PDA

View Full Version : Todd McShay's 1st 2010 Mock has the Broncos taking...

Denver724
12-15-2009, 08:02 AM
#8 Denver Broncos (from 5-8 Chicago)

Rolando McClain*, ILB, Alabama

McClain is a tough, relentless run stopper who masks his lack of ideal range with great instincts and his ability to take good angles. He's not a two-down linebacker, either, and can more than hold his own in underneath coverage.

and the Seahawks taking...

#23 Seattle Seahawks (from 8-5 Denver)

Jimmy Clausen*, QB, Notre Dame

Current starter Matt Hasselbeck is 34 years old and backup Seneca Wallace doesn't appear to be the long-term answer. There are concerns about Clausen's release and he doesn't have ideal arm strength, but his mobility and accuracy underneath would make him a good fit for a West Coast offense.

tsiguy96
12-15-2009, 08:20 AM
wouldnt mind rolando, depends if its viable to move up for a DT or if one falls to us.

Ambiguous
12-15-2009, 08:22 AM
I'd be fine with that...

SoDak Bronco
12-15-2009, 08:22 AM
Thanks for posting..care to post the whole mock draft? Thanks.

cousinal11
12-15-2009, 08:28 AM
I would love that pick.

Smiling Assassin27
mount cody? we could probably trade down and still get this guy. 6-5 365 NT might make up for not getting Raji last year.

we need a run stuffer who can help prevent the 3rd and 4th quarter collapses against the run, and can keep OL from getting to the LB's/2nd level.

cousinal11
mount cody? we could probably trade down and still get this guy. 6-5 365 NT might make up for not getting Raji last year.

we need a run stuffer who can help prevent the 3rd and 4th quarter collapses against the run, and can keep OL from getting to the LB's/2nd level.

That would be fine as well.

Rohirrim
12-15-2009, 08:31 AM
If the Broncos don't see somebody that they are absolutely in love with at their pick, this is a great draft to trade down and load up on the picks. A lower first, a second, and a third would be something to think about. You could walk away with the best LG and C in the draft.

SoDak Bronco
12-15-2009, 08:32 AM
What would you guys say is our biggest draft needs after this season?

Rohirrim
12-15-2009, 08:37 AM

IMO, LG and C. If we had two maulers at those positions last week, we win the Colts game.

Man-Goblin
12-15-2009, 08:37 AM

My opinion in order: Interior offensive line, Defensive line, ILB, QB, OLB, WR (especially with Royal disappearing), CB, RB.

Broncoman13
12-15-2009, 08:38 AM
If the Broncos don't see somebody that they are absolutely in love with at their pick, this is a great draft to trade down and load up on the picks. A lower first, a second, and a third would be something to think about. You could walk away with the best LG and C in the draft.

We say this same thing every draft... lol

I don't disagree with you and wouldn't mind to see us draft a couple of OG/C prospects, but I don't think there are going to be a lot of teams wanting to trade up into the top 10.

But, since we're playing this game. (and I like it ;D)

Trade #8 (or so) for the #21, 54, and 86. At #21 you take CJ Spiller. A guy that can have a Chris Johnson/Percy Harvin/DeSean Jackson type effect on a team. Then at 54 and 86 you go interior OL. We have our own 2nd and 3rd round picks to address DL but I also suspect we'll make a play for either Seymour or Wilfork. ;D My world is perfect, don't mess with me.

s0phr0syne
12-15-2009, 08:38 AM

IMO, could be said about EVERY draft. It's just such a crap shoot that if you can scheme it that way, the best value seems to be between 20-50ish...just get as many picks in that range as possible and pull the trigger.

KevinJames
12-15-2009, 08:40 AM
I say if Berry, G McCoy, Cody, McClain is gone we should take CJ Spiller since Buckhalter's never a sure bet Moreno and CJ would be the perfect one two punch.

no-pseudo-fan
12-15-2009, 08:41 AM
I am fine with that pick. We need to get stronger on front 7 and interior O-line.

SoDak Bronco
12-15-2009, 08:45 AM
I love Spiller, but I think you would have wayyyy too much invested in the RB position to justify that pick (two top 12 picks). Especially since normally both players wouldn't be playing at the same time. I think Buck is doing a fine job, and you can fnd a 1-2 punch much later in the draft, or even find an undrafted gem.

SoDak Bronco
12-15-2009, 08:46 AM
Would you guys be upset if we took the CB from Fla?

oubronco
12-15-2009, 08:48 AM
what would you guys say is our biggest draft needs after this season?

dl, og, qb, lb, de, c

CEH
12-15-2009, 08:51 AM
I think at #8 you have to draft a playmaker or stud defensive player
While G and C and IBer are high on our list is McClain a Patrick Willis type playmaker? No G or C have been drafted that high ever Hutch I think went #16

I like the 2nd/3rd round to find G, C and ILbers.

That leaves OLBer , WR, or QB or a stud like Suh, McCoy or Berry which may require a trade up

I would like to have a shot at CJ Spiller as we have seen what a difference CBuck does coupled with Slipshown but too high for Spiller. I don't like CBuck as he seems to be a tissue paper athlete and can't be counted on

I'm thinking Wr, QB or OLber. Having a pass rushers opposite Doom is very high on my list.

The best scenerio may be a trade down but teams only trade up for QBs and Locker not coming out hurts us there

WR could be Dez Bryant

Who knows right now how McD feels about Orton but by the draft we should know wheter QB is high on our list as well

Some have posted the same thoughts but I was typing out my response during that time they posted

s0phr0syne
12-15-2009, 08:54 AM
dl, og, qb, lb, de, c

I think DB has to be a huge priority either through draft or FA...we've got 4 starters that are over 30 and a nickelback who is beyond over the hill.

Alphonso and McBath are the only young DBs to show any promise of playing time as Bruton and Barrett are primarily ST players. We've got to get some young CBs to develop, I think.

Kyle Wilson looks pretty good out of Boise State.

Kaylore
12-15-2009, 09:07 AM
McClain isn't a need position, but I could see him being the BPA at that spot and he fits the type of player that McD wants here.

Hercules Rockefeller
12-15-2009, 09:10 AM
McClain isn't a need position, but I could see him being the BPA at that spot and he fits the type of player that McD wants here.

Oh he absolutely is a need a position. They need to upgrade all the DL spots and Andra Davis' spot.

Hercules Rockefeller
12-15-2009, 09:12 AM
I say if Berry, G McCoy, Cody, McClain is gone we should take CJ Spiller since Buckhalter's never a sure bet Moreno and CJ would be the perfect one two punch.

Cody is going at the bottom of the 1st at best, he would be a terrible pick in the Top 10. He's a 2-down NT. That's not a Top 10 pick. I would love it if they ended up trading down and acquiring a higher 2nd and using it on Cody though.

Hercules Rockefeller
12-15-2009, 09:14 AM

DE, ILB, LG, and C

I do not see the need for a WR with the 1st like some do. Royal's having a sophomore slump, if the problem persists after next season and they're not getting production out of the #2 WR spot, then it might be time to look for an upgrade. As it stands now, they have a top 5 WR, an above average #2, and great depth.

Kaylore
12-15-2009, 09:15 AM
Oh he absolutely is a need a position. They need to upgrade all the DL spots and Andra Davis' spot.

So then why not Terrence Cody instead?

