at the front end of the endzone...and Marshall had to stop himself and try to come back to the ball. But it looked to me like he wasn't expecting that....i.e. it wasn't a "normal comeback" route. To me, it looked like a pass that was horribly underthrown.

Like I said, other than that, and a couple of other passes.....Orton had a great day.

Beantown Bronco
12-16-2009, 11:10 AM
Catching 21 passes in a game is the very definition of unprecedented...unless you think it has happened before?

if i recall 21 is the NEW NFL RECORD.

Marshall had a game that has never been seen before iin the NFL. i'm not saying those guys don't have the talent to possibly accomplish that feat, but none of them have.

Jerry Rice the greatest receiver ever didn't even hit 20 in a single game.

Yes, what he accomplished in that one game is unprecedented. But that's different from what Taco said. He said specifically that Marshall himself is an "unprecedented threat". Two TOTALLY different things here. He is not the biggest threat the game has ever seen at WR before and that's what unprecendented threat means.

jhns
12-16-2009, 11:20 AM
Yes, what he accomplished in that one game is unprecedented. But that's different from what Taco said. He said specifically that Marshall himself is an "unprecedented threat". Two TOTALLY different things here. He is not the biggest threat the game has ever seen at WR before and that's what unprecendented threat means.

He is well on his way. He has the first and third most catches in a single game. if he hits 100 catches this year, he will be the 5th player in history to have 3 consecutive 100 catch seasons and that is in his 4th year and 3rd year starting. If he can stay healthy for 10 more years and not punch many more women, he will be one of the best ever. I get that isn't exactly what was said, but it is close.

jhns
12-16-2009, 11:25 AM

If this is true, change what I said about Marshall. He would have the most and 4th most catches in a game. Did this really happen though? I didn't hear about it and when they hyped Marshalls catches during the game, they showed it was his 21, TOs 20, then Marshall tied with someone else at 18 for the top 4 most catches in a game.

Taco John
12-16-2009, 11:28 AM

21 catches in a game is unprecedented by definition. It's a word that I'd use regularly in conversations if I were his agent.

BigPlayShay
12-16-2009, 11:30 AM

Um, no he didn't. Do you mean 9? He caught 9 balls against Philly.

http://www.nfl.com/players/roddywhite/gamelogs?id=WHI472686

Brandon has 2 of the top 5 single game reception records. That is what I would call unprecedented.

Rabb
12-16-2009, 11:31 AM
the way he makes people miss and just bullies secondarys....I would say his talent is unprecedented for a WR also

Beantown Bronco
12-16-2009, 11:41 AM
Um, no he didn't. Do you mean 9? He caught 9 balls against Philly.

Brandon has 2 of the top 5 single game reception records. That is what I would call unprecedented.

doh, you're right. I blew that one everyone. Got in a separate debate about him with one of my buddies last week and it was 19 targets in a game, not receptions.

Back to the discussion.....My biggest thing right now is the change in tune. In the offseason, we had at least one thread (probably 10) going about Marshall's ranking in relation to the other WRs in the league. Nothing off the field was involved in the ranking. It was solely on the field accomplishments and talent. Marshall in most rankings didn't even crack the top 5 among the majority of OManers, and in those that he did, I don't remember anyone putting him above #3. Now, all of a sudden, after another year similar to last, but with a few more TDs, he's all of a sudden "an unprecedented threat" at his position?

I just don't see it. For my money, to be an unprecedented threat means you have to not only be the best of your era, but you have to be the best of all eras. He's not even the best current WR in the league IMO....and you all agreed just a few months ago.

If all we're doing is taking into account receptions here, which is all I'm seeing, then sure, an argument can be made (though Wes Welker would probably still get the nod). IMO, though, any somewhat talented WR that gets targeted 30 times in a game should have 21 receptions.

I'd like to see more TDs before I hop on the unprecedented bandwagon. He's never been close to the league leaders in TDs, regardless of who's throwing him the ball.

Taco John
12-16-2009, 11:44 AM
doh, you're right. I blew that one everyone. Got in a separate debate about him with one of my buddies last week and it was 19 targets in a game, not receptions.

Back to the discussion.....My biggest thing right now is the change in tune. In the offseason, we had at least one thread (probably 10) going about Marshall's ranking in relation to the other WRs in the league. Nothing off the field was involved in the ranking. It was solely on the field accomplishments and talent. Marshall in most rankings didn't even crack the top 5 among the majority of OManers, and in those that he did, I don't remember anyone putting him above #3. Now, all of a sudden, after another year similar to last, but with a few more TDs, he's all of a sudden "an unprecedented threat" at his position?

I just don't see it. For my money, to be an unprecedented threat means you have to not only be the best of your era, but you have to be the best of all eras. He's not even the best current WR in the league IMO....and you all agreed just a few months ago.

If all we're doing is taking into account receptions here, which is all I'm seeing, then sure, an argument can be made (though Wes Welker would probably still get the nod). IMO, though, any somewhat talented WR that gets targeted 30 times in a game should have 21 receptions.

I'd like to see more TDs before I hop on the unprecedented bandwagon. He's never been close to the league leaders in TDs, regardless of who's throwing him the ball.

