PDA

View Full Version : If we were to take a QB in the first rd, who would you want?

lex
12-15-2009, 12:52 PM
Lets set homerism aside, here. I know thats asking the impossible but, nevertheless. I really dont want to take a QB in the 1st, but Im curious to know where the board stands IF we do.

2KBack
12-15-2009, 12:54 PM
This message is hidden because lex is on your ignore list (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/profile.php?do=ignorelist).

SoDak Bronco
12-15-2009, 12:55 PM
Ideally we could trade back from #8 spot and grab Sam Bradford at 20-25 range, and still have ammo to grab a solid OG/ILB/Best Player available with the extra picks we get.

Crushaholic
12-15-2009, 12:58 PM
If Bradford is healthy, then I wouldn't mind having him back up Orton...

ColoradoBuff
12-15-2009, 12:59 PM
Clausen. Bradford's shoulder is gonna be a big question.

JCMElway
12-15-2009, 01:03 PM
That being said, no way do I want a QB in the first. We will have some great prospects available in rounds 3 - 6. McCoy in the third would be great.

I just wish I knew exactly what McD thought of Brandstater.

lex
Clausen. Bradford's shoulder is gonna be a big question.

You dont think he's a punk?

OBF1
I voted other.... as in NO QB 1st round

crowebomber
12-15-2009, 01:10 PM

This.

Not only is it a total crapshoot with this position in the first round for some reason, but I think McD thinks he has a knack for finding qbs that other's don't. Whether that is true, I don't know, but I'm thinking that his arrogance when it comes to the QB position will keep him from taking a hyped 1st round qb.

bowtown
12-15-2009, 01:11 PM
I wouldn't be against taking a shot on Tebow in the 7th as a project TE or special teams player.

RhymesayersDU
12-15-2009, 01:12 PM
Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos.

lex
12-15-2009, 01:14 PM
This.

Not only is it a total crapshoot with this position in the first round for some reason, but I think McD thinks he has a knack for finding qbs that other's don't. Whether that is true, I don't know, but I'm thinking that his arrogance when it comes to the QB position will keep him from taking a hyped 1st round qb.

Yeah, I dont either but that wasnt the question. Maybe you should reread the question more than once to digest the premise.

SonOfLe-loLang
12-15-2009, 01:16 PM

Clausen has skills. He's grown up, most kids are assholes when they are 18

Bronco Boy
Why would we take a QB in the 1st round?

ColoradoDarin
This message is hidden because lex is on your ignore list (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/profile.php?do=ignorelist).

Ditto.

lex
12-15-2009, 01:19 PM
Clausen has skills. He's grown up, most kids are a-holes when they are 18

Has he? Was he not jawjacking with Harbaugh in their last game? Hasnt he recently received two black eyes?

lex
12-15-2009, 01:20 PM
Why would we take a QB in the 1st round?

The theory would be that QB is a premium position and that this is a good draft for QBs.

broncocalijohn
12-15-2009, 01:22 PM
I said TOny Pike even though I have seen maybe parts of 3 games. I want to be different so I can say I told you so. Tebow doesnt seem to be a QB in the NFL for the Broncos system. Clausen can be a good QB, but I have question marks with him. I think Bradford can be a NFL QB starting in a few years. I prefer we dont take a QB and take a need or trade down. Exciting Cutler is still giving to the Broncos with a Top 10 pick! Amazing we didnt have to suck like the Raiders and Chiefs to do it also!

Br0nc0Buster
12-15-2009, 01:26 PM
IF we take a qb I rank them in this order of preference:
Bradford
Clausen
Mallet
Snead

I dont think we will draft a qb though

RaiderH8r
12-15-2009, 01:33 PM
Jake Locker. Since he's staying a UW it makes this an easy pick.