Broncoman13
12-15-2009, 09:16 AM
I love Spiller, but I think you would have wayyyy too much invested in the RB position to justify that pick (two top 12 picks). Especially since normally both players wouldn't be playing at the same time. I think Buck is doing a fine job, and you can fnd a 1-2 punch much later in the draft, or even find an undrafted gem.

You are assuming that Spiller would be playing only RB. I think he is going to be playing a lot of positions in the NFL. They will work him in all over the field to force defenses to focus on him. A player like Spiller can work in so many ways. Kind of like Reggie Bush in NO. He doesn't get his due b/c he doesn't perform like a #1 overall pick, but he is a very dynamic weapon that plays all over the place, returns punts and dictates coverages so that Peyton knows exactly how to expose defenses. Spiller would offer the same thing at a lower price... and I think he is a more explosive player than even Reggie Bush.

Rohirrim
12-15-2009, 09:16 AM
The Broncos right now are a top 5 defense. Keep that in mind. They are certainly good enough to take to a SB. What lost us the game last week was an inability of the interior Oline to impose its will on the defense when it had to. Since (IMHO) the crucial needs of the team are linemen, I would love to see the Broncos trade down, and like the scenario above, where they walk away with a low first, another second, and a third, they could come out of the first day with (for example) DT Dan Williams, LG Iaputi, C Tennant, and still pick up a good LB and a BPA. There are also a lot of good DEs that will be there in the second round.

Hercules Rockefeller
12-15-2009, 09:17 AM
So then why not Terrence Cody instead?

Because Cody's not a 1st round pick?

Since we're doing McShay, his mock is insider, but Cody is not in his Top 32 overall.

Broncoman13
12-15-2009, 09:20 AM
Because Cody's not a 1st round pick?

Interesting thought and one that has crossed my mind a few times as well. He doesn't seem to be much more than a run plugger. But you can't coach size and he has a pretty decent motor and anchors one of the best DLs on one of the best Defenses in college football. Not disagreeing with you, but I think I am a little higher on him than you. But certainly understand your POV.

WolfpackGuy
12-15-2009, 09:45 AM
A blocker eating nose tackle like Cody would do wonders for the rest of the front 7.

oubronco
12-15-2009, 09:51 AM
A blocker eating nose tackle like Cody would do wonders for the rest of the front 7.

I agree

Rulon Velvet Jones
12-15-2009, 10:01 AM
http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft10/insider/news/story?id=4730972

By Todd McShay
ESPN.com
OK ... Let's try this again. Our first run at our first 2010 mock draft hit a little speed bump when our projected No. 1 overall pick -- Washington QB Jake Locker -- announced he is returning to school for his senior season. So after reviewing team needs, we once again bring out the 2010 mock first round.

We've ordered this first round according to current NFL standings, and ties between teams with identical records are broken based on 2009 strength of schedule, with the team with the weaker strength of schedule getting the higher pick.

The purpose of this early mock draft is to get a feel for the top players on the board and where they might fit into the first round. We include the top draft-eligible underclassmen in this, and while it might bite us occasionally (see Locker, Jake), it gives a better and more fair representation of what the first round might eventually look like, as opposed to if we were to do this with only the senior prospects.

As it stands right now, defensive players and offensive tackles rule the top 10, with a quarterback and safety thrown in the mix as well.

St. Louis RamsRecord: 1-12Ndamukong Suh, DT, Nebraska
Reach for a quarterback or take the top defensive lineman in the class? Tough call, but we think the Rams should take Suh. Anyone who saw the Big 12 championship game knows what kind of effect the explosive Suh can have on a game. He is a disruptive run defender with the arm strength to toss aside blockers and the quickness to make plays behind the line of scrimmage. Although he isn't the most polished pass-rusher, he clearly has great potential in this area.

Tampa Bay BuccaneersRecord: 1-12Eric Berry*, S, Tennessee
The Bucs might be hesitant to take a safety with the second overall selection, but we believe he's the premier prospect in the 2010 class. Much like the Baltimore Ravens' All-Pro Ed Reed, Berry is a game changer with exceptional versatility.

Cleveland BrownsRecord: 2-11Derrick Morgan*, DE, Georgia Tech
Morgan can anchor at the point of attack, make plays in pursuit, get to the quarterback coming off the edge and drop into coverage. That type of versatility would be a nice addition to a Browns defensive front seven that lacks difference-makers.

Detroit LionsRecord: 2-11Gerald McCoy*, DT, Oklahoma
The Lions are in dire need of a difference-maker along the defensive front, and McCoy is the prototypical 3-technique with the quick first step and power to make a living in opposing backfields.

Kansas City ChiefsRecord: 3-10Russell Okung, OT, Oklahoma State
Help up front might be Kansas City's greatest need. LOT Branden Albert -- a first-round pick in 2008 -- has had problems staying healthy, and he could slide to the right side or even inside to guard if the Chiefs land a franchise left tackle. Okung is the most complete offensive tackle prospect in this class and could provide that piece of the puzzle for Kansas City.

Oakland RaidersRecord: 4-9Carlos Dunlap*, DE, Florida
Dunlap is very much a buyer-beware prospect. On one hand, an arrest on DUI charges the week of the SEC championship game and questions about his work ethic raise red flags. On the other hand, 290-pound defensive linemen who move as well as he does are few and far between.

Washington RedskinsRecord: 4-9Sam Bradford*, QB, Oklahoma
Surgery on his throwing shoulder and concerns about the scheme he played in at Oklahoma caused Bradford to fall behind Locker on our board. On the other hand, Bradford has the physical tools and football IQ to quickly develop into an effective starting NFL quarterback.

Denver Broncos (from 5-8 Chicago)Record: 8-5Rolando McClain*, ILB, Alabama
McClain is a tough, relentless run stopper who masks his lack of ideal range with great instincts and his ability to take good angles. He's not a two-down linebacker, either, and can more than hold his own in underneath coverage.

Seattle SeahawksRecord: 5-8Trent Williams, OT, Oklahoma
Williams moved from the right to the left side this year, and while he didn't fare as well this season as he had in previous seasons, he is capable of quickly developing into an effective NFL starting right tackle. He is a tough runblocker who drives his feet once in position, and he can hold his own in pass protection when his footwork is sound.

Buffalo BillsRecord: 5-8Anthony Davis*, OT, Rutgers
Davis comes with a bit of baggage, but there isn't an offensive lineman in the 2010 class with a better combination of size and agility.

San Francisco 49ersRecord: 6-7Joe Haden*, CB, Florida
San Francisco's pass defense has been a liability this year, and the 49ers need to inject some youth and talent into their cornerback unit. Haden is the best cover corner in his class, has the burst to stalk receivers underneath and shows the speed to run with them downfield.

Pittsburgh SteelersRecord: 6-7Bruce Campbell*, OT, Maryland
Campbell is a work in progress and could benefit from another year in college, but he's shooting up draft boards after a strong 2009 season and may be too talented to pass up for the Steelers, who need help at offensive tackle.

San Francisco 49ers (from 5-8 Carolina)Record: 6-7Sergio Kindle, DE/OLB, Texas
San Francisco could reach for an offensive lineman like Bryan Bulaga here, but in our opinion Kindle is too good a value to pass up here. Though he has to improve his ability to anchor against the run, he has the burst and agility base 3-4 defenses covet at outside linebacker.