Would you agree that Marshall has "carried this offense" this season?

Beantown Bronco
12-16-2009, 11:47 AM
Would you agree that Marshall has "carried this offense" this season?

In several games, most definitely. At least two of our wins would be losses without him.

lvwireman
12-16-2009, 04:25 PM

And I agree, that's why Marshall's comment (and it was his, not mine) is all the more impressive.

Br0nc0Buster
12-16-2009, 04:35 PM
Brandon is a great player, but he isnt in the same league as the Andre Johnsons and Larry Fitzgeralds yet

He should get top 5 money, but it would be a stretch if he were to ask to be the highest paid receiver in the league

Broncos4tw
12-16-2009, 08:26 PM

Well, actually, if he had a franchise QB tossing the ball to him, he could well be an unprecedented threat. Can you imagine Elway tossing the ball to him? Man...

BroncoMan4ever
12-17-2009, 12:02 AM

Marshall is a completely unprecedented threat at the WR position. his combination of size, strength, agility, hands, ability to completely take over games is unprecedented(Orton completed 28 passes against Indy and Marshall had 21 of those catches they knew all day long we were going to keep feeding him the ball and there was nothing they could do about it.)

add in the fact that he had a game almost as good last season and it is unprecedented.

think about it like this. he is playing like the best receiver in the game right now, and he has yet to hit his peak. there is almost no limit to how good he can become.

if our FO lets him walk, it will cause an uproar that will make the Cutler situation seem like a fart in a hurricane.

Br0nc0Buster
12-17-2009, 12:11 AM
Marshall is a completely unprecedented threat at the WR position. his combination of size, strength, agility, hands, ability to completely take over games is unprecedented(Orton completed 28 passes against Indy and Marshall had 21 of those catches they knew all day long we were going to keep feeding him the ball and there was nothing they could do about it.)

add in the fact that he had a game almost as good last season and it is unprecedented.

think about it like this. he is playing like the best receiver in the game right now, and he has yet to hit his peak. there is almost no limit to how good he can become.

if our FO lets him walk, it will cause an uproar that will make the Cutler situation seem like a fart in a hurricane.

I disagree about Marshalls talent
I dont think he is as talented as Fitz or Andre Johnson
Marshall is a beast, but so far he has yet to prove to be the deep threat like these guys are

But Marshall is a much better player than Jay Cutler, so I do agree that if he were to leave it would be chaos

BroncoBuff
12-17-2009, 12:53 AM
Agree completelly ... there's nothing defenses can do about it. His body makes full coverage impossible for the mere mortal cornerback. Terrence Newman is an above-average cornerback, and that touchdown really yanked his drawers. I'll never forget that play.

BroncoBuff
12-17-2009, 12:55 AM
Anybody remember a few years ago when Mike Tice instituted the Randy Moss Rule? I think he ordered 40% of the Vikings plays to Moss. We should probably have a similar rule now.

Beantown Bronco
12-17-2009, 04:03 AM
Marshall is a completely unprecedented threat at the WR position. his combination of size, strength, agility, hands,

Size, strength and agility? Wayne, the Johnsons, Fitz, Boldin.....

And hands? Really? He's not Dwayne Bowe, but let's be fair here. He's been better this year, but he's had quite a few drops and fumbles in his career.

I notice you left off speed. There's a reason for that. He admitted in the offseason he's nowhere near Fitz (not to mention most other top WRs) in this area. Speed obviously isn't everything (just ask the Faid), but if all other things are equal, speed can easily put someone over the top.

Don't get me wrong, I don't intend to sound like I'm completely negative about him. I love what the guy brings to the table and I do think he's playing like a top 5 receiver right now. I just don't think he's the clear cut #1 WR in the league. There's definitely room for debate here.

(Orton completed 28 passes against Indy and Marshall had 21 of those catches they knew all day long we were going to keep feeding him the ball and there was nothing they could do about it.)

Actually, they could've done something about it but to me it appeared they were going to concede those short catches all day long, given that they were up by 21 early. They kept playing very soft off coverage and the Broncos kept exploiting it. All they had to do was get in his face off the line and have a safety over the top and Orton would've looked the other way.

watermock
12-17-2009, 04:47 AM
Size, strength and agility? Wayne, the Johnsons, Fitz, Boldin.....

Don't get me wrong, I don't intend to sound like I'm completely negative about him. I love what the guy brings to the table and I do think he's playing like a top 5 receiver right now. I just don't think he's the clear cut #1 WR in the league. There's definitely room for debate here.

Actually, they could've done something about it but to me it appeared they were going to concede those short catches all day long, given that they were up by 21 early. They kept playing very soft off coverage and the Broncos kept exploiting it. All they had to do was get in his face off the line and have a safety over the top and Orton would've looked the other way.
Jesus, like we almost won the game.

watermock
12-17-2009, 04:53 AM
Everybody thinks we got in 10 points...

Indy was toying with a mouse.

We couldn't win with 3 picks.

Get real.

Our offense sucks.

Despite BM.

watermock
12-17-2009, 04:55 AM
We get 200 yards from our