Bradford is the tin man
Clausen is a ****ing retard with an attitude and has the loser's stink on him
Mallet is palatable but not the guy
Snead is as consistant is like my great granny's dump sessions; irregular and when they stink they wreak of a killer stench that will linger and make all who come into contact with it stink for some time afterwards. Stay away!
Tebow is a douchebag with a noodle arm. He gets more hang time on his tosses than Berger on his punts.
Pike is 1st team all Charmin, super soft and pretty expensive for picking up ****.

Brandstater ladies, Brandstater eats rocks and craps gunpowder.

outdoor_miner
12-15-2009, 01:33 PM
I really don't think McDaniels will take a QB in the first. It just goes against everything he seems to believe about the QB position. With that being said, Bradford would be my choice in the first.

It will be very interesting to see what he does about the QB position this offseason... Will Orton get a decent mid to long-term contract (indicating he's our guy for the foreseeable future), or will he maybe get an RFA tender (indicating that he's a stop-gap)? Will he draft a guy in the 2nd/3rd/4th that maybe projects as a starter in the future? Will he draft a guy in the 5th/6th/7th, indicating that Brandstater is his guy in the future? I'll be really curious, as I can't get a read on whether McDaniels is satisfied with Orton's progression this season or not...

Warlord
12-15-2009, 01:38 PM

FWIW - I keep coming across various sources in the draftnik community that point to a potential draft day slide due to Clausen's personality/attitude... much of which relates to how he was brought up and thus will be a challenge to adjust.

This may be a more important factor than people realize at this point. Of course, it only takes one team willing to overlook those kinds of issues for him to go in the top 5. It will be interesting to see how it plays out.

/re-engage lurk mode

Irish Stout
12-15-2009, 01:42 PM
Draft Irish McStout - he rocks at the footballing and can throw footballs from the same distance Charlie Weis can smell a turkey and camembert sandwich.

yerner
12-15-2009, 01:43 PM
mallet

s0phr0syne
12-15-2009, 01:47 PM
One thing to worry about with Tebow is how emotional he gets about the game. People often point to that as being his strength, and they'll rattle off some mumbo-jumbo about how iconic he is, and how he's a great leader, yadda yadda.

Maybe that stuff is true, and maybe he'll do all that. But, a lot of QBs of his caliber through high school and then in college at a big program like that have not dealt with losing. It falls back to that whole "how will he deal with adversity?" issue, and so far he's made a rambling diatribe (which he backed up by winning the NC) and cried on camera. You can call that passion and commitment if you want, but I'd call it overly emotional and potentially reckless. I don't think we're in danger of drafting him, but if the legend of Tim Tebow launches him up the draft board and he lands on a piss-poor team, I'd start worrying about him having a mental breakdown when it takes a while for him to learn how to win in the NFL.

lex
12-15-2009, 01:47 PM
FWIW - I keep coming across various sources in the draftnik community that point to a potential draft day slide due to Clausen's personality/attitude... much of which relates to how he was brought up and thus will be a challenge to adjust.

This may be a more important factor than people realize at this point. Of course, it only takes one team willing to overlook those kinds of issues for him to go in the top 5. It will be interesting to see how it plays out.

/re-engage lurk mode

Another aspect to this would be where Weis will wind up. If Wies ends up as the OC of a team picking in the top 10, it would be interesting to see if Clausen becomes an automatic to go in the top 10.

Pony Boy
12-15-2009, 01:52 PM
I wouldn't be against taking a shot on Tebow in the 7th as a project TE or special teams player.

Tebow will go to Jacksonville before the 7th, he will be a big step in curing their season ticket sales problem.

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/sports_college_uf/2009/09/jacksonville-jaguars-owner-wayne-weaver-wants-tim-tebow.html

oubronco
12-15-2009, 02:04 PM
Tebow will go to Jacksonville before the 7th, he will be a big step in curing their season ticket sales problem.