Houston TexansRecord: 6-7Earl Thomas**, S, Texas
Like Berry, there isn't much Thomas can't do on a football field. He can match up with slot receivers, blitz off the edge, has great range in coverage and steps up in run support.

Tennessee TitansRecord: 6-7Jason Pierre-Paul*, DE, South Florida
Pierre-Paul wreaks havoc off the edge and would be a nice addition to the Titans, whose defensive ends are showing signs of aging.

Atlanta FalconsRecord: 6-7Navorro Bowman*, OLB, Penn State
The Falcons need an impact player at cornerback, but the next-best corner, Florida State's Patrick Robinson, is not worth taking this early. Bowman has some off-the-field baggage but he might be the best all-around athlete at linebacker in this year's class.

Baltimore RavensRecord: 7-6Dez Bryant*, WR, Oklahoma State
Baltimore needs to give 2008 first-round pick and franchise QB Joe Flacco a playmaker at receiver. Bryant was ruled ineligible by the NCAA earlier this season, but teams have seen more than enough to know he can stretch the field.

Jacksonville JaguarsRecord: 7-6Bruce Carter*, OLB, North Carolina
Jacksonville could upgrade at outside linebacker and Carter would be an excellent value here. He would benefit from adding some bulk to his frame but he's a rangy run stopper and he shows above-average ball skills in coverage.

New York GiantsRecord: 7-6Brandon Spikes*, ILB, Florida
Antonio Pierce sustained a season-ending neck injury and has just one year left on his contract, so Spikes would be a good fit as a future replacement. While injuries slowed Spikes this year, he is an instinctive run stopper who can make plays all over the field when he's healthy. He's also flashed big-play ability in coverage.

New York JetsRecord: 7-6Bryan Bulaga*, OT, Iowa
Bulaga plays a bit high and his footwork could be better, but the Jets need help at tackle and he's the best available.

Miami DolphinsRecord:7-6Golden Tate*, WR, Notre Dame
Tate is a bit of a reach this high, but the Dolphins are in desperate need of a playmaker at wide receiver and he's the next best one this class has to offer behind Bryant.

Arizona CardinalsRecord: 8-5Jermaine Gresham, TE, Oklahoma
Gresham missed the entire 2009 season with a knee injury, and he doesn't offer much as a run blocker. However, our film evaluation makes it clear that he has what it to takes to develop into one of the most productive and dangerous receiving tight ends in the league.

Seattle Seahawks (from 8-5 Denver)Record: 5-8Jimmy Clausen*, QB, Notre Dame
Current starter Matt Hasselbeck is 34 years old and backup Seneca Wallace doesn't appear to be the long-term answer. There are concerns about Clausen's release and he doesn't have ideal arm strength, but his mobility and accuracy underneath would make him a good fit for a West Coast offense.

Dallas CowboysRecord: 8-5Taylor Mays, S, USC
We've seen Mays get caught out of position far too often to move him ahead of Berry or Thomas. However, it's rare to find defensive backs with Mays' size/speed combination, and he would be an upgrade for the Cowboys.

New England PatriotsRecord: 8-5Ricky Sapp, DE/OLB, Clemson
New England desperately needs to improve its pedestrian pass rush and Sapp has the burst to provide that much-needed spark. He has lined up primarily at end in college but has shown he can be effective working out of a two-point stance and would be a good fit for the Patriots' base 3-4 defense.

Green Bay PackersRecord: 9-4C.J. Spiller, RB, Clemson
In this scenario, Spiller slides down the board and Green Bay wins the lottery. Spiller would add a big-play element to the running game and his ability to motion out into the slot makes him an excellent fit for the Packers' pass-heavy scheme.

Cincinnati BengalsRecord: 9-4Marvin Austin*, DT, North Carolina
Cincinnati leads the league in rushing defense but having quality depth and talent at defensive tackle is essential to stay on top of the AFC North, so adding Austin makes sense. He's a stout interior run defender and powerful bull rusher.

Philadelphia EaglesRecord: 9-4Vladimir Ducasse, OT, Massachusetts
Ducasse is 330 pounds and his feet may not be quick enough to hold up at left tackle, where he played at UMass, but he still moves well for his size and we think he could develop into a starting right tackle. If he doesn't pan out at tackle he has the makings of an excellent guard.

San Diego ChargersRecord: 10-3Jonathan Dwyer*, RB, Georgia Tech
Darren Sproles is an excellent change-of-pace back but he's too small to be the primary ball carrier, and 30-year-old LaDainian Tomlinson hasn't looked the same the past two years. Taking Dwyer here would give the Chargers a physical between-the-tackles runner capable of carrying the ball 20-plus times and setting up the play-action package.

Minnesota VikingsRecord: 11-2Brian Price*, DT, UCLA
Price is said to be leaning toward entering the upcoming draft. He's a quick and powerful defender who could provide some much-needed depth behind aging starters Kevin Williams and Pat Williams.

Indianapolis ColtsRecord: 13-0Jared Odrick, DT, Penn State
Odrick doesn't have great athletic ability but he's quick, flashes the ability to shed blocks quickly and plays with a nonstop motor, making him a good fit for an Indianapolis organization looking to upgrade its run defense.

New Orleans SaintsRecord: 13-0Dan Williams, DT, Tennessee
Williams is a reach here, but like Indianapolis, the Saints should be looking to upgrade their run defense, and adding the 311-pound Williams would be a step in the right direction.

SportinOne
12-15-2009, 10:01 AM
So, what's wrong with what Andra Davis has been doing? I'd say he's been a bright spot.

Pick Six
12-15-2009, 10:05 AM
Hmmm...if the draft goes down like that (the revised draft), McClain might just be the BPA...

LRtagger
12-15-2009, 10:07 AM

Right, but Cody is a two-down player. You don't pay two-down players top 10 money. You just don't. Thats why he has slipped to the back of the first round.

I would be happy with McClain. Especially considering McD seems to be the kind of coach that likes to let rookies develop with the second team. Davis is servicable for another year while McClain could develop into a real threat for 2011. And if McClain happened to beat out Davis that would be icing on the cake.

Suh and McCoy will obviously be gone. My next choice would be Berry, but I think he will be gone by our pick.

Aside from McClain, I would also be happy with Joe Haden. Seeing him play opposite Smith after Champ and Goodman are gone could potentially be awesome.

I wouldn't mind Spiller simply because he is a dangerous return man, but so is Eddie Royal. And having so much money tied up in the RB position wouldn't be that smart. It hasn't worked out well for Carolina this year. I would rather improve the line and work with Moreno and Hillis into the future.

Ideally I would like to see us trade back and get a lot of second round picks....just like the Pats did last draft.

cutthemdown
12-15-2009, 10:09 AM

linebackers/Dends/OG/C

oubronco
12-15-2009, 10:13 AM
I don't see only 2 QB's in the first round

Kaylore
12-15-2009, 10:20 AM
Right, but Cody is a two-down player. You don't pay two-down players top 10 money. You just don't. Thats why he has slipped to the back of the first round.
I guess I'm higher on Cody than you and Herc. I think what he does, which is basically command a double team every down, is perfect for a 3-4. We don't need a NT to rush the passer on any down. Our Front 3 don't do that right now. We're a gap-control D-line that let's the linebackers and whoever else rush the passer. He also comes from the Parcells coaching tree. I also think whenever you have these linebackers making great plays, you have to take a look at who was playing in front of them.

Ideally I would like to see us trade back and get a lot of second round picks....just like the Pats did last draft.

This I agree with. If we can trade back and pick up more picks that would be awesome.

spdirty
12-15-2009, 10:23 AM
Wow. Dont watch much college football outside of CU, but I thought Taylor Mays was a top 10 stud. Lets trade down and get him.

Pony Boy
12-15-2009, 10:34 AM
Wow. Dont watch much college football outside of CU, but I thought Taylor Mays was a top 10 stud. Lets trade down and get him.

Taylor Mays at one time was the top rated saftey in the draft, not sure why he has dropped to second round. He has the tools to be a top notch player does anyone know why his stock has gone down?

Popps
12-15-2009, 10:35 AM
I like the McClain idea. An OL pick (the kid BPC has been talking about) would be nice, too.

Though it's not pure need, I also wouldn't be too bummed out if we landed Mays. I think he's going to be special.

There are so many great options in the 10-15 range, it's insane.

There is also a nice crop of DL/OLBs in free agency this year.

Pony Boy
12-15-2009, 10:36 AM
I think it's hard to speculate on a need until Marshall is locked up. If he's not in the fold you have to turn your attention to a guy like Dez Bryant.

Rohirrim
12-15-2009, 10:39 AM
Taylor Mays at one time was the top rated saftey in the draft, not sure why he has dropped to second round. He has the tools to be a top notch player does anyone know why his stock has gone down?

I've watched nearly every USC game. He's no Ronnie Lott. He has great measurables, but he definitely doesn't play with the intensity you see in guys like Polamalu, Reed, or Lott, for that matter. He'll make some big plays, and then he won't. I wouldn't spend top ten money on him.

cutthemdown
12-15-2009, 10:40 AM
I think the reason we forgo having 2 first round picks is because there just isn't enough in upfront money to sign, Marshall, Doom, Kuper, Orton and 2 first round picks all in same offseason.

There are some decent bigger OG in FA this yr including Logan Mankins from NE. We may be able to sign Doom and Marshall, draft some bigger more versatile Dends or linebacker, and then sign a OG in FA.

cousinal11
12-15-2009, 10:41 AM

I've heard him referred to as "the most overrated player in college football" on more than one occasion.

OBF1
12-15-2009, 10:41 AM

They have him at #24 going to Seattle. Taylor Mays has been injured this season. When he has played he has not been the same player he was last season. He gets out of position alot and has not been the hitter he was either. We get to see him play alot living in SoCal.

Popps
12-15-2009, 10:43 AM
I've watched nearly every USC game. He's no Ronnie Lott. He has great measurables, but he definitely doesn't play with the intensity you see in guys like Polamalu, Reed, or Lott, for that matter. He'll make some big plays, and then he won't. I wouldn't spend top ten money on him.

Wow... well, scratch him from my list. You were the guy I figured would have the best insight on him.

Sounds like he should have come out last year.

Rohirrim
12-15-2009, 10:43 AM
I guess I'm higher on Cody than you and Herc. I think what he does, which is basically command a double team every down, is perfect for a 3-4. We don't need a NT to rush the passer on any down. Our Front 3 don't do that right now. We're a gap-control D-line that let's the linebackers and whoever else rush the passer. He also comes from the Parcells coaching tree. I also think whenever you have these linebackers making great plays, you have to take a look at who was playing in front of them.

This I agree with. If we can trade back and pick up more picks that would be awesome.

I still like Cody too, but not to the tune of a top ten pick. If we could trade down and take him in the 20s, I'm all for it. I also like Tennessee's Dan Williams, who is a run tackling machine and a Vince Wilfork clone. Frankly, I would really like to trade down in this draft and load up on a bunch of big maulers.

SoonerBronco
12-15-2009, 11:12 AM
I know you guys will call me homer and all that jazz, and that's fine, but we are within striking distance of Bradford. He is the cerebral type QB with all the physical tools you would need to succeed in McD's offense. His arm strength would immediately give you another dimension that our offense is lacking these days. Being able to stretch the defense another 10-15 yards would do wonders for our running game, which has been doing really well despite the constant 8 in the box looks. I know folks are worried about his shoulder but Dr. Andrews did the Surgery to repair the AC joint, and after chatting with a few orthopedic surgeons, I have no doubts that he will be as good as new by next training camp. Draft time though, may be a little tough. Also, lets not forget Drew Brees who had a terrible shoulder injury only to come back and compete at a higher level. Bradford is a tremendous athlete. He was an all state basketball player and Golfer here in OK, so he is very athletic. I have no doubt the guy will be an awesome NFL QB in the future.

Having seen him play since HS, that is my somewhat insightful opinion.

Los Broncos
12-15-2009, 11:12 AM
I posted this in another thread, I like the pick, good with that.

s0phr0syne
12-15-2009, 11:20 AM
I think Bradford's the best as well, but I don't agree that his arm strength will be that much of an added dimension--he doesn't have a cannon arm, and in my opinion, even if his arm is stronger than orton's, right now the problem with the Bronco offense is not Orton's arm strength.

Bradford will bring more to the table in terms of mobility in the pocket, but it's impossible to predict how his awareness will be. Orton's isn't all that great, it has really killed us at times with him taking sacks that could be avoided by a better QB. But Bradford didn't show great awareness, and I think you can look at the BYU game where he got injured to see that. Hard to say whether or not his pocket awareness will hold muster in the NFL.

Orton gives us a lot of what we need from the QB position--intelligent and able to read defenses to get us into the right play. His drawbacks in my opinion are that he is a deaf/blind/dumb statue in the pocket, he doesn't have great mobility, and he doesn't get through his progressions very quickly. I don't know enough about QB evaluation to know whether Bradford gives an upgrade in terms of pocket awareness or how he'd go through progressions in an NFL system, but I do know that he definitely is a better athlete. He's really clever kid in terms of schoolwork and such, so it bodes well for his mental capabilities.

Durango
12-15-2009, 11:22 AM
Would you guys be upset if we took the CB from Fla?

I would. We spent a first on this Alphonzo Smith kid. Are we going to keep drafting position players year after year like Shanahan did until he finally realized the only sure thing was a trade for an established player; Champ Bailey.

Trading down would only be smart if your staff drafts well. There is nothing about the '09 selections that indicate this staff has a clue when it comes to the draft.

OBF1
12-15-2009, 11:23 AM
Sooner....

According to Orangemane law, Bradford has to be considered injury prone and fraile. Do we really want to spend our 1st round pick on that?

Another idea would be trade back a bit and pick up both Cody and McCoy, that would take care of 2 of our needs.

The Joker
12-15-2009, 11:39 AM
I'd be fine with McClain.

A stud MLB is a great weapon for any defense to have, and he has the potential to be just that.

DJ and Davis have done well this year and are both good players, but neither is the kind of game changing MLB that I'd love us to have.

No problem with taking Cody, even if he is a 2-down player. He'll command a double team every time he's out there, and should help give us a very solid run D for the next decade.

SoonerBronco
12-15-2009, 11:39 AM
I think Bradford's the best as well, but I don't agree that his arm strength will be that much of an added dimension--he doesn't have a cannon arm, and in my opinion, even if his arm is stronger than orton's, right now the problem with the Bronco offense is not Orton's arm strength.