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/sports_college_uf/2009/09/jacksonville-jaguars-owner-wayne-weaver-wants-tim-tebow.html

Teblow is Mark Brunell without the talent

Bronco LB52
12-15-2009, 02:14 PM
None of the QBs mentioned above are worth the investment of a first round pick. I would rather sign Orton to a short-term deal and wait for the 2011 class of Jake Locker, Ryan Mallett, Andrew Luck, Robert Griffin III, etc.

s0phr0syne
12-15-2009, 02:20 PM
None of the QBs mentioned above are worth the investment of a first round pick. I would rather sign Orton to a short-term deal and wait for the 2011 class of Jake Locker, Ryan Mallett, Andrew Luck, Robert Griffin III, etc.

RG3??? seriously? In the NFL? As a starting QB?

NFLBRONCO
12-15-2009, 02:22 PM
Has NE ever drafted a QB in round 1 recently? No
Has NE ever drafted a WR in round 1 recently? No 2nd round yes
Has NE ever drafted a RB in round 1 recently? Yes and we did right away
So if you go by this formula D is highly likely DL LB S in round 1
I could see us trading down for G/C in round 1 as well

supermanhr9
12-15-2009, 02:23 PM
I chose Clausen only because he's from Notre Dame. I'm a fan what can I say.

NFLBRONCO
12-15-2009, 02:29 PM
Bradford being fragile scares me

Popps
12-15-2009, 02:31 PM
ESPN College Football Live on right now... discussing best QBs in college right now. Just starting.

Crushaholic
12-15-2009, 02:31 PM

That's all true, but Lex just wants us to imagine what our good choices would be if they decided to take a quarterback in the first round (maybe to replace Chris Simms on the roster).

Bronco LB52
12-15-2009, 02:32 PM
RG3??? seriously? In the NFL? As a starting QB?

He has decent size (6-foot-3) and is a smart kid with a good arm. It's not like NFL teams have ignored running quarterbacks in the past. The talent and tools are there. He just needs to have a big 2010 to cement himself as a first day prospect.

Regardless, he's not the type of quarterback McDaniels would be likely interested in anyways.

misturanderson
12-15-2009, 02:35 PM
I want Pike, but not in the first round. I'm also not totally sure that I'd take him over Bradford, but his injury history doesn't directly relate to the most important joint in a QB's body like Bradford's.

The only QB on that list that would be worthy of a 1st round pick at this point is Clausen as far as I'm concerned. All of the other's have too many questions from durability to being able to play in a pro-style offense.

That being said, I'd rather pick one of the 2nd tier QBs in the 3rd round than any of them in the 1st. I also think that interior O-line is more improtant to address than QB.

The only QB that I really want no part of is Snead. That guy has Cutler 2.0 written all over him, but I get the feeling that he would throw even more picks than Cutler.

s0phr0syne
12-15-2009, 02:44 PM
I want Pike, but not in the first round. I'm also not totally sure that I'd take him over Bradford, but his injury history doesn't directly relate to the most important joint in a QB's body like Bradford's.

The only QB on that list that would be worthy of a 1st round pick at this point is Clausen as far as I'm concerned. All of the other's have too many questions from durability to being able to play in a pro-style offense.

That being said, I'd rather pick one of the 2nd tier QBs in the 3rd round than any of them in the 1st. I also think that interior O-line is more improtant to address than QB.

The only QB that I really want no part of is Snead. That guy has Cutler 2.0 written all over him, but I get the feeling that he would throw even more picks than Cutler.

I haven't watched all that much of Snead, but from what I've read/seen, he does seem a lot like Cutler stylistically. Does he have the same kind of mobility that Cutler has (as in, Cutler was at one point an option QB, right)?

DrFate
12-15-2009, 03:15 PM
don't blame me, i voted for kodos.

it's a two party system!

:)

elsid13
12-15-2009, 03:27 PM
I haven't watched all that much of Snead, but from what I've read/seen, he does seem a lot like Cutler stylistically. Does he have the same kind of mobility that Cutler has (as in, Cutler was at one point an option QB, right)?

no he not as mobile. He more in the line of Matt Stafford type player with far less accuracy.

Paladin
12-15-2009, 03:40 PM

Me too....

houghtam
12-15-2009, 03:41 PM
"Tony Pike: Similar to Bradford but maybe not as accurate...very smart...also fragile"

Guy misses 6 games in two years for breaking his non-throwing arm (both times), and he's fragile?