Bradford will bring more to the table in terms of mobility in the pocket, but it's impossible to predict how his awareness will be. Orton's isn't all that great, it has really killed us at times with him taking sacks that could be avoided by a better QB. But Bradford didn't show great awareness, and I think you can look at the BYU game where he got injured to see that. Hard to say whether or not his pocket awareness will hold muster in the NFL.

Orton gives us a lot of what we need from the QB position--intelligent and able to read defenses to get us into the right play. His drawbacks in my opinion are that he is a deaf/blind/dumb statue in the pocket, he doesn't have great mobility, and he doesn't get through his progressions very quickly. I don't know enough about QB evaluation to know whether Bradford gives an upgrade in terms of pocket awareness or how he'd go through progressions in an NFL system, but I do know that he definitely is a better athlete. He's really clever kid in terms of schoolwork and such, so it bodes well for his mental capabilities.

His arm strength is consistently better on all types of throws, it's not Jay Cutler, but not many are. He would not still be a first round QB if he could not make those throws. What was Orton...4th rounder with suspect arm strength.

As far as awareness goes. It was more evdient last season as the offensive line was able to keep 3 people from coming free at him every play. This years version was not up to Oklahoma standards, quite honestly there were terrible before the injuries mounted. The play Bradford had been injured on, Bradford threw as he was trying to get away, how much more aware can one be?

He is athletic and cerebral enough to stand in the pocket behind a decent NFL O-line.

This year at OU, the OC said that the TE/C was the best Olineman we had. That shows how bad it was.

SoDak Bronco
12-15-2009, 11:40 AM
I would. We spent a first on this Alphonzo Smith kid. Are we going to keep drafting position players year after year like Shanahan did until he finally realized the only sure thing was a trade for an established player; Champ Bailey.

Trading down would only be smart if your staff drafts well. There is nothing about the '09 selections that indicate this staff has a clue when it comes to the draft.

Knowshon Moreno -leading rookie RB's in yards
Robert Ayers - nickle rusher/plenty of upside (playing much better then moss ever did)
Darcel McBath- Very good ST and solid backup behind Dawk and Hill, showed flashes
David Bruton-Very good ST gunner
Brandstater- still up in the air, but looked decent in preseason
Seth Olson- made 53 roster, backup
Kenny Mckinnly-made 53, backup

Yeah you are right, are staff doesn't have any clue what they are doing. Great insight, maybe wait a few seasons before you make such statements.

Durango
12-15-2009, 11:56 AM
Robert Ayers - nickle rusher/plenty of upside (playing much better then moss ever did)
Darcel McBath- Very good ST and solid backup behind Dawk and Hill, showed flashes

Yeah you are right, are staff doesn't have any clue what they are doing. Great insight, maybe wait a few seasons before you make such statements.

No, I'll make them now. Moreno is a journeyman RB in a class of high pick, journeyman RBs. Probably durable, although even that's suspect. Ayers 'upside' shows about 1 or two plays every other game. Not what you hope for in a #1. Smith and Quinn are marginal contributors. much, much less production than what you need that high in the draft. McBath shows real promise, so there's a saving grace. ST gunners are guys you bring in every year through FA, not the 3rd round. Brandstater, Olsen and McKinney are young men occupying roster spots. The fact they made the roster only tells you McDaniels wanted to re-make the team and is hoping they can develop. Nothing more.

Like I said, not a lot to take from '09. Maybe they'll produce in '10, maybe '11. Never can tell, they could be late bloomers.

gyldenlove
12-15-2009, 12:02 PM

Interestingly both Moss and Crowder were able to get at least 1 sack in their rookie years, time is running out on that for Ayers - but maybe Jamarcus or Charlie Frye will giftwrap him one on Sunday.

Mountain Bronco
12-15-2009, 12:12 PM
Wait, he lacks ideal range (ie he is slow) but is a 3 down coverage linebacker??? That doesn't make sense. Also, it isn't a need position IMO. Need is interior DL and OL and possibly CB, which is freaking unbelievable considering the picks we have spent on that position. WR and running back depth can be had in rounds 4-6.

Mountain Bronco
12-15-2009, 12:14 PM
Interestingly both Moss and Crowder were able to get at least 1 sack in their rookie years, time is running out on that for Ayers - but maybe Jamarcus or Charlie Frye will giftwrap him one on Sunday.

Sack or not,Ayers has played more and more effectively than either of those two stiffs. It isn't always about the "stats".

gyldenlove
12-15-2009, 12:16 PM
If the draft falls like that it will be either Joe Haden or Mclain.

Paladin
12-15-2009, 12:43 PM
I would think the trade down scenario make the most sense and I have been saying that for a few weeks.... There is the money issue as Cut pointed out, but there is also the idea that there are a boatload of good players in the later picks. I am not sure what Seth Olsen will do, but he is a big dude, and seems like a LG prospect. A Big C and a LG to go with Clady would just be ideal....

I also like the idea of maybe going after Wilfork and the G from NE. While I am sure a lot of people would shudder at the "NE-ization" of the Broncso, if it helps to win the Division, I don't give a damm, bring them on.....

oubronco
12-15-2009, 12:55 PM
I know you guys will call me homer and all that jazz, and that's fine, but we are within striking distance of Bradford. He is the cerebral type QB with all the physical tools you would need to succeed in McD's offense. His arm strength would immediately give you another dimension that our offense is lacking these days. Being able to stretch the defense another 10-15 yards would do wonders for our running game, which has been doing really well despite the constant 8 in the box looks. I know folks are worried about his shoulder but Dr. Andrews did the Surgery to repair the AC joint, and after chatting with a few orthopedic surgeons, I have no doubts that he will be as good as new by next training camp. Draft time though, may be a little tough. Also, lets not forget Drew Brees who had a terrible shoulder injury only to come back and compete at a higher level. Bradford is a tremendous athlete. He was an all state basketball player and Golfer here in OK, so he is very athletic. I have no doubt the guy will be an awesome NFL QB in the future.

Having seen him play since HS, that is my somewhat insightful opinion.

I would love to see McD draft Bradford he is a very accurate Qb that hits his WR's in stride and has the arm to throw the long ball with accuracy as well

Paladin
12-15-2009, 12:58 PM
The draft will actually depend on the FA activity.....

oubronco
12-15-2009, 12:58 PM
His arm strength is consistently better on all types of throws, it's not Jay Cutler, but not many are. He would not still be a first round QB if he could not make those throws. What was Orton...4th rounder with suspect arm strength.

As far as awareness goes. It was more evdient last season as the offensive line was able to keep 3 people from coming free at him every play. This years version was not up to Oklahoma standards, quite honestly there were terrible before the injuries mounted. The play Bradford had been injured on, Bradford threw as he was trying to get away, how much more aware can one be?

He is athletic and cerebral enough to stand in the pocket behind a decent NFL O-line.

This year at OU, the OC said that the TE/C was the best Olineman we had. That shows how bad it was.

It was not a good year in Norman the O-line was atrocious but they did bring in some good prospects so maybe they will be back atop the Big12 next year

gyldenlove
12-15-2009, 01:00 PM
Sack or not,Ayers has played more and more effectively than either of those two stiffs. It isn't always about the "stats".

You say that, but how good is a pass rusher with no sacks? Playing more has little to do with how good you are, Nate Webster played a lot more than Woodyard last year, but who of the two is better? The one who still has a job.