Crushisback
12-15-2009, 03:42 PM
Kyle Orton in the 8th round.

NYBronco
12-15-2009, 03:43 PM
IF we take a QB in the first round then I would say the Broncos take Bradford. He would fit in well behind Orton while learning the system and overcoming his injury. But, I really doubt the Broncos will take a QB in the first round.

Paladin
12-15-2009, 03:44 PM

In Los Angeles?

bombay
12-15-2009, 04:03 PM
Bradford then Mallet.

houghtam
12-15-2009, 04:10 PM
In Los Angeles?

Hilarious!

Finger Roll
12-15-2009, 04:11 PM
Colt McCoy. Trade back a few times to get him in late round 1 or early round 2. He fits the system well

Finger Roll
12-15-2009, 04:14 PM

That's because they have Tom Brady. Why the f would they draft a qb in round 1

BMarsh615
12-15-2009, 04:15 PM
I could never root for Jimmy Clausen. He has that Brady Quinn doucheism written all over his face.:bash:

Br0nc0Buster
12-15-2009, 04:17 PM
Colt McCoy. Trade back a few times to get him in late round 1 or early round 2. He fits the system well

:spit:

Yeah hate Kyle Orton, but Colt McCoy is the answer?

I guarantee you no NFL GM is would even consider taking McCoy in the first two rounds, he isnt an NFL qb

Finger Roll
12-15-2009, 04:20 PM
He's far more accurate and mobile

BroncoInferno
12-15-2009, 04:23 PM
I would like Clausen or Bradford in the 2nd but Bradford's durability is too big of a question mark for me to feel comfortable going with him in the 1st. Clausen seems like Cutler part two in terms of attitude and he's been inconsistent. I guess if we had to go with one in the 1st I'd say Bradford, but I wouldn't like it.

Kaylore
12-15-2009, 04:30 PM
I'd rather not take a QB in the first round. I don't care for any of the first round graded QB's.

Br0nc0Buster
12-15-2009, 04:31 PM
He's far more accurate and mobile

umm he is more mobile and that is is

He is tiny
has a weak arm
and never had to read defenses while in college

If you think that merits a 1st or 2nd round pick, then you are nuts

Might as well trade for Seneca Wallace, hes fast to

TonyR
12-15-2009, 07:32 PM
"Tony Pike: Similar to Bradford but maybe not as accurate...very smart...also fragile"

Guy misses 6 games in two years for breaking his non-throwing arm (both times), and he's fragile?

Not only that but he doesn't mention Bradford's "fragility".

And why isn't McCoy on this list?

lex
12-15-2009, 07:46 PM
I'd rather not take a QB in the first round. I don't care for any of the first round graded QB's.

Yeah. Thats interesting. There are other threads for posts like that. I guess you didnt understand the premise.

lex
12-15-2009, 07:48 PM
Not only that but he doesn't mention Bradford's "fragility".

And why isn't McCoy on this list?

"Similar to Bradford...also fragile"...? WTF! Why do you even post? LOL.

lex
12-15-2009, 07:52 PM
I would like Clausen or Bradford in the 2nd but Bradford's durability is too big of a question mark for me to feel comfortable going with him in the 1st. Clausen seems like Cutler part two in terms of attitude and he's been inconsistent. I guess if we had to go with one in the 1st I'd say Bradford, but I wouldn't like it.

One thing to keep in mind with the fragility though, is that QBs in the pros are protected more than they are in college. So, even if Clady doesnt protect him, perhaps the overzealous late hit/"hits" to the face/tackling too low flags will.

TonyR
12-15-2009, 08:00 PM
"Similar to Bradford...also fragile"...? WTF! Why do you even post? LOL.

You are unbelievably ignorant and disingenuous. The way you have it worded you are not in any way comparing their fragility in your descriptions. That's just crap. If you want to have any credibility here, and you have very little left, you have to keep it at least a little bit real. You're clearly calling Pike fragile and not Bradford the way it's written.

lex
12-15-2009, 08:19 PM
You are unbelievably ignorant and disingenuous. The way you have it worded you are not in any way comparing their fragility in your descriptions. That's just crap. If you want to have any credibility here, and you have very little left, you have to keep it at least a little bit real. You're clearly calling Pike fragile and not Bradford the way it's written.

No. You just cant read. Besides, youre throwing a fit about something silly on top of being wrong. Maybe you should go back to reading that riff raff stuff from E!SPN. I have no doubt that stuff is easy for the addle-minded to process.

s0phr0syne
12-15-2009, 08:42 PM

Out of curiosity, what does the word also mean to you?

I understand the way the sentence is worded it could go a couple of different ways, but given that my mind is able to process the word simultaneously both ways, I'm pretty sure that a sharper brain like yours could do it as well, if not better.

Little44
12-15-2009, 08:45 PM
Assuming the Bears continue to tank, take Ndamukong Suh or other defensive monster to develop a better pass rush first round. Then Daryll Clark as Orton's understudy for a season or two. Clark has the biggest arm and is the best athlete at the quarterback position. :strong:

lex
12-15-2009, 08:50 PM

I understand the way the sentence is worded it could go a couple of different ways, but given that my mind is able to process the word simultaneously both ways, I'm pretty sure that a sharper brain like yours could do it as well, if not better.

Theres no point in asking this. The guy stepped in it and now he feels a greater need to save face than to honestly answer your question.

BroncoInferno
12-15-2009, 09:49 PM
One thing to keep in mind with the fragility though, is that QBs in the pros are protected more than they are in college. So, even if Clady doesnt protect him, perhaps the overzealous late hit/"hits" to the face/tackling too low flags will.

Yeah, but the biggest concern for me is that he has injured the same shoulder twice. That seems like the sort of thing that could be chronic problem.

lex
12-15-2009, 09:59 PM
Yeah, but the biggest concern for me is that he has injured the same shoulder twice. That seems like the sort of thing that could be chronic problem.

Fair enough. Thats certainly a fair point. Hopefully, if you draft him you get the same accurate QB from 2008 and not some guy who is affected by the injuries youve mentioned.

BroncoInferno
12-15-2009, 10:13 PM
Fair enough. Thats certainly a fair point. Hopefully, if you draft him you get the same accurate QB from 2008 and not some guy who is affected by the injuries youve mentioned.

That's why I'm against him in the 1st. Minus the injuries, he is the only QB in the class I wouldn't mind in the 1st round (though even then it would be on down my list of preferences). If he had only injured the shoulder once and played the rest of the season effectively and without further incident, I wouldn't be too concerned. But shoulder injuries are very often a chronic issue and the second injury could point to that.

For the record, I only think it's worth taking a QB in the 1st if you believe he will be a MAJOR upgrade over Orton. In other words, it needs to be a guy in the class of a Brees or Brady in order for it to be worth our time. I think Orton fits in well with the second tier of the QBs in the league, so only a top 5 caliber guy will be worth it. I think there are at least a couple of good NFL QBs in this class, but none of them strike me as a Brees or Brady type. Locker strikes me as potentially that type of player, but he won't be available. Maybe Bradford if he can stay healthy.

lex
12-15-2009, 10:23 PM
That's why I'm against him in the 1st. Minus the injuries, he is the only QB in the class I wouldn't mind in the 1st round (though even then it would be on down my list of preferences). If he had only injured the shoulder once and played the rest of the season effectively and without further incident, I wouldn't be too concerned. But shoulder injuries are very often a chronic issue and the second injury could point to that.

For the record, I only think it's worth taking a QB in the 1st if you believe he will be a MAJOR upgrade over Orton. In other words, it needs to be a guy in the class of a Brees or Brady in order for it to be worth our time. I think Orton fits in well with the second tier of the QBs in the league, so only a top 5 caliber guy will be worth it. I think there are at least a couple of good NFL QBs in this class, but none of them strike me as a Brees or Brady type. Locker strikes me as potentially that type of player, but he won't be available. Maybe Bradford if he can stay healthy.