Br0nc0Buster
12-15-2009, 01:01 PM
I wouldnt mind Bradford
I saw a lot of OU games and he is talented and seems like a smart player
The only concern I have with him is if he can play well consistently under pressure, the year they went to the NC game he wasnt touched all year
But if we draft him though he should get a good line so it may not be a problem either way

My goal is to get the best player that fits our scheme, if it happens to be a qb then I am fine with that.
Unless Josh just really likes someone like Bradford or like Mallet I dont think we will draft one

As of right now Haden and McClain seem like good fits for us

Durango
12-15-2009, 01:03 PM
The draft will actually depend on the FA activity.....

You're right, of course. Addressing that interior O-line may actually be more a FA priority than the draft considering how long it takes many linemen to get up to NFL speed at the pro level.

Br0nc0Buster
You say that, but how good is a pass rusher with no sacks? Playing more has little to do with how good you are, Nate Webster played a lot more than Woodyard last year, but who of the two is better? The one who still has a job.

Ayers is more disruptive than Moss ever was
Moss was garbage all the time, Ayers at least blows up plays

Besides Ayers wasnt drafted to be a high sack guy
People who didnt watch him in college keep complaining about something he wasnt really brought in to do

I would like to see him have more of an impact, but to just look at his stats and base opinions off that is stupid

s0phr0syne
It was not a good year in Norman the O-line was atrocious but they did bring in some good prospects so maybe they will be back atop the Big12 next year

At home, I'd say the Sooners were probably already the best team in the big 12 this year. I have no idea why they would totally **** their pants on the road, but put up such dominant performances at home. It was amazing how schizophrenic the team was. Except for TT and Nebraska, the losses were extremely close, toss-up type games.

But coming back to Bradford, I think you guys are overestimating his prowess. But who knows, maybe I'm just being too skeptical.

LonghornBronco
12-15-2009, 01:07 PM
I also like Bradford (go figure), especially with Orton for the next year or so While Bradford heals/learns/builds some NFL thickness.

The best thing about Bradford is his feet, next his accuracy, and then maybe his ability to read defenses and quickly go through his progressions and deliver the ball on time and in stride. He has NFL caliber length and his arm, although not the strongest, is NFL ready.

I like him best if available at 8, otherwise McClain is a good choice.

Mr.Meanie
12-15-2009, 01:14 PM
ST gunners are guys you bring in every year through FA, not the 3rd round.

That's the same damn attitude Shanny had every year which is why we were consistantly in the bottom of the league in field position.

I LOVE that McD gets how important special teams play and field position is. I know it messes up the couch-guru's mock draft boards, but it wins football games.

lex
12-15-2009, 01:16 PM
So, what's wrong with what Andra Davis has been doing? I'd say he's been a bright spot.

Nothing but he's getting older and when you picking in the top 10 you want BPA. McClain seems to be one of the safer picks in the top 10.

s0phr0syne
12-15-2009, 01:20 PM
ST gunners are guys you bring in every year through FA, not the 3rd round.

How about the 4th? Not solely trying to be an ass, but I'm legitimately curious about where he could have been drafted (if at all, maybe you think we should get ST purely through FA and UDFA) and you would have felt that it was "appropriate?"

Durango
12-15-2009, 01:22 PM
How about the 4th?

Whatever. Apparently doesn't matter in the scheme of things. I mean, we took a college FA TE with a second. Why do the rounds matter?

And I don't know where these people should be drafted. I just know when they show up, they don't seem to perform as advertised. It seriously stalled this franchise under Shanahan, and McDaniels doesn't seem all that much better at it. When you consider Joshs' target list is 10 players long, you'd at least think they'd be scouted sufficiently.

lex
12-15-2009, 01:23 PM
I would love to see McD draft Bradford he is a very accurate Qb that hits his WR's in stride and has the arm to throw the long ball with accuracy as well

homer

Garcia Bronco
12-15-2009, 01:25 PM
That 8 looks sweet

outdoor_miner
12-15-2009, 01:37 PM
No, I'll make them now... blah blah blah blah blah blah... Maybe they'll produce in '10, maybe '11. Never can tell, they could be late bloomers.

Does not compute... :)

BroncoMan4ever
12-15-2009, 01:54 PM

why are so many down on Davis?

of our ILBs i think he has been the better of the 2. DJ is constantly out of place and making bad reads. he makes a ton of tackles, but tends to make the wrong read a lot of times.

Davis doesn't have tremendous athleticism at his age, but he is still playing really well.

lex
12-15-2009, 02:00 PM

of our ILBs i think he has been the better of the 2. DJ is constantly out of place and making bad reads. he makes a ton of tackles, but tends to make the wrong read a lot of times.

Davis doesn't have tremendous athleticism at his age, but he is still playing really well.

I dont think most see McClain as a "need" pick.

Hercules Rockefeller
12-15-2009, 02:19 PM
That 8 looks sweet

McShay is wrong, they pick 9th. The pick to Seattle is also 24th, not 23rd like TMc has it.

Hercules Rockefeller
12-15-2009, 02:20 PM

I'm not down on Davis. He only signed a two-year deal and I think McClain would be a great replacement.

Dendave
12-15-2009, 02:31 PM
Trade our #1 and Marshall to St Louis and draft Suh

Rabb
12-15-2009, 03:11 PM

I was wondering if we packaged our #1 and someone if we could pull it off

I am here to say I would absolutely pull the trigger on that one, not sure if Marshall is the one I would give up though...he is a game changer on offense

but a package deal for Suh, sign me up

oubronco
12-15-2009, 03:12 PM
homer

Damn straight :thumbsup:

oubronco
12-15-2009, 03:14 PM

:spit: :spit:

lex
12-15-2009, 03:14 PM
Damn straight :thumbsup:

People are still saying that?

oubronco
12-15-2009, 03:16 PM
People are still saying that?

Damn straight

lex
12-15-2009, 03:17 PM
Damn straight

LOL. I guess everyone probably also has or wants a new camaro too.

oubronco
12-15-2009, 03:18 PM
LOL. I guess everyone probably also has or wants a new camaro too.

Damn straight

Popps
12-15-2009, 03:35 PM

Personally, I'm not down on him at all. I think he's been fantastic. Word is that he's slowed a bit as the season has gone on. I don't know how true that is. But, I do know we could use another ILB project.

We need more hammers in the front seven.

We need a Ray Lewis type in the middle.

We need to continue to beef the lines up, but I think there are a lot of good options out in FA for the DL.

Mr.Meanie
12-15-2009, 03:52 PM

Dear god no...

cutthemdown
12-15-2009, 03:56 PM
Personally, I'm not down on him at all. I think he's been fantastic. Word is that he's slowed a bit as the season has gone on. I don't know how true that is. But, I do know we could use another ILB project.

We need to continue to beef the lines up, but I think there are a lot of good options out in FA for the DL.

In all honesty Haggan, Davis, Hill, Goodman are all rent a vets. Dawkins is a rent a star.

Broncos can still look to add young talent at every spot on the defense. OLB, ILB, DE all make sense. OG/C also make sense.

Tombstone RJ
12-15-2009, 04:10 PM

McD would never do this. As much as I like Suh, it's not worth trading up to get him.

Supposedly this is a strong draft for dline. If the Broncos can't find other dline talent in this draft, then there is a problem.

Tombstone RJ
12-15-2009, 04:13 PM
In all honesty Haggan, Davis, Hill, Goodman are all rent a vets. Dawkins is a rent a star.