I like that Canfield guy. He's fairly mobile, throws with some zip, and is tall. I see him slotted as a 2nd or 3rd. I also like Tony Pike. Pike made a lot of money throws in his most recent game. He basically had to get up off the mat to do it too. He was about to get pulled. There was zero momentum. And then, after he had a blowup with his coach, he went out and ripped Pitt to shreds. It was impressive. A lot of his passes were passes that had to be put in the right spot too. Ill take that. But then again, Brandstater doesnt seem so bad either.

BroncoInferno
12-15-2009, 10:28 PM
I like that Canfield guy. He's fairly mobile, throws with some zip, and is tall. I see him slotted as a 2nd or 3rd. I also like Tony Pike. Pike made a lot of money throws in his most recent game. He basically had to get up off the mat to do it too. He was about to get pulled. There was zero momentum. And then, after he had a blowup with his coach, he went out and ripped Pitt to shreds. It was impressive. A lot of his passes were passes that had to be put in the right spot too. Ill take that. But then again, Brandstater doesnt seem so bad either.

I'm not to familiar with Canfield, to be honest. I've seen Pike several times. He seems like a very streaky guy to me. I mean, he looked terrible early in that Pitt game. I believe he started 11-33 before catching fire at the end and hitting his last 11. Honestly, he reminds me a bit too much of Derek Anderson.

BroncoInferno
12-15-2009, 10:40 PM
I'm not to familiar with Canfield, to be honest. I've seen Pike several times. He seems like a very streaky guy to me. I mean, he looked terrible early in that Pitt game. I believe he started 11-33 before catching fire at the end and hitting his last 11. Honestly, he reminds me a bit too much of Derek Anderson.

To add to this, you also have to wonder with Pike how much of his success had to do with Brian Kelly's system. I mean, Cincy played I believe 4 QBs in 2008 and had a great offense and won 11 games. And this season when Pike missed time with injury the Cincy offense didn't miss a beat with the backup playing.

lex
12-15-2009, 10:50 PM
To add to this, you also have to wonder with Pike how much of his success had to do with Brian Kelly's system. I mean, Cincy played I believe 4 QBs in 2008 and had a great offense and won 11 games. And this season when Pike missed time with injury the Cincy offense didn't miss a beat with the backup playing.

You can look at it like that. But then, what are you really saying...that the guy is coachable? Since when is that bad? He needs to make certain throws but beyond that, if he can be accurate and see the field along with being coachable, is that really so bad? Im not really saying he can make all the throws. But Im guessing he has a stronger arm than a lot of guys in the NFL.

BroncoInferno
12-15-2009, 11:00 PM
You can look at it like that. But then, what are you really saying...that the guy is coachable? Since when is that bad? He needs to make certain throws but beyond that, if he can be accurate and see the field along with being coachable, is that really so bad? Im not really saying he can make all the throws. But Im guessing he has a stronger arm than a lot of guys in the NFL.

Well, that's only one of my concerns. I think it's valid because we've seen guys like Tim Couch and David Klinger come into the league from passer friendly collegiate schemes who didn't cut it in the NFL. That doesn't mean he can't be successful, but, man, when a coach can produce a high octane offense with 4 different QBs like Kelly did in '08, it's harder to believe that all of those guys were good than it is that they were products of the system.

That said, Pike seems to have the necessary tools, but a lot of guys have that. What bothers me most is the streaky nature of his passing.

Cleo McDowell
12-16-2009, 04:11 AM
I could never root for Jimmy Clausen. He has that Brady Quinn doucheism written all over his face.:bash:

http://static14.images.tpzj.com/images/joke/2009/2009711/127/127808/127808_7.jpg

s0phr0syne
12-16-2009, 06:27 AM

You do realize that even Brees (end of the 2nd round) and Brady (the 97th round) didn't come out of college looking like they were in the caliber of Brees and Brady??