Broncos can still look to add young talent at every spot on the defense. OLB, ILB, DE all make sense. OG/C also make sense.

Smart lady. :thumbsup:

Build from the inside out. We have the skill positions in place (I know people want to say Orton ain't all that, but he's a winner).

NFLBRONCO
12-15-2009, 04:17 PM

Bowlen wants to pay top pick money ROFL!

nickademus
12-15-2009, 06:05 PM

This should be bolded and repeated for everyone on the board to read, re-read, and then read again so possibly they might understand.

This guy is an absolute beast besides with all of the die hard refrences we will get he has to be our pick if we stay in the 12-8 range. I for one would prefer a trade down take Spikes and the NT from Tenn. I would also like to see a few road graders taken in the 2nd and 3rd to stablize our line IMHO this is our biggest offencive weakness this year.

epicSocialism4tw
12-15-2009, 06:48 PM
http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft10/insider/news/story?id=4730972

By Todd McShay
ESPN.com
OK ... Let's try this again. Our first run at our first 2010 mock draft hit a little speed bump when our projected No. 1 overall pick -- Washington QB Jake Locker -- announced he is returning to school for his senior season. So after reviewing team needs, we once again bring out the 2010 mock first round.

We've ordered this first round according to current NFL standings, and ties between teams with identical records are broken based on 2009 strength of schedule, with the team with the weaker strength of schedule getting the higher pick.

The purpose of this early mock draft is to get a feel for the top players on the board and where they might fit into the first round. We include the top draft-eligible underclassmen in this, and while it might bite us occasionally (see Locker, Jake), it gives a better and more fair representation of what the first round might eventually look like, as opposed to if we were to do this with only the senior prospects.

As it stands right now, defensive players and offensive tackles rule the top 10, with a quarterback and safety thrown in the mix as well.

St. Louis RamsRecord: 1-12Ndamukong Suh, DT, Nebraska
Reach for a quarterback or take the top defensive lineman in the class? Tough call, but we think the Rams should take Suh. Anyone who saw the Big 12 championship game knows what kind of effect the explosive Suh can have on a game. He is a disruptive run defender with the arm strength to toss aside blockers and the quickness to make plays behind the line of scrimmage. Although he isn't the most polished pass-rusher, he clearly has great potential in this area.

The Bucs might be hesitant to take a safety with the second overall selection, but we believe he's the premier prospect in the 2010 class. Much like the Baltimore Ravens' All-Pro Ed Reed, Berry is a game changer with exceptional versatility.

Cleveland BrownsRecord: 2-11Derrick Morgan*, DE, Georgia Tech
Morgan can anchor at the point of attack, make plays in pursuit, get to the quarterback coming off the edge and drop into coverage. That type of versatility would be a nice addition to a Browns defensive front seven that lacks difference-makers.

Detroit LionsRecord: 2-11Gerald McCoy*, DT, Oklahoma
The Lions are in dire need of a difference-maker along the defensive front, and McCoy is the prototypical 3-technique with the quick first step and power to make a living in opposing backfields.

Kansas City ChiefsRecord: 3-10Russell Okung, OT, Oklahoma State
Help up front might be Kansas City's greatest need. LOT Branden Albert -- a first-round pick in 2008 -- has had problems staying healthy, and he could slide to the right side or even inside to guard if the Chiefs land a franchise left tackle. Okung is the most complete offensive tackle prospect in this class and could provide that piece of the puzzle for Kansas City.

Oakland RaidersRecord: 4-9Carlos Dunlap*, DE, Florida
Dunlap is very much a buyer-beware prospect. On one hand, an arrest on DUI charges the week of the SEC championship game and questions about his work ethic raise red flags. On the other hand, 290-pound defensive linemen who move as well as he does are few and far between.

Washington RedskinsRecord: 4-9Sam Bradford*, QB, Oklahoma
Surgery on his throwing shoulder and concerns about the scheme he played in at Oklahoma caused Bradford to fall behind Locker on our board. On the other hand, Bradford has the physical tools and football IQ to quickly develop into an effective starting NFL quarterback.

Denver Broncos (from 5-8 Chicago)Record: 8-5Rolando McClain*, ILB, Alabama

Seattle SeahawksRecord: 5-8Trent Williams, OT, Oklahoma
Williams moved from the right to the left side this year, and while he didn't fare as well this season as he had in previous seasons, he is capable of quickly developing into an effective NFL starting right tackle. He is a tough runblocker who drives his feet once in position, and he can hold his own in pass protection when his footwork is sound.

Buffalo BillsRecord: 5-8Anthony Davis*, OT, Rutgers
Davis comes with a bit of baggage, but there isn't an offensive lineman in the 2010 class with a better combination of size and agility.

San Francisco 49ersRecord: 6-7Joe Haden*, CB, Florida
San Francisco's pass defense has been a liability this year, and the 49ers need to inject some youth and talent into their cornerback unit. Haden is the best cover corner in his class, has the burst to stalk receivers underneath and shows the speed to run with them downfield.

Pittsburgh SteelersRecord: 6-7Bruce Campbell*, OT, Maryland
Campbell is a work in progress and could benefit from another year in college, but he's shooting up draft boards after a strong 2009 season and may be too talented to pass up for the Steelers, who need help at offensive tackle.

San Francisco 49ers (from 5-8 Carolina)Record: 6-7Sergio Kindle, DE/OLB, Texas
San Francisco could reach for an offensive lineman like Bryan Bulaga here, but in our opinion Kindle is too good a value to pass up here. Though he has to improve his ability to anchor against the run, he has the burst and agility base 3-4 defenses covet at outside linebacker.

Houston TexansRecord: 6-7Earl Thomas**, S, Texas
Like Berry, there isn't much Thomas can't do on a football field. He can match up with slot receivers, blitz off the edge, has great range in coverage and steps up in run support.

Tennessee TitansRecord: 6-7Jason Pierre-Paul*, DE, South Florida
Pierre-Paul wreaks havoc off the edge and would be a nice addition to the Titans, whose defensive ends are showing signs of aging.

Atlanta FalconsRecord: 6-7Navorro Bowman*, OLB, Penn State
The Falcons need an impact player at cornerback, but the next-best corner, Florida State's Patrick Robinson, is not worth taking this early. Bowman has some off-the-field baggage but he might be the best all-around athlete at linebacker in this year's class.

Baltimore RavensRecord: 7-6Dez Bryant*, WR, Oklahoma State
Baltimore needs to give 2008 first-round pick and franchise QB Joe Flacco a playmaker at receiver. Bryant was ruled ineligible by the NCAA earlier this season, but teams have seen more than enough to know he can stretch the field.

Jacksonville JaguarsRecord: 7-6Bruce Carter*, OLB, North Carolina
Jacksonville could upgrade at outside linebacker and Carter would be an excellent value here. He would benefit from adding some bulk to his frame but he's a rangy run stopper and he shows above-average ball skills in coverage.

New York GiantsRecord: 7-6Brandon Spikes*, ILB, Florida
Antonio Pierce sustained a season-ending neck injury and has just one year left on his contract, so Spikes would be a good fit as a future replacement. While injuries slowed Spikes this year, he is an instinctive run stopper who can make plays all over the field when he's healthy. He's also flashed big-play ability in coverage.