I mean, look, everyone is on board with what your sentiment is, as they would theoretically be for any player taken in the first round, but the reality of it is that no one has ANY idea which player is going make it and which won't...which I'm sure you understand too. I just wanted to point out how nonpragmatic it is to not take players in the first unless they will turn into X or Y.

oubronco
12-16-2009, 06:33 AM
http://static14.images.tpzj.com/images/joke/2009/2009711/127/127808/127808_7.jpg

gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyy

strafen
12-16-2009, 08:15 AM
I wouldn't be against taking a shot on Tebow in the 7th as a project TE or special teams player.He didn't play TE or special team in college, moron!
He's a QB. Idiot!

You need a TE you draft a TE, you need special team players, you draft special team players.
WTF is that?
Wasting a draft pick to convert someone to play a position they've never played before?
You've been haging with errand too long. Stupidity is contagious!

bowtown
12-16-2009, 08:18 AM
He didn't play TE or special team in college, moron!
He's a QB. Idiot!

Oh boy...

strafen
12-16-2009, 08:26 AM
Oh boy...

Hey, I don't usually call people names, but I just wanted to let you know what a moron looks like when you post stuff like that.
I wanted to know what I moron feels like by posting to sound like errand.
I know, it doesn't look good on me, does it?
So, next time, don't go out of your way to tell me I'm somebody else, or insinuating my posts are insulting when they're not.

bowtown
12-16-2009, 08:33 AM
Hey, I don't usually call people names, but I just wanted to let you know what a moron looks like when you post stuff like that.
I wanted to know what I moron feels like by posting to sound like errand.
I know, it doesn't look good on me, does it?
So, next time, don't go out of your way to tell me I'm somebody else, or insinuating my posts are insulting when they're not.

You are a real treat.

Don't worry. I promise I will never insinuate that you are Broncofan7 ever again... I much prefer him to you.

misturanderson
12-16-2009, 08:53 AM

This is exactly why I don't understand everyone's infatuation with Bradford.

He's practically the exact same QB as Pike, he just matured a year faster. They both played in QB friendly systems and put up big numbers, both of their backups came in and tore it up immediately in said system when they were injured, they both have an injury history (though I don't think Pike's is as bad), neither is especially mobile, but both are mobile enough, neither has an amazing arm, but both have great accuracy and decision making in the pocket.

Other than Bradford putting up outrageous numbers a year ago on a national title contending team in a conference that didn't play defense, what is the difference between them?

TonyR
12-16-2009, 09:04 AM

I hate to belabor this but since you felt the need to comment I feel the need to explain.

The comments in the poll are as follows:

Sam Bradford: very accurate and decent arm strength

Tony Pike: Similar to Bradford but maybe not as accurate...very smart...also fragile

The way this is strucuted the also acts as and. Tony Pike is very smart and fragile. If fragile had been mentioned in the description of Bradford then you'd have a case. It wasn't. The only comparison b/t Bradford and Pike, the way this is worded, is the accuracy description. Notice that accurate is in both descriptions.

Cleo McDowell
12-16-2009, 09:23 AM
gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyy

more like dooooucccchheee...

SoonerBronco
12-16-2009, 11:15 AM
This is exactly why I don't understand everyone's infatuation with Bradford.

He's practically the exact same QB as Pike, he just matured a year faster. They both played in QB friendly systems and put up big numbers, both of their backups came in and tore it up immediately in said system when they were injured, they both have an injury history (though I don't think Pike's is as bad), neither is especially mobile, but both are mobile enough, neither has an amazing arm, but both have great accuracy and decision making in the pocket.

Other than Bradford putting up outrageous numbers a year ago on a national title contending team in a conference that didn't play defense, what is the difference between them?

Landry Jones was a far cry from Sam Bradford. I think in this year he has thrown more ints than Sam has in his career.

You can say it's a system, but Sam Bradford has SHATTERED the record books at OU in only two years. The guy is special, and he is not going to ruin you with bad PR. Also, he can throw the ball farther than 15 yards downfield without the long wind up that Orton has.