New York JetsRecord: 7-6Bryan Bulaga*, OT, Iowa
Bulaga plays a bit high and his footwork could be better, but the Jets need help at tackle and he's the best available.

Miami DolphinsRecord:7-6Golden Tate*, WR, Notre Dame
Tate is a bit of a reach this high, but the Dolphins are in desperate need of a playmaker at wide receiver and he's the next best one this class has to offer behind Bryant.

Arizona CardinalsRecord: 8-5Jermaine Gresham, TE, Oklahoma
Gresham missed the entire 2009 season with a knee injury, and he doesn't offer much as a run blocker. However, our film evaluation makes it clear that he has what it to takes to develop into one of the most productive and dangerous receiving tight ends in the league.

Seattle Seahawks (from 8-5 Denver)Record: 5-8Jimmy Clausen*, QB, Notre Dame

Dallas CowboysRecord: 8-5Taylor Mays, S, USC
We've seen Mays get caught out of position far too often to move him ahead of Berry or Thomas. However, it's rare to find defensive backs with Mays' size/speed combination, and he would be an upgrade for the Cowboys.

New England PatriotsRecord: 8-5Ricky Sapp, DE/OLB, Clemson
New England desperately needs to improve its pedestrian pass rush and Sapp has the burst to provide that much-needed spark. He has lined up primarily at end in college but has shown he can be effective working out of a two-point stance and would be a good fit for the Patriots' base 3-4 defense.

Green Bay PackersRecord: 9-4C.J. Spiller, RB, Clemson
In this scenario, Spiller slides down the board and Green Bay wins the lottery. Spiller would add a big-play element to the running game and his ability to motion out into the slot makes him an excellent fit for the Packers' pass-heavy scheme.

Cincinnati BengalsRecord: 9-4Marvin Austin*, DT, North Carolina
Cincinnati leads the league in rushing defense but having quality depth and talent at defensive tackle is essential to stay on top of the AFC North, so adding Austin makes sense. He's a stout interior run defender and powerful bull rusher.

Philadelphia EaglesRecord: 9-4Vladimir Ducasse, OT, Massachusetts
Ducasse is 330 pounds and his feet may not be quick enough to hold up at left tackle, where he played at UMass, but he still moves well for his size and we think he could develop into a starting right tackle. If he doesn't pan out at tackle he has the makings of an excellent guard.

San Diego ChargersRecord: 10-3Jonathan Dwyer*, RB, Georgia Tech
Darren Sproles is an excellent change-of-pace back but he's too small to be the primary ball carrier, and 30-year-old LaDainian Tomlinson hasn't looked the same the past two years. Taking Dwyer here would give the Chargers a physical between-the-tackles runner capable of carrying the ball 20-plus times and setting up the play-action package.

Minnesota VikingsRecord: 11-2Brian Price*, DT, UCLA
Price is said to be leaning toward entering the upcoming draft. He's a quick and powerful defender who could provide some much-needed depth behind aging starters Kevin Williams and Pat Williams.

Indianapolis ColtsRecord: 13-0Jared Odrick, DT, Penn State
Odrick doesn't have great athletic ability but he's quick, flashes the ability to shed blocks quickly and plays with a nonstop motor, making him a good fit for an Indianapolis organization looking to upgrade its run defense.

New Orleans SaintsRecord: 13-0Dan Williams, DT, Tennessee
Williams is a reach here, but like Indianapolis, the Saints should be looking to upgrade their run defense, and adding the 311-pound Williams would be a step in the right direction.

I just dont see how you can rationalize taking a safety #2 overall.

SoDak Bronco
12-15-2009, 07:03 PM

I guess if you think he is a Ed Reed, Troy Palamalu type blue chip safety you pull the trigger.

epicSocialism4tw
12-15-2009, 07:07 PM
I guess if you think he is a Ed Reed, Troy Palamalu type blue chip safety you pull the trigger.

I dont think that Ed Reed carries that much value, but maybe Polamalu...only if there werent any linemen or skill players worth grabbing.

Safeties are a tough thing to guage between college and the pros.

epicSocialism4tw
12-15-2009, 07:10 PM
homer

Ha!

You calling someone a homer is naturally ironic.

Bob
12-15-2009, 07:21 PM

I have not watched him play -- can he move? Is he motivated? Is he a "football player" first? Each year, being the homer that I am, I get sucked into "how cool would it be to get" some giant DT, like "Back-flip-boy" who looked impressive as a professional wrestler, but that's about it...

Florida_Bronco
12-15-2009, 07:41 PM
What was Orton...4th rounder with suspect arm strength.

Orton has never had "suspect arm strength".

You can basically forget a quarterback in round one. Orton has, at the very least, played at a high enough level to earn himself another year as a starter. Competition will come from Brandstater, although I wouldn't mind picking up Tebow if he falls into the 2nd round.

I'm also not crazy about spending a early to mid first round pick on a linebacker. Linebackers are probably the easiest position to draft for and with two linebacker gurus (Nolan and Martindale) on staff I don't think we need to make that kind of investment there, at least this year.

Upgrading the interior line needs to be a high priority, as does upgrading the defensive line, although one or the other may be done in free agency.

DBroncos4life
12-15-2009, 08:28 PM
If Bradford is there you have to draft him. He would have been the first QB drafted last year if he entered the draft and this year had he not been hurt.

HAT
12-15-2009, 08:42 PM

And I don't see how you can rationalize quoting a screen and a half worth of text only to type a one sentence reply....When you could've just quoted this part:

:~ohyah!:

Great13
12-15-2009, 08:48 PM
If the draft goes down like this... you either grab Clausen and run.. or you trade down and try to grab a two for one. McClain isn't THAT much better than Spikes. You trade down grab Spikes and try to get Cody/Dan Williams near the top of the 2nd. But no way do you walk away from the number 8 spot in a deep draft without taking a QB, a Blue Chip franchise guy, or getting a couple of VERY good prospects in a deal.

lex
12-15-2009, 08:53 PM
Ha!

You calling someone a homer is naturally ironic.

Where have I been lobbying for Tebow?

SoonerBronco
12-15-2009, 10:46 PM
Orton has never had "suspect arm strength".

Yes, he has. He has always been "vertically challenged" when throwing deep.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/2005/draft/players/60508.html

barryr
12-16-2009, 06:23 AM
A defensive player in the front 7 is the biggest need for sure, but still believe you go with BPA, which is doubtful it will be a QB. Orton haters, Cutler lovers can want a QB all day long, but drafting a QB in the 1st round seems idiotic and stupid for the Broncos to do. This defense's effectivenesss has had more to do with schemes than individual talent. And as I have pointed out since the start of the season, I doubt Nolan believes he has all the pieces he needs or wants for his defense, so more help is needed. Eventually talent or lack of will come out, you can only scheme your way for so long without a lack of talent being exposed.

BroncoInferno
12-16-2009, 06:28 AM

Cody is not projected as a 1st rounder by several projections I've seen, believe it or not. I think the big reason is he only plays like 40% of the snaps at Alabama.

lex
12-16-2009, 04:23 PM
Cody is not projected as a 1st rounder by several projections I've seen, believe it or not. I think the big reason is he only plays like 40% of the snaps at Alabama.

The thing is though, that our second will be a low second. That Smith move is really looming large now. Just think. We could possibly be looking at McClain and Cody. McClain and Iupati, or Bradford and Cody. Oy vay.