BroncoMan4ever
12-16-2009, 11:18 AM
no QB in this class makes me think any of them will be franchise stars.

and of the ones listed, the only one i might be slightly interested in is Tebow, and that is more for his characteristics as a leader and intelligence more than his QB ability.

Bradford is one sack away from not playing football again or becoming a new version of Pennington.

Clausen is nothing special at this time, neither is Pike.

SoonerBronco
12-16-2009, 11:25 AM
no QB in this class makes me think any of them will be franchise stars.

and of the ones listed, the only one i might be slightly interested in is Tebow, and that is more for his characteristics as a leader and intelligence more than his QB ability.

Bradford is one sack away from not playing football again or becoming a new version of Pennington.

Everyone that plays football is in that same position. How many surgeries has Buckhalter had? What about Drew Brees's shoulder.

His shoulder will be fine. He is the best QB available this year, he fits the cerebral QB that thrives in this offense, if he is there when we pick, we would be silly not to take him.

TonyR
12-16-2009, 11:41 AM
Everyone that plays football is in that same position.

Maybe, but do you really want to invest a first round pick and big $, at the most important position on the field, in a guy with legit health concerns?

Bronco LB52
12-16-2009, 12:41 PM
more like dooooucccchheee...

I am appalled that 27 Broncos fans actually want Clausen. That's enough of an offense to put them on ignore.

BroncoMan4ever
12-16-2009, 12:50 PM
Everyone that plays football is in that same position. How many surgeries has Buckhalter had? What about Drew Brees's shoulder.

His shoulder will be fine. He is the best QB available this year, he fits the cerebral QB that thrives in this offense, if he is there when we pick, we would be silly not to take him.

no doubt there is risk to playing football for anyone who straps on a helmet. but to waste a potential top 10 pick on a guy who already has question marks on his throwing shoulder is too big of a risk, for a team that needs some help in other areas to take the next step towards being elite.

add in that QB is not the biggest need of this team. with interior OL, DL, and a rapidly aging Secondary being big needs, it would be extremely foolish to use that pick on Bradford.

Bigdawg26
12-16-2009, 01:24 PM
No love for Colt McCoy???? I think he is the most athletic, good accuracy, and above average arm and is a really good QB! We could put him up in the second round or trade down and get him and let Orton show him the ropes for a season or a half a season.

errand
02-18-2010, 05:01 PM
He didn't play TE or special team in college, moron!
He's a QB. Idiot!

You need a TE you draft a TE, you need special team players, you draft special team players.
WTF is that?
Wasting a draft pick to convert someone to play a position they've never played before?
You've been haging with errand too long. Stupidity is contagious!

This coming from someone who thinks a converted fullback should be starting in front of a guy who played RB in college

Baba Booey
02-18-2010, 05:04 PM
Bradford then Clausen in a distant second.

Dagmar
02-18-2010, 05:40 PM
This coming from someone who thinks a converted fullback should be starting in front of a guy who played RB in college

Morelike this coming from a poster who says he doesn't personally attack anyone. It's his creed!

Oops.

I chose Bradford if he is there at 10/11 (when is that decided?) but I would rather strengthen the lines!

Must
strengthen
the
lines

BroncoMan4ever
02-18-2010, 06:54 PM
That being said, no way do I want a QB in the first. We will have some great prospects available in rounds 3 - 6. McCoy in the third would be great.

I just wish I knew exactly what McD thought of Brandstater.

McDaniels didn't move him up to 2nd string this past season after the epic suck Simms showed he was worthless. that right there tells me, he is never going to be anything for this team.

but to answer the original post, I would take Clausen. I wouldn't draft Bradford is he fell to our 2nd round pick.

Paladin
02-18-2010, 08:18 PM
Interesting that Bowlen's point about drafting a QB apparently was not to replace Orton, but to replace either Simms and/or Tommy B. IIRC, he did support Orton.....